- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N: Please forgive any mistakes made. I rushed at times getting this chapter ready to post. Story notes at the end. 


 

"That can't be. Seth left a note confessing to everything. I found it." Justin shook his head in adamant denial. "He ran away. I know he did."

 

"No, Justin. He didn't." Brian worried for the first time in seventy-five years of being a vampire. If Justin was repelled by him now after his own confession, not only was it over between them, it would be the end of his life here as well. No matter how easy of a solution, Brian would not agree with Ben's answer to the dilemma. He had never killed anyone that was good. He wouldn't start with Justin. No matter how Justin responded to the truth, Justin's life would not be in peril. He cared too much about the addictive blond.

 

Fuck. Cared? Brian didn't know how it was possible with his undead heart...but he cared about Justin Taylor. He wanted him to stay here with him, but he wanted everything to be open and honest between them. "Justin, I need you to know that I have never killed anyone that exhibited anything good inside of them. Seth was no different. He was vile. His criminal act against you wasn't merely to control you; although, he did desire you." Brian laughed harshly. "Who wouldn't?"

 

"What are you saying, Brian? I - I mean, what do you know about Seth that I didn't?" Justin demanded, unable to fathom how Brian could have a deeper understanding of his former boyfriend than he did himself. 

 

"Justin, as a vampire I have an ability to compel answers from my victims. Once I have a mere drop of their blood, I can compel them to follow my commands, and tell me anything I want to know. Seth knew about your inheritance. Everything he did was to steal that from you. My lack of faith in the justice system forced my hand. His thoughts were completely evil regarding you and his long-term plans. I wasn't going to allow him to escape, only to do this to someone else." Brian didn't look away from Justin's accusing stare. Now that he had opened this door, there was no going back. Brian didn't even look away when he heard Ben screaming in his mind. His brother was enraged, and he wouldn't be surprised if he broke down the door to his bedroom to seek him out. Continuing, knowing he would need to separate from Justin soon in order to handle his brother, Brian told him, "I will need to speak with Ben soon. He's upset that I am opening up to you. Obviously, he fears what you will do with the information."

 

"What I will do?" Justin gasped. "It's clear that either one of you could incapacitate me...or worse. Not to mention that I am in your house, out in the middle of nowhere, with no one the wiser of my whereabouts...not that there's anyone to even tell." Justin shook his head in disgust as Brian's declaration about Seth completely assailed him. He didn't care that Seth was dead by Brian's hand. A very small part of him felt guilty about that. 

 

Brian couldn't stop himself from flinching at the fear that Justin couldn't quite keep from his eyes, or even his voice. Typically, that was the response the predator in him craved and exploited. He didn't want Justin's fear. He only wanted his desire and devotion. "I have already told you that I will not harm you."

 

"Right. So you are saying that you and your brother would allow me to walk out of here untouched, not knowing if I would shout out the truth to anyone and everyone," Justin scoffed, not the least bit delusional.

 

Brian's gaze became primal and cold for a moment. Was that what Justin was saying? Had he opened up to him for nothing? Risked everything for a man that wouldn't look deeper than his actions and words and see the meaning behind all of them? "Are you telling me that's what you want to do?"

 

Justin knew he was a fool. That was exactly what he should do...but he knew that was the last thing he wanted. "No, Brian. I don't want that. I just want to understand, and figure out a way to go on from this point."

 

"I want that too, Justin...but I don't want to rush through any of it. You have already made so many discoveries tonight with your mind just beginning to heal. I don't want it to be too much..." Brian told the younger man, not even attempting to hide the uncharacteristic concern in his voice.

 

Justin smiled briefly, his eyes closing for a brief moment. There was no denying he was getting tired...but he had so many questions. How could he sleep with them all tossing and turning in his mind? "I am tired, but I have so many questions---"

 

"I know you do, and we have all the time in the world to discuss them. How about this? You lay down here and get some sleep while I go speak to Ben. If you are awake when I return, then we can talk some more. If not, we can cover the rest tomorrow."

 

Nodding, Justin agreed, despite wanting certain answers now. A clear head would lead to the right questions being asked, and he desperately wanted to do that. "Okay, I will try. You don't mind if I stay here in your room? I can go back to my room...if you prefer."

 

Brian shook his head, his eyes possessive on the blond. "My preference would be that you never leave my bed...but, it's however you are most comfortable."

 

Turning around, Justin fluffed the pillows into a more comfortable position. Immediately he snuggled until the silken bedding and pillows, his eyes fluttering closed for a long moment. Sighing in comfort, uncertain how he could feel so ease with what he knew now, Justin told Brian, "I will be fine right here."

 

Brian opened his mouth to answer, frowning when he noticed how Justin had instantly fallen asleep. He couldn't fathom it. The fact that Justin felt so at ease in his presence made him feel things he couldn't understand. During his entire vampire existence, he had been devoid of any remaining emotions that had been present in his human life. This man comes into his life and he begins to feel for the first time. Brian wasn't sure what to make of that, but he didn't have any intention of fighting it. 

 

They had much to discuss and resolve yet...but they were finally together. Brian was determined that they would stay together.

 


Silently closing his door; unbeknownst to Justin, securely locking the door for his own protection, Brian rushed down the stairs, knowing he should find Ben in the most secluded corner of the house, his study. He wasn't taking any chances until he had spoken with Ben. Access to Justin would not be allowed. Brian could feel Ben's anger through their bond. At this moment, his brother was capable of anything.

 

Stepping into his study, Brian closed the door with a quiet click, his expression tight and unyielding as he stared into the fiery flames in his brother's eyes. "Well brother, say your peace, and then I will say mine---"

 

"My peace, Brian?" Ben angrily roared. "DO you have any idea what you have just done?"

 

"I will tell you again, brother. I know what I am doing..." Brian snarled, uncaring about Ben's wrath, realizing he had allowed his older, and slightly more powerful brother to push him around for too long now. "Also, I will remind you that you are not forced to stay here and watch me make a mistake; although, I don't believe that one has been made---"

 

Ben's eyes remained blazing, his fangs uncharacteristically extending. He had never exhibited such aggression toward Brian in anger; however, Ben blamed Brian for his response. "You are thinking with your dick, Brian!" Ben roared. "You have revealed everything to an untrustworthy human. I forbid him to leave this house! And if he does, there is only one option...and you know what that must be."

 

Brian moved closer to his brother, his own fangs suddenly extending, his eyes glowing brightly, an identical match to his brother's. "You forbid it!? You are not in charge of me or my relationships, brother. This interference is going to end tonight. Justin is dealing with enough. He won't be dealing with your irrational behavior..."

 

"Irrational behavior?" Ben hissed. "Do you even hear what you're saying, Brian? This human has twisted your mind into complete mush. You have no self-preservation instincts. That being so, he must be removed from your life. Your revelations to him have doomed the both of us. But...I can fix it."

 

"You will not touch him, Benjamin. I won't tell you again. If you persist in your thoughts of harming him, not only won't you be welcome in my home...you will be banished from my life as well." Brian couldn't believe the threats he was issuing. For the entirety of his vampire life, and his human life as well, his big brother had been his role model and the man he looked to for answers. Severing Ben from his life was a painful idea, but Justin's safety meant even more to him. Whether he understood it or not, Justin was everything to him. They wouldn't be apart. "I don't want to lose you brother, but my choice is clear."

 

Ben stared at his brother in disbelief, his fangs retracting. "Fuck, Brian. This is worse than I ever imagined. I don't know how it's possible...but you love him. A human..." he sneered.

 

"You forget that I was a human once, brother...as you were too." Brian rolled his eyes, unable to admit that Ben's words were true, but realizing that was the only explanation why he had felt so drawn to Justin, and why he had to be honest with him. Brian knew that he could have hidden the truth from Justin indefinitely, but he hadn't wanted any secrets between them. Full disclosure was what he'd wanted, and it was what they had now, whether Justin could accept that or not. "If it makes you feel any better, I do have a contingency plan if Justin recoils from me."

 

"Yeah, I do too..." Ben growled, not leaving any doubt about what he meant.

 

"That's not going to happen, Ben. My plan is simple. If Justin can't accept me for who I am, I will just keep him here until we can safely leave. Reinventing my life isn't that difficult. The benefit of being wealthy..." Brian needlessly informed his brother. "However, I don't think that will be necessary. I may not be able to compel Justin, but I can feel what he feels. He wants me, and I believe that will override any hesitation."

 

"Justin's memory returning has enhanced his fairy abilities. Soon he will be having more vivid visions. We have no way of knowing when he will have them, or of how much they will reveal. That is something to be aware of, Brian." Whereas he had decided not to take the choice of Justin's mortality out of Brian's hands, he would continue to issue dire warnings...all of which he believed could be his brother's reality. 

 

"I am well aware of every possibility, Benjamin. I am not a baby vampire; I do know how to read people whether they are compelled or not. Justin wants to be with me. I can sense it. Until I am sure, though, he will remain here. I hope that gives you some comfort." Brian knew he sounded more confident than he actually was. In actuality, until Justin voiced a commitment one way or another, he would have doubts.

 

Ben was about to answer when they both turned upon hearing footsteps hurriedly moving toward the staircase, their enhanced hearing making them able to hear from far away. "Surely he isn't making a run for it when we are obviously both awake and alert?"

 

"Of course not. Something must be wrong. Dreams brought him to me in the first place tonight. Memories of his past completely returning to him. He probably had more of them..." Brian surmised, rushing from the study to the bottom of the long staircase, waiting as Justin hurriedly descended them. "Justin? Is something wrong?"

 

Justin nervously looked at Ben staring at him suspiciously, before focusing on Brian's tense, but concerned gaze. "Uhhh, yes...no, I don't k-know. More dreams...but this time they weren't about me. I uhmmm saw what you did to Seth, and not only that, I could hear everything, even Seth's thoughts---"

 

Brian gave Ben a warning glance when he heard him growling behind him, clearly prepared to protect and defend his younger brother. "Ignore him, Justin. Ben is concerned about how you will ultimately process everything you have been told tonight."

 

"I understand that, and I wasn't sure after hearing about Seth...but now that I saw what happened that night, and the vile thoughts he had not only about me, or anyone else he could potentially victimize for financial gain, I'm not sure you could have done anything else. It was the humane thing to do as crazy as that sounds." Justin couldn't believe what he was saying, or even less feeling...but he actually did condone Brian's predatory and completely ruthless actions. In fact, he was thankful for them.

 

Ben's jaw dropped, sudden understanding overwhelming him. Justin wasn't a threat. Perhaps he never had been. Whether Justin realized it or not, he was in love with Brian. He could feel Justin's devotion in the small amount of blood that connected them. Stepping around his brother, he moved closer to Justin, for the first time, genuinely smiling at the special blond. His entire demeanor was now calm, so he knew Brian wouldn't view his actions as an attack. Gently, he embraced Justin, and hugged him tightly for a moment, whispering softly into his ear, "Welcome to the family, little fairy."

 

When he pulled back, he rushed through the halls and out the front door with vampire speed, leaving Brian alone with Justin, leaving Brian staring after him with a mixture of irritation and relief. Finally, Ben trusted Justin, but at the same time, he had revealed a secret that he hadn't shared with Justin yet. Brian doubted he could avoid that now.

 

"Little fairy?" Justin asked impatiently. "What's that supposed to mean?"

 

Placing his arm around Justin's waist, Brian urged him in the direction of the drawing-room, dropping a quick kiss on his cheek before he answered, "I don't have all of the answers, but your blood and your visions tell us about your true heritage. I will tell you what I know---"

 

TBC

 

A/N: I am trying to wrap this up with only one more chapter. This story has taken forever to tell, but for many reasons, I have decided to end this particular journey. The last chapter will have some intense vampire/fairy action - if you catch my meaning, and it will have a slight time jump. For now, though, I am going to get the next chapter of ‘Dark Obsession' written. I have had so many messages asking about that story, and I know it's been left for so long. After that, I will close this one out. Thanks so much for reading. I truly appreciate that!