- Text Size +

 

Brian awoke much earlier than was customary for him; primarily, because he had taken his rest earlier when his plans for the previous evening had become unexpectedly unraveled. If he had been following his victim more closely, he could have stopped him before he reached what he assumed to be his workplace. As he'd followed last night's meal into the hospital, he had discovered that he was a nurse. He had been fortunate in overhearing a conversation between him and another nurse that was about to be off duty. That discovery could be useful in the event he struggled with tracking the blond by any other means.

 

Remaining in his horizontal position in bed, Brian felt no need to rush. His bedroom was in the lower level of his house, airtight windows and doors protecting him from the sunlight that weakened him. Contrary to myths and the countless stories written about his kind, he could survive in the direct sunlight; however, his powers and senses became less effective. In the unlikely occurrence that an enemy threatened, that weakness could be a problem.

 

Moving his hand to the table next to his bed, Brian reached for his cell phone, scrolling through his messages with one sweep of a finger. Another power he possessed. He could read a long series of entries in a mere instant. Often, that was a very useful skill. Brian scowled when he saw the identity of who had sent a large number of messages.

 

Michael Novotny. Brian shook his head in irritation. He had only arrived in Pittsburgh a few months ago, just another move that his lifestyle forced him to make in time. It was difficult making friends, and living within a community atmosphere given the fact that he never grew older. Although mind control was always an option, it became tedious after a while, and it was difficult to determine suspicion in those that could be observing him from a distance. Because of that, he was somewhat reclusive, only coming out in the darkness of night, and inviting very few into his inner circle.

 

For the past few weeks, Michael had become a nuisance, but not by chasing after him as so many others before him had done. Michael was more personal in his stalking. Although Michael stopped by Babylon nearly every night to have a few drinks with his friends, he was also in a committed relationship. Brian sneered at the thought. Committed relationship. Instantly, it evoked a shudder in him. He couldn't fathom how any self-respecting queer could use the same labels as a breeder couple. Long ago, even when he had still been alive, he had vowed not to ever be part of a ‘couple.' Even though he had occasionally relented in his rules regarding not fucking a man more than once, he had never been personally invested in one of his tricks. He had always sworn that would never change.

 

Initially, he had thought that Michael was another victim to his aura, despite the fact that he seemed to be in a solid relationship. Even though he hadn't attempted to instill that in Michael, at times, weaker humans became susceptible to his immortal charm. A few nights ago, Brian had discovered that wasn't the case here. Michael had begun asking him to come over for dinner to meet his live-in partner, he had even suggested he bring a date if he would be more comfortable. Once more, Brian shuddered. A date? It was a revolting thought and one that would never be attributed to him. Brian Kinney didn't date. He fucked and fed. That was the beginning... and the end. Such an attachment would endanger him, and he wasn't the kind of man to take unnecessary risks.

 

When the phone began to vibrate in his hand, Brian accepted the call, realizing he needed to end this bizarre obsession - once and for all. "What time is it, Michael? And... that being so - why the fuck are you calling me?"

 

"Brian? You're awake?" Michael's voice sounded confused to the irritated immortal, not a doubt present that this call would become even more annoying. He had told all of them never to contact him before six o'clock, making it clear that he would either be sleeping or attending to business. Of course, Michael wasn't one to follow instructions.

 

"It appears so..." Brian replied blandly. "Now, I will repeat myself. What the fuck do you want?"

 

Michael grunted. "It seems that someone needed to sleep longer. Do you need to be so unpleasant?"

 


"Unpleasant?" For a moment, Brian's eyes became fiery red, the impulse to extract his fangs nearly overwhelming. The only reason he refrained from doing so was the knowledge that he didn't have a victim to either maim or feed on... preferably the latter. At the moment, Michael could easily be placed in the maim category. "You are the one who called me!"

 

"Yes, I did... and I'm beginning to regret that..." Michael continued to grumble, the whine clearly detected in his voice.

 

"Just get to the fucking point, Michael. Despite the fact that I am not sleeping today, I do have other interests outside of Babylon." Brian's eyes continued to flare as he spoke, certain that he would be forced to make a choice that would distance Michael from him. His interference in his life could become a problem, and since he had so recently settled in Pittsburgh, he wasn't looking to make another change so soon.

 

"Well, I didn't know that, Bri. You tell us so little about your life." Michael sighed dramatically, before he continued, "I just want you to meet my partner. I thought we could hang out and get to know each other better. Ben will be returning from a writer's convention in a couple of days; I wanted to make some plans."

 

Brian sat up in the bed, kicking the sheet and comforter off, before turning to sit on the side of the bed with his feet now on the floor. "Michael, I've already told you that I'm not interested. If you bring your boyfriend around the club and we meet, that's one thing, but I don't have the time or the desire to attend social events. It's not what I do."

 

"B-but..." Michael began to sputter. "I - I thought we were becoming friends. That's what friends do, Brian. We become a part of each other's lives---"

 

"Michael, be realistic. We've only known each other for a few months. You are thirty fucking years old, or however old you are. I don't know, and honestly, I don't give a fuck. We are acquaintances that hang out at my business. I like you and the rest of your friends, and undoubtedly, I appreciate your business, but that doesn't make us friends. The phone calls and texts need to stop. My answer isn't going to change." Brian was silent, a voice whispered inside of him, ‘please listen this time, I don't want to feel forced to kill you'.

 

A soft gasp was Michael's answer, followed by him clearing his throat. There wasn't a doubt that Michael was offended, but what Michael didn't realize, was that his very life could hinge on how he handled this warning going forward. "Fine. It's not like I can force you. I just thought we really hit it off and that we could all be friends. I even thought we could be best friends..."

 

"Well, you thought wrong. I don't do that. I'm a loner. It's how I live my life and it's not going to change. And now, I have things to do. Goodbye Michael." Brian ended the call, his patience with both Michael and the situation at an end.

 

A few blocks away, Michael frowned as he stared at his phone, intently looking at it as if he thought it would give him the answers to his questions. "What gives with you, Brian Kinney? You are the center of attention at your own club, interacting and mingling with everyone. But privately, you are a recluse. What are you hiding?" Michael sat down on the couch, staring silently ahead. "Perhaps if I find the answer, you will be more open to my offer of friendship." With that thought in mind, Michael reached into his pocket for his phone, immediately calling Ted, the one that had spent the most time with Brian since his arrival in Pittsburgh. Perhaps Brian's new accountant and friend to all of them would have some insight.

 


Justin smiled at his boyfriend as they almost leisurely walked down Liberty Avenue, thankful to see that Seth seemed to be returning to his old self, at least, on the outside. "Your nap must have done you good. Your color has returned."

 

Seth grunted. "Are you a medical professional now?"

 

"Hardly," Justin snapped. "This morning you were paler than I am. I am just glad it passed."

 

"Me too. It was only fatigue, Justin. Nothing for you to worry about." Seth forced himself not to sound condescending, realizing that was never the way to proceed with Justin. Often, he simply couldn't help himself, and when that happened, things never went his way. This morning had been a prime example.

 

"I worry, Seth. That's just how I am. I can't shake these visions, or how they seem to revolve around you---" Justin turned to look at Seth when he sensed him freezing at his side, his own steps stilling when he noticed the irritation on his boyfriend's face. "I'm sorry. I promised not to dwell on this, and I don't want to ruin our night out."

 

Seth rolled his eyes, uncertain if Justin could help himself. He stood by what he had tried to discuss with Justin earlier. His boyfriend needed more therapy. If he didn't relent willingly, perhaps he needed to force the issue. He wouldn't do that unless things worsened, but if they did, there were things he could do as a medical professional. He wouldn't hesitate if he thought it would benefit not only Justin but their future as well. "Let's have a couple of drinks at Woody's, and then we can check out Babylon. You'll really like it there; I know how much you love to dance."

 

Justin laughed. "As long as you're there to protect me from the big bad's, I know I'll be fine."

 

"Always..." Seth agreed, knowing he couldn't mean anything more. He had nursed Justin back to health, seduced him when he was mentally weakened, and incapable of his own rational thinking. Unethical after being his caregiver, but in his mind, the ends justified the means. He had gotten what he had wanted. There was no way he would let anyone take Justin from him.

 

As they walked inside of Woody's, they were each oblivious to eyes following their every movement, eyes that instantly became hungry, a man not the least bit hesitant of capitalizing on the gift fate was clearly handing him, no matter if his prey was with another man or not. Dark eyes narrowed into tiny slits as he watched the man handling the smaller and younger man in a proprietorial manner, a long and deep kiss exchanged between them, not a doubt in his mind that he was staking a claim for everyone in Woody's that currently eyed this hot piece of fresh meat.

 

Watching them from the far end of the bar, Brian was instantly mesmerized by the beauty of the blond, utilizing his heightened vision to see the young man's eyes, pleased to see that they were vivid blue, just as he had imagined. As the young couple ordered their drinks, Brian continued to watch them, thankful that none of the ‘gang' as Michael referred to them as had descended on him yet. He wanted to absorb everything about the couple, the blond in particular. The other man might think he had the blond chained to his side, but Brian had other ideas. It was just a matter of how to most effectively proceed.

 

Brian wished he had tasted the blond. If he had, it would be easy to compel him to glance in his direction. Once he achieved eye contact, the true hunt would begin. As he salivated in hunger, and his dick throbbed in anticipation, Brian knew he wouldn't be able to resist for long. For now, though, he would be satisfied with his observations, leaping at any opportunities that destiny afforded him. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would make his own opportunity if fate didn't work to his advantage. This man was meant for him. Brian had never felt such a strong pull to another man, victim or trick.

 

One thought prevailed, repeating itself over and over in his mind. No matter the obstacles involved, he had to have this man.

 

Brian never stopped to realize that his interest went far beyond his typical lust for a new trick. All that registered was his burning lust and hunger. Both of which, the hunter was determined to appease.

 

TBC