- Text Size +

 

Brian moved through the streets, his supernatural speed giving him a quick course to his destination. He didn't need to move at a slower pace in order to scan bodies or faces. After consuming so much of Seth's blood, he would sense him long before he encountered him. At the moment, he was uncertain how he would ultimately handle Seth's extraordinary disobedience. The simple fact that he had seemingly achieved it was his greatest concern.

 

Seth was human. He shouldn't be able to resist him, whether he had done so being away from his aura or not. There must be a reasonable explanation about why Seth had been hindered in confessing to Justin. Although, he realized it was possible if Seth hadn't been in contact with Justin as of yet. A primal growl escaped as he captured Seth's scent. It wouldn't be long before he had his answers...

 

Slowing his footsteps to a brisk, yet measured pace, Brian followed at a distance, his eyes quickly scanning their surroundings, about to make a decisive choice on when and where to attack. He was always cautious when he moved in on his prey. Despite his desire for an expeditious resolution, he wasn't inclined to take risks here. Observing that Seth was about one block from the hospital, Brian picked up his pace, realizing he needed to act now. Silently, but knowing that Seth would clearly hear his commanding thoughts, Brian imposed his will, ‘Seth... stop and come to me NOW.'

 

Instantly, Seth's footsteps stilled, his body slowly and lethargically turning to face the force that wasn't to be denied. Slowly he stepped forward, his eyes slightly glazed and unfocused on his surroundings. Brian watched the entire process, his supreme night vision absorbing every detail of Seth's responses. It was as it should be - Seth was powerless and completely under his control. Perhaps this cretin wouldn't need to be drained after all. Staring at him with menace, and little regard for compassion, Brian was silent until he was in front of him. "Follow me. This shouldn't take very long---"

 

Seth followed, his fatigue from their earlier meeting making him even more susceptible to the vampire's control, his mind devoid of anything that didn't center around pleasing the other man. He didn't stop until Brian motioned for him to do so, his eyes staring straight ahead, unblinking, neither looking at Brian nor anything else. 

 

"You have failed me, Seth. And, I believe I warned you about the consequences of such an action---" Brian hissed, his body turning to pin Seth against a darkened wall in the alley, only a dim streetlight illuminating around them. "You have one minute to tell me WHY!"

 

"Justin was asleep when I got home... on the c-couch---" Seth began to stammer. "So, I-I took a shower before getting ready for work, and when I came back out, he was gone."

 

Gone? Brian thought to himself. That was intriguing. Where could that delicious boy have wandered off to? That was something he would certainly investigate once his business with Seth was complete. Forcing the thoughts of hunting his not-so-secret desire to the back of his mind; at least, for the moment, Brian found himself slightly relieved by the answer, realizing Seth's actions hadn't been an act of impossible rebellion that his victim shouldn't have the strength to pursue. "Very well..." he growled. "I should have been more clear with my commands. You should have awoken Justin. He shouldn't discover your crime against him second hand."

 

"Of course not," Seth agreed, finally displaying no will to fight his destiny. "I will tell him t-tonight. I p-promise you that---"

 

"Yes, you will..." Brian growled, his fangs quickly protruding, his eyes glowing, at once his hunger overwhelming him. "First, you will turn in your confession, and then, once they release you from your duties, which I am quite sure they will, you will tell Justin."

 

"I-I will try..." Seth weakly answered, his eyes captured and held by the glowing red eyes, not an ounce of resistance remaining.

 

Brian's eyes flared an even darker red, Seth's words infuriating him even more. "Try? You will do more than that! Justin will know what you have done... and it will be tonight!" Brian wouldn't relent on that. Justin deserved the opportunity to unleash his own brand of fury on the immoral and despicable man... a man that had sworn to the care of his patients. What Seth had done was unfathomable, even to a primitive creature such as himself. "Before we proceed, Seth, there's something I've been meaning to ask. I sense this wasn't just about your desire for Justin. I think there's more. I want to know what it is."

 

Seth blinked, immediately answering, "When Justin was admitted, I overheard information that was too tempting for me to resist. Justin comes into a sizable inheritance when he's twenty-five years old. I believe it's around two million dollars. I-I had been struggling financially. I hadn't been in my position for long. Even though I wanted him... I wanted that money even more."

 

A snarl echoed through the abandoned alley, with Brian suddenly uncertain he would spare this animal's life. "You disgust me! I understand a crime of passion. Justin is one to inspire that... but to drug him, emotionally abuse him, all for the love of money - you are beyond redemption. I should kill you now!"

 

"N-no! P-please d-don't... I promise I w-will confess. I will even leave here with what I have and never return. J-just please don't kill me." Seth began to plead, terror and hopelessness in his eyes.

 

Brian thought about his pleas for a long moment. He already knew what he was going to do... what he felt he had to do. His decision began in the knowledge that he didn't trust the justice system and feared that Seth would merely be punished by losing his medical license - if the hospital even went public with his private confession. This man would continue his path of destruction should he be allowed to live his life away from here. In time, Brian knew he would no longer be in control of him, especially the further Seth traveled away from here. Although uncertain of why he cared, he refused to allow him to victimize anyone else. That decision clear, Brian was going to do what he hadn't done in many years. He was going to take a human life. In the end, he only trusted his own brand of justice...

 

Shaking his head, back and forth, even in his weakened state of mind, he could see his death in Brian's eyes. Brian wasn't being subtle about his intentions. Seth opened his mouth to beg the beguiling monster, knowing he was about to die, his fear at war with his desire to obey Brian's every command. "P-Please... d-don't do this. I-I will leave t-tonight. Y-you don't have to do this---"

 

"Unfortunately I do..." Brian snapped, in a lightning-swift motion, carrying the other man further into the darkness of the alley, quickly moving in for the kill, refusing to give Seth an opportunity to call out and jeopardize innocent bystanders. "Relax. It will be quick, and far more merciful than you deserve." 

 

In one brutal twist, Brian snapped Seth's neck, suddenly determining he had lost his desire to feed his hunger with this disgusting human. His blood supply was endless, and with men that he took special measures to ensure they enjoyed the experience. In most cases, he did give as well as take. In regards to this horrid creature, he had taken all that his primitive nature would allow. Brian watched as the life drained from Seth's body, knowing he could revive him to be like him if he wanted... but this depraved man was the last man he would ever give the power of a vampire. In life, he had been vindictive and heartless...  as a vampire, his strength would leave a trail of bodies in his wake. Not to mention, there wasn't a doubt in his mind that he would go after Justin, even if based on revenge. He couldn't have that.

 

Brian gathered Seth's deceased body into his arms, preparing to take flight and properly dispose of him, as he did, he couldn't help wondering why he was so protective of Justin. Attachments were not his way. In fact, he abhorred them. For one, he never grew older; therefore, friendships couldn't be maintained. A solo existence kept him living in one area longer. Having friends that kept getting older, while he remained the same, inevitably raised questions. Also, he never cared enough to form a close relationship with anyone. Perhaps it was a lonely existence at times, but it was how his life had to be, and for the most part, it wasn't any hardship for him. 

 

As he moved them through the alley, and then to his private home far outside of the city, Brian continued to think about what his actions tonight could render. His thoughts continued to return to Justin. He cursed at the dead man for forcing his hand. Justin wouldn't know of Seth's actions, and would probably pine for his missing lover. In time, the blond would simply assume that Seth ran off, but how long would he wait for him? Just the idea of Justin yearning for his former lover caused an unfamiliar ache in his chest that moved up to his throat. Brian snarled as he neared his home, his contempt for Seth growing more fiercely. 

 

He was met at the door by a familiar face. Brian quirked a brow in response. "Well well, big brother. Slumming are we?"

 

A reproving look was cast his way upon seeing the bundle Brian held in his arms. "I see you have overindulged yourself tonight. In fact, it was the already decaying scent that made me aware of your arrival."

 

"You always had a good nose, Benjamin. I didn't drain him, although, I have fed from him in the past. He is a vile human and I felt this was the best resolution." Brian stared deeply into his brother's eyes, in doing so, able to share everything about Seth's demise with him, due to their extreme connection, in addition to his brother's extraordinary power. 

 

Ben took a step back, his eyes widening before he looked away to glance at the body in Brian's arms. "Truly a despicable creature, Brian, but we shouldn't get so involved in human affairs. It's dangerous for your survival... OUR survival."

 

"You know I am always careful, and I don't go to these extremes often." Brian brushed past his brother, knowing he needed to rid both himself and his home of the stench of the decaying body soon. "I need to dispose of him." A rare smile of warmth curved Brian's lips. "It's been a long time, Ben. I'm really happy you're here."

 

"I've missed you, Brian. And, I'm tired of roaming. I'd like to stay, at least for a while, if that's agreeable?" Ben asked, a slight bit of uncertainty in his voice.

 

Brian frowned, laughing at the absurdity of the question. "You are welcome in my home for as long as you wish to stay. Just no philosophical lectures on my choices."

 

Ben laughed, it was both stoic, as well as filled with the feeling only extended to someone very close. "I will try, Brian, but you know that might be too much for me to endure."

 

Shrugging, as he moved forward, Brian teasingly told him, "That should be simple for you... after all, you are a man that has mastered resisting his greatest temptations."

 

"True enough." Ben reached out and took the man from Brian's arms, smiling at his brother's look of confusion. "I will take care of the disposal for you. Go ahead and get cleaned up."

 

"Are you sure? I know how distasteful you find it to be." Brian was surprised by Ben's offer before full clarity descended in waves. "Of course, I should have known. Not only are you an aged vampire, but you are also a seer, a rarity with our kind. You think you will make a discovery while handling his disposal."

 

Ben nodded. "I've always had your back, brother. You should know that." A deep sigh escaped, before Ben almost grudgingly added, "It wasn't only boredom that brought me here, Brian. I have been seeing turmoil surrounding you. Lately, you have been indecisive, not to mention conflicted. For your survival that must be resolved."

 

Justin. Brian closed his eyes for a moment. Ben had sensed his confusion about Justin, primarily stemming from how he had been unable to use his aura on the unresponsive blond. "I have everything under control, brother. You don't need to be concerned."

 

"Not be concerned, Brian? I am not only your brother; I also made you immortal. Therefore, anything that becomes a distraction to you, immediately becomes my problem as well." Instantly Ben's expression became fiercer than any Brian had ever seen before. "It would be wise to remember that."

 

TBC