- Text Size +

 

Brian had never heard words that caused such an immediate deflation in what had been his needy dick. What was this little shit trying to pull? He pulled back, his eyes two dark shards of impenetrable ice. "Would you mind repeating that?"

 

"Not at all... Mr. Surgeon..." Justin purred. "We work for the same man." He reached out and ran his hands up the front of Brian's shirt, his hunger for the dangerous man, making him yearn to get to the skin beneath.

 

Grasping the young blond's wandering hands, Brian squeezed them tightly in his own, any playful mood a long distant memory now. He looked around, uncomfortable with having this sort of talk in these surroundings, his tone low and sharp when he demanded, "Come with me, Junior. We need to finish this discussion much more privately."

 

A fog quickly began to surround his own lust, Justin pulled at his hands, his anger growing when he realized the domineering hitman wasn't about to give him any freedom. "I told you NOT to call me Junior, and release me now. I can fight just as dirty as you!"

 

Brian twisted one of Justin's arms securely behind his back, yanking his other arm forward until their bodies were once again smashed together. This time it wasn't in an act of lust... or so he told himself; no, right now it was in an act of complete control and dominance - making certain the young blond was aware of who was in charge. Brian didn't intend to leave any doubt on that. "I know you can't be a fool... even if you have aligned yourself with the sleazy Sapperstein. However... this form of deception will only get your hot little ass killed..."

 

"I don't think so, Mr. Kinney..." Justin whispered back in his most icy tone, his eyes glinting in his extreme anger... right now, far superseding the fear he also felt. "Let me go - if you want your answers. I am not about to be victimized by you... no matter who the fuck you think you are!"

 

His lips curved into a smile of admiration. "You got balls, kid. I'll give you that. However... you seem to be forgetting who you are dealing with - a lacking I will be more than pleased to remedy!" Brian hissed, his back tensing when he heard the indrawn breath coming from close behind him.

 

"Brian. Let. Me. Go..." Justin demanded, his eyes widening when he noticed the two figures directly behind Brian. Immediately, his eyes met the stern disapproval in Salvatore Caletti's gaze, his heart racing as he hoped he wasn't the one in trouble. Even before turning to face the hovering men, Brian quickly complied and released him. Justin knew without the appearance of Brian's mentor... his release wouldn't have been so easily achieved.

 

"Yes, Brian..." Salvatore spoke in a deep, and firm tone. "Unhand Justin immediately."

 

Brian's jaw dropped down. He hadn't ruled out the idea that Salvatore knew Justin merely from an intensive investigation on Sapperstein, but his tone indicated civility. He didn't seem angered by the fact that they were having an encounter, but more about how the encounter was developing. Instantly, Brian released Justin, his eyes sharply assessing Salvatore and Ben's watchful presence nearby. "Why are you here, Boss? I thought I explained that everything was under control here..."

 

Justin snorted, determined not to allow Brian to rattle him further... especially not in front of the intuitive and dangerous Salvatore Caletti. "A faulty assumption for sure."

 

Ben groaned, his eyes quickly darting around them, watchful for any enemy that would seek to harm his employer... mindful that Sapperstein's organization shouldn't know of Don Caletti's presence; at least, not until the Boss wanted him to know of it. "Gentlemen, perhaps we should table this discussion until more privacy can be attained..."

 

"My thoughts exactly," Salvatore snapped, his head shaking as he looked at Brian. What on earth was he thinking? A public display that could be overheard by anyone; in fact, one that was by him. Even though Justin was on their team... such overt behavior went against Brian's personal code - one that he had meticulously instilled in him. What the hell had happened? "Justin, I will be contacting you for a private meeting... for now, though, I would like to speak with Brian. Alone."

 

Brian approached Salvatore, his eyes dark and wild, no fear in them as he stood his ground. "I don't know what your game is, Salvatore, but as of now, I am officially out of it. You are here now. Whatever you want to do with Sapperstein you can do without me..."

 

"Silence!" Salvatore hissed. "Since when do you discuss business so openly? This is not a safe location, Brian. I've taught you better than that!"

 

"My apologies, Boss." Brian sent an angry glare in Justin's direction. "This little fucker has me acting out of character. It won't happen again."

 

"I hope not..." Salvatore sternly answered. "Now, I have a suite secured here. Shall we go there? Ben has already swept the room to assure that no one is either listening... or watching."

 

Nodding, Brian sent a scathing, and warning look at Justin. "Yes, of course, Boss. We aren't finished, Junior. I WILL be in touch..."

 

Justin rolled his eyes. "I have no doubt." His eyes lifted to observe Don Caletti's response to their exchange, his eyes widening in shock at what he thought he was seeing, and yet, finding it to be impossible. He gasped as he looked from one man to the other, unaware that Salvatore's guard was analytically watching him, and deducing exactly what now filtered through Justin's mind.

 

"Is there a problem, Justin?" Salvatore demanded, his eyes piercing the young blond, his gut telling him he wouldn't like the answer, should one be forthcoming. His eyes narrowed as Justin's gaze moved, back and forth between him and Brian, Justin's eyes widened, and his mouth opening and closing as if in a semi-state of shock. "Well?"

 

"Uhhh no, Sir. I-I'll just go and let you talk to Brian. I will be available when you need to see me..." Justin cringed at the sound of his normally strong voice cracking, hating the sound of his weakness, especially in the presence of this man of such great power and strength.

 

"Very well..." Salvatore told him, his head turning to exchange a look with Ben, surprised he didn't have his famous 'I told you so' stare. Salvatore gave Brian his own suite number, not a flicker of surprise showing in his eyes when he revealed his rooms to be on the same floor as Brian's. His son knew him so well, and now it seemed he was about to know him much better.

 

He didn't even look as Justin made his hasty exit, his eyes only on his son. A sigh slipped through his lips, his face suddenly becoming haggard and filled with the stress born from years of silence. No longer could he remain silent. How could he have missed it during the past few years? Ben had warned him on numerous occasions. The older Brian became, the more prominent their similarities were. Erase his own years, and they could pass as brothers, perhaps even twins. Justin had seen it. Now, he found it remarkable that others hadn't. Perhaps it was because they were rarely seen together publicly. Brian led his life, and he led his. The business they conducted was always managed privately. Secrecy was no longer a viable option. Brian had to know, in doing so, not to be caught at a disadvantage later.

 

"Salvatore? You've become pale. I've never seen you like this..." Brian started in concern. "What's wrong?"

 

Ben watched on, his heart rejoicing that the Boss was finally going to reveal all to Brian... the son Salvatore loved more than his empire and even his own life. He could only imagine how Brian would respond. Knowing the hot-headed 'Surgeon' he expected the news to be traumatic at first. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Salvatore already owned a piece of Brian's heart... he hoped that would only continue to grow.

 

"I desperately need to speak with you, Brian. In private..." he implored, yet did so without his typical commanding fashion.

 

Nodding, Brian agreed. "Of course, Boss."

 

Salvatore motioned Ben closer. "I want you to stand watch outside of the room. I wish to speak with Brian in private."

 

Ben smiled encouragingly. "Certainly, Sir." He began to walk silently behind the two men, slight anxiety filling his heart. He had hoped for this day for so long, and now that it was here, he feared Brian's reaction. Typically, he couldn't fathom anything breaking the spirit of Salvatore Caletti. However, earning Brian's contempt could do just that.

 

Several minutes later, Brian was found standing in Salvatore's suite, his eyes watchful as his mentor went to the bar and poured himself a generous amount of whiskey. "Okay, Boss. Talk to me. What has brought on this distress?" Brian watched Salvatore attentively, knowing that whoever had caused his discomfort, would resolve the problem. His respect and devotion to the crime lord was unshakable. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Salvatore knew that as well.

 

"Can I pour you something, Brian?" Salvatore asked weakly, downing the burning liquor in one quick swallow, immediately pouring himself another glass just as full.

 

Shaking his head, Brian told him, "No thank you. I'd rather just hear what is bothering you. However, keep in mind that once you do, you know I am going to move to fix it - no matter what or who..."

 

Salvatore laughed shakily, beginning to pace in front of the bar, glass still in hand. He looked at Brian with a sad, yet reflective smile on his face. "This isn't that kind of problem, Brian. If only it were that simple... I wouldn't be worried about that. You are always adept at handling any of my more intricate clean-up situations."

 

Concerned about Salvatore's uncharacteristic pacing, Brian told him, "Why don't you just sit down and tell me whatever it is. I think you know by now that you can tell me anything..."

 

"Yes, I know that, Brian. I don't trust very easily. I can't in my world. Although, I have always trusted you... even in the very beginning." Salvatore took a seat on the sofa, watching as Brian seated himself across from him. "However, the beginning doesn't exactly start in the same place for both of us..."

 

His brow furrowing in confusion, Brian asked, "Exactly what does that mean?"

 

"It simply means this, Brian. We are connected in ways that I have always known, but a discovery you have not yet made." Salvatore looked directly into Brian's eyes, more afraid in this moment than he ever had been in his life. Brian meant more to him than anything in the world, and now, he could lose him by his admission of the truth.

 

"A connection?" Brian prodded. His full attention on what appeared to be an important story to Salvatore.

 

Salvatore finished his drink in one long swallow, his head shaking at the irony of what was to come next. If he had stayed away, this wouldn't have come to a head at this precise moment. He supposed it was inevitable really. Ben had been placing his warnings for so long now. Apparently, he had seen something he had always refused to see. Now, it was up to him to break the news to Brian. The last thing he wanted was for one of his enemies to discover their connection, and use the information to hurt his son. "I met your mother many years ago. In fact, not long after she married Jack Kinney."

 

Brian swallowed, uncertain why he suddenly had a lump in his throat. Where was this heading? He had a long history with Salvatore Caletti. Salvatore had undoubtedly saved him from imminent death at the hands of his father. He had never fully understood why Salvatore had taken such a personal interest in him. Had it been something to do with his not so dear sainted mother? "So you knew my mother. Was that why you became so interested in my well-being? Especially since my mother didn't give a fuck..."

 

"Not exactly, Brian." Salvatore smiled fondly. "My interest in you started the day you were born. It's only grown every day since then. I have kept this secret all your life, Brian; in the beginning to protect you. I was just reaching the height of my power. I made so many enemies along the way. I couldn't risk them coming after me through you. I loved you too much for that..."

 

His eyes widening at both Salvatore's words and the vulnerable sound in his voice, instant understanding overcame him. "Salvatore... are you s-saying?"

 

"Yes, Brian. I am saying exactly what you are thinking. Jack Kinney was not your biological father. I am your father..." Salvatore watched Brian closely, still unable to fathom he was making this admission after so many years. He watched as Brian's face transformed from shock to a blank unreadable expression. Brian was already trying to close himself off, and that wasn't good for either of them. "Brian, talk to me. I'll answer any questions you have... then, I hope we can move forward. At least, in time."

 

Brian stood to his feet, distancing himself from Salvatore... the man who he now knew to be his father, the only thing he could do. He needed to think... to process this. "I-I can't do this now, Salvatore. I need to be alone."

 

Wordlessly, Salvatore nodded, at this time doing nothing to prevent Brian's departure. As Brian reached for the door, his heart clenched at the fear of this being goodbye. He couldn't let that happen. Fervently, he told his son, "When you are ready, come to me and we'll talk. For now, though, remember that everything I have done was to protect you, and make you a man of strength that no man could ever hurt again."

 

"It appears you failed in that, Salvatore." Looking back, his eyes filled with pain, Brian did something he had never done in front of another man; in fact, an act he had never done in his entire adult life. Brian Kinney, 'The Surgeon' to all those that knew and feared him, found himself blinking through the tears that threatened to escape. As he looked at the man he had always idolized, he felt betrayed and broken. He didn't know what had been real between them now. He doubted if he ever would.

 

TBC