- Text Size +

 

Brian drove away from the fiery explosion, a self-satisfied smile on his lips as he could still see his handiwork from the rearview mirror. The seclusion of the area afforded him more than enough time to complete his business. First, he needed to dispose of Stockwell's personal effects. An amateur would have left the bag of personal belongings in the cabin with the victim; however, he never left anything to chance. Whether a trail of evidence could ever find a way back to him or not, his attention to detail never diminished.

 

He continued to drive to the secure location where Stockwell's belongings would be forever destroyed, by design it would be where he would pick up his payment, and return the plain, yet vital car. He was slightly surprised when he found the crime lord awaiting him, and not one of his thugs. He shrugged when he stepped from the car, his bodyguard staying behind. It was just another form of respect. As much as men didn't want to make an enemy of Salvatore Caletti, they equally felt the same toward him. It wasn't a bad position to be in.

 

"Evening, Mr. Caletti..." Brian greeted him amicably. His dealings with this particular crime lord had always been pleasant. The older man treated him with respect, and always gave him free rein on how to handle a kill. As long as the job was carried out, Caletti was happy. "I have Stockwell's personal effects. I will do the clean-up if you don't want them."

 

Salvatore Caletti laughed coldly, although the ice in his tone wasn't directed at the man in front of him. "I'll take them, Brian. Stockwell played on both sides of the fence for years. He could have useful information stored on his phone."

 

Nodding his understanding, Brian extended the bag forward, his hand closing over the thick brown envelope being handed his way. "It was a pleasure doing business, as always..."

 

"No problems, Brian?" Salvatore asked, his brow raising in what was only slight suspicion. He trusted very few men, assassins in particular. He'd always trusted Brian, though. He was upfront, concise, and only demanded two things - free rein, and respect. A man of his skills and loyalty were hard to find.

 

A hollow laugh emitted. "None at all. It was probably one of the easiest hits I've ever done. However, Stockwell was special. I admit I played with him a bit longer than usual."

 

"Yes, of course." Salvatore nodded thoughtfully. He looked Brian in the eye, more than anything wishing Brian would join him. The family needed him. "I wish you'd reconsider my offer, Brian."

 

"I appreciate that, Boss. I really do. I'm better on my own. I can honestly tell you, though, if there was ever a man I would pledge my life and loyalty to - it would be you." Brian shook Don Caletti's hand, a sincere smile on his face. It wasn't a look that was extended to many men. "Call me if you need my assistance again. I'm always glad to help you out."

 

Nodding, a strained smile on his face, Salvatore told him, "I know that, Brian. Take care of yourself. And always remember... if you ever need a place, the Family is here for you."

 

Salvatore watched as Brian slid the envelope of cash into his pocket, knowing exactly where the younger man would go and what he'd do next. For such a consummate professional, he did have a pattern. That was probably his only weakness. If a man wanted to rub out Brian Kinney after a successful hit, they could find him in the nearest gay club, pounding out his celebration into a series of nameless tricks.

 

Stepping from the car once Brian was out of sight, a comforting hand came down on Don Caletti's shoulders. "Boss, will you ever tell him?"

 

Eyes followed the assassin's steps until he was out of sight, uncharacteristic tears brimming in his eyes. "No, Benjamin. He's safer this way. In fact, we all are."

 

A sad sigh escaping, Ben took the bag from Don Caletti's hands and placed it in the trunk of the car. He nodded to the cleaners that had arrived to destroy the car. Leading the Boss away from the empty field, with Brian far from both of their sights, he urged the man in the direction of the car. "C'mon, Boss. I'll take you home."

 

Salvatore settled in the back of the car, his eyes only briefly pulling to the vehicle a short distance away beginning to go up in flames, his face suddenly haggard, looking much older than his sixty-one years. No. He could never tell Brian the truth. This way, he was protected. And after all these years, Brian would only hate him. That would be the devastation that irreparably broke his not entirely icy heart.

 


 

After returning to his hotel and changing his ‘working' clothes for some more club-worthy attire, Brian slowly strolled down Liberty Avenue, his eyes seeking out his mark... or marks for the night. This time, though, the release would come from his dick, and not from the hammer of his gun. As he walked, he decided the pickings were slim. He was more accustomed to big city life. The majority of his work took place in much larger towns, but he was sure he could make do. He would be leaving in the morning.

 

He didn't pause as he moved past Liberty Diner, his eyes drifting only briefly to the empty lot where Babylon once stood. He wasn't sure how long the lot had been empty, but appearances led to the belief that it was going to be rebuilt. He looked in slight interest at the scaffolding and trucks assembled around it, and couldn't help smiling to himself. They looked suspiciously like Caletti crews. Had Salvatore bought the property? He couldn't imagine Sapperstein holding out for much. More than likely, it had been an offer the Sap had been afraid to refuse. Too bad he hadn't been called in for that deal. That was another man he wouldn't mind rubbing out.

 

A shudder coursed through him as he passed Meathook, and the clientele he could see going in and out. No fucking way. He wasn't that desperate. His eyes strayed to Boy Toy - not his preference, either. But if he wanted any action for his deprived dick, Boy Toy looked to be where it would have to be. Another strike against the deceased Jim Stockwell. His focus was absolute when on assignment, translating into - he hadn't fucked for days. Under no circumstances did he trick when stalking his next hit. He was the best for one simple reason... His attention to detail was absolute. It didn't allow time for any distractions. That was his longest-standing rule and one that would never change.

 

Slipping into the bar that seemed to only be filled to half capacity, Brian went directly to the bar; he ordered a double shot of whiskey, his eyes hunting for a man that looked right for the beast that drove him tonight. He smiled when he saw a man at the far end of the bar. Yes, he would do. He was brunet, with a chest and shoulders that spanned forever. Pounding into that muscled, and obviously strong piece of flesh was exactly what he needed.

 

Very rarely did he go for more petite men. He wasn't a man born of gentleness. When he fucked a man, that man knew he'd been fucked. Everything he did was done with finesse and passion. There was no middle ground for him. His work evoked the animal inside of him. That was who he was no matter what the activity. His eyes capturing what appeared to be green eyes, Brian slammed his whiskey back in one quick swallow, his eyes filled with lust as he moved to the end of the bar. He placed his palm down on the bar, almost touching the other man. Up close, he was slightly disappointed. The body was perfection, but the face didn't quite measure up. Right now, though, that wasn't too much of a deterrent. However, if he turned out to be a talker... this would be over quick.

 

"Buy you another... or shall we just cut to the chase and get out of here now?" Brian asked him, his eyes moving down his body, quickly homing in on the cock that was evident through his tight jeans.

 

Standing to his feet, he held out his hand. "I'm Patrick, and I've had more than enough to drink tonight. Your place or mine?"

 

He didn't give his name. That wasn't something he did for a trick. In fact, he didn't even want to know their name. Faceless and forgotten was how he rolled. Of course, there were always those, such as this one that wanted to be friendly. What they never understood, though, was that he didn't seek a fuck buddy, a friend, or anything more than a simple fuck. One time. Over and done. This one was another one he would educate tonight. "My hotel. It's not far."

 

"Lead on, Mr. Tall, dark, and short on words..."

 

Brian stilled his steps immediately. "If you want to chatter, you'd better go back to the bar now. I'm not here for that. Only, decide now."

 

Looking at the tall, and beautiful stranger curiously, he shook his head slowly. "I'll live without chatter... as long as you know how to work your cock."

 

Once they were outside, Brian pressed the man into the side of the building, his hand unsnapping and unzipping his jeans... his hand immediately finding what he instantly perceived as a nine-inch uncut dick... Squeezing it tightly for good measure, Brian savagely thrust his hips forward, even in this isolated moment in time, displaying his complete power and control over the man that clearly outweighed him. "Do you really doubt my abilities to maneuver my dick inside of you?" Brian didn't tell him what had happened to the last man that dared to doubt him. A different time, and a much different place.

 

Shaking his head from side to side, his eyes were wide as he took in the predatory look in the other man's eyes. This man was blazing hot, and he clearly knew it. "Nah. I'm sure you're all that, and even more. How about we get on with it though... Stud."

 

Brian quirked a brow. Cocky. The trick had no idea how lucky he was that he was in a reasonably good mood tonight. "Let's go then."

 

Brian pulled the trick away from the side of the building, his arm motioning in the direction of his hotel. He frowned when he instantly observed he was being watched. Never completely unarmed, he placed a hand on the man's chest, instantly stilling his steps. Looking into the darkness, Brian's eyes widened as he recognized the car following him at a discreet distance. His concern deepening, he gave the trick a brief regretful glance before he began walking away from him in the direction of the car.

 

"Hey, asshole! I thought we were gonna fuck!?" he shouted out, clearly confused by this unexpected turn of events.

 

Looking back, Brian cast a dismissive look his way. "That's the operative word. Were." Brian ignored the curses being tossed at his back as he moved toward the car that shouldn't be here. The fact that it was, filled him with dread. He tapped on the back window, uncertain of who he would find inside... he hoped that the leader of the Caletti family wasn't in any trouble.

 

As the window slid down, Ben smiled, full of warmth and welcoming... not the normal look he cast on anyone, but of course, Brian Kinney was very different. "I thought I'd find you here, Brian. Can we go for a ride? I'll drop you at your hotel... or back here. Whichever you'd like."

 

Not wasting any time, Brian moved to the other side of the black Rolls Royce, slipping in next to Ben, oblivious to where they were headed. He turned to face Ben, his eyes filled with sharp concern. "Salvatore? Is he all right?"

 

Ben smiled, patting Brian reassuringly on the leg. "Yes, of course, Brian. He's home now. I didn't mean to alarm you... I just wanted to secure your attention before you became too involved with tonight's entertainment."

 

Chuckling, Brian responded, "You know me so well, Ben."

 

A wistful expression came over Ben's face, a look that spoke of his mind traveling to a faraway place. "This won't take long, Brian."

 

"Is it another assignment?" Brian asked more than certain he would receive an affirmative answer. "I was really planning on laying low for a while."

 

"It is, but not a hit. The Boss is looking to, hmmm, let's say expand..." Ben's eyes met Brian's, making certain he understood. "The Stockwell issue was very draining on Don Caletti. He will rest better now. However, he's looking to the future. He'd like to have a safe place to go when he does retire... one that will be recreational, as well as profitable."

 

"Retire..." Brian scoffed. "Salvatore Caletti will never retire. He'll be working when he's ninety."

 

Ben's head jerked back as laughter erupted. "You know him so well."

 

"Has he decided on a place yet?" Brian asked, more than a little curious.

 

"Indeed he has. An island in the Caribbean. I've got a folder prepared with various properties that he'd like to have researched by a man he trusts." Ben turned to look at Brian with an intense stare. "That man is you."

 

"Research? That's not my specialty, Ben. What is he really after?" Brian questioned aloud, knowing he would never get an answer if Salvatore didn't want him to know it.

 

Ben remembered warning the Boss that Brian would be suspicious. He wasn't even sure of his plan. Was it merely as he said and a retirement expansion? He didn't think so. "Everything is above board, Brian. You know Mr. Caletti as well as anyone. He trusts you, and he wants to be sure before he makes a move. He knows you'll know what to look for."

 

Brian opened the folder, his eyes narrowing as he looked at the first-class airline ticket with his name on it. "Not the least bit sure of himself... is he?"

 

"He knows you'll never let him down." Ben's eyes filled with concern, his face turning so Brian could read the uncommon emotion in them. "I think he needs this, Brian. And more than anything, he wants you in the driver's seat. Can I tell him you'll accept?"

 

At the age of nine, he had been beaten by his father within an inch of his life, then the head of the Caletti family found him and gave him a new life. A new purpose. He owed everything to Salvatore Caletti; It was a debt that could never be repaid. In their world, that meant everything.

 

Conniving old man. As if he'd ever say no to Salvatore... "Yes, Ben. Tell the Boss I'll do it."

 

TBC

 

A/N: Bit by bit we will learn more about Brian's connection to the powerful and dangerous Salvatore Caletti. Justin will be introduced in the next chapter. I hope you are enjoying this new and dark story. Thank you for reading. Comments are greatly appreciated - thank you!! :)

 

A couple of definitions:

Don - The head of the Family.

Boss- Basically the same as Don. Typically called this by those that report directly to him. He is the leader of the Family.