- Text Size +

 

Silently and very close behind his partner in crime, Brian followed Justin as he led them to the rear side of Sapperstein's estate... an area that appeared to be the most optimal of access points to slip inside undetected. Brian eyed the security gates with distaste. This wouldn't be easy... unless Justin had an access code. He had been briefed on the layout of the Sap's estate, but he hadn't had the opportunity to explore it... something he always managed to accomplish before any progression of a hit. With his father apparently inside, he didn't have the luxury of time. Tersely, Brian asked, "Do you have an entry code... or do I need to break through?"

 

"I have it," Justin told him, his fingers extending to push in the numbers. "Unless he has changed it since he realized I worked for Don Caletti."

 

Brian nodded. "Give it a try. I doubt even the Sap is foolish enough not to think of that under the circumstances."

 

Justin couldn't argue that, although he knew with all the opposition Gary was currently facing, he could have lost sight of that small but very important detail. Slowly he pushed in the numbers, realistically not expecting the answering click of an opening gate. His assumption, and Brian's as well, had been wrong. His eyes widened as the gate opened, both of them quickly moving inside before the security mechanism caused it to close again. "Wow. I'm a bit surprised."

 

"Yeah. Something doesn't feel right. But I can't question or investigate that now. I need to find Salvatore..." He moved through the semi-lit perimeter of the estate, finding the gate much further from the house than he would like. So much could go wrong with such distance. They could be observed. In fact, they could be being watched right now. "Do you know anything about cameras out here? Any form of surveillance?"

 

"Not really. I know he has cameras, but my job was really outside of the grounds. Brandon spent more time here than I did. I have the access code, and the one to get inside the house. My knowledge of the inside of the house, and everything else is really sketchy..."

 

Brian compressed his lips, his steps cautious, but quick. "We'll get by." He nodded in the direction of the side of the house. "Let's try that door. I want to get inside quickly. I feel like a sitting duck out here."

 

"Good idea. Once we get inside we can split up to search. We should find them quickly..."

 

"No!" Brian hissed. "We stay together. There's no way of knowing what kind of trap waits inside. We need to be each other's back up."

 

"You're the boss..." Justin agreed, his eyes alive with excitement as they crossed the threshold, once again surprised by the ease of their entry. He was filled with that unique form of adrenaline that he always felt when he was on an assignment... This one was much more special than any other. Not only was he with the renowned ‘Surgeon', but Salvatore was on the scene as well. His instincts told him that Salvatore had this under control. Nothing else made sense to him. Salvatore Caletti's skills were larger than life. It didn't stand to reason that a street thug turned crime lord like Gary Sapperstein could get the drop on him. At least... he hoped not.

 

About to answer, a chill ran down Brian's spine when he heard shots fired in a nearby room, although they were fired with the aid of a silencer. He was a consummate professional. Even though the sound was faint, he could always detect it. Often it was derived from the bullet hitting the target, but there was a humming sound that couldn't be completely detected. He could only hope that it had been Salvatore pulling the trigger. Brian nodded, his steps accelerating, "That way, Junior."

 

Justin began to grind his teeth together. He wasn't about to rise to that bait. At least, not right now. He rushed along after the menacing hitman, a gasp escaping when he heard the bloodcurdling scream... one that he knew didn't belong to Salvatore Caletti. They burst through the door almost in unison, the room that Justin knew to be Gary's bedroom, his eyes widened in shock at what he was now seeing. What the fuck, was his immediate thought.

 

Lying on the floor were three dead bodies, all three Justin knew to be Gary's house staff that were in actuality his home bodyguards. He'd always wondered if Gary kept enough men on the premises, smiling in wonder at the confident and very much in control Salvatore Caletti, he knew his thoughts had been correct. "Seems you have this under control, Boss." As his eyes moved over the fallen men, Justin realized that it hadn't been who Salvatore had been shooting at, as these men had been dead for a while now. Salvatore must be playing a game with Gary... a game only Salvatore Caletti would win.

 

"It's so good of you boys to join me..." Salvatore greeted, a welcoming smile on his face; at least until he returned his gaze to the squirming Gary Sapperstein standing and tied to a bedpost. His gun remained pointed at the Sap as he casually addressed Brian. "I had expected you long ago. Sadly, you missed out on some of the fun..."

 

Brian knew he was expected to answer about his delay, knowing how Salvatore would probably respond. A lecture would most likely be forthcoming - whether it be now or later. He glanced briefly at Justin, before he vaguely answered, "I got sidetracked."

 

"I trust you resolved the problem." Salvatore looked at both Brian and Justin, his eyes narrowing as he glimpsed his son, and hopefully his future successor, distracted and not as focused as he was accustomed to him being. "We'll discuss this later. For now, I need to finish questioning this scum, and eliminating him once and for all."

 

Brian nodded. "What can I do to help?" He shook his head as he looked around in wonder. Three dead bodies, and the Sap helpless under his father's hands. Why was he even here? Apparently, his father could more than take care of himself.

 

Salvatore's lips twisted as he surveyed Gary Sapperstein, not even attempting to struggle, the knowledge of death coming for him already an accepted reality. "That depends on Gary's level of cooperation. So far it's been very sparse."

 

Icily, Brian stared at their collective enemy. "It's been a long time since I've performed a special interrogation. I think I'm up for the task, though. After all, I was trained by the best."

 

Gary began to sputter, his eyes wide in fear, while grimly accepting fate had decreed this to be his end. "J-just finish me now, Caletti! You've taken out all my men and turned the other against me. I have n-nothing left!"

 

Salvatore laughed coldly, it was a sound that never failed to instill fear in a man's heart. "Not exactly nothing, Gary. You have information. If you don't supply it willingly, I will find it by other means. The level of cooperation you give will determine the pain of your death. I have been patient so far; however, Brian doesn't usually deal well with others. You would be wise not to get him involved..."

 

"Like father, like son..." Gary spat out, knowing he should mind his tongue, but at this point seeing no reason to protect himself. "You may be able to take over my territory, torture and kill me, but you can't force me to hand everyone over to you on a silver platter. One day someone loyal to me will even the score with you." Gary's pained and fatigued eyes brushed over the three of them. "You can't stop it. Revenge is an inescapable reality in our world, and you damned well know it."

 

Justin snorted, deciding it was time to speak up. "Poor Gary. So fucking deluded. No one is loyal to you. Your underlings all despise you, and your practices. If you think any of those weak-minded fools will stand up to the Caletti family, you are even more stupid than I ever imagined..."

 

Salvatore smiled, his approval of Justin growing each time he saw him in action. "Well spoken, Justin. Okay, I've wasted enough time here. Last chance, Sapperstein. Give me the names of all that work for you, the businesses that are paying you protection money, and every thug that does business with you. Supply that, and I will have Brian kill you quickly. If not... Well, I will leave that to his discretion..."

 

"You don't want that, Sap. I will break every bone in your body. You will be in too much pain to even beg for death." Brian viciously kicked Gary from behind, smiling when he screamed out in pain. "You are not a crime lord. You are a predator that preys on the weak and the innocent. I know all about you peddling drugs to children, forcing underage kids, both male and female, to whore themselves out to line your pockets. You sicken me. Cooperate now, or I swear I will make your end the most painful death any man has ever faced."

 

"Untie me and I'll tell you everything..." Gary muttered in defeat. "Please allow me to die with some dignity... not tied up like a fucking animal..."

 

Justin gasped. "Dignity? Why should you be given that privilege?" Moving forward, Justin spat in Gary's face. "You are nothing but a disgusting rodent. The Caletti family has amassed their power with honor. They would never victimize defenseless children. You deserve no concessions!"

 

"You know what, Justin?" Salvatore said in a voice filled with experience and observation. "You are absolutely correct. We can obtain the knowledge needed to succeed without any help from this depraved monster." Brian stepped away from him. "I'm ending this now!"

 

Brian smiled. He wouldn't argue this decision. His father deserved this kill, and he wasn't about to interfere in it. Not that he would be so bold, Salvatore's son or not. This man had long been his idol. His handling of this worm today only exemplified that fact. Brian backed away, laying an encouraging hand on Salvatore's arm, squeezing it briefly before he moved out of the way. "As you wish... Father."

 

Salvatore felt his chest constricting. He wouldn't cry. Not here, and not now. Sapperstein would soon be dead, but he would not be gifted with a glimpse of the love he held for his son. Gary Sapperstein didn't deserve to see anything pure and good. All he deserved was malice, evil, and pain. "Know that I will free all those that you have victimized, and compensate them for the torture you have inflicted on them. Enjoy hell, Gary."

 

With that, Salvatore emptied several bullets into the chest of Gary Sapperstein, without a smile on his face, but with a sense of pride that he held a vital role for the injustice being righted in the world. It was a good feeling. The future belonged to them... now with him having the hope that his son was ready to embrace his true heritage.

 

TBC