- Text Size +

 

Brian smirked upon entering Salvatore's suite. Ben was sitting on the sofa, holding a bag of ice to his head, staring accusingly at both him and Salvatore. Having the feeling Ben was more plagued by embarrassment and discontent at being kept out of the action, Brian couldn't resist provoking him further. "Should I send for a doctor? I'd hate for you to collapse again..."

 

Closing and locking the door, Salvatore groaned, seeing Brian was intent on causing mischief. Knowing Ben as he did, Salvatore realized the last thing his proud guard would want was concern or coddling in any way. "I'm sure that won't be necessary, Brian. If it was, Ben would say so."

 

"I'm fine, Boss. Just a headache, and a large dose of humility." Ben stood to his feet, slowly moving toward the bathroom, once there, taking a couple of maximum strength headache pain relievers, and emptying the contents of the ice pack into the sink. Returning to the sitting room of the suite, Ben found Brian and Salvatore enjoying a drink at the bar, the silence in the room almost deafening. "I am assuming all went well."

 

Salvatore gave an affirmative nod. "Sapperstein never saw us coming." Frowning at Ben's pale complexion, Salvatore advised, "Go ahead and get some rest, Ben. Everything is under control. Tomorrow, I want you to start on a project regarding some of the Sap's victims."

 

"As you wish, Boss." Ben wasn't fooled. He had sensed from the moment they arrived that Don Caletti wanted to speak privately with his son. He suspected that with Sapperstein gone, Salvatore was ready to move forward with his ultimate plan. He wasn't sure about all of it, but he was certain it centered around Brian, and perhaps the younger gunslinger, Justin Taylor.

 

"Take it easy, Ben." Brian's voice was devoid of sarcasm now, his concern replacing his teasing manner of a few moments ago. "Getting knocked out isn't pleasant. You'll probably have a bitch of a headache in the morning. If you need anything stronger for the pain, just let me know."

 

"I'll do that, Brian. Thank you." He half-smiled through his pain as he looked between the two very similar men, more pleased than he could express at how things had worked out. In particular, how Brian was looking at his father once again, love and pride shining in his eyes. He was slightly surprised it hadn't taken the extremely stubborn Surgeon longer to come to terms with the truth of his parentage, but realized danger often brings about realizations, and revelations. He wondered if that could be the case here.

 

Brian felt a slight tugging at his heart as Salvatore watched Ben's departure, easily reading the hint of guilt in his father's eyes. "I wouldn't worry, Sir. Ben will be fine. I think his pride is suffering far more than any pain to his head..."

 

Salvatore nodded curtly, still saddened that he had felt forced to incapacitate Ben in such a manner. He had been a trusted and much-beloved part of his organization for so many years. In truth, he had been the closest thing to family, especially during all the years he had agonized as he watched Brian grow into his own, feeling unable to reveal that he was Brian's father. "Yes, I'm sure that's so." Motioning to the couch, Salvatore invited, "Let's sit. I wish to speak with you while we have some time in private."

 

Quirking a brow, Brian approached warily, not a doubt in his mind that this was the moment he had been expecting since Salvatore arrived on the island. He hadn't been sent here merely to observe and take out the Sap. The Boss could have done that on his own. There was much more going on. As he took his seat on the couch and watched as his father did the same, he recognized he was about to find out. "I'm sure we have plenty of time, Sir. Ben will probably rest for a while, and Justin went home."

 

"As expected. Even knowing that Sapperstein's plans for his parents had been thwarted, he would want to see with his own eyes that all is well." Salvatore frowned for a moment. "His love for his family gives him some vulnerability, one an enemy can exploit. I hope it never becomes an issue."

 

"Justin seems to have a level head on his shoulders. He just needs to work on his control."

 

"How so?" Salvatore asked, looking at Brian in surprise.

 

Brian frowned, thinking he had shared this with Salvatore, but with the rush of events in a short span of time, uncertain if he had. "I thought I told you, but with the rush perhaps I hadn't. When I was alerted that Brandon was lurking, I followed Justin and found him unnecessarily toying with Ethan Gold before he completed the hit. I understand that he had his reasons, but knowing Brandon was so close, it was unwise to prolong what should have been a quick hit."

 

"This assignment has been very personal for Justin, on so many levels. I understand why he wanted to have his fun, but you are right, the timing wasn't optimal. I feel he will mature with experience, and make more sound decisions in time." Salvatore cast a look filled with meaning in Brian's direction. "That is... under the right tutelage..."

 

"You want me to teach him all the tricks of the trade? I guess you have far more planned than ridding the island people of the Sap's treacherous ways..."

 

"Brian, you are my son. Blood of my blood. Surely you don't believe I sent you to the Virgin Islands merely to observe Sapperstein's operation, and assist in his removal? I never involve you in jobs that are beneath your level of expertise." Salvatore looked at his son knowingly, both of them knowing there was so much more to Brian's presence here, not a hint of reproof in his voice.

 

"No, Sir. I've never thought it was merely about Sapperstein. There isn't a doubt in either of our minds that you could have handled this on your own." Brian smiled as he remembered Salvatore taking out the Sap. "It was nice seeing you in action again. I haven't for such a long time."

 

Salvatore chuckled. "It felt good, son."

 

Brian smiled, shaking his head in astonishment at how different it felt hearing Salvatore saying that one word, a word that he had said to him countless times in the past, but one that hadn't carried the same meaning as it did now. "Son..." he murmured. Brian spoke his thoughts aloud, knowing they displayed a weakness, but feeling comfortable in doing so during this private moment with his father. "I still can't believe it. For years I looked at you as a father figure. I would go to sleep at night and wish that you could have been my father. To find out that you are... Well, it's a lot to process, but I couldn't be more proud. Remaining silent about it won't be easy."

 

"There's no reason why we need to be. Doing so to protect you is no longer necessary. You are feared in your own right. This news will only make you more so." Salvatore watched his son intently. Much as himself, Brian was always so difficult to read. However, that was a vital tool in their trade. He had instilled that important characteristic in him from the very beginning. "I have a plan in mind that will enable us to announce it that will swiftly have it traveling within our circles."

 

"You always do... Father," Brian found himself adding, knowing he did so for two reasons. One, he wanted his father to know he hadn't only called him that in the heat of the moment during the Sapperstein hit, and he wanted to know how comfortable each of them would be with it. As for himself, nothing could feel more right. Seeing tears glimmering in Salvatore's eyes, he knew his father felt the same.

 

Salvatore sighed deeply. His heart couldn't be more full. He loved his son beyond belief. No matter how Brian responded to his offer, he would love and look after his best interests as long as he continued to breathe. He couldn't do anything else. Shaking his head, refraining from the compulsion to engulf Brian in the most massive of bear hugs, Salvatore told him, "I feared it was a fluke, but you said it again. Father. You have no idea what that means to me, Brian. No idea at all."

 

"I think I do." Brian rolled his lips under, uncertain how to best relay his feelings, thoughts, and emotions pouring through his mind like an avalanche, ones he would have never expected to have before coming to this island. "I still haven't gotten over how you hid our connection for so many years. I'm trying to accept that you had good reasons, and move on from it. I can't imagine how much of a sacrifice that was for you."

 

"More than you know, son. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't want to tell you. I could have told you sooner. As the years went by, I feared how you would respond. Seeing contempt in your eyes would have been too much for me." Salvatore laughed. "Don't tell my enemies I have such a soft heart."

 

Brian smiled with genuine warmth. "I won't breathe a word. The same goes for me. I am supposed to be heartless. We can't let anyone know any differently."

 

Salvatore thought of Justin. Instantly, he thought his son needed a push in the right direction. Brian had many specialties. Matters of the human heart was not one of them. "I'll keep your secret, although let's be truthful here. Your heart isn't actually closed off. I think there is a young man that is already worming his way inside, and I think you, my stubborn son, realize that too."

 

"Justin? You know me better than that. I am not capable of that kind of love. I want him, yes. That's all it can ever be."

 

"That almost sounded convincing, Brian. However, you forget how well I know you. So much you hide well, but these uncommon emotions are apparent. He means something to you, and I have the feeling that it will only continue to grow." When Brian snorted in denial, Salvatore continued, "Tell me, Brian. How did you feel when you thought Brandon could get the jump on Justin? You moved toward them without your standard preparations. That tells me clearly - you care about Justin."

 

"I think you read too much into my actions. Justin is a part of your organization, and he has numerous skills. That being said, he is of great value." Brian looked away from the disbelief in Salvatore's eyes. He wasn't fooling him any more than he was himself. He did care about the little fucker. He might not know what it all meant, but he recognized Justin wasn't like any of the others. "Now, how about we get back to the subject of your master plan. Junior won't remain absent for long."

 

Salvatore shook his head. Brian wasn't fooling him. He had it bad for Justin. Something needed to happen to make him come to grips with that fact. Their relationship could become a weakness at some point, and they needed to be on guard against being used against each other. "Okay, we'll table this discussion for now. Something significant is happening between the two of you. Coming to terms with that is important for your safety. Not only for you, but for Justin as well."

 

"It's not a problem, Sir. I can handle it..." Brian told him, still uncertain of what he needed to handle, yet aware that his father could be making some valid points. "So... let's have it. What does the great Don Caletti have planned for us all?"

 

"That's very simple, son." Salvatore took in a deep breath, releasing it before speaking the words he had always hoped to say one day. "I want you to take over leadership of the Family. I will continue to mentor you for as long as needed and step aside when the time is right. Not only is this your birthright, Brian. It is your destiny."

 

TBC