- Text Size +

 

"Fuck!" Brian exclaimed harshly, as he slammed the phone down with extreme force when his call to Justin had routed to voicemail for the fifth time in the past twenty minutes. Brian began to fret about why Justin wasn't answering his phone. Had Charles gotten to him so quickly? Or, was he spending the morning frolicking in bed with the fucking fiddler? Both thoughts sent a disgusted quiver through him for different reasons. Then, he realized how often in the past he'd reprimanded Justin for not turning his phone on. He would assume that to be the case now. That was the only assumption that would work in pacifying him.

 

Splashing on his favorite cologne before looking into the mirror one last time, Brian pocketed his keys and grabbed his briefcase hoping to arrive at the diner earlier than usual. He had to make Justin listen to him... and he intended to do just that. At this moment, he didn't care if he had to drag the tempestuous blond away kicking and screaming - he would say what he had to say. Punching the buttons in the lift, Brian decided that raised another question. What the fuck was he going to tell Justin? By the way, Justin, my brother that I never told you about, happens to be a practicing warlock - a power I used to share but gave it up years ago. Oh, and if that isn't enough, how about this - my brother plans to use you to destroy me. So, stay away from Charles Meade. Right. That would go over only too well.

 

Stepping onto the curb and into his new Vette, Brian began to grind his teeth together in helpless fury at the fear and hopelessness Charles' arrival had instilled in him. Justin would laugh at him and think him to have gone mad. Brian didn't doubt it for a moment. The truth of the matter, he couldn't blame him for that. If someone came to him with such a story - no matter how much he trusted them, he would think they had pitched head-first off the deepest end, with no hope of return. In addition to the fact, their relationship was still tense, most particularly when Ian was present. Driving Justin into the fiddler's arms had to be his single greatest regret... and he didn't do regrets. But he had realized long ago he was becoming way too attached to Justin.

 

He always knew Charles would resurface someday. Pushing Justin into the arms of another man was the best form of protection he could find. Now to realize his sacrifice had been all for nothing. Charles had been watching him, to the extent of living in his mind. Every memory Brian held of Justin was now Charles' if and when he chose to explore them. Parking in front of the diner, Brian locked the car before going inside, hoping he could focus and not allow the mere sight of Justin to either distract him or cause him to say the wrong thing. As he stepped inside, he was relieved to determine that Justin was working - and even more so in noticing the fiddler wasn't hanging about as was so often the case. Brian didn't think Ian distrusted Justin, but they were all men and each of them knew the score. A man knows when another man wants what he has. Brian made sure to keep his friends in the dark as much as possible, but he let it slip in front of the fiddler from time to time. Just a look that passed between them saying, I can take him back anytime I want. Both of them knew that to be the absolute truth.

 

Brian sat down at a table far away from where he usually sat with his friends. Ted and Emmett were the only two present, both looking at him in confusion, yet wisely choosing not to push his buttons this morning. He watched with a narrow-eyed gaze as Justin sauntered over to his table, delivering his coffee with a slight smile. Brian smiled tightly, before he said, "Take a break, Justin. It doesn't look busy in here."

 

"A break? What for?" Justin asked, placing one hand on his hip looking at his former lover inquiringly.

 

"I need to talk to you," Brian clipped out in between clenched teeth. "Now, as you've ignored all of my phone messages this morning... have a seat. Please."

 

"Please? Wow, this must be important," Justin laughed, his smile immediately fading as he focused on Brian's stern expression. "Phone calls? I didn't get any."

 

Brian looked at him dubiously. "How about you check again. I left five messages just this morning."

 

Justin pulled out his phone, displaying that it was on and that there were no messages or missed calls. Arching a brow, Justin told him, "I think you dialed the wrong number. Guess that happens when you trick so much."

 

"I don't save the phone numbers of tricks onto my phone, Sunshine... as you should well know. Why the hell didn't you receive my messages?" Brian demanded as if Justin would have the answer to his questions. Brian's eyes darkened in anger when the answer immediately dawned on him. "Charles. Fucking Charles. He's started already."

 

Justin sat down, the name Brian murmured just loud enough for him to hear, capturing his immediate attention. "Did you say, Charles?"

 

Brian looked at Justin shrewdly. "Yes, my twin brother, Charles. Have you had contact with him?"

 

"Uhhh no, Brian. But twin... seriously? Why didn't I ever know about him? I mean... did anyone?" Justin asked him in bewilderment.

 

"Charles is a part of my life that I have tried to forget. The man is pure evil but can put on the face of an angel when he wishes. Stay away from him, Justin," Brian implored him.

 

Justin shrugged. "I don't see why our paths would cross."

 

"Trust me, Justin - they will. He knows about my past with you, and he's here to make me suffer. He will attempt to pursue you in order to get to me. You have to be on guard and keep your distance. It's doubtful you can even stop him, but you must try," Brian stated vehemently.

 

"Uhhh, I'm lost, Brian. Why would he think I could be used to hurt you? We're not even together, and it's not like you care about me like that," Justin answered, watching Brian closely... hoping to find a flicker of emotion in those hazel eyes that his gut told him was still there.

 

"You don't know shit, Justin. I've always cared - in my own way. Just stay away from Charles. I have to get to the office. Can we meet later and discuss this more?" Brian asked him, taking a long sip of coffee, before tossing some bills down on the table.

 

"I - ahhh - don't see why that's necessary, and Ethan wouldn't like it," Justin hedged.

 

"Fuck the fiddler," Brian sneered. Leaning down closer, Brian whispered, "I will warn you just once, Justin. If you value the life of your boyfriend... I'd break up with him now."

 

Before Justin could respond to Brian's uncommon threat, a deep voice was heard from behind them. Both pairs of eyes turned to look at the man that was Brian's physical twin... unproven yet to the blond that was his opposite in every other way. "Well now... breakfast threats. What a lovely way to start the day."

 

"Charles," Brian snapped out shortly. "I don't have time for this now. I need to get to the office."

 

Justin looked back and forth between them, unable to fathom that Brian had a twin. "I can't believe there's really two of you."

 

"We are nothing alike," Brian hissed in disgust. "You can leave now, Charles."

 

"I don't think so. I haven't had my breakfast as of yet. I think I'll relax in this charming little diner you're so fond of, dear brother." Charles placed a hot look upon Justin as he continued, "And the view here is infinitely pleasing."

 

Justin flushed, immediately seeing that Charles had all of Brian's seductive charms, wondering to himself how two of them would affect Liberty Avenue. "I, uhhh, need to get back to work. I can bring you a menu if you'd like... Sir."

 

Charles nodded, his eyes trailing up and down Justin leisurely. "I'd like very much, but please call me Charles, my dear boy." His eyes became cold as they fell upon Brian. "Weren't you going to the office, Brian?"

 

Brian looked from one to the other, knowing there was nothing he could do - now. He gritted his teeth in anger, before clipping out, "Yes, I have meetings. Justin... Please call me, I really need to talk to you."

 

Justin nodded, clearly seeing how upset Brian was still. "I don't have classes today. We could meet for lunch."

 

Brian nodded, ignoring his brother's amused presence. "Stop by my office when you're free. Obviously, the phone lines are not to be trusted."

 

Charles chuckled. "Ah yes. Phones. Can't trust them at all, can you? Very unreliable."

 

Brian glared at his brother. "Yes, especially when someone is tampering with them."

 

Charles smiled warmly at Justin. "I'll have some coffee, Justin. I'm just going to walk my brother out."

 

Justin nodded, watching as the two men walked out, shaking his head from side to side. He moved over to Ted and Emmett refilling their coffee. He smiled at the dropped jaws at the table, his question immediately answered. "You didn't know about him either."

 

Ted regained his composure first. "No. A world with two Brian Kinney's. God, what a nightmare."

 

"Mmm-hmmm. Should be interesting," Justin agreed. He looked at Emmett sharply. "You okay, Emmett?"

 

"Oh yes. I'm still reeling from the shock, baby. But I wonder why Brian has kept him a secret... and why he's here now?" Emmett pondered aloud.

 

"I don't know, but I have a feeling we're going to find out," Justin answered almost grimly, having a more than unsettling feeling about the reunion of these two brothers.

 


 

"You can play all the games you want with me and my friends, but it won't last forever, Charles. I will find a way to stop you..." Brian snapped, as soon as they were out the door.

 

"Is that so?" Charles asked almost in boredom.

 

"Did you forget that you can't change the human heart? All your tricks in the world won't make Justin love you," Brian needlessly reminded.

 

Charles laughed shortly. "I told you - I don't need his heart. The rest of him will do quite nicely."

 

"You disgust me," Brian rasped angrily.

 

Charles tapped on his lip thoughtfully, as if he was coming to a decision. "You know, Brian. I don't like your interference in Justin's life. His devotion to you puts a bit of a strain on my plans for him. I think I'll just have to evoke a special kind of spell."

 

Brian's eyes widened. "What kind of spell?"

 

"A forgetting spell. I see by the look on your face you know precisely how that will work," Charles laughed evilly.

 

"What exactly are you planning, Charles?" he demanded to know.

 

"It's quite simple, dear Brian. A kiss of forgetfulness. Once Justin kisses me of his own free will, his memory of his past with you shall be erased. You will cease to exist for him," Charles told him, coldly laughing at the dismay on Brian's face. "I see you understand how futile any attempts to keep me from him are now."

 

"You are pathetic. Enjoy yourself, Charles. It won't last. I will stop you," Brian told him, uncertain of how... but knowing he had to find a way.

 

Charles stared at his brother, his eyes chilling and hateful. "You do whatever you like, Brian. Every effort you make, I will have a counter-attack. It's over, Brian. I have won... and I will be taking what you value the most. Soon, very soon Justin will look at you as a stranger... and once that happens - he's all mine."

 

Brian watched his brother returning to the diner, realizing he had no time to waste. Flipping open his phone, he spoke into it quickly and directly once his assistant answered. "Cynthia, I need you to clear my schedule for this afternoon and the next several days. Then, I want you to book me on the earliest flight that connects to Chance Harbor, Washington."

 

TBC