- Text Size +
Chapter 11


“Haven't you bought enough clothes?” Justin asked impatiently.
They were standing in the middle of the Prada store on North Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, Brian still perusing the numerous stands trying to select the perfect items. They'd spent the previous three hours visiting the Gucci and Armani stores, with Brian already spending a small fortune.
“Never enough,” Brian replied, tongue in cheek, as he concentrated on his task.
“Brian, you can't possibly need any more suits,” Justin stated.
“I do have a certain reputation to maintain, Sunshine,” Brian merely replied and Justin knew not to question any further.
Justin knew Brian always liked to look his best, especially being the owner of the number one advertising agency in Pittsburgh. He did always present himself perfectly when dealing with his clients.
“You could always select a few items yourself,” Brian suggested, still browsing through the rack.
“I don't need any new clothes,” Justin reminded him.
“You might, for that new job,” Brian smirked.
“I don't have a new job.”
“You could have,” Brian said.
“We are not discussing it, Brian.” Justin said firmly.
“Fine.” Brian dropped the subject and continued his shopping expedition.
Justin left the older man to it and wandered outside. Standing on the pavement he glanced back into the store, shaking his head at Brian's almost insistent nature. Justin knew he owed Brian everything. For the last four years or so, Brian Kinney had given him a home, fed and clothed him, paid his college tuition, and supported him in so many other ways. The last few months were all down to his own resources. Justin wanted nothing more than to be able to move in with Brian, but rely on his own endeavours to support himself. This time had to be different. He wanted to support himself financially, not depend on Brian for everything, as in the past.
Justin had no idea exactly what he was going to do, career-wise. One thing was certain, returning to the job at the diner would not be an option. If possible, he wanted to concentrate on his art, at least for a while. See if maybe he could make a living out of it.
“What are you thinking about, Sunshine?” Brian asked, coming up behind him.
“Nothing. You finished?” Justin said quickly.
“Yeah. The store is going to deliver my purchases to the hotel.” Brian said. “Now, what's wrong?”
“Why would you think there's something wrong?” Justin attempted innocence.
“A wise person once said to me, 'I'm onto you.'” Brian smirked.
“Fine. I was thinking about what I'm going to do when we get back.”
“Do about what?”
“A job, Brian. And no, I'm not going to accept your offer.” Justin said, before Brian could interject.
They slowly started walking down the street. Brian instinctively draped his arm around Justin's shoulders.
“Let's get a coffee,” Brian suggested. “And maybe something to eat. I think I can hear your stomach rumbling over the traffic noise.”
“Very funny!” Justin poked Brian in the ribs, eliciting a moan.
They walked a little further and came upon a small cafe. Entering, Brian chose a table near the window. They selected from the menu and waited for their order to arrive.
Brian sensed Justin's uncertainty and knew he had to somehow quell his fears. “Justin,” he started slowly. “You do know you could work at Kinnetik until you decide what you want to do?”
“I know I could, Brian, and I appreciate the offer. I really do. But you've done enough. You've always been there for me, given me everything. Now it's my turn. I've earned quite a bit of money working here. I can live off that for a while until I decide. I really want to work on my painting for a while. See if there's a market out there.”
“Sounds like a plan,” Brian smiled at the blonde. “I'm sure you will have no trouble with your art.”
“You mad at me?” Justin asked.
“No, why should I be?” Brian returned. “I respect your decision to do your own thing.”
“You do?”
“Of course. Justin, you're a very talented artist. I have every confidence in your ability and I know you'll be brilliant.”
“Thank you for saying that.”
“I never say anything I don't mean,” Brian Kinney smirked.
“I know you don't. You still want me to move into the loft?” Justin asked hopefully.
“Why wouldn't I?” Brian countered. “Listen, moving into the loft doesn't change anything. You can pursue your artistic endeavours and still live there. Get yourself a small studio to work in. Just remember, if you need any help, just ask. OK?”
Justin grinned at the older man. “OK.”
At that moment, the waitress appeared with their meals. She quickly deposited the plates on the table and departed.
“I'm starving!” Justin commented.
“You're always starving, Sunshine.” Brian grinned at the young man opposite him.
He was looking forward to having Justin back home again.