- Text Size +
Chapter Two


Brian Kinney sat at his desk in his elaborate office, his eyes transfixed on the computer screen in front of him.
Glancing through the on-line catalogue, he skipped through the numerous listings of cars, jewellery, designer clothing and shoes, property, and finally sculpture and artworks. He stopped with a jolt on a page showing a large painting by one, Justin Taylor.
“Fuck!” he hissed, looking at the screen. The painting featured a large colonial-styled double-storey house set in the distance, surrounded by tall poplar trees and landscaped gardens. It was a stunning picture and Brian was momentarily mesmerised by the detail in it. Drapes at each of the windows, the intricate colours of the flowers in the garden beds, the trees lining the driveway leading to the house. It was beautifully painted as Brian would expect of Justin's talent. It was truly impressive.
He sat staring into the picture, trying to imagine the process that inspired Justin to paint such a wonderfully peaceful scene. As Brian continued to look at the painting, he could see more details and colours he hadn't initially noticed. There were even small figures in one of the downstairs front windows. He smiled softly. 'He's amazing,' he thought, wishing the artist were close enough to compliment him in person.
Hearing the approaching footsteps, Brian quickly saved the page and closed the screen. He looked up as Theodore Schmidt stopped in front of his desk.
“What?” Brian said abruptly.
“You wanted this contract. I've checked it over thoroughly and all is in order.” Ted advised his employer and friend.
“Great. They'll be here early next week to sign off on it.” Brian took the offered documents and placed them on his desk. “Anything else?”
“No, Bri.” Ted said quickly. “Did you find that special something to buy while you were out today?”
“Not yet. Still working on some possibilities.” Brian replied. “Now, Theodore, if you don't mind ....,” Brian indicated the desk hinting that he was actually working.
“Sure, boss. No problem.” Ted Schmidt hastily exited Brian's office.
Alone again, Brian opened up the web page he'd saved a few minutes earlier. He studied the painting on the screen again, smiling as a thought came to him.
Brian Kinney opened up another page on his laptop and efficiently typed in the information he required. Finding exactly what he was looking for, he processed the transaction and waited for the confirmation.
'Done!' he thought to himself. In the next few minutes, he also made some other arrangements via the Internet. Once he was happy with everything, he then checked the schedule for Kinnetik over the next couple of days.
He'd already spent most of his Wednesday morning window shopping with Michael, and now after lunch, there were no client meetings scheduled for this afternoon. Thursday and Friday were equally light, but he already knew that. There would be staff meetings and discussions on the upcoming campaigns they were involved in, and of course, the hugely important meeting with Eyeconic Optics next Tuesday to sign off on a three-year deal.
“Orange is the new blue,” Brian said softly to himself, smiling at the memory of that particular occasion when Justin had upstaged him in a meeting with Eyeconics.
Happy that nothing would be disrupted too much, he tidied his desk, packed up his laptop and briefcase, and grabbed his Prada jacket. He stopped at Cynthia's office.
“Cynthia,” Brian said succinctly. “I'm leaving for the rest of the afternoon,” Brian stated. “Oh, and I won't be back until Tuesday morning.”
“But, boss, what about ..... ?” Cynthia started to say, but Brian raised a hand stopping her.
“All is in hand. Theodore checked the Eyeconics contract, all good. You and he can hold the fort for a few days. I'm sure the rest of the staff have everything under control, as always. So, I'll see you Tuesday.” Brian gave her a grin, turned and headed to the front door, leaving her stunned.