- Text Size +

 

Brian's eyes remained fixed and unblinking on Ben as he surveyed the man he thought he could trust above all others, caught in the middle of betrayal. His finger itched as he watched the guilty awareness flushing his cheeks, his instincts propelling him to pull the trigger without any further words being issued. He shook his head in sad disbelief as he continued to stare Ben down - anger blazing and burning in every pore. "I guess you have nothing to say then. Apparently, the police are no good to me since the chief of police in your county is the obvious mastermind. I guess it's time for a little vigilante justice."

 

Ben's eyes widened as he swallowed slowly. "Brian, be serious. You can't possibly think..."

 

"Shut up, Bruckner. I heard every fucking word. What I want to know is very simple. How long has this been going on?" Brian demanded in a low controlled voice - one that spoke volumes to anyone that knew him, the degree of his anger.

 

"Fuck, Brian. Give me a chance to explain. It's not what you think." Ben stopped speaking, almost as soon as he started, upon seeing the look of disbelief on Brian's face. "C'mon, Brian. You know me, as you know how devoted I've always been to Justin's care."

 

"All I know is you put on a hell of a good act, most especially being that you've fooled me all this time. Now, answer my question - how fucking long?" Brian hissed.

 

Ben swallowed deeply, his eyes moving toward the gun in Brian's hand. "Not long. Right after the car bombing. Stockwell called me after it happened to express his sorrow that a new location hadn't placed Justin in a state with more security. He asked me to meet with him. He told me he had an offer I couldn't refuse - if I wanted Justin to come out of this alive."

 

"Do you think I'm a fool? Why would Stockwell reveal himself to you, and if he did, why didn't you come to me? What are you leaving out?" Brian demanded, not buying into his story for one moment.

 

"Stockwell is running scared. He says this is getting out of hand and that he never intended to kill Justin. All he wants is Lindsay to get Gus back. He said he wanted to spook Justin so badly that he would sign his rights to Gus over to Lindsay, all in Gus' best interest," Ben began to explain.

 

"Out of hand?" Brian sneered. "Those looked like some serious attacks from where I was standing. Why would he think you would help him?"

 

Ben ran a shaky hand through his hair, before he cautiously sat down on the front of Brian's desk - making certain not to make any sudden movements. "You remember that trouble my little brother was in a while back?"

 

Brian nodded. "A drug bust if I remember. A case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time if I remember correctly."

 

"Yes. Steven was innocent, but his friends left him holding the bag. He ended up testifying against them and was acquitted of any wrongdoing, but that in part was behind the scenes."

 

"I get it. Stockwell helped him out on the condition you would ‘owe' him," Brian grumbled in disgust. "Now, payday has arrived."

 

"You got it. I've been going crazy the past few days, wanting to come to you, I just hoped I could handle it," Ben answered, his dismay more than apparent.

 

Brian lowered his gun, maintaining a firm grip upon it, his eyes probing Ben's face relentlessly. "I don't know why, but I believe you. I've watched you with both Justin and Gus, the depth of your feelings for them was real - I know it."

 

"Of course, it is. You know me, Brian. I would protect them with my life. I should have come to you the minute Stockwell contacted me, but I thought I could sort it all out; along with believing him that he didn't intend to harm Justin."

 

"You don't really believe that, do you? Your intellect is faltering immensely in my eyes right now," Brian said, shaking his head sadly.

 

"I don't know if I truly believed it, but I hoped, and I thought playing along with Stockwell might buy us a bit more time. He knew about your plans to leave the country with Justin and Gus."

 

Brian shrugged his shoulders in a show of indifference. "I know this, Ben. I had him tipped off."

 

"I know you said you wanted to flush the would-be killer out, but instead, to actually lure who you thought was the killer to Justin. I trust you had a good plan of defense," Ben muttered in disbelief.

 

"I did," Brian answered. "However, that's all up in smoke now. We won't be leaving in the morning now."

 

"So, what's the plan now?" Ben asked, while wondering if Brian would even trust him enough with that information.

 

Brian pocketed his weapon, as he scrutinized Ben closely. "In the morning, you're going to call Stockwell and tell him you disabled the security system, and in the process, Gus has gone missing."

 

"You realize that will have Stockwell rushing in here, right?" Ben asked, looking at Brian with an upraised brow, more than anxious to learn about Brian's plan.

 

"That's exactly what I want. Jim Stockwell will be dealt with - once and for all," Brian answered savagely.

 

Ben nodded in understanding. "I'll do whatever you need, Brian. With him eradicated, I won't have this threat of him hanging over my head. Umm, what about Gus and Justin? They won't be here, right?"

 

"I'm getting Gus and Justin out of here tonight, Debbie as well. However, I will need you to stay. Is this going to be a problem, and more importantly - can I really trust you?" Brian asked, staring him down intently.

 

"Brian, I don't know what to do or say to convince you of this. I only hope time will prove my words to be true. Tell me what to do, and that is what I will do," Ben replied fervently, looking at Brian with open sincerity burning in his eyes.

 

Brian sighed his acceptance. "Okay, it's done, then. I'm going back to Justin. I'm surprised he hasn't hunted me down yet. Perhaps that means he fell asleep."

 

"Some rest will do him good with all he's had to face," Ben acknowledged grimly.

 

"It isn't over yet, either."

 

"I agree. Stockwell is pulling the strings - but I have a feeling there are a few puppets involved. He did mention there was a rookie cop on his payroll that was helping him in this. Montgomery was the name, but I don't remember all of it. I would say that would be who is doing the letters and the explosions," Ben grimly surmised.

 

Brian frowned for a moment, deep in thought. "Montgomery, Damn, I know that name. A connection that's not in my reports, but what?"

 

"It'll come to you, Bri. Always does. I'll get Justin's things packed. I am assuming he's in your room..." Ben said with a knowing look.

 

"You would assume correctly. I'm going back to Justin now. In a couple of hours, I will move them out. Go get some sleep, Ben. You will need your wits about you in the morning..." Brian sternly advised.

 

Ben nodded, his head hanging low to the ground. "I can't tell you how sorry I am, Brian. I should have come to you immediately. I'm actually relieved that you found out. Now, we can stay on track and end this."

 

"We all make mistakes, Ben. This was a big one - but not one beyond repair. Good night. I'll give you the nod before I want you to call Stockwell. I want to make certain they are all long gone first."

 

"I understand. Good night, Brian. Thanks for not shooting me," Ben said with a chuckle.

 

Brian laughed. "Not a problem. I have enough blood on my hands, and it's not finished yet."

 

"No, it's not, but hopefully, it will be soon."

 

"It will be, Ben. That I can promise..." Brian responded, before walking back toward his room and to what he hoped to be a sleeping Justin.

 


 

Brian smiled when he opened the door, his eyes warming at the sight that greeted him. Justin was curled up on his side with Brian's pillow clutched against his chest. He didn't understand the warmth that flowed through him at the onset of the feelings the innocent sight evoked within him - he only knew that they were present. He gingerly moved to the bedside table, not wanting to awaken Justin, while setting the alarm to go off in two hours. He wanted Justin, Gus, and Debbie long gone before the final stages of this war began, a battle in which he excelled - and determined he would once more.

 

Placing his gun inside the nightstand, Brian quickly removed his pants before sliding under the covers next to Justin. Brian Kinney did not cuddle, however, that didn't stop him from wanting the feel of the hot blond nestling in his arms. He told himself it wasn't the same thing - not at all. He curled his arm around Justin, gently pulling him so the blond's head could use his chest as a pillow. Brian placed the pillow Justin was clutching beneath his own head, as he stroked Justin's hair - up and down - needing to feel him in even the most basic of ways. He remembered back to what Ben had told him on a couple of occasions - you're falling for him, Brian. He grimaced, wondering if it was possibly true. Could the man whose heart had long seemed to be fashioned out of steel, actually be falling hard and fast for this blond?

 

Brian shook his head in grim acceptance. Continuing to stroke Justin's hair, Brian whispered softly, "Rest now, little songbird. It will be over soon. I'll make sure of that." Brian smiled as Justin snuggled in closer, almost as if his subconscious had heard him. His last thought before falling into his own rest was that Ben could have called this one straight on - he was falling over the edge, losing all of his self-ordered control, all into the caring of this beautiful and entirely too vulnerable blond. A vulnerability he would set right, and eradicate any that threatened to place him in that position ever again. No other outcome would Brian Kinney accept.

 

TBC