- Text Size +

 

Gus looked up at his father with wide excited eyes, bouncing on his lap so energetically that it seemed to break the law of physics that he hadn't fallen to the floor. In his excitement, he asked repetitively, "Do you mean it, Daddy? Really, really mean it? Is it over? The bad man is gone, forever?"

 

Justin smiled down at the miniature version of himself, love shining in his eyes. His lips spreading into that smile that couldn't fail to brighten a room - along with one that a certain brunet couldn't pull his gaze from - he answered, "Yes, Gus. I meant it. The bad man is gone forever, and that is something I need to talk to you about."

 

Brian rolled his lips under, thinking this was undoubtedly father and son time. "I'm going to take a quick shower. How about I meet you out on the beach when I get out?"

 

Justin groaned as Gus bounced even more frantically on his lap. "The beach? Yay! We can go to the beach now!"

 

"That's right, buddy." Justin ruffled his hair affectionately, before he forced a more serious expression on his face. "First, I want to talk to you about something very important."

 

Debbie watched as Brian moved away to give them some privacy, quickly deciding she should do the same. "I'll just pack us up some snacks for the beach and everything we need. Call if you need anything, Sunshine."

 

"Will do, Deb, and thank you," Justin answered her with a warm smile.

 

"My pleasure, sweetheart."

 

Justin watched as the room emptied except for him and his son before he looked at him intently. "I want to treat you like the big boy you are quickly becoming. I need you to understand about the bad man that wanted to take me away, possibly even hurt me."

 

Gus' face became all solemn. "Okay, Daddy."

 

Swallowing deeply, Justin continued, "Okay, champ. This isn't easy for me to say, but you need to hear this from me. It will be in the news and I don't want you to hear it from someone else. The bad man was Ethan."

 

"No, Daddy. That can't be. Ethan loved us, I know he did," Gus answered, his little lip quivering as he looked up at his father intently.

 

"I'm sorry, Gus. I know it's hard for you to understand right now, but sometimes people aren't who we think they are," Justin said with a low sigh, having known this would be difficult - but feeling it was a talk he needed to have.

 

"You mean they pretend?" Gus asked, his wide-eyed expression never faltering from Justin's face.

 

Justin nodded. "Yes, sometimes they pretend. And then other times, I think they are just confused and make bad choices. The most important thing now is that we are all safe. What I want you to remember is this, Gus - no matter how well you think you know someone, you must be careful. I don't want you to ever go with anyone - no matter what they tell you unless I am either with you or have told you from my own lips that it's okay. If you don't hear me say it - then it's not safe. Can you do that for me, buddy?"

 

Gus nodded vigorously. "Yes, Daddy. I can do that." His face scrunching up thoughtfully, he asked, "Now that we're all safe does that mean Mr. Kinney will be leaving? I really wish he'd stay with us. I think you do, too."

 

Eyes darkening in pain at the thought of Brian leaving to return to his own life, Justin looked off into the distance willing that feeling away for now. Today was for Gus. After that, he hoped to find a way to make Brian stay; the man that had undoubtedly not only saved his life, but stolen his heart as well. "You're right, Gus. I hope he stays with us. More than anything I hope that."

 

"Did you ask him?" Gus asked, in his mind thinking doing so would solve the entire problem.

 

"Not yet, but I will. Don't you worry about that." Hugging him close, Justin rocked him back and forth, never having felt closer to his son as he did at this moment. "Now, how about we go down to the beach?"

 

Gus pulled back and smiled at his father brightly. "Yes! The beach. Let's go, Daddy." He leaned forward to squeeze his little arms tightly around Justin's neck, moving to kiss him noisily on the cheek. "I love you, Daddy. So so much."

 

"I love you too, Gus. More than anything. Let's get into our swim trunks, and then I'll race you down to the beach." Justin watched as Gus slid off his lap and dashed toward his room, love shining from within. For now, it was all about spending time with his son; later he hoped to spend some time with the man that now owned his heart - his hope to find a way to make their situation one of a more lasting duration. Justin could imagine how he would live with the devastation of finding Brian to only lose him now. That couldn't happen, and it wouldn't happen.

 


 

An hour later, Brian joined the three of them on the beach, a frown piercing his brow at the news he had to deliver to Justin. All the threats had been neutralized, but now it came time for Justin to hear about Lindsay's treachery. He had just stepped out of the shower when Frank had called him. First, about Daphne, to follow up with advising him about Lindsay's arrest. Seeing Gus and Deb building a sandcastle a short distance away, Brian sat down next to Justin knowing he had to tell him everything.

 

Justin smiled as Brian sat down beside him, his expression fading upon seeing the seriousness piercing Brian's beautiful face. "Brian? What's wrong?"

 

"I just got off the phone with Frank. He had some more information to give me that we didn't have time to discuss earlier. I have good and bad news..." Brian began, smiling only slightly when Justin moaned.

 

"I always hate that good news/bad news speech, the bad always overshadows the good." Sighing deeply, he said, "Okay then, let's have it."

 

Brian laughed. "Yeah, usually that's right. Maybe not in this case. Frank heard from his agent in Pittsburgh. Daphne has woken up."

 

"Really? That's wonderful, Brian! So, she's going to be okay, right?" Justin asked, his face locked tightly upon Brian's.

 

"Frank seemed to think so. They still have her on some pain meds, so she'll be a bit loopy for a while, but I'd say her recovery looks very promising," Brian assured him.

 

"I can't wait to see her," Justin admitted.

 

Brian nodded in complete understanding. "I have the feeling she feels the same. Frank mentioned your name was the first word spoken when she came around. His agent assured her that you were fine, but I don't think she will fully accept that until she sees you. Now, for the bad news..."

 

"Let's hear it. I think I can take it with the good news you just gave me," Justin said with an encouraging smile.

 

"Lindsay was arrested for being in collusion with Ethan. She was paying him a large sum of money to take you far away from here and leave Gus behind. Undoubtedly, her goal was to separate you from Gus' life. By the time you returned - if you ever did - she would have fought to secure full custody of your son," Brian spat out, anger swelling within him toward the blonde woman that he'd never trusted.

 

"Are they really sure?" Justin asked in disbelief, although a part of him accepted that Lindsay would go this far, for Gus' sake, he wished that it wasn't the case. "What about Melanie?"

 

Brian smiled, as his gaze pulled to Gus running around his sandcastle and moving toward the water to just get his feet wet. He looked back at Justin. "Yes, they have Lindsay locked down tight. Frank never trusted her, a feeling I shared equally. He was having your house monitored. She foolishly called Ethan and they got it all. Melanie stood up for you and walked away from her. So, when you return, it looks like your house is now all in order."

 

Justin nodded, not missing how Brian had said, when he returned, meaning his bodyguard wasn't necessarily making the same trip with him. "I don't know how I'll ever explain this to Gus. How do I do that, Brian?"

 

"I don't have the answers for you, Justin, It's often a bad, ugly world, and this is just one of those times. What I have seen is how devoted Gus is to you. I think losing you would have been even more devastating. Granted, losing his mother will be a huge void, but I have no doubt you will more than fill it. Don't forget, Justin, he's your son. I think he's much tougher than he appears." Brian told him, looking deeply into Justin's eyes, knowing there was one more thing he had to tell him, words that he never thought he'd find so difficult, or never had been in the past - but that was before Justin Taylor.

 

Looking over his shoulder at Gus frolicking on the beach, waving when he shouted out and moved his arms energetically toward him, Justin smiled in agreement. "Yes, he's tough. It won't be easy for him, but he's my top priority. I will do everything I can to make him feel secure and happy."

 

"I never doubted it for a moment. It just takes a glance to see the way that child worships you, Justin. He's going to be just fine." Brian's gaze moved out toward the water where Gus was digging up more wet sand, his eyes troubled as he looked back toward Justin. "There's one more thing..."

 

Justin, having followed his gaze, watched Gus for a few moments before he turned back toward Brian. "What else?"

 

"Frank needs me back in Pittsburgh to tie up some loose ends. Washington wants him back ASAP, so they want this case closed out immediately. I have to take the first flight out tomorrow. You don't have any security people here, so Frank offered to let the man that's been watching us here stay on until you leave. I figured you'd want to stay a bit longer and spend some time with Gus," Brian told him, feeling a tick in his jaw at the words he was being forced to speak. Sooner than he had anticipated, but his duty had been that deciding factor.

 

Swallowing deeply, Justin looked up at Brian, nodding his agreement. "Yes, I'd like to stay for at least a few more days. Anything less wouldn't be fair to Gus."

 

"That's what I thought, too. We'll have the night together, Justin."

 

Justin looked away and out toward the water. He swiped at the tear he felt sliding down his cheek. Almost hollowly, he whispered, "So, this is goodbye, then."

 

"This day has been coming from the beginning, Justin. You know that," Brian answered, resisting the impulse to pull Justin into his arms.

 

Whipping his head around, Justin looked at him wildly. "It doesn't have to be that way, Brian. You could stay with us. I need you."

 

"You don't need anyone other than yourself, Justin. You know that," Brian bit out, struggling with this more than he ever imagined to be possible. "I can't stay, Justin. I just don't work that way. I would lose focus."

 

"You're wrong, Brian. People do need people. It's what makes us human. Maybe I didn't always see that, but I do now." Looking deeply into the beautiful hazel eyes that almost seemed to be bearing pain, Justin told him, "There are so many things I see more clearly now."

 

"I'm going to go make some calls enabling us to be alone for the night, unless, of course, you no longer want that..." Brian began, probing Justin's eyes deeply - for the first time uncertain of how Justin would respond.

 

Justin's eyes darkened as he focused on the beauty that was simply Brian. He smiled, as he raised his hand to stroke along the cheek of the most beautiful man he had or would ever see. Not a doubt did he have of that simple fact. "Yes, I still want that. I want you, Brian. If this is our last night together, I will deal with that afterward. However, I warn you, don't be surprised if I try to change your mind."

 

Brian's eyes fastened hungrily on Justin's lips. "Surprised, no. Truthfully, I'd be disappointed if you didn't at least try, Songbird. I'm going to give you a night you'll never forget, Taylor. Beyond that, I can't promise anything."

 

Justin nodded as he watched Brian walking away. His heart breaking, yet yearning for the impossible brunet, Justin let out an audible sigh. His eyes downcast, and heart heavy, he didn't notice Debbie come up next to him and look down at him with a knowledge of years of both experience and deep understanding.

 

"Sunshine," she whispered softly. "I know it's hard, but you've got to let Brian find his way. Believe me when I tell you that I have never seen him like this - ever. He cares about you so much more than he will ever admit, but the asshole is too damned stubborn. Regardless of that, you have two choices."

 

"What are those?" Justin asked, looking up at the compassion in her eyes.

 

"It's very simple, sweetheart. You can either accept tonight is the end and let him go, or if you really think he's worth it - you can fight for him. Your choice, Justin. Only you can decide."

 

"Thank you, Deb. Your support throughout this nightmare and your kindness will always be with me. I can't ever thank you enough."

 

She looked down at him lovingly, her eyes clouded with concern. "I think you just did, Sunshine. Keep that chin up and that smile that the whole world knows and loves. Your strength will see you through."

 

Silently, Justin watched her move back toward Gus, knowing the only choice his heart would allow him to make. He may not accomplish it tonight, but somehow he would convince Brian they were meant to be together. He would never give up this fight. He was in love for the first time in his life, head over heels in love with his beautiful bodyguard. His voice aching and full of love, he whispered, "I won't give up on you, Brian, or on us. I love you, and I know you love me, too. In time you will admit it. I know you will."

 


 

The evening had been more than perfect. Brian had more than delivered on his promise. He had rented a bungalow near enough to the one they had shared together to be close should Gus need them, but far enough away to be assured of their privacy. Brian had set up dinner on the beach, candlelight, and every exotic dish that could be attributed to the island. After dinner they enjoyed Pina Coladas, staring out at the setting sun, before the stars lined up on the horizon. Each of them had done well to keep their hands off of each other during dinner, both of them knowing failing to do so would have them fucking on the beach. Neither of them had a problem with that, except on this night. They wanted privacy. Any distractions or interruptions were not wanted. All they wanted was each other.

 

Justin looked at Brian over the candlelight, knowing he couldn't wait any longer. He wanted to be in Brian's arms, he needed him, more than anything. Standing up, he looked down at Brian who seemed to be almost brooding on the other side of the table. Brian didn't know it, but his entire body language throughout dinner continued to give Justin more hope. One that he intended to build upon for the rest of the night. "Brian, let's go inside. This evening has been beautiful, but all I really want is you. I need you so fucking badly."

 

Brian stood from his seat, his arm immediately snagging around Justin's waist to pull him close. His lips landed on Justin's neck, licking and biting the soft luscious skin. "You don't need to ask again. I'm going to fuck you, Justin. All night long. Deep, hard, and fast."

 

Smiling as Brian pulled him forward, Justin determined this would be far from their last night together. Perhaps they would separate tomorrow, but they would be together again. When they reached the bedroom, Brian kicked the door closed behind them, his hands swiftly moving to unsnap, unzip, and pull every article of clothing off the blond's skin. Justin artfully dodged Brian's intended attack on his lips by pushing the brunet back to fall upon the bed. Finishing the task of removing his clothing, Justin crawled up on the bed, laying his body atop Brian's, his lips lowering to nibble and suck on Brian's chest. Reaching down he released the snap on Brian's jeans, pulling the zipper down slowly, before reaching his hand inside to lovingly cradle the hardened shaft that he ached to feel inside him. However, he determined, not quite yet.

 

Quirking a brow, Brian rasped, "I like this more aggressive side of you. Of course, you know I want much more than your hand, Taylor."

 

Justin looked up at Brian, his eyes full of a hungry lust that only being possessed by this man would satisfy. Licking a trail down the perfect line of Brian's stomach, Justin began tugging the pants completely down, exultant of the fact that Brian was going commando. His voice low and husky, Justin told him, "You don't have to worry about that, Mr. Bodyguard. I plan to worship this body of yours until I am so deeply embedded in your blood, it is impossible to drive me out."

 

Brian groaned as Justin's mouth completely engulfed him in one swoop, his innermost thoughts and fears more than prevalent: You've already achieved that, Justin Taylor. I don't know how I will say goodbye to you in the morning. I only know that's how it has to be. His head arched back as Justin's mouth skillfully moved on him, slowly, then quickly, using every technique and trick he knew to drive him wild with need, Brian's hand reached out to slide into Justin's hair, holding on as he thrust forward - yet not guiding him, allowing Justin to control the speed and depth of his strokes. Sifting his fingers, in and out, Brian growled, "So fucking good."

 

Justin placed one hand on Brian's ass, lifting him closer, in his own way telling Brian he didn't need to hold back - wanting more than anything to feel the full force of Brian's passion. His mouth backed off to lick around the mushroom head, his lips stabbing repeatedly into the leaking slit, before moving it to sweep back and forth along the pulsing vein underneath. Feeling Brian was getting close, Justin's throat began to hum as he fully swallowed him to the root once more, reveling in the feeling, and at the moment, unable to accept this could possibly be the end. He backed off long enough to whisper, "Come, Brian. I want to make you come all fucking night long..."

 

Brian tightened his grip on Justin's hair, as the other clutched on the sheets beneath him, his eyes wild and feral as he panted out, "Not a problem, Justin. All night. Fuck yes, that's a promise."

 

All night long proved to be more than accurate in word and deed. The bed was a wreck when they had finished, as Brian had fucked Justin in every conceivable position that was known to either of them. When they lay together in a state of post-coital bliss, Brian pulled Justin's lips to his, their lips meeting and clinging in what was an expression of heartfelt emotion, whether either man voiced it or not.

 

Brian dozed only briefly, reluctantly sliding out from beneath Justin, deciding this had been goodbye and not a long emotional one in the morning. Taking a quick shower and changing, Brian returned to the room to retrieve his bag that he had thought to place there earlier, looking at Justin one last time - curled up sleeping soundly with a soft smile on his face.

 

Backing to the door, Brian shook his head back and forth, his eyes drinking in the vision before him, his heart aching and soaring all at once. Before walking out and closing the door behind him, Brian whispered, "Goodbye, my little Songbird. How I wish..."

 

As the door closed behind him, and a car starting was heard in the distance, Justin's eyes flickered open as the tears openly flowed. Clutching Brian's pillow to his chest, he deeply inhaled his lover's special scent. His voice broke as he emitted a vow, "No, Brian. It's not goodbye. We will be together. You, my love, won't be able to live without me, nor I without you. You will come back to me. I swear it."

 

Justin curled into a ball as the sobs racked his body, knowing no matter how certain he was of their eventual reunion, until then, his heart would be irrevocably broken. The only hope of its repair, residing in returning to the arms of the man he loved.

 

The man he would always love.

 

TBC