- Text Size +

 

Justin arrived at Vangard on Monday morning, exhausted, depleted, and completely out of sync. He hoped his first day beginning the work week wasn't about to be too challenging for he wasn't feeling either energetic or productive. All thanks to the diabolical methods of Brian Kinney. Slipping into his small office, Justin ran a hand through his hair after dropping his laptop on his desk, powering it up to search for any incoming messages from Gardner Vance or any pressing assignments. He sighed a deep breath of relief seeing that there were none. His relief was to be short-lived when the harsh tapping at his door signified he was about to receive company.

 

"Come in," Justin shouted out, straightening his shoulders and preparing to at least attempt to work.

 

Gardner Vance stepped inside, smiling slightly at Justin before he sat down across from his desk. "Glad to see you back, Justin. How was your weekend getaway?"

 

"It was interesting, and very enlightening in many ways," Justin responded truthfully. "Thank you again for giving me the trip, sir. It was more than generous."

 

"You deserved it, Justin. If I was unable to go, I couldn't see anyone else more worthy, most especially after you saved my ass on the Brown Athletics campaign..." Vance reminded, meaningfully.

 

Justin flushed slightly at the praise, realizing the words were spoken in truth, but still unaccustomed to hearing it from his normally conservative and tight-lipped boss. "I only did my job, sir."

 

"Don't be so modest, Taylor. It doesn't suit you," Vance growled. "It became glaringly obvious during that campaign - if it hadn't even before that - that my faith in my senior art director has been sadly misplaced. Which brings me to my visit."

 

Listening intently, Justin asked, "What is that, sir?"

 

"I want you to step up your game, Justin. To date, I think you've been holding back, not wanting to step on anyone's toes - so to speak. Am I correct in that?" Vance asked, his eyes piercing him sharply.

 

"Uhh, where exactly is this heading, Mr. Vance?" Justin asked, not wanting to tell his boss he was correct in his assumptions, knowing the senior art director gave him enough of a hassle without doing anything to contribute to it further.

 

Gardner Vance nodded in satisfaction. "That answers my question. Justin, you are a damned fine artist. Don't let them bully you around because you are younger."

 

"Well, I try not to, but all the same, Kyle is the senior art director for good reason. I try to respect that," Justin answered, not saying that Kyle was a pretentious prick that gave him grief over his rejection of him at the Christmas party a year ago.

 

"Justin, this is a cutthroat business. You need to toughen up and look out for number one. Now, this is what I want you to do..." Vance began, continuing on in a brusque, commanding tone, outlining specifically what he expected.

 

Listening attentively as he spoke, Justin looked at him incredulously, in a mixture of surprise and disbelief at what his boss wanted him to do. "Let me make sure I understand this, sir. For every project you assign to Kyle, you want me to bring you, my boards, with my ideas - in essence competing with my boss for the commission and the recognition of acceptance."

 

"That about covers it," Vance replied shortly. "If this goes as I think it should, you will be skating into the position of senior art director. How does that sound to you?"

 

"It sounds great, except that it sounds like I'm getting there a bit unscrupulously," Justin answered, frowning as he considered the matter.

 

"This is non-negotiable, Justin. If you don't want to take the task on, I'm sure I can find another junior art director that won't have so many outdated scruples..." Vance clipped out, in his own way stating the conversation had come to a close.

 

Justin nodded, wondering how he was going to keep this from Kyle - a man that continuously watched him like a hawk, for one reason or another. "I understand, sir. One question, though, if I may?"

 

"Of course, Justin. What is it?" Vance asked, standing up in preparation for leaving.

 

"Will Kyle know about this?" he asked with a great deal of trepidation.

 

"I don't give a damn either way. That's entirely up to you." Looking at him shrewdly, he commented, "I have a feeling you don't want him to know, though. Is there a problem between the two of you that I don't know about?"

 

Justin shook his head immediately, not wanting to create those kinds of waves. He knew how Gardner Vance felt about sexual harassment in the workplace, and he didn't want to be a part of that type of investigation. "No problems, sir. I just wondered, figuring it could get uncomfortable."

 

"Good. I have a meeting with Kyle soon. When it's finished, I will call you up to my office to give you the same specifics I will relay to him. I want your full attention on this, Justin." Looking at him sharply, he said, "I don't have to tell you how important this is to your future..."

 

Sighing deeply, Justin ran a nervous hand through his hair. "No, sir. I understand completely."

 

Watching as Vance left, Justin groaned, realizing this was both good and bad. He didn't doubt he could outdo anything Kyle came up with, but he knew there would be repercussions from the nasty man as a result; also - this could be the diversion he needed to get his mind back on track and away from the vibrant and deceptive man that he had been so close to completely surrendering his heart. Brian, he thought to himself. Fuck. He couldn't even think of his name without his heart rate elevating. Time would heal that, he told himself. It had to. There was no room in his life for a man like Brian Kinney. Now or ever.

 


 

"And I'm telling you - I am not running a fucking charity institution!" Brian hissed into the phone. He swiveled around in his chair, away from the view of downtown Manhattan to see Ted hovering in the doorway. Raising a brow at the thick file he held in his hand, Brian motioned him forward with an impatient wave of his hand.

 

"Sir, I don't need to tell you that times are bad all over. We are doing all that we can to boost sales..." the man foolishly attempted to respond in defense.

 

Brian's eyes crawled to the ceiling in exasperation. "I am well aware of the state of the economy. However, that being said, you are one of the few I am needing to have this talk with today. Sales might be down elsewhere, but not to the degree to which you are currently stagnated. Two weeks, Mr. Reynolds. That's all you have, or I will shut you down!"

 

The man gasped on the other end. "Two weeks isn't much time, Mr. Kinney. We'll do the best we can."

 

"See that you do," Brian growled, as he replaced the phone into the cradle. "Fucking incompetents..." he snarled in disgust, as he stared Ted down from across his polished mahogany desk.

 

Ted raised an eyebrow as he met Brian's stare, forcing himself not to flinch away. One thing that Ted had learned over the years was very simple - never show your weaknesses in front of this man. Friend or foe, it didn't matter. Brian Kinney devoured weakness. "I see our disposition hasn't improved following the plane trip home yesterday."

 

"I'm not in the mood for flippant today, Theodore," Brian snapped. "I'd tread more cautiously if I were you."

 

Nodding in understanding. "Right. That answers that more than clear."

 

Rolling his eyes in impatience, Brian demanded, "Is that the report that I asked for - yesterday!?"

 

"It is indeed, my liege," Ted returned in typical sarcasm. "I could have narrowed the report down had I known exactly what you were looking for. I wasn't under the impression you were looking for a new advertising agency, of course, your image could use some polishing."

 

"Now that's funny, Theodore. Excuse me while I refrain from laughter," Brian replied drolly, despite his tone and the friendly light that was half-hidden in his eyes, at Ted's continued ballsy behavior. He didn't actively encourage it, but he didn't discourage it, either. He had brought Ted back to the land of the living, and into this position at a time that Ted was at his lowest. Brian had trusted in him to give him his loyalty, and in return, he allowed his friend to not only better himself, but live a lifestyle that most men would envy. Now, his personal life was in order as well. Ted was a well-rounded and stable package now. Something Brian vitally needed on a day-to-day basis.

 

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Ted answered blandly. "Here's the report. You would have had the preliminaries yesterday, but I held off for a more thorough finding. I didn't realize time was an issue."

 

Brian arched a brow as he took the offered file. "Time is always important, my dear Theodore."

 

Ted watched blankly as Brian began to leaf through the file, uncertain if his job was done here for the moment or not. Brian hadn't been clear on a good many things since their return. Something had happened in Vegas between Brian and the boy he'd become so entranced with, but what, he didn't know. All he did know was in all the years he had known Brian - he had never seen him as he was with the blond. With no effort at all, Justin Taylor had crawled under Brian's skin, he only hoped for all of their sakes - Brian had worked him out of it.

 

His eyes narrowed as he watched Brian scanning page after page, his immediate impression telling him this was not about business. But what? Vangard, what could possibly interest him so deeply about an advertising agency based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Fuck. Then it dawned on him. Justin Taylor was from Pittsburgh. His mind focused deeper and he remembered even more about that initial report he had obtained on the blond. He worked for Vangard. Fuck, fuck, fuck. It wasn't over, not by a long shot. Brian was uncharacteristically tied up in knots over this kid. Looking at the intent expression on Brian's face, Ted realized this was only the beginning.

 

"Brian..." he began, thinking to talk some sense into his boss, yet uncertain of where to begin.

 

Brian looked up, fixing a cold stare on him. "Save it. I am not interested in any recriminations, or speeches of right and wrong." Brian picked up the phone, connecting directly to his assistant. "Cynthia, I want you to clear my schedule for the rest of the week. Theodore can handle anything that comes up."

 

"This is sudden, Brian," she said with a frown, finding this to be more than out of the ordinary. "Anything else?"

 

"Yes. I want you to place a call to a company called Vangard based in Pittsburgh. I want an appointment made immediately with Gardner Vance - owner and chief CEO, and inform him that I don't like to be kept waiting." Brian smiled as he looked at the file, knowing this was going to get him what he most wanted back in his grasp. "Let me know when that's done."

 

"I'll get right on it, Brian," she told him with a raised eyebrow, sensing something was very off with him, but wisely decided not to push it for now.

 

Ted shook his head at Brian sadly, concern displayed in his eyes. "This is a mistake, Brian. You are still playing with that boy's life."

 

"That's not your concern, Theodore." Brian pierced him with a penetrating stare. "I trust that you can handle things while I'm gone..."

 

"Of course, but..." Ted stuttered, trying to think of something to dissuade Brian from this course - knowing by the determination he read in his eyes, that was not going to happen.

 

"That will be all," Brian clipped out, returning his gaze to the file in front of him.

 

Ted stood, reluctantly and in relief, to be leaving the confines of Brian's office. On the way out, he shook his head knowing whatever Brian was up to it couldn't be good - for any of them. Whatever had happened in Vegas was still ongoing. He knew virtually nothing about Justin Taylor, but he felt sorry for him. The boy was facing a man he couldn't defeat. His only hope was for Brian to lose interest in time. At this point, Ted thought that to be less than likely.

 

Brian picked up his cell phone, dialing the number that would connect him with the man that hadn't left his thoughts for long since the moment they had met. He had no doubt this call wouldn't be well received, but he had to make a connection. He also wanted Justin to continue to be aware of him. Brian nearly groaned as his voice came across the line.

 

"Taylor," he answered, clearly distracted.

 

"Mr. Taylor, how nice to hear your voice," Brian drawled, his voice encased in velvet.

 

Justin's eyes widened, as he dropped the charcoal onto his desk. "Brian? Why are you calling me?"

 

"What if I said I was in the neighborhood, and wanted to check in with an old friend?" Brian responded, knowing that would get his blond nervous and attentive.

 

Justin gasped. "I'd say we are not friends, and not to waste your time. You're not really here, are you?"

 

"No, Justin. However, I could be. Or you could be here. Say the word and I'll make it happen..." Brian answered, his voice dropping even lower. Fuck, he had planned on playing this more casual. The sound of tremor in Justin's voice had him pouncing like the predator they both knew him to be. He knew that wouldn't secure him what he wanted most - Justin back in his arms, or more specifically - back in his bed.

 

"Brian, there's nothing left for us to talk about. We said it all in Vegas," Justin said in a low whisper, hoping he was keeping the yearning out of his voice. How he wished things could be different. He felt things with Brian he had never felt with another man, but he just couldn't be the possession that Brian sought to make him. "Now, I have work to do. Goodbye, Brian."

 

Brian smiled as the call ended, his eyes blazing in need and determination. "Oh no, it's not goodbye, my spirited little blond. We'll be seeing each other very soon, and then I will be taking back control of the situation. Before much longer, you will be begging me to take back complete control of you."

 

TBC