- Text Size +

Chapter 14


“Trenton, is that really you?” In a daze Gus walked over and set the case of wine down on the table. As he stared, Trenton took long, steady strides over to him and pulled him into his arm.

“Gus, I’m so sorry I left without telling you.  I…”

Gus’ mouth brushed Trenton’s so tentatively he wasn’t sure if they actually touched but the shiver that ran through both of them told them they had.  Gus’ arms went around his neck and Trent’s arms pulled him tightly against his body.  Feeling the strength in them the gentleness of Gus’ kiss was gone and the passion took over. 

When they separated to catch their breath, Trenton said, “I am so sorry.  I know…”

“Shhh.  We need to talk but first we need to love.”  Gus took Trent’s hand and led him to the bed he had shared with Justin last night. Once they were undressed and stood looking at each other, he said, “You look so good, Pen.  God, I have missed you so much.” He sat on the edge of the bed and reached for Trenton. He moved to the bed and pressed Gus backward as he joined him on the bed. Gus soon found out that Trenton’s time away had not hindered his skill and he was thinking it might have actually increased it somehow.  As Trent drove into him he changed his angle just enough to change the pressure, driving Gus into a frenzy.  He tried to hold on but within seconds he had shattered in an explosion he had never felt before.  As Trenton finished, Gus nearly passed out from the second orgasm he had within a couple minutes. Trenton collapsed onto the mattress, pulling Gus against him and they napped.


“You do know we are going to have to change the sheets when we get back,” Brian said as they drove to Marcus’.

“I would change every bed in the house to see Gussy happy.  My heart broke for him last night and I think he is going to be a bit upset when he finds out we knew where he was but he will understand once he processes it.”

“I hope so.  So why is Adam around this weekend?” Brian still had a wariness about him.

“Marcus invited him. As much as he loved Dan and as close as they were, Dan never shared much of his childhood with him.  Even though Adam and Dan didn’t grow up together, Adam is helping him understand Dan.”

“He couldn’t know anything.  They only met a couple times.”

“Brian, if it makes Marc feel better it is worth it. It isn’t your choice.”  They pulled up and got out of the car.  Justin stepped into Brian’s arms. “Welcome home, by the way.” They kissed.  “I plan on makeup sex later, just to give you a heads up.” He quickly kissed Brian once more and then headed to the opening door. He laughed as he heard Brian growl low in his throat.  He still loved that man with all his heart.

“Marc, thanks for the invite.” Justin hugged and kissed his friend and then moved on and hugged Adam.  He kissed him on the cheek without thinking.  “Oh, I’m sorry, Adam.  I know we are probably more touchy feely than you appreciate. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

“Don’t worry about me. I have gotten over the homophobia long ago.  I am not saying I don’t mess up on what I say sometimes but I truly don’t mean anything by it.”

“You’re among friends here.” Marcus smiled over at his brother in law.  

Brian hugged Marcus and offered his hand to Adam.  “I’m not as big a hugger as these two.”

“So tell me, is Trenton back?”  Marcus asked

“He is. Gus is with him at our house right now and I am guessing they will head to Trenton’s later.”

“I bet our bed is getting a better workout than it has in a long time.”

“Well, it better rest up fast because I plan to be using it….  Sorry.” Justin said in Adam’s direction as he slipped his arm around Brian and kissed him.

“Don’t be sorry.  I am glad to know Dan had this much love around him. When I finally woke up I didn’t blame him for not wanting a relationship.  It is my fault we weren’t a family.”

Surprisingly, Brian spoke up, “No, it was your father’s fault that you weren’t a family.  You were taught by him. So, what’s for lunch?”

They ate and talked.  At one point Adam looked at Brian, “I was looking through an old box of pictures that Marc set aside for me.  He didn’t know some of the people.  I think it was about the time you met each other.  Would you look through them with me after lunch?” 

“Sure.  Justin is probably better at names.”

“Some of these seem to be later but Justin isn’t in any of them.”

“We were separated more than once, especially before Gus lived with us all the time, well there were a few times after that, too,” Brian said.

“It took us  both a while to get our shit together.  Neither of us are the easiest to live with.” Justin added as his hand slipped into Brian’s lap and Brian pulled him closer.  “I’ll help you clean up, while these two look at pictures.”

Brian followed Adam to Dan’s home office.  Brian could almost see Dan sitting behind the desk.  Adam placed a hand on his shoulder, ‘Thanks for being the brother I couldn’t be.”

“Oh, trust me, I wasn’t his brother.  We were friends with benefits through a good portion of our friendship.” He watched Adam’s reaction and, although he saw some surprise, he didn’t see any withdrawal. “I don’t know what your ideas of sex are or were but we were always safe but we definitely played.” Brian walked toward the desk, “So are the pictures in here?” He took the lid off the plastic box in the center of it.  He sat in Dan’s chair and paused just a second before reaching and pulling out the top picture.  “Wow, I had no idea he still had any pictures of Andre.  I actually thought he had destroyed them all shortly after they broke up.”

“Andre?”

“Ya, I can’t even remember his last name.  When we moved into the secret garden, Andre lived with Dan but it wasn’t long before he started cheating on Dan.”

“All do respect, Brian, didn’t you just say you fooled around all the time?”

“Yes, but by that time we did it together.  We would play as a group.  If we had a fight there were a few times we may have found a trick, not that we paid for sex but you know what I mean.  But Andre lied and cheated.  Does that make sense? He really hurt Dan and Dan didn’t get serious with anyone again until Marcus.  Well were a few short term relationships I think, especially when we were in Pittsburgh and he was still in New York.  He never looked at another person after Marcus.” Brian stopped talking as he flipped through some of the pictures. “I just realized I really gave Marc a shitload of attitude after Dan died.  All he ever did was love him.  He never gave him any reason to doubt his love.  The only time they were separate because they disagreed was a short time with Danny and that was just because Dan was scared he didn’t know how to be a father.  He was the best.”

Adam held up a photo of Dan holding an award.  “What is this from?”

“Dan won a few awards but I think this is from the time he saved Justin from a crazy artist.  Justin would have been killed if it wasn’t for Dan but he felt he failed that mission because someone was killed.  He did everything he could and I think many more would have been killed if it wasn’t for him, including my Sunshine and who knows, maybe me too.”

Brian commented on a few more pictures and as they got farther through the stack Brian went quiet.  He picked up a picture of a small boy and showed it to Adam, “Is this you?”

“It is.  I don’t know if I have ever seen this.”

“If I had to guess he took this with a long distance lens.  He took trips a couple times a year,” Brian dug through the box and pulled out a few more pictures of Adam at different ages.  Adam wasn’t looking at the camera on any of them.  I think he was checking on his baby brother.”

“Damn.  I wish I would have known.” He held up a picture of him as a very young teen. “If I had known he cared I might have,” Adam turned away from Brian and put his head in his hands. He softly cried for a few moments. Brian pushed the box of tissues that was on the desk, closer to him. Adam took a couple tissues and then took a deep breath, blew his nose, and wiped his eyes. “Sorry, I just know I missed out on a great guy and I don’t blame him for not wanting to get involved when I tried to connect.”

Brian walked around the desk to Adam and put his arms around him.  “Well, you are here now and we will tell you as much about him as we can.”  Brian led him to the sofa that was against the wall and, putting his arm around Adam’s shoulders, he started  talking.


“Do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing that Brian and Adam are still in the office? I thought they would be out an hour ago.” Marcus asked Justin as they sat on the sofa sipping wine.

“In his younger days, this would be terrifying,” Justin laughed. “But whatever is going on in there I think is good for both of them. Brian hasn’t talked about his best friend nearly enough and you know you don’t push Brian into anything.”

“Justin, what do you really think of Adam? I am not just blind because he reminds me of Dan, am I? I see honesty and true remorse.”

“I agree.  I think he was a victim of his upbringing and he learned later in life what is really important.”  Justin took Marc’s hand and squeezed it.

“If I’m crazy, tell me but I am thinking about inviting him on a trip to New York City.  Dan’s office there has papers I need to sign. I have sold that office and want to go and collect the few personal items Dan has there.  I just think Adam would enjoy that and I would have someone with me to face it.”

“I think Adam would be perfect but if he can’t go, I know I would go with you and I bet Brian would, too.  If our cottage isn’t booked I would love to spend a few days there.” Both of the cottages were used for both visiting clients for Kinnetik and also as a hiding place for people that need to disappear due to threats in Dan’s business.

“Well, as soon as we pick dates we can just request they leave the secret garden for us.” Marcus looked in the direction of the office.

“You stay here, I’ll go check on them.” Justin got up and started walking.

“Justin, I just have to say I am so glad you went through with the surgery.  I haven’t seen you walk with such comfort for so long.”

Justin smiled at his friend and then continued toward the office.

Brian and Adam had been talking for two hours.  Brian remembered things he hadn’t thought of in thirty years. When they heard a soft knock on the door they both jumped. Justin walked in without waiting for a response.  

“Glad to see you are both alive.  We were starting to wonder.  You have been in here a long time.  We’ve finished off a bottle of wine already.”  

Brian stood and walked over to Justin.  He put his arms around him and kissed him. “We just started talking, I guess.” He gently kissed Justin.  “I love you.”

Justin smiled up at him.  “It must have been a good talk.” He could see  Brian was at peace, maybe more peace than he had since Dan’s death. “If you are done, Marcus and I have been talking, too.”

Brian kept one arm tightly around Justin’s waist.  “Why does that scare me a bit?”


Gus turned into Trenton, half laying on top of him. “I really want to know where you have been and what’s been going on but, why don’t we talk as we drive to your house.  My dads are going to want to come home sometime.  

“Yes,” Trenton dropped a kiss on Gus’ nose. “I missed you so much.”

“Oh, god, you don’t know how worried I was and how much I needed you. We can use the shower and then get out of here.” Gus got out of bed and Trenton watched his lean, naked body as he walked away.  He loved that he could see by his walk he was still feeling him. He got up and followed Gus into the bathroom.

A half hour later they were heading out the door.  They had stripped the bed and threw the sheets in the washer before they left. As they left the house, Nico was walking up.  

“Gus, well, I don’t have to ask.  This is Mr. Daniels!” Nico turned to Trenton, “I have read every book you have written.  I would love to talk to you sometime about your writing.  I am working on my Master’s thesis in literature.  Oh, I am so sorry.  You two were on your way out.”

“Pen, this is Nico.  He is working for my dads.”

“Nico, nice to meet you. Ask Brian or Justin for my number.  I would enjoy speaking to you.” 

“Oh, I know you are off this weekend but if you are around for a bit, could you throw the load in the dryer?”

“Sure, no problem, and thank you Mr. Daniels.”  

As they got in Gus’ car, he looked over at Trenton, “I am so impressed with your recovery.  I am sure Nico couldn’t even notice the ever so slight hesitancy in your speech.  I actually forgot for a minute that you couldn’t talk a couple months ago.” Gus stopped talking for a moment, and looking straight ahead his voice cracked as he asked, “Why did you disappear? Why didn’t you tell me you were going?”

Trenton reached for Gus’ hand but he wouldn’t let him take it. “Gus, I knew I couldn’t be a burden on you and Shelby any more.  I was straining your relationship and that wasn’t fair to either of you.”

“But you didn’t tell me….I just knew you were alive but I….”

“Your dads knew where I was.  By the third day Tyler had found me but they respected my need for privacy. I need to show you I am still a man.”

Gus’ heart softened a bit and he reached for Trent’s hand.  “I never doubted you were a man,” he said softly.

“I doubted. I couldn’t imagine you wanting to be saddled with an old, disabled man.  I know Shelby was over it.”

“You were not the reason Shelby had problems. Shelby had a lot of other things going on and she knows that now.  You were just what pushed her over the edge. Did she know where you were?”

“I don’t know.  I doubt it.”

“So do I. I don’t think she would have kept it from  me. I hope she wouldn’t have.”

Pen brought Gus’ hand to his mouth and kissed it. “I  need to warn you, I still have some mood issues but now I realize it. So if I ask for some space… it is so I won’t be rude.”

Gus pulled up to Trenton’s house and watched his face change.  He began tearing up.  As soon as the car stopped, he was out and walking to the door.  Gus gave him a little space and got Trent’s bags out of the back along with his overnight bag. When he got to the door, Trenton was already in the house and looking out to the backyard.  Gus set the bags down and walked up to him and slipped his arms around his waist.    He kissed Trenton under his ear.  “I love you, Pen.  I was going crazy not knowing where you were.”

“Do you think it is too chilly to go out on the deck?” he turned and pulled Gus close making his need known.

“I think we have plenty of blankets and we could start the outside heater.” Trent was already undoing Gus’ waistband. 

“Trent,” Trenton’s mouth was trailing down his neck. “Oh god, Pen, I need five minutes.  I need to let Shelby know I will be here…” Trent’s hand moved into Gus’ pants.  “Go start the heater, get out the blankets and get rid of that clothes.” He ground his pelvis against him. “Less than five minutes.”  Gus texted Shelby that Trent was home and was it alright if he stayed there overnight.

His phone rang immediately.  “Gus, how is he?  Where was he? How did he get home?”

“He is wonderful, Shel.  I haven’t gotten all the answers yet but Pops brought him home earlier today.  We just got to his place and he needs to get settled in.  We may need to go get him some groceries.  I will be home for dinner tomorrow.”

“Gus, don’t rush. Just let me know.  I will just stay and play with Gabriel until tomorrow. He is such a sweet baby.”

“Give him a kiss from his grandpa.  And, Shel, I love you. I know I haven’t been easy to live with the last couple weeks.”

“I love you, too, Gus.  I will see you tomorrow night.”


Brian and Justin left Adam and Marcus late in the afternoon.  They had planned out the trip to New York City.  The only thing they had to do is call the office on Monday and see when both cottages were available. “I know we didn’t plan on taking a trip to New York but when Marcus mentioned it, I just thought it would be fun to go.  I know you haven’t been to that office for a long time.”

“I don’t work there anymore.”

“No, you just own it and are President of the Board.” They pulled up to the house and walked to the door. “I guess we better go change the sheets before it is late.  I plan to use that bed tonight.” He ran his hand over Brian’s ass. 

“Yes, I would guess they might have stripped the bed but I wouldn’t expect them to stick around and remake it.”

As they walked into the kitchen they were surprised to find fresh flowers in a vase and the table was set for a romantic dinner.  “Brian, did you ask Nico to do this?”

“I  had nothing to do with this. I see a note.”  Brian walked over and read it.  “Dinner will be ready at 6:00.  There is salad and dessert in the refrigerator.  I didn’t work hard.  It is all food from George.  I will not be in tonight.  Nico”

“He is really a thoughtful young man.” Justin commented.  “You know, that gives us time to make the bed and maybe a little warm up.” Justin began to stroke Brian’s fly.  

“Are you trying to say it will take me that long to get it up?” Brian grabbed Justin’s ass.  “Just the thought of that firm ass still makes my cock twitch.”

“That’s big talk for an 80 year old man,” Justin laughed and took Brian’s hand.  “Show me what you got.  Together it won’t take us…” Justin stopped talking when he walked into the bedroom and saw the bed with fresh sheets and turned down with flower petals across the pillows.  The bedside lights were on a low setting and, although they weren’t sure what was causing it, but there was a soft fragrance throughout that was a mixture of bergamot and sandalwood. There was even soft music playing.

Brian pulled Justin tightly against him. Justin didn’t have to wonder if Brian was interested. “I don’t know what happened yesterday but let’s promise we will never fake a fight again.” Brian began to dance with him. “Let’s make sure we go dancing when we are in NewYork. I miss holding you in my arms like this and now that your leg is better I think we can find some place in Manhattan that I can hold you in my arms until I am too tired to stay on my feet.” They still swayed to the music.

They slowly undressed each other taking time to touch and taste the exposed skin.  They laid down and Brian positioned himself above Justin and Justin adjusted his leg so Brian could enter with them looking face to face. Neither of their bodies could stay in this position as long they could fifty years ago but as Brian slipped in the years slipped away. Brian moved closer and kissed him and continued to increase his speed.  

Justin’s arms wrapped around his neck.  “Brian, it’s like the first time.” As the words came out he cried out as pleasure ran through him and as Brian’s mouth melded with his Brian shivered and joined Justin in waves of gratification.  Brian collapsed on top of him and then rolled off. Justin did half a roll so he was pressed against Brian.

“It wasn’t quite like the first time but, damn, it was good.” Brian purred, kissing Justin’s temple.

“You know, I don’t think I ever had sex without thinking of the first time.”

“I’m not sure I ever had sex after that night that I didn’t think of you. From the first night you just knew me. You knew what I needed.”

“You hungry? I seem to have worked up an appetite.” Justin got out of bed and walked to the bathroom and by the time he came out, Brian was out of bed and had put on a robe. Justin kissed him as he walked past.  “I’ll go check on dinner.”

As they sat down to eat the amazing meal.  Justin had lit the candles and poured the wine. As they ate Justin looked over at Brian, “Can you tell me what you and Adam talked about today?”

“I realized some of Dan’s mystery trips, remember those?” Justin nodded.  “He was checking out Adam.  He was making sure Adam was alright.  There were pictures of him at all ages, all taken with a long range lens.   He was never far from Dan’s thoughts. After we realized that, I just started telling him stories.  We talked about how Andre broke his heart and he was so careful until he met Marcus. Adam just wanted to know anything about his big brother.  I can’t know why Dan didn’t bring him in to meet everyone but I am sure he would be glad to know Marcus is building a healthy relationship with him. Adam would be so proud of whe Adam is.”

“No wonder you talked so long and no wonder you agreed to the New York trip right away.”

“Sunshine, I’m not being morbid but, we are both healthy right now and we may not have a lot more opportunities to go with friends. I want to spend a night in our little cottage in the secret garden.   There are so many good memories there.”

Justin moved nearer and Brian met him halfway. After they kissed Justin said, “Let’s go to the hot tub.  I have to admit, I may have pulled some muscles I haven’t used in a long while.  He stood and picked up the bottle of wine and grabbed his own class.  “We can have dessert later, or tomorrow if we find something else to do later tonight.”

“Like sleep?” Brian laughed.

“Ya, that probably is about all I will have the energy for anything more but it will be together.  Last night Gus slept with me but, as much as I love our son, I wanted you there.” They slipped into the tub, leaving their robes on a chair.


“Didn’t I tell you they would be out there naked?”  Nico whispered to Kevin in the shadows on the other side of the fence.   

“Damn, they are really still in good shape. Do you think they will have sex?”

“They never just have sex.  They make love and I bet it is beautiful.” Nico moved a hand to Kevin’s ass.  “I don’t think they are going to do anything.  I could see they had already been in their bedroom so I am guessing they will just hang in the water for a while and then go to bed.”

“Going to bed sounds good to me,” Kevin responded.

“Your place or the barn?”

“My place. The bed is much more comfortable.”


Gus and Trenton spent most of the night on the porch.  They lay naked under a mound of blankets.  The heater was warming the air just enough that they were very comfortable in their cocoon. After they made love Trenton told Gus about the retreat and the services.  He told him about a time when he was about to give up and how Vicki had helped him talk through it. As he talked his speech started to slur more.  “I must be tired.”

“Oh, Pen, I have probably worn you out.” Gus snuggled just a little closer and kissed him.  “I’ll go  make some dinner and you rest for a bit. Anything you are hungry for?”

“Anything is fine.  I’ve gotten all I needed to make me happy today.” As Gus stood, Trenton reached for his hand, “Gus Kinney, I love you.”

“I love you too, Pen, and I am so glad you are home.” He grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around him, as he walked into the house.  Gus took his time.  He was sure Pen could use a nap. Hell, he could use a nap but they both could use some food and then, if they rested, he was sure he could go another round. His body was singing from the physical activity and the exhaustion was definitely worth it. 

Since he was sureTrenton was sleeping, he took his time and made some homemade soup that was in the freezer and baked some biscuits that he had filled with cheese.  He found thick slabs of ham in the freezer and browned them to layer in the biscuits. After he pulled the biscuits out of the oven he went to wake up Trenton.

“Pen, darling, dinner is ready.”

“Wow, how long have I been sleeping?”

“Probably 45 minutes. You needed it.  Come in and eat.” Gus offered his hand and Trenton pulled him in for a kiss and then he stood up and leaned on Gus.  

“I’m sorry, I’m such an old man.  I just don’t have the energy I used to.”

“Shit, Pen, I don’t have the energy I had twenty years ago.  I love your body but spending time with you means so much more.  I hope you know that.” Gus placed his arm around Trenton’s waist and they entered the house.


The weekend flew by and when Monday came around everyone felt refreshed and were ready for the week.  Brian had called the New York office on Monday and, with no hesitation,  they said the secret garden would be free on Friday and no one was scheduled to be there for the next three weeks. He immediately called John, “Hey John.”

“Uncle Brian, how are you? It’s been a couple weeks.  I hope all is well?”

“How would you and Tony like to spend a couple weeks in New York City?”

“New York? What’s going on there?”

“Marcus, Adam, Justin and I are going to spend time there.  I just thought the two of you might enjoy some time in the city.  If you don’t want to stay there you can just fly us there and back.”

“When would you like to go?”

“Friday, but I am sure we could get tickets or talk to one of the other pilots.”

“I need to talk to Antonio but I don’t think he has plans.  I would love to get away.”

“Why don’t the two of you go on to Ibiza for 10 days.  Then you can pick us up on the way home.”

“Oh, Uncle Brian!  That sounds perfect.”

“John, is everything alright?”

“Of course it is.  We just get so focused with the grandkids and the boards he is on… I just feel like we haven’t lived for us in a while.  I love the place in Ibiza and it has been so long since we went there.”

“Well, give me a call after talking to Tony.  You could stop and see Jonna in Milan.”

“Oh, Brian, I will call you after talking to Tony but I am sure we can make it work.”


On Friday morning the six men met at the airport.  Adam had rushed back to Seattle to get his office in order and met them at the airport.  He was stunned by the plane owned by Kinnetik.  It was very lush and John had even hired someone to work the cabin. There was a full breakfast waiting for them to eat once they were in the air and after serving the cockpit, the passengers in the cabin were served.   The mimosas flowed freely.

“You know, I know on paper you have a lot of money but when I have been with you, you never give off that vibe and until I saw this plane I almost forgot.”

“Well, Marcus owns half of the plane.” Brian commented

“But we figured out it works better when we use our halves together.” Justin said as he leaned against Marcus and laughed.

“No more mimosas for you,” Brian said with the corner of his mouth coming up.

“Brian, did you say they have put in a new spa?” Marcus asked as he pushed Justin over toward Brian.

“Yes, I haven’t seen it yet but I have heard it is very nice.  We decided the guests that stayed there deserved the best,” Brian had trouble finishing the sentence because Justin was now kissing his neck.  

Adam glanced at Marcus and saw the longing in his eyes.  “I know I am not my brother,” he slipped his arm around Marcus’ shoulder and pulled him close, “But I have a couple shoulders that are waterproof.” 

Marcus wrapped his arms around Adam’s neck and whispered, “Thank you.  I’m fine but a hug is always welcome.”

The remainder of the flight the four men enjoyed each other’s company.  Brian joined John for a bit and Tony came back and chatted with Adam.  And before they knew it John got on the loudspeaker and asked them all to buckle up for the landing.

John and Tony went their own way once they got out of the plane.  They were flying out on a commercial flight in the morning for Milan.  Then they were flying to Ibiza with Jonna and her partner.  They would return in two week and fly them back to the vineyard. Brian watched them walk away. Justin  wrapped his arms around his waist.  “They have come a long way, haven’t they?” He kissed Brian’s jawline and let his hand run down his back and rest on his ass.

“You are still tipsy.”

“You never used to complain if I wanted sex.  And I mean anywhere.”

“Oh, trust me, Sunshine, I am not complaining.  I don’t think there is a square inch of the garden we didn’t have sex in. There was a time I wasn’t sure John and Tony would make it.  Tony fooled around a lot when he was young but I never doubted he loved John.  He is just his character but I think after John gave him an ultimatum several years ago, he straightened up.”

“It didn’t hurt that you put him in the main office where he wasn’t around all the young men in intimate, small rooms like you have in a hotel.”

Adam and Marcus had walked ahead and were now standing at the curb. “Did we have a car coming or do we need to get a taxi?” Marcus asked.

“I think I see our ride pulling up,” Brian said as a stretch limo pulled up. 

When the car had stopped a young woman popped out of the front door, “Uncle Justin!” and ran into his arms. 

“Dahlia, what are you doing here?”

“Brian ordered a limo from my husband’s company so I decided to ride along.”

“Oh, I planned to call your mom tomorrow so we could get together.  How is she?”

“Ask her yourself.” Dahlia stepped to the side and her husband was offering his hand to Daphne.  Justin nearly knocked Dahlia off her feet as he rushed to his oldest friend.

“Justin, you are as gorgeous as ever!” Daphne pulled him close.  She was an attractive woman whose hair now was streaked with silver. “And how come you don’t look any older?”  Justin didn’t say anything, but held her close. 

Adam looked at Marcus, “I haven’t met her but she is Justin’s childhood friend.  They lived together when they finished college and moved here.”

“Daph, how is one of my favorite women?”  He looped an arm around Daphne’s waist. 

“I can tell you haven’t lost your charm.” She kissed his cheek. “Justin is still one lucky guy.”

Brian laughed but then looked down at her, “You know I’m the lucky one.”

“We better get in the car or we are going to get  in trouble for sitting here too long.  You can make introductions once we are on the road.”

Daphne and the men got in the back of the limo and as they drove into the city.  Justin introduced Marcus and Adam to Daphne and they chatted all the way to the garden.  They planned dinner for tomorrow evening and the men got out of the car.   Their luggage was set by a building and Daphne and her family drove away.

Adam looked around, not even noticing the gate tucked between two buildings.  “Am I missing something? Why did they drop us here?”  He had expected an upscale neighborhood but they were in a well kept middle class neighborhood that didn’t have any place that looked like it was owned by a multi-millionaire.

Marcus linked his arm with Adam, “I felt the same way the first time Dan brought me here.”

Brian pulled out his phone and grabbed the handle of his suitcase, moving toward the space between the buildings. Justin followed with Adam behind him. Marcus came along behind.  Brian held his phone up to a reader at the gate and it swung open.  “You all have the code I sent, right?” They all nodded.

“Damn, I forgot how chilly New York could get this time of year.” Justin said as they walked through the gate and immediately the wind was gone and they were in their own little world. Once they got past the small ally and the garden lay in front of them. Brian pulled Justin to him and kissed him.  Their mouths lingered as their tongues did a playful dance. 

Marcus came up beside Adam, “Let’s go to our cottage.  They could be there a long time.”

“This place is,” he took a few steps and looked around, “It is a secret garden.  I would have never known it was here. Obviously, I didn’t know it was here.”

“This is ours for the next two weeks.  Well, I guess it’s always mine but it is where we will be staying.  This is where Dan lived when Brian and Justin met him.  Brian and Justin had just reconciled and fate brought them here.  Brian was quite successful already in Pittsburgh but was trying to launch his office here.  The lock on the cottage opened when Marcus held his phone screen up to it.  They walked in the small house that had been well maintained.  “You can take the loft.  Make yourself at home. Unpack if you like and if you want to just live out of your suitcase there should be a luggage rack up there.” Marcus looked around, “I can almost feel Dan here. I know he loved our place in  California but think in some ways this was his favorite place.”

“This was where he could hide from the harsh world out there,” Adam stated.  “His family probably was a big part of that harshness.” Adam just stood there and absorbed his surroundings. “Thank you for bringing me here, Marcus.”

“Well, Adam, I never had a sibling so I hope you don’t mind if I think of you as my brother.”

Adam opened his mouth and couldn’t say anything.  He just hugged him.  As he moved to the small staircase he said, “I can’t think of anyone I would rather have in my family.


Brian and Justin finally stopped kissing but they stayed in each other’s arms.  “I’m getting cold.  I’m glad I brought along some warm clothing.  Let’s get in and start the fireplace.”

“If you’re getting cold, I’ve definitely lost my touch. We’ll go in and I will work on my technique.”

“Oh, yes, I am willing to help you practice all day. I hope they haven’t taken out the sofa that was always there.” Justin said as they walked hand in hand, pulling their bags.

“I know they replaced the furniture but I also know I approved the purchase and I ordered the plushist couch that would fit in that spot.  It is actually very similar to what was there when we lived there so many years ago.” Justin opened the door  and entered.  It had been remodeled and updated but it still had the feeling it did when they really started their life together. 

“Shall we bring the bags up and…” Justin looked at the steps.

“We have plenty of time.  I think we should continue where we left off.” He led Justin to the sofa and together they collapsed onto the soft cushions.  They started the fireplace and put on some soft music and stretched out together in a familiar cocoon. They faced each other and they strolled down memory lane as they stole kisses and touches and eventually they fell asleep.


When Justin didn’t answer his phone Marcus and Adam decided they would order dinner to be delivered.  Marcus had a feeling by now they were in each other's arms somewhere and they would be ready to eat soon.  “I could use a little exercise.  I think I’ll go explore this magic space.  I’ll stop by their place before I come back here and tell them to come over around 7:00.”

“That would be great, Adam.” If you go out of the garden you will need your phone.  There is a gate to the back too, in case you venture out.”

“I am sure I will stay in the garden.  There are plenty of nooks and crannies for me to explore.”


Brian stretched and then pulled Justin closer.  This sofa was amazing. It was wide enough for them both to lay on it and because it actually curved a bit it would take his full height.  “Hey, Sunshine.  We are going to want to start thinking about dinner.  I don’t know about you but I am hungry. Loving you is a lot of work!” he laughed and kissed him.  

“Well, since we haven’t actually had sex yet, you better eat up to have enought strength.” Justin pressed against him and both of them felt the need grow.  “You know when we were younger we didn’t realize how much waiting could increase the pleasure.  I mean, I know we had times we abstained but there was a reason behind those.  Now we both enjoy the time together as much if not more as the time we spend inside each other.”

“It’s called love and longing.” Brian started a slow exploration with his mouth and hands.


Adam started walking the perimeter of the garden.  There were little seats and features everytime he moved on.  When he moved to the back of the garden, following a stone path he found and spa.  It was the kind that could be used as a lap pool, too, and after feeling the water he was sure he would get in there most days while they were here. The air was chilly but the water temperature was perfect.  Nearby there was a sitting area with a fire pit.  This place truly was special.  He could picture his brother here.  If only he had realized back 30 years ago that what his father had taught him was so far off.  He knew it but he wasn’t strong enough to go against his dad and once his dad was gone, he had created a life of his own with his wife and children.  If only he had known…  Adam realized how long he had been standing there.  He wiped away the tears that had slipped down his cheeks and walked toward the second cottage in the garden.  

Walking up to the French doors, Adam could see Brian and Justin kissing on the sofa.  He knocked loud enough to get their attention but not to scare them. Justin looked over his shoulder and kissed Brian once more before getting up and walking to the door. “Hey, Adam, come in.”

“Sorry, looks like I interrupted something.”

“Nothing we planned to finish now,” Brian said from where he lay.

“Marcus has ordered dinner and it will be here around 7:00.” He looked around this small house.  It had a warm and inviting feeling just like Dan’s.  “This has to be a welcoming place for those that stay here.  If someone had to disappear for a time, I can’t imagine a more welcoming place than this garden.”

“Yes, it has good memories for us but I am sure it does for many people.  I think everyone can rest here,” Justin commented.

“Well, I’ll let Marc know you are coming at 7:00.  I’ll see you in about half an hour.”


At 8:00 they sat around the small table in the cottage.  Marc had ordered Italian from a favorite place in the neighborhood and they all shared the choices he had made.  He had ordered cannolis for dessert  and they moved to the sofa to eat their dessert along with a glass of wine. 

“This is some of the best food I have ever tasted,” Adam commented as he took a bite of the dessert.

“I had forgotten how good it was.” Brian pulled Justin closer.  “It’s weird being here without Dan.”

“I don’t think we are here without Dan.  I have felt him with me since I walked through the gate.” Marcus commented.  “I don’t want you to think I’m losing it but as I emptied my suitcase I swore I smelled his cologne and then felt his arm slip around my waist but then it was gone.”

Justin got up and walked over and hugged Marcus. “Dan is here.  He will always be with you but this was his sanctuary.  He will always feel close here.” Justin looked over at Brian and then Adam, “I think I could use a dip in that hot tub.  It is so nice compared to that above ground circle that used to be here.”

“I was thinking about going in.” Adam said, “It looked very inviting when I walked past it.”

“Adam, will you feel uncomfortable if we go without trunks? We have some with us but we rarely use them.”

“You do what you normally would do.  It’s not like I haven’t seen naked men at the gym before.”

Brian and Justin went to their place and undressed, but as Justin started to slip on a robe, Brian pulled him into his arms.  “Maybe we should skip the tub. I’m not sure I want to share you right now.” He bent his head so his lips met Justin’s. “I’m not in the least bit tired if you get my drift.”

“Oh, I love it when you drift. Let me text…” Justin took half a step away but Brian pulled him back.  

“They are two intelligent men.  They will figure it out.” His fingers traveled between Justin’s cheeks and he began to gently press at the bud he had entered so many times.

“Oh, ya, you are definitely right.  They will figure it out.”

Marcus and Adam had made their way out to the hot tub and waited. They chatted as they waited. “I thought they would have made it out already,” Adam commented.

“I don’t think they will be joining us.” Marcus pointed to the upstairs window and the silhouette of the two men was visible.

“Was it ever a problem fitting in with the three of them? They were obviously close before you came into the picture.”

“I fell so hard and fast for Dan, I would have done anything to make it work but Justin was warm and inviting from day one.  Brian gave me some shit but that is just because he was protective of Dan. If I’m honest Brian freaked me out until, well,” he hesitated, “Well, let’s just say it was a long time before Brian didn’t scare me.”

“He is formidable now.  I am sure when he was younger he could have been down right scary when he wanted to be.”

“Yes, and trust me, he wanted to be. He was just protective of Dan.  Dan protected everyone else so Brian, and Justin, protected him.”

“And you and Justin?”

“Justin and I have always been close. He is the only other man I have made love with.”

“I can’t imagine my wife would have ever been comfortable being friends with someone she knew I made love with.  I mean she met an old girlfriend once and …” Adam choked up a bit.  “It has been almost five years and I still miss her every day.”

“Maybe it is time to find someone new to share your life with.”

“I think I needed to find peace in the rest of my life before I was ready to move on.  I know it is far too fresh for you to be thinking about it but do you think someday you’ll look for someone?”

“I honestly don’t know. Years ago Justin and I said we would just grow old together.  I guess we’ll see.”


Brian explored Justin’s body as he laid on his stomach.  “Aren’t you tired of looking at the same back and ass?” 

Brian’s mouth moved down further and soon Justin felt his lips on his cheeks and then the tongue trailing between them and Justin arched as Brian’s tongue began to explore and when he couldn’t wait anymore he prompted Justin to roll over and Brian moved in from behind.  He slowly moved building the tension and then they both crested and gently slid down in pleasure.

“Brian,” Justin said as Brian moved closer, still inside of him. “Who would have thought we would be here again forty some years later?”

“Sunshine, after we moved back to Pittsburgh I knew this place would always have special memories.  At one point Dan talked about selling but I knew I would buy him out before I would have him sell it.  Later on he thanked me for talking him out of it.  He did have bad memories of Andre here but he realized this was his safe place.”

“As long as you were near every place was a safe place.  You knew Dan needed someone to watch out for him because he was always watching out for everyone else. You were such a good friend. You are a very good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Well, that is only because I had a very good man supporting me. Brian slowly moved out of him and Justin turned to face him. “Marcus is so much stronger than I am.  If I lost you now, I don’t think I would want to live on.  You are my strength.  You have helped me live so many times.”

“Sunshine, you don’t even know how strong you are but we definitely are better together than apart.”

Justin kissed him.  “Face it, we were made to be together.  Neither of us would be who we are without  the other.”

“Thank god.  I can only imagine where I would be without you.” Brian’s voice was drifting off.  

“Good night, Brian. We can use the spa tomorrow.  We can walk down memory lane. And we can have dinner with Daph.”

“And we will fall asleep in each other’s arms, tonight, tomorrow night, and the rest of our lives.  I love you, Sunshine.”

“I love you, too, Bri.”

 

They kissed and closed there eyes as peace and contentment  washed over both of them.