- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This concludes Can't Do Life Without You.  Thanks to all the readers who hung in there through all my babbling.  I have loved this family but it is time to conclude. Brian and Justin will live happily ever after.

I will be posting an Epilogue that will be for those who, like me, need the final chapter of their lives.  It is not included in this chapter.

Chapter 16


Brian and Justin unpacked their suitcases and Nico appeared out of nowhere.  “Let me take that dirty clothes.  I’ll wash it and have it back in your closet tomorrow. If you don’t mind saying it, you two look more in love than ever before and I didn’t think that was possible.”

Justin slipped his arms around Brian’s waist, “That’s because I have the most wonderful, romantic husband in the world.”

Brian kissed Justin’s temple and softly said, “It’s not hard when you have a perfect husband.”

“Oh, seriously, Dad? What a bunch of horse shit!”  Brinn walked in with a big grin on her face. “Sorry, Daddy, you are a perfect husband for Dad.” She strode in and kissed both of her dads. “I am so glad to see both of you.  And you are right, Nico, they look great.”

“Nice to see you, Miss Brinn.  I will get this clothes in the washer.”  As Nico walked past Brinn, she kissed him on the cheek and he continued on his way.

“He is really a great guy and he really took great care of the house while you were gone.”

“Yes, I think we are very lucky to have him.  I will hate to see him leave this spring.” Justin put an arm around his daughter’s waist.

“I agree,” Brian commented. “Maybe we should hire someone for the summer and in the fall maybe we could get a couple more students. You are enjoying Kevin being with you and I think for another grad student like Nico, our place is a great place to work.”

“I hope they haven’t ruined us for the next two.  These two are great and I love having the young energy here.” Justin replied and turned to Brinn.  “How are the boys and Juss?”

“I miss my girl.  I am so glad she will be home next weekend.  She called to tell me she was going to be finishing school this spring.  How did you ever do it when I finished college so young.  She is only a couple years ahead of her classmates and I was way out of my age range.”

“Well, you were always a handful.  You have done a great job with Juss.  You kept her feet on the ground and her head where it needed to be.”

“I learned from the best parents.” Brinn kissed Justin and then walked over to Brian and kissed him.  “I am going to leave you.  You are going to have some jet lag hitting you tonight and I have to get dinner for my men.  Jed will be so excited that Marcus is back.  He has missed him. Marcus has become his rock.”

“Well, Marcus missed him too.  He considers him one of the family.”

“That’s good because his biological family is a mess.”

“And Brennon and Jed…”

“Yes, but I think the glow of first love is coming to an end.  I think they will always be good friends but they are both mature enough to know they will move on. And speaking of moving on… I will talk to you soon.  Thanksgiving is here, right?”

“Yes, Nico will be here so I will have help cooking. It will be the 5 of you and 9 from Gus’ family counting Gabe and of course the two of us and Nico.”

“Nine? Oh, you invited Trenton.”

“Yes, of course.  He is part of Gus’ family.  We will eat around 1:00 and I think Marcus’ and his family will be coming up about 7:30 for finger food and wine.”

“That sounds perfect.  I am sure Marcus will have a rough time,” Brinn commented.

“He will but he has come a long way and Adam has been really good for him.” Brian commented.  “They have been good for each other.” Brian yawned as he finished the sentence.

“I’m out of here.  You two relax, take a nap.  Love you both.” And Brinn breezed out.

They both stood looking at the empty doorway, “It’s good to be home, isn’t it?” Justin laughed.

“It is good to be home.” Brian said as he kissed Justin.  “Sunshine, I think I could use a dip in the hot tub.  My muscles could use a soak and we can plan our holiday.”


Marcus and Adam arrived home and he was so surprised at the greeting Jed gave him.  He greeted them at the door and hugged Marcus.  Marcus wrapped his arms tightly around the young man.  “I’m so glad you are home.” Jed said as he stepped away.

“I enjoyed my time away but I missed you and it is so good to be home.” Marcus kissed his cheek.  “I am sure you had a nice time and Danny and Elliott’s.”

“Oh, I did.  I didn’t mean to insult them or anything.  I just ….”

“I know, son. I was hoping to have an early dinner and then I think you and I can have a movie night.”

“Don’t count on me, Adam said as he grabbed his suitcase.  “I have work to do tonight.  I will probably just grab a sandwich.”

“No, Adam you need more than that.  We have one of George’s amazing pizzas in the freezer.  I will bring you some when we are ready for dinner,” Jed  said to Adam.

“That would be wonderful, Jed. Thank you.”

True to his word, Jed brought three pieces of pizza and a soda to Adam before he and Marcus took the pizza into the family room where they sat on the sofa and started a movie as they ate the pizza. Once they had eaten, the movie was forgotten and they talked. Jed told Marcus that he and Brennon were backing off a bit.  They both had someone else they were looking at and they agreed they would move on as friends but not lovers.

“Oh, Jed, I think that is very wise.  You are still young.” Marcus wrapped his arms around Jed and Jed laid his head down on Marcus’ shoulder.  “I am so glad you are here with me, Jed.  When Adam leaves after Thanksgiving, I am going to lean on you.”

“I think we will lean on each other,” Jed said softly.

“You know, you are exactly right.”  With that they quieted down and watched the movie again.


“Why am I so excited? You would think it was our first Thanksgiving.”

“Well, it is our first Thanksgiving in a couple years.” Brian said, lying next to Justin.  “What time did you finally get in bed?”

“It was after 1:00 a.m.  Nico and I wanted to get the pies done.”

“I thought we hired him so you didn’t have to …”

“Kinney, don’t go there.  Without him I would probably still be in the kitchen baking.”

Brian growled low in his throat as Justin rolled over and slid his hand down Brian’s body.  “Ok, I guess I’m….” Justin followed the path of his hand with his mouth.  “Damn, you get better with age.”  Justin focused on his task and soon Brian arched off the mattress as Justin coaxed every drop out.”

“My favorite breakfast.  I think there were several years that this was my most common breakfast.  Maybe eating a regular breakfast is what caused me to pick up these extra pounds over the years.”

Brian pulled him up and kissed him.  “You have barely gained a pound.”

“Stop lying, Brian Kinney.”

“Well, I love every ounce.  Tell me we have 10 more minutes to just lay here.”

Justin kissed him, slipping his tongue between Brian’s lips.  When they separated, Justin said, “I have more than 20.”  And with that Brian rolled him onto his back and captured his lips again. 

Thirty minutes later there was a knock on the door and Nico’s voice said, “Justin, you told me to wake you.”

“I’ll be there in 10 minutes,” Justin said as he pulled away slightly from Brian’s lips.  “Stay here.  I am going to jump in the shower.”

“I’ll join you.” Brian started getting up.

“No, I need to keep moving and the mood you’re in, I’d never get to the kitchen.”


Ten minutes later, Justin walked into the kitchen in jeans and a T-shirt, hair still wet.  Nico looked up from peeling potatoes.  “I could have taken care of….”

“No, it is my family’s dinner and I am thrilled to have your help but I need to be here. I feel better today than I have in a few years.  I am able to stay on my feet longer.”

“From the flush of your skin I would say you’ve had a pleasant morning so far.”

Justin kissed Nico’s cheek.  “It has been a very enjoyable morning.  Have you heard from Kevin?”

“Yes, he is having a good time with his brother. His parents are still being unreasonable but at least he has his brother.”  Justin heard a bit of sadness in Nico’s normally cheery voice.

“In a month you will get to see your parents.  I am sure it isn’t easy being so far from them.  I am looking forward to that but I ache for Kev.  He is such a wonderful man and his parents just won’t …”

“Brian and I have both had experience with unreasonable parents.  I had a wonderful mother but my dad, not so much, and Brian’s parents, well they were a nightmare. For years he would get a distant look and I would know he was thinking about Jack and Joan.  But with friends like you, and his brother, Kevin will be fine.”

Justin was focused on getting the turkey ready for the oven when arms came around his waist.  “You know those hands you are sticking up that turkey’s ass are very talented.”

“Brian, we have never gotten into fisting.”

Nico laughed loudly, “One more question answered. I’ll get the wine,” he said as he rushed out of the room, still laughing.

“Want to bet he is texting Kevin right now?” Brian chuckled as he kissed the curve of Justin’s neck.  “Is there anything I can do to help?”

“You can get out of the kitchen and stop distracting me.” Justin turned and kissed him with his sticky hands in the air.  “I need to get this in the oven and then I will be free for maybe an hour. Why don’t you go and call the kids and make sure they will be here by  1:00 and everyone else is coming around 6:30.”

“You aren’t going to work all day,” Brian said sternly.

“Don’t worry, Brian,” Nico said as he walked in with a case of wine.  “I already told him that once the family is here he is not allowed in the kitchen.  I have all the instructions for the evening party and Gorgeous George is sending one of his students to help out.”

“See, Brian, I am going to enjoy today as soon as I get this in the oven.” Justin kissed Brian once more and turned back to the turkey.  “I’ll meet you in the hot tub in about 10 minutes.” 

“Hurry up,” Brian commented as he ran his hand over Justin’s shapely backside.

Minutes later Justin heard the door and looked over his shoulder not knowing who to expect. “Zander, you are a little early for dinner.” Following right behind him was Brennon. “Both of you.  What’s going on? You running away from home?”

“Well, sort of.  Mom and Dad were having sex and they were being really loud so we decided to come over here,” Brennon blurted and Zander smacked him. “What? He knows they have sex or we woudn’t be here. Well, I guess I could probably be here but you wouldn’t.”

“Well, whatever the reason, I am glad you’re here.”

“Grandpa, do you have anything I can eat?” Zander opened the refrigerator.

“Where is Gramps?” Brennon asked.

“Give me a second, Zander, and Bren, Brian is in the hot tub.”

“Ok, thanks.” Brennon kissed Justin’s cheek and went toward the back of the house.

Justin washed his hands and kissed Zander’s cheek and then pulled a couple things out of the fridge for Zander to munch on. “So what’s going on with you, Zan? How many girls are you balancing right now?”

“Well, I kind of have one and I kind of really like her.”

“Oh?” Justin didn’t want to sound too surprised.

“I know I was hopping around a lot but you know what?”

“What?” Justin guided him to a stool and sat down by him.

“I realized that, of course I was enjoying myself, I kind of felt, I don’t know, empty.” 

Justin hugged his grandson, “What you realized is that you want your heart to be involved as well as your body.”

“Ya, I watched and saw Jed and Bren really caring about each other, not just the sex.”

“Do you know why Bren wanted to see Brian?”

“Well, honestly we talked about who would talk to who and I won and got to talk to you.” He winked at Justin.  “Just kidding.  We didn’t fight over who got to talk to who.  But I think we are talking about opposite ends.   I think Bren wants to play the field for a while.  He and Jed are still really close but they want to date other people.”

“You are both growing up and you are both very different individuals.  And I love you both more than you can imagine.”

“I love you, too, Grandpa. My friends can’t believe I want to talk to my grandpas about stuff like this.  I really should come over more often.”

“You are always welcome, you know, and just because we don’t understand women doesn’t mean we won’t listen.” Zander hugged Justin tightly.


“Hey, Gramps,” Brennon was taking his clothes off as he walked to the hot tub and quickly slipped into the water with Brian. Brian put an arm out and Brennon sat next to him and accepted his hug and then dropped his head on Brian’s shoulder, sighing loudly.

“What’s the matter, Bren?”

“Is life always so tough?”

Brian had to smile.  When he was Brennon’s age he thought money would solve  all his problems.  His grandson was showing him money didn’t make being a teenager easier. “Oh, Brennon, life may have its moments but it is worth it in the end.  What to tell your Gramps what has you in this mood?”

“Oh, Jed and I, well we are still best friends but we both decided we need some space and we are too young to be serious.  Is that the right thing to do? I mean should I play the field for a bit? You did, right?”

“Well, yes, but I wouldn’t recommend that.” Brennon looked panicked for a second. “No, I don’t mean it that way.  You should experience life.  I just meant I was always safe when it came to condoms but I was pretty stupid when it came to my heart.”

“But, you had to find love.  You didn’t have any in your family.  I know I am loved like crazy.  I will always have that.”

“You are right. You will always have support and love but that doesn’t mean your heart can’t be hurt. Just remember there are things that come back stronger after they are broke.  When your heart hurts it fights its way back and is stronger for the next love.  Every time your grandpa and I had a fight or separated for a bit, my heart felt like it was going to fall apart but instead when we came back together we were that much stronger. Just know if your heart is a bit sad we are always here for you and so are your mom and dad.”

“And your brother!” Out of nowhere Zander jumped into the hot tub with a pair of Brian’s trunks on. “Hey, Gramps!”

“Hey, Zander.” Brian smiled at his grandson.  “Where’s your grandpa? He’s not still in the kitchen, is he?”

“No, he’s not!” Justin said as he walked down the steps into the spa.  He pushed his way between Brennon and Brian and put an arm around each of them.  He kissed each of them on the cheek.

“Oh, no, that is not going to cut it.” Brian pulled Justin back and this time the kiss was long and intense.

“Oh, shit, first Mom and Dad and now the Grandpas Plural.” Brennon moved over to sit next to his brother. Zander put his arm around his brother and Brennon put his head on his brother’s shoulder.  “We really are lucky to have such a great family. I guess we have a lot to be thankful for.”

“Ya, we do, bro.”

“Sorry, boys.” Justin said as he squirmed a little distance from Brian but still held his hand and within seconds Brian again had his arms around him and Justin snuggled up to him.  

“So, you two really used to break up sometimes?” Brennon looked over at his grandfathers.  “I have heard people talk about it but I can’t imagine you two with anyone else or without each other.”

“Some of us are slow learners but when we finally figured it out we figured it out and even when we were angry with each other, we always loved each other.  We always knew who we belonged to.” Justin kissed Brian lightly and then dropped his head on Brian’s shoulder.

“What Justin is trying to say so sweetly is that I finally had to learn to love myself so I could love him the way he deserved to be loved.”

“Brian, you know damn well we both made all kinds of mistakes and when we finally grew up we grew strong.”

The four talked for about another half hour before Justin looked at Brian, “Well, I don’t know about the three of you but I have been up for a long time and I need to baste the turkey and then hopefully, relax for a little while longer.”

“I will join you for the relaxing part,” Brian kissed him again.  They both stood and walked out of the tub.  As they entered the house they heard the boys yell and then a splash as they jumped into the pool which was only about 60° and then immediately ran back to the hot tub.

Justin led Brian into the bedroom, “I thought you needed to check the turkey.”

“Nope, Nico is in charge of it.  I just wanted to lay next to you for a few minutes.”

“Oh, I can definitely do that for you.  In fact,” he looked down at his growing erection, “If you are interested…”  Justin pushed him back onto the bed and climbed on top, straddling him.  “Are you sure your leg is up to this position?”

“If I can’t, you can flip me over.” With that Justin lowered himself onto Brian’s erection.  Brian came up to meet him and soon they were both in the rhythm and together they arched and shouted at the same time.

Brennon looked at Zander, “No wonder we are so obsessed with sex.  Look at the family we come from. Let’s get dried off and go watch a movie or play something.”

“Ya, sounds good.” As Brennon walked out of the tub Zander commented, “I really wish you would have worn trunks.  I don’t need to see that.”


Justin was in the kitchen by 12:30 to help with the last minute preparations and the twins jumped in and helped along with Brian, who started uncorking bottles of wine. Soon the house was full of family.  Brinn and Zach arrived first.   “So did you two have a nice morning ‘sleeping in’?” Brian asked his daughter when he gave her a kiss.

“We definitely did,” she smiled at Brian and turned and kissed Zach.  Zach still blushed when they talked about sex, and walked off to help his sons move chairs.  “From the glow in your cheeks I would say you two have been in bed recently, too.”

Before they could respond the door opened.  Shelby and Tallia walked in and everyone greeted each other. “Hey, Shelby, Tallia you are looking beautiful as ever.” Brinn walked over and hugged her niece and then hugged Shelby.  “Where’s my brother?”

“He’s right behind us.  Trenton was pulling up so they will be in soon.” 

“Where is Juss?” Tally asked.

“She decided to walk over so she will be here in a couple minutes.”  Tally went over to talk to the boys as Brinn led Shelby a few feet away.

“How is Trenton doing? Has he totally recovered?”

“He is doing well.  He comes for dinner once or twice a week.  The only time it is noticeable is if he gets too tired. He has really come back well.”


Gus stood on the veranda when Justice walked up.  “Hey Uncle Gus, is that Mr. Daniels coming up the drive?” Justin hugged Gus.  

“It is. How are you doing, Juss?”

“I’m great!  I am almost done with my classes and will be starting grad school after the first of the year.  Is Tally inside with everyone else?”  Gus nodded.  “I’ll let you alone with Mr. Daniels.”  She slipped inside as Trenton walked up.  

Gus stepped toward him and brought his mouth to Trenton’s.  After the kiss ended, Gus’ mouth moved to his ear, “Glad you came.”

“I can’t believe your family wants me here..not for the family dinner.”

“Pen, by now you should know you are family.” As they kissed again, a car pulled up.  Gus glanced up and saw Taylor and Ian get out of the car.  “Excuse me, Pen, but there is a little boy I want you to meet.”  Gus walked over and hugged his eldest daughter and then reached into the car and came out with the smiling little boy. “Hey, Gabriel,” he kissed his grandson.  “I have a special friend I’d like you to meet. Hey, Ian, everyone else is inside.  We’ll be right in.” Gus buried his face in the little boy’s neck and he giggled as they walked toward Pen while Taylor and Ian walked into the house.

Almost in unison everyone in the house said, “Where is Gabe?”

“I told you we could just as well stay home.  No one would notice us,” Ian joked as he hugged his mother in law.

Gus and Trenton walked in with Gabe followed by Gage and his girlfriend. Everyone had met Tawny before and all of them greeted her with open arms as well as cooed over Gabe. 

Brian started pouring wine into multiple glasses and let people each pick whatever they wanted to start with.  There was non-alcoholic wine for the twins and Gus and Trenton also picked up a glass of that. 

Trenton softly said to Gus, “You don’t have to drink that.”

Gus gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.  “No one said I had to.”  

Justin walked up to Trenton and reached for a glass of wine near him.  “I’m glad you could make it.” He rested his hand on the middle of Trenton’s back in a friendly gesture.

“I appreciate  your invitation.  I haven’t been part of a family get together in a long time.”

“You are welcome here any time, Trenton.”

“Thank you, Justin.  I appreciate that.  Most families wouldn’t be as open.”

“Well, Daniels, by now you know we aren’t an ordinary family.” Brian walked up and grabbed a glass of wine and pulled Justin up close to him.  “I think we are ready to sit and enjoy our meal.” He bent and kissed Justin sweetly before guiding  him toward his seat. He pulled out Justin’s chair and after Justin was seated, Brian walked to the other end of the table and sat down.

Soon everyone had taken their seats.  Justin clinked his glass until everyone quieted down.  “Let me guess, Grandpa, we are going to say what we are thankful for.”  Brennon, who sat next to Justin, said.

“Well, no one has to.” Brennon kissed Justin.  

“I know I am thankful for my family,” Brennon commented.  “I love all the love around this table.”

“Thanks for starting, Brennon. Anyone else like to talk?”

Taylor talked about how thankful she was for her little boy and her husband.  Justice commented how thankful she was that she had finished her undergrad work. Next Gage spoke, “I’m thankful for this beautiful woman and the baby we will have by next Thanksgiving.”

A cheer went up with lots of hugs and kisses before everyone got back to their seats.  Gus spoke next, ”I have so much to be thankful for including a new grandchild on the way but,” he turned to Shelby, “I would never be the man I am if you hadn’t been there for me. You accept me for who I am and you know what I need. And you are willing to let me be me.” With that he turned toward Trenton on his other side and smiled. And then Pen stood up.

“I am not comfortable doing this but I want all of you, especially Shelby, for the graciousness you have all shown me. I didn’t know if I would ever be able to walk or talk again and today, because of this family, I can do both.”

“Uncle Trent, you are part of our family.” Tally kissed his cheek.  “You were there for us when I was little, now we are here for you.” Trenton blushed but his heart was full. He put an arm around Tally.  

“Well, since I started all this mess, I just want to say how thankful I am for everyone of you here.  50 years ago I spent my first Thanksgiving with Brian and I never dreamed that I would still be looking at that romantic face,” he smiled at Brian.  “I love you, Brian, and I love each and everyone of you around this table.” Justin started to tell Nico he could serve the food when Brian stood up to speak.

“You know I can bullshit my way through anything but I’m not usually comfortable speaking from my heart like this  but after spending a couple weeks back in New York it reminded me that although I had my heart next to me,” he lifted his glass toward Justin, “there was a bit of me missing and that’s because, although the east coast was our past, this is our future. All of you are our future.  Even when we are no longer on this earth, all of you will continue our legacy.  The Taylor-Kinney’s will live on in each of you.” As Brian choked on his last words, he looked around and saw tears in many of their eyes while Nico was sobbing at the counter. Justin walked from his end of the table to Brian and they held each other for a moment while everyone dried their eyes. As Justin walked back to his seat, Brian looked at Nico, “Is everything ready?”

“Yes, everything is ready,” Nico said.  “Brennon and Zander, could you help me get all this food to the table?” It didn’t take long before the food was being passed and the room was filled with chatter and the clinking of silverware on plates.  Justin had a place set for Nico at the table with the family and, although he protested, he did join the family.  At one point Justin just sat back and had to smile.  Tally was holding her nephew and the expectant mother was talking to the baby.  Shelby was leaning around Gus to talk to Trenton and Gus was tilting his body around Shelby to talk to his brother in law, Zach, across the table.  Justin’s eyes met Brian’s and he smiled and nodded.  Their life really was far more than they ever could have dreamed when they were back in the loft in Pittsburgh.


The remainder of the afternoon the family just enjoyed each other’s company.  Some of them sat around the table to play board games while others sat and talked.   Justin floated around while Brian sat on the sofa with Gabe on his lap.  Nico had started organizing food for the evening get together with the server George had sent so Justin just watched the people he loved most in the world interact. He watched Shelby take her grandson and after checking his diaper she moved down the hall with him.

Justin got Brian’s attention.  “Hey, Bri, can I see you a minute?”

Brian walked over and Justin took his hand, leading him to their room. As soon as the bedroom door closed, Justin wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck and kissed him.  Brian pulled him against him.  When they stepped apart a little bit Brian said, “Is something wrong, Sunshine?”

“No, my heart was just ready to explode so I needed a little release.”  

Brian kissed him again, “This is pretty amazing isn’t it.  And another baby on the way! But we better get back or they will worry you aren’t feeling well. However, I think you are feeling very good right now.” Brian skimmed his hand down his back.   “Our family is the best. ”

“They really are.  But you’re right, we better get back. The next bunch of arrivals will be here soon.  One more kiss.” Justin brushed his lips against Brian’s as he turned the doorknob and they went back to the rest of the family.


George and Sam arrived with their kids first with a few food items that had gotten left behind.  Justice and Tally took the kids to the media room and hung out there starting a movie.  Soon John and Tony arrived with a couple of Matteo’s kids and right behind them Matty arrived with Nora and Leo. Molly and Tyler arrived with Jenna and her kids and as all the kids ended up with Juss and Tally. The last to arrive was Marcus and his whole family.  Once Jed arrived, he and the twins along with Danny and Elliott’s kids, Emma and Cadan and Leo,  grabbed some food and headed to one of the other rooms  while Nico set up a food table for the kids in the media room so they could help themselves as they watched the movie. 

The finger foods were spread out on the table with plenty of wine. As the temperature outside had cooled many of them chose some hot mulled wine and although no one was hungry they all milled around chatting and picking up a little of this and a little of that.  

Brian turned away from the table just as Matty walked up and they collided. “Woah…” Brian took Matty’s arm to steady himself.”

“Sorry about that, Uncle Brian.”

“No problem, Matty.  It has been a while since I’ve seen you.  Nora is looking as lovely as ever.”

“Ya, still love her.” He smiled as he looked across the room to where she was talking to Sam.

“It is obvious but you always have been a man of conviction and loyalty.  When I followed you to Las Vegas, although you were a little too convicted, or should I say almost convicted.”

“You know, Uncle Brian, I was pretty reckless.  I am not sure what would have happened if…”

“Matty, that’s what family does.”

“That’s what our family does.”  Matty gave Brian a side hug making sure he didn’t spill his wine.  “I wish Jonna could have come home for Thanksgiving but since our dads had just visited her she decided to wait and she will be here for Christmas and I hear she is thinking about moving back to the states so if we can find them jobs they may stay.”

“Well, we both know if they want jobs we can manage that.  I have a feeling Brinn and Zach wouldn’t mind help with the winery if they are interested in that.  It wouldn’t take much to upgrade the house Jim and Mary used to live in. We had talked about doing that before. If I remember correctly Jonna’s partner had some experience with wine.”

“That is exactly what I was hoping you would say.  They will be in touch.” Matty hugged Brian who hugged the younger man warmly.

Justin walked up to Danny and Brinn and smiled, “You know, the two were meant to be best friends.”

“I think you are right, Daddy.  I am not sure I would have survived without Danny.”

“Well, Tia, I  know I wouldn’t have survived without you.  You gave me confidence enough to be, well, to be me.  Of course, Dad and Marcus gave me the home I needed for security and were always there for me,” Danny pulled Marcus over and put an arm around him.  

“What is all this…” Marcus looked suspiciously at Danny.

“I was just telling them that without you and Dad, I wonder where I would be today. I wouldn’t have an amazing husband and two great kids, not to mention a career.  I would probably still be on the street if  I was even alive.”

“Oh, Danny, you had it in you.  Dan and I just made it more accessible.  You worked hard for what you have made yourself.” 

“Hey, Dad, can you come over here?” Gus called to Justin who excused himself and walked over to where Gus was standing with Gage.

“What up, you two?”

“Grandpa, are you and Gramps going to Ibiza over Christmas?”

“No, we mentioned going sometime but right now we are ready to stay home for a while. Why?”

“Well, I was wondering if I could use it after Christmas.  I want to propose on New Year’ Eve and I thought that would be the perfect place to do it.”

“Oh, I am sure that would be fine.  Let us know if you want us to set up the plane for you, too.”

“Oh, we don’t need that.  We can take a regular flight,” Gage responded.

“We can talk about that later but I will let our caretaker know you are coming.  They will get everything ready and have a housekeeper available for you.”

“Oh, Grandpa, that would be so perfect.” Gage hugged Justin and kissed him.

“What could I say? You are giving us another great grandchild.”

“All that means is I had sex with the woman I love,” Gage laughed.

“I am just glad we could help you out.”

“What did we help with?” Brian walked up just as Gage smiled and stepped away.

“I’ll tell you later,” Justin kissed him. “Could this day get any better?”

Brian held him close, “It doesn’t get better than this. Did you get anything to eat?”

“I was just thinking about picking up a couple things to try.  It looks really good.”

“What I have tasted is.”

“Hey, you two, how was the big apple?” Molly slipped between them.

Justin hugged his sister, “It was perfect.” Brian pulled Justin against him again.

“It shows on both of your faces.” She glanced over at Tyler.  “I wish we had time to get away.  I can’t remember the last time the two of us got away.  With Dan being sick and Tyler taking over the business a couple years ago…”

“Make time,” Brian said simply.  “Go somewhere, just the two of you.” Brian looked down at Justin,  “There is nothing more important.”

“Brian Kinney, did you get romantic in your older age?”

“His true colors have just managed to work their way out.” Justin leaned against him.  “He is right, Molly, go somewhere, anywhere.”

“I think I’ll try to take your advice.”

“If Tyler gives you any lip, let me know and I will have Marcus order him away.  Adam is a good business man and he is spending more and more time down here.  Maybe he could take over the business end of the business, freeing Tyler up a bit.”

“Do you really think that might happen?”

“I don’t think it would take much.”

“Oh, I can only imagine seeing him once in a while.”

Taylor and Ian were the first to leave. Little Gabe was asleep in his car seat.  Brian and Justin both kissed him goodbye and then hugged and kissed Taylor and Ian.  “Grandpas, I am so glad you are back in California for good.  Gabe is going to need to get to know the two of you.”

“Well, that means you will have to bring him to visit often.” Justin said.

“Oh, I will, Grandpa.  I love you both.”

“Oh Taylor, we love you, too.” And they were gone and once they had left, the others started trickling out.  

George went to the media room to get his kids and Justice walked up and slipped her arm around him.  “Hey, Father George, I was hoping you’d come in here.  I will be heading to grad school after the first of the year.”

“I am so proud of you, Jussy.  I am so glad you and my other kids have gotten to know each other.  You didn’t need another dad.”

“No, my dad will always be my dad but I will always know you’re my father.” 

George had to hug his eldest child.  “You make all of us proud.”  Soon his other kids came over and he and Sam left.

All the rest of the couples with teenagers headed home because all the kids had friends they wanted to connect with.  Brian and Justin stood at the door and said goodbye to everyone as they left.  John and Tony were the last two left and they helped move some of the chairs back to their proper spot.

“Well, I think we are going home if you don’t need any more help.” John walked over to Brian and put an arm around him. 

“Please, go home.  Nico has put away the food and he will do the cleaning in the next couple days.  You two head home.”

Antony and Nico were still chatting in Italian until John waved him over.  “John, did you tell them we plan to have Christmas Eve at our house?”

“I hadn’t yet.  We do plan to have a gathering for Christmas Eve but we will talk several times before then.  Of course your whole family is invited, unless you are planning your Christmas party that night.”

“I can’t talk for the kids but they are coming here on Christmas day so we are free Christmas Eve.” Brian let them know.

“Now you two go home and relax.  I know I am ready for bed,” Justin said.

“You two are always ready for bed,” Tony laughed.

“Well, yes.  I have to admit a lot more time in bed is now spent sleeping or trying to sleep but as long as I’m laying next to Sunshine, I’m content.”  Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and laid his head on his chest.

“Well, let us get out of your way.  We’ll talk soon.” The four men exchanged hugs and John and Tony left.

Nico popped out of the laundry, “You go on to bed.  I am going to get a load started and then I am going to bed.  I will clean up the media room in the morning, if you don’t mind.”

“Nico,” Brian put his arm around Nico’s shoulder, “Thank you for your hard work today.  Take your time cleaning up.  We aren’t planning on having any company for a bit so take your time.  If it's Monday before the house is back to normal, that is not a problem.”

“You were great today, Nico. Thanks for all your help.” Justin hugged him. “You made my day so pleasant.”

“I should thank you.  The love I see in this house gives me hope in humanity.” Nico got a far away look for a moment.  “Now off with the two of you.” Brian and Justin caught each other’s eye and each kissed Nico on the cheek before linking hands on the other side of him and walking down the hall to their room.

They both got ready for bed without talking, each in their own thoughts.    Once they both had their teeth brushed they met in the middle of the big bed. Brian laid his head on Justin’s chest and let his body relax.

“You and Matteo seemed to be deep in conversation earlier.  What were you talking about?”  Justin ran his fingers through Brian’s soft hair.

“We were just talking about our adventure in Las Vegas.  Not that I thought he’d change but always has had such a big heart. I know he works for nothing in a lot of the cases he takes and he and Nora do their best to live off of what they earn in their jobs.”

“Brian, I know damn well you have been putting money into his practice all along.  Home come he doesn’t know that?”

“I set up a foundation that isn’t connected to my name in any way. By now, many other businessmen help fund it.  It’s not all me anymore. What were you and Gage talking about?”

“He was wondering if the villa was free between Christmas and the first of the year.  He wants to propose and it wouldn’t surprise me if they come back married.”

“One less wedding I have to attend.”  Justin swatted Brian’s shoulder but then kissed the spot he had smacked.

Justin continued with his thoughts, “I think they are good together.  And a new baby!  Maybe we’ll  have a great granddaughter this time.” Brian had repositioned himself and now Justin lay his head on Brian’s shoulder as Brian pulled him close. “I am worn out.  It was a great day and it was so good to be home with the family after being in Pittsburgh the last couple years but this is when I remember I am not 30 anymore.”

“You always look young and beautiful to me.”

“Remind me to make you an appointment at the optometrist.”

“So funny,” Brian’s hand made contact with Justin’s ass. It was hard enough for Justin to jump. 

“Ouch! That actually hurt.”

“You used to like pain.”

“With this body I get enough pain just getting up each day.”

“I think we both have our share of aches and pains but it is easier to take it when you have so much to enjoy.  Oh, Matty said Jonna might be moving back with her partner.  I thought, if they are interested, Zach and Brinn might be able to use them here at the vineyard.  Jim and Mary’s house needs some work but Gus could take care of that.  He loves fixing up old houses and that one has great bones, or that is what I heard him say.”

Justin stroked Brian’s chest, “Brian, there is nothing else we need is there?”

“There isn’t anything I can think of that would make me happier except my 30 year old body,” he paused. “And more time with Dan. I never got tired of talking to him.” Brian’s voice turned sad.

“I know, Bri, I miss him too. And although I wouldn’t mind at all seeing your 30 year old body, I know I couldn’t keep up with it anymore and I am very fond of your current body.” Justin tipped his face to Brian who kissed him.

“Did you ever think at 18 you’d still be with me at this age?”

“I know you probably don’t believe this but I knew there would never be anyone else for me.  We have both had our issues over the years but, Brian Kinney, my heart still skips a beat every time you look at me.”

“That’s because it is skipping because I see you.  You have had my heart for years and I am so glad you shared your heart with me and taught my heart what love really was.”

Justin slowly moved his mouth to Brian’s and his tongue gently separated his lips, feeling Brian’s warm tongue caress his.  When they finally separated he said, “Good night, my love.  I am so glad I did this life with you.”

“Sunshine, I hope we can do a few more years but I could never have done this life without you.”