- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This Epilogue does include a death of a major character.  If you have read the whole series you may or may not want to know how the lives of our beloved characters come to a conclusion.  The choose is yours.

Can’t Do Life Without You

Epilogue


April 25th, the day after their 50th wedding anniversary


“What are you thinking about, Sunshine?”  Brian and Justin were laying in bed as the sun began to  peak in the window. 


“I was thinking how much fun it was watching Gabe help his little sister.  He is very much like his mother.  Taylor and Ian are doing a great job raising him and his little sister.  My mom would be so thrilled that Taylor named her Jennifer. I’m glad Gage made it even though his family didn’t make it.” Justin’s voice suddenly trailed off.

Brian noticed Justin blink and grimace.  “Another headache?”

“Ya, I’m sure if I take…”

“This is happening too often.  You are going to see a doctor, today!  I’ll call Elliott as soon as the office opens.” When Justin didn’t argue Brian got more concerned.  He got Justin some pain killers and then closed the curtains so the sun didn’t get in his eyes.  He also brought a damp washcloth for his eyes.  “Rest, Sunshine. Yesterday was a very busy day.” Brian tightened his robe around him and took his cane as he walked out of the room.  He could definitely feel the effects of the busy day.  Being 90 wasn’t easy.  He hated using the cane but  after falling six months earlier he didn’t leave the bedroom without it.

Brian called Elliott as soon as he was in the kitchen.  “Brian, for you to call this early, something is up.”

“Yes, Justin is having another headache and although he won’t admit it, I can tell this one is really bad. Elliott, you said these headaches would probably get really bad before…”

“Brian, I will need to run some tests.  He is going to need to have an MRI and a cat scan so I can compare them to the ones I ran last time.”

“Elliott, what if….is there really anything…” Brian was getting emotional.  “What if…”

“Don’t jump to conclusions.  You have had a lot going on and it could just be the stress of the extra activities.  Justin has lived with this condition for 60 years and I know he had an episode years ago but that doesn’t necessarily…”

“Elliott, I don’t need any false hope, I need facts.  I know that Sunshine is a fighter and he isn’t going to give into this but don’t lie to us, ever.”  Brian’s anxiousness was coming through over the phone.

“Brian, let’s run tests before we over think this.  I will make them squeeze him in.  Why don’t you come in about 9:30.  Let me call Gus so he….”

“NO! Justin will not want them to worry. I can…”

“May I call Marcus? I don’t want you driving and worrying about Justin.”

“Yes, that would be fine.”

“He will pick you up at 9:00.” Elliott hung up with Brian and immediately called Marcus.  

“Hey, El, what’s up?”  Elliott quickly told Marcus what was going on. “Elliott, how worried should I be?”

“Marcus, I really don’t know.  I need to get him into these tests.  It may be nothing more than he has had for years.  He has been very busy.  It might just be a reaction to being over tired.  I have told him the last couple years he needs to slow down.”

“Justin doesn’t know how to do that.  I will have them at your office at 9:30.”


“Sunshine, let’s get you dressed.  Marcus is going to take us to see Elliott.”

“My head really hurts, Bri.”

“I know, darling.  Elliott will help you soon.” Brian helped Justin with his shirt and pants and then washed his face and combed his hair. By the time Marcus arrived, Justin was ready with dark sunglasses on.  

Marcus gave Brian a quick hug and then very gently wrapped his arms around his best friend.  “I’m sorry you are feeling so lousy after such a great party.  If you want to keep your eyes shut, you can just hang on to me.  Brian, I have Justin.  I’ll get him settled in the back seat and you can sit next to him.” Marcus was worried about Brian, too.  He could see the worry on his face.  Brian was 90 years old.  He was getting more fragile and something like this was very hard on him. Marcus listened to Brian talk softly to Justin all the way to Elliott’s office. Elliott was waiting at the entry with a wheelchair and he whisked Justin off   while Marcus offered Brian his arm and Brian accepted it.

“Marcus, did Elliott say where he was taking Sunshine?”

“He is going to run the tests, Brian.  I know you trust Elliott.  He will take good care of him and he will give him something for his headache.”

“Thanks, Marcus.  I’m sorry I’m just so….” Brian didn’t finish his sentence. He just sat with tears in his eyes.

“Brian, you haven’t eaten anything have you?”  Brian shook his head. “But I’m not…”

“Justin will need you to be strong to take care of him.  I will get you a cup of coffee and something for you to eat.  You stay here and I will be back in a few minutes.”  He hated leaving him alone but he knew Brian would feel better if he had something in his stomach.  Marcus was back in less than 10 minutes with coffee for both of them and yogurt and a muffin for Brian.  He hadn’t moved an inch.  Robotically, Brian opened the yogurt and ate it, sipping coffee in between.  

When he had finished eating he looked a little more stable.  “How long has it been? Why haven’t we heard something?”

“It’s been about an hour.  I’ll go see if we can find something ….”  Marcus stopped talking when he saw Elliott coming down the aisle.  

“Brian, why don’t you come with me to my office.  We have a few things to talk about.  Marcus can come with you or wait here.” 

Brian didn’t say anything but reached out for Marcus’ hand and Marcus stood, taking Brian’s hand he tucked it into his elbow and together they followed Elliott.  They sat in the small sitting area El had in his office.  Brian squeezed Marcus’ hand as he listened to Elliott. Marcus put his arm around Brian’s shoulder.

“Brian, we have completed both the MRI and the Cat Scan.  I don’t have answers yet but because of Justin’s pain level I gave him something so he could rest easier.”

“You didn’t bring us in here to tell us you didn’t know anything,”  Brian commented in the no nonsense manner they expected from him.

“You are right, Brian.  Before Justin fell asleep, he said something to me I wanted to pass on to you.  I just want you to know what Justin is going to tell you so you are ready for it.”

“Spit it out, Elliott,” Brian snapped. “I need to go to his side.”

“Brian, he doesn’t want any more surgeries. I have no idea what the tests will show but he made it clear no surgery and he made sure he signed a DNR statement.  He does not want to be resuscitated if it gets to that.”

Marcus looked over at Brian expecting him to have an outburst but he sat quietly for a second before saying, “Can I go see him now?”

“Brian, did you hear what I …..”

“Elliott, I may be old but I can still hear. Yes, I heard you. Now will Justin be staying here or will he be going home.”

“I will need to see the test results but if his pain is under control, I expect him to go home, even if he needs a little assistance.  I know that wouldn’t be a problem for you.”

“Can I go see my husband now?” Brian asked.

“Of course, I will take you to him.”

“Marcus,if you can’t wait….”

“I’ll be in the waiting room until you tell me different.”

“Thanks, Marc.” With cane in hand, Brian followed Elliott.

Elliott pointed at a door. “Justin is sleeping in this room.  I will go check on the results.  I would guess it is going to be about 45 minutes before I get the results and have a chance to look at them.”

“Is there anything I should know I can or can’t do.”

“He has an IV for the pain killer but other than that, there is nothing serious so if you want to slip into bed and take a nap with him feel free.”

Brian didn’t answer but left Elliott standing in the hall alone. Brian walked to the bed and without a second thought he did just what Elliott said.  He laid down next to Justin and after kissing his temple and wrapping an arm around him, he slept.

“Brian?”  Brian came out of his sleep.  

“Hey, Sunshine.” Brian kissed Justin’s lips. “How is your headache?”

“It is much better.  Can I go home soon?”  

“Elliott will be coming in soon and tell us what he found and then we can go home.”

“Has he told you anything? You need to be honest with me.”

“The only thing he told me was what you said to him. Justin, this is probably just an easy fix. Maybe they just need to get rid of some scar tissue.”

“Brian, that scar tissue is in my head, if that is what it is.  I just don’t want to do that again.”

“Just promise me you will listen to all your options and that we can talk about them.”

“Of course, Brian.  I promise.”  As Justin finished the statement, Elliott entered the room.

“Justin, how are you feeling?”

“Much better.  Can I go home?”

“Soon.  We need to let the drugs work out of your body and see if the pain stays away.” Elliott pulled up a chair and sat next to Justin.  “I have reviewed the test results and we did find something.  You have already told me you aren’t interested in having surgery again, which I am actually glad of.  Yes, we could try a very tricky surgery that may or may not relieve your pain.  I know you know how serious your head injury was and you have lived with the consequences over the years.  That last surgery really cleared up many of your issues for many years but, there is no easy way to say it, it has come back.  We have known there is scar tissue there but it has not been a big problem but now it appears there is a weakness occurring.  It is the pressure from that that is causing the pain.”

“How long do I have?” Justin asked as Brian tightened his arm around him.

“Justin,  you could have several years if you remain very quiet.”

“And if I continue to live my life when the pain isn’t debilitating?”

“It could be months, but it could be weeks.”

“When can I go home?”

“Wait a minute, Sunshine!  Isn’t there anything, something minor that you can do?”

Justin rolled over to face Brian, “Baby, I want to live the life I have left.  Take me home.”

“But….” Brian started to interrupt.

Elliott stood, “I will get the paperwork started to get you out of here.  That will take about 30 minutes and by then your meds will have worked their way out of your system. Oh, I’ll let Marcus know you will be ready in half an hour.  He ran to his office.”

Justin smiled at Elliott, “Thank you, Elliott.  You changed your whole morning around for us.”

“Anything for family. Our family has taught me that.” With that Elliott left the room.

“Justin, you can’t just let…”

Justin leaned forward and kissed him, “Brian, don’t fight me on this.  It isn’t like my leg was.  I am a lot older and I could have lived without my leg.  There just isn’t any way to live without your brain and I don’t want to be alive but not be able to really live.”


An hour later Brian and Justin were home.  Marcus had left and, although Brian tried to get him to lay down, Justin refused.  He went out to the back and sat in the spring sun by the pool. Brian gave up arguing with him and sat next to him. 

“Justin, don’t you think…”

“Brian, we need to talk.” Justin rested against him.

“I don’t want to hear this.”

“I know you don’t but you have to listen.”   Brian slumped back as Justin turned to face him.  “I am going to live my life the way I want to.  I am sure I will have bad days but on the days that aren’t bad, I want to work on my art and I want to have lunch with our kids. I want to see the grandkids and I don’t want them to know about it until we know it is very close.”

“Justin, that isn’t fair to them.  They deserve to be able to spend time….”

“Bri, our kids visit so often.  If they knew they would be putting their own lives on hold.  When the headaches get so frequent we can’t hide it, they will know.  Not before.” Justin was getting a bit wound up.

“Calm down, Sunshine.  You know what El said about staying calm. I don’t like it but I will do what you ask.  I …. Damn, how can this be happening?”

“Brian, everyone knows the time will come.  Some people just have an idea how long it will be.”

Brian pulled him close and kissed him.  “Hell, I was supposed to go first.  I never thought I would have to say goodbye to….” he stopped talking and hugged him tightly.  


The next six weeks things almost seemed normal.  A couple days he took the medication Elliott had given him for pain but most of the time he acted like nothing had changed.  As they entered June, Brian noticed Justin was quieter than normal.  He was sleeping more and when he was awake, he had trouble focusing.  The only thing he seemed to be able to concentrate on, and only for short periods of time, was his art.  He worked on a family portrait for short periods of time and by the end of June, Justin was in bed longer each day.  He also was in pain most days, some days it was tolerable but other days he needed complete silence and no light just to bare the pain even on the potent medication.

One evening when Brian got in bed he softly said, “It’s time, Sunshine.  It is time to tell the kids because they will know something is up when we don’t go for the Fourth of July.”

“I can make it.  I don’t want to ruin the holiday.”

“Justin, it is time.   I have allowed you to keep this from them but no more.  I am going to invite them to come with Zach and Shelby  tomorrow night.  They need to know.  7:00 sound alright?”

Justin gave up, “Yes, 7:00 is fine.”


Justin woke up in a great deal of pain but he only took half a dose of medication and forced himself to go to the in-house studio.  Brian didn’t argue with him.  He checked on him frequently through the security cameras.  He knew Justin wanted to finish the painting he had been working on but Brian hated seeing him in so much  pain and knew the stress wasn’t good for him but his determination took priority.  At one point he saw Justin grab onto a stool so he didn’t fall down.  Brian finally went into the room.  He brought a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

“Justin, you need to take a break. I brought a sandwich and coffee.” 

Justin had a wild look in his eyes for a moment but then walked over and collapsed into a chair he had in the room.  He took the coffee but waved off the food.  “I can’t eat right now.  What time is it?”

“It’s around 3:00.  The kids will be here in four hours.  You should really take a nap.”

“I need to finish this.”

“Sunshine, you need to rest. The painting will be here tomorrow.”

“But I don’t know if I will be.”

“Damn, Justin, I’m not ready for this.”

“I need to finish that painting.  It will be my last piece of art for my family.”

“But, Sunshine, I would rather have you around…”

Justin stood and kissed Brian.  “Thanks for the coffee.  Come get me at 4:30 and I promise I will lay down for an hour and then eat something before the kids get here for dessert.”

“Alright,” Brian didn’t argue.  He could deny him nothing at this point. He kissed him and walked out leaning heavily on his cane.  He stopped in the kitchen and told the current intern to have dinner ready at 6:00 and there would be 4 more for dessert.  He then added that maybe homemade soup would be good if it wasn’t too much work.  He then slowly moved toward his bedroom where he felt a heaviness he hadn’t felt since he had been in the outback. He laid on his bed and holding onto Justin’s pillow he allowed himself to cry.

By 4:30 Brian had pulled himself together. Went to the studio.  Justin half sat half leaned on the stool and stared at the canvas in front of him. “Are you ready to call it a day?”

“I’m done with it. Does it look done? Do I need to add more?”

“It is stunning.  I could look at it for hours and still miss so much.”

“I wanted to show it to Brinn and Gus tonight.  They need to know that I want prints made for everyone and Franco,” his last intern, “has the skills needed to do it the way I would.”

“Now that it is done, you can take it easy. We can spend our days in the sun or in bed.” Brian was guiding Justin down the hall to the bedroom.  Once Justin was laying down Brian went to the office and wrote an email to Franco.  He could just hit send when the time came.  Since he was in there he wrote to Gus and Brinn.  He knew how emotional he would be at the time and he wanted them to know what they had talked about in the last couple months.  In the letter, he expressed that they both wanted to be cremated with no monument at a cemetery.  Right after they learned their time was limited, they found a spot at the edge of the vineyard that had a stunning view.  They ordered a bench that day and it had been delivered last week and was stored in the Barn.  Justin wanted his ashes spread there as did Brian when the time came and then when the family wanted to visit them they could go to that bench.

Brian called up a picture of the bench and tried to picture himself sitting there without Justin and no matter how hard he tried, he never saw himself sitting there.  That spot would be for their family, not him. He finished the letter with Justin’s last wishes and walked back to the bedroom.  He sat on the edge of the bed and kissed Justin’s cheek.  

“Sunshine, are you ready to get up?”

Justin blinked, “Can you get me a pill?”

“Sure, let me help you sit up,” Brian helped him and then gave him a full pill and refused to let him take only half. 

“Brian, I want to shower.  I want to look, well, like me.  Not like this haggard old man.”  Together they showered.  They had put a bench in there months ago so with the hand held shower they could safely shower together.  Brian rubbed Justin’s hair as Justin held the hand held shower head. “Remember the acrobatics we used to do in the shower?”

“It is really amazing we never seriously hurt ourselves,” Brian leaned forward and kissed Justin at the spot where his neck turned into his shoulder and he lingered there.  “Sunshine, what am I going to do without you.  I tried to picture sitting on the bench without you, and I just can’t do it.  Don’t hate me if I don’t visit you in that spot.”

“Oh, darling, I could never hate you and you don’t have to go there to talk to me. My heart will still be beating only for you.” The men embraced for a few moments not wanting to separate. 

Brian gently separated from him.  “We better get moving.  You need to eat something before the kids get here for dessert.”


At 6:30 Brian and Justin were eating some luscious chicken soup.  It was rich and creamy and full of calories which is what both men needed right now.  It was obvious both of them had lost weight in the last couple months.  Both men ate the soup along with homemade biscuits slathered with butter.   

At 6:30 Brinn and Gus were on the phone together. “Gus, have our dads talked to you at all? Do you have any idea what is up with this dessert thing tonight? I don’t think it is anything good.”

“I have been kept in the dark, just like you but I agree, something is obviously wrong.  Have you actually seen them in the last couple weeks?”

“I stopped by at the end of last week on my way past.  They both looked tired and maybe thinner.  When I mentioned it, they both blew me off.  Daddy just said something about a headache and that had kept both of them up the night before.”

“I’m not sure I am ready for this conversation,” Gus said softly.

“I know I’m not.  We thought years ago Dad’s cancer would come back.  Maybe that has happened and at his age, they wouldn’t do anything but keep him comfortable.”

“Damn, Brinn, I know we have been lucky to have him this long but Brian Kinney was a god in his day.  He should never die.”

Brinn sniffed, “I can’t think about it.  I need to just hold it together until I hear it from them.”

“Brinny, whatever happens I am always here for you.  You know that, right?”

“I love you, too, Gussy.  I will see you in a few minutes.”

At 7:00 the two couples met at the door of Brian and Justin’s house and rang the bell.  Brian opened the door, and waved the couples in.  There was already a pot of coffee on the table as well as cups and dessert already on plates.  In the corner there was a painting on an easel facing away from them.

“Wow, this looks pretty formal.” Shelby said as, after hugs, they all took a seat.

Brinn couldn’t bear even a few seconds of silence.  She blurted, “What is going on? Dad, is your cancer back? I know that could likely happen but…” 

Justin reached over and squeezed her hand and she stopped talking.  “It’s not your dad.  I have been having trouble for some time and after our anniversary I had a bunch of tests run.  There is nothing that can be done.  I had a lot of good days at first but now, well, it’s just a matter of time.”

“Oh, no, Daddy.  It can’t be….I don’t think I can….” Zach put his arms around his sobbing wife.  Gus and Shelby also had tears running down their cheeks.

“I knew it was something but I guess ….” Gus took a breath.  “How long did they say? Will you be here for Christmas?”

“Gus, I’m not sure I will be here on the Fourth of July.”

“No, Daddy, that is less than a week aways!  This can’t be happening.  It just can’t...” Brinn dropped to the floor at Justin’s side and hugged him tightly. 

After a few minutes everyone had gotten themselves under control.  Justin filled his cup with coffee and passed the pot to Brian.  Without thinking the carafe was passed around the table and then as Justin took a bite of the creamy dessert in front of him, everyone else followed suit and soon all of them had empty plates. 

“Zach, son, could you get the easel and painting and bring it over here.” Zach nodded and brought the painting to him, turning it so everyone could see it.

The four guests all gasped at the painting.  It was so complex. “Oh, Daddy, this is….this makes my heart soar and shatter.”

The picture had Brian and Justin, front and center and none of them were sure how but as they looked at it the image seemed to morph back and forth from them as young lovers to an image of them today.  On either side of them, slightly less distinct were pictures of Gus and Shelby on  Brian’s side and Brinn and Zach on Justin’s side.  There was a slight mist over them and behind each couple were their children with their children.  Each level had more haze over it.  As they kept looking at it the house they sat in appeared in the haze and in the far back of the painting Dan and Marcus stood with Danny and Hannah.  It was obvious there were many more figures in the background but right now they couldn’t identify them all.  

“Oh, this is so stunning.  That group in the background, is that the gang from Pittsburgh?” Brinn asked.

“Yes, it is.  I told your dad that I want Franco to make this into a print.  He will do an excellent job so have him do it.”

“Ok, Daddy, whatever you want.”

Brian looked back and forth between his children, “I know when the time comes I might not be thinking straight so I have written down everything Justin just said.  We also want you to know that we have a bench that will be placed on the vineyard,” Brian explained exactly where it would be. “Neither of us want a burial plot or formal headstone so when it is time, cremation and then sprinkle the ashes near the bench.  I know I am going to be a mess so all of this is on my computer.”

Gus reached for his dad, “Pops, we are here for you but of course you have thought of everything.  I bet you have the password to your computer posted for me, too.”

“I do.  It is probably already in your email.  I had it sent out at 7:30 tonight.”  Brian sighed as he slumped backward.  I wanted to tell you….”

“He wanted to tell you as soon as we found out but I wanted you to live your life until it was about time. You have both always been here for us and, well, you have your own lives to live.”

Brian looked over at Justin and then looked between their children.  “I don’t want to rush you off but your dad is getting tired and I think he needs to get to bed.  We have a nurse starting in the morning and there will be someone here twenty four seven to help control Justin’s pain.  Stop by when you want and if there are changes I will contact you,” Brian’s voice was now wavering. “I….” Justin reached for him and kissed him.

“Your dad is right.  I do need to go to bed.”

“Oh, one more thing, Matteo has the will.  There is a trust with all the grandchildren specified equally.”   As Brian stood and tried to help Justin up, he swayed.

“Zach, could you walk with me and we can make sure Dad gets to bed.  Pops, you can follow us.”  Gus took charge. After the women hugged Justin and Brian, the men began their way down the hall while Shelby wrapped her arms around her sister in law.  

“I can’t believe what we just learned.” Brinn said as she hugged Shelby.

Zach and Gus returned quickly and as they walked out together they started planning visits and a schedule that made sure one of them was always available but as they talked it was obvious they planned to be here as much as possible. Brinn and Gus hugged.

“I had prepared myself for Dad but when it was Daddy….I just can’t wrap my head around it.”

“I feel the same way.  I will see you in the morning.”


Brian helped Justin into bed. “How bad is it?” Justin just shut his eyes as Brian pulled his shirt off over his head and as Justin laid back, Brian tugged his pants off. He then undressed and laid next to Justin. “What can I do?”

“Give me a couple of the painkillers.” Brian hesitated for a moment but then realized the narcotic he gave him really didn’t matter.  He didn’t expect there was enough time for him to actually become addicted.

Justin swallowed them and with Brian lying next to him Justin pressed himself against him.  Brian opened his mouth to say something but Justin put his finger on Brian’s mouth to silence him before resting in Brian’s arms and closing his eyes. Out of pure emotional exhaustion, Brian fell asleep.

The next day, Danny stopped by early to show the nurse around the house and give him directions to the care Justin might need. Brinn came in and walked over and slapped Danny before collapsing into his arms.  “Why didn’t you tell me? You knew all along and you didn’t tell me.  But I am your best friend and…” Danny held her tightly.

“We will make him comfortable. There really isn’t anything that could be done.”

“I know Dad would have fought him tooth and nail if anything could have helped.”

“Brinn, El and I are here if you need anything. You were always there for me when Dad was sick.”

“Thanks, Danny.  Is he awake?”

“He is but it isn’t a good morning. I don’t know what they told you but the quieter it is the better for him if for no other reason he may be able to keep the pain in control a bit more. I also hooked up an IV today so it will be easier for him to get pain relief.”

“Is the pain bad, do you think?”  she sounded like a little girl at that moment.

“He’s tough, Brinn, but he is tired.” They hugged once more and Danny left for work.


On July first, Justin  woke in the middle of the night. “Brian, baby…” Justin groaned as he was sure something was going to explode in his head. “Bri? The rest drifted into moaning.

Brian shifted and turned toward him. “Sunshine, what is it? What’s happening? Let me get the nurse.”

“No, I don’t want anyone else around.  I just want you.” He pushed the button that dispensed the morphine several times. “The pain is…” he sighed as the morphine kicked in.  “I need to say a couple things.”

“No, Sunshine, just relax.”

“No, this is the last… I have never been prouder than when I could say you are my husband.” Justin closed his eyes and took another breath.  “Please, just know I loved you to the end and as long as that heart beats,” he touched Brian’s chest, “I am still with you.” Justin pulled Brian to him and they kissed one last time. Justin laid back on his pillow and closed his eyes.  

“Justin, oh Sunshine.  Please, open your eyes.” Brian pushed the button next to the bed that buzzed in the nurse’s room across the hall.  Moments later the nurse came in and quickly tried to find Justin’s pulse and then listened to his heart.

“Mr. Kinney, it is only a matter of time.  Would you like me to call your children?”

“Wait until it is over and then yes, please.”  

Brian held Justin close and the nurse said he would be back in five minutes so Brian could say goodbye.  “Sunshine, I feel my heart wanting to stop.  There is no reason for me to go on without you. I have no life without you.” Brian watched Justin’s chest rise and fall one last time before Brian’s head dropped onto it and he wept.  The nurse came in quietly and checked for a pulse and then after touching Brian’s shoulder, he walked back out to call Gus and Brinn.

Brian pulled Justin’s now limp body against his, “Oh, Sunshine, what am I going to do.  I really don’t have any reason to….”  Brian’s eyes opened wide for a moment and then he closed them.  “I knew when you were gone my heart couldn’t go on,” he whispered as he drew his last breath himself.

Gus and Brinn arrived at the same time and rushed into the house where they found the nurse.  He had a stunned look on his face.  “Mr. Kinney, Mrs. Chase I don’t know how to tell you this but…”

“They are both gone, aren’t they.” Brinn commented matter of factly and then she stepped into Gus’ arms.  “They told us a thousand times that they shared their hearts. There was no way for one to live without the other. Gus, we had the best parents ever, didn’t we?”

 

“Yes, Brinny, the best ever and we were lucky enough to learn how to love from them.


The End.
Simply written is the author of 41 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked CDLWY 15 The Final Chapter also liked 457 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Can't Do Life Without You. The previous story in the series is CDLWY 14 Upheaval .