- Text Size +

Chapter 3


The plane had barely left the ground and Marcus’ head dropped onto Justin’s shoulder.  Justin could feel his body relax. He had a feeling Marc would be sleeping most of the day today. Marcus had been excited about doing something but Justin knew Marcus needed to let his body relax.

The flight was short and soon Tony came back and said, “We are going to be landing in about 20 minutes so buckle up.” He looked at Marcus who was still sleeping.  “Is he alright?”

“Yes, this is just the first time in months that he has let himself relax.  He knows Dan is out of his reach and is being well taken care of so he can shut down.”

“I can’t imagine.  He is only a few years older than we are and I can’t imagine knowing I would lose John.” Tony went silent for a moment, “I better get back so we can land.”  

Justin kissed the top of Marcus’ head, “Marc, we’re landing.”

“Oh, Justin, I’m sorry. How long have I been sleeping?”

“Nearly two hours.  You needed that.  I don’t know what you want to do today but can I suggest we don’t do much today.  We can go out to a nice dinner but otherwise, let’s just stay in.”

“I think you’re right and tomorrow maybe we can do a little shopping?”

“Now, I like the way you think.  I brought something to wear Friday and Saturday but if I can find the right thing….I just feel old lately so maybe something new will help.”

Marcus was silent for a moment and then said, “I sometimes wish I was older so after Dan…..well, what do I have to live for?”

“Oh, Marc…” Justin touched his cheek, “I will always need you.”

“No, you have Brian and we both know I’m not his favorite.”

“He just knows you are one of my weaknesses.  He knows he has nothing to worry about but that jealousy gnaws at him and I don’t mind that,” Justin smiled mischievously. Brian’s ego can still handle it. The minute it can’t….”

“I know you would never do anything to hurt him and you would do anything to save him any pain.”

“Just like you would take his pain away if you could.”  Justin wrapped his arms around Marcus as the tears began to roll and they felt the plane begin to descend.

Marcus had pulled himself together by the time Tony came out of the cockpit and the plane came to a stop. There was a limo waiting for them and even a photographer that was taking pictures as they got into the car and were rushed away like celebrities.

“Wow, that was crazy.  Has this happened to you before?”

“A couple times.  Both Brian and I have had our share of events and of course when Brinn was kidnapped and when we were all held hostage, both brought more attention than we wanted.”

“You really have had a lot to deal with over the years,” Marcus kissed him.

“The next two days, we have no struggles.  It is just you and me, loose in the big city.” Justin threw his head back and laughed. “It has been a while since I was carefree myself.”

“Yes, losing your mom must have been hard and Brian’s illness but you have always dealt with things better than I am able to.”

“It has come with practice and let’s hope you never have to learn how to cope with that much but if you do we will deal with it together.”  The car door was opened and the driver said he would have the bags sent to the penthouse.  Justin was greeted at the door and both Justin and Marcus were given a card to the room which also got them on the private elevator. When the doors opened an amazing view of the city spread out before them.  “I don’t know about you but,” Justin pulled his shirt off over his head, “I’m going to swim and soak up some sun.”  Justin was tugging off his pants by the time he got out on the rooftop garden where the pool was located.  

Marcus followed him out and stood there as Justin stripped naked and dove into the pool.  He slowly removed his own clothes and then stood on the edge of the pool stretching out the kinks.  He had lost weight over the last few months, probably too much.  Justin popped up at the other end of the pool, “Come join me,” he openly looked Marcus up and down.  He was a beautiful man with the sheen of light red hair over his legs. Marcus started going down the steps in the pool as Justin moved toward him. He and Brian had a similar build which might be what drew him to Marcus all those years ago.  The long limbs were too thin now. “We need to fatten you up a bit.  Well, fatten isn’t the right word but you need to gain back a little bit.”

Marcus stood a short distance from Justin. “Justin, what are we doing this week? I mean, is there a plan? And I’m not asking about shopping,” he slid his hand down Justin’s chest.

Justin took a step closer and kissed Marcus lightly.  “Marc, you are in charge of where it goes and what we do but there is no rush.  Right now, let’s just swim and then relax together. Justin kissed him once more, this time a little longer but with no demands. And then he swam off. This time, Marcus was right behind him.  They swam laps for the next several minutes and then the two of them  stretched out on a lounge chair together. Justin linked fingers with him and then closed his eyes as the sun kissed their skin.  When he opened his eyes fifteen minutes later Marcus was again sound asleep.  He stood carefully, not wanting to wake him and moved the umbrella to block his fair skin from the sun before he moved inside.  

He took this chance to call Brian. “Hey, darling, can you talk?”

“Hey Sunshine, how is Marcus? Is he relaxing a little without wine?”  Brian asked.

“We swam for a while and now he is asleep out in the garden.  He slept all the way here on the plane, too.  He is exhausted physically and mentally.”

“What are you wearing, Sunshine?” Brian said huskily.

Justin laughed softly, “Nothing.  I came in with a towel  but it’s draped on the chair now. Are you missing me already?”

“I just want to picture your beautiful body.”

“It might have been beautiful once but that’s been a long time ago.  That was before Australia.”

“Remember that hut we lived in? The water was so clear and we made love so many times…”

“That was one of the best months of my life. Are you home right now?”

“Yes, I am just packing my overnight bag and plan to go back.  You can tell Marcus that Hannah has arrived and is taking good care of her dad.  Sunshine, I told her I would be there in five minutes so she can run and errand.  I love you.”

“Oh, Bri, I love you, too.  We are going out to dinner soon and then I really expect him to sleep through the night.”

“Well, I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Sunshine.”

“Goodnight, and Brian, take care of yourself, too. I expect you to be a willing and able partner on Saturday evening.”

“Oh, don’t worry, love.”

“Justin?” Marcus walked in as Justin hung up.

“Hey, Marc, did you have a nice nap?”

“Ya, thanks for moving the umbrella.  I would have been a lobster. I should head into the shower.  Use whatever one you want and I will take the other one.  We still have a couple hours until our reservations but if we wanted to go early for a drink or two we could.  I thought we could walk to the restaurant and then have the hotel send a car for us when we are ready to return.”

“That sounds great.” Marcus picked up his bag and walked to the distant bedroom.  Thirty minutes later both men were showered and shaved.  They were dressed in khakis and button downs.  

“Are you ready for a stroll?’ Justin asked, holding out his hand.  Marcus nodded and took Justin’s hand, squeezing it.  “You look better already.  You have a little color and you look rested.”

“Are you trying to tell me I looked horrible?” he said as they exited the elevator on the ground floor.

“Not at all, Marc.  You looked like a man who has been caring for his husband and not thinking about himself.  I’m going to give the concierge a heads up that we are going to need a car later.” 

As Justin walked away a young man came up to Marcus, “Is that Justin Taylor?” 

“Oh, yes it is.  Are you here for the artist events this week?”

“I am and  have been a fan or Mr. Taylor since I saw the original paintings of him and his husband.  Oh, you're not his husband.  He was married to an older guy, are you a new husband?”

“I don’t know you so I am not sure why you are talking to my friend about my personal life,” Justin walked up being very protective of Marcus.

“Oh, Mr. Taylor, I didn’t mean….I am sure you don’t remember me but we have met before .” He introduced himself and as he talked, Justin did remember the young man.

“You are getting an award tomorrow at the cocktail party, aren’t you?”

“I am, sir.  I can’t believe you remember that.”

“I like your work.  This is my friend, Marcus.  My husband is joining us on Saturday but Marcus and I are going to do some shopping and exploring tomorrow.  I’d like to talk to you a little more but we have reservations.  Maybe  we can talk at the party tomorrow?”

“Oh, I’d love that.  Thank you, Mr. Taylor.”

“Justin, please.  We will talk tomorrow.” Justin slipped his arm in Marcus’ and they walked out the door.

“Does that happen very often?”

“I should have warned you it might happen while we were here.  With all the artists and art dealers around, I thought it might happen.  Just another reason not to hang out down here much.”

Justin had asked for a private table and they were escorted to a table out of the main pathway.  Justin sat out of the line of sight of the main dining room and the two had a quiet dinner together. They shared a bottle of wine and Justin noticed Marcus reaching out more as the evening went on. He touched Justin’s arm and then stroked his cheek.  When Justin noticed some whipped cream on the edge of Marc’s mouth he took his finger and wiped it off and then stuck it in his own mouth.

Marcus shivered, “Justin, can we go back to the hotel?”

“Sure.  Is something wrong?”

“No, I just…..I need to kiss you so bad I think  I will explode if I can’t do it soon.”

“Well, we don’t want any exploding in public,” Justin smiled at him.  “Let me pay the tab and,” he took out his phone and sent a message to the hotel, “I just sent for the car.” He handed his card to their server and then he laid his hand on Marcus, thigh and gently massaged it. Marcus didn’t dare move until the bill was paid and they were walking out the door.  The car pulled up for them just as they stepped out and as soon as they were in the car Marcus pressed Justin down on the back seat and kissed him until they were both breathless.  Marcus began to fumble with Justin’s pants but Justin stopped him. “Marc, take some deep breaths.  We are almost at the hotel.  Just wait.” 

Once in the lobby, Justin and Marcus walked to the private elevator and as soon as the doors closed he again had Justin pinned to the wall but as the doors opened and Marcus stepped back he slumped a bit. “I’m sorry.  I shouldn’t...I can’t….we can’t…” Marcus rushed to his room and shut the door. Justin looked at the closed door and after he had kicked off his shoes and unbuttoned his shirt he walked to Marcus’ door.  He tapped softly and checked the door.  It was unlocked and he walked in going over to the bed where Marcus lay.  He sat down and began to unbutton Marcus’ shirt.  He helped him slip it off and then undid Marcus’ fly.  He helped Marcus slip off his pants and then he did the same, leaving his briefs on. He lay behind Marcus and spooned up against him.  

“Marc, you aren’t doing anything our husbands don’t want us to.” As Justin kissed Marcus’ neck he reached around and slipped his hand into Marcus’ briefs and began to stroke him gently.  Justin was fairly sure Marcus was crying softly as Justin made him cum using only his hand.  He brought his now sticky hand up and laid it on Marc’s abdomen.  “I love you, Marc.  I know I’m not Dan, and I never will be but I’m here for you.” It was only seconds later when Justin knew he was sleeping again.


Brian woke up next to Dan.  He hadn’t planned to sleep next to him but after helping him to the bathroom and back into bed, Dan had asked him to stay until he fell asleep so he laid next to him.  “Brian,” he said softly, “Is Justin and Marcus ...”

“Yes, darling Dan. Marcus loves you so much but he needed time away. You and I know our husbands love us but they are still young.”

“I hope Justin gives him what he needs. I just can’t…” Dan slowly turned over to look at Brian. “I’ve told him to leave.  I’ve told him he doesn’t need to stay.”

“Our husbands love us and they are loyal,” Brian wrapped his arm around Dan and held him close.  He then pulled him even closer and kissed him, then slowly rolling over so his body pressed Dan into the mattress. He took the kiss a little deeper as Dan put his hand on the back of his head until Brian slowly pulled away.  Dan turned away from Brian again and Brian spooned with him. Once they were comfortable, Brian said softly, “I love you, my friend.  We aren’t ready to lose you yet.” Brian blinked rapidly as his eyes filled with tears and then drifted off to sleep.


Justin woke to his phone vibrating.  He grabbed it off the nightstand and slipped out of bed, not wanting to wake Marcus.  He slipped out of the room and answered the phone as he walked to the roof. “Good morning, Brian.”

“Hey Sunshine, I missed you last night.”

“I missed you, too, baby.”

“So were you up all night having fun?”

“Brian, I held him as he fell asleep. Where did you sleep last night?”

“I slept with Dan.  He said he hoped you were screwing Marcus.”

“He did not! Brian you’re lying.”

“Well, he didn’t use those words but that’s what he meant. He knows the stress he is under.”

“How is Dan this morning?”

“He is actually quite perky.”

“What did you do to give him all that energy?” Justin asked suggestively.

“I held him,” he said flatly.

“Oh, baby, I’m sorry.  I know it isn’t easy.  Honestly, that is all I did last night, too. He was just so exhausted I got him to sleep as much as I could.  Now today, we are going to shop when he wakes up.”

“Do I need to put a limit on the credit card?” Brian laughed.

“I promise I won’t buy any buildings.”

“Sunshine, you can buy anything you want except a toy boy,” Brian’s low seductive laugh had Justin’s dick responding.

“Bri, you know you don’t have to worry about that.”

“I know, love. I better go.  Brinn is coming to have breakfast with Danny and I will….”

“You will do whatever your friend needs.  I’ll call you later.”

“Have a good day.”

“Was that Brian? Is Dan alright?” anxiety crossed his face.

Justin walked up to him and kissed him, “Dan is fine.  Brian said he slept well.”

“My anxiety probably adds to his stress.  Maybe spending time away from him would be best.”

“Marc, you know Dan wants you with him but he also knows you need a break which is why you are here.” Justin dropped his briefs.  “I’m taking a dip before breakfast. Join me?”

Within seconds they were both swimming laps and then Justin felt a tug on his ankle pulling him under and when he popped up Marcus slid up next to him dragging his lips up from his waist to his mouth.  Justin draped his arms around Marcus’ neck and pressed his body tightly against him. They stood there in each other’s arms for some time before Justin stepped back a bit.

“I think it’s time for breakfast.”

“Yes, I am getting a little hungry.”

“Well, let’s order anything and everything.  Then we can go shopping for several hours followed by lots of alcohol and a good meal.” Justin got silent for a moment and then said, “And after that...it’s your call Marcus.  Our husbands know and it’s your call.”

Marcus didn’t say anything as he dried off and pulled on a robe but in a few minutes they were drinking coffee and waiting impatiently for breakfast to arrive.  They decided to dress and that way when breakfast was done they would be ready to go.


Brinn arrived to have breakfast with Danny while Brian made sure Dan ate his meal.  “Danny, it has been too long,” Brinn stepped into her best friend’s arms.

“I agree, Tia. I have just been so busy that I…”

“I totally know what you have been doing.  You and Elliott barely have time to talk to each other, let alone see friends. How is Uncle Dan doing?”

“I didn’t think he would last this long but your dads coming home has actually helped him.  He seems to draw energy from Brian.”

“Yes, they always did.  They have been friends for so long. They energize each other.”

“Too bad nothing can….” Danny turned from Brinn and handed her an empty plate.  Grab whatever you want and then we can go sit out on the deck.  It is nice out there yet.  Later it will be too hot.”

They each filled a plate and took a mug of coffee out to the patio area.  “How are your kids?” Brinn asked as she nibbled on a cinnamon roll.

“They are both so wonderful.  Who knew having a couple kids would complete a life.” Danny took a sip of coffee.  “I might need your help this summer, Brinn.  Hannah has been a huge help with Emma.  When she needs a woman’s opinion, she relies on her but she is getting ready for college and Hannah is already stretched to the limits.  It might be one of those times she needs a pseudo mom.”

“You know I am always here for your daughter.  When she was little I filled that a lot more often but as Hannah grew, she didn’t need me.  But you’re right, I see this being very hard on your sister.  I remember how hard it was on her when her mom passed away five years ago and that was for a woman she really never knew.  It won’t be easy on any of us.”

“I think we are all preparing ourselves.  Dad will soon be unable to enjoy life and then…. Brinn, how am I going to live without him here?  He’s the one I always went to when I needed advice,” Danny’s eyes filled with tears.

“Danny, you go to him but, you and Elliott are amazing men who, because you have learned from these great men, you’ll be fine. And you know my dads are here for you.” Brinn moved to Danny’s side and held him.

“I owe him and Marcus everything.  If it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be alive today.  I know I would have died on the streets.”

“But they did find you and didn’t give up on you and you are such an amazing man.”

“Well, I am going to get another cup of coffee and since your dad and Hannah are here today, Elliott and I are going to have an early dinner together.  I think my son is crashing at your house.”

“You know Cadan is always welcome. I could use another cup myself.”


It was about 5:00 pm when Marcus and Justin arrived at the penthouse.  There were already several bags by the door and there were more that would be delivered tonight.  They had spent a great deal of money and had enjoyed every minute of it. They dropped on the sofa together and before either realized it they were kissing and touching.  

Eventually Justin softly said, “Marcus, I think I could use a nap.  We have enough time to get some sleep and then….well, tonight we will feel rested.  I know you don’t realize it but you could use some rest. Join me?” Justin offered his hand and together they walked into the room that was the larger of the two.  They stripped down to their briefs and before Justin realized what he was doing, Marcus spooned him and soon he slipped his hand into Justin’s briefs.  “Marc, we are supposed to….oh, god, that feels good.”

“I owe you after last night,” Marcus commented as he brought Justin to climax and then he moved his sticky hand to mirror what Justin had done the night before and the men dozed off together.


Dan was sitting in a chair feeling the sun on his skin, “Brian, I think I need to lie down now,” he said after sitting up for half an hour.

“Sure, Dan.” Brian helped him to his feet and nearly carried him to the bed and made sure he was comfortable. Brian sat on the bed next to him.

“Do you think they have…”

“Dan, it’s best not to let your mind go there.  I know I can’t.  They will come home to us because they love us.”

“Brian, that’s true but they love each other, too.”

“You’re right but it is different and they always come back to us because we hold their hearts.”

“Yes, Brian. You are right.  My life would have been so empty without Red. You’ll take care of him, right?”

“I think it is more like Justin and Marcus will have to take care of me but he will always be family.”

“Thanks, Bri…..an,” Dan drifted off to sleep as Brian bent and kissed his cheek.


Marcus and Justin made a stunning couple.  After they had napped, they had dressed in new clothes they had picked up on their shopping trip.  Justin had found a sky blue silk shirt that had a swirled pattern of the same color, only showing up in the right light.  The navy trousers he had bought fit him like a second skin over his ass and, looking in the mirror, Justin decided he looked pretty good for a guy who was 68.  Marcus had bought a similar shirt in a jade green and his black pants showed off his lean build.

Justin looked at him appreciatively.   Marcus was a great looking man and together, they would definitely draw the attention of the other attendees tonight.  “Marc, you know seeing you in that…” he walked over and kissed him.  “God, you are beautiful. But tonight, in public, even though I know Brian is fine with this, I don’t want a story to pop up about me leaving my older husband for a gorgeous younger model.”

“I would never want that but when you look that good, it is hard to keep my hands off you.” Marc placed his hands on Justin’s cheeks and kissed him, taking it to the next level as his tongue explored Justin’s mouth but then he stopped and backed off.  “I, I just…..DAMN!”

“Marc, relax.  Stop thinking and have fun.  Dan loves you and you love him with all your heart.  He knows that.  It will be a fun evening.  That’s all that matters tonight.”

“Justin, I do love you.  I couldn’t have a better friend.”

Arm in arm they took the elevator down to the cocktail party.  They each grabbed a glass off a tray as a server walked past and before they could find a place to sit or stand, they were surrounded by people.  Justin was never comfortable being the center of attention but he was gracious to the other guests.  Marcus slipped further back out of the way.

“Marcus, right?”

Marcus jumped at the sound of his name.  Beside him stood the young man they had met in the lobby last night. “Yes, I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

“I don’t think I said it.  Most people call me Dez.  I’m more of a street…”

“You’re a graffiti artist.  You are astonishing although some people might say you are a bit of a vandal.”

“I’m flattered.  I’m surprised you know…”

“Justin told me all about you.”

“I can’t believe I am talking to someone who is actually close to Justin Taylor.  He is actually the inspiration for my work.  When I was young my dad turned me onto the Rage series.  Is Rage really fashioned after Justin’s husband?  Rage used to scare me just a little.  More like the thrill you get when you walk through a haunted house. You aren’t quite sure what might happen when you are there.”

“Wow, so you’ve met Brian.  I have spent hours with him, no actually days,  and I still feel that way every time.”

“So he is the character.”

“No, the character is part of him. I think Justin needs rescuing,” Marcus saw the look on Justin’s face.

“In about ten minutes they will call us into the dining room.  I think we are supposed to sit at a special table but I hope we aren’t surrounded by people like that.”

“Marcus, do I have permission to sit at your table? I will grab my friend and at least that will give you a couple people to buffer Mr. Taylor from all the other crazies.”

“Oh, Dez, that would be great.”

“I’ll see you in there in a few minutes.”  Dez walked across the room and spoke to another young man and they left together. 

As Marcus tried to get near to Justin an announcement was made to move to the dining room. “You left me to the wolves,” Justin said softly to Marcus when he finally made it to his side.

“Well, maybe, but I think I saved you for dinner.  Dez and a friend are sitting between you and whoever else thinks they need a piece of you.”

“I may forgive you,” Justin looked at him. “Damn, I want to kiss you. I mean really kiss you.”

They found their table and right next to the chairs that said Justin Taylor and guest Dez and another young man sat.  The seating arrangement had been changed as a couple stuffy dealers looked for their names at the head table.  Once they had wandered away to find the seats, Justin offered his hand to Dez, “Thank you. I don’t think I could have….”

“When I saw who you were supposed to be sitting next to I was sure you wouldn’t mind.”

“Those two just want to show my work at their stuffy galleries.”

The rest of the chairs were filled with more young artists, “How did you get all the name cards changed that quickly?”

“Well, I actually had already changed the card.  I wanted some of the younger artists to get a chance to talk to someone with your talent.”

For the next two hours Justin and Marcus enjoyed the conversation. “So, Marc tells me Mr. Kinney is just like Rage.”

“Marc, has a fear of him even after seeing him naked more times than he could count.”

“You know damn well your husband is intimidating.”

“Well, your husband didn’t smile the first two years I knew him. I didn’t think he knew how to smile but I guess he wasn’t sure how to until he met you.” Justin’s hand slipped onto Marc’s thigh. “You have a great husband, love.” Justin kissed his cheek. 

The alcohol had been flowing freely all night and by now no one was feeling any pain. “So you’ve seen each other naked?” Dez’ friend asked with slurred speech.

“We have shared a lot of time together,” Justin said as he changed the subject. “Hell, the whole world has seen me naked.”

“Yes, your series of love is probably the best work I have ever seen.  At least it is the most beautifully erotic work I have ever seen. I had wet dreams over those paintings for years and I’m not even gay. They are so beautiful. You are so beautiful.”

“Well, we were beautiful.  Now we are just older and much less beautiful.”

“Justin, you know damn well you are still stunning.”

“Brian is stunning.  Even at 80, he turns heads wherever he goes.”

As dessert was served along with a dessert wine, Justin took a sip, “Finally, really good wine.”

“It’s one of yours?” Dez asked.

“It is.  I usually am not a fan of the super sweet wines but this one…. The first time I tasted this one I knew it was special.” As Justin sipped it he felt Marcus’ hand run across his crotch.  He shivered as the hand began to massage him, unnoticed.

“Well, gentlemen, you have made the evening enjoyable but at my age, it is time to go get some sleep.  That beautiful man we were just talking about will be here tomorrow and I will need my rest. Marcus, did you want to stay for more fun?”

“I think it is time for me to go to bed, too.  Tomorrow will be another busy day.” Marcus stood up and he helped Justin stand up. “Your leg is tight?”

“It is.  Too much walking today and then sitting all night.”

Marcus slipped an arm around Justin’s waist and together they left the banquet hall. Justin swiped his keycard and they entered the elevator.  Before the door was shut, Marcus had Justin pressed against the wall and his mouth descended on his.  When the doors opened to the penthouse they fell out of the door and walked immediately to Marcus’ bedroom. They both were unbuttoning their shirts as they walked and they threw them on top of each other in a side chair and by the time they got to the bed they were naked. 

Words weren’t needed.  They kissed and they touched.  Marcus was nearly frantic.  His mouth and hands were everywhere.  Justin finally moved and pinned him down to the mattress. “Marc, relax.” Justin lowered his mouth to Marcus and slowly kissed him. There was no rush, no urgency. “We have all night,” Justin began to move lower.  By the time he took  the cock in his mouth, Marcus arched to meet it.  It wasn’t long before Marcus cried out but Justin didn’t stop.  He rolled him over and then he ran his tongue down his lower back and found the spot he was searching.  Marc could barely lay there and when Justin replaced his tongue with, first one finger and then a second Marcus lost all control.  Justin continued to brush his prostate until he begged for him to stop.  Justin moved back up and as Marcus turned, Justin wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close.

“Justin, you can….I thought you would …..don’t you want to screw me?”

“Marcus, sweetheart, I don’t want you to regret anything when you go home to your Darling Dan.  What else would you like me to do? What do you need to feel?”

“You knew what I needed more than I did.” Marcus’ head dropped on Justin’s chest and then he slept.


Brian lay next to Dan and gently stroked his chest and then let his hand play a little lower.  He felt Dan tense when his hand gently stroked his cock.  “I don’t think anything will happen but it feels wonderful.”

“Well, if it feels good I will do it until you tell me to stop.”

“Just do it until I fall asleep. Brian, I love you, my friend.”

“Oh, Dan, I love you, too.”   Soon Dan’s body was relaxed and Brian rested his hand across Dan’s waist.

“I love you, too, Dan. What am I going to do when……” Brian stopped the thought before it could come out.


Justin was waiting for Brian’s call this time.  He had woken up and slipped out of the room he had shared with Marcus. He couldn’t wait for Brian to get here.  He had loved spending time with Marcus and he could see that Marcus was much more relaxed but he wanted Brian here for the award tonight.  Brian just knew what to do at events.  That was where he shined and Justin was uncomfortable. Sure, he could fake it like last night when it was informal.  Tonight it would be formal and Brian just knew what to do in situations like that. Justin was just stepping out onto the roof with a cup of coffee when the phone vibrated.

“Good morning, Bri.”

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian’s raspy morning voice came through the phone.  “I just left Dan so I can be ready when John picks me up.” He hesitated before continuing, “I need to know, Sunshine.  What happened last night.  Play it down.  The sex was bad and Marcus is impotent.”

“Oh, Brian,” Justin laughed softly.  “I love that you are jealous.  Even if I had spent the night with his cocke buried in my ass or vice versa, you would be the one I would be going home with.”

“If?”

“Marc is just too fragile.  The guilt would kill him.  I helped him, uh, relax a bit but neither of us screwed the other.”  Justin could hear Brian’s sigh of relief.  “Brian, were you really that worried?”

“I love you, Brian.  You know that.”

“I do but at my age, my memory isn’t as good as it used to be,” Brian said lightly.  “I better get ready to leave.  I’ll see you around 2:00.”

Brian drove home and as he was packing an overnight bag he heard someone come into the house. “Dad? You here?” Brinn called from the kitchen.

“In the bedroom,” he said as he slipped on a robe. He planned to take a shower after his packing was done and had already tripped.

“Hey, Daddy,” Brinn hugged and kissed Brian who held her tight for a few moments.  “How is Uncle Dan?” She looked at Brian closely, “How are you?”

“Dan is hanging in there.  It isn’t easy seeing him like that. I never thought I would outlive him. He was always the healthy one.”

“Daddy, don’t even talk like that.  It is so hard to see Danny go through this but when I think it could be you….” Brinn held on to her father for a few more minutes. “You know you aren’t allowed to ever die.  You can not leave us.” Brian held his daughter for a long moment. 

“Brinny, I don’t want to stop this beautiful moment but I have a plane to catch.  Did you come for some reason?”

“I was just going to tell you we are going to have your birthday party tomorrow night, here.”

“Brinn, I’m not in the mood for a party. With Dan….”

“Dad, it was your birthday a couple weeks ago.  It is just going to be family.  Taylor will be here with Gabe and Ian of course. Juss and Tally are coming home for it and the boys will be here, too. John and Tony will be here too but no more unless Marcus wants to come but I think he will want to be home with Dan. Daddy, you have to let us do this for you.”

“Alright, dear.  Now, unless you want to see my dangly bits, you better let me shower.”

“Oh, Dad.  Kiss Daddy for me.  I am so proud of him.”

“So am I, love.”


Brian drove down to the airport and parked his car in the hanger he rented for his planes and walked out on the tarmac to find John by the plane. “Are we about ready to take off?”

“Probably five to ten minutes,” John said and then looked at his uncle.  “Are you alright, Uncle Brian?”

“Yes, I just need to see Justin.  You know what that’s like.  I just need some grounding after spending so much time with Dan.”

“I can understand that.  You and Dan are like brothers.”

“Well, I’m not sure I would say that but I know what you mean.  He has always been there for me and my family and we have needed a lot of assistance.”

Brian walked up the steps and moments later John was in the pilot’s seat and started the final check  “Tony stayed in LA and will meet us at the airport.”

“Good.  What time should we be at the hotel?”

“Depends on traffic but we could be there by 1:00, more likely 1:30. I just texted Tony and he will keep in touch with Justin. Did Justin and Marcus have a good time?”

“Sunshine said Marcus got a chance to relax a bit.  He needed it.”  Brian and John talked as they flew and it wasn’t long before John was lowering the landing gear.  

John could see Brian begin to tap his heel.  “Brian, you aren’t worried about Justin and Marcus are you?”

“I know better, but I know how hard this has been on Justin, too.  Marcus is so stressed.”

“Dan and Marcus are lucky to have you.”

“We’re lucky to have each other.” John started talking to the tower and the plane descended slowly.

Tony hugged Brian when he walked off the plane, “Hey, Brian, I had a feeling you wouldn’t want to wait for John to do the post flight check so that limo is for you.  It will take you to the hotel.”  

Brian kissed Tony on the lip.  “I knew my nephew made a smart choice.” Brian nearly ran to the car with his overnight back on his shoulder.  This would get him to the hotel around 1:00. He started to text but then decided to surprise him.  Justin said they were just relaxing on the roof so they would be there.

Marcus and Justin dozed on separate loungers enjoying the warmth even under the protection of umbrellas.  Justin turned when there was a buzz letting them know the elevator was on the way up. Justin glanced at his phone and realized it was too early for Brian so it must be the food they ordered.  Justin motioned for Marcus to stay where he was and he grabbed a robe to slip on.  He walked into the penthouse as the elevator door opened and the moment he saw it was Brian, he rushed into his arms. “Oh I have missed you!” Justin threw himself into Brian’s arms and Brian held onto him tightly.  

“Oh, Sunshine.  I don’t like it when we are apart.”

“Well, then let’s not do it again. I feel the same way.  .  Marcus had to get away or I would not have left you.  I need you. Are you up to it? You have had a long day already.”

“Shut up and help me out of my clothes.”

An hour later the three men sat by the little patio table with club sandwiches and salads.  Brian and Jusitn kept in physical contact the entire time.  Marcus watched them and although he had a heavy heart, he was glad his friends were together.  “Brian, Justin and I….”

“Marcus, Justin and I talked.  You don’t have to say anything.  Dan misses you, too, but he was so glad to hear you were relaxing and getting a little sun.  I know you two talked the last two day.”

“Speaking of Dan, I think he should be awake.  I’m going to go call him.” Marcus left them alone.

“He looks better.” Brian said, pulling Justin onto his lap.

“Yes, he has a little color and he is rested.”

“Hopefully that will take him through….”

“How is Dan?”

“He is holding on but I’m not sure that will last. I have a feeling it won’t be long. Oh, by the way, our kids are insisting on throwing me a birthday party tomorrow when we get back in town.”

“I told Brinn she had to run it through you.”

“Well, I told her I didn’t want it but I had to say yes.”

“You never could say no to her but I’m glad you are  going along with it.”

“Yes, Dan has all of us thinking about our mortality.”


At 7:00 p.m. the three men were ready to go down to the ballroom where they would have dinner and the awards would be given out. Brian went right into business mode.  He moved through the crowd with an arm around Justin.  Marcus decided to hang back with Dez and some of the other people he had met the night before.  This was a night for Justin and Brian was part of Justin. 

The meal was decent for a banquet like this and soon the tables were cleared and the awards began.  They went through several before it was the final award of the night.  There were two other winners besides him there was a sculptor,  a mural artist, and the final one of the evening was Justin.  He insisted Brian come up with him, holding on to his arm tightly.

Justin moved to the microphone, “Thank you for this honor.  Those who know me, know I can speak in public but I really don’t like it. Tonight I want to let everyone know that the only reason I managed to do what I have over the years was because of my husband, Brian.  He supported me when I was a teenager coming from a severe head injury.  Then he was the inspiration for the Rage series. And of course one of the main reasons I received this was for the series showing our love for each other. Brian wasn’t always reasonable but he was always supportive and fair. We have raised two beautiful children together and now have 6 grandchildren and a great grandson that is about 10 days old.  I know I am rambling but I will wrap this up,  Brian Kinney, you have been the keeper of my heart for 50 years and no matter how much longer we are given, I will love you.”

Brian pulled Justin close, kissing him, not caring about the audience and after Justin picked up the award, Brian and Justin walked off the platform.

“Well, I guess we know the inspiration of the series now,” the master of ceremonies stated.  He said a few more things about a breakfast in the morning where some of the minor awards would be handed out and then the night was concluded.

Brian and Justin walked hand in hand and when Marcus came up beside them he hugged both of them, dropping a kiss on Justin’s lips, “That was well deserved and well said.”

“Thanks, Marc, I don’t know about you but I am ready for some sleep and an early flight back in the morning?”

“Yes, the earlier the better. I need to get back to Dan.”

“No one contacted you, did they?” Brian’s concern surfaced.

“No, I just want to be with him.  I don’t know why but I have this odd feeling. He was ok when you saw him, right?”

“Marcus, he was fine.  John will have the plane ready around 7:00 so we should be home before 10:00 am.”

“That sounds great,” Marcus said as the stepped off the elevator.

Later as Brian and Justin laid side by side Brian said, “I hope Dan is still there when we get back.”

“He will be.  He won’t go anywhere with his Red.”


Dan sat up in bed. Hannah sat on the bed next to him, tucked in the crook of his arm and Danny sat on the edge of the bed on the other side of him.  Dan was in a talkative mood.  He talked about the first time he met Danny and about the day Danny brought Hannah home.  They all laughed and shared stories until Dan said, “I think I need to go to sleep now.”  He laid flat and both of his children kissed him as they walked out of the room, turning off the light.

Once in the hall, Hannah turned to her brother, “Danny, he’ll be there in the morning, won’t he.  I just feel like he was saying goodbye.”

 

“Hannah, I think he is just trying to let us know how much he loves us. He won’t go anywhere without Marcus by his side.” Danny said it with confidence but as Hannah moved toward her room he added, “I hope.”