- Text Size +

Chapter 7


Brennon’s cock ached when he woke up.  He was so hard.  He wondered where Jed was as he went to the bathroom to relieve the strain.  It only took a couple strokes and he bit his lip so he didn’t yell out as he shot cum into the toilet and then flushed and went downstairs in the shorts he had slept in.  He found his mom setting a plate of eggs in front of Jed.

“Good morning, darling,” Brinn said as Brennon walked over and kissed his mom. “Hey, any news on your dad, Jed?”

Brinn shot him a glance knowing the news couldn’t be good. “I talked to Jed’s mom and he rested comfortably through the night.”  Brennon heard the words his mom said but her look said something else. This was really serious. “Just before you came down I was telling Jed I have an emergency meeting this morning but Dad said he would take you anywhere you needed to go.  He said anytime after 10:00 would be fine.”

“Ok, Mom.  I’ll clean up when we’re done eating. You go on to your meeting.”

“Thank’s, Bren.” She kissed his cheek and then walked around and kissed Jed’s.  “Sorry, I’m short a son right now so I guess you have to put up with my kisses,” and with that, Brinn was gone.

“Your mom isn’t anything like my folks said she would be.  They were sure she would have maids and gardeners and all that kind of stuff.”

“Well we do have a cleaning lady that comes a couple times a week.  She spends two days with us, two days and Aunt Shelby and Uncle Gus’, and one day at my grandpas’.  And of course, George keeps our fridges and freezers stocked but a lot of that is because Mom works a lot.  I mean she still works with Uncle Matty once in a while and she is still on the board of the medical research company.  Now she and dad manage the vineyard, too.”

“Wow, they really do work hard when they probably wouldn’t have to do much.”  Jed stared out the window and Bren threw an arm over his shoulders. 

“Did you talk to your mom this morning?”

“Ya, but I know she didn’t tell me the truth.  I have a feeling Dad is really bad.  Brennon, if Dad...if he doesn’t make it, I don’t know what my mom will do.  She can’t afford anything on her salary and, well she will need to focus on my sisters.  I might have to quit school or go live with…”

Brennon wrapped his arms around his friend.  “Jed, don’t jump to conclusions.  What time do you want to go into town so I can tell Grandpa what time to pick us up and we can move back in with him after we get back.  I like this place but I think it would be good for us to be over there.”

“Ya, I mean, I know there are adults all over the place here but I think I would like to be there.”

Brennon pulled out his phone and called Brian.


Justin arrived at the gallery at noon.  He got right to work on the murel.  He lost himself and the next thing he knew a young intern he had not met before said, “Excuse me, Mr. Taylor, but it is almost 9:00 and security wants to lock up.”

“Oh, shit, I lost track of time.  Oh, and Justin please.  Mr. Taylor was my dad and we never got along.” He tried to stand and groaned. The intern offered his hand and Justin graciously took it. “Thank you.  I sometimes forget I am almost 70 and nearly lost my leg in the outback years ago.”

“Wow, I would have never guessed.”

“Don’t lie to me, young man. Are you my driver tonight?”

“I am, sir.”

“Well, do you have time for dinner? I don’t have anything in my house and I hate to eat alone at a restaurant.  Please, let me treat you for making you stay late.”

“Oh, Mr….Justin. I would enjoy that.”

“Give me five minutes to wash some paint off my hands and would you mind grabbing my bag?” he pointed to the weekender sitting in the corner as he walked down the hall.

Ten minutes later they were sitting in a car and the intern pulled away from the curb.  “I just realized I don’t even know your name.”

“My name is Kevin Gustofson but my friends just call me Gus.”

Justin smiled, “That is the name of one of my favorite people in the world.”

“Your husband’s name is Brian, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it is but my son’s name is Gus.”

“Oh, I didn’t know that.”

“Well, he is obviously all grown up.  He in fact is a grandfather himself.”

“You aren’t old enough to be a great grandfather.”

“That’s nice of you to say but it is a lie. By the way, where are we going?”

“Oh, I hope you don’t mind.  My best friend’s dad has a little hole in the wall diner and they have the best food.  I should have asked. You probably are not a diner kind of guy.”

Justin reached over and patted his Gus’ arm, “Would you believe while I was in college I worked at a diner part-time. You nailed your choice. Please tell me they have a daily special.”

“They do and I told him to save us a couple of them in case you wanted it.  Today it is chicken fried chicken with real mashed potatoes and all of it is covered in gravy. I know that sounds really heavy this time of night but you didn’t stop  all day and he does make it more healthy then you would expect.”

“One question, does he have lemon squares? Please tell me there are lemon squares.”

“I told him to keep a half dozen for you, or whatever he has left.”

“Oh, Kevin, I am glad we met.  So why aren’t you rushing home to a special someone tonight?”

“Well, my boyfriend is out of the country on a school trip so I have been working nights to help with the empty apartment.”  Kevin pulled into a parking lot.. When he left we actually decided it was a free summer.  If we met someone, we both had a free pass and if we find someone we like more….”

Kevin rushed around the side of the car to open the door but Justin had already stepped out.  He looped his arms around Kevin’s and said, “And you think he has found someone else?”

“I do.  I’m sorry, you don’t want to hear…”

Justin started laughing. “I’m the one everyone always talks to.”

“Guster! It’s been too long! A middle aged man came up and hugged Justin’s young companion. And this is the famous Justin Taylor,” he offered his hand to Justin, “I’m Joe. Welcome.  Take any empty table or sit by the counter.

“The counter sounds great to me.  I used to work at a place very similar to this in Pittsburgh 50 years ago. It was my first job.” As Joe had his cook put the plates together, Justin told them about him stealing Brian’s credit card and him working to pay it back. “I ended up paying him back in, lets say, many other ways.” 

“You should bring your husband in.”

“I promise if he comes up for the grand opening, we will come here to eat.  Do you take reservations?”

“For you, Justin, of course.”

By the time they walked out of the car, Justin was exhausted but he felt more content than he had in weeks. “Kevin, want to come up for a nightcap.  I have some amazing bottles of wine.  If you would rather not have a drink, at least let me give you a couple bottles of my favorites.”

“I really do need to go home and”

“Kevin, I’m not making a pass at you, honestly.  I am too tired to even think about that but more than that, I love my husband.  In our day we may have messed around a bit but we don’t play games anymore.”

“Well, maybe one glass. This house looks amazing.  How did you score this place?”

“My son, Gus, designed and built it.  The owner was out of the country and he set it up for me to stay here.”   

After a couple glasses of wine, Kevin said goodnight with a bottle of wine in each hand.  Justin got in bed and slept soundly until his alarm went off.


Every morning about 10:30, Brian drove Brennon and Jed to the hospital.  He had even pulled some strings and with the help of Elliott, a specialist made a special trip to review Jed’s dad’s condition.  By the end of the week when they arrived, the three knew instantly something was different. “Jed, why don’t you stay here while I talk to the nurse.”

“Brian, I think I need to go be with….”

“Son, just stay here with Brennon.  I promise I will come get you in a few minutes.” Brian made eye contact with Brennon who nodded and draped an arm around Jed’s shoulders.

“Brennon, I’m scared.  You don’t think he….what if he dies?”

Brennon guided him to a chair and sat with him.  Over the last couple weeks he had learned a lot about Jed’s home.  Jed knew he was loved but his parents had both come from a really bad family life and they just didn’t have the skills and without his dad…..Brennon was sure Jed was already trying to figure out how he was going to help. Brian walked over and he had the Elliott with him. They were the only four people in this small waiting room and they pulled up chairs facing the boys.  Jed squeezed Brennon’s hand so hard Brennon was afraid he might break a bone.  He put his other hand over top and Jed loosened his grip a bit.

“Jed,” Brian started, “you met Dr. James the other day. Elliott wanted to talk to you.”

“It’s nice to see you, Jed. I just wish it was under different circumstances. Last night your dad took a turn for the worse.  Your mom was here and, I’m sorry, Jed, but you dad passed away.”

“No….” Jed said softly as Bren tried to wrap his arms around his friend.  Jed pushed him away and got up. “I need to see him.  I need to see my mom and my sisters.  Where is he?”

“Son,” Brian walked up to him and put a hand on each shoulder.  “Your dad isn’t here anymore.  I talked to your aunt and she told me where they took your dad.  I will bring you there.”  Brian put his arms around Jed and Jed held on tightly for a long time.  

“Bren,” Brian said softly, “Let your mom know.”


After a stop at the funeral home, they stopped by Jed’s house but although Jed had his key, he could tell things were missing in the house.  Family pictures were gone and he looked in his sisters’ room to find most of their toys were gone.  “Brian, do you think they could be at my aunt’s house.  Maybe mom couldn’t come back here.”

“You get a few of the things you need and I will give her a call.” 

Brennon followed his grandpa out of the house. “Gramps, what’s going on?”

“Jed’s aunt said his mom picked up the girls in the middle of the might, after he had died, and she left.”

“What do you mean she left? She just deserted him?”

“I hate to say it but I think so. I will have Dan,” he paused and then continued, “Tyler start looking for her but let’s wait to tell him until we get home.”

“Grandpa, are you alright? I mean, with Dan….”

“Oh, Bren, your heart is so big.  I am fine.” They heard the door behind them open and they turned to see Jed locking the door before he walked over to join them.


Brinn was waiting at Brian’s house by the time they arrived and went into mother mode.  Everyone in the family already loved Jed so after she had hugged Jed and talked and assured him he would stay right here as long as he needed to.  She suggested the boys bring Jed’s things in and then get some lunch and Bren led Jed into the house. 

Once they were out of earshot, Brinn looked at Brian, “So his mother just deserted him?  How could a mother do that?  Where would she go? Do you think this aunt is telling the truth? That poor…”

“Sweetheart, take a breath. I think she is scared and just doesn’t know what she just did.  It is my guess they don’t have insurance so how is she going to pay for the hospital or the funeral.” Brinn opened her mouth but Brian raised a hand.  “You know I have already taken care of that. I am just worried about the boy.  When officials find out she deserted the boy, they will probably take him.”

“Well, good thing we know a good lawyer.  I know some of those guys but that is Matty’s specialty.  I will call him.  You Ok with keeping them here for now?”

“Sure.  He is comfortable here, or as comfortable as possible.  I will let him know we aren’t sure where his mom and sisters are but I will downplay it for now.”

Brinn hugged her dad, “I just can’t imagine...I was so fortunate. Thank you for being such a good dad.” She kissed him.  “I love you.  I’ll call you after talking to Matty.”

Brian walked in the house and found Brennon setting a sandwich down in front of Jed and then opened a bag of chips. “Hey, Gramps, do you want me to fix you a sandwich?”

“No, I think I can make a sandwich but,” he grabbed a couple chips, “I will take a couple of these.  I will be in the office for a bit but if you need me feel free to knock.”

“Mr. Kinney?” Jed turned and touched Brian’s arm.  “She ran away, didn’t she? At least she took my sisters.  They wouldn’t understand.”

“Understand what, Jed?”

“They wouldn’t understand that Mom just can’t deal with a lot and ….” Brian hugged him.

“Jed, we are going to try to find her.  I promise we will do our best.”

“Mr. Kinney, tell her I will be fine.  I have been in the system before.  I can do it again.”

“Oh, Jed, we are working on that, too.  Just know you are welcome with us.”

Brian passed Jed over to Brennon who gladly took him in his arms, kissed Jed’s forehead.  “I’ll let you know if we need you, otherwise, we will be in my room after we eat.”

“I’m not very hungry anymore.” 

“Let’s just wrap these up and put them in the fridge and we can eat them later.” Jed started to apologize but Brennon leaned close and kissed him lightly, “Just nod and don’t argue.” Bren popped the sandwiches into a container and put them in the refrigerator and then took Jed’s hand and led the way to his room.  Without saying anything he put a movie on and made Jed lay down and he laid next to him, pulling him close.  “You don’t seem too surprised your mom isn’t around.”  Brennon rubbed Jed’s back.

“When I was younger my dad had to do 90 days in jail. I don’t even remember why, but my mom couldn’t deal.  It was just me then and I ended up in foster care.  The whole time Dad was locked up, Mom was finding a new life for us. But then Dad was coming back.  He’s not coming back this time, is he, Bren?”

“No, Jed, he’s not coming back this time.”  Jed looked into Brennon’s eyes and Brennon kissed him.  His hand moved down Jed’s back and settled just at the base of his spine and held him close. Jed placed a hand on Brennon’s ass and squeezed it through his thin shorts. Jed began to take control of the situation. He moved his hand and slipped it into the shorts.  

Brennon felt himself get hard as Jed’s hand touched his bare ass cheek. “Jed, I don’t think this is the right time to….” Brennon’s mouth was again occupied by a kiss.

“Distract me, Bren.  I need something to distract me.”

“I think I know…” Brennon moved down his body and tugged his shorts down.  He reached into Jed’s briefs and pulled out Jed’s cock and before either of them could think, Brennon began to lick it.


Brian talked to Tyler and then sat at his desk.  Tyler was sure he could find her and he would be in touch and then Brian looked at the clock.  He wanted to talk to Justin.  He needed to talk to him but he was still at work. He decided he didn’t care and called him.

Justin knew from the ring it was Brian.  His hands were full of paint but he tried to wipe it off and got the phone just at the last second. “Hey, Bri, is something wrong? You don’t usually call during the day.”

“I’m sorry.  I should have…”

“Baby, what is it?”

“Oh, Sunshine, it’s Jed.  His dad died last night and his mom disappeared with his sisters. He is trying to be brave and Bren is trying to be the best friend but his heart is melting for his friend.  You would know what to say.  You’d know what to do.”

“Oh,” Justin sighed, “I feel so bad for them but you know what to do.  You always doubt yourself but you know what to do.”

“Sunshine, I miss you.  I just wanted to remind you how much I love you.”

“Oh, Brian, I love you, too. I am going to be home by 7:00 tonight.  Call me or I’ll call you.  I want to talk to you.”

“I’ll call you,” and the line went dead. Brian took a deep breath and called Brinn to see what she found out from Matty.

As Brian walked past Brennon’s room, he recognized the sound.  He had no doubt Jed had just cum.  He really prayed it wasn’t inside of his grandson.  It wasn’t the right time for their first time. He wanted it to be special for him the first time.

Brennon moved up Jed’s long, thin body and saw a look of embarrassment on his face. “Oh, Jed, did I do something wrong? I’m sorry.  I just wanted to make you feel better and….I’m sorry.”

“No, Bren, that was …..that was really good but you just ate my spunk?  I mean you took my dick in your mouth and…”

“Jed, I’m gay.  That is just the first of many penises I hope to get to suck on because I really liked it.”

“I don’t know if I can do that.”

“I didn’t do it so you would do it to me.  I did it because I wanted to and I hoped it might make you feel a little better.  At least maybe for a few seconds I distracted you.”

Jed smiled, “That you did and, I really liked it.” 


Over the weekend, social services allowed Jed to stay with Brian but Matty was working frantically to find an answer to keeping Jed out of the Youth Center but there weren’t many people who would take on a 16 year old boy.  

Sunday Brinn was sitting with Matty going over foster parents. “Holy shit!  How could I have forgotten!” Brinn yelled.  She ripped out her phone and called Danny.  

“Hey Brinn, how is it going?”

“I hope it will be going better soon.  How is Marcus doing?”

“He is doing amazingly well.  Whatever he did in Washington, really helped him. Why, Brinn?”

“I am sure you know about Brennon’s friend from Elliott.”

“Ya, it is so sad.  What does that have to do with….. Oh…”

“Marcus still holds a foster parent license, right?”

“Yes!  He and Dad thought about letting it go but because of Hannah and what we went through with Emma, they decided to keep it.  They took the classes just before Dad got really sick.”

“Do you think he is up to it?”

“I think it might be just what he needs. Do you want me to go talk to him?”

“I’ll meet you over there whenever you tell me.”  Brinn was excited now.

“I’ll talk to him and let you know what time to be there.”

An hour later Brinn pulled up to Marcus and Dan’s house.  Brinn realized she hadn't been back since Dan died.  She felt a wave of grief move over her.  As she walked up the steps Danny opened the door. He gave her a hug.  “You’re thinking about all the time we spent here, aren’t you?”

“I am.  Marcus, thanks for seeing me. Danny, have you told him anything?”

“I just got here myself. You go ahead.”

“Marcus, I am sure you know Brennon’s friend has been staying with us.”

“Yes, I heard about the young man’s situation.  Any luck finding his mom?”

“They actually have located her but she is mentally in no state to take Jed back and he really doesn’t want to right now because he knows she would be too stressed plus he is gay and he hasn’t told her yet.”

“Wow, the poor kid.  He has to be torn to pieces.”

“Marcus,” Danny took over, “the court is going to take him to the Youth Center if we can’t find a foster home for him.  I know what that place is like, I just can’t let that happen to him but, even though Elliott and I are foster parents we don’t have a license for teens and you do.”

“Marcus, he is a sweet boy and we will have him at our place as much as you want us to.  In fact, Brennon has become very fond of him.” Marcus sat silently for a bit.  Brinn started to say, “Marcus, we understand…”

“Danny, can he use your old room?”

Danny hugged Marcus, “Of course he can.”

Then it was Brinn’s turn to hug him.   “We have no idea how long this might be.  If we find out it will be long term they would probably be able to figure out something else.”

“Brinn, he needs someone and I have this big house.  Just let me know when to be at social services to sign the paperwork and then we can bring him over here.  Brennon can stay overnight tomorrow if he needs a friend.”

“I’m going to go tell him right now!” Brinn kissed him once more and then hugged Danny before rushing out the door.

By the time Brennon and Jed lay in bed together that night, Jed softly said, “So, what can you tell me about Marcus?  I am sure he is a good guy if he is your dad’s friend.”

“Marcus is a great guy.  When Marcus met Danny, he would have left Dan for the sake of Danny.  He was just a little younger than you when he moved in.  I think it will be a really good place for you and we will only be about a mile apart and we can use the four wheelers back and forth.  I can be there in ten minutes if you need me.”

“Brennon, I’m not ready for sex but do you think we could take our clothes off and…”

Brennon was already pulling his T-shirt off and then slipped out of his shorts and briefs. Jed did the same thing and then the two boys began the exploration. “If I rub that spot does it drive you absolutely nuts?” Brennon asked.  

“Have you ever tried this?”  Jed  demonstrated and then reached out to Brennon’s body. 

It wasn’t long before both boys were at their point of no return.  Together they stroked each other until they both climaxed.  

“That was much better than when I do it myself,” Brennon smiled as he kissed him.

They laid together for a few minutes before Jed spoke.  His tone was serious. “Bren, do you think Mr. Reed will like me? Or is it Reeves?”

“I am guessing it is Marcus and you will be fine.  I can stay with you the first couple nights if you want me to. He won’t care.”

“Would you really do that?  I mean what about your grandpa. Aren’t you supposed to….”

“Gramps is fine.  I wish he would go to Seattle.”

“Maybe he will.” Jed and Brennon talked softly until they fell asleep.


Brian called Justin later than usual. “Hey Brian,” he answered, half asleep.

“Sorry, Sunshine.  I dozed off but I needed to talk to you.”

“What is it? Did something happen? Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.  It was just a stressful day thinking about Jed until Danny and Brinn sorted it out.”

“Danny and Brinn?”

“Ya, Marcus is taking him in.  He still has his foster parent license.”

“Oh, Brian, That is perfect! Why didn’t I think of that? That will be so good for both of them.” Justin was wide awake now. “How is Brennon? What is going on between those two by now.”

“They have definitely done a little exploring but I think they are both interested in learning but taking it slow.”

“I’m glad. I don’t think Jed should be rushing into anything right now. “

“I agree.  I think they are much smarter than I was.  Brennon will probably stay with Jed a couple nights to help with the adjustment.”

“So, you will be alone?” Justin left the question hang in the air.

“I miss you, Sunshine.  How much longer will it be?”

“Two weeks.  I will be home in about 12 days actually.”

“Sunshine, promise me you won’t go away that long again.”

“Darling, when I signed it I thought...Never mind.  I need to get to sleep.  I have a breakfast meeting. We’re going to go over the final arrangements for the opening night.”

“I love you, Sunshine. Good night.”  Brian ended the call. He turned off the light and pulling Justin’s pillow close against him, he tried to sleep.


Brinn called Brian in the morning letting him know that Jed didn’t need to come to the hearing for his placement unless he wanted to.  Marcus would go in at 3:00 to sign some papers and then he would pick the boys up when it was done.

“Grandpa, so we have any more cookies?”

“I don’t think so.  You guys polished them off last night. I can call George and see if he is coming this way today?”

“Could we bake some?” Jed asked.  “I used to bake cookies with my sisters.”

“That sounds like a great idea,” Brennon said as he started pulling ingredients out of the pantry.  They pulled out their phones and looked for a recipe.  Then they looked at the possible ingredients.  “It looks like we have the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal raisin.”

“Could we make oatmeal chocolate chip?”  Jed asked.  “If we leave the cinnamon out of the recipe and replace the raisins with the chips…”

“Let’s go for it.  It sounds good.”

Brian sat by the counter and watched the boys put the ingredients together and then after chilling the dough, they put in the first tray of cookies.  While those baked they filled a second tray.  When the first tray had cooled enough they removed the cookies and filled the tray again. Brian reached across the counter and snatched a cookie off the rack. Brian broke one in half and took a bite. “Hey these are good.”

“Don’t sound so surprised.  They were made with love,” Brennon said.

“I used to tell my sisters that.  We spent a lot of time alone in the evenings so I would bake cookies with them and I told them we baked them with love and now I don’t even know where they are.” Brennan slipped an arm around him. “Mr. Kinney, can I ask you something?”

“Sure, Jed.  I’ve heard you jack off with my grandson.  I think we are good here.”

Jed flushed but went on, “If you love your husband as much as I think you do, why are you here and not with him?  If I could be with my family…” the timer went off just in time to silence the question.

Brian sat there and took a bite of the cookie in his hand and he wondered, why AM I sitting here? Brian walked away with half the cookie still in his hand and he went directly to the office. Brian was busy all day. He told the boys to pack up the cookies and take them along to Marcus.  It was about 3:00 when Brennon knocked  on Brian’s bedroom door, “Gramps, you Ok?” he said as he stuck his head in the door. “What are you doing?”

Brian had a suitcase open on the bed and he had it partially filled. “I’m leaving as soon as Marcus picks you up. When Jed is settled, you will return to your place.  I will be gone until your grandfather is done with his job.”

 Brennon walked over and hugged Brian. “It’s about time, Gramps.  You belong together.  What finally convinced you?”

“It was what Jed said.  I can be with him.  I was keeping us apart, so I called John and he and Tony will be here at 4:00.”

“I’m so glad! How excited was Grandpa.”

“I didn’t tell him and please don’t!  I want it to be a surprise. I talked to the gallery and they are going to keep him there late and then an intern is going to take him to dinner and I will surprise him there.”

“I know I don’t have to tell you this but give him a kiss for me.”  Brennon hugged Brian and kissed him.  “I’m going to go and help Jed finish packing up.”


At 3:50, Brian heard a car, no two.  “Hey guys, it’s time.”

Brian stepped out and greeted Brinn and then nodded at Marcus who stepped out of the second car. “I called to the boys.  They should be right out.”

“I’ll put these in the…” Marcus said but Brian ripped it out of his hand. 

“That is mine!” he tried to lower his voice, “The boys are bringing his stuff.” Marcus saw the boys  and took a bag out of one of Brennon’s hands and brought it to the car having the two boys follow him.  When they got their Marcus turned and offered his hand to Jed.

“Hey, I’m Marcus and you must be Jed.” Jed nodded and shook his hand.   Brennon, your mom says you are going to help him get settled in for a couple days.”

“Does that work for you?”

“That is fine with me. It will be good to have some energy in the house.” Marcus said as he patted Jed’s shoulder.  “Hey, Brinn, I will take these two to the house.  See you there in a little bit?”

“Yes, Jed, I need you to sign a couple things as soon as I talk to dad a minute.”

Once they were gone, Brinn turned and faced Brian.  “Dad, really? Marcus is taking on a teenager because I asked him and you can’t even be polite and a suitcase? What are you doing with a ….” Brinn heard a car pulling up. She was surprised to see John and Tony but then a light went on, “You’re going to Seattle?”

Brian nodded, “John and Tony are flying me there tonight and will fly back tomorrow.”

“Oh, Dad, I am so glad. I guess I will forgive you for your attitude right now.” Brinn turned to see John coming over.

“Miss Thing, It has been a while.”

“It’s been a while since you’ve called me Miss Thing.” John picked her up and twirled her around once. “We need to get together soon but right now I need to get your dad to the plane.  We have a window to get out before a storm moves in.”

“I won’t stop you.  Get him there safe.” Brinn turned back to Brian and hugged him.  “Love you, Dad.” Brinn waved at them as they drove away and then got in her own vehicle and drove away.

Five minutes later, Brinn pulled up to Marcus’ house.  She walked in and hugged Marcus.  She could hear the boys down the hall making a ruckus already. ”I hope you are ready for them. If you get tired of my son, call me.”

Marcus looked down the hall toward the bedroom the boys were in, “I think it is time to get some life back in this house. That doesn’t mean I might not want to pull out my graying hair once in a while.  He sounds like such a good kid who just got hit by a very hard situation.”

“He really is a good kid, and remember, you make the rules about what they can and can’t do and where that can be done.  They are 16 year old boys who are still exploring.  I’m sure they haven’t had sex yet but I am also sure they are working up to it.  And if you need an evening or overnight, Jed is always welcome.”

“Thanks, Brinn.  I have to admit, I think I might need this.”

“I am glad.” Brinn moved a couple steps closer to the hall, “Guys, can you come down here? I need a couple signatures, Jed.”

Soon Brinn was leaving with the signed papers in her briefcase, and the boys were moving back to the room to get Jed settled in.   Marcus walked down there and found Brennon pressing Jed against the wall. “Um, excuse me, guys. I was just wondering what you would like for dinner.”

“Marcus, we are teenage boys, we eat anything and a lot of ir.”

“Lasagna?”

In unison the boys said, “Yes!”

“Great, I have one of George’s in the refrigerator.  And guys, we will talk about the rules during dinner., too. Maybe guidelines is a better word than rules. We all need to just know what the other is comfortable with.”

Marcus disappeared from the doorway and Jed looked nervously at Brennon.  “Are we in trouble? Maybe we better cool it a little.”

Brennon gave Jed a little side hug.  “We’re fine.  He just signed a bunch of papers putting him in charge of your life.  He just wants to let you know what he expects.  I have known Marcus all my life and he is a good guy. My mom and Danny are best friends and have been since he was our age.  Do you trust me?”

“Of course I do.  You are my best friend, maybe more than my best friend,” Jed looked directly in his eyes.  

Brennon couldn’t help himself.  He leaned in and kissed Jed again.  “Let’s get your stuff put away and then check out what games he has here.”


Kevin was asked to help with a surprise but how did he keep Justin Taylor here for an extra hour.  He had avoided him the last hour but he now saw him cleaning up his brushes.  Kevin had told himself he wouldn’t do this but now he felt like it was the only way to keep him here.

“There you are.  You have had a busy day,” Justin walked over to Kevin.  “Are we about ready to leave for the day?”

“I…” Kevin stumbled on his words, “I wasn’t going to even ask you to do this but I brought some of my artwork in today for review, part of my internship requirements.  I would love to show you a little of it.”

Justin could see the nervousness in his young friend and remembered those days.  “I would love to,” he smiled and followed Kevin.

Justin had followed him to the back a little hesitantly.  He really just wanted to go home and eat some left over Chinese and sip some good bourbon while talking to Brian.  All day he couldn’t get Brian out of his mind and he hoped that wasn’t some sort of omen.   But once he saw the young man’s work, he was glad he had agreed.  It was fresh and unique.  It reminded him of himself. He could see Kevin’s skills shining through.  “Kevin this is amazing.  If you ever want to pick my brain or just talk about art, call me. I would love to spend some time working with you.”

“Are you serious? Oh, that would be a dream for me.”

“My family and I live on a vineyard.  We have all kinds of room and a couple different studios.  I know you have your internship here but if you can ever work it out, I would love to play with some sculptures with you.  I am getting a little old to do some of the things I used to so I would love someone with your talent to help out and I would be very willing to write a reference when the time comes.”

“Oh, Justin, are you serious? The reason I had my work here today was because what I had planned for the fall fell through.  I was at the top of the waiting list for grad school but yesterday I was notified everyone had verified they would be attending in the fall so I would not get to go in the fall.   I’m sorry, that’s not your worry.”

“Oh, I’m not worried.  I’m excited.  You would have a private residence.  I am not sure which one yet but we have a couple options. I’ve been wanting to take over the old wine barn and now I have a reason to make it into a large studio.  I can only imagine the projects we can make there.  You don’t have to answer me now. I know there is…”

“There is no one that will stop me from taking you up on this offer. Do you need to talk to your husband or anything?”

“No, we will talk about it tomorrow.” Justin dug out his wallet and handed him his personal business card.  “I am totally serious about this.  And I don’t mean to rush because I love your work but I really need to go home and relax.”

Kevin glanced at his phone, “Sure, I’m sorry.  I should have realized…...And now I have to ask one more favor.  We don’t have to stay more than a couple minutes but that was Joe.  He asked me to stop at the diner.”  Kevin watched Justin tense up but he had to get him to the diner.

Justin’s displeasure was evident in his tone but he didn’t want to sound like a diva. “Just make it quick, please.”


Brian arrived at the diner in his rented car.  He could hardly wait to see Justin.  Maybe it was because he was so old but waiting now was like waiting as a child.  He wanted his husband and he wanted him NOW. Brian walked into the diner and was instantly transferred back to Pittsburgh and Liberty Diner.  He could see why Justin was enchanted. “Joe?” he greeted the man heading his way.

“Mr. Kinney, I’m glad I could help with your surprise.”

“This place just made me homesick.  I love it. Any idea when Justin will arrive?”

“I just let him know you had arrived and they are about fifteen minutes away.  I make a great cup of coffee or are you hungry? I can make….”

“I’ll take a cup of coffee and how about making us a couple meals to go.  Sandwiches would be great.  Maybe a couple turkey on rye?”

Joe smiled, “I’ll have them well wrapped so they will stay fresh in case they are a midnight snack.”

“I’m an old man.  I’ll be lucky to make 10:00.”

“I have seen your husband.  I bet you make it until midnight,” Joe winked at him just as his phone sounded. “About five minutes away.  You don’t have to worry, as adorable as he is, he isn’t my type. I’ve been married to my beautiful wife for almost 30 years.”

“We have been together for 50. We’ve been married 40.”  


“Please make this a quick stop.  I’ll just wait in the….”

“Justin, Joe asked specifically for you to come in.  He has something to show you,” Kevin knew Justin wasn’t happy. “Please, Mr. Taylor, I know it is an inconvenience.”

“Alright,” Justin sighed and as Kevin parked he got out of the car.

In the diner, Brian sat in the last booth with his back to the door.

Kevin walked in ahead of Justin partially blocking his view.  “Hey Justin, thank you for stopping by with Gus.  There was just something that couldn’t wait.”  As Joe finished his sentence he stepped to the side and Justin felt a draw to look around them now and then he saw the back of a head he would know anywhere.

“Brian,” he whispered. “Is that really you?” For a minute Justin thought he was wrong.  Brian was at the vineyard, wasn’t he?

Justin held his breath as Brian slid out of the booth and slowly turned around.

“Hey, Sunshine.  I hope you don’t mind a roommate for the rest of your time in Seattle.”  Justin rushed across the diner until he felt Brian’s arms wrapped around him.  “I love you, Justin.  I’m sorry it took me so long to get here.”