- Text Size +

Chapter 15


The next day Brian and Justin found Adam swimming in the spa.  “Good timing.  I need a break.” Adam turned off the current and switched on the spa bubbles.  Brian and Justin dropped their robes and walked in.  

“Sorry, we didn’t make it last night. We decided we were, um, tired,” Justin said with a smile on his lips as he slid his hand between Brian’s legs.

“No problem.  We had a view of how tired you were.” Adam gestured up at the window and laughed. “Marc and I enjoyed relaxing out here.”

Justin smiled, “We didn’t talk yesterday about today’s activities.  Did you and Marcus plan anything today?” 

“We talked about doing some sightseeing and Marcus had a lead on some tickets to a concert.  We know you have plans for dinner with Daphne.”

“You are welcome to join us you know,” Justin stated.

“We know.  We talked about it and have a feeling there will be another dinner before we go back home and we will join you then.”

“Ya, I was thinking we should invite her here for dinner sometime before going home.  We could grill something and pick up something at the deli.” Brian commented.

Marcus walked up and slipped into the tub with them. The men talked about their plans and it was decided they would go their own ways today.  Marcus and Adam were going to stop by the Reed Agency and then do some sightseeing while Brian and Justin were going to Kinnetik and eventual ending up at Daphne’s. They agreed they would meet up for breakfast at 8:30 tomorrow morning and the four split up for 24 hours.

Brian and Justin spent the day out and about.  They went to a small deli for lunch and called both their kids to check on everything back there and they called Nico to make sure everything at the house was alright.  Kevin was staying at the main house with him this week so Justin also asked how work on the sculpture was going.  After they said goodbye they went back to the garden to relax for a bit before going to Daphne’s.

“Sunshine, you know if you want to spend the evening with Daphne alone, I wouldn’t be offended.  I would just order dinner and watch TV.”

“Of course you are coming. It’s not like the days when I went to cry on her shoulder.  First of all, I have nothing to cry about, Second, I think she likes you more than me.” he kissed Brian playfully. 

“Does she have a lover right now?”

“Brian, that is something I don’t just ask her.  I don’t think she has a steady boyfriend right now if that is what you are asking.  You have such tact sometimes.”

“You love my tact.” Brian smiled as he pulled him over to the sofa. “We have time for a make out session don’t we?”

“I do have a fondness for your tackle,” Justin ran his hand over Brian’s crotch lovingly, “and yes, we have about an hour.” Together they sat down and intertwined their arms and kissed.  After a few minutes Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes, “Bri, everything is alright isn’t it?”

“Ya, why?”

“I don’t want you to think I am complaining because I am not, but, you are being well …. I haven’t doubted your love for me in years but you are acting like you did when you either felt guilty or something was wrong.”

Brian pulled him even closer and he pressed Justin’s head to his chest, “I have been thinking about everything I put you through back then.”

“Brian, we both did stupid things back then.  We were young.  We were both in the limelight at different times.  We both had egos beyond belief.”

“But you usually did it out of the pain I put you through.  Poor Daphe always had a bedroom for you.  I almost wondered if you paid part of her rent just to keep a bigger apartment so there was room for you.”

“Brian, it doesn’t matter. We both had a lot of growing up to do.  We had so much passion and that is good and bad.” The next kiss was full of regrets, passion, and then pure joy of their lives together.

“You still are more mature than I am,” Brian laughed.  “I am so glad you chase me.”

“I chased you? Who came to New York to find me?”

“Well, you weren’t lost and it wasn’t like we had fought.  I just knew you had to spread your wings.  What I didn’t realize was I needed to spread my wings, too.  If I hadn’t come here I would probably have stayed in Pittsburgh and run a decent business but coming here is what made me look to what I could do, not what I had done.”

Justin stood and looked at  Brian.  “I want to freshen up before we go.  You don’t have to.  You look gorgeous as always.”

“Oh, Sunshine, you have become one of the best liars I know.” He laughed and smiled up at him.  “I am going to change my shirt.” He extended his hand and Justin helped him up. 

A half hour later they left the garden and there was a car waiting for them. They held hands and talked about the city as they moved through the streets. They pulled up to a high rise and Justin made sure he had the number of the driver so he could pick them up later and they walked into the building.  The doorman greeted them and, after verifying who they were he let them pass and they took the elevator up to her apartment.  Daphne had moved since the last time they had visited her and when they arrived at the 34th floor they got off the elevator and located her door. It opened before they could knock and they were caught in her embrace.

“I am so glad you could make it this trip.” After letting them go, she ushered them into her home. 

“Wow, this is some view, Daphne.  You told me it was a great view but this is beyond….”

“You’re here at the perfect time of day. The sunset is perfect tonight.” Daphne said as she put an arm around each of them and directed them to the best view.”

“I think the two of you know how to enjoy a view without me.  I will be back with drinks right after I check on dinner. Go ahead and take a seat if you want to.”

“I guess New York City does have something to offer,” Brian commented.

“True, but I’d take the vineyard anyday.”

“I’d take your vineyard anyday, too.” Daphne appeared carrying a tray with glasses and a bottle of wine, along with appetizers. “I hope you aren’t in a hurry.  It will be about an hour until dinner is ready.”

“We are in no hurry.” Brian smiled over at their long time friend who was sitting across from him, next to Justin.

For the next hour they caught up.  They talked about the kids and grandkids.  They talked about how Brian was feeling after his cancer and then they talked about Justin’s surgery.

“When I saw you walk out of the airport I hoped you were doing as well as it looked.”

“I really am. I’m so glad Brian forced me to do this.”

“You know Sunshine better than that.  He has never done anything he hasn’t wanted to do.  He did make Brinn cry one day but she did survive.”

“She didn’t cry! Did she?” Justin looked over at Brian as Daphne squeezed his hand.

“No, but it was close. But we all know that you’re the type that when you are that feisty it is because you are ready for a fight. And you fought your way through it.”

Daphne hugged Justin tightly.  “So your pain is better and I can see your mobility is good.”

“It is probably as good as it was right after the first surgeries.  It should last me the rest of my life.”

When the meal was ready they sat at the table and ate while they talked about so many years ago.  “Remember after you had left for the fiddle player?” Daphne saw Brian pull a face.  “All he could do was smoke and talk about Brian.  He loved you so much already.”

“I know, I was an asshole.” Brian commented, “Not telling him I loved him before that.”

“Well, darling, I have always loved a good asshole.” Justin said as Daphne almost fell off her chair laughing.

“I have missed you so much, Justin.  I was so sorry when you lost Jenn.  She was a special woman.”

“Yes she was and I miss her but I am so glad I got to spend the last years with her. That’s because I have such a wonderful husband that was willing to just up and move for me.”

“So, Daphne, I know you don’t need a man in your life but do you have a kept man hiding somewhere?” Brian asked her.

“Well, now that you mention it, my friend is joining us in about half an hour. He is an ER doctor but he got off about an hour ago so it won’t be long.”

“So does your man have a name? He obviously hasn’t retired yet.”

“Well, he’s a little young to retire.  He will be fifty on his next birthday.”

“You cougar, you.” Brian laughed.

“Age is just a mindset and I still have a lot of life left in me.”

“I am sure you do.” 

Just then they heard the door.  “I’ll be back in a few minutes. I will get him a plate of food and then we will be back.”

Justin looked over at Brian and then moved next to him.  He saw a bit of a far off look on his face.  “What is it, Bri?”

“You should be dating some hot doctor that is 50.”

“Don’t make me hit you. I just got you broke in.  I don’t have time to get another one broke in.” Justin pushed him against the side of the sofa and they began to kiss. 

Brian’s hand moved around to Justin’s ass and he commented, “My tackle appears to still be working.”

“I warned you.” Daphne said to the attractive man that stood next to her. “If you two can stop for a little while, I’d like to introduce you to Charlie.  Charlie this is Brian and this is Justin.”  Charlie shook Brian’s hand and then hugged Justin.

“Daphe has talked about you so much that I feel like I know you.”

“That’s funny.  She hasn’t told me anything about you.” Justin looked over at Daphne.  

“You know I don’t kiss and tell,” she commented.

“Neither do we.  We just kiss and everyone knows,” Brian said. He pulled Justin back into his arms and kissed him.

The next couple hours they enjoyed getting to know Charlie and Charlie could see why Daphne was so fond of them but soon it was time for them to go back to the cottage. After hugs and kisses all around, they said they would try to see each other once more before leaving the city and Brian and Justin were told by the doorman their car had arrived. 

As Brian and Justin rode back to the garden, Brian felt Justin’s head drop on his shoulder, “Everything alright, Sunshine? You’ve gotten very quiet.”

“I’m fine.  I just forgot how much I missed her.”

“I understand that.” He tightened his arms and kissed the top of his head. “We are just so lucky to have so many people we love.”

“We really are.”  

And as they entered the garden and saw light glowing in Marcus’ and Adam’s place they walked hand in hand to their own oasis. They lay in bed and talked until they began to drift off.  “I’m glad we’re here.  I know we came for Marc and Adam but I think it is good for us to be here, too.” Justin said softly.

“I agree.  I didn’t know we had anything to make peace with but just being here, in this place, gives me contentment.  I realize I couldn’t want anything else in my life.  I have everything I could ever want and money makes it nice, but I would be as happy living in Stone House as long as our family is near us.”

“I couldn’t agree more. Good night, Brian.  I love you.”

“Good night, Sunshine.  Love you.”


The days in New York were full of adventure.  Many of the days were spent with the four men wandering through some of Dan’s favorite haunts.  They all went to Dan’s old office and Marcus and Brian signed paperwork to sell that branch. Brian and Dan had both owned parts of each other’s businesses because they had both helped each other out over the years as they expanded the business or went through a rough patch.  No wonder their link was so strong.  They definitely were family. 

As they sat around the fire pit a couple days before going back to California, Adam looked around at the men who had become so important to him.  “Since we can’t change the past, this is as close as it could get to getting to know my brother.  I know how hesitant you were at first about trusting me and I understand that.  I have done well but nothing compared to my brother and I am sure you thought I was just trying to get some of his.  But getting to really know you, has been worth everything.  I feel like I have a family now.”

“You are family.  I know Danny and Hannah feel the same way,” Marcus assured him.  “Now, we have one more night.  Any plans for tomorrow night?”

Justin started to say something but Brian interrupted.  “We do have plans.”

“We do?” Justin looked at Brian and Brian pulled him closer.

“We do. And I’m afraid it is dinner for two.” Brian kissed Justin, who snuggled into his side.

“I am sure we can find something to do. In fact, Marcus, I would like to take you somewhere for dinner, as a thank you.”

“You have nothing to thank me for.” 

“Ok, I’m going to take you to dinner someplace because I want to take my brother in law out for dinner.”

“I would like that.”

“Good, then tomorrow you can help me choose a place if hopefully we can get reservations.” Adam smiled at Marcus.

“It may help since it is in the middle of the week.”  

“I am sure we can find a wonderful place.

“Brian, we are having brunch with Daphe.  Where are we going for dinner?”

“That, my love, is a secret but mentioning brunch, I think it is time for us to get to bed. I am getting tired and tomorrow is going to be a busy day.”

“Sure, baby.  I could use some sleep myself.”  

They said their goodnights to Marcus and Adam and walked hand in hand, into the cottage.

“I am not sure I have ever seen two people that love each other as much as they do.”

“I know.  They’ve had lots of rough spots but for the last twenty  years they have both been a steady support for the other.  As you have heard, Brian was his first and Justin fell in love with him that night.”

“Well, nothing much has changed.  They really do seem to share something I can’t put into  words.”

“And you never will be able to put it in words because no one else is like them.”

“I know Dan felt that way about you.  He told me he did. He said you showed him what love really meant.” Adam hesitated.  “I think he said that because he never felt that from his own family and by the time he said that it was too late for me to be family.  I knew that.  I had lost my opportunity.”

“And that wasn’t fair to you.  You couldn’t help what you were taught.”

“That could be true but after Dad died, I should have run to him.  I should have accepted him with open arms when he came to me but I pushed him away.”

“Adam, Dan would forgive you if he was still here.  Now you have to forgive yourself.”

“I….. I think I could go to bed, too.  I can think of several things I would like to do on my last full day in New York.” Adam stood and offered his hand to Marcus.  Marcus stood and together they walked to the cottage hand in hand.

After they entered the cottage Marcus kissed Adam’s cheek and said, “I know when we met you weren’t that comfortable with physical touching but I can tell that has changed.  Why?”

“I remember how much I did and sometimes still do. I’m not talking about sex, although I miss that, too, but just the day to day interaction with people you love and who love you.”

Marcus walked over and hugged Adam tightly.  Adam wrapped his arms around him in return and Marcus began to sob.  “I miss him so much.”

“I know you do, Marc. I know you do.”  Adam kissed his cheek and rubbed Marcus’ back until Marcus loosened his grip.

“Thank you, Adam. I’m not sure I would have made it being here without you. You are always willing to listen to my stories and understand all my emotions.  Dan was never the emotional one.  He was more the strong, silent type but when he really was upset he would go talk to Brian.  He never wanted me to worry about anything.  He was the ideal example of a husband and father for our family.  If he had loved a woman, he would have been touted as the perfect man by the world.  He didn’t care about that.  He cared that he was perfect for me and our kids.  He fought taking Danny in because he was afraid he would be like his own father but the first time he called him Junior, I wept for joy. He never looked back and when Hannah came along, we were complete.”

“Kids are wonderful and they do make your life so full.”

“I am so selfish sometimes.  You went through most of this yourself.”

“To some extent but I don’t know what it is like to feel deserted by my family.  My family didn’t throw me out.  In fact I really feel like I owe you half of what I have because I ended up with the family money.”

“You know I would never accept anything like that.  I will take dinner tomorrow night though and right now, I need to get some sleep.” Marcus started walking to his bedroom but then stopped and turned around, “When does the aching stop, Adam? When do you get in bed and not feel your cock just need ….”

“That’s the part I haven’t figured out, yet.  I have dated randomly and have had sex a couple times but I have realized, although the sex feels good and you get that hormone rush, when it’s over your soul doesn’t hurt any less.  That lonely spot doesn’t go away.  But, having family has helped fill my soul so maybe now, if I hook up with someone it won’t make me feel worse.”

“That does make sense.  I know I’m not ready for a quick fuck yet.  That was never my style.  I dated women before Dan but I have only been with one other man and,” Marcus gazed at the door in the direction of Brian and Justin’s house.

“You and Justin?”

“What if it was Brian?” Marcus commented.

“He scares  you, or did.  You and Justin? But he and Brian were together….”

“It was with Brian and Dan’s blessing… well that might be a little strong, but they understood.  As great as the sex was with Dan, and oh, god, it was so amazing, I just needed to know I was doing it right for Dan so Justin and I had a weekend.”

Adam had to laugh, “You guys really do look at life differently in some ways.  But, I don’t mean that in a bad way.  It is obvious how much you loved my brother and as long as he was happy and you were happy…. That’s all that counted. And someday, if we are both really lucky, we can take a trip here with new partners.  And not that we will have forgotten our firsts but we will be able to sit around and talk about them with fond memories.”

Marcus smiled and nodded, “Good night, Adam. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Good night, Marc. I’ll see you in the morning.”


Brian and Justin held hands as they laid in bed, “Where are we going tomorrow night?”

“That, young man, is a surprise.” Justin rolled closer to Brian and let his hand slide over Brian’s naked body. It moved lower and began to stroke his dick softly.  “That might have worked back in the day but I am too tired to make anything work tonight.”

“Your mouth works just fine.” Justin kissed him, moving his hand from his cock to his chest.  “That’s all I need to tell me,” his mouth trailed from Brian’s to his jawline, “what we are going tomorrow.”

“Sunshine, that wouldn’t have worked if I was drunk. I’m stone cold sober right now, or close.”

“You know I hate surprises,” Justin said as he rolled off of him.

“No, I know you love surprises.  You just hate waiting.” He brought Justin’s hand to his mouth and kissed it. “Now, close your enchanting eyes and go to sleep.  We need to leave by 10:00 at the latest and then we need to make sure we are back here in time to put on our tuxes and…”

“Tuxes? I don’t have my tux here.”

“Oh, but it is.  I had them overnighted and we will pick them up at Daphne’s tomorrow.”

“Bri, you’re killing me here.”

“No, Sunshine, I’m loving you.” He rolled over and pinned Justin down. “Now, to take your mind off of it,” Brian moved down Justin’s body and took his cock into his mouth and, although some things didn’t work as well as when he was 40, he still had one of the most talented mouths Justin had ever felt.  Everything around him faded as Brian brought him higher and higher.


The next morning Marcus and Adam were out of the garden before Brian and Justin.  They had decided to take the ferry and do some sightseeing for the day.  Brian and Justin got ready for brunch with Daphne.  Justin tried to convince Brian to tell him the plans for the night but of course, Brian wouldn’t give in.  They let Daphne know when they were on their way to pick her up and when she arrived at the car she had a garment bag with her.

“So Daph, did he tell you what we are doing tonight?”

Daphne wrapped her arm around his shoulder,  “Of course he did, but you know I am not going to tell you.” She kissed Justin’s cheek and laid her head down on his shoulder.  “I am going to miss you when you leave.  Now that we have spent time together I realize how much I miss you.”

“Even with Charlie warming your bed?”

“Charlie is a wonderful man and….” the car stopped in front of the restaurant and they got out. “We’ll talk once we sit down.”

Brian led the way and the three of them were shown to their table. Once they ordered their food, Daphne continued talking.  Charlie is a great guy and the age thing doesn’t bother me at all. He is the first man, since Gale…”

“How long has it been since Gale left now?  I know Dahlia was young,” Brian asked.

“Over 20 years. Obviously over the years I have had to talk to him.  The 25 year old he left me for left him ten years later.  I think I told you that.  He tried to crawl back then but that wasn’t happening.  I knew I should have listened to my own advice when I said I was never getting married although I am glad I did because I wouldn’t have Ally… excuse me, Dahlia, she doesn’t like that old nickname anymore. He isn’t doing so well.  His company has been on a down slide and he has had health issues.”

Justin hugged her.  “It was all his loss.  So tell us more about Charlie.”

“He really is a wonderful man.  He is mature and responsible and he treats me well and…”

“Will you try marriage again?”

“No, but I will share my place and I hope he will move in soon.”

“And Dahlia likes him?” Brian asked.

“She loves him because he loves me.”

“Bring him out for a visit.  Next spring when it is still nasty here.  We have plenty of space.  Brinn and Gus would love to see you.”

“I’ll talk to Charlie about it.  You are right.  In March or April it would be a great vacation.” 

Their food came and they ate and talked.  At one point Justin left to use the restroom, Brian was relieved to have a minute to talk to Daph.  “So everything is in place, right?”

“Yes, Brian, you are expected at the Rainbow Room at 7:30.  Somewhere around 9:15 or 9:30 the band will play ‘Save the Last Dance’.  You just have to signal them when you are ready for it.”

“Thanks, Daphne. I don’t have any connections, well, not many connections here anymore.  I can’t believe you could get us in there.”

“Well, you can make it up to me by sending me some of that amazing wine you produce.”

“Just let us know what you want and we really would like for you to come out and visit.” Brian laid a hand on her arm.  You are always welcome.”

“I will do that, with or without Charlie,” she glanced and saw Justin coming.  “He’s on his way but check out the bottom of your bag.  I added a little something in there.”

“Why did you two stop talking as soon as I walked up?” Justin asked suspiciously.

“Well we were planning the affair we hope to start but time and distance is a problem,” Brian said as he pulled Justin into his chair and kissed him. Daph promises to come in the spring.”

“That will be perfect.  I have loved being here but I miss the vineyard and our kids and grandkids.”

“And I bet Gabe has grown like crazy since we have seen him.” Brian added.

“Good thing they will all be coming over for Thanksgiving in a little over a week.” Justin got a far away look for a moment.  “And with Nico around, I will have plenty of help with dinner.”

“I guess there is a benefit to having help that comes from another country.  He won’t go home for Thanksgiving.”

“No, but he will be going home to Italy for about a month in December and January.”  Daphne listened quietly as the two men talked. Justin looked at her and smiled, “I’m sorry.  We are probably boring you with our mundane conversation.”

“No, Justin, I was just thinking how amazing it is that you two are still so in love and what a wonderful life you have built.  Even through everything you’ve had to deal with, Your love hasn’t wavered.”

Brian brought Justin’s hand to his lips and kissed it. “It hasn’t been easy but it has been worth every minute.”

Eventually, it was time to leave.  Daphne had plans so they said their goodbyes on the sidewalk.  Brian gave the old friends a little space.  As they hugged, Daphne said, “I will come out in the spring.”

“Oh, please do.  We can’t let it be so long at our age. We could send the plane for you if you would like that.”

“We’ll talk after the holidays and, Justin, enjoy your night.”

“Now that’s not fair.”

She looked to the car where Brian was waiting, “He really is something special. I love you, my friend.”

“I love you, too, Daph, and I know he is one of a kind.” Justin opened the cab door for her and after one more hug and kiss, Daphne was gone.  Justin slowly walked to his waiting car and slid in next to Brian,who opened his arms, knowing he would need a hug.  “I don’t know why I am feeling so blue.  Daph is happier than I have seen her in years and I believe she really will come to visit this spring.”

“You’re sad because she is your oldest friend.  You have known her longer than you’ve known me.  You love her almost like you love Molly.”

“You’re right.  So what are we going to do now?”

“We are stopping at Kinnetik.  Think we can borrow your old office for a little while and try out the desk?” Justin kissed Brian thinking about how many times they had sex in his office. 

“I want to save my energy for….”

“Brian Kinney, don’t tease me when I don’t know what is going on.”

“Did you notice the chill in the air? I wouldn’t be surprised if it snowed tonight.”

“We’ll be able to fly home tomorrow, won’t we?”

“I don’t think the weather is supposed to be that bad and John and Tony are landing about now so John can get a good night sleep and fly us home tomorrow afternoon.  I think we should go back to the secret garden and maybe spend half an hour in the hot tub and then relax for a couple hours.  I really am not trying to rub it in.  I just know it is going to be a late night and I don’t want to be too tired to enjoy it.”

“That sounds like a great way for us to spend our last day here.”

Brian and Justin made their stop at Kinnetik and Brian picked up what he needed to bring back to California with him and when they arrived back at the garden, they undressed and put on their robes and as snow began to fall, they walked out to the hot tub. As steam rolled off the water they dropped their robes nearby and moved quickly into the warmth.  They both sighed as they relaxed.  

“I won’t ask what we are doing tonight.  Obviously, I need to wear my tux and we are going somewhere for dinner. And it will be a late evening.”

“That’s exactly right.  I put your tux in our room and I put mine in the second bedroom.  I know it’s silly but I just want it to be special. It’s been a while since we had a night like this.”

“Thank you, baby, for making it special. You never just  let it get boring.”

Brian pulled him close, “You are worth every second of everything I have ever done for you. And if I could, I would go back and live it all again.  Hopefully, I would be smarter the second time around.”

“I would love to live those 50 years over with you.”

“Even with all the bad that went on?”

“If it led back to you, where else would I be?”  Justin kissed him and for the next several minutes they kissed and touched  and just enjoyed each other’s presence.  When they felt chilly, they rushed to their robes and then walked quickly back to the cottage.  Once inside, Brian told Justin he would be right back and stepped into the guest room.  He unzipped the suit bag and found his tux and shoes and then in the very bottom he found a white silk scarf.  Daph was right.  This was exactly what he needed tonight.  He walked back to their bedroom and found Justin already between the blankets of the bed.  Brian slipped in next to him and, after setting an alarm, they both fell asleep. 

Justin woke from his nap before the alarm and kissed Brian below his ear, on his chin, and then ran his tongue along his jawline. When his mouth got close to Brian’s, Brian turned his head and met Justin’s mouth.  

“Hey, looks like you beat the alarm.”

“Well, I enjoyed the nap but I have been awake off and on.  If we are going to get ready separately, you better move to the other room.  I’m going to get in the shower.”

“I’ll see you in an hour.  Maybe we can have a drink before we leave.”

“It takes me a lot longer to look good then it used to,” Justin laughed.

“Sunshine, you are always gorgeous.”  Brian kissed him once more before getting out of bed and he strode across the room naked. “See you in an hour.” He walked out of the room.

He wasn’t sure why, but Justin was excited and nervously anxious.  Brian always gave him the best surprises. He wanted it to be perfect, whatever it was.  He showered, taking time to do a little manscaping.  He doubted Brian would even notice but he would know. As he dried off he rubbed over the scar that was now less noticeable. He put lotion on his skin and then moved to the sink and did a close shave.  He trimmed his eyebrows and checked his nose and ears for hair.  He had to laugh.  The first night he was with Brian he barely shaved.  Now there were days he wished he had a little less hair, although on his head, he was glad he still had enough.  He styled his hair, noticing all the gray.  He was lucky his hair was light in the first place.  He knew it was noticeable but it looked good.  Brian’s hair was still thick and, although he had gray at the temples and streaked in his hair but it was mostly still dark.   Justin shook his head to snap out of his thoughts.  He had definitely gained weight but thankfully he had been able to keep it at bay.  He was in relatively good shape. As he pulled on his socks he started thinking about Brian’s body and he felt his cock twitch.

Next door, Brian had also showered and shaved. He did the same grooming regiment Justin did and then sat down to pull on his socks.  He hoped Justin enjoyed the evening.  He wanted it to be perfect.  He had pre ordered their meals.  He hoped Justin liked his choices.  He had several bottles of sparkling wine reserved on ice. It was from his own special reserve and he had to  send two cases to the restaurant to get them to work with him after Daph had gotten the reservations for them.  They realized a close relationship with Kinney Taylor Vineyards would have several benefits for the restaurant and had then offered him anything he wanted.

Brian stood in front of the mirror.  He ran his fingers through his hair and got it just right.  He had the white silk scarf around his neck but it was under his jacket.  If Justin saw it that was fine but if he didn’t it would be a great surprise.  One more look in the mirror and Brian walked out of the room and went downstairs to pour two glasses of wine.

Justin slipped on his shiny black shoes.  He was all for casual jeans and T-shirts but he did enjoy dressing up once in a while. He looked at his image from all angles, making sure the jacket was laying correctly.  His phone rang just as he picked it up to put it into his pocket.  He looked at who it was and answered it. “Hey Brinny.  How are you, sweetheart?”

“Hi Daddy.  I just wanted to make sure you are still coming home tomorrow.”

“We are.  We will be back sometime late in the afternoon.”

“Do I need to do anything at your house?”

“No, Nico has everything in hand. We have had a great time but I am ready to go home.”

“Are you having a quiet evening at home tonight?”

“Don’t act dumb, Brinn.  You have not ever been dumb.  I know you helped your dad with his plans for the night.  Do you know what we are doing?”

“Of course I do.   You are going to have such a nice time.  And don’t act like he told you because I know he won’t.  Send me a selfie.  I bet you both look stunning.”

“Well, thanks, dear, I am about to go see your dad now.  He went down a few minutes ago.”

“Love you and tell Dad I love him to.  I will come by tomorrow evening.”

“I love you, too, Brinn.  I will see you tomorrow.”  He dropped his phone in his pocket, and after one more glance in the mirror, he opened the door and headed down the circular staircase.

Brian heard the door and stood at the bottom looking upward.  As Justin came around the first round, he took in a deep breath. His heart skipped a beat as the beautiful man descended the steps. “Oh, Sunshine, you are as perfect as you were that first night.  No, more perfect because  you are no longer a child.”

Justin accepted Brian’s hand as he came down the last couple steps and Brian kissed him lightly.  “Oh, shit, I almost forgot.” Brian walked to the fridge and opened a crisper drawer and pulled out a small box.  Inside of it there were two red rose boutonnieres. “I hope you don’t mind. I had the cleaner pick these up and put them in there earlier today.  Brian pinned it on Justin and then handed Justin the second one and he pinned it on Brian. 

He let his hand graze Brian’s smooth cheek.  “This is perfect.  You are perfect,” Justin said as Brian caught his hand and left a long, lingering kiss on the palm. Justin was sure he felt a weakness in his knees that had nothing to do with his age.  Brian held that hand and led him to the sofa where he had the wine ready.  They both sat and Brian handed a glass to Justin.

“Sunshine, I am so glad we took this trip.  It was the perfect way to walk down memory lane.  We had so many wonderful times here.  Well, and not so wonderful times, but this place made us who we are and I would not want to have done the last 50 years with anyone but you.”

“Oh, Brian, I can’t even imagine a life without you. I wouldn’t be who I am today.  You have made my life everything I could have wished for.” He sipped the wine as he got lost in Brian’s bright eyes. He leaned forward and kissed him.  “What time do we need to go?”

“The car should be here in about five minutes.  Let me help you with your overcoat.” They helped each other into their black, wool coats. 

Justin reached up and smoothed Brian’s collar. “You are still the  most handsome man I have ever met.” He pulled him down and the kiss went on until Brian’s phone beeped.

“Car….we need to go.” Brian’s voice was a bit shaky from the depth of the kiss.  “Sunshine, I love you.”

“The feeling is mutual, stud.” Justin smiled up at him, lightening the mood.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

They walked hand in hand out to the car and the driver assisted them into the back seat. Snow had been accumulating all day and the temperature was dropping. Justin watched out the window trying to guess where they were going and when they pulled up in front of the Rainbow Room.

“Really, Brian? The Rainbow Room? I didn’t think this was your favorite type of place.”

“I promised you a night  of dancing and I have heard this is one of the best places in New York City.” He stepped out and reached back for Justin’s hand.  Brian rested his hand on the small of Justin’s back.  He was not letting this man out of his sight tonight. He was too beautiful to leave alone.”

They took the elevator up to the restaurant and as soon as Brian gave his name, they were escorted to one of the best tables in the dining room.  They had barely sat down when appetizers were brought to the table and the sparkling wine was poured.

“I hope you don’t mind, Sunshine, but I ordered our meals.”

“I’m sure you picked well.  This view is amazing, both of the city and of the room. The snow makes this all enchanting.”  Justin looked around for a moment and saw the couples dancing. There were men and women, and women and women, and men and men.  The thing that was the same was the joy on their faces. “Brian, thank you.  This is the perfect ending to a memorable trip, both old and new memories.”

The entrees were brought out and they continued to chat and eat as they shared bites and had to touch from time to time.  Several people walked past and looked at them either recognizing Brian or Justin or both.  An old business acquaintance stopped by and said hello to Brian but moved on quickly, knowing they were interrupting a special evening. As they finished the main course, Brian looked at Justin, “Will you dance with me?” 

As they stood Justin heard the notes of a song oh so familiar.

♪You can dance every dance with the guy

Who gives you the eye, let him hold you tight

You can smile every smile for the man

Who held your hand beneath the pale moon light

But don't forget who's takin' you home

And in whose arms you're gonna be

So darling, save the last dance for me♪

 

Justin and Brian had relived their special dance several times.  Justin still couldn’t remember the original dance but by now he could picture all of it. Brian took him in his arms and then soon Brian reached under his jacket and pulled the silk scarf and put it around his neck, pulling him close. Nearing the end of the song Brian’s mouth brush Justin’s ear.  “Sorry, I can’t pick you up and spin you like I did at prom.”

“Oh, Brian, my heart has been spinning since we arrived.” Their lips connected and everything but the music disappeared.  As the music concluded, the other customers applauded. The next song began and they continued to dance for a few more songs before they went back to their table and shared a dessert.

“Sunshine,” Brian ran his hand down the silk scarf and then took Justin’s hand, “I …..  I really don’t know how to put into words how much you really mean to me.  Without you, I would be a heartless, bitter old man who never learned to love, if I was still alive. Instead I have your heart right here,” he tapped his chest, “and the love you share with me everyday of your life.” Brian reached into his pocket and pulled out a box. “I know this pales in comparison to what I actually feel but I hope it will be a bit of a reminder if I am ever an asshole and you need to be reassured. Justin Taylor, I love you.” Brian opened the box and pulled out a diamond pinky ring.  He slipped it onto Justin’s finger. 

“Oh, Brian, it is beautiful.  And it fits perfectly.”

“Justin, one more dance?” Brian stood and offered his hand while Justin stood and took it.

After a couple more songs Justin pressed his pelvis against Brian and softly said, “Let’s go to our secret garden.” He led the way to the coat room where they collected their overcoats and let the driver know they were on the way down.  While in the elevator, Justin leaned against Brian as Brian’s hand rested on Justin’s back, pulling him tightly against him. “You are too good to me, Bri. Tonight has to be in the top five best.”

“Oh, Sunshine, I’m glad you enjoyed it but I can think of several nights that were a lot more um,” he rubbed Justin’s fly, “more fulfilling.”

They walked out of the elevator and out to the car.  Once they were comfortable in the back they continued to talk. “Brian, this night has nothing to do with sex, just like most of the special nights didn’t.    The night Gus was born I have to admit that sex was a big part of it but the night Brinn was born.  The night you stood up to my dad and told him to fuck off and took me out of there.  Our wedding was of course very special, and not just because of the sex. Of course there were other great times but Brian, what I’m trying to show you is that it is your heart I love the most.  I think you still have a hard time believing that after 40 years I don’t love you for your body, although that has just been a glorious side benefit.  I love you for all the good you do and even for all the shit you have pulled.  I love you.  I adore you.  I need you to breathe.”

“Damn, Sunshine,” Justin heard the emotion in his voice.  “I don’t deserve you.”

“Hell, Kinney, we deserve each other.  Who else would have us?”


The car pulled up in front of the garden gate and they moved from the car to the pathway leading to the gate.  Justin pressed Brian against the wall and kissed him. He began to move up and down Brian’s body warming them both up.  “If you want to make love, I promise I am ready.” He rubbed his own, “God, am I ready, but…

“Let’s go inside before we both turn into snowmen and are too cold to warm up.”  Once they entered the cottage they moved up the stairs hand in hand and then into the bedroom and as they entered it was like they went back in time 45 years. Brian began taking off Justin’s clothes as they moved toward the bed and once he had it off he pushed Justin onto his back.  Brian then quickly undressed and soon Brian had positioned Justin on his stomach and had pillows under his hips so Justin’s ass stuck up a bit and then for the next half hour, Brian kissed and probed every inch of Justin’s body until he could barely control himself. Brian then stretched out over top of him and slowly entered him. Brian hadn’t felt this strong in years.  He drove into Justin with such force, Justin cried out but Brian kept going and by the time he exploded Justin was nearly ready to come again.

Brian turned Justin over and this time he took him into his mouth and brought Justin over the edge once more before collapsing next to him. “God, Brian, that was….are you alright?”

“I’m fine! In fact there was a time when you would say I was fine.”

“Brian Kinney, you were more than fine but that was a very strenuous…”

“Shut up, Sunshine, before you ruin the afterglow.” Brian pulled him close. “Ready to go home?”

“I am. I miss our kids.  I miss Brennon cautiously asking sex questions and hearing Zander talking about his latest girlfriend.  Not to mention seeing Gus and Brinn.  I’m sorry.  Remember when afterglow meant we talked about what we would do the next time we had sex.”

Brian laughed deep in his chest, “I love sex but talking about our kids is so much more ….. Well so much more us now.  Our self centered life became so much more.” Brian kissed the top of Justin’s head.  “I think we need to get a little sleep before it is time to get up and pack.”

“Good night my love. Tonight was beyond perfect.”

“Good night, Sunshine.  I love you.”


Brian and Justin slept in late and the remainder of the morning was filled with packing and making sure everything in the cottage was back where it should be.  Neither of them were moving very quickly but both of them couldn’t stop smiling.  Everytime Justin saw the ring on his finger he kissed Brian again.

When it was time, Brian, Justin, Marcus, and Adam brought their luggage out to the courtyard and soon the driver had arrived and put the luggage in the trunk while the men got in the back seat.  Marcus and Adam listened to the story of their magical night and soon they were at the airport and saw John and Tony waiting at the airplane and as final checklists were completed and the suitcases were stored,  Brian and Justin sat in the back row and before the plane took off they were already dozing.

An hour later Justin woke and slipped out of Brian’s arms.  He sat next to Marcus on the sofa and draped an arm around his shoulders. Adam was on his computer doing some work nearby. “That was some night you had last night.  When Brian throws a party he always does it right.”

“Marc, are you ready to go home? Do you feel like it’s time?”

“I do.  I feel like in the last two weeks, Dan has settled and now I can, too.”

“I’m so glad.  Are you as anxious to see your grandkids as I am to see mine?”

“Yes, I am so glad it is Thanksgiving next week so Hannah can come and Adam is staying until after the holiday.  It will be hard without Dan but we are still a family and Dan would want to go on and do what families do.”

“Of course he would.  And he would be proud of you all.”

“Sunshine?” Brian’s eyes fluttered open.

“Coming, Bri.” Justin kissed Marcus’ cheek, “Love you, Marc.” Justin slipped back into the seat next to Brian.

Brian put his arms around his husband and said, “I knew you couldn’t have gone far but I never worry anymore.  You always come home to me.”

 

“Where else would I go, Brian.  You are my home.”