- Text Size +

Chapter 6


Brian hadn’t felt this kind of tired for a very long time. Brennon had run him for hours and he had eventually found a bench and handed him a credit card.  When they finally got home, Brennon poured Brian a glass of iced tea and told him to go relax.  

Brian took a couple swallows of the tea and then walked out to the pool. He set the glass down and opened the refrigerator in the outside kitchen and grabbed a beer.  He glanced at the door and stripped before getting into the hot tub. Every muscle ached as he sat down in the warm water.  This time of the year they didn’t keep the temperature high but the moving water on his skin helped him relax as his head dropped against the headrest. He swallowed the last of the beer and as he set the bottle down he felt it being pulled out of his hand and an ice cold one replacing it. He opened his eyes and looked up to see Gus pulling off his work jeans and slipped in next to his dad. 

“This is just the perfect temperature.”

“Ya, warm enough but not cloyingly hot.” Brian took a swallow of the fresh beer.

“Brennon said he may have been a little hard on you today.”

“He didn’t call you, did he?”

“No, nothing like that.  I just got off work a little early and thought I’d say hi.  I’m going to Trenton’s house tonight and…”

"Shelby seems to have taken on a new attitude to the two of you.”

“She has.  She saw us together on the Fourth and she decided…”

“You had sex at your house before we got there?”

“No, Pops, she just saw us loving each other and she realized it really was love and not just sex.”

“Good.  You can finally be you.  Is he moving in? He could just as…”

“No, that’s not happening.  First of all, Pen’s place is so amazing he would never give it up but I wouldn’t put that on Shelby. She’s cool with it but that just wouldn’t be fair to her, well any of us.”

“I think I understand.”

“Let me guess, you’re both naked in there,” Brennon said as he walked up.

“Oh well, if you can’t beat um, join um.” Brennon set down his soda and took off his shirt and shorts and then  walked to the steps of the tub, closed his eyes and took off his briefs before immediately going down the steps.

“You do know that you shutting your eyes doesn’t make you go invisible, right?”  Gus joked with his nephew.

“Well, it's obvious you both have seen plenty of junk in your lives.  Should I be embarrassed by anything you saw?”

Brian and Gus let their eyes meet for a split second.  Gregarious Brennon was letting his insecurity show for just a moment.  They let it go for the moment.  Gus talked with them for a few more minutes and then he stood and moved out of the tub.  “Speaking of junk, I have some waiting for me. Oh, Pops, have you talked to Dad lately?”

“I talk to him every day, Gus.”

“Everything going alright up there?”

“He seems to be having a great time,” Brian said and then emptied his beer.  “Can you grab me one of those?”

Gus got him a new beer and looked at Brennon, “Cut him off.  This is his third.”  

“Little Shit,” he mumbled as Gus rushed off.

Brennon smirked, “He is just watching out for you, Gramps.  What would you like for dinner?”

“We could just have a frozen pizza or grill some burgers or chicken. I hope to have a nice talk with Justin tonight and then go to bed early.”

“Burgers sound good to me and we just picked up beef and rolls so that will be easy to put together.”

“Brennon, you know you don’t have to cook for me, right? And if you want to have friends over or go to a friends….  Do you have someone you are interested in? Someone that makes your dick twitch?”

“Grandpa….” Brennon turned six shades of red.

“Brennon, you know I don’t beat around the bush.  You are a great looking kid and be assured your ‘junk' is just fine.  I don’t want you to think I was staring but as a grandfather, I’m proud to have such beautiful grandchildren.  You shouldn’t doubt that you are physically beautiful but more important, you have your grandpa Justin’s heart. Any young man would be lucky to have you in his life. Is there someone you have an eye on?”

“Well, ya.  Maybe I’ll see if he can come over some afternoon and use the pool.  He doesn’t have one of his own.”

“He is welcome to come up and I can pick him up or drop him off or whatever.  And he could spend the night if that works better.”

“Thanks, Grandpa.  How did you know I was….”

“Because you are a nearly 16 year old who is like every other 16 year old.”

Brennon moved over and hugged Brian and then kissed his cheek, “You really think I am like Grandpa.”

“I really do.” He hugged him tight for a minute.

“You miss him, don’t you?”

“I think it is time to get dinner started before I fall asleep.” Brian stood up, unembarrassed of his nakedness, and walked into the house without answering his grandson.


Brian and Brennon had burgers and a salad together for an early dinner.  When they finished eating Brennon stood and brought his dishes to the sink and then started to clean up.  Brian walked over to him and hugged him like he had hugged Justin so many times. He kissed Brennon’s cheek and then softly said, “Go have some fun.  You have been with this old man all day.  I’ll clean up and then I have a date with your grandfather so I probably won’t see you again tonight.  Of course if you need me….”

“I’m fine, Grandpa.  Thanks!” He kissed Brian before moving out of the kitchen.


Justin was glad the week was up.  Marcus had started getting quieter as the week went on.  He knew Marc had been visiting places he had gone with Dan and by tonight, Marcus had feigned a headache and went to his room as soon as they shared a light dinner. A half hour later, Justin had made a cup of tea and tapped on the door, letting himself in.  Marcus was sitting in a chair staring out the window into the darkening night. “Marc, I made you some tea.”

“Thanks, but I….”

“Marcus, remember that famous punch I made the first night?” Marc nodded.  “Same magic ingredient.  Drink this and go to bed.  The next two days are all yours and I think we can work our way through the city.  I will leave you alone but if you need me, you know where to find me.” He set the tea on the table next to him and kissed Marcus, “I love you, my friend.”

“I love you, too, Justin.” He picked up the tea, “Thank you.” Justin saw the first tear slip from Marc’s eye as he turned to leave the room.

Justin grabbed a glass, a bottle of Jack, and a blanket and went to sit on the deck looking over the sound and waited for Brian’s call.  Brennon had texted him about half an hour earlier and said Brian was going to call him soon.  He missed his husband so badly but they both needed a little space.  Brennon said he was doing good and seemed to be a little less sullen the last couple days.

As Justin poured a second glass his phone vibrated and his heart fluttered.  “Hi Bri, how was your day shopping with Bren.”

Justin was sure he could hear Brian smile, “I love all our grandkids but that young man…. He wore me out but it was fun.  What have you been up to?”

“I’m making good progress.”

“Does that mean you’ll come home early?”

“I’m on schedule so, no, I doubt early but I should be done on the scheduled date.  Do you think you will come up for the grand opening?”

“I don’t know. You’re coming home next next Friday, right?”  Brian let his loneliness seep through his voice for a moment.

“Oh, yes, darling.  I’ll be there.  I miss you so much. Marcus is ….” Justin heard Brian almost grunt.  “I’m sorry you can’t seem to see he is hurting.  I expect it to be a rough weekend for both of us, but especially him.”

“Don’t let him tire you out.  You have worked hard all week and if he….”

“Brian, please, I have been aching to talk to you all day. I don’t want to argue.” Justin emptied his glass.

“I’m sorry, Sunshine. I just ….I love you and I ….. It’s going to be a long week. I want to see you so badly.  I want to feel you next to me.  Tomorrow Bren might have a friend over and if our grandson ... “

“Oh, Bri, I wish you were... Never mind.  Next Friday I will be home and I hope we can spend Saturday in bed.”

“Sunshine,” Brian’s low chuckle made Justin shiver with need for him.  “I don’t have the energy to spend the whole day in bed anymore.”

“Oh, darling, I just want to feel your arms around me.  I am just so lonely sleeping alone.”

“You’ve really been sleeping alone?”

“Bri, we have shared a bed a couple nights but it had nothing to do with sex, just comfort.”

“Maybe you can get enough done this week that you won’t have to go back.”

“Brian, I’ll be home for the weekend but I will be coming back here at least two weeks, probably three weeks after that.  I signed a contract. Can’t we just talk about our family, about our vineyard, about how it feels to lie next to each other…..” Justin was just exhausted with this conversation.  He just wanted to have his old Brian back.  He wanted him to try to …. “Brian, I’m getting a headache.  I think I better get out of the chilly night air.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Sunshine….I’m….I love you.”

“I love you, too, Brian,” and with that he ended the call.  He moved into the house and when he got to the bedrooms, he undressed in his room but then walked across the hall to Marcus’ room.  He saw that Marc was asleep so Justin slipped into bed, naked, and moved up behind him, draping an arm around him.

Marcus mumbled, “You don’t have to…”

“I need you tonight, Marc.”  

Marcus turned around and kissed Justin, pulling him close. “Ok, Justin,” and he drifted back to sleep.

Justin was almost relieved he went back to sleep.  He wasn’t sure how strong he was right now.  He missed Brian so much but he was also angry with him. He knew Brian wasn’t doing it on purpose but couldn’t he see he was hurting, too.  Dan was his friend, too.  Everyone seemed to need him.  Maybe coming back to Seattle alone after his visit home was a good thing. He just needed to get lost in his work. He could take care of himself if he had to but he needed time.

The next morning Justin woke and felt Marcus’ lips on his. For a moment he deepened the kiss but then he woke more completely and moved back a bit.  “Good morning.  Hope you don’t mind I bunked in here.”

“Of course not.  Is everything alright?  I think I remember you getting in and saying something about needing company.  Did you talk to Brian last night?”

“I did. I just miss him so much but I will not break my contract.  Right now it is my secure place.”

“I’m not making things easier on you, am I?”

“I have loved you visiting, Marc.  You and I both know this might be a hard couple days but then I think next week, hopefully, you’ll be able to enjoy your time here.” They had talked about Marcus’ heavy feeling growing all week and how Justin going with him to these spots might help him face the memories and see them for what they were, the good adventures they had, not the opportunities they had missed.

“Let’s take a shower.  I’ll scrub your back if you’ll scrub mine.”  Marcus said as he slid out of bed.  Justin had to admire his body as he walked across the room.  He was a good looking man and he hoped, eventually, Marcus would find someone that could make him happy.  If Brian ever came around they might include him once in a while but right now that would never happen. Justin followed him into the bathroom, hoping this wasn’t a mistake.

As they soaped each other’s body, Marcus reached down and stroked Justin’s cock.  It was only a matter of moments before he was hard and Marcus was, too.  He reached over and began doing the same for Marcus and soon they both stood their with eyes closed in their own thoughts but as Marcus came and then Justin did, they both finished washing themselves off and then getting out of the shower without another word between them.  As Justin dressed in his own room he realized he was missing Brian but he knew he would see him in five days.  Marcus would never see Dan again.


Throughout the weekend, Justin avoided Brian’s calls.  He sent a couple texts saying he was busy but things were good. On Saturday, Marcus had taken Justin to a park and then a lovely small cafe that he and Dan had visited several times.  Justin listened to Marcus’ memories, held his hand, and wiped his tears. By Sunday evening, Marcus wanted to stay at the house.  They ordered in Chinese and as it rained outside, they sat on the sofa, passing boxes back and forth and talking about Dan.  There were lots of laughs and both shed lots of tears.  

As they finished their food, Justin got a text from Brennon.  ‘You better call Grandpa tonight.  He is upset you won’t answer.’

“Brian?” Marcus asked as he laid his head down on Justi’s shoulder.

“Brennon. Sounds like I need to answer the next time he calls.”

“You know you can call him.  I’m about cried out,” he smiled and kissed Justin’s cheek, “and I really do feel lighter.  I know Dan doesn’t want me to keep living in the past and this weekend has helped a lot.”

“I’ll talk to him a little later.  I need a little more saki before taking Brian on.”

“Would it help if I talk to him after I go back home?”

“I really don’t think so. I think he could be harsh and that is just his grief but you don’t have to try to get through to him.”

“Justin, who looks after you?”

“Oh, you all do.  Don’t worry about me. My work right now is just what I need.  As I paint the mural I’m working on, I have lots of good memories.  I’ve been thinking back to the old days in New York City and how Dan was always there for us. I have Brinn today and therefore, Justice, Brennon, and Zander because of Dan.  He was always there for us.  You have always been there, too.  Brian just deals with grief differently and it is so hard for him to say goodbye when he cares.”

“Justin, I know Brian is a good man and the love of your life but right now …..”

“He just doesn’t know how to mourn.  Even he knows that.” Justin’s phone rang just then.  “It’s him.”

“Take it if you want.  I’ll clean up dinner.”

Justin kissed Marcus’ and as he walked to his room he answered the phone, “Hey, Brian.  Hold on.” Justin got into his room and shut the door. “I’m back.”

“Have to put on your pants?” Justin could immediately hear Brian had been drinking.

“Brian, we were just finishing dinner. I went to my room so I can talk to you.” He had an edge to his voice.  He just didn’t have the patience for this.  He was emotionally drained after the day with Marcus.

“I’m surprised you even answered. You haven’t picked up all weekend.”

“Have you been drinking all weekend?”

“Fuck if I have to answer to….sorry, I’ve had a couple drinks.”

“From the sound of your voice you have had several. Is that making you feel better?  Is it bringing Dan back or is it just helping you forget he’s gone. Damn, Brian.  I’ll call you back in a little while.” Justin hung up.   He called Brinn instead.   “Hey, Sweetheart.”

“Daddy, it’s so good to hear you.  I miss you.” She took a breath, “What’s wrong? You don’t sound good.”

“Can you go talk to your dad? I just can’t deal with him right now and he’s drunk and…”

“Slow down, Daddy.  Are you alright? You sound really stressed.”

“I’ll admit I am emotionally drained after the day with Marcus but he is doing so well.  I just need a good night's sleep and right now I just can’t….”

“Say no more, Daddy.  I am heading over there now.  You get some sleep.  I will take care of Dad.”

“Thank you.  Tell him how much I love him but….”

“I’ve got this.  Good night.”

“Night, love.”

Brinn drove over to the main house.  She texted Brennon and found out Brian was sitting by the pool. When she got out of the car, he met her.  “Mom, I have tried to get him to stop drinking and I had but once Grandpa hung up on him, he won’t let me take the bottle from him.”

“Don’t worry, Bren.  I will deal with my dad. You know if you wanted to move back to the house, we could figure something else out for him.”

“No, Mom, he needs me and most of the time I like being with him.  He even said I could invite my friend over to spend a day or two.”

“That’s great.  That would do him good, too.  We’ll talk after I see him.” She kissed her son’s cheek and rushed to the back of the house. Brian was just pouring another glass as she came through the gate to the pool area.

“Let me guess, your daddy,” his voice was mocking, “sent you.” He took a swig of whiskey.

“Yes, he did because he loves you so much he couldn’t tell you what an asshole you were being.” Brinn put both hands on her hips. She walked over and snatched the glass out of his hand and downed the remainder. 

“Well, I guess you told me.” Brian brought the bottle up to his lips and tilted it back. 

“Dad, I know you are hurting. I really do. Uncle Dan had been a friend for so many years, he was family. Do you really think he would want you to keep pushing Daddy away?”

“I’m not…..he left.  He won’t answer his phone.  He…”

“Dad, he’s mourning, too. He loved Dan, too. I know your bond was closer and he knows how much you’re hurting but why are you taking it out on him?”

Brian set the bottle down and putting his elbows on his knees he dropped his head in his hands.  Brinn walked up behind him and wrapped her arm around his neck and hugged him tightly. “Daddy, it isn’t helping anyone.  He needs you as much as you need him.”

“I….he just can’t be gone.  I need him.”

“What does this have to do with Daddy?  Can he bring Uncle Dan back?”

“He could be here for me,” Brian said softly.

“He was here for several weeks.  He thought you would come with him which would have been good for you to have a change of scenery.  None of that is his fault.” Brinn came around and sat gently on her father’s lap and hugged him.  “He knows you are trying but he also had to go on with his job,” Brinn looked into his face.  “He’ll be home next weekend.”

“I know.” Brian took a big breath and Brinn stood up, helping him to his feet.

“Let’s get you into bed, Daddy.” Brinn helped him into his room and then into bed. She tucked him in and kissed him. “I’ll check on you in the morning.”  She stayed in the room until she heard him breathing deeply and slowly.

Brinn walked out to find Brennon. “Gramps asleep now?”

“He is, Bren.  Are you sure you don’t mind staying here with him?  I could stay if you don’t want to…”

“Mom, I want to stay.  I know you are close and, most of the time, he is a lot of fun.  I am getting to know him so much better.”

“Ok, darling, but don’t hesitate to call me. Now, what is this about  you inviting a friend over?”

“He’s a friend from school that I started talking to more this summer.  I really like him but to be honest, I don’t know if he is gay or not.  I think he is just a friend but I can tell he doesn’t have a lot.  He has been working most of the summer but right now he isn’t working so I thought he might like to come out here and swim and stuff. Do you think that would be too much for Gramps?”

“No, not at all.  I think it would be good for him to have more young men around here.  It will distract him.  Just keep me in the loop, too, so I know what’s going on.”

“Ok, Mom.  Love you.”

“I love you , too.” Brinn hugged and kissed her son before leaving. Brennon went back to his room and called his friend, Jed.  

“Hey, Bren! What’s up, man?”

“I talked to Gramps and Mom and both said you should come out for a while.  It doesn’t matter how long you stay.  There are lots of bedrooms and a pool and four wheelers. Why don’t you come out for a few days? No one cares how long you stay.”

“I don’t know.  I mean I would love to but my mom and dad …. Well, I mentioned it and they weren’t sure I would be welcome up with the rich people.  That was their words not mine. My parents, especially my dad, has a thing about staying with our own kind.”

“What does he mean your own kind? Is he talking about the fact you are black?”

“That is part of it but I think he is more talking about how much money you have.  Everyone knows your family is rich.  Not that he thinks you are bad.  In fact, my grandma could afford to have an operation because of something your dads set up at the hospital. But he says people that have as much money as you do don’t know what it is like to be normal working guys.”

“Well, I’m told my great grandfather worked as a plumber or electrician or painter or something.  But my grandpa put himself through college and then got rich on his own and of course my other grandpa was just lucky to be born with a lot of talent.”

“Ya, my family didn’t get any of that luck.  Well, he also has a little problem with them being gay. If we stayed at your house he probably wouldn’t care but if we stay with your grandfather…”

“Jed, you know I’m gay, right?”

“I kind of figured.  So am…” he stopped.  “I’ll just ask if I can stay with you.  I don’t have to specify which house I stay at.  I will talk to them and get back to you.  I really want to come out.”

“Just let me know in the morning.  Gramps said you are welcome as long as you want to stay.”

The call ended and Brennon smiled.   Was Jed going to say he was gay, too? Brennon looked forward to getting to know him a little better. Or if he was interested maybe….?

Brennon got into bed and could only think about Jed possibly coming to visit and realized he should text his mom in the morning just in case Jed’s parents tried calling her about Jed staying over. Why wait until morning? He texted Brinn and then got in bed and went to sleep.

Brinn read the text as she got in bed next to Zach. She had put on a silk negligee while she was in the bathroom.  She had put his favorite perfume on and brushed her hair so it cascaded around her face.

“God, woman, you are too gorgeous.” Zach buried his face in the silk between her breasts. “And you smell so good.” His mouth worked its way to hers as his hand traveled down her side looking for the bottom of her gown.  

As his hand found what he was looking for, she arched to meet his finger. “Oh, Zach, you still always know exactly what….” her whole body shuddered as she orgasmed for the first time. 

“I hope you want more than that.”

“Oh, don’t worry, Lulu, I’m planning on making a night out of it.”

The next day Brinn saved a step and contacted Jed’s mother and told her they would love to have his company and that Brennon was a bit lonely with his twin brother gone for the summer.  Brian and Brennon would pick him up at 2:00 p.m.  So it was settled that Jed would stay up at the vineyard at least until Friday and maybe the weekend.  Brinn had already said if he stayed until the weekend the boys could stay at Stone House so Brian and Justin could have the house alone.

By Friday afternoon, Jed felt comfortable at the Main house.  This house was five times the size of the house he lived in with his parents and two siblings.  The boys grabbed a backpack of necessities and jumped on one of the four wheelers and went through the vineyard to Stone House.  They then went and raided the cupboard and fridge at Brinn and Zach’s before moving in for the weekend.

By Friday afternoon, Brian couldn’t sit still.  The minute the boys were out of the house he went back to the bedroom and started getting ready for Justin to arrive.  He started by taking a nap, wanting to have plenty of energy tonight.


Justin worked until noon and then Marcus picked him up at the gallery and they went to the airport to meet John.  They landed at the small local airport where Tony had met them.  He was going to bring Justin and Marcus home while John did the post flight check.  Tony dropped Marcus off and then drove Justin to the vineyard.  “Tony, John said you haven’t seen Brian?”

“No, he has been staying close to home.”

“What aren’t you saying, Tony?”

“I just think Brian really needs to get out of this funk.  Maybe when you get done in Seattle the two of you should take a trip to Italy or Ibiza.  Jonna would love to see you. John and I are talking about visiting Milan anyway.”

“I’ll mention it to him.  It has been a long time since we have been to Ibiza.  Maybe we should take one last trip.” Tony pulled the car in front of the house and Justin jumped out, grabbing his bag.  “I’ll see you Monday morning.” He kissed Tony through the open window and then turned to see Brian coming out of the house. Justin tried to stay calm but he rushed into Brian’s arms and sighed as he felt the long limbs wrap around him.

They stood there for a long time before slowly separating and entering the house. They hadn’t spoken all week.  They had sent texts but Justin had said he wouldn’t talk this week. He had needed time to just have a week without conflict.  He felt selfish but if he didn’t focus on himself for a bit, it would take even longer for him to get some strength back. He had also told Brian he didn’t want to fight this weekend. He wanted them to enjoy each others’ company, not fight about Marcus. He promised not to mention him if Brian did the same.

“I have missed you so much,” Justin said as he kissed Brian again and led him to the sofa in the living room.  They sat side by side with Brian’s arms holding on to Justin so tightly it was almost uncomfortable.  “Bri, I’m not going to try to run away.”

Brian smiled, “Sorry, I just needed to make sure you were really here. Did you have a good flight?”

“We did.  I think John enjoys having these short flights yet.  When Tony drove me home he mentioned going to Italy and thought we might enjoy going to Milan or Ibiza, maybe in the fall.”

“Right now, Sunshine, I just want to hold you.  We can talk about that later.”

“You are so right. Did you make any plans for the weekend or are we just going to spend our time in the pool and with each other.”

“Do you want to go out and do something?”

“I want to do anything that includes you.  I would be satisfied lying in bed all weekend as long as you were there with me.” Justin reached up and gently guided Brian’s mouth down to his.  With his hand resting on Brian’s cheek he said softly, I love you, Brian.  I always have and I always will.”

“Oh, Sunshine, I never really doubted that.  I know you do as I love you.  I thought maybe tomorrow night we would go somewhere for dinner but tonight, well actually pretty soon, George is going to put something in our oven that we can eat later.  He promised to make something special for us, something he made himself, not one of his students.”

“Um, that will be good.  Brian, I’m not asking for anything more but can we stretch out on bed so I can feel your skin on mine?”

Brian took his hand and laid it on his erection, “I think I can do much better than just lay with you.”

Justin nearly went down on him right there but instead stood up and offered Brian his hand. “What time is George coming?”

“George knows to let himself in and leave us instructions if we aren’t around. He’s a smart man.”

“I like the way you think.”

They took their time.  At their age there was no rush. They didn’t try new tricks anymore.  Just the act of being together, touching each other, was all they needed to feel.  That’s all they wanted to feel.  They touched and explored more than they had for a very long time and when Brian finally entered him he struggled to hold on because he wanted it to last as long as he could.  Justin cried out and as he contracted around Brian, Brian joined him in climax. 

Neither moved for several minutes.  They heard George come and go earlier but they didn’t want to rush this moment. It was as perfect as they could expect it. Eventually, Justin turned and pressed himself tightly against Brian and just dropped feather light kisses all over his face and neck.  

“If this is what it means to get old, I wouldn’t have worried about it,” Justin whispered in Brian’s ear.  “I love you, more today than ever before.”

Brian opened his mouth to say something but closed it again and just held Justin a little closer. Eventually his embrace loosened a bit.  “Are you hungry?  I have a feeling our dinner is probably ready.”

“I am.” Justin ran his hand down Brian’s side, making him shiver. 

“Let’s go eat and you can tell me all about your work.  I can see you are enjoying your time there.”

Justin realized there was no negative undertone to the comment. “I would love that and then maybe a little swim and soak in the hot tub?”

“That sounds like a perfect evening.” They both got up and slipped into robes.  “You know what the best part of that plan is?”

“What, Sunshine?”

“The two of us are in the same place.” Justin kissed him and headed to the door.

Ten minutes later they were sitting out by the outside dining table, eating the meal George had dropped off.  “So is Brennon keeping you company?”

“That kid is so intuitive.  He reminds me of you that way.  He has a friend visiting right now.  They are staying at Stone House for the weekend.”

“What kind of friend?”

“Brennon says they are just friends mainly because he isn’t sure whether or not Jed is gay.  He likes the guy and I know he has a crush on him but he realizes friendship is the most important thing right now.  If more comes from it, great. Like I said he is a smart kid.”

“I bet you are enjoying him.”

“He isn’t you.” This time there was a trace of sadness.  “I know it won’t be long and you’ll be back. About 3 weeks?”

“That sounds about right.  I am done with most of the design responsibilities so will mostly be working on the mural.  It has been a long time since I have done that kind of work.”

“I’m glad you are finding ….. Justin, I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you were mourning Dan, too.”

Justin looked at Brian’s sincere eyes, and ran a fingertip along his jaw.  “Thank you for that. I do miss him.   Dan had a surety about him that added a calm to everything.  I miss seeing you interacting with him because he could always read your mood and you would respond to his lead.” Justin hugged him, “You were lucky to have each other.  George had left one large piece of cake they hadn’t asked for but it looked so decedent. “Let’s go swim and we can eat this later,” he wrapped a napkin around the dessert.  He stood dropping the robe in his chair as he walked to the pool.  Brian was only two steps behind him as they both slipped into the cool water of the pool.


“Bren, have you really always lived like this? This place is so cool.  Is this place old or does it just look old?” Jed stretched out putting his feet on the coffee table in front of the sofa in Stone House.

“Ya, this is the only place I have lived and yes, this place is really old. My uncle fixed it up for him and his lover to use. Oh, please don’t say that anywhere.  I know a lot of people know about it but I don’t want to spread it around.”

“Your uncle’s wife knows about this lover?”

“Ya, well, I never met that guy.  He had moved on before I was born but Uncle Gus has been married to Shelby for 30 years but he has been with Trenton for more than half of that time now. Gus is definitely bisexual and needs both and I can’t imagine it but Aunt Shelby has known about it their whole marriage so he didn’t hide it.”

“Wow, I can’t imagine my family ever talking about that kind of stuff.  I can’t imagine my parents ever talking about anything like that except to make a slur about gay sex. I don’t know why he thinks he has to make fun of it.”

“You don’t seem to have any problems with someone being gay.” Brennon looked him in the eye.

“Brennon, everyone knows you are gay but you’re cool about it.  You are secure about it.”

Brennon, sitting next to him, turned to face Jed and without thinking about it reached to brush Jed’s hair off his forehead. “I don’t know about secure but I grew up with gay couples everywhere. I mean my Uncle Gus has two moms and two dads.  I just am careful because I don’t want to make others uncomfortable and I don’t want Zander to have to defend me.  He’s a great brother.”

“I can tell you two really do get along.”

“Well, most of the time.  We fight sometimes, too.”

“Brennon, have you ever…. Well, are you a …. Have you ever kissed anyone?”

“No, not like that kind of a kiss.  Have you?”

“I kissed a girl when I was 14.  We kind of dated but neither of us were old enough to date so what that meant was we went to a couple movies together.”

“And what was it like? The kiss, not the movies.”

“How the hell would I know? I was too scared to remember.” They both laughed and Brennon turned on the TV.


Before Brian and Justin wanted it, it was Sunday night.  They lay in bed after making love.  They both looked at the stars they could see through the skylight. “I love that view. I know it is a hoaky, old saying but I feel like I could reach out and touch them but it looks like clouds are rolling in,” Justin said as he moved even a little closer to Brian and Brian’s arm tightened.  “Bri, you could… I’m sorry.  I promised I wouldn’t do this.”

“Sunshine, I… by the time you return I’ll be back to normal.  I promise.”

“Brian, I don’t care about normal.  Dan is gone.  I understand that normal isn’t what it used to be.  I just want you to be happy again.  I saw a few smiles this weekend and I loved it.  I do know you are trying.  I love you for it.” He turned into Brian and kissed him as Brian held him close. As they fell asleep, it began to rain.


Brennon and Jed bounded into Stone House as the skies opened up and poured. They had been swimming with Brinn and Zach and the boys had stayed just a few minutes too long.  They were both laughing as they dripped onto the stone floor.  “Be careful, it’s going to be slick with wet feet.”  

Jed took a step toward the stairs and he nearly fell.  Brennon reached out and caught him and Jed ended up in Brennon’s embrace.  There had been a little sexual tension between them all weekend but now the air was palpable. 

“Um thanks, Bren.”

Brennon loosened his hold just a bit and asked, “You Ok? Did you…”

Jed put a hand on the back of Brennon’s neck and moved closer and closer until their lips met. “Oh, shit, Bren, I didn’t mean to…  I can’t be….if I’m gay or bi my dad won’t let me back in the house.  I have known that for years.  He has told me that for years.  Do you think he knows already?  I, god…” Jed turned and with some care, he rushed up the steps and soon it was just Brennon.  He smiled as he looked at the steps Jed just went up.

So that’s what a kiss was like.  He hoped to get at least one more of those tonight but he also was concerned for Jed. He seemed very upset.  He couldn’t imagine what it would be like to think you wouldn’t be accepted because of who you were attracted to.

Brennon dried himself off in the kitchen and then wrapped a towel around his waist, sat on the sofa and turned on the TV.  He also turned on the fire.  He knew it really wasn’t that cold but it would cool off a lot with the rain and he had stayed here before.  The stone house could feel chilly quickly.  

Jed came down a little hesitant about 20 minutes later. He had taken a quick shower and was in jeans and a T shirt.  “Jed, you know you are safe here, right?  I won’t say a word if you don’t want me to.”  He sat down on the other end of the sofa.  “I’m going to go shower.  I’ll be down in a little while.  Why don’t you check the freezer and see if there is a pizza or something else good in there.”  With that Brennon went upstairs.  He knew he had to tell his parents about Jed’s fears.  Jed needed to know he had a safe place to come if he decided to tell his parents.

Brennon could smell something when he got out of the shower so he pulled on shorts and went down.  “What are we having?”

“It’s a pizza but I have never seen a pizza like that.  I don’t think it came from a store.  It looks like some kind of…”

“It’s a Father George pizza.  They are SO good.  What was on it?”

“It said You Got It on the sticker.”

“Oh, that’s his everything pizza.  It is SO good.”

“Who is Father George? I have never heard of that brand.”

Brennon laughed as he peeked in the oven. “George is my sister’s biological father. My dad has cystic fibrosis and wasn’t supposed to be able to father kids and George was a family friend. Anyway, he has that cooking school in town and he always brings us food for the freezer.”

“That’s cool.  Do you know who your father is? I mean I know your dad is your dad but…”

“I know what you mean,” Brennon leaned over the kitchen counter and looked at Jed on the sofa.  Did he tell him the whole mixed up story? “Well,” the timer went off on the oven.  “Pizza is done.” He was glad he could change the subject.  He would tell Jed the whole story sometime. He cut the pizza and after throwing a towel on the table he brought the pan over and set it on the towel and tossed a roll of paper towels on the sofa between them. “Dig in.”

The boys were silent for a while as they each ate a couple slices of pizza and then they slowed down as they each grabbed another slice but sat back to enjoy it.  “This might be the best pizza I have ever had.”

“I told you it was good,” Brennon responded.

As Jed reached for one more slice his phone rang.  He actually jumped and after laying the slice down he picked up his phone and looked to see it was his mom calling.  “Hey, Mom, I planned to call you.” There was silence, “Ok, ya, I understand.” Silence.  “Sure, let me know what you end up doing.”

Brennon set his pizza down too and looked at his friend.  Jed’s expression had gotten very serious. As soon as he hung up he stood and began pacing. “Jed, what is it? Are your parents coming to get you?”

“No, just the opposite.  They’ve already talked to your mom.  I’m going to be staying for a few more days.”

“Oh, that’s cool but why do I think it isn’t cool.”

“It’s my dad. He was in an accident.  Mom’s already talked to your mom and I’m going to just be staying here for now.  My little sisters are at my aunt’s house but she really doesn’t have room,” he started pacing faster, “her house is already full so I’m staying out here. I was just complaining about him and…” Brennon stood and wrapped his arms around his friend as Jed held on tightly.  After standing like that for a couple minutes, there was a knock on the door and Brinn’s voice.  “Bren, let me in please.” 

“Just a second, Mom.” Brennon looked at Jed and made sure he was standing on his own before he let go of him and moved to the door, letting Brinn in.

Brinn went into mother mode.  She walked over to Jed and put an arm around him, “You talked to your mom?”  He nodded. “I know you have to be upset.  Your mom is going to call me in the morning and I will bring you wherever she would like me to bring you, or Dad will but I told your mom you were welcome here as long as you needed a place to stay,”  Brinn noticed how Brennon slipped his arm around his friend and how Jed leaned against him for a moment. “I’ll let you boys finish watching your movie.  Bren, can I talk to you on the porch?”  Brinn moved to the door and Brennon followed her.

“Is it worse than you told him, Mom?”

“No, well, I don’t know.  Brennon, are you and Jed… You haven’t had sex have you?”

“No, Mom, we have done nothing more than kiss once.”

“I know you are smart and I know you care about him, but please don’t have sex tonight.  You should never do something like that for the first time when emotions…”

“I got it, Mom.”

“If you do have sex, there are condoms in the bedstand. Use them.”  Brinn kissed her son and waved as she walked away.  “Oh, and I don’t want to know about it.”  Brinn jogged across the drive between Stone House and their house before stopping once she was out of the rain and waved at him.  “Love you, Bren.”

“Love you, too, Mom.”  Brennon rushed back into the house to find Jed pacing again.  “Come sit down, Jed.” Brennon looped an arm around his shoulders.  “Eat the rest of your pizza.  I’ll be right back.” Brennon opened a bottle of wine and poured them each a glass.   “We aren’t going to get drunk but I think a little of this will calm you down so you can sleep.”

An hour later Brennon and Jed lay side by side the last two nights they had shared the large bed but slept on opposite sides of the mattress but tonight Brennon pulled him close and put his arms around him holding him close.  He kissed Jed once and said, “Sleep.  Mom will let us know what’s going on in the morning.”  

“Thanks, Bren. I….. thanks.”  The boys drifted off to sleep late in the night.


Justin slipped out of bed early.  Tony would be picking him up around 7:00 so he needed to get moving.  He quietly started the shower. After wetting his hair he reached for the shampoo but his hand encountered Brian’s, “Let me help with that.”  They were silent as Brian helped Justin wash his hair and then his back. Next he soaped his chest and he worked his way down and before he was done washing him, Justin had an erection and a need for release.  Brian sat on the shower bench and took Justin into his mouth and soon Justin arched and sent cum into Brian’s throat.  Justin bent and kissed Brian, tasting himself on his lips.  

Thirty minutes later they stood on the veranda kissing when Tony arrived.  “I really hope you didn’t stay in that same spot the whole weekend.”  Justin and Brian separated and Justin picked up his bag.  “You didn’t change your mind and decide to go to Seattle with Justin?” Without a response Brian turned and went back in the house.  Tony looked at Justin. “I suppose I shouldn’t have said that.”

“You probably shouldn’t have but I’m glad you did.”