- Text Size +

The Letters


Chapter 11 (July-August)


 



September 5, 2022


Mr. Thomas Butterfield

c/o Edna’s Treasures

Edna’s Treasures Lane

No. Bridgeton, PA


My Dearest Friend,


Your new life has certainly started off in a most spectacular way. Puppies, a new parish, counselor at The Farm and a new relationship. I received your official resignation, which I shall forward through to the proper offices, and your letter of intentions. My dear Thomas, as a Bishop of the Holy Roman Catholic Church, I cannot condone your relationship and lifestyle choices. However, shortly I will no longer be your bishop and I do wish to remain your friend. True friendship is hard to find and we’ve been friends for more than twenty years. I will never stop hoping that you’ll find your way back to us but I have decided that He would not look badly upon us for remaining friends.


And speaking about friends, what an interesting collection of them you’ve accumulated. Most appear very supportive of you and your friend. Although, I dare say one is not. But then while having the approval of others around you is nice, it’s clear to me that you have decided that approval of one’s self is far more important.


Please remember to report to the rectory at the end of your sabbatical to receive your official release from your vows. And while I will never stop praying that you will return to the fold, I do respect your decision.


Yours in God,


Colm

 


*****

 


Michael was sitting on his deck at the back of the cottage on Edna’s Treasures Lane. He was feeling very put upon by everything that was happening. That stupid priest, or whatever the hell he was, was parading around the place with his boyfriend. And his boyfriend was the most notorious bottom boy in Babylon history. And Brian seemed to think the whole thing was just fine.


Michael folded his arms on his chest and scowled at the squirrel that ran across the fence of his deck.


“Fuck off!” he said belligerently to the squirrel.


The squirrel stopped and looked at him. Was he taunting him? The squirrel’s cheeks were full of food, and he seemed to be smirking at him.


 


“Fuck off!” Michael yelled again.


The squirrel scampered away, taking his own sweet time to do so. Michael wondered if anybody ever listened to him, squirrels included.


Just then he became aware of a persistent buzzing noise. He glanced around wondering if there was a giant mosquito ready to taunt him as well. When he saw nothing and the sound persisted, he realized it was the buzzer for the front gate of Edna’s Treasures Lane. Someone in one of the other cottages could answer it. Michael merely leaned back in his chair and the buzzing stopped soon after.


After a couple of minutes the buzzing started up again. Michael wondered if everybody was out of their house waiting in Brian’s garden for that stupid dog to have her puppies. Michael had never had much use for animals, and the fuss that everyone was making over the prospect of baby dogs totally went over his head, as so many things did. Even Ben was up there, and Michael had told him not to go, but Ben didn’t listen to him either.


Heaving a sigh, Michael got up and went into the cabin. He pushed the buzzer and said, “Who are you?”


“Oh hello, I was wondering if anybody would ever answer,” a voice said.


“Well I’m answering, so who are you and what do you want?” Michael demanded ungraciously.


“I’m Colm O’Hara. I’m here to see Thomas Butterfield.”


Michael made a face. “Is he inviting the whole fucking world here?” he muttered, not realizing that his finger was still on the button and the intercom was open.


“I’m not the whole f… world,” Colm said, getting tired of waiting to be let in. “But I am his bishop, and I was invited.” This irritating man could make anybody swear … almost.


“Oh!” Michael said, suddenly cluing in that he should perhaps not be rude to a bishop. “Come in.” He released the gate. Then he hurried to the front of his cottage. Maybe this was his chance to get rid of the priest who was setting such a bad example for the children on the lane. He went out the front door and waved at the Bishop’s car as it came into the lane.


The Bishop pulled the car to the side of the lane and stopped. He didn’t know where he was going exactly, so maybe this little man could tell him. He got out of his car.


“Hello, Bishop,” Michael said extending his hand. “I’m Michael Novotny.”


The Bishop hesitated for a fraction of a second, but finally shook Michael’s hand. “Perhaps you’d be good enough to direct me to where I might find Thomas, if it’s not too much trouble, and you can forgive me for interrupting your peace and quiet by accepting my invitation to come here.”


Michael totally missed the sarcasm in the Bishop’s words. “Everybody’s up at Brian’s. Their dog is having puppies any minute now.”


The Bishop looked at Michael. “And you’re not interested in the miracle of birth.”


“Of a dog? I don’t think so.”


“I see,” the bishop said, and he did see more than many people would have thought. “If you could direct me to this Brian’s place, perhaps I will be able to find Thomas.”


“I’ll do better than direct you,” Michael said cheerfully. “I’ll take you there. It’s at the top of the lane.” They started walking. “I’m so glad someone has come to find out what’s been going on around here,” Michael informed his companion.


“What’s been going on?” Colm asked a bit bewildered. “What are you referring to?”


“I’ve been saying for weeks that something should be done about a man who is still a priest living here and dating another man. It’s … it’s just not right. It sets a bad example for our kids, for everyone,” Michael stated.


“So that’s how you feel,” Colm said solemnly.


“That’s how I feel. I really hope you’re going to do something about it.”


“What would you like me to do?” Colm asked.


Michael smiled. He was finally being listened to. “I’d like you to send him away. Isn’t there someplace where priests go when they’re having, what do you call it … a crisis of faith?”


“They often go to a new home.”


“A new home?” Michael was confused.


“They leave the church and go to a new home,” Colm said again.


“But aren’t they punished?”


“For what? Losing their faith?”


“Well, yeah!”


“Should we punish you because you don’t want to be part of the birth of puppies?” Colm asked.


“What?”


“You heard me. You don’t believe in pets by the sound of it. Is anyone punishing you for that lack of belief?”


Michael scowled at the man. This was not at all what he had been expecting. He thought he had an ally in the bishop, but it didn’t seem like that was the case. He led the bishop around the back of the conjoined cottages towards the Wendy house where Ben had told him Lucie was making her nest. He figured that’s where everybody would be.


The yard was full of people. The whole lane had gathered for the imminent birth of the puppies.


“Hi, Uncle Michael,” Bree called out as she ran to the house.


“Where are you going?”


“Uncle John told me to get some old towels,” she said with a big smile.


“Hi, Uncle Michael,” Patrick said as he rushed by.


“Where are you going?”


“To get a pail of water for Dad.”


“Hey, Michael,” Justin said as he headed for the house.


“Where are you going?”


“To see if the kids need any help.”


“Where’s Brian?”


“Over there somewhere,” Justin said pointing towards the Wendy house.


“Is Father Tom around here?” the man with Michael asked.


“Oh, hello,” Justin said finally taking notice of the man with Michael. “I think Tom’s over there too. “I’m Justin Taylor. Do you need to speak with Tom?” he asked.


“It looks like that can wait until the miracle of new life is over,” Colm said with a smile.


“I can get him for you,” Michael volunteered starting towards the Wendy house.


“It’s probably better to wait until later, Michael,” Justin agreed. “Everybody’s busy.”


“I can wait,” Colm repeated.


Bree and Patrick came out of the house carrying their items for John.


“Did you get everything?” Justin asked.


“Yes, Daddy,” Bree said as she hurried over to the Wendy house. Patrick merely nodded and followed her.


“Justin!” Brian bellowed.


“Over here,” Justin called.


Brian stormed over to them. “John told me to back the fuck off,” he griped. “He had the fucking gall to tell me that my ‘agitation’ as he called it was upsetting Lucie. I told him we should call the fucking vet, but he says to let nature take its course. I’m calling the vet. That’s all there is to it,” Brian stated with a huff.


“Brian,” Justin said laying his hand on Brian’s arm to calm him. “John knows best.”


Brian snorted. “Not fucking likely.”


“I’m sure nature will take its course,” Colm ventured to say.


“And who the fuck are you?” Brian demanded. He had given up on calling the vet, but he was pacing back and forth in front of Justin.


“Bishop Colm O’Hara,” the man said.


Brian stopped pacing.


Justin’s mouth dropped open.


Michael grinned like an idiot.


Half the yard turned to see who had said that.


Then they heard John’s voice. “The puppies are coming!”


The men quietly walked through the garden toward the Wendy house. Colm took his time to carefully inspect the lush vibrant garden and surrounding wilderness. In spite of the houses built on the lane, the overall landscape remained relatively untouched. The homes appeared to blend in.


He noted that approximately ten feet away from the front door of the Wendy house there were several folding chairs set up under an umbrella shaded table. A red headed man was sitting with the two young children who had run into the house for supplies. The boy had equally bright red hair.  Several more adults sat at the table as well. One young man looked like a mirror image of the man called Brian. From what Colm remembered of John Anderson, there was a strong resemblance between all three men. There were a few more young people that Colm assumed belonged to some of the adults present.


Colm saw Tom smiling brightly as he chatted with his friends. Tom looked so relaxed and at peace with himself, more relaxed than Colm had seen Tom in a very long time, Colm noted. Tom saw his friend and immediately stood to greet him with honor and respect.


“Bishop O'Hara,” Tom said as he took the man's hand and kissed his ring.


“Thomas, I'm here as your friend,” Colm stated with a gentle smile as he took Tom's hand in a friendly handshake. They hugged as Colm kissed Tom's cheeks European style.


“May I introduce you to my friends?” Tom asked Colm in hushed tones.


“Please do,” Colm responded, eager to meet the family that sheltered his friend during his time of turmoil and contemplation and took such good care of him.


Tom went around the table introducing each family member including Rachel, George, Bobby and the children. JR and Candy were also present. Ben stood to introduce himself as Michael's partner. Colm took it all in stride and gave Ben a slight look of sympathy. Ben shrugged his broad shoulders and smiled back. Emmett and Drew were also present for the excitement with their son Richie. Colm recognized the retired football player and cheerfully greeted Emmett. Emmett had catered many a church function over the years. Lastly Tom introduced Colm to Todd.


Todd smiled shyly as he took the bishop's hand. “It's a pleasure to meet you,” Colm said sincerely much to Michael's ire. Todd wasn't quite sure what to say to the man who had been so very important in Tom's life so he just smiled as he shook the man's hand.


“May I offer you some iced tea,” Justin asked politely as his country club manners kicked in.


“Thank you,” Colm said as he was shown to a chair. Justin poured Colm a tall glass of iced tea. “I take it the blessed event is imminent?” Colm winked an eye as he glanced around the table.


Tom chuckled. “Yes, it is and has been for most of the morning,” he said with a sigh.


“We've been waiting for hours,” Ben explained. “From what John has said, there were a few false starts but if he says the puppies are coming now then I'm sure they're on their way.”


“Yes, I remember when my own dog had puppies when I was a kid. It did take hours,” Colm recalled from his childhood. “But Mother Nature will have her way,” he added.


“Yes, she will,” John said as he came over to the table, wiping his hands on a towel before greeting the bishop.


“John, so glad to see you again. It's been a while,” Colm said.


“Yes, it has. How's the roof?”


“Behaving. The rectory remains dry,” Colm replied. “How's the little mother doing?” he inquired.


“Nervous,” John replied as he threw Brian a poignant look. Bobby snickered as did most of the adults. Brian responded with one of his deadliest glares. Justin ignored the glare as usual and waggled a finger under Brian's nose. Colm chuckled.


“This is her first litter so it's not unexpected for her to be nervous,” John explained further.


“And the sire?” Colm asked with some expertise.


“Pacing in front of the Wendy house like any expectant father would.” John smiled as he shook his head. “This is Beau's first litter too. He's a bit old to be fathering pups but he's healthy and has the heart and energy of a dog half his age. Lucie's young so she'll be fine.”


“Well, then here's to the happy family,” Colm said raising his glass into the air. The family echoed his toast and gesture. “I'd like to say something before my visit to your lane continues. Brian, Tom has informed me of your ongoing generosity during his time here. He's told me about how most of you have supported him and have given him this peaceful environment in which he could pray for guidance.”


Michael’s snort was ignored by the family. Colm gave Michael a passing glance.


“I thank you for doing this,” Colm added. “Decisions such as this are not easy ones to make and are often very painful for the priest. Your gift of peace and solitude was just what Tom needed.” Brian paled slightly under the enormity of the bishop's words. “Thomas, if it's all right with your friends, I would appreciate a tour of this beautiful lane, including your small cabin retreat.”


“Of course,” Thomas said as he stood.


“Tom, take the radio, just in case,” Bobby reminded Tom. Tom nodded as he directed the bishop to stay seated until he returned from the cottage with a pair of radios. Leaving one with the boys, Tom and Colm walked slowly back to the gardens to start the tour with the greenhouse.


“That went well,” Emmett commented as soon as Tom and Colm were out of earshot.


“I think I need a drink,” Brian muttered to himself. He grabbed Justin's wrist, noting it was way too early in the day for alcohol and cursed under his breath. Todd nodded in agreement and was just as disappointed.


“He seems like a very nice man,” Rachel stated as she passed around a tray of small sandwiches.


“He is a nice man,” John confirmed. “He's a believer but he doesn't try to convert all of us heathens,” he joked.


“You're far from being a heathen, Babe,” Bobby said as he gave John a peck on the lips. Bobby knew that John grew up believing and worshiping in church with his mother. John gave his partner a proper kiss before consuming several of the sandwiches. Playing midwife to a very large dog was hard work. John worked up a hearty appetite.


“Well, I don't think he's a real bishop,” Michael grumbled.


“Michael, honey, give it a rest,” Emmett said before Brian could curse Michael out. That was the last thing they all needed was a knock down drag out fight between Brian and Michael.


“But...”


“Michael, we all know your opinion,” Ben said sternly. “Your opinion has nothing to do with Tom's life so as Emmett said, give it a rest.” The look on Ben's face made Michael shut up. Todd gave Ben a grateful look.


At that moment Beau pranced over to John and began to howl and whimper.


“I think that's my cue,” John said as he got up to go back to the playhouse.


“Want help?” Brian asked before he realized what he said. He really didn't want to see Lucie give birth.


“No, thank you. But if I do need help, you'll be the first I call,” John said with a laugh as his brother turned green.


As John followed Beau back to the Wendy house, Justin gathered up the almost empty pitcher of iced tea and other used items on the table to take back to the cottage.


“Come on, old man, you can help me refill the pitcher and bring out more snacks,” Justin said to a relieved Brian. The adults chuckled at Brian's expense.

 


*****

 


“This is magnificent,” Colm exclaimed as he stepped into the greenhouse. Tom nodded. It was a reaction most people had when they entered the building. “And you said he planned and planted most of these himself?”


“Yes. He had a vision after he and Justin returned from Hawaii. John built it. John built all of the homes on this lane except for the house at the top of the lane. As I recall, a change in zoning laws almost destroyed Rachel and George's home. John moved it here.”


“He's a very talented man. They're all very talented men. Of course, I'm well aware of Justin Taylor's success. I've been to many of his exhibits. Brian Kinney is almost legendary in the city.”


Tom hid behind a huge potted plant as he flushed at Colm's comment.


“Brian is very generous in his donations to our church,” Colm stated. Tom nodded as he composed himself and led Colm toward the koi pond.


“Beautiful!” Colm gasped as he marveled at the rock face where the water flowed down the wall and into the pond.


Tom continued the tour to the B&B showing Colm the larger cottage and the room Tom inhabited while on the lane. Tom then took Colm through the backyard and meadow toward the spot where the stream narrowed so they could cross. They approached the small flower filled glade and Tom's tiny cabin retreat.


“John helped you to build this too?” Colm asked with wonder.


“Yes. Actually he built it himself. I just hammered where he told me to,” Tom said with a laugh. “I discovered I'm useless with tools,” he joked as he opened the door to let them in.


“A bit Spartan,” Colm commented as he looked around the small room. “But I suppose that was the point.”


“Yes,” Tom agreed. “I spent most of my days here this past year and a few evenings.”


“You didn't sleep overnight here?”


“No. John wouldn't allow it and considering the source, I bowed to his wisdom.”


“Good. And the radio?”


“Just a precaution the boys insisted upon. Someone always has the other one. And of course, Beau was a constant companion.”


“I take it Beau is a very special dog.”


“Very. I think he's more human than some of the humans I've known.”


“Speaking of humans, what's with Michael?” Colm asked as he and Tom exited the cabin to return to the lane.


“Michael is a bit opinionated but I believe he has a good heart,” Tom said. “His mother is very good woman and devout.”


“Tom, I have to ask. This lane, most of the people who live here are gay, are they not?”


“Yes, except for Rachel and George who are the other permanent residents on the lane beside the boys. Molly, who's Justin's sister, she and her husband have the other small cottage.”


“And Emmett and Drew?”


“The cottage when you first enter the lane with the picket fence. Aside from the boys, Rachel and George, all the other cottages are vacation homes.”


“I see. Are you sure you haven't been swayed?” Colm asked, stopping just after they crossed the stream to turn and face Tom.


“You mean have I been turned to the dark side?” Both Tom and Colm laughed. “I admit that being surrounded by out and proud men and women has allowed me to be honest with myself, but no, I haven't been swayed. I am what I am. Colm, for the most part I loved being a priest. I haven't stopped believing in God and his miracles. I'd just rather be a member of a church that will embrace all that I am and not just a part of me.”


“Have I done that?” Colm asked.


“No. You've been a good and true friend. But at the end of the day, you must be what you are, a bishop in the Roman Catholic Church. And as such, there is no place for me. I will never stop being your friend or valuing your opinion and advice but my decision is final.”


“So be it. I will go away at the end of the day knowing that you enter your new life with your eyes wide open and with a clear head. Now about your young man.”


“He's not that young, perhaps a few years younger than me.”


“He runs a garden center?”


“Owns it. He's had a hand in the landscaping of Michael and Ben's property. And other major ventures throughout the county and in the city,” Tom replied with a hint of pride in his voice. “He's been working with John lately as well.”


“A hard working, responsible man, good.”


“You sound like a parent.”


“Once your bishop, always your bishop, my son,” Colm joked. “Seriously, Tom, does he make you happy?”


“Yes, he does,” Tom answered with a serene smile. “I haven't been this happy in years.”


“Then as your friend, I give you my blessing.”


“Thank you, Colm. You have no idea what that means to me.”


“I do, if just a little. Now, let's get back and see if there are new lives to bless.”


Tom and Colm walked briskly back to the yard to see if Lucie had her pups.

 


*****

 


“Uncle Thomas!” Bree called out as he and Colm approached the table. She threw herself at Tom to give him an enthusiastic hug. “Lucie had her puppies,” she said brightly.


“She did? I guess we missed all the excitement,” Tom replied. “Is Lady Lucie all right?”


“Uncle John said she's real tired but she's okay. She had six babies and they're all sleeping. Beau's keeping guard. He's letting us look but not too close.”


“I wouldn't dream of interfering,” Tom confirmed. He took Bree's extended hand and followed her to the Wendy house.


“What are they doing?” Colm asked as he saw John and Bobby arranging a large umbrella close to the front of the playhouse.


“Our hippie dippy weatherman is predicting rain,” Brian began with an arch of his brow. “John is making sure the front is sheltered. So Beau and his family won't get wet,” Brian said with a roll of his eyes. “If they were wolves in the wild they'd get wet.”


“But they're not wolves in the wild,” John growled at his brother. When John was satisfied he allowed everyone one last peek at the babies then declared the area off limits to humans, at least until the morning.


“But what if Lucie needs us?” Bree said with concern.


“Then Beau will come and get us,” Justin assured her. “Who's hungry?” Justin called out. Everyone cheered in reply.


“Well, Sunshine, time to break out the barbecue,” Brian said with a smirk. A cheer rang out again as they all trooped back to Edna's Treasures.


Tom took Todd's hand then turned to Colm. “You're in for a treat,” Tom said with a big smile as he followed the family to the cottage.