- Text Size +

 

Brian looked at Justin patiently as his blond lover paced anxiously back and forth in the busy airport lounge. He groaned as he looked at the clock. Thirty more minutes before take-off. He knew Justin would be a bundle of nerves until then. Brian grimaced as he thought of how much more so he would be once the plane was in the air. In other circumstances, Brian knew exactly how he would take Justin's mind off of his troubles. He shook his head ruefully. This wasn't that kind of trip. Perhaps on the way back home, but definitely not on this leg of the journey. "Justin, would you please sit down and relax? At this rate, you will be exhausted before we depart." The more he watched Justin fighting his anxiety, he realized even further that flying had been the right decision. The flight would only take a little over an hour, but driving would have been endless for Justin.

 

"I-I can't, Brian. I'm scared, anxious, and excited. Hell, everything! I can't even explain it..." Justin babbled, his pacing unceasing during his ramblings.

 

An affectionate smile crossed Brian's lips as he watched. He couldn't begin to understand what Justin was feeling, but he knew this had to be both exciting and nerve-wracking for the young blond. Brian couldn't wait to see these two siblings reunited in what was a long-overdue reunion. "It's all going to work out, Justin. We're going to find Molly. With any luck, the two of you will be together tonight."

 

"If we are... it's all due to you. I can't thank you enough for that." Justin ignored the shocked gasps that surrounded them when he stopped his frantic movements to sit down next to Brian and lay a deep kiss upon the other man's lips. After a moment, he pulled free, his eyes glaring at the middle-aged couple seated closest to them. "What's your problem? Haven't you ever seen two men kiss before?"

 

Brian bit back the smile that threatened to escape, scolding his outspoken lover gently, "That's enough, Justin. Not everyone understands our ways." His eyes warmly moving over Justin, he whispered, "It's their loss entirely."

 

"Hmph," Justin grunted, continuing to feel defensive.

 

Set on kissing Justin again, even if only to distract him, Brian scowled as his cell phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He pulled it out to identify the caller, his intention to ignore the call. Additional problems or delays were the last things he needed to encounter now. He frowned when the name appeared on his caller ID, at this moment glad he had placed the number in his contacts. This could be important. "I need to take this, Justin. I'll be finished long before we board."

 

Justin nodded. "I'm going to get a magazine for the flight. Not that I'll be able to read..."

 

Brian kissed him again briefly on the lips, before pushing the button to answer the call. "Kinney..." Brian clipped out, uncertain of why he had such a feeling of unease.

 

"Mr. Kinney? Jared Marsh here. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I have vital news that I felt you needed..." the investigator began, unable to keep the extreme anxiety from his voice.

 

"What is it?" Brian snapped, instantly on the alert.

 

The investigator cleared his throat nervously... more than hesitant about spilling this information. "I hesitate to tell you, Sir... in fact, I'm quite embarrassed by it all."

 

"Just spit it out!" Brian barked, glaring at the passengers that were offended by his tone. He lowered his voice slightly, not to ease the distress of these strangers, but more to pacify the obviously nervous man that held information he needed. "I'm waiting to take a flight to Chicago, Mr. Marsh. This is not the time for riddles."

 

"I won't hold you up then. Earlier today, I found my secretary rifling through my private files. All of which pertained to your case. Of course, I immediately questioned her about it... but she wasn't forthcoming - at first." He shook his head in irritation remembering how she had cried for what seemed like hours on end before she'd finally admitted what she was doing.

 

"Go on..." Brian rasped, not liking the direction this was heading - at all.

 

A long sigh followed. "It appears she recently began dating a man... and one that expressed a great deal of interest in you and the investigation I performed for you. Fortunately, I caught her before she uncovered the last report that linked Molly to Chicago and not Springfield. Between the two of us, I think this investigation was his sole interest in her."

 

"That doesn't matter to me," Brian snapped in disinterest. What did matter to him was the identity of the man in question... a sick stabbing feeling in his stomach already telling him who that man could be. His eyes followed Justin's progress through the magazine stand, a smile and wave returned when their gazes connected, before he proceeded to ask for his confirmation. "Did you get a name for this man?"

 

"Yes, but only his first name. My secretary said his name was Brandon... but that she believed him to be a good man, one that only wanted the best for Mr. Taylor." A deafening silence permeated the line. Astutely, Jared surmised, "That assumption was false... wasn't it, Mr. Kinney?"

 

Brian gritted his teeth as his rage for Brandon only escalated. Fuck. This was a mess. If Brandon laid one finger on Molly... he would savagely rip him apart. Consequences be damned, he would kill that pile of worthless flesh. "Very much so. Thank you for contacting me, Mr. Marsh. I will handle it from here." Before hanging up, Brian hissed, "I hope you've dealt with your irresponsible help. I promise you, Mr. Marsh... if any harm befalls Molly Taylor, I won't forget her involvement in this." Brian didn't allow the investigator to sputter about her innocence. He slammed his phone shut, knowing he had to deal with this before they arrived in Chicago. Brandon could already be in Illinois, but if the investigator was correct - and he wasn't counting heavily on that - Brandon didn't have the advantage of complete information. He only hoped that was true.

 

Looking up at the airline clock ticking away, Brian opened his phone to make one more call. He wasn't certain how much could be done legally from here, but he had to try. A sigh of relief passed his lips when Carl answered immediately. "Carl, this is Brian Kinney. I need a favor. In all honesty, I'm not sure what you can do... but if you can make some calls to get the ball rolling, I'd certainly appreciate it."

 

"Brian, what's wrong? You sound upset." Carl frowned as he listened closely, knowing if he wanted a hot dinner tonight, he'd better make certain to help Brian in every way possible.

 

"Upset doesn't even begin to cover it, but here's my story..."

 


 

Chicago University

 

"Hey, Molly..." Daphne greeted her, flopping down on the sofa next to her. "What are your plans tonight?"

 

"Ermm, finishing up this ten-page essay." Molly curled her lip in distaste as she surveyed her progress.

 

Daphne shuddered, sympathizing completely with her plight. "Oh, forget that. It isn't due until next week, right?"

 

"That's right. However, you know how I am about procrastinating." Molly gave her best friend a stern look, one both of them knew to be false. "You'd do well to follow the same practice too!"

 

A crinkled-up nose was Daphne's initial response. "Umm, right. About that - not gonna happen. I was thinking we could go to a movie, then get something to eat after. My treat." She raised her eyebrow awaiting an affirmative response before she prodded, "Well?"

 

Molly was about to answer when the knock sounded at the door. Both of them looked at it curiously before Daphne moved to answer it. She went back to work on her essay, figuring it would be a friend of Daphne's. That was normally the case. She was just too much of a loner to gain a large base of friends. In truth, she liked the quiet life, although she knew it probably wasn't the best thing for her. Too much alone time led to more time to think. That was often not in her best interest.

 

Daphne opened the door, looking up at the stranger in surprise. They never had non-student visitors. This man was definitely not a student. Perhaps he was lost, was her initial thought. "Can I help you?"

 

"I certainly hope so." Brandon smiled at the girl, displaying the full effect of his charm. He looked at the dark complexion of the girl and knew this wasn't his quarry, but he knew she could lead him to the girl he sought to place in his possession. "I was looking for Molly and was told this was where I could find her."

 

"Molly? Who are you?" Daphne demanded, distrustful of this stranger immediately... his perfect smile not endearing him to her for one moment.

 

Her head jerking up as she heard her name, Molly moved toward the door, curious as to the identity of their visitor. She stood behind Daphne, speaking up instantly. "I'm Molly. Who are you?"

 

Yes, Brandon congratulated himself. This girl had to be Justin's twin sister. Not only was she beautiful, and she undoubtedly was - despite having no interest in women whatsoever, he'd be blind not to see her beauty; there were also those eyes - that endless blue that was identical to her brother. He pulled a fictitious business card from his pocket, extending it forward... once again congratulating himself for his ingenuity. The only truth about it being his first name. Untraceable and a symbol of authenticity to the gullible. He suspected this girl to be vulnerable and most definitely in that category. "I am a private investigator based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Your brother hired me to find you. I've been searching for months for you."

 

Molly took the card from the man's hands, her eyes scanning over it briefly, tears falling from her eyes. "Justin's been looking for me? Really? Well, where is he? I want to see him."

 

Daphne crossed her arms over her chest, eyeing the man in suspicion. "Let me see that card, Moll."

 

She handed it over to her friend, all but jumping up and down in joy. "Isn't this wonderful, Daphne?"

 

"It is, isn't it?" Brandon cooed, all but salivating at his victory. Soon he would have his prey in his grasp... and he didn't mean this insipid girl. He just had to get her off this campus; most particularly away from the barracuda that seemed to guard her. "I can take you to him now. He's back at the hotel."

 

"I don't think so... Mr. Devereaux, is it?" Daphne answered, looking down at the card. "I don't mean to appear rude or distrusting, but I need to check out your agency. It so happens that I am originally from Pittsburgh and can do this with a simple phone call."

 

"I do understand," Brandon replied carefully. "You make your calls and I'll just come back later... or tomorrow even. After all this time, there's no rush. I'll just tell Justin that tomorrow might be better."

 

Molly grasped at Brandon's arm as he turned to walk away from the door, oblivious to the cunning smile on his face. She shouted almost desperately to him, "No! I'll go with you now. I believe you... and I don't want to wait another minute."

 

"Molly! Be realistic. We don't know this man. Let me check him out - please!" Daphne's eyes were wild with worry as she watched Molly gather up her keys, purse, and cell phone, all but running to catch up with the man walking away.

 

She turned to glare at Daphne, tears continuing to shimmer in her eyes. "No, I can't wait, Daphne. Justin is here. I can't explain how I know... I just do. He is near... and I'm going to him now!"

 

Brandon placed his hand courteously on her back, leading her down the walk and toward the car that awaited him. "You've made a wise decision." Tonight he would finally have Justin... and there wasn't a damn thing Brian Kinney could do to stop him.

 

Daphne followed to watch what direction they headed, making certain to stay far back and yet gather all the information to track them - should it become necessary. God, she hoped it didn't. She had a bad feeling about this man. If only Molly had listened and let her check him out first. She wrote down the license plate of the car as it pulled away, more than certain it was a rental car. Running back inside she picked up the phone to call home, hoping her instincts were wrong and that everything checked out about this man. Not only did she hope so for her friend's safety... but for her peace of mind as well. She didn't think Molly could take hearing she would be reunited with her beloved brother only to have that hope viciously destroyed. Surely fate wouldn't be so cruel.

 

TBC