- Text Size +

 

Brian drove along the streets of Chicago at breakneck speed, uncaring of any speed laws or of any punishment that could be administered upon him for the violation. If nothing else had resulted with his call to Carl, one thing had been made clear - time could be their enemy. Carl had assured him he would call the Chief of Police in the district that served the area of Chicago University. Until an actual crime had been committed, that was all he could do. It would be up to the Chicago police to pursue Brandon further. Brian was realistic. He knew they were on their own here. The only thing that could change that, would be in the event of criminal activity. That was a factor he hoped remained out of play.

 

He hadn't told Justin how deeply worried he truly was. Brandon was a menace. Although he didn't envision him harming Molly, he could easily imagine how he could use her to gain access to Justin. As he glanced over at Justin fidgeting nervously in his seat, Brian realized he would need to keep a close eye on him every minute. If Brandon somehow secured contact with Justin, he didn't have the slightest doubt that Justin would do exactly as the lecherous madman demanded. He couldn't - wouldn't - let that happen. One hand reached out to lightly squeeze Justin's knee that was bobbing up and down frantically. "Relax, Justin. We're going to find her. You will have the reunion you've been dreaming of for so long."

 

"I hope so, Brian." Justin's voice dropped to a soft, vulnerable pitch, "I'm just so scared. What if Brandon gets there first?"

 

"If he does, we'll deal with it," Brian snapped curtly. "We won't be leaving Chicago until you've found Molly. That I promise you."

 

Justin smiled at Brian, unable to quell the more tender feelings soaring inside of him. "Thank you, Brian. No matter what happens... thank you."

 

"Your welcome, Sunshine. You deserve only the best... both of you do." His eyes were fierce with determination as he glanced at Justin. "It won't be long now, Justin. We're minutes away from the dorms. Ted did well in tracking down exact information. If it pans out, I'll owe him a huge bonus."

 

Justin couldn't agree more. The closer they got to the university, and the subsequent dorms, Justin's apprehension grew. It wasn't solely about Brandon's involvement, although that was unsettling enough. Also, he worried about how he would approach her, and the things that he should say. He couldn't help but worry that he would grow tongue-tied. It had been so long. So much had happened in their lives during these past years. Justin couldn't wait to hear every detail of her life. He only hoped Molly felt the same.

 


 

"What hotel are you and Justin staying at?" Molly asked, looking at the stranger with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion. He had been silent the entire time since they'd left the campus. She found herself wondering about that. If he had been heading up this investigation for such a long time, she would imagine he would have many things to say. Yet, he stared straight ahead and said nothing.

 

Brandon rolled his eyes, having no interest in playing twenty questions with the inquisitive little blonde. As he glanced at her and read the determination in her eyes, he quickly perceived this to indeed be the true twin of Justin Taylor. "It's a little bed and breakfast outside of the city limits. Justin thought you might want some privacy when you spoke."

 

Molly sighed. "Yes, that would be nice... but I wish it wasn't so far away." No matter how much this man consistently spoke the right words, something just felt off to her. "Why didn't Justin come with you? It doesn't make sense he would spend the time to search, not to mention how much it must have cost him, all to sit silently at a hotel waiting."

 

"Justin has changed a lot since you last knew him. He's been disappointed many times over the years looking for you." Brandon spoke to her in an accusing manner, hoping if he placed some guilt on her shoulders she would stop with all the suspicion. He wouldn't care once he had her out of town and secluded. She could think and say what she wanted then. This young girl was the perfect tool in bringing Justin to him - finally - and he wouldn't allow anything to stop him.

 

Tears rolled down Molly's cheeks. "I know he must have suffered too." She looked at the stranger, tears continuing to fill her eyes, before asking him beseechingly, "Is he happy?"

 

Brandon snorted, his eyes filling with visions of the beautiful blond in Brian Kinney's arms. "I suppose he's happy enough," Brandon admitted grudgingly.

 

"Is he married? Dating?" she went on to ask, excited to know everything.

 

"He's with someone," Brandon snapped. "Let's leave the rest for Justin to answer."

 

Molly flinched as the coldness in the man's voice assailed her. Why was he so angry? If he was only doing his part in a job, one that she assumed he was being well paid... Why all the anger? Tremulously, she asked, "Is there something wrong? You seem so upset... hostile even."

 

Brandon sliced her another cold look. "Don't push me, Molly. I might give you answers you don't want to know. But you will soon enough."

 

"I want to talk to Justin right now. I don't understand your behavior. This just doesn't make any sense." Molly forced the fear down into the pit of her stomach, determined to stand her ground. The further they traveled, the more she realized something was very wrong... and that she was in considerable danger with this stranger.

 

Angrily, Brandon jerked the steering wheel and veered off to the side of the road. He needed to make this annoying girl's position very clear. Soon she would be worried for her own safety. Perhaps then the whining would come to an end. "You need to shut your fucking mouth now!" Brandon snarled. "You are the most gullible excuse of a girl." A mocking laugh followed the shocked and frightened awareness that transformed her confused expression. "Never fear, though. You will see your brother again, at some point. He is in Chicago, just not with me. However, that will soon change."

 

"Where is he? What have you done to him?" she demanded, her concern for Justin far surpassing any fear she held for herself.

 

"Fuck!" Brandon exploded, his nostrils flaring. "It never ends with you. The two of you are just alike. Headstrong and defiant. Well, I'll handle that when I get my hands on him again." Brandon's eyes were wild as he thought of all the reunion possibilities for him and Justin; he was so lost in his thoughts he didn't see how Molly clutched her purse to her chest, her other hand silently reaching for the door handle, her eyes quickly noting the upraised button displaying the door now unlocked. His eyes became focused on another place... one in which he had Justin completely at his mercy. His voice became heavily pitched with lust, a tone that even Molly couldn't misinterpret. "Oh yes, you are the sweet little bait to draw your brother out. He'll pay for making me wait so long."

 

Molly tugged at the door handle, her blue eyes fiery... unaware of how much she resembled her brother in the dim lighting. "You'll never use me to get to Justin! I will find him... and when I do, Justin will make sure you suffer for this!" Molly didn't give Brandon a chance to respond. In one rushed movement, she pulled open the door, scrambling out with a determined burst of energy. She ran, digging for her cell phone as she moved... knowing this treacherous man was in pursuit. She gasped as she heard his footsteps thundering across the pavement, knowing she needed to gain separation long enough to call the police.

 

"Get back here, you fucking bitch! I swear you'll pay for this!" Brandon snarled, his patience with this girl completely depleted. Brandon cursed repeatedly when she dashed into some trees off of the highway, her body quickly disappearing from his sight. "You can't hide from me, Molly. I'll hunt you all fucking night. You will not ruin my plans for Justin!"

 

Molly shivered both from cold and fear as she zigzagged in between the trees, looking for the closest secluded spot to hide long enough to throw this madman off the track, and hopefully, find the help she so desperately needed. She didn't know how Justin had encountered such a despicable man in his life. Feeling Brandon gaining on her, she fell to the ground, crawling to the closest spot of isolation... hoping to have enough time to call for help. She had more reason to fight than ever before. Not only did she know Justin was alive, but she also knew he was in Chicago. As Brandon sped past her, she dialed 9-1-1 with trembling hands, hoping her rescue would come swiftly and her search for Justin could truly begin.

 


 

Brian and Justin approached the dormitory with hurried steps. Much of their ride had been silent, each of them with their own personal demons to overcome. Both of them knew they were most likely racing against time; each man realizing Brandon to be a loose cannon that could react in a varied amount of ways at any given moment. Reaching out to Justin, he squeezed his hand, doing his best to reassure this man that had captured his heart in a way he'd never envisioned in relation to him. "It will work out, Justin. Hang in there for a bit longer."

 

Justin smiled tremulously, nodding his agreement... more than anything, hoping Brian to be right. His legs threatened to buckle underneath him as he watched Brian's hand lift to tap on the door. He couldn't believe this was finally happening. Molly could be on the other side of this door. God, he hoped she was here and safe. His eyes widened as he watched the slightly darker girl opening the door... her eyes looking back and forth between them anxiously. Justin cleared his throat, his voice breaking as he spoke, "Hi. We're looking for Molly."

 

"Isn't everyone?" Daphne muttered indifferently, her own worries for her friend only continuing to escalate during the past hour. Staring straight ahead at the gorgeous brunet, she demanded, "Who the fuck are you?"

 

Brian smiled at the cautious and obviously protective girl. "My name is Brian Kinney, and this is my partner, Justin Taylor. We've been searching for Molly. Could we speak to her, please?"

 

Justin and Daphne gasped simultaneously, both for different reasons.

 

A gape came from Justin toward Brian. He had said, partner. Damn. Did he really mean that? Justin knew they had expressed their feelings for each other, but partner? That made this a real commitment. One thing was for certain - when this was over - he would be talking with Brian about that surprising revelation.

 

"J-Justin?" Daphne asked incredulously. She turned her eyes to pierce Justin's blue ones sharply, a smile of acceptance quickly crossing her lips. "It is you. Oh my God, it really is. You look just like her... the eyes, the expressions. I can't describe it... but I just feel it."

 

"Can I see her?" Justin implored, his eyes lighting up in a hope that was doomed to be quickly shattered.

 

"I wish you could. She isn't here. In fact, I just phoned the police to report her missing... but I got the standard response of her not being missing long enough," she snapped.

 

Brian's eyes narrowed, having no doubt as to where this was leading. "May we come in? I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name."

 

"Oh yes, of course. Come inside," she waved them in with a quick movement. "Sorry. I'm Daphne... uh, I'm Molly's roommate and best friend."

 

Both men rushed inside, the younger of the two trembling at the words Daphne had spoken. "Did you say she's missing? What happened?"

 

Daphne paced back and forth in agitated fury. "A man showed up this evening stating he was an investigator hired by you to find her. Despite my warnings, she left with him. He professed himself to be from an investigation agency in Pittsburgh. I was born there. It was nothing to call home and get his story checked out. I pleaded with Molly to wait for what I found out, but he coerced her into leaving. I haven't heard from her since."

 

"Fuck!" Brian growled. "We know who has her. The good news is that I don't think he'll harm her. He's using her as leverage to get to Justin. We'll find her. I swear we will."

 

Sobs began to wrack Justin's body. "It's never going to be over. Is it, Brian? So close to finding her and it's taken away - again."

 

Brian's heart ached as he watched the devastation transforming Justin's beautiful face. He would rip Brandon apart when they caught up to him. This sick obsession would end in Brandon going down. He was determined to make sure that happened. He wanted to comfort Justin... yet, he knew there would be none. Hearing from Molly would be the only way to appease him. His voice low and husky, Brian said, "We'll find her, Justin. Brandon isn't going to hurt her. He needs her. Don't let go of that thought."

 

Justin nodded, realistically accepting that Brian's words rang true. Brandon had Molly, and he wouldn't hurt her. Doing so wouldn't give him what he wanted - him. "I know, Brian. But where do we start?"

 

"You know this guy?" Daphne demanded. "How do you know he won't hurt Molly?"

 

Brian was about to tell Daphne the twisted story of Brandon, when the phone began to ring. He looked at it sharply, needlessly telling her, "Answer that. It could be Molly."

 

Daphne ran to the phone, picking it up and whispering a frightened greeting into the receiver, her eyes widening in horror as she listened to the other end without speaking. Finally, she responded - "Thank you for calling. I'll be here waiting by the phone."

 

"Who was it?" Justin rushed forward.

 

"It was the police. Apparently, Molly escaped the vehicle she was riding in with this Brandon and fled on foot. She called 9-1-1 in hysterics. They are searching for her now. She hung up the phone before she could give a location. They don't know if she did so on her own or if he found her." Daphne uncharacteristically broke down, tears and shuddering following.

 

Brian flipped open his phone, doing the only thing he knew to do. As much as he found it uncommon for the authorities to have checked in with Daphne, he was glad they had stepped out of normal routine this time. He waited for the answer before he spoke, "Carl. I need your help. This has reached a state of emergency now." Brian looked toward Daphne. "I need Molly's cell phone number." Brian quickly rattled everything off to Carl about what he knew so far, his hope being that Carl could get a phone record of Molly's last call... one that would point them in the right direction. Brian kept Justin firmly in his sights, making certain that he was doing okay as they waited. "Don't you worry, Sunshine. If Molly uses that phone, Carl will find it. I don't intend to wait for them to bring her home. We will bring her back."

 

Justin nodded, watching in amazement as Brian handled this latest disaster with an air of calmness and certainty. It had gotten to where he felt he could read Brian so well. He knew Brian was just as worried as him. All the time and expense Brian continued to pay out, only reaffirmed his love for him, more and more. When this was over - God, he hoped it would be soon - he would prove that to Brian, over and over again. For now, getting Molly safely home and away from the twisted fucker that continued to hound him was all that mattered. Two good things had resulted in this evil. One, he knew for certain where his sister was living... and secondly, Brandon had finally crossed the line. Now, at long last, they could extricate him from their lives - once and for all.

 

TBC