- Text Size +

 

Brian watched, a smile spreading from his lips into his eyes, the emotionally charged reunion of the two twins. All the money he had spent to bring about this result now paid off in dividends. He would do it again - over and over, no stone unturned until this precise moment became Justin's reality. He had never loved Justin more than he did at this moment. Brian knew he would love Molly as well. It was vividly apparent how much she had in common with her brother. All in all, Brian thought she was simply a more emotional version of Justin. He was well aware of the threat that remained walking free outside, and cautioned himself to focus on that... yet as he looked at brother and sister tenderly embracing, he hoped to keep everything unpleasant away from this long-overdue reunion.

 

"Officers? Can I speak to you in the kitchen? Daphne, you can come too if you like." Brian motioned them away from the ecstatic siblings, knowing other matters needed to be addressed... and right now more privacy for the twins was appropriate.

 

Daphne nodded, beginning to walk ahead, looking back to see the officers hanging back hesitantly. "Is there a problem?"

 

"We need to speak with you... however, we have been given orders to watch over these two closely until the suspect is apprehended."

 

Brian thought about that for a moment, realizing that was a very good thing. Somehow, he thought that Carl had maneuvered that little development. "That's fine. How about one of you stand by the kitchen door with a clear vantage point, and the other can speak with me in the kitchen? These two have been separated for a large number of years. They really need this moment together."

 

"We've been briefed on that. A member of your Pittsburgh police force has been working very closely with our captain on this case." The officer nodded toward the kitchen. "Let's make this brief. We have been advised that this perpetrator could strike quickly. Our job is to make sure he doesn't gain access to the dorm."

 

Following the one officer inside, Brian echoed his agreement. "I think so, too. Brandon has become unhinged. He will probably surmise this to be a better time to attack, with Justin's sister rescued and returned home."

 

"Who the hell is this Brandon character? What exactly does he want?" Daphne demanded.

 

"When I first met Justin, he was working for Brandon. It was clear to see he had an unnatural obsession for Justin. I managed to get Justin away from him. We've been together ever since. Although I knew Brandon was twisted, I had no idea he was this psychotic. Now I realize he had just been watching and waiting for his opportunity to attack." Brian watched with disgust in his eyes as the officer took a step backward, immediately realizing the officer had determined they were gay... and was repelled by that knowledge. He wouldn't push those buttons now, though. All that mattered was keeping Justin and Molly safe. Playing the game with the homophobic officer was something he had to do right now.

 

Daphne nodded her understanding. "So, Brandon found out that you had located Molly and came here to lure Justin into a trap. That makes sense. What didn't make sense was anyone wanting to hurt Molly."

 

"With all due respect, ma'am - that doesn't really matter out there. Nothing makes sense with these perps... and the innocent are often victimized. It's just how the world works," the cop spoke in a more than condescending tone.

 

"Thank you for your review on society." Brian glared at the officer, thinking this was the last thing this young girl needed to hear after all they had experienced here on this night. "I asked you in here to find out what's going on regarding the search for Brandon. Until he is apprehended, both Justin and Molly are in danger."

 

The officer surveyed Brian coldly. "With all due respect, sir, I am not at liberty to discuss that with you. All that you need to know is that we are following every lead... and that we are monitoring this dormitory until the subject is apprehended."

 

"The dormitory? Do you fail to realize that this man could be a risk to this entire campus if he is roaming about freely?" Brian's nostrils flared as his anger continued to escalate. "How about this? I'll just find him myself. I know exactly how to lure him out."

 

Brian pushed through the kitchen door, ignoring the dismayed gasp that fell from Daphne's lips, along with the officer attempting to forestall him. He was moving toward the couch where Justin and Molly sat with hands clasped, speaking continuously to each other in an obvious attempt to catch up on all the missing pieces of their lives. His back tensed when both officers moved toward him.

 

"Sir! We caution you to wait."

 

"I've waited long enough. This gets settled tonight." Brian slipped into his coat, reaching for Justin's phone, hoping Brandon to be foolish enough to still have his phone on him.

 

Justin looked up startled, releasing Molly's hands, instantly standing to move to Brian's side. "Brian? What's going on?"

 

Brian smiled at Justin in what he hoped to be an expression of reassurance. "Nothing you need to worry about, Sunshine. You just enjoy your time with Molly... and keep her safe. We'll talk when I get back."

 

"Where are you going... and why are they trying to stop you?" Justin demanded to know, watching as one of the officers began to make a phone call, no doubt alerting his superior to Brian's intentions.

 

"Brandon is still out there, Justin. We both know that I can lure him out. That's what I intend to do. Then, this can be over - for all of us. Until then, neither of you are safe." Brian glanced at the frightened look on Molly's face before he looked back toward Justin. "I have a feeling he is very close. This can end tonight, Justin. It needs to end tonight."

 

Justin nodded emphatically. "I agree... but you're not doing it alone. I'm coming with you."

 

Molly gasped, before standing to her feet. She moved toward Justin, grasping at his arm urgently. "No! You can't, Justin. I just got you back. You can't go near that man again. Promise me you won't!"

 

"Listen to your sister. She needs you now. You need each other. I can't take you with me, Justin. You are what he wants. Going to him would be walking directly into his trap. I know how he thinks. I can handle him."

 

"I know you can, Brian... but I'm scared. I can't lose you." Justin's lower lip quivered. "I- I love you, Brian."

 

The officers looked away uncomfortably, Daphne smiled at them... Molly's jaw gaped open until a slow smile spread across her own face. The last reaction was the one both men were the most pleased to see. Molly knew very little about Justin's life... and even less about Brian, yet it didn't matter. She approved. Everything was going to be fine. It simply had to be now.

 

"I have a name to attach to you now, Mr. Kinney..." the officer that had radioed into his headquarters announced. "I've been told to inform you that if you do anything to jeopardize this investigation - you will be brought up on charges."

 

"So be it," Brian hissed. He moved closer to Justin, his lips slashing down to claim those of the blond he adored. "I love you too, Taylor. This ends tonight... then, we will have a life together."

 

Justin tremulously brought his fingertips to his lips, as much as he feared and understood what Brian was about to do, unable to let go of the words Brian had spoken. Tears glimmered in his eyes, as he watched Brian slip through the door. "He loves me," Justin whispered brokenly.

 

Daphne chuckled. "Well, that much was obvious. Are you just figuring that out?"

 

Molly burst forward, her arms reaching out to hug him tightly. "I had no idea, Justin... but I know it will work out. I am so happy for you... for both of you."

 

Justin hugged her tightly, kissing her lightly on the cheek before releasing her. He looked toward the officers, seeing one was radioing back in again. A look of understanding quickly passed over Justin's face as he listened to the brief conversation. His eyes accusing, Justin snapped, "You set Brian up."

 

Shrugging, the officer that had been speaking with headquarters told him, "We had been forewarned by Horvath that Mr. Kinney was volatile, and would not leave matters in the hands of the authorities. He's being trailed as we speak. This was our best chance at keeping everyone safe and apprehending the suspect. As long as Mr. Kinney makes contact with him, it should be over soon."

 

Eyes widening in unparalleled rage, Justin stormed to the door. "I'm following him. He's not facing this alone!"

 

The other officer moved quickly to intercept Justin. "I'm sorry, Mr. Taylor. That we can't allow. We are under strict orders not to allow you to leave the premises. Of course, if you'd rather, we can hold you down at the precinct until this is resolved. Here, you are with your sister and comfortable where Mr. Kinney can contact you. It's your call, sir. Do you stay here... or are we going downtown?"

 

Justin glared at them, helpless anger overwhelming him. "Fine. I'll stay. I swear to you - if anything happens to Brian, this city will have a nightmare on their hands."

 

"Justin!" Molly hissed. "You can't threaten police officers!"

 

Daphne laughed. She was liking Justin more and more. She smiled warmly at Justin, before turning a glare on the officers. "Why not? If they fuck up, then they need straightening out!"

 

Molly groaned, hoping this would be over quickly before her brother and her best friend ended up behind bars.

 

"It's okay, ma'am. We will take into consideration the stress of this unfortunate situation." The officer smiled tightly at Molly, while his eyes darted back and forth between Justin and Daphne in suspicion.

 

Justin snorted as he began to pace back and forth. "I don't care what you take into consideration. None of it matters if Brian doesn't return safely!"

 

"We have one of our best detectives following him, Mr. Taylor. I expect this will be resolved very quickly. Just try to relax in the meantime."

 

Looking at him incredulously, Justin echoed hollowly, "Relax? You want me to relax? You're out of your fucking mind!"

 

In the next instant, a gunshot was heard in the distance, along with the phone ringing almost simultaneously. Unable to stop him amidst the sudden chaos, Justin pushed the officer aside, knowing the only thing that would stop him would be if placed in restraints. He ran out of the apartment, one of the officers on his heels.

 

"Mr. Taylor, wait! You can't be out here!"

 

Justin ducked behind some trees, trying to gain some separation from the officer that sought to stop him, his hope that the darkness would be on his side. Brian needed him... and he wasn't about to let him go through this alone. If not for him, Brian wouldn't be facing this danger. He waited until he heard the officer swearing and heading back toward the dorm room when he vaulted from behind the trees and off into the direction where he thought he'd heard shots. Justin didn't have to run far when he found what had been his biggest fear, now coming to life.

 

Clutching his side with blood oozing out was Brian, his face contorted in pain, his hand holding a cloth to the wound to slow down the blood loss. Kneeling at his side, Justin's eyes began to swim with tears, as he watched Brian slowly slipping into unconsciousness. "No! Stay with me, Brian."

 

Brian's eyes slightly opened, a forced smile curving his lips. "I-it's okay, Sunshine. They got him. That's all that matters."

 

Justin's eyes moved away briefly to see Brandon sprawled across the pavement unconscious, if not dead... the apparent victim of the detective's gunshot. "W-what happened?"

 

"Mr. Kinney was stabbed. When the attacker wouldn't relent, I was forced to shoot. The EMS is en route now." The detective hunched down to check Brian's pulse. "He's still breathing. This is one brave and foolish man. If not for him, we wouldn't have captured this man so quickly."

 

Tears and sobs wracking his body, Justin hollowly whispered, "He's my whole life. I thought it was all about finding Molly... but I was so wrong." Justin laid his head on Brian's chest, sobs continuing to resonate within him. "You've got to make it, Brian. I can't live without you."

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

A/N: You trust me, right? :)