- Text Size +

Chapter 10


“When are we going to go? I’m ready to go to the airport!” Gus was very excited.  “This is the first time I’ve been on a private plane.  How big is it? Do you think I can fly the plane?”

“Which question do you want answered first?”  Justin smiled down at Gus and continued. “Once Brian and Aiden return we can pack the vehicle.  They should be home in about half an hour.” Brian had taken Aiden in for a quick blood test.  As long as nothing looked funny, Victor said they could go away for up to a month.

“I hope he is good.  And I’m not saying that because we might have to stay home. I understand.  We want Aiden healthy.”

Justin hugged Gus, “He is so lucky to have you as a big brother.  Why don’t you put on your heavy coat and go outside and play with GC for a little while.  He will have to be in the kennel for most of the flight and I will need to give him a little medicine so he isn’t too nervous.”

“Ok, you’ll call me when you hear from them?”

“Yes, of course I will.” He helped Gus with his boots before he and GC ran out into the snow. His new boots and snowsuit were packed for the trip so these were a touch snug but they would be fine for the next twenty minutes or so. Jenn, Molly and Spencer were going to meet them at the airport.  As soon as Brian arrived home Justin would text his mom so they would all end up at the plane close to the same time.  The pilot said they had an hour window and that window started in two hours which should be plenty of time for Brian to get home and for them to drive to the plane. Justin rechecked Aiden’s medication and his food and snacks. 

Brian called, “Hey, Sunshine, we are leaving now.  Aiden is already in his carseat so we should be there in about 20 minutes.”

“Alright.  The test?”

“Oh, our little guy is so brave.  He barely whimpered when they took the blood and the test came back great.  The medication is doing its job.”

“Thank god.  I will let Gus play outside for another few minutes.  It will wear them both out.”

The call ended and Justin looked out as GC and Gus went down the slide on the swing set landing head first in the snow.  Justin had to smile.  This year had changed so much.  He started out barely hanging on to his sanity after kicking Dak out and being left with an infant to take care of all by himself. And then his knight rescued him.  Brian had changed in all the right ways.  He couldn’t love him more.  They were the family he had always dreamed of.  He had started a business and it was doing well.  Lindsay had fit in perfectly but now she was ready to move on to a teaching position and he had hired someone that is a perfect fit.  He would start after the first of the year. He had never been so happy.  

Justin whistled and GC turned to look at the door.  Gus noticed and looked to see Justin waving him in.  Justin helped him out of his snowsuit and asked him to go change into the clothes he planned to wear on the plane.  Justin then pointed to the fireplace and GC laid down in front of it.  He would be all dry in a few minutes.  Justin went through the checklist in his head and as he heard the SUV pull up he texted his mom and Molly letting them know they would be heading out in half an hour.  He also let them know Aiden was doing well.  The transport to the airport arrived and soon they were on their way.

By the time they got to the small airport, Jennifer, Molly, and Spencer were carrying their small bags onto the plane. Justin carried the car seat up the steps. Gus could barely contain his excitement but helped Brian and the driver put the bags down by the plane and he led a drowsy GC up the steps.  Brian tipped the driver and carried GC’s crate into the plane’s cabin. Justin took Aiden out of his car seat so he could walk around for a few minutes before they took off.  He was a real charmer and knew his aunt Molly was a pushover when he smiled at her and flung himself into her lap. She scooped him up and cuddled her nephew while Spencer watched her. She looked up and caught his eye.

“Spenc, I know we were going to wait but…” Molly said.

“Go ahead.  I wasn’t the one who wanted to wait.”

“Mom, well everyone, Spencer and I have something to tell you.  Actually we have two things to tell you.” Molly passed Aiden over to her mom and dug in her bag before pulling out a ring which she slipped on her finger. “Spenc and I got married.”  

Jenn responded, “You’re what? I was expecting you to tell us you were engaged! When did you get married? Why didn’t I know about it?”

“Mom, we plan to have a wedding yet sometime but when Aiden was sick and we realized we were pregnant, we just wanted to get married.  I am due in May so Aiden will have a cousin just 2 years younger than he is.”

They were still all absorbing the news when the pilot asked them to get in their seats and put their seat belts on.  Justin sat next to Aiden while Brian sat across the aisle from them.  Gus sat next to Jenn while Molly and Spencer sat in the back, murmuring softly.

Once the plane was in the air, the pilot asked if Gus wanted to come sit with him for a while. Brian led him to the front and sat in the jumpseat in the cockpit.

Justin saw that Aiden had fallen asleep so he moved next to his mom and hugged her, “So Grandma, how do you feel?”

“I don’t know if I have realized yet that Molly is actually married and she is going to be a mom.”

“She will be an amazing mom.”

“Oh, I know. I guess I am just a little sad that I wasn’t there when they got married.”

“I can’t believe she did that for us and I am sorry, that is probably why you missed out on it.  I’m sorry we have been taking all your attention.”

“Oh, Justin, all of us would have done anything for that sweet little boy.” Jenn looked over at the sleeping boy.

“You know, Mom, I had no idea how much I would love a child.  I loved Gus from the day I met him but he already was so much like the man I love.  The minute I held Aiden I knew I would die for him without any hesitation and when we found out he was sick, I would have done anything to take all the pain and fear he had.”

“I am so proud of both my kids. You are the best dad I have seen, well you and Brian both and you sure didn’t learn that from your father.”

“No, I learned it from my mother.” He kissed her cheek. “I am going to talk to Mol and Spencer for a couple minutes.”

“I’ll move up next to that beautiful boy so he sees someone if he wakes up.”

Justin moved to the back and sat across from Molly and Spencer.  “I am so happy for the two of you but I feel a little guilty.  I hope you didn’t feel like you couldn’t call Mom.  We could have made it work if she had gone to see you.”

“Bro, that is so sweet but Aiden is a very small boy who needed all the support he could get and when we have our peanut, I plan to steal her at least for a while.”

“Oh, Mol, I don’t think you will be able to keep her away at that point. If I can help at all with the wedding, let me know. Oh, and if you need anything for the baby, let us know.  I have a beautiful cradle that you could use for the first few months and by the time yours needs to move up, we will probably be done with the standard crib.”

“Thanks, Justin, we may take you up on that offer.  We will be fine financially as soon as I finish my master’s which will be just before the baby comes and Spenc has been offered a position at the college. He will have his education completed by the fall. I am so glad I got the student insurance this year. ”

“Well, if you need anything, ask.  Brian and I are here if things are tight this summer.  I know soon you will be fine.”

Molly leaned forward and hugged Justin.  “Thank you, Justin. I have always been able to count on you.”

Justin heard an excited Gus talking to Brian.  “Can’t wait until we can show you our place on the mountain but right now I think I have stories to listen to.” He kissed Molly’s forehead and he stood and walked toward Gus and Brian.  As he approached his family, Brian kissed him lightly and Gus started talking excitedly about how he flew the plane.

The remainder of the flight they ate a light lunch that was supplied by the plane service and then Gus laid next to GC’s crate with a video game. Brian and Justin sat next to each other with Aiden crawling back and forth between them. Brian and Justin started kissing each other and Aiden but soon Aiden was done with it but Brian and Justin weren’t.

Jenn saw what was going from two rows back and she moved up and lifted Aiden off their laps. Brian grabbed for him, thinking he was falling but Jenn touched his shoulder for a second.  “I have him.” Brian glanced up and smiled at her before turning back to Justin and picking up where they had left off. Jenn moved back to where Gus and GC were, giving Brian and Justin a little more privacy.  And face it, she really didn’t want to see how far they were going to go.

When the pilot told them it was time to get ready to land, they were all back in their original spots and soon they were on the ground. By the time the plane was unloaded and the two Land Rovers were loaded.  Jenn, Molly and Spenc were only staying a few days so they figured this made the most sense.

By the time they arrived at the cabin, the sun was dropping and so was the temperature. GC bounded out of the Rover and ran through the snow.  Gus looked up at his dads. He didn’t speak but his eyes said it all.

“Only a few minutes.  It is too cold without all your cold weather gear but slip the boots on and you have a few minutes.  Just come when we call.” Justin kissed Gus’ head as he finished pulling on his boots, hat, and mittens and he was gone, following GC.

Jenn, Molly, and Spencer took the two bedrooms upstairs and Gus was going to camp out on the sofa, while Brian and Justin, along with Aiden, were taking the master downstairs.  The adults were settling into their rooms when Gus came running in, “Someone is coming up the driveway.  Are we expecting someone? It’s an old pickup.”

Brian strode out, “Thanks, Gus.  Why don’t you call GC in the cabin.  I will be right out.”

“Brian, who could it be?” Justin asked as he changed Aiden’s diaper.

“It’s a surprise.” Brian dropped a light kiss on his lips.  “God, I need more of you soon,” and he walked out the door. 

Brian grabbed his jacket while Gus brushed the snow off of GC before the dog dropped in front of the fireplace.  “Hey, Gus,” Brian called, “Before you take off all your stuff come back out here for a minute.”

“Dad, who is it?” Gus followed Brian outside.  Brian walked to the man by the truck and shook his hand. Gus hung back a bit until he realized what was going on.  He then rushed over to help.  Brian and the man were lifting a large Christmas tree out of the bed of the truck and then the man handed his end of the tree to Gus and handed Brian a large bag.  He waved at them, and said Merry Christmas, before getting back into his vehicle and driving away.  

“Let’s get this to the cabin.  We can put it on the porch until we are done with dinner.”

“I hope someone makes dinner soon.  I am really hungry.” Gus commented as they leaned the tree against the wall and entered the house.

“Well, I hope you are hungry for ribs and wings.” He held the bag up he had in his hand. “It will need to be heated but it shouldn’t be much more than 20 minutes and it will be ready.  I think there are some potatoes in here, too.”

Justin walked into the kitchen with Aiden in his arms.  “Hey, Gus, can you keep an eye on your brother for a few minutes.  I need to get dinner going.”

“Sure,” he took Aiden from him, “but Dad has that under control.” He took his brother by the fireplace with GC.

“You have dinner?” Justin walked up to Brian who pulled him close.  

“Don’t sound so surprised.  It’s in this bag.  It needs to be warmed a bit.” Brian kissed him and it took him a minute to let him go. He brought his lips to Justin’s ear and softly said, “I want to spend the night buried deep inside you.”

Justin shivered, “Hold that thought.  We have a house full of hungry people.” Together they put pans of meat and potatoes into the oven to warm through.  To Brian’s surprise there was also some salad and dessert in the bag and a note attached. ‘Merry Christmas! What is dinner without a side and dessert.’ It was signed by the man’s wife.

“What smells so divine?” Molly asked as she and Spenc walked into the kitchen. She peeked in the oven.  “Oh, that looks amazing.”

“Thank Brian.  He thought ahead and ordered food for us.”

“I hope it's ready soon.  She is always hungry since she is housing Junior, too.” He kissed his wife and placed a hand on her abdomen.

“I am sorry the room is a little small up there.  Is it warm enough?”

“It is perfect.  I started the fire up there.  This whole cabin is great.”

“Wait until tomorrow. The view is amazing,” Justin threw out.

“Bri, did you have him drive up here just for our dinner?”

“No, I decided I didn’t want to spend the morning hunting for a tree.  I hope you don’t mind but he brought us a tree.  I figured we could decorate it after dinner tonight or we can wait and do it in the morning because we might all be a little tired with the time change.”

“Oh, that sounds great and if I have a vote,” Molly rested her head on Spencer’s shoulder, “I would prefer tomorrow.  I am exhausted.  I plan to go to bed right after we eat.”

“Considering how quiet Gus is, I think tomorrow is best.” Brian said this as he wrapped his arms around Justin’s shoulders and kissed his neck.  It was obvious what he wanted to do after dinner. “He is sleeping on the sofa so we wouldn’t want him to have to stay up.”

“Sure, Brian, you want to spend the night playing cards with Justin.”

“Well, maybe strip poker.” As Brian said it, Justin reached back and stroked Brian’s fly. “Oh, god, don’t do that right now.”

“I have a feeling dinner is ready,” Justin pulled out the pans while Molly and Brian set the table. Soon they were all sitting around the table eating.  Aiden was obviously feeling better.  Although he was very tired, he smiled at the people who loved him most.  As the food disappeared, Aiden dropped his head on the high chair tray. He tried to keep his eyes open but eventually he lost the battle.  Justin looked at Brian, “Do you want to put him down or help clean up?”

“I think you would be more helpful here.  You know me, I’d just stick everything, as is, in the fridge.” Brian kissed Justin’s cheek and lifted Aiden out of the chair as Justin held the tray.

Jenn sent Molly and Spencer up to their room and Gus laid down on the sofa and was asleep instantly.  Jenn loaded the dishwasher while Justin put the leftovers away and then together they cleaned up the pans.

“Mom, I can finish this. You can go… ”

“I’m fine, Justin.  That little boy of ours is really feeling better, isn’t he?”

“He really is.  Mom, we couldn’t have done it without you the last couple months.  Or if we had, my business would have been forgotten.”

“Justin, you know I would do anything for you and your kids. I’m just glad I can help out.  Soon I will split my time between your place and Molly’s, if she wants me to. This is what I have been dreaming since you were kids.  Spending time with my grandchildren is keeping me young.”

“Mom, you are still young.  You really should be looking for someone to grow old with.”

“Well, son,” she pulled a funny face at him.  “Maybe I will do that when I am really old.  I love my life right now. If I need a change, I’ll let you know.” She looked at her son, “And there is nothing that makes a mom happier than to see her children happy.  I didn’t know how to tell you, but I knew you needed to be with Brian.  Neither of you could be whole without each other.”

“Mom, I knew I made a mistake but I couldn’t go back to him the way things were. And I met Dak and well….”

“It all worked out in the end.  You have that beautiful boy and you live in Pittsburgh again.”

“Life is good, Mom.  I would say all of us have had a good year.”

“Hey, everything Ok in here?” Brian strode in with a pair of sweats hanging low on his hips. “It seems to be taking longer…”

“We were just talking,” Jenn said.  She kissed Justin’s cheek. “We’re done.  I will put the last of these dishes away and you go.”

Justin started arguing but Jenn brought him to Brian’s side and she kissed Brian’s cheek before turning around and going back to the sink.  Justin walked over to Gus and covered him while Brian threw another log on the fire and then they walked back to their room.  Aiden’s crib was in the large walk in closet giving them a little more privacy and yet they could hear him. As they got in bed, Brian instantly pulled him close and kissed him, his hand traveling down Justin’s back, landing on one of his firm ass cheeks.  He pulled Justin tightly against him and then pulled Justin’s top leg onto his hip.

“I love you, Justin.” Brian said as he steadily added pressure and entered him.

“I love you, too.” They lost their ability to talk as they moved slowly in unity. And as the pace picked up, the intensity did, too.  Justin clamped his mouth together as he had an earth shattering climax, not wanting to wake Aiden who was nearby.  As Brian continued moving in and out Justin clung to him until his mouth clamped down on Justin’s mouth as he exploded. Justin held onto him tightly as they both drifted back to earth.

Justin turned his back to Brian and snuggled back, laying against him. Brian held him there with an arm draped over him as he continued to kiss Justin’s neck and shoulder.  “I wanted to do that all day.”

“You always want to do that and I rarely complain,” Justin laughed softly. He turned enough so they could kiss, their tongues playing tag from one mouth to the other. Justin turned to press himself against Brian again and their tongues continued their dance. Eventually they started talking between kisses.

“Bri, did you ever think we would be here together again.”

“Sunshine, you know I am not a praying man but I asked whoever was listening up there to bring you back to me.”

Justin smiled, “I was thinking about when we met.  This place will always be special, although I have to admit that I do appreciate the upgrades we’ve made.”

“Definitely.  I plan to take a long HOT shower with you in the morning.”

“I was thinking maybe we should add a small cabin or bunkhouse.  It wouldn’t need a kitchen.  It would just be nice if it had maybe two rooms, one with a queen size bed and the other with maybe four bunk beds. That way as the family grows we have room for them.”

“I love that.”

“When Mom and I were talking in the kitchen she was talking about the grandkids and I realized I hope someday you and I will be up here with our grandchildren and I want there always to be room for Mom and Mol.”

“Well, Gramps…” Brian kissed him which led to more touching and tasting, “I love that idea.  By then I hope we can spend a lot more time up here. You are doing so well with your business.  My clients that are working with you, too, can’t stop talking about how amazing you are.  One didn’t realize we were married and she made a comment about you being good in bed.  I assured her you were.”

“Who is it? Maybe I should try how the other half…”

Brian’s hand landed a little sharply on his ass and he jumped. “I’m the only one you are sharing that ass with.”

“I don’t think it is my ass she wants.” Justin winked at him.

Brian laughed softly, “Well, she can’t have that either.” He moved down Justin’s body, licking and nibbling. When he got to Justin’s erection he said, “This is all mine, too.”  As he took Justin in his mouth, Justin arched.

“I love you, Brian Kinney,” he said as he again orgasmed.


The next day was Christmas Eve and after eating a big breakfast Jenn and Molly made, everyone decorated the tree together.  After buying the cabin they had found a box of antique ornaments so they used them and then they spent the afternoon stringing popcorn and watching Christmas movies all together. It was fun to watch Molly and Spencer interacting with Aiden and to think that by next winter they would have one of their own.  By late afternoon, the tree was completely done.  Gus was outside with GC, bundled up so much he could barely move.

Justin and Brian watched them running around getting closer and closer to the woods.  “I wish they would move closer to the house.  We both know there are wolves and bears in the woods.” Justin said with a little note of anxiety.

“GC is with him.  His senses are always alert.” Just as Brian said this, Brian and Justin saw GC react to something.  Gus stepped closer to the dog but was frozen in his tracks as they watched something move just beyond the treeline. By now Brian was reacting.  He rushed to the back door and grabbed the BB gun they kept there.  He then rushed out with no coat or boot.  

“Gus, Gus listen to me.  Don’t turn around but start walking backward toward my voice.  I’m going to shoot the BB gun.  It will sound like a real gun, remember but it is just to scare whatever is out there.”  GC moved closer to the tree line and that’s when Brian could see the large wolf stepping closer toward GC.  He could see the hackles of the dog stand up.  Brian could tell Gus had barely moved so Brian shot the gun away from Gus but hit a tree near the wolf. It took a step back and GC took a step closer to the tree line. Brian was moving as fast as he dared, not wanting to draw the wolf’s attention. “Gus, son, put a foot back.  Come toward my voice.”

By now the whole family was on the porch holding their breath.  It was getting darker by the minute and Brian knew they had to be near the house before it was completely dark.  Brian saw movement and Gus must have to because he turned and ran as fast as he could toward Brian.  GC seemed to be everywhere at once. The dog did his best to keep the wolf’s attention while Brian grabbed Gus’ hand and rushed toward the house. As soon as he was in the full light of the house he pushed Gus toward the door where Justin pulled him into the cabin.  

Brian then started shooting in the direction of the wolf and calling GC to come.  What happened next was all a blur but Brian saw the wolf strike out toward GC.  Brian aimed the BB gun and must have hit the wolf because just as it rushed the dog, it yelped and as it stopped GC took the chance to run to where Brian was standing. And they both entered the house.

By the time Brian was in the house, Gus was already in the arms of his grandmother and aunt who were helping him out of his snow gear.  Justin rushed Brian to the living room and dropped to his knees taking off Brian’s shoes and socks. And yelling the whole time.  “What the hell do you think you were doing.  You could have been killed. I told you Gus wasn’t safe.  What if something would have happened to you? A BB gun?  Did you really think you could take care of a wolf with a BB  gun?” It was then that the full weight of what could have happened hit him.  He left Brian’s side and rushed to Gus.  “Oh, Gus, are you alright?” Justin held him tightly for a few moments.

“Justin, is Dad alright? I froze.  I couldn’t move and then I did just what Dad told me not to do.  I was so ….”

“Oh, Gus, you did fine and you and your dad are safe.”

“But is GC alright.  He was so brave!”

That was the first time he thought about the dog.  Justin turned and started looking for GC.  Justin realized there was something on the floor and then he realized it was blood.  He rushed into the living room to find GC on the floor next to the fireplace.  Brian was already looking the dog over.

“Sunshine, go get a towel, something I can use as a bandage.” Justin followed the directions and threw some towels at Brian as he rushed to the bathroom. He grabbed the first aid kit they kept in there.  As he came back he started looking around realizing he hadn’t seen Aiden but then he realized Molly had him in his highchair and she and Spenc were making dinner.  Gus was still in Jennifer’s arms but he seemed much calmer.  He wished he could calm down.  

“Brian, how bad is it?”

“That wolf definitely got a claw in him but I only see the one slash and it seems mostly superficial.” He removed the towel and Justin saw a nasty gash but the bleeding seemed to be under control.

“I don’t know that dogs and humans are the same but I figure we can put some of this on and then wrap it up.” Justin handed him a tube of antibacterial ointment.  Brian wiped the wound once more and then applied the ointment and wrapped the leg before putting tape around it all.  “I’m no doctor or vet but I think this will work.” Brian stopped and looked up.  “Gus, where’s Gus?”

Gus heard his name and came running from the kitchen into his father’s arms. “Oh, Dad, I’m sorry.  I didn’t listen to you.  I tried but I….Oh, no!  GC! Is he alright?”

Brian held onto Gus tightly.  “He is going to be fine, I think.  It is a deep scratch but as long as it doesn’t start bleeding again I think he will be alright. And Gus, you didn’t do anything wrong.  I probably would have done the same thing as you if I had been in the same situation. GC was a brave dog and you were very brave.”

Justin noticed Brian was shivering and draped a blanket over Brian and Gus’ shoulders and then he went to the kitchen. He started making a salad without saying a word. After Jenn checked on the things in the oven, she walked over to her son and put her arm around his waist but he shrugged it off. “Honey, everyone is….”

“Mom, not now.  I need to….”

Jenn kissed Justin’s cheek.  Justin had always had to deal with things on his own terms. He just needed to process what happened.  She had a feeling Brian would be getting an earful tonight but hopefully by tomorrow he would have it out of his system.

By the time everyone sat down for dinner, Gus told everyone the story again.  It was already gaining threads that made it more extreme than it probably was but Gus gave all the credit to his brave pup.  GC was given a large piece of steak for his bravery. Justin remained quieter than usual throughout the meal. He smiled at Gus and hugged him when he got up to start a movie for everyone to watch.  Everyone helped clear the table and when Justin said he would finish up the last pan he sent everyone out of the kitchen.  Brian hung back and waited for everyone else to leave.  He closed the door between the two rooms and took a deep breath to prepare for the fight.

“Sunshine,” Brian said softly, resting his hand on the nape of Justin’s neck.  Justin shrugged away but Brian just put his hand back where he had laid it.  He moved in very close, trapping Justin between the counter and Brian’s body. “I know. If I had listened to you moments earlier Gus wouldn’t have been in danger.  You were right.  Is that what you want to hear? I would die before I let anything happen to either of our sons.  I knew GC would guard him I….I fucked up, and I am so…”

Justin hurled himself at Brian, nearly knocking him over. He held onto Brian’s neck so tightly Brian could barely breathe. Justin’s whole body was trembling now as he began to sob. He had been holding it together for so long.  All through Aiden’s health issues he had stayed strong but this had been the last straw for his emotional dam.  It burst and flooded over.  Brian just held him.  Brian moved to one of the chairs and Justin sat on his lap, resting against his body. After a few minutes Gus peeked in the room. He quietly walked in. “Is everything alright, Justin? You’re missing the movie.”

“Everything’s fine, Gus.  Justin and I will be in, just give us another five minutes.”

“Justin,” Gus walked over and hugged both his dads.  “I’m sorry if I made you so sad.”

“Oh, Gus, I’m not sad. I am just so relieved everyone, including GC, is good but you do have to promise me you won’t go that close to the woods again, at least not that close to dark.”

“I’m sorry you were scared. I love you, Justin.”

“Gus, I love you so much.  I am so glad our whole family is safe and doing well.  You do watch the movie.  We will be right in.”

Gus bounded out of the room.  The fear of earlier in the day was gone and the excitement of Christmas was now palpable. Justin stood and offered his hand to Brian who took it and stood and then pulled him into his arms and kissed him.  “Let’s go watch the movie.  We are going to have to get the presents from Santa under the tree with Gus sleeping right there.”

“We’ll manage.  He will sleep well tonight.” Brian and Justin moved into the living room with the rest of the family.  Brian pulled Justin onto his lap in the overstuffed chair and as a family they all laughed together and when the movie finished, everyone went to bed. Aiden woke when they came on and began fussing so Justin looked at Brian, “Go get him.  He can sleep between us for now.  We can put him back in the crib when we get up to put the presents under the tree.”

Aiden fell back to sleep almost immediately.  Brian and Justin talked softly about the past six months and everything that had happened.  Gus had adjusted so well to living with them and the fact that Melanie and Lindsay were working on their marriage had made a big difference.  He now had two sets of loving parents with stable homes.  Justin’s new business was thriving and Brian’s continued to grow.  The fact that Aiden was sleeping so comfortably between them now with no sign of pain or discomfort was the best thing of all.  He seemed to be getting stronger every day.  Brian ran the back of his hand along Justin’s jaw and then tilted his head and he leaned over to kiss him.

It was midnight and Brian and Justin were both dozing off and on.  “Gus has to be asleep. I’m glad most of the presents are under the tree already.  If you grab the presents from Santa I will block Gus’ view of the tree.  If he wakes up, I’ll just tell him I was checking on GC.”

After putting Aiden in his crib, Brian and Justin made quick work of getting the Santa gifts under the tree and they climbed back into bed and soon the house was completely silent except for the crackling of fires and a soft snoring from some of the sleeping people.


Brian and Justin woke to Aiden calling for them.  “Dada….Papa?” 

Brian rolled out of bed and hugged his little boy before dropping him on the bed next to Justin.  He had barely gotten back under the covers when there was a soft knock.  “Are you awake? I thought I heard you.” Gus was in the hall.

“Come on in, Gus.” Justin said.

“Can we open presents? Santa was here? I don’t know how he got to the tree without me seeing him. I mean I was right by the fireplace.” 

“Well, I will go make sure it is safe for GC to go out and I will start the coffee.  Why don’t you help Justin change Aiden and I think the rest will be down very soon.  Once they smell the coffee, they’ll be awake.” Brian kissed Gus on the top of his head.  “Merry Christmas, Gus.

At 7:09 a.m., everyone was in the living room. Jennifer had stuck breakfast in the oven and all the adults were sipping steaming coffee while Gus had hot chocolate. More than once GC took a taste of the hot chocolate when Gus wasn’t looking.  

Gus passed out all the packages.  The adults watched the boys open their gifts.  Aiden squealed with joy when he saw his new toys.  Each boy had gotten four gifts.  One from Jenn. One from Molly and Spencer. One from their fathers and one from Santa.  They had decided their kids didn’t need more stuff so they had gone to several places and gave gifts for those who wouldn’t have much for Christmas.  They could give their boys everything they needed but they wanted to teach them how to give back to others.  

Once the kids were done opening the adults opened their gifts. Gus had made something for everyone and they all were touched by his thoughtfulness.  The remainder of the day they played games around the table and later started a puzzle.  GC acted as if nothing had happened the day before although he did seem to keep closer to the house.

As night fell, Jenn, Molly and Spencer spent time packing.  They were leaving in the morning. They had planned to stay one more day but a storm was moving in and Molly and Spencer had to go to Spencer’s family and tell them the good news so they had decided to leave a day early.


It began to snow before sundown on the 26th.  They had gotten word from Jenn they had arrived home safely so Brian and Justin, along with their boys were all alone in the comfortable mountain cabin.  After the small family had eaten dinner the wind began to blow. Gus moved upstairs and was ready for a little time alone.  GC went upstairs and immediately jumped on bed with his boy.  Aiden was also put to bed upstairs with a baby monitor.  Brian and Justin sat in front of the fireplace listening to the wind blow as they drank whiskey.

Justin laid his head on Brian’s shoulder, “Are you having flashbacks?”

“Except for a fridge full of food and warmth, and hot water, and….”

“Way to ruin the romantic mood.” Justin laughed as he took a sip of the amber liquid.

“Justin Taylor, yes the setting right now does bring back so many memories of when we met but, I don’t need all this to remember how much I love you.  It was in this place when I knew I would never find someone else to love.  You were the only person made for me.  Yes, this place is special but it is special because you and I are here together. And this is where we found each other. I know we both made mistakes but we realized it  and now we are here again.”  Brian raised his class and Justin tapped it with his own.  “To New Beginning.” Brian kissed Justin.

“To New beginnings,” Justin said and drained his glass. “Brian?”

“Yes, Sunshine?”

Justin stood and offered Brian his hand, “Let’s go to bed.”

“Now that is something I will never argue with.” And with that, Brian led the way to the bedroom as they heard a wolf howl in the distance.

 

The End


The End.
Simply written is the author of 42 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked The Man I HATE?2 A New Beginning also liked 414 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Cabin in Montana. The previous story in the series is The Man I HATE?. The next story in the series is The Man I Hate? 3 Let's Discuss Gus.