- Text Size +

Chapter 7

 

Sunday afternoon the family headed home.  Gus couldn’t stop talking about the amazing waterslides and the wave pool.  Justin and Brian had taken turns spending time with Gus and Aiden.  Jenn enjoyed the time  between swimming herself or being with Aiden.  She took Aiden back for naps and while he slept she would check on her office and Gus had both his dads to hang out with.  

By the time they had left, Gus was still keyed up but about an hour down the road the seat was quiet.  When Justin glanced back he saw the boys were napping and his mom was reading a book.  He reached over and took Brian’s hand.  He moved it to his mouth and kissed it.  Brian looked over and smiled at him.

“Love you, Bri.  Did you remember to text Ted? Is he going to have GC back at the house when we get there?”

“He and Victor are coming by around 6:00 to bring him back.  They are picking up the key to the cabin.  They leave tomorrow for Montana.  Ted and I have to go over just a couple things.  I promise it won’t be more than an hour but since he isn’t coming into work for the next week…”

“Darling, that’s fine.  We are both business men and there are times this stuff happens.  We just have to limit it and mostly, let the other one know what is going on.”

“I know, Sunshine, I just….trust me, I’d rather be with you and the boys.”

“Do we have to have dinner for them?”

“They insisted on bringing dinner over.  I think we will be having fried chicken.  Ted told me it is one of Victor’s favorites but he doesn’t eat it unless there is a special reason.” 

Justin smiled, “I like Victor a lot.  Ted deserves someone like him.”

Brian squeezed his hand, “You’re right. He does.  Ted said he had a suggestion of a counselor for Gus.  With us getting married and his moms so shaky, everyone thinks he should have someone to vent to.”

“I agree.”  By now Jenn had dozed off, too. Justin slid his hand into Brian’s lap and began to rub his crotch. “I really am glad Ted and Victor are going to use the cabin.  It is the perfect place to really fall in love.”

Brian gently took Justin’s hand away from his lap.  “I couldn’t agree with you more. It worked for us, twice.”

“Maybe they will come back engaged or married.”

“They could.  There is no waiting period in Montana.” Brian threw out.

“Why do you know that?” Justin asked, curious.

“I looked it up.  In the three years we were apart I often thought about showing up at the cabin when I knew you were there but then you were with Dumbo…”

“Daklin…”

“Whatever.  You weren’t free so I knew it was a dream.”

“Until this year.” Now Justin started getting suspicious. 

“I told you I hung around hoping I would run into you.”

“Yes, but I didn’t know you had planned that much.”

“Sunshine, I had nothing planned except to see you.  Fate gave us the storm. I knew then that even the universe knew we were meant to be together.”

“Maybe subconsciously I hoped you would be there.  I was so tired. I was so lonely.”

“It still took you over two months to follow me.”

“Mr. Kinney, I didn’t follow you.  I had planned to come here.” Justin tried to sound miffed but he had to smile.  “I actually really hoped I would come to my senses but you were back in my blood and I knew I wouldn’t belong anywhere but with you.”

“I’m not sure if that was a dis or a compliment,” Brian smiled at Justin. “It really doesn’t matter.  We all won.”

Justin looked in the back and noticed Gus was holding Aiden’s hand and he nearly melted. “Yes, we all won.”


They stopped once more before for some ice cream and so the boys could move around for a few minutes before they drove the last hour.  They pulled into the drive about 5:00 and once they were in the house, Justin insisted his mom was off duty.

“Thank you, Mom, for everything you did this weekend.  Go take a hot bath or call Molly.  Come back down for dinner at 6:00.”

“Honey, thank you, but if you don’t mind I think I will skip dinner.  I know I have stuff to eat at my place, and nothing personal, but I need a little alone time.”

“Oh of course!  Thank you for everything you did for us this weekend.” After Justin hugged her, Brian did the same thing.

“Jenn, thank you for everything. If we ever start taking advantage of you, please tell us.”

“I will, Brian.” Jenn picked Aiden up as he walked past and gave him a hug and as put him back on the floor Gus came over and hugged her.

“Bye, Grandma.  Thanks for letting me call you that.  My other grandmas are just not as cool as you are. I love you.” Gus blushed as he grabbed his bag and ran up the steps.

“Well, now I am going to go cry with happiness and leave you alone.”  Jenn started to leave but turned around at the last minute, “Brian, he is such an amazing boy.  His moms might be struggling but they have taught him the important things like how to love and be himself.”  With that she walked into the garage garage on her way to her apartment.

Brian picked up Aiden and then wrapped his free arm around Justin. “I love you.  I love our family.” Brian kissed him and then kissed Aiden who was starting to fuss. “Do you want to take this little guy and bathe him before our company gets here? I’ll start a load of wash and open some wine.”

“Thanks, Brian.” Justin kissed him before taking Aiden and going up the steps with him.

An hour later when the doorbell rang, Justin answered it with Aiden in his arms. 

“Well, this must be Aiden,” Ted said as they walked in the door, nearly tripping over GC as he barreled up the steps and turned toward Gus’ room. Ted let Aiden take his finger. In his other hand he held a carrier.

“This is a beautiful boy,” Victor said as Aiden immediately took to him and leaned toward him. Victor looked at Justin for permission and Justin handed his son to the doctor. Ted walked through to the kitchen with a bag that could only contain food from the aroma coming from it. Brian and Victor followed into the kitchen where Brian was pouring wine.  

“It is so kind of you to lend us your cabin.” Victor commented as Justin took his son and put him in his playpen.

“I am glad you can use it.” Brian said as he handed Victor a glass of wine. It is a very special place and this time of year it is beautiful.  I hope you packed winter clothes.  The nights will get cold but there is plenty of wood and if you don’t want to mess with the fire there is heat.”

Ted sipped his wine, “I have seen so many pictures.  I can’t wait to see it. I remember when you two met up there.”

“Just beware that the weather changes quickly.” Justin slipped an arm around Brian’s waist.

“I can’t believe I haven’t asked.  How was the wedding?” Ted  asked his friends.

Brian instantly pulled Justin closer and Justin’s head dropped onto Brian’s shoulder but the voice didn’t come from either of them.  “It was really cool.  The wedding was short and the hotel and waterpark were so cool!” Gus said from the doorway.

“Hey Gus, do you remember our friend Ted?” Gus nodded to Justin.  “Well this is Ted’s friend, Dr. …”

“You can just call me, Victor, young man.” He offered his hand to Gus who shook it before walking over to his brother.

“It sounds like you had a very nice weekend.”

“We did.  It will be better when we get the paperwork signed so I have custodial rights for Gus and Brian legally adopts Aiden.  I don’t like limbo.  I mean what if gus needs to see a doctor and Brian isn’t here?”

“Well, if Brian tells me I may, I will always be willing to treat both your children.”

“Victor, whatever Justin has to say goes for me too. I trust him with my children far more than I trust myself.”

“Of course you are going to want to get it legal,” Ted said logically.

“Listen to my love.  He is right, of course.” Victor slipped his arm around Ted and kissed his cheek.

“Gus’ mom is working on that.  She should have it done for Justin to sign within a week,” Brian responded.

“And I am trying to get my ex to sign the final paperwork.  He is supposed to have done that already but since I left the state of Washington and now have moved here, there is a little bit of legal maneuvering we need to do.”

“Justin, no one can take Aiden, can they?” Gus asked nervously.

“Oh, no Gus, nothing that serious.  The judge made it clear Aiden belongs with me.  It is just that if he won’t sign the paper we have to have a judge do a little paperwork and that takes a little while.”

“Is everyone ready to eat?” Ted changed the subject and all of them sat down at the table. They all ate their fill of chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy.  

When the meal was done, Victor and Ted made a gracious exit, cabin key in hand and Gus went up to his room.  He had school in the morning.  For some reason he wasn’t dreading it as much  as he usually did.  He knew some kids would still make fun of him.  He now lived with his dads but they were married and they loved him.  That’s all that mattered to him.

Brian and Justin cleaned up the kitchen and Justin offered to switch out the laundry while he went to check in with Gus and make sure he didn’t have any homework. By the time they had both boys sleeping and they got in their own bed, Brian said, “I am going to have Cynthia hire a cleaning service for us.  Do you think if someone comes two days a week, that will be enough?”

“I think so.  Mom doesn’t mind helping out some but everything would be too much.”

“Ya, your mom doesn’t have to be folding my briefs or lack of them.” He kissed Justin’s neck and he pulled him close. “Have you heard from Mel about your custody issues.”

“No, I am meeting her for lunch tomorrow so we can get everything signed and she will send it to Dak’s lawyer.  Brian, what if he refuses to sign?”

“Then we will go to court. I’m not worried about this, Sunshine.  Derk cannot win against the two of us.”

“But what if….”

“What if we find something to distract you right now?” Moments later Brian had Justin’s cock in his mouth and his mind was only focused on that.

The next month flew by.  Halloween was quickly approaching.  Mel and Lindsay had been working really hard and seemed to be making good progress.  Gus had spent plenty of afternoons with one or both of them but he was going to be with them for Halloween weekend.  He knew his dads and his own bedroom were  just a few minutes away if anything went bad while he was there.  When Mel stopped by she was bringing some legal papers along for Justin to sign and a couple things for Brian to complete, too. 

“Hey, Mel, thanks for bringing these by.  I have been so busy at work, I hardly have time to eat a sandwich at my desk, let alone go somewhere.”

“Sounds like you could use more help.”

“I could but I hate the thought of trying to find someone with an art background that I could trust to be in charge of the actual art department.  I mean the whole place is an art department but I need someone I can trust to make sure people are on the right track and then I can do the second and final look at things.”

“Justin, I don’t want to mention the obvious but Lindsay isn’t happy where she is. She has the art background and you know you can trust her.”

“Do you think she might actually think about it?”

“Talk to her. It can’t hurt.”

“Mel, what is going on with my case in Washington?”

“Well, I just heard today that they finally served him with papers.  His lawyer has called me and said that Daklin wants to share custody if not have full custody.”

“Well, that is happening on a cold day in hell,” Brian commented as he walked into the kitchen.

“The judge agrees but because he is on the birth certificate, he does have some rights.”

“What is he asking for?” Justin asked tentatively.

“He wants shared custody, which, the way he wants it set, would mean you would have to live in Washington.”

“Well, we all know that isn’t going to happen. If it comes to money, I can take a loan out against my company.  Whatever it has to be, Aiden isn’t leaving here.”

“Just to let you know, his lawyer said Daklin is thinking about coming out here to fight this in person on this end. He has threatened to file in the Pittsburgh courts.

“Hey, Mama, I’m ready.  Are you done with my dads?” Gus stood in the door with excitement on his face. “When is the party? Are we going there now? Should I put my costume  on?”

“No, Gus, it isn’t until tomorrow night.  Tonight your mom has something planned for you though.  Give me two minutes to finish getting these papers signed.”

“Oh, I’ll go say goodbye to GC.  I kissed Aiden before I came downstairs. Grandma said she will be down soon.”

“It is so nice to hear him call her grandma. I miss him like hell but I can see how happy he is here and Lindz and I are really doing a lot better.  We both had some issues.  Some of them we knew about but some came as a surprise to both of us.  We are both to blame but we are both trying now.”

“We can tell and so can Gus.” Justin signed the last of the papers and Brian pulled him close.  It is official.  You have the right now to make decisions for Gus. We will get you copies of all this once I get them stamped at court and then you can get copies to the school and the doctor’s and wherever else it needs to go.”

“Thanks, Mel.  You know I love him as much as Aiden.”

“We know that or we would have fought it.  We are all co-parents.  We all want what’s best for our son.” Mel waved at Gus to come in and after he hugged and kissed both his dads, they were gone.

Brian pulled Justin into his arms.  “He is not going to get our boy.  Don’t worry about that.”

“Bri, you don’t know Daklin.  I didn’t know who he really was until we were getting divorced.  He is a very spoiled man that wants anything he is told he can’t have.  Brian he is successful, too.  He might….”

“Justin, we have one thing you can’t buy.”

“What is that?”

“We are surrounded by love and support. Judges look at that kind of thing.”

“I know but…” Justin stopped talking as he heard Aiden crying.  “I’m going to get Aiden and tell Mom to get out of here for the weekend.  Molly is so excited she is coming.”

“Mom, what’s up with Aid?” Justin walked in to see his mom trying to get him to settle down.

“I’m not sure.  I don’t think he feels well. I can stay…”

“Mom, we love you and are so thankful for everything you do for us but we can take care of our son and you need to go spend time with your daughter.”

“I know he is in good hands but don’t be mad if I call and check on him tomorrow.”

“I love you, Mom.  Give Molly a hug for me.”

Justin decided if Aiden had a bug maybe just a bottle would be best right now.  As he started to text Brian to bring a bottle up, Brian walked in the door.  He handed Justin the bottle.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” he bent and kissed Aiden’s forehead.  “He doesn’t feel warm.”

“No, he doesn’t. It is probably just a bug.”

Aiden took the bottle and as soon as the bottle was empty, he immediately fell asleep. Justin laid him in bed and Brian stood next to him, kissing him on the temple.  “Come on, Sunshine.  I turned the monitor and I have the second one on my waistband. You need something to eat, too.”

Brian had ordered a pizza before he had gone up and soon they were sitting in front of the fireplace eating pizza. “How many times this week did you skip lunch?” Brian asked as Justin took a bite of pizza.

“A couple times. I know I need to eat better. Mel thinks Lindsay might be willing to come work for me.  She hasn’t found the job she wants and if she works with me she would be working with art.  I could use someone with experience with real art knowledge.”

“I think that could really be a good fit.”

“I’ll talk to her Monday, I promise.”

They talked as they ate and when they had eaten almost the whole pizza,  Justin started unbuttoning Brian’s shirt.  “It isn’t often we are home and know no one can walk in on us. He pushed Brian onto his back on the floor. He started to slowly work his way down Brian’s body. When Justin started to lick his belly button over and over, Brian was nearly mad with need. He was sure if Justin’s tongue entered it again he was going to lose control but as he started to grab for Justin, Aiden screamed upstairs. Justin was gone before Brian could even react. He was only two steps behind him but by the time Brian entered the nursery, Justin already had Aiden in his arms.  

After Justin had tried to calm him down for half an hour, Brian took over.  He realized Aiden looked pale but he still didn’t have a fever at all and he wasn’t coughing or throwing up.  Eventually he fell asleep and Brian placed him back in the crib.

Brian saw how worried Justin was.  He had to admit he didn’t like how Aiden looked but he also knew kids had this happen from time to time. They couldn’t tell you what was wrong.  “Justin, if he is still off tomorrow, we can call Victor and see if he will look at him.  Maybe he has an earache.  He could have pain from that and they don’t always get a fever.”

“Do you think Victor will be available?”

“Well, if he isn’t I am sure he can connect us with one of his partners.  I think we should just get some sleep while we can.  I hope he sleeps the rest of the night but we both know he could be up most of the night, especially if it is an earache.”

“Brian, I wish he could just tell us what hurts or what is bothering him.”  Brian tugged off Justin’s shirt and as Justin undressed the rest of the way, Brian stripped and both of them got into bed.  

Brian stroked Justin’s chest and arm until he thought he was asleep but Brian couldn’t find sleep so he slipped out of bed and grabbing his robe and a blanket he walked into the nursery.  He sat in the rocking chair with the blanket wrapped around him.  He sat and watched Aiden’s breathing.  Was Aiden’s heart beating too fast?  Eventually Brian fell asleep.  

About 6:00 a.m. Brian woke up to Justin kissing him. Brian got up and the two of them walked out of the nursery.  I woke up and you weren’t there.”

“I couldn’t sleep so I went in there.  He slept all night but in an hour or so I will call Victor and we will get him checked over. I am not jumping to conclusions because babies have all kinds of things that are nothing serious.  I need a cup of coffee.”

About 7:30, Brian called Victor.  Ted picked up Victor’s phone, “Hey Brian, Vic’s in the shower.What’s going on?”

“Glad I didn’t wake you.  Aiden isn’t himself and I was wondering if Victor could get us in at his place this morning.  It is probably nothing but he is usually such a healthy kid.”

“He should be out in ten minutes or so.  I will have him call you.”

“Thanks, Ted.  So are the two of you getting married soon?”

“Brian, we just told our families about the wedding.  We are talking about after the first of the year.  It’s kind of silly but we are talking about a Valentine’s Day wedding.”

“Ted, if you want to get married February 14, go for it.” Aiden started crying. “I better go.  Aiden is crying again.”

“I’ll have Victor call soon.”

As Brian took Aiden, Justin made him some breakfast.  As Justin held the little boy and fed him, Brian got a text.  It was from Victor and said he would be there within the hour.

“Victor is on his way.  He will be here in an hour or so.”

“Thank goodness.  This just isn’t normal for my boy. He has me so spoiled because he has always been so good.”  Justin commented as he fed Aiden who was calmer now.”

“I agree, something has to be bothering him. Sunshine, why don’t you go and shower.  I’ll finish here and then I’ll shower when you are done.

By the time they had both showered, Victor, along with Ted had arrived.  Victor checked Aiden’s ears and they were clear.  He noticed he was pale but he didn’t have a fever.  His heartbeat and breathing were rapid but he was also worked up.

“At first glance, I don’t see anything to worry about.  He isn’t going to be happy but I am going to draw some blood.  We can check out several things with that sample.  For now, because he looks so pale, I wonder if he isn’t a little anemic. I will have the pharmacy send over some vitamins with iron.” He realized Aiden was now calm and almost asleep again in Justin’s arms.  Aiden barely noticed Victor drew blood.  He whimpered softly but that was all he did.

Justin stayed where he was with Aiden in his arms while Brian offered Ted and Victor some coffee.  “I can’t thank you enough for coming.”

“That’s what friends are for.  If you call my office on Monday and give them your insurance information, we will be able to run the blood tests.”

“Victor, is there something you are really worried about?”

“Well, we all know there are thousands of things out there but I have no reason to think it is anything serious.  I just want to cover all the basis and get this sweetheart feeling back to his old self. How old is he?”

“He is about 18 months.”

“Ok, someone from my office might give you a call for more information.   What does Justin know about the mother.  Ted filled me in that it was a surrogate.  Does he have a full medical report from her?”

“He does. I will send the file to  Ted’s email.”

“I want to look at her records.  I am a pediatrician but I specialize in genetics.  This vial of blood should give me all I need and now, I want to get it to the office.”

Soon, Aiden was again sound asleep and Justin held on to Brian tightly.  “Victor wasn’t hiding something was he?”

“I think he doesn’t know anything but he will find out if it is anything more serious than an iron deficiency.  Justin, Victore will figure this out.”

“Damn, Brian, what if it is more serious and Daklin gets custody.  I couldn’t stand him being sick and away from me.”

“Oh, Sunshine, don’t jump to conclusions.  You know, he’s sleeping now and you and I have the house alone.  I can think of something that might distract us….”

Justin took Brian’s hand and moved over to the sofa where he pushed Brian backward. “I don’t know if this will help but if this doesn’t, nothing will.”