- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10 - MEETING THE PARTNERS


BONDERSHAFT & MILLS, ATTORNEYS AT LAW - TWO HOURS LATER


TED’S OFFICE SEATING AREA


LINDSAY


I look at my watch again; I’m the only person here. Uncle George and Michael seem to be running late, but haven't contacted me to say where they are. Well I’m not ringing them! Another source of annoyance is still no word from Brian. I’ll bet he’s hanging around with the half-breed and the gorgon. 


The door opening brings in some woman, she looks surprised then unimpressed. 


“Who are you and should you be here?”


“My late father was the chairman!” I glare at her. “So as his daughter, I can come and go as I please!”


“I’ve been at this company for over 20 years, and the very much alive chairwoman has a son!” She glares back. “Now will you leave without me calling security?!”


“Mabel?! What is going on?!” Ted demands as he enters. “Oh, Lindsay, why are you here?”  He looks at his watch. “George said you were meeting at HQ in ten minutes. Hope you told him about coming here first, as he didn't mention it. What business do we have to discuss?”


Before I can save face, Mabel harrumphs and opens the door wider. “Don’t lie anymore than you have. I maintain his diary, you don’t feature.” 


“I we, Well I’ll see you over there then.” He starts to turn back the way he came. I clear my throat, he pauses to toss an impatient yes over his shoulder. 


“I knew you were going to be going over there. I wanted to speak to you about something else. I will just wait and we can share a cab or Vic.” I flick Mabel a scornful look whilst making myself comfortable.


“No you didn’t, so no you can’t.” Ted returns coolly. “When I said I’d see you over there, I meant in a ship that might pass in the night kind of way. I will be there after your meeting ends.”


“Ergo, Ms Trespasser, you’ll be leaving. Edith!” She bellows like a birthing cow; a young girl comes scurrying in. “You need to take this person out.”


“So this is where you crept to?!” She sneers. “I’m so sorry to both of you. She asked for the bathroom, when I went to check on her, she’d gone!” 


“Ah, you did, did you?” Mabel huffs as she and Edith approach. “We’re going to help you leave!” 


“I’ll not be manhandled!” I exclaim, grabbing my bag to use as a shield.


“Don’t flatter yourself, no man with half a cock or lesbian with a strap on would touch you!” 


“How dare you?!” I scream at the cold tones of my former home designer. 


“I will ruin you!” I fume.


“How?!” He laughs, they smirk. “Allow me to extinguish the ignis fatuus you have. Nobody will pay any attention as you’re an ineffectual idiot.” He perches on the side of the table, looking like a vulture. “Now, you are eating into my client's time, go give yourself some relief.” He stands, joining a stunned Ted in the doorway. “In other words, go fuck yourself, as you’re the only person that will!” 


Their laughter follows me out of the building.


PETERSON ESTATES - TWO HOURS LATER


CONFERENCE ROOM


MICHAEL 


I feel so sorry for Lindsay. I’ve experienced the stroppy behaviour of Mabel, who seems to take politeness tips from Emmett. As for Ted’s boyfriend, he’s always been a schmuck.


We look to the door at the sound of voices. “Finally!” She justifiably gripes since we’ve been waiting ages. “That’s Uncle George, let’s get this over and done with.”


As it opens, I’m surprised when Ma comes in, followed by Emmett and Uncle Vic. I’m about to ask what they’re doing here when another woman comes in, followed by a very unhappy looking George.


“This is the lady you’re after.” He points at Lindsay, who looks confused. “You can speak to her afterwards.” 


“Thank you, George.” The woman replies before sitting to the side of the table after glaring at Lindsay. “I do not like being messed about, Ms Peterson. The cost of my flight will be added to your bill. You’d better have your papers with you.”


“I doubt that very much.” George sighs. “I can get copies made for you, would that help being in her company less?”


“Immensely.” She replies.


“And you are?” Lindsay demands.


“Melanie Marcus, the junior partner of your attorney, who has been trying to get hold of you for the past week.” She retorts. “It was only because of Brian that I was able to get an idea of your location!”


“Brian? Why would he be giving out my private information?” She demands just as the man in question enters. Instead of giving him a tongue lashing, she breaks out into a smile. “Ah, there you are, Brian, how have you been? Where’s Daphne?” 


I can’t understand her change in behaviour considering how he's behaved. As her now friend, I feel it is my place to point this out. “Brian, you owe her an apology as well as an explanation for your behaviour! And whilst we’re on the subject of being mistreated, where’s Justin?”


“Whoever the hell you are, butt out. He owes her nothing.” Melanie stands up, and much to our surprise, kisses him on the cheek. “Thanks for the help. I think I will join George in that drink afterwards, judging by that ghastly geste she has. Why does she need to speak to Daphne though?”


“Why’d you think?” George whinges. “Let’s get this started, shall we?” He heads to the other end of the room; opening the cabinet reveals Justin on screen. “Daphne!” He yells. She strolls in and sits next to Emmett. “When they're done, you can have the room for your meeting with her.”


LINDSAY


Well it’s about time someone defended me, shame it's not Brian! But as close to the cusp I am, losing my temper will not get me what I want right now, which is him on his own. Once we’re by ourselves, he will be guilted back into his place. As for this Marcus woman, I had seen her emails, etc, but want to deal with the organ grinder, not the metaphorical monkey! 


Uncle George hands me the Tiffany’s bag. I nudge Michael and we approach the gorgon. 


“Daphne, on behalf of Michael and myself, please accept our apologies for the loss of your bracelet and accept this one in its place.” As I put the bag in front of her, something catches my eye. “Brian, uh, when and where did you get that watch?”


He smiles as he looks at it. “From Justin, it's the deposit.” 


I gulp down my angry riposte. “That’s a large deposit for one room.” 


“It's for the house, all of it.” The halfbreed declares. 


“Excuse me.” The gorgon, in the interim, has taken out the bracelet. “This is an adequate replacement I suppose, an expensive lesson for you two to not touch what does not belong to you.” She has the effrontery to throw it in her purse. “So, are Brian and I needed for this next bit, George?”


“Please, could you stay?” The halfbreed simpers. “I need you to sign something on my behalf for my partner, Brian, as a witness.”


“Partner?!” I gasp. “What do you mean?” 


“You were there when this was agreed, as were we all.” Emmett sneers. “But as you seem to be forgetful in all aspects of your life unless you’re trying to wrest Brian into your knickers, let me remind you. Your late father left the majority of both businesses to Justin. You’re lesser in every sense of the word. As for Michael, Debs, Vic and I are here to assist Jennifer in her side of the partnership in the store.”


“What do you mean?” Michael scowls at him before softening his expression towards the halfbreed. “Sadly, as she’s now passed away, there is no partnership.”


“Oh, please, don’t be obtuse.” Uncle George scolds him. “She obviously made a will, leaving her side of the partnership to Justin, which he has sold to Brian. He's your partner now.” 


MICHAEL


“I don't want him to be my partner! Why have you done that, Justin? I wanted this business to be for us!” 


“It’s not something I’m interested in.” Justin replies. “Never have been. Brian understands the value of these things.”


“I've been looking at the accounts.” Brian pulls out a raft of papers and his laptop. “The business is sound, which is as it should be; you’ve bought well. However, it does seem a somewhat one sided arrangement. Tell me, what happened to the last injection Jennifer gave you? It was $10000. Neither the stock bought, nor the works done in store reflect that money spent.”


“I haven’t spent it yet! And watch it, I don’t like the accusatory tone you have!” I declare.


“You're seriously threatening me. I can beat you in my sleep. Besides, I don't have an accusatory tone. I’m asking what happened to the injection she gave, as it went out of the business a month after her passing. And it needs to be reconciled or returned. This is standard business practice.”


“Returned? Why? Like I said, I've yet to find the stock.” 


“But you now have a van.” Uncle Vic pipes up. “Which I helped you get a good deal on.”


“Which is mine!” I protest. “Unrelated to the business!” 


“Okay, wanna calm down there?” Justin frowns. “What’s the big deal, just return the money?” 


“I’m just surprised by it all. Besides, I’m bound to be upset with you. After all, you moved out without letting me help. As your best and closest friend, I am feeling very hurt and sidelined. I thought with our many years of friendship you’d treat me better.”


“I’m feeling the same way, Brian.” Lindsay sniffs. “I've always sought counsel from you over my affairs, which is why I've not reached out to Marcus.”


“Her name is Melanie. And don't give us that bullshit!” Ma exclaims. “You two want a trowel? I don't know about her, though I've a fair idea in the brief time I’ve known of her. But I know my son, he abandons his best and dearest friend duties at the drop of a hat!” 


“I do not! I’ve always been there for Justin. Always.”


“Debs?” Brian gives me a strange look. “When was Jennifer’s funeral?”


“27th April. Why?” Ma answers, leaning across to check out his screen. “Oh you piece of shit!” 


“Now what?” Justin sighs. 


“He didn't attend her funeral.” Ma fumes. Emmett and Uncle Vic crowd around Brian.


“I was ill, Ma, you saw me that morning!”


“Recovered in time to go to a buyers’ convention in Hawaii that afternoon though.”  She growls.


“And this right there is why you don't get to find out where I live!” Justin snarls before the screen goes black.


“Brian!” Lindsay stands up. “What have you done? You’ve potentially ruined their friendship! First by whisking him off like you were on a tryst. In these last few days you’ve changed. Michael has been more of a best friend than you! The sooner we get back to New York, the better!”


BRIAN


I start to pack up my things; the room is quiet. Daph is giving Medusa a run for her money in the death glare stakes. I grab my phone and wait for it to connect. 


“Brian? You okay, sweetheart?” Vic strokes my arm whilst George pushes Lindsay back into her seat and remains in front of her.  


“Brian, let me take this back to the hotel.” Daph orders, reaching for the papers and my laptop, I give them up; he’s still not answering. “Vic, take him to him please? When he gets upset like this, you know where he’ll go.”


“Of course. Stay away from us, Michael. All of us!” 


As I follow Vic and Emmett out, I stop. When they look up, instead of remorse, from him especially, I see annoyance.From her as well as entitlement, I now see jealousy.


“I’m not going to be in New York for a while. Right now, here is home. Daph’s looking into setting up a satellite office since I’ve got two more businesses to look after as well as Britin.”


“Brian, about what I said, I’ve had a terrible time this morning. You’ve no idea how I’ve been treated.” 


“I know exactly what happened this morning, which is nobody’s fault but yours. Like was said then, I’m saying now, go fuck yourself!”


As I stride to catch the lift with Emmett, I hear Debs demanding the keys to the van from Michael and threatening to cut his balls off if he doesn’t do so in the next ten seconds. After what I’ve just heard, I’d cut them off anyway!


JENNIFER’S GRAVESIDE - AN HOUR LATER


JUSTIN


“You were so right about him, Mom. Utterly fucking selfish!” I sob. “What else has he lied about? Christ, I’ve been so frigging blind and stupid!”


“No you haven’t, you’ve just trusted the wrong person; he took advantage of that.” I whirl around and run into Brian’s open arms. “Sssh, quiet, it's okay, it's okay.” I feel so safe in his embrace. “And whatever else he’s done where that business is concerned, I’ll find it.”


“Thank you.” I whisper.


“Anytime.” He whispers back, after five minutes, we walk back to Vic, and he holds me all the way home.