- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - THEY ARE AS SORRY AS THEY ARE FORGIVING


JUSTIN


He has the most amazing hair and he smells incredible, though the best thing about him right now is his mouth, which is making me dizzy. Dizzy with want, need, the whole shebang, I could do this, just this, forever. God help me when we make love.


“Mmm. Mmm.” I groan. Slowly he lifts his head. We stare for a second or two before smiling. He nips my chin, the feeling shoots down to my toes before settling in my stomach, bubbling nicely. I groan when he resumes kneading. “Stop. Please.”


“Keep them there?”


“You’d better.” 


“So I’m gay.” He looks very happy.


“You are? What a relief!” I tease, he pinches my nose “How long have you known?” He looks thoughtful, then adjusts us so that we’re on our side, facing each other, one arm cradling my head the other around my waist. I’m not sure what I feel about that but I like it. “Well?” 


“Always, deep down, but with my Mom being the way she was, I repressed it. Then after I came here, I couldn’t any longer.”


“I see, I think. Couple of questions. You been hit on? And why come out now? Not that I’m complaining!” 


His snickering ruffles my fringe, he smooths it back down. “A few times when I was in Belle du Jour, the bar in New York, politely declined. A guy kissed me before Emmett, caught me by surprise, although I didn’t exactly fight him off. As for why now, because I shared a bed with you.”


“Bed sharing? I thought you’d say because you wanted to kiss.”


“Nope. I never share personal space, you made me comfortable enough to do that. I don’t mean that in a boring, humdrum way. Kissing confirmed that you make me feel this way.” I reach for his hand and breathe deep. “Don’t say something you don’t feel. This is about me. I’m happy to finally be me.”


“You held me.” I whisper. “When you held me, after she insulted my Mom, I don’t know what I felt, but it felt good.”


“So let’s just go with it.” He kisses my forehead, before scowling when my phone rings. 


“What's that for? It’s Sidney.”


“Please don't answer.” I pause my reach. “Send it to voicemail. If it’s him, he’ll leave a message.” I frown as no message is left. “Call him back. Bet he neither picks up nor does it go to voicemail.” I do it and he’s right. It just rings before cutting off. 


“That’s odd. Not sure why he's doing that.”


“I don’t think he is. Remember Michael’s changed his ringtone to match Sidney’s?” My response of growling, then tossing it back onto the table, makes him smirk. “Want some cheesecake?”


“Cheesecake? When? Where?” 


“Fridge, whilst you were napping, it relaxes me.”


I drag him to the kitchen with the boys following. “How long have you been a baker?”


“Since forever, another thing I kept quiet.” He takes out a delight that I want to smoosh my face into and a covered bowl. “Margarita with tequila strawberries.” He chuckles at my hovering fork. “On top and around the side before you dig in.” After I dress our plate, I peruse him slowly. “What?”


“I think we’re going to be just perfect for each other. You like baking cheesecake, and I love eating cheesecake.”


“It’s a very good start. Grab them and let’s watch another set of people who love cheesecake, though you might not have heard of them.”


“The Golden Girls?” I return his beam. “You set up, I’ll grab the quilt and more wine!”


When he leaves the kitchen, humming, I look down at the boys. “I think he’s the one.” As they trot tails wagging after him, I hope and pray that I’m right!


DINER - TWO DAYS LATER


MICHAEL


I’ve been relegated to the front tables. Ma said that the booths aren’t for liars and traitors. I’m waiting for Lindsay. Uncle Vic enters with a stern faced woman. He, like Ma, is ignoring me. I don’t see what they’re upset about, I didn’t do anything to him. Justin, I can almost understand, but as usual I explain it once we’re alone.


“Hey, you look how I feel.” I’m startled by Lindsay sitting down. “Mr Grassi dropped me off.” I don’t understand her miserable expression. “I got another fine, but at least I’ve got a driver out of this ridiculousness.” She signals Kiki, who glares at us then turns her back. “What’s her problem?”


“Another friend of his mother.” I gripe and stand. “We’re in the self-service section.” I add, gesturing towards the counter. “Don’t suppose you’ve heard from Brian?”


“No.” She returns although she seems slightly happier. “I’ve flooded his voicemail with messages, it’s now full. And I will keep filling it.”


“I’ll tell him so he knows he can delete and continue to ignore you.” Emmett drawls. “I would caution you against ringing Justin again, Michael, since he’s also pissed at you for switching your ringtone. So pissed in fact, he’s most likely going to be buying a new phone. Might tell Brian to do the same.” He strides to the booth, Ma and Uncle Vic join him, their glaring means he’s dumped me in it again. Before I can unnecessarily explain, Ted and Blake arrive, hand in hand and smiling. “What’s got you two all giddy as kitties on catnip?” 


“We have gossip to share!” Ted declares.


“Come closer, someone doesn’t need to know!” Uncle Vic declares, seconds later they’re whispering and giggling, I’m fuming as I love a bit of gossip.


“Oh, finally!” Ma exclaims. “So what’s holding you up?”


“Who said there’s a hold up?” Emmett laughs. “And there’s our new couple!”


We turn to the door. Daphne is coming in with a beefy guy, followed by Brian and Justin. They all sit in the booth. Uncle Vic hands Brian an envelope. He speaks to Ma, before he and Justin leave. More filthy looks are cast our way.


DINER OFFICE 


JUSTIN


All shopping was forgotten when Ted called the next morning. Turned out that he asked a forensic accountant to look at the books for the store. Lucky for Michael, there’s nothing there apart from the sneakiness with the last injection. Brian, however, has been upset and quiet about something. And I found out an important thing about him. When he’s brooding, leave him alone. Do not badger, it makes it worse - something my sister dear keeps forgetting. He needs to process it by himself. He'll come out of it, but give him time to do so. We’re the opposite in that respect, which made him roll his eyes and mutter: really, you don’t say. Yeah, I get furious and spark off for a bit, then when I’m calmer I can deal with it, but I have to get good and mad first.


“Need a hug.” He says quietly, with a smile, I gather him in and stroke his back, he tosses the envelope on the desk then rests his head on mine, breathing deeply.


“Ready to talk?” 


“We need to teach them a very harsh lesson.”


“No complaints from me, what have they done to warrant this, I mean apart from what’s gone on before? Also, what’s in there?”


“Papers for the van. Michael’s signing it over to me, after you’ve persuaded him of course. As for her, when Dad was dying, Mom agreed to divorce him, but she persuaded her not to.”


“Why? Want to sit?”


“I’d rather not have Debs walk in and find me in your lap.” He’s lost a bit of his pissedoffedness. “We’ve been in here long enough I think.”


“You can sit for as long as you want tonight. But again, why?”


“Mom was a wife when it was to her benefit. She didn’t care for him during his illness, so got someone else to do that.” He puts his fingers to my lips. “I went to see Elizabeth, she was the someone. We three got close, always kept in touch. I’m the opposite, except I’m trying to be more like my Dad. He was up front in his emotions, and if he didn’t like you, you’d know it. He detested Lindsay. Apparently, he told her that. Said he would do everything he could to persuade me never to be anything more than friends, and even that was too much for him to bear. She told Mom that he and Elizabeth were having an affair and wanted to be together freely. They weren’t. She also added the money fuel to the fire, immediately divorce was off the table. Mom never told him why, just said she changed her mind because of her beliefs.”


“Wow. I, I just, I, wow! How did Elizabeth find out?”


“She heard Lindsay telling Dad.”


“Why didn’t she tell you?! You said you three were close.”


“It was at his graveside. Before she could say anything, Lindsay's Mom got sick, so I helped her through that, just like she helped me.” 


“If your words were water, I’d have drowned in sarcasm.” I quip, and squeeze. He reciprocates. “So how’d you find out, and what do you want to do?”


“I called Elizabeth, wanting to visit. When I told her why I was here and with whom, she said no and hung up.” I nod, remembering his hurt and confusion, then him leaving quickly after. “Finally, she let me in, then railed, asking how I could forgive what she’d done.” There’s a gleam in his eye that sends shivers down my spine. “So I say let’s forgive them.” He growls so deeply, I begin to think about how good it would feel for him to be passionately mad at me like that! “What are you thinking? Your eyes lit up!”


“Nothing.” I bluster, he tilts up my chin, his eyes narrowing, I start to blush, he starts to grin.


“Is it hot, and for just you and I?”


“A little.” I squirm. “And yes.”


“In that case, think on.” 


“We’re not really forgiving them though?” 


“Of course not.” He stops my next question with a kiss, before winking and grabbing the envelope. “Ready for this?” I nod.  “Good. But first we need to send Daph and Vic a text.”


LINDSAY


We're feeling but trying not to look smug. As I've always maintained, we know our best friends! They were just playing to their new audience. Brian even said he would speak to Uncle George about getting my fines back! Michael is also chipper because the halfbreed has agreed to go out with him on Friday evening, to some place called Babylon. Naturally, the gorgon and simpletons are going to be tagging along. Brian and I will be reconnecting on a much deeper level and in private.


I look across at the gorgan, enjoying how peeved she’d been when Brian declared that we should all forgive and forget and start anew. Have to admit, the guy she’s with is very good looking. Even better, I caught him looking at me whilst she was fawning over Brian. 


“Okay, so it’s agreed then, we’re all going on Friday night to Babylon?” Emmett declares. 


Michael and I look at each other. “Uh, sorry, Emmett, it’s just me and Jus going. You will have to make your own plans.” 


“Michael.” He almost melts under the halfbreed’s touch. “Ems has apologised. Besides, this will be the only time he gets to go socialise before we’re swept into the shows and events, let them come.”


“Oh, alright, only because you asked so nicely, Jus.”


“Tin.” Vic corrects him coldly. “You’ve never used his Mom’s nickname for him before, don't do that now.”


“He doesn’t mind, do you, Jus?”


“He might not, but having heard it’s history now, I do. So when we're with you two, use his proper name.” Brian drawls, looking flinty eyed over his coffee. 


“Honest, Brian, it’s fine. He can call me Jus as long as I can call him Gooch.”


“Aww, your first endearment for me!” Michael grins. “I’m happy with that, where’s it from?”


“West Indies, it means friend.” He grins back at him.


“For a man.” Brian turns to me. “For a woman it would be Punani. What do you think, Lindz, would you be my Punani?”


“I insist upon it.” I lean across and kiss his cheek.


“That’s great! Now I don’t know about you, Punani, I don’t have anything remotely clubbing like, so shall we go shopping?” 


“I don’t actually! Yes, let’s! You know how much we love shopping together!” 


“Me and Jus love shopping together too!” Michael laughs. “Though the way he’s dressed most of the time, you’d never think it!” I jab him in the ribs when the stares turn to glares. “I was joking, Jus knows that!”


“Gooch is right. 90% of the time I look like the littlest hobo! I’ve got no clothes either. So how many cabs do we need to grab?”


MICHAEL


“No cabs.” The woman who followed Uncle Vic in declares. “Madam Peterson is to travel with me at all times. Her Uncle doesn’t want his most precious cargo to leave my sight.”


“Please call me Lindsay.” The woman shakes her head, making Lindz, as she insisted I call her when they were off sulking, blush then shrug. “Who else is coming with Brian and I? There’s enough room for two more people?”


“Me and Jus!” She sighs heavily before nodding.


“Nope. Just you Michael.” Brian declares, making me frown. “Justin and I need to talk business still, to which, despite you being my partner, you’re not privy to.” He stands up and holds out his hand, Lindz is looking put out. “Keys to the van.” Whilst I boil inside as I hand them over he smiles at Ma. “Thanks for getting him to clean it out for me, Debs.”


“Oh, no problem.” Ma smirks, no doubt remembering how she, Kiki and one of the Bear Doms she knows, stood over me until I had done it to their satisfaction. Which took four attempts, my hands were red raw and so dry after!  “You want me to be there on Friday to cook some pre-gaming food?”


“Could you? And Vic, can you take us and bring us back? Obviously, you guys can stay overnight. In fact, why don’t you all do that, there’s plenty of room. That’s not a problem is it, Justin?”


“Not a problem.” Jus drains his coffee.


“The rest of you guys are with me.” Uncle Vic orders. “As for Friday, myself and Flick, here, will be on hand.


“Who’s all?” Lindz asks.


“Well, everyone in this booth, and, oh, hi, Ben!” Jus calls, so I turn around.


Ben is utterly gorgeous! I hold his gaze when he’s introduced, he doesn’t look away. “What’s happening?”


“We’re planning a night out in Babylon, you up for it?” Drew asks.


“Yep. Come on, you’ve had your break. Let’s go, we’ll see you guys on Friday. He has my number, so get him to give me a call to let us know where to meet.” He ushers Drew ahead of him. When he gets to the door and turns and salutes, his eyes linger on me.


“Well, let’s go and shop.” Daphne declares, standing up.


“It’s a shame that you won’t be there on Friday, Daphne.” I smile.


“Oh, I wouldn’t miss Friday for anything.” She returns, rolling her sleeves up. “Will this be okay?”


“Perfectly fine.” Ma laughs as she inspects the bracelet. Again, I boil, especially when she asks if she should get earrings to match. “Yes, yes you should, maybe get Gooch and Punani to help.”


“Maybe. Maybe.” She gloats.


As we leave, I forget her snottiness and nudge Lindz, her smile is equally wide. “The next thing we need to get is keys, don’t you think?” 


“To say the least.” She giggles as we follow them to the parking lot. 


“There’s just one more thing.” I murmur before clearing my throat. “Jus, before you go, Ben mentioned that you have his number. Give it to me and I’ll call him for you instead.”


“I’m the him who has Ben’s number.” Emmett snarks. “So that’s the end of that conversation, isn’t it?”


“Come on, Ems, let’s go.” Daphne calls out from inside the car. “I’ll text Justin where we’re going to be. Flick, you follow us, but if we lose each other in traffic, we’re going to Ross Park Mall.” 


INSIDE VIC’S CAR - TEN MINUTES LATER


DAPHNE


I put away my phone with a smile. It widens at the puzzlement radiating around the car. “Let me explain Brian to you. His personal and business persona are diametrically opposed. The other reason Lindsay wants him so bad is because of his wallet. He’s worth just shy of $80 million, she thinks it's about twelve, which is enough for her grasping pincers.” I return the grin from Vic, as we’ve been talking. “I first met him over two years ago, but only worked for him for the last six months.”


“Why?” Blake frowns as does Ted, the latter won’t be when I say my next piece.


“Because one of his major clients are Abernorth and Richards.” 


“What?!” Ted gapes. “That’s nowhere on the financial information that we gathered!”


“Who are they?” Blake tucks his arm into Ted, they are too cute!


“A bunch of asshole bigots. They hate Gays, Blacks, Women, the Disabled, you name them, they hate them! Have to say, he’s gone way down in my estimation that he deals with them.”


“He doesn’t deal with them. He owns them.”


“That’s it! I want nothing more to do with him, neither will Justin!” Ted declares.


“He asked for a place on the board when he signed them. They were only too happy to oblige. Who wouldn’t want a good Catholic man from great Irish stock, seemingly with the same views as them. In fact, they were so comfortable with their views, that on the day I was being interviewed one of the good ole boys called me Kunta Kinte, literally a minute before I was called into HR. Needless to say, the interview tanked.” The humiliation still burns. “However, that evening I got a phone call. It was Brian, apologising for how they treated me, and asking if I ever wanted to interview again to come back. Two years later, I returned. The first thing he did was take me to them to say that as per their agreement, he’s decided to exercise the option for them to buy him off the board. One of the rednecks remembered me and asked what Kunta was doing here? I didn’t understand it either and was all set to walk when he said: you have to buy my seat from her whilst negotiating with me, starting price $75 million.”


“What?! He, wow, he put them in your name?!” Ted exclaims. 


“Yep.” I beam. “On paper I own that company. As the redneck’s have found out, he’s a ruthless barbarian. Brian and Justin want us to play along with the we’re all friends together shtick, his last text said this is business. No matter what they say and do, let Gooch and Punani grab all the feels they want.”


“Did you see how smug they looked over their nicknames!” Blake grumbles.


“Oh, let them. By the way, he says thanks, Vic!”


“Anytime. It took everything to keep a straight face. Kiki and I were on double death grip duty, keeping Debs quiet.” Vic chuckles as he adjusts his sunglasses. “Go ahead and tell them, Daph.”


“Gooch is slang for the perineum, and Punani is slang for vagina.” I snort at their dropped jaws. “Like I said, badass barbarian.”


Cheesecake: https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/margarita-cheesecake/

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx