- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 13 - BUSINESS LEADS TO PLEASURE

 

BRIAN'S VAN, BACK SEAT - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

He is definitely teasing. The van is filled with the scent of sugar plum and vanilla. He dips his pinky finger into the lip mask before slowly dabbing it across his mouth. "Want some?" He waves it at me.

 

"Thank you, but for the safety of both our lives and your virtue, I will decline."

 

"Pity." He murmurs, looking in the side mirror and fixing his hair. "Okay, I want a promise to at least try on the stuff I pick out?"

 

"Same for you?"

 

"They have to be nightclub appropriate." He swipes some gum, then holds a piece to my lips. I make sure I catch his finger, swirling my tongue. "What shoes are you wearing?"

 

"Got some Prada boots."

 

"Oh, what season?" He titters at my look. "Just checking, lace up or side zip?"

 

"Zip, oxblood, round toe, got the sweetest on point lining in purple." He's impressed. ‘Customised them."

 

Before we can continue, Daph flashes up on my phone wanting to facetime. He swats my hand away with a censorious look, I mouth apologies and focus back on the road. "Hey, beautiful, you guys alright?" She beams.

 

"We're good, what are you drinking?" He replies.

 

"Mimosas!" Emmett trills. "We've called ahead, we're going to have a personal shopping session in Gucci for the rest of the afternoon, whilst it's practising game faces for Friday!" 

 

GUCCI PERSONAL SHOPPERS FLOOR - TWO HOURS LATER

 

LINDSAY

 

Now this is more like it! I settle against the cushions and survey the racks as the assistant wheels in two more. 

 

"Excuse me!" I call.

 

"Yes ma'am." He remains by the door.

 

"Come closer, I don't want the whole floor to know our business!" I order, he doesn't move. "I said come closer!"

 

"There is nobody on the floor but yourselves. What else do you need?" 

 

"These to be separated out by who picked them then placed in changing rooms."

 

"I will do that once I've got the rest of their choices." He turns heel and sweeps away.

 

"That was rude of him, you should complain," Michael states as I retake my seat. 

 

I nod but am annoyed, as Brian should be the one defending me. However, he's working on the other side of the room with the gorgan, as are the half breed and the simpleton. Now that is something that I'm intrigued by. Whilst in penury, I did a bit of research. Being someone with an artistic flair, I was surprised that his daubings are of a very high standard. 

 

"Brian, what about the show, will you still come?" The simpleton twitters.

 

"What show is this?" Michael demands.

 

"What other show is there? Justin's first of this season is in two weeks."

 

Season?! My goodness, how pretentious!

 

"Unfortunately, me and Brian will be back in New York at a gala dinner that evening." I reply, smiling my say-no-smile at Brian, he's not looking my way.

 

"What evening?" The gorgan asks as she scrolls. "He's got a couple of things on the 17th, a GD and sponsoring."

 

"It's then." The simpleton sighs.

 

"Not sure what GD is, but the sponsoring is Justin's show," Brian replies without looking up. "I have to be there for that, sorry can't help with GD, Daph. Hermione had her own shorthand for stuff." 

 

"Yeesh, that's very polite of you." She snorts like a pig, which makes Brian smile at her like he's indulging a cute toddler, when he should be correcting her many tantrums.

 

"Brian, the GD is the gala dinner. I asked Hermione to block that off specifically."

 

"Well, you should've spoken to me, since I'm in charge of his diary." Daphne retorts. "Justin's show takes precedence over it."

 

"Hold on, Daph." Finally, Brian turns to me. "Punani, is that the Asteridge Dinner."

 

"Yes, it is."

 

"Ah, she's right, Daph, I do have to go to that."

 

"So sorry, Justin. Emmett won't be able to attend. And Daphne, after this, let's go through Brian's diary to make sure all our social events are in there."

 

"Nope. You send me a list, I talk to Brian, he tells me what to put in."

 

"Uncle George, what are you doing here?!" I get up to greet him. Frustratingly, my kiss lands on thin air, and the arm patting makes me feel like a puppy. 

 

"Getting my gladrags sorted out as well. I'm coming on Friday, you are all my guests, of honour." 

 

"Friday? Guests of honour? I don't understand, Uncle George."

 

"It's very simple, dear." He pats, I itch to claw either his eyes or hand. "Babylon is mine, well until Friday. The soon-to-be new owner has agreed that I can have one last hurrah."

 

"If I'd known you owned Babylon, I would never have paid to get in!" Michael jokes, I smile, but everyone else is stony-faced.

 

"If I'd known you were going, you'd never have gotten in!" Uncle George retorts. Now everyone is wreathed in smirks. Why do they dislike Michael? I find him a delight, an ingenue, who needs protecting. "So, who's - oh no, no way, no how, not now. You four, stop working."

 

"We just need to do this one thing." The gorgon smiles at him. "Well two, a proper hello from you then this diary bullcrap." I fume as he warmly embraces her then does the same to Brian, the half-breed and simpleton. "So, how are we going to do this?"

 

"Hers was there first. George, we've got a clash between Justin's first season show and the Asteridge Dinner on the 17th." Brian explains. Although smarting from my uncle's chilliness towards me, I'm warmed by Brian putting me first.

 

"Ah, I see. Right. Give me a minute." He pulls out his phone. "May I speak to Claudia Asteridge, please, it's George." My heart races, he knows Claudia Asteridge! "Ah darling, how are you and yours? Grand, just grand. Reason for the call, the dinner, did we agree on a new date? I know it was going to be on the 17th, but with Ronald and everything, it slipped my mind." He nods and smiles, whilst looking at the iPad she has in her claws. "Hang on, darling, let me get my diary, this would make things easier, Justin, you as well."

 

Soon they're huddling around the desk, the simpleton imposing himself, of course, Michael's told me he's very nosy. Michael and I exchange disgusted looks. After five minutes of muttering and giggling, he finally says goodbye. 

 

"And the end result of that conversation is?" Michael asks, having been as unimpressed as I. Also, no doubt, still smarting from the earlier remark. "This workaholic side of Brian is all I've seen and is rubbing off on Justin, not in a good way. There's a time and a place, I don't think this is it."

 

"Gooch, you're right, we apologise." The half-breed calls over his shoulder. "So we need to get tuxedos as well, unless you have one, Brian?"

 

"He does. I got it for him two years ago. It's a Hawkes & Curtis, one of the UK's finest tailors."

 

"He can't wear that." Uncle George declares. "This Asteridge Dinner is celebrating everything Italian and French, so we all have to dress accordingly, but that's not for another month, we can get them nearer the time. Now come on, let's try on these threads!" He strides out. I squeeze Michael's hand and quickly follow.

 

"Uncle George! Uncle George, wait a moment!" He stops with a sigh before folding his arms. "I just wanted to check that I understand some things. You're going to be at the Asteridge Dinner?"

 

"Yes, we go every year. Obviously, when your father took sick, Justin went as his representative, but we're all going this time. Can we walk and talk? Judging by those racks I've got a lot of catching up to do."

 

FORTY MINUTES LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

I totally understand why she was upset. I've spent the last ten minutes comforting her, which again, Brian should be doing, but he's too busy trying to get Justin's attention. Pathetic really. George got the dinner moved, which is fine because I get to go as Justin's date. Less fine is that Daphne, Emmett, Ted, and Blake are all going too. I just can't seem to go anywhere without them now. I'm also not happy about Brian being the sole sponsor of Justin's next seven shows. Seems to have been part of the deal that Ronald had, which he is determined to honour. An admirable quality, I guess, but again, this means they'll be spending more time together, and without me. I'm still annoyed that Sidney said I can't be in meetings, which, considering I'm going to be marrying Justin, is ridiculous. Once we're married, the first thing I'll insist on, is that he no longer works with Sidney.

 

"Right, now that everything is finally settled." Ted glares at us as if we're at fault. So unfair. "Let's try them on, from the back changing room it's Lindsay, Michael, George, Blake, me, Daphne, Justin, and finally Brian. Racks are in so let's go. Now only put stuff on the rack if you're going to buy it! We're not having a long-ass session of dress-up. Remember, Debs is doing Italian chicken, hot dogs with sauerkraut or kimchi and fries." He snickers at the fist-bumping that Blake does, I can't stand either of them if I'm honest, or Emmett, they just get in the way all the time. "Oh, and whipped lemonade."

 

"Whipped lemonade, what the hell's that?" Justin frowns, Ted points at Brian. "I take it you're the one to answer that."

 

"I am, but then it wouldn't be a surprise." He laughs, then looks at that watch, which almost sets Lindsay's angry tears off again. "Let me know when I can call her to make it."

 

"I can call my Ma for that!" I retort, fed up with his pushiness.

 

"She asked Brian to call when we're ready to leave." Uncle Vic snaps. "As she doesn't want to speak to you!"

 

"Let's go!" George orders, so we head to the changing room.

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

That's the second stop-it text I've had to send to Daph and Justin as they guffaw at the futile attempts of Punani and Gooch to see what we're wearing. To make sure we match sartorially was one reason she gave. Between Vic and Flick, they've been kept well away. 

 

I admire the jeans Justin picked, but something's not quite right. "Ah, shit!"

 

"What's wrong?" Justin calls out.

 

"Wrong size. Can you remember where these were?"

 

"They're the correct size, put them on!" Justin declares.

 

"They're going to be too small." 

 

"Put them on!" He orders.

 

"Fine." I grouse, whilst relishing the silky feel as they glide up my legs, I do up the button fly and face the mirror. "Absolutely not!" I gasp.

 

"Now what?!" He grumbles.

 

"You can see my DNA in them!" 

 

"Brian, let me see!"

 

"Lindsay, go back inside, Justin can help him!" George shouts. The slamming of the dressing room door is music to my ears. "Justin! Go help him, my boy!" 

 

"Okay, Uncle George!" He replies, softly tapping seconds later. "Coming in, ready or -" He stares at me. "Not." 

 

LINDSAY

 

I'm straining to hear. I can't even look out as Flick is blocking my view. This is so frustrating, but of course with Uncle George here and fines looming, I have to be a good girl! I glare at my ringing phone, it's Melanie Marcus again, she can wait! 

 

"Justin! Is everything okay?" The gorgan barks.

 

JUSTIN

 

"Yeah, it's fine!" I reply.

 

That's an understatement, as it's more than fine. He looks so beautifully bashful and seriously sexy in those jeans, and just them. However, it's the way he's looking at me that's making me hot and bothered. "You're going to wear this?" He strokes the collar of the shirt he picked. 

 

"As long as you're wearing them." I return. "They're perfect, just perfect."

 

"Fuck it and them!" He growls, pinning me against the mirror. My legs whip around his waist, hands go in his hair. He pulls my shirt up - skin meets skin, and a full-on pash-out begins. We're moaning, tongues are lashing, teeth not clashing, a button pings off and a hand is in my pants.

 

"Brian." I nip his ear; he bites my neck. I almost faint as he sucks on my skin, I return the favour. "We can't get off in the Gucci changing room."

 

"No, we can't. Pity!" He croaks, before swallowing hard. We disentangle, though remain close. 

 

"You're right, Justin, those hang perfectly. What do you think, Daph?" Ems calls. We blush as they're grinning at the doorway.

 

"They do." She looks over her shoulder. "Oh, Lindsay and Michael, you've finished already?"

 

"Yes." She returns, her tone full of frustration. "Excuse me, Flick, we'd like to get by."

 

"Glad you're finished, Lindsay, I need to have a word." Uncle George calls. Unlike her hiss of annoyance, our laughter is silent.

 

LINDSAY

 

By the time I get through Flick, Vic, and various other obstacles, Brian and Justin are on the sofa, with the simpleton and gorgon flanking them. "Yes, Uncle George."

 

"I've been speaking to Brian about your fines, and in the spirit of Glasnost, you won't be fined anymore, you have my word." 

 

"Oh, thank you, Uncle George, and, of course, Brian!" I enthuse, which he acknowledges with a smile. "To be clear, my fines total $160,000?"

 

"One hundred and sixty gees is a lot of tantrums, isn't it Ted?" I hold my breath, then almost hug myself when he nods. I've got an extra $30K on top from those supposedly astute businessmen, and there's no comeback to me because Ted agreed! 

 

My phone interrupts my glee. "Do you need privacy for that?" Sighing at Melanie calling again, I send her to voicemail. "No more money talk. We shouldn't keep Debs waiting. Everyone go to the cars; I'll be there shortly."

 

I link arms with Michael, and we follow on. "Are you looking forward to Friday?"

 

"Yes, it's been an age since Justin let his hair down with me." He grins. 

 

"Brian and I haven't gone out together for ages too. It will be nice. What's Babylon like?" I'm fascinated as he explains that it's a gay nightclub, but very high-end, as is to be expected for Uncle George to be the owner, though I don't understand why he would own such a place. "Uncle George is not the only person with connections, we'll be away from those four at the dinner."

 

"Great!"

 

As we get to the car, Flick doesn't open the door. "What are we waiting for?" I ask.

 

"Your Uncle George." She smirks, whilst our hearts sink.

 

 

Whipped lemonade | Tesco Real Food