- Text Size +

CHAPTER 16 - MOVING IN TWO DIRECTIONS ONE WRONG AND THE OTHER RIGHT


MICHAEL’S HOME - LATE AFTERNOON


VIC


I look around and quietly fume. This place is a tip. I purse my lip at the rings marring the marble table. I remember when Jen, Ronald, Justin and I saw it in PerLora, one of the best furniture stores in the city. Ronald had queened out when Justin wanted to thrift source the stuff for his studio, although, when Justin saw the prices he almost walked out. At first, Ronald was thrilled that Michael managed to persuade Justin to stay. It was when he saw Michael thought he should be rewarded for that act of heroism with the table, Ronald brought the shopping to a swift end.


It was after Justin’s first show that we found out Michael got it by claiming that he had always, always wanted a marble table, but because of their low income, it would remain a pipe dream! Justin confessed that he only got it to shut Michael up, as he went on and on and fucking on! Then when he started to hark on about the store, that’s when Jen stepped in. It was her or nothing!


“Right, you take this lot to the car.” He points to a pile of papers. “I’ve got a few more bits to get and will meet you outside. We need to go to a pharmacy, as I don’t have Advil, then to Lindsey's hotel before finally getting into Justin’s!” He heads back upstairs, muttering, whilst I go to the car - without the papers!


LINDSAY'S HOTEL ROOM - AN HOUR LATER


LINDSAY


I’m glowering at Flick. “Why didn’t Vic take them like Michael told him to?!”


“Because he’s his uncle, not servant.” Uncle George replies, his appearance is a surprise. “Good morning both, are you well? Did you enjoy last night, Lindsay?”


GEORGE


“It was nice and intriguing. A shame that Brian went home unwell.” She touches up her lipstick. Why the hell she bothers I don’t know, because no matter how perfect it is, she  looks like the Corpse Bride! “I hope that Justin’s near dawn return didn’t disturb him, or that he bought that, at the risk of sounding indelicate, gigolo back with him.”


“Justin didn't have a chance to do anything with anyone but Michael.” I return. “He never left his side.” 


“Well that’s all to the good then. To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Uncle George? I wasn’t expecting to see you.”


“How much did you drink last night? We agreed to go over the paperwork that Manning brought over for Brian. Why are you here, Flick?”


“She wants to go shopping, so asked me to take her and Michael to Ross Park Mall.”


“She might be free around three, but not much before then, so take the morning off.” Again that confused curmudgeon expression, it turns prissy when she sees who’s knocked on her door. “Ah, Ted, Mel, thank you for coming. Mel, you’re looking as fresh as a daisy considering how you burned the floor last night!”


“I love dancing, it's more fun than a gym workout, some women should take my lead and at least do one of them.” Mel glances at Lindsay, before kissing myself and Flick hello then a sniggering Ted gives us hugs. “Where is your boss, Ms Peterson?” 


“What does the location of my friend, Michael, who is on his way to see Justin, have to do with you?”


“Lindsay, we discussed this last night.” I’m regretting lifting the fines! “This meeting is for Brian’s benefit. You remember that inventory you went through yesterday with Mel?”


“Yes, I do, but I decided it would be best to wait until Brian was present.”


“Today I’m Brian. Try to remember your place, which is employee, not boss.” Mel retorts. 


MEL


I take in the luxury this welp has been living in, and can't wait to kick her to the reality kerb with Manning’s help, but first I need refreshments! 


“George, would you like some coffee? Ted, how about you?” 


“Please.” They both reply.


“Flick, make yourself useful and sort that out.” Lindsay demands.


“I’ll do it, Flick.” I retort, thankfully for us - and her for now - the coffee is done in five minutes. I pour for myself, George and Ted. “Flick, go ahead, there’s enough for at least two cups.” 


“Thanks, Mel.” She smiles.


Lindsay clears her throat, then pats the side table. After a quick wink, Flick makes her coffee, sits on the table and, evil eyeing Lindsay, starts to sip then slurp. 


“What are you doing?! I wanted some coffee!” She snipes. 


“Then get it yourself.” I order, topping up my mug. “You’ll have to make more.“ She remains seated. “So you would rather go thirsty than lift a finger for yourself?”


“No, I’ve changed my mind! I’ll have water instead!” She snaps and opens the fridge, I snigger when she comes up empty. “I’ll wait to have refreshments with Michael.” She declares retaking her seat. 


“Whatever Ms Park Avenue. Like I said, I’m Brian, so I’ll call Justin to let him know to send Michael straight here should he get past Emmett and Daphne.”


“Which he won’t.” Ted sniffs. “Despite the efforts of him and the bad-smell trying to keep Justin out all night, he left about an hour after Brian.” Before she can squawk, his phone rings. “Hi, Vic, how are you? Oh, right, okay then. I’ll let them know.”


“What?” I ask, judging by that glint it’s good for us.


“Debs is bringing her boss. She and Vic crossed in traffic. Once he explained the situation, she took Michael back for the papers.” The sharp rapping and low pitch whining heralds their arrival. “She must’ve drove like the devil was chasing her!” He quips.


“More likely he was in the car and she wanted him out!” I chuckle as Flick lets them in.


“Flick, your presence is a relief for Ma, as she has a headache. Are you ready, Lindsay? So sorry we’re late.” After he kisses her cheek, he starts to pull her to the door. Debs’s advancing pushes them back whilst allowing Flick to make her escape. “Flick, wait! Ma, please go and rest, but send Flick back.”


“Michael, as long as you live and whine, I will never rest until you get the fucking message. I don’t have a headache, you’re being a pain in mine and everyone else’s ass! Neither Vic nor Flick are your go to rides. Unless you’re with Lindsay, call a cab from this point on!”


“Ma, stop embarrassing me in front of Uncle George.” He grumbles.


“Michael, as Flick is my driver, you can call on her anytime.” Lindsay soothes.


“As Flick is my employee, he can’t.” George declares. “And why are you calling me Uncle George, Michael?” 


“Well.” He simps. “We’re going to be family, so we might as well start as I mean us to go on.”


“A lot can happen in five years.” George glares, but as the Pude is either so stupid, clueless or both, this doesn’t register. “Let's revert back to George. Or I could fine Justin for every infraction whether verbal or vehicular. And knowing you, this means he’ll be broke by Christmas.” 


Lindsey's joy at this threat doesn’t go unnoticed. “Uncle George, as Michael says, you two will be related, surely you should allow him this familiarity?” 


“As his familiarity breeds my contempt, I shan’t. Encourage him in any unwanted behaviour and see how that works out for you.”


She goes from cocksure to confused. “But you said there would be no further fines.” 


“Fines, no. Consequences, definitely. Now have we reached an understanding?”


“You want a pain in your ass, Michael, or you gonna respect his wishes?!” Debs edges closer, he grudgingly nods. “Good.” She stretches out her back. “I need to open up. The Littlest Hobo is going to want some sustenance. God, I love that boy.”


“Debs, you need to stay. It’s fortuitous that you’re here, please call Kiki and get her to sort that out, alright?” Ted asks. Looking confused she makes the call, he grins then clears his throat. “I've been sent the final part of Jennifer’s will and testament. Here are your copies.” 


TED


As I watch them read, the reactions of shock and horror, from Debs and Michael respectively, have me marvelling at her ingenuity. 


“But - this can’t be - when did she do this?!” Mel fails to hide her glee.


“I don’t know, but this was the time it was to be sent.” I explain, whilst trying not to whoop and holler.


“What does this mean?” Michael froths. “Reduction in partnership? I don't remember agreeing to that!” 


“That’s your signature on the original partnership documentation, correct?” Mel asks before turning to Lindsay. “You are so screwed!” 


“Me? What does whatever is in that have to do with me?” 


“Does Justin know?” George asks, rootling around in the mini bar. “Oh, I suppose not, it will be Brian you need to tell. Brandy, Debs?” She nods. “Ted, can you call Vic and get him to come pick Debs up?”


“I’ve already texted him. And I’ll speak to Brian, he’ll be thrilled.” I smile, handing Debs a tissue. “Will you accept?”


“Ma! You don't want to do that! You’ve often said you hate the store!”


“No, I hated how you got it. Now, Ted, explain what this means.”


THE DINER - LATE AFTERNOON


JUSTIN


I chuckle quietly, because of the smile on his face, which I’m responsible for. I fill the jug with guava juice and lime and head back to the booth. He licks his lips as I retake my seat. Daph looks between us. “What did you two do?”


“Made cupcakes.” He replies.


“And they were delicious, but what I'm talking about is what you did, Justin, that had Brian speaking Gaelic?” She pours our juice. “Which he only speaks when he’s very happy. By happy, I mean when he's watching porn.” He reddens whilst I gape. “I heard rather than saw you that time in the office. Furnish me with the barest details.” She bats her lashes. “Want me to channel Pude’s level of persistence?”


“I told you someone came in!” He mock glowers. “We jerked each other off, which was exquisite. I’d like to try rimming next, it looked good when I watched it. Now, any idea why Ted and Debs wanted us to meet?”


“You do - wait, you watch gay porn?” I’m astonished and now horny.


“At first it was my secret pleasure, but now I’ll be watching for pointers. Got any we can watch together?”


Squirming, I nod, whilst Daph looks so proud! “Are they going to be long?” My answer comes with their arrival, looking surprisingly happy since I knew who they were meeting. “Can you be quick?” I babble, flushing under Brian’s smouldering gaze. 


“What's the hurry?” Ted presses me back into the seat.


“Research!” Daph declares, waggling her eyebrows. 


“Ooh, I must tell Blake about that development! Well, bare bones of it. As you know, whoever Michael pude-suaded to be his partner in the store took 65% of that. Well she put in a clause that if he partnered with anyone else his share would be reduced to 15% with the other 20% being transferred to a third partner”


“Oh my god, go Mom!” I declare, blowing a kiss skywards. “So who owns the other 20%? Not me, surely, I really don’t want it. Can I give it away?”


“Not you, Debs.” Ted grins. “And she will be in charge of running it day to day.”


I go wide eyed. 


“So after all those years of refusing to help me when he could, I own his ass. Oh, and Punani’s, which is why they're with George scrubbing the store from top to bottom after Mel needed Manning as he knows the financial intricacies of her Brownstone. So you boys go do your research. They’re not gonna bother for a while!”


As we run out, I swear I hear my Mom laughing from heaven!


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks