- Text Size +

CHAPTER 20 - THE WANT TO BES THINK THEY RULE THE ROOST


EVENING AFTER THE NIGHT BEFORE


EMMETT


“What a day, I am so looking forward to a drink!” I declare, linking arms with Daph.


“Oh tell me about it!” She smiles tiredly. “Where are we going?!” She yells at our bosses, who keep walking and talking. “Rude!” She grouses. “I hope it’s not too bad; he can be a major grouch when he's in pain.”


“Who can?”


“Brian. Told him that chair wasn’t suitable. Oh, hey, Vic!” She calls. He points at Woody’s. “Decision made. Brian, we're going to Woody’s - see you in there will get your usuals!” We at least get a wave from Justin. 


Mercifully, there’s a free booth, I claim it whilst she gets the drinks in; she’s not long, I smile at the triple order. “Are they doubles?”


“Of course!” She giggles as she sits. “So what was making you so busy that we are only meeting up now despite sharing a house and office space?” 


“Justin’s schedule for next year. He’s going to be doing a show in Australia. He’ll be away for about two months, and…”


“Two months, why?” 


“The show is for a month and then there’s the holiday afterwards. Oh there they…” I trail off at their approach. “...oh my!”


“What?” Vic asks as he joins us.


“When? When the hell and why didn’t you tell us?!” I demand.


“Tell you what?” Brian asks, pulling the stools out. Daph gapes at them. “What?!”


“You, a major germaphobe, insisted on emptying the bin!” She gasps.


“Ah.” He smiles. “That.” Justin snorts into his drink. 


“So who was the delicious pain in the ass first?” Vic grins.


“Tell us later; the real pains are coming!” Daph growls.


“Hello, Brian!” Lindsay trills, in a shirt so low that I can see her kidneys. Placing her purse between them, she kisses his cheek then hugs him from behind. “How was your day?”


“Fine. Yours?”


“A curate’s egg, you know, good in parts. However, I’m settled into Michael’s. It feels like forever since we’ve spent time together. Your bruise has faded nicely, Justin, are you well?”


“Yep, tired but fine.”


“Did you have a late night?” Michael sniffs as he comes back with a couple of stools. “Can you get up a second, Justin?” She takes his seat and moves his glass near Vic. “Am going to get more drinks, can you help me?” 


“Sure.” Justin shrugs, Michael turns smartly to the bar. “Uh, aren’t you going to ask what everyone wants?” 


“Everyone?” He returns.


“If you’re only buying two, why do you need my help?”


“Good point.” Vic smirks.


“So a coke for you, Uncle Vic, judging by that outfit you’re working.”


“Nope, double scotch please.”


“Ems and I will have prosecco, might as well a bottle, works out cheaper.” Daph sips and stares.


“They have Screaming Eagle here, wouldn't have thought that…” Brian puts the menu face down. “...a bottle of that, it’s been a while since we’ve had it, right Lindz?” 


“Just what I needed.” She simpers.


“I’ll decide when I get up there.” Justin waves him forward and goes to follow. He turns back and hands his wallet to Brian. “For the tickets, use Amex.”


“Tickets?” Lindsay frowns.


“Yeah, we’re going to New York for a couple of days. He’s got exhibition meetings; as the sponsor I need to be there too.”


“Michael and I will go with you; as Michael’s soon to be sister in law and with me organising the Asteridge Dinner, I will be heavily involved in Justin’s life.” 


“Thought George was doing the dinner?” Daph’s grimace makes Lindsay smirk.


“My knowledge of arts is far superior, and with him being so busy, naturally I wanted to help out.”


“Justin will be thrilled.” I reply, glancing at the bar. “Is everything okay with Michael? Seems to be pouting about something.”


JUSTIN


“Is there something wrong?”


“Not with me, but you look tired. Busy night?”


“A bit.” I smile. “How was yours, what’s it like living with my sister?”


“Lindsay is lovely, kind and considerate; living with her prepares me for living with you, you’re so alike.”


“No we're not.” I state. 


“Well there’s one major difference between the two of you that’s true. So what did you get up to that made your night so busy?”


“What can I get you Justin?” Marley, the barman, interrupts.


“Michael’s buying.” I return, faces register with surprise and disappointment. “Give him our order.” I turn at Daph calling my name, I nod at her gesture. “Also a bucket of beer.”


“Okay, gotcha, want me to get it brought over?” Marley calls as he fills the ice bucket.


“Please, be right back, just got to take this.” I head outside and smile at the message from Brian about Lindsay taking over the dinner. I loop Daph and Ems in my response telling them that my twista-dear should be allowed to Lady Muck herself about as much as she wants, Claudia Asteridge will [a] run her ragged and [b] not let anyone shine apart from the guest of honour - who would be me - and her.


“Might as well check the rest.” I murmur, there’s nothing that can’t wait, but the call that I missed last night tried again around nine, then every two to three minutes for an hour. “I wonder who that might have been?!” I glance inside, his back is to me, I text Brian the number asking him to call it but hide his. I start to feel stupidly paranoid as Michael continues to talk to Marley. It increases when I see Brian’s not on his phone. Just as I’m about to head back Brian texts to say he’s calling now, Lindsay was bending his ear before. 


My guilt is replaced by ice cold fury as Michael looks at his phone, rejects the call then resumes his conversation. “Bloody Peeping Tom!” I seethe, after taking a few very deep breaths head back to the bar.


“What kept you?  You’re supposed to be helping me.” He scolds.


“Talking to a couple.”


“Who and are they joining us?” He glances at our booth.


“No, they’re from last night. Nice guys.”


“Last night, what do you mean?”


“Met them whilst walking the boys. We had…a good time.”


“Okay that will be $102.74 plus a tip, please Michael.” Marley hands him the machine. “Are you gonna order food?”


“Yeah, let’s get one of each platter. And set up a tab, Drew and Ben said they might come too.” 


“You spoke to them?” He grits out as he punches in his number. “So, where was Brian during your good and busy night?”


“Ben texted Ems. As for Brian, said he was going to see Lindsay.”


“Did he? You go sit down and rest; send Lindsay over to help.” 


Jamming my hands in my pockets, I do the Gooch’s bidding. Nobody says a word as I knock back my drink. “Do you need your Uncle to do anything?” Vic scowls.


“No, we’ll handle it.” I squeeze Brian’s thigh. “Later okay?” I state at his fuming growl.


LINDSAY


“You’re not serious?!” I’m scandalised, but secretly not surprised, at his antics. “I won’t have him lying about Brian. Let me speak to him…”


“Why can’t Justin be as considerate as you? What are you going to say to him?”


“Brian I mean. Firm rules need to be in place, I won’t have that debauched behaviour in my home, nor him lying on Brian. Give me a few minutes, rest assured this will not happen again.” He looks so crestfallen that I summon Brian immediately to meet me outside.


BRIAN


“What’s Michael done?” He scowls. “You were fine a second ago.”


“Sweet of you to want to defend my honour, but it’s not him, it’s Justin.” He stiffens. “I’ve heard two things from Michael; he told him that you were with me when you weren’t, we’ll return to where you were shortly. The most worrying thing is that he met a couple during his walk last night, brought them back to our home and entertained them all night.”


“How did Michael know that?”


“He heard them.” I grimace. “That’s such dangerous behaviour. They could’ve done anything to our home, to the dogs, to him. You must insist that he doesn't do that kind of thing there.”


“Lindsay…” He squeezes my arm. “...I won’t legislate who he has or what he does there. As long as nothing bad happens, it’s his home and will be for the next five years…”


“Five? Why have you let it to him for that long?” 


“Because I live in New York with you…”


“Then why not sell it?”


“Because. Let me handle Justin; I’ll speak to him now, establish rules that work for…”


“...all four of us. Michael and I need to be happy too. Thank you for doing this. I’ll send him out.” 


She and Michael get to the booth at the same time; she again takes his seat and watches him leave.


“It was Michael that called!” He fumes.


“Yeah, I know, taking tips already. You’re not allowed to entertain anyone in the house that I don’t approve of first.” 


“What?!” 


“Yep, that's what she told me to tell you. She was so worried about what would happen to our home, the dogs and you…”


“At least I was thought of.”


“Mmm, we're going to New York.” His confused pissed off look lessens my annoyance. “When you said tickets I had to think of something. They’re also coming with us.” I glance at Lindsay; she looks delighted at what she thinks is happening. “She’s almost cumming with joy right now.”


“Why?!” He winces.


“Sorry. As a matter of interest, why not just change your number?”


He gets tearful. “Because it’s my Mom’s. He knows I will never do that.” I want to hold him so badly and fume that I can’t. “Why are they coming?”


“As Michael’s soon to be sister in law, she’s going to be heavily involved in your art and your life. However, now the Brownstone needs decorating so she’s going to pay for it - let her think we're nesting.” I growl, my anger easing as he composes himself. “And Friday, she’s already booked the tickets.”


“Christ, if only she got a clue as quick as she gets in our way. Okay, will move it to next Friday…”


“What?”


“Whisky masterclass at Butcher & Rye. You said you wanted to be a master of it...”


“Our first official date?” He nods bashfully. “I’m gonna find somewhere for a quick thank you!” 


“Hey guys!” Ben calls as he and Drew arrive. “Brandon’s coming too, want a drink?“


“We've got a booth, look for Ems.” Justin grins.


“Excellent.” He purrs, dropping the door on Drew as he dashes in. 


“Is Daph there too at least?” He rubs his arm.


“Yep, ratchet up the flirting; Lindsay is pissing her off.” I order.


“Oh the hardship.” He chuckles.


JUSTIN


Brandon slowly approaches. “I am really sorry for before. Daph has told me everything, my lips are sealed on you two. I had no idea that Michael was really like that.”


“Want to make it up to us?” Brian looks between us as Brandon nods. “Go join them, and before we get back, drop into the conversation that you and a friend met Justin last night.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thx