- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - SOME STEPPED UP TO THE BAR BUT THEY COULDN’T


LINDSAY’S OFFICE - TEN MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


“Not up for debate.” Ted snaps. “You sign this NDA, as is, or you don’t attend, either of you.”


“Excuse me, Ted, I've signed my NDA!” Lindz declares.


“And have demonstrated time and time again your unwillingness to abide by any rules.” He snipes. 


“So if you want your new bestie to be your plus one.” Emmett snarks. “He puts his moniker at the bottom - as he is - of the page.” 


“Why are you present, Emmett?” She glares.


“Protecting Justin’s ass.” He returns her glare. “He doesn’t sign, then George will call Claudia and you will be the biggest persona non grata this side of Pittsburgh.”


“Meaning?” She demands, he smiles at Ted. “I demand that you answer my question!”


“And I was going to!” Emmett spits. “Claudia’s eulogy at Ronald’s funeral will be beautiful. She’s heard tales from then and now. It took a lot of charm for George to get you invited…”


“Speaking of being invited, have you seen the guest list?” Ted interrupts. “That must have been some night they spent together!”


“Wait a second.” He scrolls on his phone, eyes widening. “Explains why he wants a hotel in Tribeca for that night. I will get the details. Now, what’s it to be?”


“I need to be in the meetings with Justin…” He blathers. “...so I know exactly what we're agreeing to.”


“I have the same arrangement with Brian…” Lindsay declares, we look incredulous. “…which I choose not to exercise. Brian’s business acumen is exemplary. Michael knows how hard Justin works. He just…”


“…wants to pounce when he’s too weak to fight him off!” Emmett snorts. “If anyone is going to be giving Justin succour that night, it will be Brandon.”


LINDSAY


“Michael, a quick word.” I lead him away. “Please sign it, this will be a coup both professionally and personally.” He frowns. “I can keep Brandon occupied, which will fire up Brian and leave you and Justin alone…”


“Time’s up - are we tearing or you signing?” Ted barks.


“Signing.” Michael stalks back to them, I breathe easier knowing exactly which dress will make me the belle of the ball! “Lindz? Lindz, are you coming?!”


I gather my things and follow them out. We're brought up short by everyone being in reception. “What’s happening?” 


“Drinks.” Brian answers. He’s by the front door, I am on the cusp of slamming it on whoever, when he turns to me. “Will you be joining us?”


“When were those decided?” I demand. “Who are you speaking to?”


“An hour ago.” Debs retorts. “If you’re coming, go freshen up. If not, we're more than happy to leave you at the hotel.”


“Hotel? Why are we at a hotel?” Michael questions.


“Because I don’t want you staying in my home alone.” Uncle George retorts. “Make up your minds now!”


FLICK’S CAR - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


After tugging my jacket from under Kiki’s ass, I glance at Lindsay who’s on the opposite side of the car next to Ma. She looks as unimpressed as I feel. “Why were we in such a rush?”


“You didn’t need to come.” Kiki doesn't pause from pancaking her face. “You could’ve gone to the hotel.”


“That is my home, and…”


“It’s George’s.” She interjects. “How long till we get there, please, Flick?”


“We’re here.” She replies, putting the partition up, unlocking the doors and getting out. 


“Can I borrow your compact,  Lindz?” I ask. She hands it across and I don’t see anything wrong. “Thanks. No need to check yourself, you look beautiful.”


Ma’s snarky look irritates. Before I can berate her, the door opens. “Ready, sis?” Uncle Vic asks. She smirks and gets out. “Flick’s got your side, Kiki.” 


“Just one more thing and I’ll be perfect.” She clucks, now that is something to be incredulous over! “You’ve got what you need, guys?!” The door closes on their answers.


“Thanks, Michael, you’ve continued to be a rock for me.” Lindz kisses my cheek. As we get out, we notice something. “Where’s Brian and Justin?” 


“Brian’s at the bar. Mel, Desmond, Justin and George had to take a call from Claudia.” Ted explains as he shows some use and holds the door. “Here comes Justin and George.” I nod at Lindz, smiling, she heads to Brian. “Aren’t you coming, Michael?”


“I need to talk to Jus…”


“Not before I piss!” He declares. “Anyone know…”.


“It’s this way!” Emmett holds out an elbow, giggling, they disappear.


“I’ve just remembered, I need to return a call to a supplier…” I wave my phone. “...see you at the bar. Can you get me a beer, please, Ted?”


“Oh, okay…” He frowns slightly. “...any beer is okay?”


“Yes, please.” I smile and step outside. Once he is swallowed by the crowd, I make my way to where I can see the bathroom doors and wait.


BLAKE


“It was totally ingenious!” Ted beams. “For you…” He hands me my drink. “...is everything signed off? Sip, then answer.”


“Oh, this is delicious! And yes, I’m free and clear for the next six months!”


“You are?” George lights up. “Would you like to redo the brownstone?”


“Why do you look happy about that?” 


“Because it’s under my power now.” I gape at him. “They’re lucky it’s a nice evening.” More sniggering abounds; I glance over Ted’s shoulder, their ugliness a stark contrast to the beautiful garden. “So want to hear how we are brat free until dinner?” 


“Oh yes. And…” The clap of thunder is followed by lashing rain. They rush to the dining room, perching like vultures at the bar. However, much to our amusement, they’re moved as they were standing in front of the serving hatch! “…yes to decorating the brownstone, can I have carte blanche?”


“You can have any carte you want.” George chuckles. “It was Mel and Desmond, who played them beautifully…”


Start of flashback

PRIVATE BOOTH, HIGH SOCIETY BAR - 50 MINUTES PRIOR


GEORGE


I watch her take in the ambience and clientele and smile. It is truly living up to its name. Lindsay is alternating between scowling at the backs of Brian and Daphne as they had to take a call or fighting the urge to pirouette in the full length mirror to the side of the booth.


“Lindsay.” I repeat, she prises her face away. “What do you want to drink?”


“I’m getting these, George.” Ted declares.


“You are not.” I assert, he puts away his wallet.


“Champagne for Michael and me.” She states. “Where is he?”


“Had to make a call.” Ted replies. “But he wants…”


“Speaking of calls, what did Claudia have to say? Hold on, Michael’s coming, he needs to be told too.” She mistakes my silence for acceptance of their ‘role’ in the dinner. “I’ve ordered champagne for us, is…is everything alright?”


“It will be fine, I had a frustrating call…” He sulks. “...you can have my champagne, I want a beer. Emmett, where’d Justin go?”


“He’s talking to Sidney.” He replies. “I think he and Claudia are going to get on just swell!”


“Swell?” Michael scoffs, then sighs angrily. “Surely, Sidney’s not coming…” 


“Good evening all, my name is Friedrich; I will be your waiter this evening.” He smiles. “I have a party of 15. Are we all present?”


“We’re now 11; can we keep the booth?” I plead.


“Absolutely; given how busy it is, this is a relief!” He laughs.


“Eleven?” Michael frowns. “If Brian and Justin aren’t joining us, it makes no sense for Lindz and me to stay.”


“They are…” Lindsay smirks. “...Mel and Desmond have left.”


“Oh that’s good, but there’s still only…” He pinches his nose. “...Emmett, when you said Justin is talking to Sidney; did you mean on the phone?”


Emmett stops searching in his bag. “What’s it to you?” 


“I would’ve thought it was obvious…” Michael states.


“It’s not, so explain.” Debs orders, we all turn to him. 


“What’s going on now?” Daph grouses as she and Brian sink into their seats.


“Nothing, let’s just order.” Michael decrees.


“Finally, something sensible comes out of your mouth!” Kiki snipes. “Daph, can you go and get Justin, before Michael starts crying!”


“One sec!” She laughs and disappears into the throng.


“Right, when they get back…” I signal Friedrich, who had discreetly backed away. “...there will be no more work discussed, this is a time to feast!”


“Thank you, Uncle George.” Lindsay simpers. “We’ve been so busy since we got back to…”


“You two being exhausted because of your conniving and power sulking isn’t classed as work.” I bite out, they glare at the sniggering. “Friedrich, we have dinner reservations for nine thirty at Ophelia. Do you think we’ve got enough time for two rounds?”


“Yes, if you order them together, I will bring them separately, if that makes suits?”


“Wonderful idea. Can you bring the machine so we can pay for them now?” I beam. “Right, now we’re all present, everyone order their drinks, please.” 


Michael glances longingly at Justin, who’s sitting between Daph and Emmett, Lindsay is pressed up against Brian, having almost vaulted into his lap. Ever so often she strokes his thigh or leans closer to whisper and giggle. 


“Are we ready, sir?” Friedrich asks.


“Yes, I will start with a rhubarb Paloma followed by a Brandy Alexander, Ted, do you…”


“Excuse me, sir, before we continue, I need to see everyone’s ID?” 


“Of course…” I hand over mine. “...as a matter of interest, why?”


“So that everyone is who they say they are.” He smiles, returning it. “And old enough to drink.” 


“Michael, pass my purse, please?” Lindsay twitters, as neither are paying attention to each it crashes to the table, spilling the contents. “Please be careful, that’s a Birkin…”


“Is that a merkin in your Birkin?” Kiki points at a bunch of hair.


“Of course not!” Lindsay scowls at the laughter. “It’s an extension!” 


“Kiki, show some class!” Michael hisses. 


“Michael, fish in the right pond!” She retorts.


“Stop it, both of you!” Debs orders. “Give your IDs and order your drinks!”


Kiki kisses her cheek. “Sorry, Debs. Here you go, Friedrich…” He winks as he takes it. “...I will have a Naked and Famous and No Apologies please.”


“Of course, may I see your ID, sir?” He turns to Michael. He pastes on a smile and hands him his wallet. “It’s not here, sir.” 


“What do you mean? It’s always in the front…” He takes it back and goes through it, looking increasingly worried. “...I don’t understand, where is it?!”


“May I see your ID, madam…” He turns to Lindsay, who’d tossed the hair to the floor. “...and if you could pick that up, it would be most appreciated.” 


“You have busboys for that kind of thing.” She sniffs from inside her purse. “I’m sure you can…wait, where’s my…oh no!” 


“What’s wrong?” Brian looks up from the menu. 


“How could Mel have been so stupid!” She fumes. 


“Do not call Mel stupid!” Kiki snaps.


“She is!” Michael grabs his phone. “Because she took our IDs during that unnecessary meeting before we took off! Why the fuck didn’t she give them back?!” 


Lindsay smiles at an unimpressed Friedrich. “A friend of ours will be along with our IDs, in the meantime…”


“As it is so balmy, you’ll both move to the garden.” He hands her a napkin. “‘This is the busboy you need to pick that up.” 


“This is preposterous! Everyone here can vouch for us!” She exclaims.


“Vouching needs to be with ID, no exceptions.” He calls. “Horja, a moment please.”


“Who am I helping with?”


“Once she has picked up her detritus…” He moves it closer with his foot. “...escort this lady and this gentleman to the garden; ensure all staff know that their choices are hot or soft drinks, or, if that remains on the floor, to meet their friends at Ophelia’s.”


“Do you know who I am?!” Lindsay growls.


“Not without ID, no.” Horja returns. “So are you going to the garden?”


“No, we will wait in the car!” She declares.


“Desmond needed to go back to the office and Mel to court for some emergency pro bono work, so they have the cars.” Emmett hands over his ID. “Not sure if they’ll be joining us for dinner. Vic and Flick will meet us at Ophelia’s. If you hurry, you can get that table under the gable.”


Seething, she stuffs the napkin and extension back into her Birkin. “I shall have words with the owner over this treatment!” 


“I look forward to it!” Friedrich drawls.

End of flashback


TED


“Excuse me…” Horja comes up with a screen. “…I’ve been requested by the next booth to section you off.”


“Oh, I am so sorry…” I turn to the occupants. “…were we too loud?”


“No…” One of them chuckles. “…thought I would give you a break from the laser staring!”

 

“Your next round is on me!” I declare.

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing.