- Text Size +

CHAPTER 25 - DINNER BRINGS ANOTHER BARRIER TO THEIR ASPIRATIONS


LINDSAY


“Lindsay.” Uncle George growls. 


“Claudia, I regret what happened earlier, I…”


“Just stop. I’ve heard of the desperate behaviour that occurs in some when something is being so effortlessly taken away from them, never thought I would see it in someone of your standing.” 


Michael glowers at the smirking dunderheads. “She’s apologised, there’s no need to be snippy. Besides, she’s not normally like this, is she, Brian?”


“She expressed regret, not apologised, totally different!” Blake scoffs. “Trust me, Claudia, she's normally much worse!” 


“So I’ve heard.” A schlub pulling up a chair makes the base born bastard gawk. “Karis, we're ready to order.” She hands him a menu. “Would it be easier for us to have the tasting, how many big tables do you have and are you behind?”


“If you could. Four and because of an earlier incident…” She glances at me. “…twenty minutes.”


“I see. Tasting plus the wines to match please.” He declares. “Hello Justin.” 


“Hi Uncle Carl, I...” He starts to snivel.


“The atrium is empty.” Karis says quietly. “You can go there.” 


Carl nods. “Excuse us, Clauds, George and Debs come too, please, we won’t be long.”


“Poor Little Hobo.” The Gorgon watches their backs. “God I hate to see him cry!”


“He wasn’t.” Michael states. “He was sniffing, most probably because of the flowers. He’s allergic to a whole bunch of them…oh haha!” 


“Allergies?!” She growls. “Do you know who Uncle Carl is to him?”


“Jesus fucking Christ!” KIki seethes. “You two…have been saved by Claudia and George!” 


“He wants Brian, Daphne and Emmett.” She smiles wanly. As they leave, she drains her glass. “Another round of drinks is called for!” She orders whiskies, they arrive swiftly, we drink in silence.


After another ten minutes of silence and furtive glances towards the atrium I decide to take matters in hand, show her how I get things done! “I’ll just hurry them along, we’ve got dinner after all. Michael, will you come and help?”


“Sure Lindz…”


“Sit back down.” Claudia hisses, blocking my path, whilst Uncle George looks disgusted. “They won’t be much longer!”


“We were just trying…” I protest red-faced.


“Trying? Yes you are!” Uncle George sighs. “Karis, more whiskey, please. No more booze for these two, their behaviour has been bad enough!”


“Of course, I will make their server aware.” 


CARL


I chuckle at Clauds jamming her hands behind her back. The brat doesn’t realise that she’s messing with a society dame that boxes for funsies! I stiffen at the arm being looped into mine. 


“Please call me Daph. Thank you for what you did. Now can you melt into the sweet curmudgeon that I know you to be under that gruff exterior or I won’t help you get with Debs?”


“Help me with Debs?” I retort, my stare down makes her smile not quail. “I’m sure there’s…”


Her arm is wrenched away. “Finish that with ‘enough money to make her come around’; Uncle Carl or not, I will punch you in the throat!”


For the first time in years, I’m blushing. “I apologise for my assumption, Daph.” Her gaze softens. “Gonna put it back?” 


Huffing dramatically, she does so. “So what you gonna do?”


“You tell me.” I mutter, glancing at Debs who, incredibly, is holding Justin, Brian and Emmett!


“I mean about Lindsay and the Hazard? We cannot have them at the show or the dinner.”


“Haz…jeez that your stomach?!” She nods sheepishly. “C’mon then let’s go eat!”


BRANDON


“Michael wants to make sure her leg is not too damaged.” Ted explains why they’re now sitting together.  


“What about her ego?” Debs bristles. “That shellacking had to hurt.” 


“Quite. Now let’s have the first course before any more dramatics.” Mel rises as she talks. “Justin, would you mind sitting next to Brian? I may need to leave early, and it will save a lot of shifting around.” 


Seats are swiftly taken and the food served. “This is delicious!” I declare. They are picking at theirs, though her ability to eat whilst grinding her teeth is unladylike but impressive!


“Good to see you’re a bit brighter, Justin, after your little upset.” Her coldness and Michael’s nodding has me livid, but before I can deal a glass is slammed down.


“I thought they were making it up; nobody could be so dismissive about their father!” Carl snarls. “This will not be tolerated whilst I’m around. Let me introduce myself to everyone properly. I am Carl Horvath, Justin’s godfather and Ronald’s best friend.”


LINDSAY


Well that explains his presence, have to admit he’s not quite what I expected. I heard of him from Daddy. He had asked me to meet him a couple of times, having eulogised ad nauseum; I had no interest in meeting an ex beat cop, so always tuned him out. However, now that I come to think of it, there is something of import he mentioned.


“Lindsay?” I look up at Ted’s smug tone. “Drew asked you a question.”


“Which was?” I sigh crossly, the interruption means the thing about Carl has slipped my mind again!


“How didn’t you know she’s Claudia?” Drew asks. Judging by her vicious smile, the Gorgon encouraged him! 


“Oh, she did…” Mel laughs, I want to slap her mouth shut. “...but she googled the wrong one at the airport. Sadly I didn’t have time to correct her before our flight was called.”


“That was you searching?” Claudia sneers. “She found my cousin; like I said, desperation makes people exercise poor judgement and...”


“...that’s enough, Clauds.” Uncle George kisses her cheek, after all she’s done! “Now before the second course, Carl has something he wishes to say.”


“Thanks, George.” Carl rumbles. “Both the dinner and show will be pushed back by six weeks. When the organising restarts, Lindsay, your assistance will be contingent on…”


“For god sake, Brian, stand up for her!” Michael exclaims. “And what, pray tell, could possibly take precedence over the honouring of Justin’s talent at the show and dinner?!”


DEBS


“Burying dad.” Justin whispers. “We were waiting for Uncle Carl to get clearance from his surgeon to travel.” As Brian comforts him, Lindsey's venomous look is not missed by Carl who grips his glass. “I didn’t know he had it until he arrived.”


“I got it this morning and flew out as soon as I could. I should’ve called to tell them.  So, between the time he was told and now; how the fuck didn’t you notice he hadn’t been to the funeral?!” Everyone is shocked into silence. “Her I get because she only loved his money, but you, you have been up Justin’s ass since you met him!” 


 “We read his will, I-I thought he’d been buried.” He stammers. 


“They need to leave!” Carl thunders. “Get their coats please Karis. My car is outside; are they going to the brownstone, George?”


“Yes. Be prepared for yet another shellacking tomorrow!” After their meek departure, scandalised chatter and laughter ripples round the room. “Justin, are you okay? Need anything?”


“Hmmm. Don’t suppose they can make guava juice?” 


“I’ll find out.” Brian wipes his eyes as he walks away.


“Oh they both need a sound and prolonged spanking!” I growl. 


“Let’s discuss who delivers that over post-prandial drinks!” Daph declares.


CARL


“I’m gonna join you both if that’s okay?” Daph nods and winks, I wink back. “Oh, they had some?” I smile as Brian returns with two drinks then insists that Justin has his first. “Why don’t you go to your place in Tribeca?” They look stunned. “I’m an ex-cop with friends in high places. Go on, they’re going to be too busy trying to suck up to worry about where you are for now.”


“You seem very sure about that.” Emmett sighs as they depart. “They have clung on like diamond encrusted barnacles, especially him!”


“Because…” George and I grin.. “...Carl’s an Asteridge from birth. Claud, and virtually every female in the family, is named after his mother, who started the dinners.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx

To be continued.
MissMerlot is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked The Look and The Deal also liked 399 other stories.