- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - A GLIMPSE OF HER DARKNESS AND HIS FIGHT


INSIDE THE CAR - FIVE MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I drum my fingers on my handbag. Where is he?! I lean forward to rap on the partition, he takes his time. “I’d like to go now!” The driver gives a curt nod and starts the engine. I put my head back and think about what has just happened. Answers need to be gotten and gotten quickly! When my phone rings I send Brian to voicemail. I’ve got more important things to do. He’ll call back in a minute, he always does. When I look back again, he's on the curb pocketing his phone, so I wait for his voicemail. “Can you pull over immediately? You need to pick up my friend.”


“I can’t pull over for the next couple of blocks, ma’am. I’ll get a ticket, which I will have to pay for.”


“Then you’d better hope he’s quick!” I retort. “Keep it open!” I snap at his attempt to close the partition. I recheck my phone then decide to refresh my lipstick and wait for his voicemail; I am still waiting 5 minutes later and now he’s nowhere to be seen. 


“Ma’am, I need to move as there’s a traffic warden…”


“You’ll just have to find some charm and talk yourself out of it then, won’t you?!” I declare, and start to text Brian.


BRIAN


Oh, she’s pissed me off! But as soon as I think that, my rammed down my throat Catholicism puts the fire out. I knew she would flounce off, but she could’ve waited. This is not my fault, and I have no sympathy for her either. The badgering about the bequest will begin. Although I’m not sure why Ronald left it, I’m grateful, just like I’m grateful for all he did for me. His help in setting up Kinnetic, especially the internship in his real estate company, was invaluable. Lindsay, of course, demanded that I be paid for it, which I was but in return I made him a minority shareholder. She doesn’t know about that; she would see it as a betrayal.


I look for a cab, then realise I don’t know where we are staying. They made all the arrangements; I search for Ted’s card but can’t find it, so head back to reception. The lift isn't long, it opens to reveal Justin and friends.


“Whatever you forgot, can I help you find it?” Emmett smiles.


“I need the name of the hotel.” I laugh. “Lindsay went without me.” 


“Of course she did.” I turn to see Ted coming down the stairs; he has a tie. “You forgot this.” He hands it to Justin, who takes it tearfully. “And you forgot this.” He hands me his card. ”You're in the hotel opposite them, why not share their car?” 


“That’s a delightful idea.” Emmett purrs. Yep, that is definitely purring, which I find amusing as opposed to discomfiting. He knows I’m not gay, so it doesn't bother me. Not sure why it seems to annoy Michael though.


I’m about to agree when my phone beeps. “Lindsay, she’s just up the road, doesn’t say where though.” 


“Let our driver find out where.” Sidney suggests. “We can at least drop you there, can’t we?”


“Um, yeah, I’ll just let her know that.” 


“Good. Good. Now, Ted, is the car in the garage still?” He asks and Ted nods. “Then come along, you can text her on the way. I feel for your sake, the quicker we get to your damsel in distress, the better.”


TED


I chuckle as they head downstairs. Not sure what Sidney is up to, but he’s been in this building so many times and he knows that sending a text won’t work, it is one of the many perks of this place! When I get back to the conference room, George is howling with laughter, but says that he’ll let Brian tell me all about it!


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I can’t believe he’s not replied! He knows how upset I am, that I need to rest, where the fuck is he?! 


“Ma’am, I’ve just heard from the other driver, they’re two minutes away.” 


“Why would that be of interest to me?” I snipe.


“Because he has the gentlemen you came with in his vehicle.” Before I can say anything, the window is knocked on by the traffic cop he managed to talk around earlier. “Just two minutes. The person is coming, I swear.”


“Sorry, buddy, times up.” The meter maid takes out his leather bound ticket pad and starts his write up. I’m delighted as I find this driver most surly! 


“He’s here now!” The driver exclaims; , sure enough, Brian is getting out of a car. “Sir, if you could hurry, I would really appreciate it!”


“You’re not getting a ticket, are you?” Brian asks; the driver nods. “Can you let him off? It’s not his fault.” He asks and I hope his charm will not prevail. My wish is granted when he shakes his head. “In that case, give it to me, I’ll pay it.”


“Sir, that’s very kind of you, but…”


“I insist.” Brian takes out his card. “Let’s get this settled now, please.”


Five minutes later, he’s by my side, as he should be, I close the partition on the over-effusive thanking driver. “I think you’ve made his day. The same can’t be said for me.” I turn to the window and sniff.


“What did I do wrong?” He sighs. “And can you tell me in the hotel? What’s it called, by the way?”


“Why do you need to know that? We’re going to be…” Him lowering the partition astonishes me. 


“Hi, can you tell me where we’re going, please?”


“Sure, Mr Kin…”


“Brian, please, and you are?”


“Vic. Vic Grassi. And you’re staying at the Etage Executive Living.”


“Thanks, Vic, appreciate it.” He closes the partition, then takes out his phone. He must have felt my furious stare as he turns to face me. “I need to let Daphne know...”


“You’re thinking of work at this moment?!” I gasp.


“I’d already told you that there are papers that she needs me to sign. You were fine with…”


“That was then, surely they can wait?! I need you to…”


“Lindsay.” He starts to sound petulant. “Let me get this sorted out, then you can have my undivided attention, okay?”


“Fine, you have five minutes.” I retort as I dab my eyes.


“It will take longer than that. I’ve got to…”


“Your multi-million dollar business can wait a day!” I snap. “Why are you being so unfeeling? I see my treacherous father’s money has already changed you!” 


His grip on his phone tightens. “Don’t ever say anything like that about Ronald or me again. I understand that you’re shocked and upset, but never again. Is that understood?” 


“Brian, I…”


“Yes or no?” He demands.


“Yes, but…”


“So your real answer is no.” He opens the partition. “How long till we get there, Vic?”


“About ten minutes, Brian. Want me to call ahead for anything? We use this hotel a lot.”


“No, um, actually yeah, I need an office to work in. Could that be arranged? I’ll pay, obviously.”


BRIAN


I feel as well as hear her gasp of outrage; but that’s nothing compared to mine. I’m so furious that my guilt gets kicked in the balls and hobbles away. 


“Leave it with me, Brian.”


“Thanks, Vic.” I smile, following a swift count to ten, I turn to Lindsay. “All of this could’ve been avoided if you had just waited.” She goes to speak. “Please listen. I get that you’re upset, but that doesn’t give you the right to take it out on me or Vic.”


“Vic? What does he have to do with any of this?!” 


“The ticket.” I wave it at her, she snatches it from me, I think she’s going to screw it up but she’s looking incredulous. “What’s the problem? It’s the standard cost for parking near a hydrant.” She moves it out of reach. “Fine, keep it.” I retort and run my hand through my hair instead,


“I won’t, but you can. Perhaps maybe call that happy number on it!” 


“Now what are you talking…” She shoves it in my face and sure enough, there’s a phone number and a smiley face. “Why are you looking at me like that? I didn’t even notice!”


“You didn’t notice someone writing down their number, or the way he looked at you?!” 


“How he looked at me, how was that?” I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. 


“Like he wanted to get into your pants!” 


You’d recognise that look all too well, since you throw it my way so much, I’m beginning to call you Pippen Peterson in my head; is what I want to say but don’t. “Lindsay, can we…”


“We’re here!” Vic calls out. We’re both surprised, not that we’ve arrived, but that the partition is still down, so he heard everything. She goes white as a sheet before storming into the hotel. We sit in silence for a few minutes. “I’ll give you a moment to, um, decompress as I believe they say up in the Big Apple…” I chuckle and nod. “...I’ll take in your cases then get the keycard for the office for you.”


“Thanks, Vic, but leave the cases, I can’t have you taking all of those.” I roll my eyes. “We’re only here for three days, although I suspect we’ll be going earlier. She didn't need to pack that much.”


“Ah, who knows the working of the feeble, I mean female mind, Brian.” Vic grins. “And besides, we have bellhops in Pittsburgh, so I wasn’t going to carry them. Although I will be splitting any tips you feel the need to give!” I return his cheery salute as he gets out.


I rub my temples, dreading having to face Lindsay from this point on. How I wish that the drinks with Ted were sooner rather than later; then I have an idea, a most excellent idea. I feel my spirits lift as I wait for the call to connect.


“Hey, Brian, how are you doing? Everything okay? Give me a few minutes to get back to my desk, I was taking advantage of your absence to leave early!” She laughs.


“Daphne Chanders, I’m disgusted, I thought I could trust you!” I tease, she laughs harder, then curses when she drops something. “Such language! When you get back to said desk, gather those papers and anything else you think I might need to look at, and book yourself a ticket to Pittsburgh tonight.”


“Tonight? Why? I thought you were coming back on Monday?”


“Plans have changed. There’s been major disruption in Lindsey's life; I can’t face her alone. Have pity.”


“Oh, alright, suppose I can come and assist. Premium economy; where am I staying?”


“Yes, to premium and Etage Executive Living, you'd fit right in, very sharp and slick.” As I take in the elegance of the entrance, I see Lindsay waiting by the inner door, her face mottled and her foot tapping. “Oh crap.” I mutter, then clear my throat. “So…”


“No so...judging by that ‘oh crap’, some of it has hit the fan. Booking the next economy flight out…”


“Daph, it…”


“It’s serious, I’m doing that.” She asserts, before hanging up.


“Thank you.” I whisper.


VIC


Wow! Just wow, what a noxious chit, or should that be shit, that person - for she ain’t a lady - is! I feel so sorry for him having to deal with her for the rest of the night. As I signal the bellhop, an idea occurs to me. I wait for the cases to be wheeled in, therefore blocking her view of the car.


I take her seat and smile. “My turn to do a kindness. I’ve got some admin skills. Ronald, God rest his soul, wasn’t the greatest with technology, so I would type most of his letters. Anything you need doing whilst you’re waiting for your assistant?” He frowns. “I wasn't trying to listen in, I assume your need for her to be here tonight means something needs doing? Also, I make an excellent cup of coffee, and have been known to throw in a brandy or two as well.”


He looks like he wants to cry with relief. “Are you sure you don’t mind?”


“If I did, I wouldn't offer. Give me your briefcase and phone, let’s make haste.” His face falls. “Trust me, I know what I’m doing.”


I get out, then open his door, I hear the swallow as he exits. She is already marching towards us. “Excuse me, Ms Peterson, but Brian needs to take a call from Mr Schickel about…”


“Well, Uncle George is going to have to wait, I take precedence here!”


“He wanted to talk to you, Lindsay, but knew how upset you would be, so he thought it would be best if we spoke and I relayed the message after you’ve had a rest.” Brian tells her.


“Finally, you’re thinking of me.” She bitches. Oh, how I want to give her a good spanking. “I’ll be in the...wait, where are you going with him?”


“George said he might be sending some papers for you to read and sign. Vic is going to take them back with him.” I almost fist pump at his quick thinking. “Why don’t you grab a drink in the bar? Vic can tell you how long we will be, that way you can either wait or go to your room for that much needed rest.” 


She rubs her temple, before adopting a forlorn and weary look. “Alright, Bri, I'll do that.” She kisses his cheek. “Sorry I was a bit cross with you earlier. I’ll make it up to you.” She strokes his arm as she steps back. “I expect to hear from you in the next ten minutes!” She raps out and stalks to the bar.


We head to the lift in silence; there’s a couple of people in there so the silence continues. It’s when we get to the office and the door closes that he relaxes. “Thank you so much, you can go back now.”


“Oh no I can’t. I’ve got to go and see her in ten minutes, remember? So you’re stuck with me because I’m the buffer, the longer I stay, the better.” I point out as I start to make some coffee.


“Good thinking.”


“So what did you do?” I regard him. “You seem like a black and strong guy.”


“Bl...what? Oh, coffee! Yes, please. As for do, called her out on her behaviour and not pandered to her demands, for once.” He loosens his tie and drapes it carefully over the chair. “Although this is kind of pandering, I guess.” 


“No, this is saving your hide from the savage beast.” I return, handing him the coffee, then sit opposite him with mine. “Although, you must have done some serious shit in either your past life or in your childhood to be punished with her!” We both laugh. “But you have a couple of positives coming out of this from what I hear.”


“Which are?”


“Well one is me and the other is Emmett. It seems you have a bit of a fan.” 


“Ah, yes, he looks like a cool guy, wouldn’t mind hanging out with him. He does know how to tie one on...”


“I’ve heard that!” I grin.


“I was talking about my actual tie, but if he can drink like that, then a meet up is definitely in order. Shame I don’t have his number.”


“You don’t, but I know a man that does.” I smile at his frown. “As I said earlier, leave it with me.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

if reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx