- Text Size +

CHAPTER 5 - SOME EYES ARE GREENER THAN MOST OR THEY WILL BE


LINDSEY'S SUITE - SATURDAY LATE MORNING


LINDSAY


Finally, I’ve got my phone back! That nightmare of a slattern was in a meeting when I called down at 0800, then at 0930, when she was supposed to bring it back, instead she sent insincere apologies and promised to have it brought to me as soon as possible. The lackey finally arrived at 1100 without a word of apology for keeping me waiting; seems to me they need to know how important I am.


I find Uncle George’s number amongst the papers I grabbed and wait for him to pick up. He doesn’t. So much for family! I am fuming as I hang up, but then redial. I am his niece, and he should speak to me in my hours of need. Besides, I want to know what he and Brian talked about! It is on my fifth attempt that he picks up. 


“Uncle George, it’s Lindsay!” I sniff whilst neatening my lipstick in the mirror. “I’m so upset with all...” I’m pleased when he interrupts to say he will see me in five minutes with coffee and croissants; this is more like it!


GEORGE


I have to stop myself from kicking the door open! She's been here less than a day, and already she’s bathed herself in ignominy! When she ‘grants me an audience’ tears are at the ready. I step back from her attempt to seek solace in my embrace.


“Uncle George…” She quavers once she’s steadied herself.


“Go and sit down.” I clip out as I stride past her. I smile at the room she's been given. Yes, it is good, but the ones that Brian and Daphne have are corner penthouse suites! “How dare you comport yourself in such a way?” I demand.


“In what way? I’m responding to the shabby and heartless treatment I’ve received. I’ve been abandoned by those who should be comforting me in my…”


“You have been treated a lot better than you deserve. Dry your eyes, you’re not fooling me. I remember your mother’s river of tears. Such a shame you are perpetuating her past poisonous personality!” Her lips set in a thin line. “She changed, made amends with Ronald, with the family in fact, once she saw how much her behaviour had caused you to hurt him.”


“Mother never said.”


“You never listened. It is easier for you to play the victim or brat.” I sit down with my coffee and croissant and catch her look. “Get them yourself if you want it hot.” She remains seated. “Do you know that’s why she left you her estate? Because she knew you would not change towards my brother. For years, he was angry enough to leave you with nothing…”  


“If Mother had said…”


“Stop subscribing to the adage that the dead can’t defend themselves and get ready. Although I’m surprised, I’m pleased to see you were reading the papers...”


“I wasn’t. And ready for what? Where am I going?” She demands.


“To sort out the remains of my brother’s bequest.”


“I don’t have an attorney. Besides, we need to wait for Brian to come as I need to speak to him before I do anything. And in private. Then we will go with you, we can discuss his bequest at the same time.” She declares. “He won’t mind.”


“Lindsay, he might not but I do. Beside, is my brother’s wish that I handle yours, and Ted deals with Brian and Justin’s. Get...”


“That’s another thing: Justin; I am not convinced he is…”


“Your father gave him his kidney. All the proof you’re hysterically and unwisely demanding is in the office for your perusal...” I rub the back of my neck. “...as for an attorney, we managed to persuade your previous firm to represent you. However, it will be the junior partner, Melanie Marcus, who will be dealing with you. As to why she's taking one for the team, this sees out their notice and avoids any penalties that leaving without would’ve cost them. Melanie has copies of the paperwork, we’re going to be conferencing with her in an hour. The longer you delay, the more fines I impose. I may have to honour his wishes, how I get you to comply is down to me. You will lose $10K for every infraction.”


Forty minutes later, I have a seething and red faced Lindsay in the car. First, I made her apologise to Darryl and Marlo for her behaviour; which they took a while to accept. Then she had to call Vic and do the same; he was very gracious, though she was almost foaming when I made her promise whilst he was on the line to repay Brian the cost of the ticket. Especially when I made him promise to tell Brian that she promised. I almost combusted with laughter when she tried to speak to Brian and Vic answered. I’m not sure she believed that Vic had just found Brian’s phone jammed in the seat and he’d just found it, nor that the battery was almost dead; he was ‘cut off’ before she could probe further. 


Little does she know that the best thing is to come. Well for me anyway. I look forward to when she finds out that she has mere ‘pennies’; for Justin alone inherits Ronald’s personal estate, making him far richer than that little girl’s wildest dreams.


JUSTIN’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


DAPH


I take a photo and smile. He’s going to love them! I hear Justin’s groan, which makes me smile wider - he should really stick to Beam, the man is such a lightweight when it comes to cocktails. I sit up and check my messages. Now that’s odd, nothing from Brian. I scramble to find my other phone, it has only one number: Brian’s secret mobile. As it rings and rings, my heart sinks and sinks, but then almost bursts with relief.


“Umgakjg.” 


“Good morning!” I chirrup, whilst nodding at a mug waving Justin.


“Mmm safe, where?” 


“Friend’s house. Eaten? Hungry? Hungover? Ligger-less?”


“No. Yes. Yes. Yes.” He whispers. There’s rustling and then lip smacking. “Urgh. Call back. Five.”


“Fine. Let me send you somewhere for us to meet. You need something other than the dryness I saw on the menu. Get dressed and await further instructions. Understand?”


“Mmm. Later.” He replies, then hangs up.


“Hey, Jus, we’re meeting a friend to silence our hangovers. We three all need to mainline carbs, know a place?”


He’s coming in very carefully with two mugs. I meet him halfway. I need coffee, and his hold looks precarious to say the least. “Give them and sit down. Got orange juice?”


“No. Have nothing. I was…” Whatever he was is interrupted by the doorbell. “...can you?” He whimpers, curling into a ball.


“Getting rid?” I ask, taking a sip then checking his phone when it beeps. “Says it’s Emmett, he has the car and Teddy.”


“Oh thank Christ. Let him in.” He croaks, standing up. “Then hop in the shower. I know just the place.” 


FIVE MINUTES LATER


EMMETT


I’m gauging his reaction. Apart from being severely hungover, he doesn’t look miffed, he looks...he looks curious. “Why would I be mad though?” Justin takes another sip of coffee, some of his colour is coming back. “We really should name them.” He smiles stroking their ears.


“Not so much mad, but disappointed in my antics.” I reply, whilst Teddy smirks.


“Emmett, you’re a grown man, so is he…” Justin joins Ted in smiling. “...what was it like, and how’d it come about?”


“As you know we were in Woody’s; about six cocktails in he heard that he’s second in the hotness stakes…” Ted snorts. “...he was most offended. I mean really offended. He spent at least ten minutes sulking! I said if he didn’t stop I would kiss that sulk away, he didn’t, so I did.” 


“That covers the how; what about the what?” Ted jibes; I try not to blush. “Wait? You kissed him and he…”


“Kissed me back.” I reply; they look as stunned as I felt.


“Who wouldn’t kiss you back? You’re gorgeous, and I’m Daphne.” I kiss her hand, then introduce myself and Teddy. “Nice to meet you two wonderful...Schmidt? As in the lovely but sadly late Ronald’s accountant?” 


“Yes.” Teddy looks a bit confused. “How do you know me?”


“I’m Brian’s assistant. We spoke briefly before he set off with the distraught dirge.” She explains. “Now back to your necking, Ems, Brian kissed you back?” I nod; she looks thoughtful. “Had my suspicions. Nobody spends that much time ‘hiding’ away from the ligger in a gay bar!” 


“What’s the matter?” Ted demands when she gasps and goes still.


Justin laughs and stands. “Whilst she’s formulating a sentence, I need more coffee, then we’ll head off. I can take the food, not the coffee. It tastes like it was made in 1956!” I wave him off more interested in what has Daphne all of a tizzy.  


She watches him leave before beaming at us. “He was talking about him!” She jerks her head in Justin’s direction. 


“Brian was talking about Justin?” Ted frowns. “When did you speak?”


“No. Justin was talking about Brian. A lot. Last night when we were deeply drinking. Got quite animated.”


“Animated?” I gape at Teddy. “Now that’s an interesting tidbit, as normally he keeps that very quiet. For obvious reasons.”


“What reasons?” Daphne holds up a finger when her phone beeps. “Hangriness is hitting, we need to feed the firebrand. Justin! Where are we going?!” She hollers. 


“The approval committee, his ‘best friend’ Michael, he…” I begin, then peer at Justin’s beeping phone, which hasn’t stopped beeping since we got here. “...who would be the wearisome woodpecker hitting the wood that is Justin’s number!”


“Michael, you say?” Daphne’s expression darkens. “Now he’s someone I want to meet! Hold on…” She strides to the doorway. “...Jus! Your phone is going mad! It's Michael! Can you either answer or turn it off!”


Justin sighs as he comes in. “Please, can we have a couple of hours without you going at him, Ems?”


“I suppose. Where are we going though?”


“The Diner.” He replies, texting Michael back; I hide my smile as Ted heads to the bathroom, on his phone, I know exactly who he’s calling, and look forward to it immensely.


CAR TO THE DINER - FORTY MINUTES LATER


VIC


“You are a disgrace. Utter disgrace.” I tease, handing over his phone. 


“I know. Any calls?” He grins as he pockets it. 


“Lindsay. She’s on her way to the office. Her uncle wants her to go through the paperwork. So, did anything happen last night? You at least had a good time, correct?”


“Yes Vic, apart from my ego taking a dinging, I had a great time. Emmett kissed me.” I pull over and kill the engine; he stares out of the window for a few seconds. “My mother would be so disappointed.” He sighs, fiddling with the zip of his jacket; I say nothing. “Once more, I mean. She was most annoyed, even up to the point of death, that I hadn’t given her grandchildren. She thought that Lindsay and I would make great parents.”


“Do you want them?” I ask.


“Yeah, but I’ve not found anyone I want to have them with. But I know...I know that it…”


“Won’t be Lindsay, despite her aspirations?” I probe.


“No it won’t. I just...I just don’t feel that way about her.” 


“How long have you known that she wants you like that?”


“The moment we met.” Brian’s grimace is deep and heartfelt. “I just wanted to help her. I’ve not encouraged her in any way. She’s terrifying in her pursuit; I feel like a hunted animal. I want to be wooed, to be...never mind. I’ve reached over hungriness and am over sharing; let’s go and never speak of this again.”


“We will, but when you’re ready, okay?” I pat his knee and hold his gaze.


“Okay. Thanks.” He gives a small smile.


“So about the kiss, was it good?” I grin at his nod. “Great. We’ll be there in ten minutes.” I watch for an opening in traffic. “In the meantime, let me tell you about Debs. It’s best to go in forewarned.”


DINER - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS:


I stiffen, but hold my tongue. Vic said he’s on his way with a friend that needs some guidance, but I need to be gentle and that, to be honest, is the only thing that is keeping me calm. The source of my continual annoyance is watching the door like a hawk. As it opens, I can’t help the smile nor the feeling of sorrow. Jen loved coming here, especially when meeting her ‘hanging’ son. 


Out of the corner of my eye, I see my ‘bloodhound’ of a son’s look of joy. It is quickly replaced by a mix of disappointment and confusion. The former is most likely because Teddy and Ems are with Justin; we share confusion as to the other guest.


“Justin! Over here!” He calls smiling, it drops off his face when I sit next to him, he scowls when Justin sits opposite instead of asking me to move.


“Here Ems, sit this side.” I order as I rise. Michael tries to move out but Ems is too quick then  begins to read the menu. 


“Emmett, could you move? I’m…”


“No.” Emmett retorts without lowering the menu. “Move along and  make room for Teddy.” Emmett’s wriggling forces Michael to comply. “Thank you. He’s hanging, we all are. You know how he gets. He needs something solid to lean on. Ergo you both can’t sit against the wall. Besides, he will run you over to get to the bathroom, and he will need to use the bathroom. We wouldn't want you getting hurt, would we?”


“Anyway...” I stand next to Ted and help him place the water he was fetching. “...shouldn’t you open that store that Justin bought for you?”


“Ma, Justin’s dad has died. I’m being there for him like a best friend should.”


“Oh are you now? Such a shame you couldn't find the same time when his mother was dying; was it under a rock in the Bermuda Triangle?”


“Justin understood why I couldn’t be there.” Michael explains looking at Justin, whose hood is up and eyes are closed. “Justin, Justin, wake up!” 


“Huh...what? Food?” He peers around the table.


I snicker as I grab the coffee pot then almost drop it when a God stumbles into view. “Oh Lord, please let him be straight, lost, and happy to pay in kind!” I plead adjusting my wig. “Hi, honey, you okay?” 


He stares at me for a few seconds. “You’re Debs. Vic said to expect me, I’m…”


“Oh fuck!” I grumble. “I’ll be right with…”


“Brian, back here! Follow the sound of my voice.” The woman calls out. I can imagine his smile is making many pants tighten, eyes follow his saunter to join her. “Debs, can you be quick with the coffee? I don’t suppose you have guava juice at…”


“Guava juice? Well isn’t that a trip.” I head behind the counter. “I do, a large one?”


“Please. With ice and a slice of lime.” Brian mumbles, sitting next to her. He frowns when I bring over two glasses.


“For the littlest looking hobo trying to power through his hangover.” I nod at Justin, who’s retreated back inside his hood.


Brian’s smile widens as he peers. “I see…” He pushes a glass back towards me. “...he’ll like it better with ice and a slice. He can have mine for now.” 


“That’s kind of you.” Emmett grins. “Justin, sweetie, your juice from a God is here.” He coos; slowly his eyes open. “To your left.”


“It's juice of the Gods, Emmett.” Michael snipes.


“You have your words. I have mine.” Ems bites back. “Brian, if you could please?”


“Justin, put out your hand.” Brian orders. What happens next is comically painful, because in throwing back his hood and turning quickly, Justin cricks his neck...loudly. “Crap! You okay?!”


“Ooooh no. Ow.” He whimpers as he tries to stop the pain. 


“Brian, help him. You know what to do!” Daphne demands, pushing him out. He takes her seat, but fails to remove Justin’s hand as he tightens his grip. “Jus, let him do it. He’s got masterful fingers.”


“No.” Justin grinds out.


“He resets my shoulder, and you know what I’m like with that. Advil, codeine and weed before I even let you breathe near it. He’s so gentle.” 


“Promise?” Justin pleads.


“I promise.” Brian returns as he sits. “Where exactly, just guide me.” The room is silent apart from the sighs of longing from everyone else as he massages away the pain. “Better?”


“Much; thank you .”


“Welcome. Can I have a straw, please, Debs?” I get him one, he drops it in Justin’s glass, then holds it up. “Drink.” Three minutes later, the glass is empty and Justin is looking much happier, then embarrassed as his stomach gurgles. “I agree, we should eat. May I…”


“Leave it to me. I know just what everyone needs.” I declare heading to the hatch.


DAPHNE


I’m desperate to get Ems or Ted alone so that I can find out what the deal is with Michael. I tried to find out from Justin, but a ‘no’ when he’s hanging is best listened to. As well as that, I’m curious about the frostiness between Michael and Debs. 


“Excuse me, Ted, Emmett, I need the…” Michael begins, only to be cut off when Justin’s phone rings. “...that’s Sidney isn’t it? For God sake, it’s Saturday. This is our time! He has to give you a break at the weekend, why don’t you tell him that?”


“Excuse me please, Brian, I need to take this, it’s about my show next week.”


“Do you want more juice?” He asks as he stands.


“Yes thanks. Exactly how ever it was that you got it. It was delicious.” He beams before hurrying out, phone pressed to his ear.


“He really must stop him from calling him at these times.” Michael continues to moan. “I need the bathroom, Ted, Emmett, move please!” 


“He must be truly desperate…” Emmett rolls his eyes as they remain standing. “...he said please.”


“Do you think she’ll mind if I get more juice?” Brian, ever the gent, queries looking at the empty counter. 


“No she won’t.” A distinguished man replies. “Let me help you. I take it everyone wants coffee too?” We all nod. “Hi, you’re Daphne, right? I’m Vic.” I take his hand with a smile. “We need to talk game plans.”


“Yes we do.” I chuckle, when Brian shakes his head at our plotting he grimaces. “There’s a pharmacy across the road. Go get some Advil.” I order. “Emmett had the last one from Debs.” 


“Good idea.” Brian slowly and gingerly makes his way out the door.


“What the hell did you two do to him?” Vick chuckles then frowns. “Maybe I should get it.” 


“He’ll be fine. He’s extra careful when hungover. And this way I get to find out what the beef is between the bio and the hazard.” I reply, watching the corridor for its return. “Dang too late! Do something I don’t want him next to me!” Vic quickly sits and I heave a sigh of relief.


“Sit down Michael! Food’s almost ready!” Debs calls out; when he doesn’t she comes out and shoves him back into his seat. “I said sit. Boys join him.” Emmett sits so close that Michael is almost pushed through the wall. 


“Curious minds want to know, how did you know, Michael?”


“Daphne is it? How did I know what?” He scowls at the window. “Is he still talking to Sidney?” 


“Looks like he’s just finished.” Emmett retorts. “But seems to be waiting for someone.” Now we’re all looking. Brian has joined him, with a bottle of water. I see Michael’s eyes widen as Justin takes it and, I assume, the Advil with a dazzling smile. They are out there for a few more minutes. “Waiting for it to kick in I guess. Ah, Debs, you saviour!” 


“Let me go and tell him the food is here before…”


“I’ll tell them. I’m nearer.” Vic interjects; Michael sinks sulkily back down.


They’re not long, and I make sure that I’m opposite Michael.


“Debs, please not…” Justin begins to protest when she puts down his plate.


“Do you want a soft boiled egg?” She taps the table with a long red fingernail.


“No.” He goes pale and sweaty. “Carry on.”


“So, Debs, what’s the store you mentioned earlier; got the impression that Justin seems to have wasted money on it?”


“Oh, don’t get me talking about that! I’m wasting my breath with it. So who are you, and where do you fit in, you gorgeous girl?”


“I’m Daphne, his best friend, and…”


DEBS


“Excuse me, I’m his best friend!” Michael carps. “I’ve been there for him all the…”


“Michael, I have a hangover and very little..” Justin interrupts. 


“Hangover, how come? You empty the mini bar?” He grins. “You should’ve said, I would’ve joined you.”


“Oh god!” Justin groans running to the bathroom. Brian goes to the counter before heading to the hatch; then disappearing from view. I look to see what he’s up to; he’s rinsed out the glasses and putting in fresh ice.


Michael was watching for Justin’s return with a smile, but that disappears when he turns back to Daphne. “Where did you drag him, so we can avoid it in the future?”


“All you will get is that he was out with me, his true and best friend.” Daphne picks up her water. “For future reference, so you’re not confused; a best friend is someone who is discussed by the best friendee at every given opportunity…” She looks over her glass at him.


“I know that! And…”


“...and when he could’ve invited you, he didn’t. The name of the guy that constantly fell from his lips last night, wasn’t yours. I woke up at his place, you didn’t. A smart person would consider himself replaced, but you don’t, do you?”


“Oh we like, right Teddy?” Emmett grins and Ted nods. “We’re definitely adopting, I shall let Sidney know.”


“I’ll go see if he’s okay.” Vic gruffs.


“It’s alright, false alarm.” Justin declares. “Oh. Where’d Brian go?”


“He’s getting your juices. Such a gent.” I smile as he brings them out on a tray. “Give me that, you sit and eat. Unless you have a problem with what’s on your plate?”


“No, Ma’am. I mean Debs.” He hurriedly corrects himself whilst Vic snickers.


“Tattletale!” I josh at him. “Want coffee?”


“Oh, please, Sis, and a bacon sandwich.” He grabs a chair and sits next to Ted. “People, eat whilst it's hot,”


Daphne takes a handful of Brian’s fries; dividing them between her and Justin’s plate. She doesn’t leave him with much, so I call for another portion. Soon I have three happy fry eating beauties. “It’s his guilty pleasure.” Daphne beams and Brian blushes. “I keep telling him to give into pleasure. He also loves, and I mean loves pork chops; you know, the really fatty ones. Restricts himself, the fool. Don’t know why, there’s nothing of him!”


“Debs does the best pork chops!” Justin exclaims.


“I do. I know, I’ll come around to yours tomorrow, Justin. We all will. I’ll do pork chops and fries - mine are so much better than here. What do you say?” Michael’s eyes light up, time to snuff that out. “I don’t mean you, obviously!”


“Ma, I…”


“No.”


“What’s the issue here? He’s your son, why is he not welcome?” Daphne drawls.


“Because, Jennifer was my best friend; he treated her as if she was taking up Justin’s time unnecessarily.” I hold up my hand. “I’m sorry, Justin, but he did, and until he has made amends to my satisfaction, he is not welcome where I am. I’ll drop it off for...”


“No, we’ll come to you, is that okay?” Justin replies before dabbing his mouth with a napkin. 


“Justin…” Michael quavers.


“She’s right, you did do that.”


“You never said anything.”


“And you’re his best friend? Shudder to think what you’d be like as an enemy.” Daphne snarks.


“And you never answered her question.” Emmett turns to him. “How did you know that was Sidney?”


“I recognised the ring tone. Obviously as he ringshim enough.” Michael retorts before turning to Justin. “I’m sorry you thought I was mean to you and your mom. I was just busy setting up…”


“Your store. You said. Not good enough. You hurt me. You hurt us. Debs, what time tomorrow? Vic, can you pick Brian and Daph up?”


“Uh yes. Sure no problem.” Vic stammers. We’re both shocked as Justin has never said anything like that to Michael. He’s always brushed it aside; what’s changed?


“Thanks.” Justin nods at Brian.


“Any time.” Brian replies.


“Do you want some more juice?” 


“I’ll get them.” He replies. “I’m nearer.”


“I’ll get them and more fries.” Justin asserts.


“Fine.” Brian puts two in his mouth whilst watching Justin walk away.


JUST OVER AN HOUR LATER


VIC


The booth is empty. Emmett, Ted and Justin have gone back to Ted’s to get some more sleep. Daphne and Brian took a cab to the hotel to do some work. I’m at the counter, waiting for Debs so I can drop her off. When she joins me, she looks very pleased. “What brought that on?”


“We’ve been saying it for years. The three of us did. Seems he needed to hear it from the lips of a 6 foot 2 God. She would be so happy!” 


“What? What did Brian say?” I want to shake her as she dawdles doing up her coat. “Debs!”


“That’s what you get for not telling me how gorgeous he is!” She laughs. “Now, before you strangle me. Justin was bitching to him about Michael; said he wasn’t in the mood for him. When he asked why he was there, Justin couldn’t answer…”


“And…”


“So Brian told him, if he wants to stop Michael from crossing boundaries, he has to set them.”


I nod and smile as I lead her out, knowing that Ronald would be very pleased too!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you.