- Text Size +

CHAPTER 6 - MORE REVELATIONS FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE


GEORGE’S OFFICE - EARLY EVENING


GEORGE


For the last ten minutes, she's been grinding her teeth and checking her phone. We’re waiting for Brian and Justin. They’re in the building, but in separate locations. Right now, Justin is in the bathroom, and Brian is with Ted. 


The door opening causes her scowl to deepen.


“Hello all!” A young woman beams. “Who’s George?”


“I am and you are?” I ask, extending my hand.


“Daphne. I’m Brian’s assistant, and…”

 

“Are you looking for Brian?” Lindsay sneers; Daphne shakes her head then sits down. “Why are you here then?”

 

“Because he asked me to be.” Daphne states taking out an iPad, phone and a box. When she opens it, a sweet smell scents the room. “Anybody want one? They’re from Sugarfina.” I get up to inspect the contents. “Gelato inspired.” 


“Oh I love gelato!” I bat my lashes.


“Go for it, I've got another box at the hotel.” She grins heading to the coffee station. Lindsay looks peevish as she puts three mugs on a tray, then a pot, creamer and sugar. She retakes her seat placing a mug on either side of her. “He won’t be long.”


“I’m not comfortable with you being present during a family discussion.” Lindsay states. “This should’ve been approved with me first!”


“You’d need to speak to him, because I’m not leaving until he says so.” Daphne returns coldy, holding Lindsey's gaze. 


“I don’t need to speak to him. He knows how I feel about this, so you need to leave…”

 

“He’s my brother...” Daphne leans back and sips her coffee.

 

“What kind of wishful thinking is that? I know his mother; you’re the last person she would have as a daughter.” 


“Lindsay!” Brian’s icy tones strafe across the room. “Apologise immediately.” 


“Brian, I will not! You know how I feel about this…”


“I didn’t ask her to come, but…”


“You lied to me!” She spits at Daphne. “Look what she’s done!”


“She’s done?!” Brian explodes. 

 

“Brian…” Lindsay takes a deep breath. “...let’s not discuss this in front of the staff...”

 

“Staff?! How dare you?!” A vein is pulsing in his cheek and he’s white with fury. “Not only do you know nothing about her, for this Daphne is not staff!”


“What’s going on?” Justin has to squeeze into the room. “What’s happened?” He takes Brian’s chin. “Look at me. What’s happened?”


“She...Lindsay was insulting to Jennifer, and…”


“Jennifer?” I frown, I quickly get in front of Justin. “Lindsay made a disparaging remark about Daphne’s presence.”


“She did? What did you say sister?” Justin fumes.


“Forget her and her crappy apology. I know how much Mom loved me. Let’s just get to the reason we’re here.” Daphne declares. “Jay, let Brian sit between us, that way we can both hold him back should she flap her trap again.”

 

As they take their seats they keep Lindsay in their crosshairs. She should count her lucky stars that looks don’t kill, because if they did, we’d never find her body!

 

LINDSAY 


I can’t believe Brian! I rise, gathering my things. “I’m going back to my hotel. Brian, when you have ceased peacocking and being hysterical, we will discuss...”


“Do you not see how fucked off he is?!” Justin snaps. “Christ, how long has she been such a ballsack?!” 


“Ballsack!” Brian sniggers looking at Justin. “Time for me to take my own advice, right?” He raises his mug. “Will this take long? She's not needed, is she?”


“Actually, she is, in order to apprise her attorneys of what she’s fighting against…”


“Fighting against?” Brian bites his knuckle and breathes deep. “What does that mean?”


“In respect of Ronald's final bequests, she has to be here, it’s a condition.” Uncle George declares. “Sit down, Lindsay. I shall make this quick.” I press the intercom and call for Ted. 


“Weren’t those two just in discussion?” I bite out.

 

“Yes. However, this concerns them.” Uncle George gestures at Brian and Justin, who look puzzled. “Ted, if you could please?”

 

“What were you and Ted talking about before, Brian? Clearly not whatever this is!” I demand; his gaze and silence are chilling. This is Daphne’s fault! If she had been clear, then I would not be in this predicament. 


TED


“Judging by the tension and shouting, I won’t dawdle!” I declare as I sit down and switch on the video. “This is a two part bequest. The first is this house…”

 

 

“...which is yet to be named. The beneficiary is Brian…”


“What?!” Brian gapes. “Are you sure?!”


“Quite sure.” I smile. “Do you recognise it?”


“Of course, I saw it during my internship with him years ago. I said I would buy it when I made my first…”


“And you never did.” George interrupts gently. “Like he knew you wouldn’t. You kept ploughing the money back into the business, so he got it for you. But let Ted finish before you ask any more questions.”


“Thanks George. So the house is yours, but only one one condition: you make it a home.”


“A home? You mean move here? I couldn’t do that, my…”

 

“Absolutely not!” Lindsay bellows coming out of her shock. “This is absurd! Brian is based in New York, his whole life is there!”

 

“Be quiet!” George snaps. “Ted before you continue, Lindsay, any more interruptions will prove costly.”


“So to the second part of the bequest. The shares in Kinnetic that you gave to Ronald…” I will Lindsay to say something but she doesn’t, pity. “...which now equal 48%, they go to Justin. That makes him the second largest shareholder. He could also be the answer to that house.”


“Huh? How?” Brian frowns, whilst Daphne starts to smile. 


“Well…” I loosen my tie a bit. “...Justin’s lease is due for renewal. You need a base, he needs a place. A potential win-win situation.”


“Excuse me, Ted, before you continue, may I check something?” Daphne asks.


“Of course, what is it?” I smile back.


“Does that come with a garden?”


“Yes, a very large one at the back. Plus, there’s the grounds after the bridle path.”

 

“Bridle path?” Brian gapes. “What bridle path? What grounds? There was nothing like that when I last saw it.”

 

“Excellent, then they will have plenty of places to run, although they do need naming. Justin, are you with us?”


“Wh...what?” Justin stammers coming out of his stupor. “Daph, what…”

 

“Do something with that Ted?” She hands me her phone; I bite back my cooing. “Watch.” She whispers; by the time she sits down, Brian awwing and smiling at the screen. “They need somewhere to run off steam, don’t they?”

 

 

“When did you get them, Daph, you never said a word! Why haven’t you named them?!” He shoves her shoulder.


“They’re not mine. Those cuties are Justin’s.” She beams. 


“Yours?” Brian turns to him. “Gorgeous, so why haven’t you named them? How old are they? Love dogs, but those are my favourite pooches.”


“Mom got them for me, to celebrate my first series sale. She was…” He trails off.


“I see.” Brian squeezes his hand. “There’s no rush, as long as they come when you click your tongue then it’s fine.”


My phone buzzes; I marvel at George’s technological dexterity...did he call Justin gorgeous or the dogs?! I hide my smile behind my hand whilst clearing my throat. 

 

“So, you two would need to discuss the…”

 

“There is nothing for them to discuss!” Lindsay explodes, leaping to her feet. “This charlatan will return the shares to Brian. Not only does he have no right being in the company when I’m not; he sure as hell is not going to be living there!”


“Are they boys?” Brian asks, before nudging a stunned Justin. “Those two, are they boys?”


“Uh, yes, why?”


“I’d love to name them, if you’d let me. She won’t let me have dogs in New York.”


“In that case, I insist that you do.” Justin grins, it widens at Lindsay hiss and Daphne’s giggle.


“Brian, didn’t you hear what I just said?!” She starts to advance.


“Listen, Frightmare...” Daphne slowly stands. “...unless your arrogance has a mean left hook, back the fuck up!”

 

“Lindsay…” Brian puts a hand on Daphne’s arm. “...I won’t fire her for defending herself if you come closer.”

 

She sways to a halt, gulping like a landed fish. “I…”


“Sit down both of you.” Brian clips out whilst tugging on Daphne’s sleeve. “George, is there any way we can have something stronger than coffee?” 


“Yes. Champagne, alright Daphne?”


“Daphne? Daphne?! You’re more concerned with her well being than mine?!” 


“He is, you numbskulling ballsack! I don’t throw booze!” Daphne lifts her mug to emphasise her point. Lindsay looks at Brian who points to her seat. She retreats in silence. “Large, please.”


JUSTIN


Oh dear God, him being mad as all get out is the sexiest thing I’ve ever seen!


BRIAN


We wait for the champagne to be poured. Lindsay doesn’t get any; the look from George kills her protest.

 

“You okay?” Daph whispers, whilst I nod I know I’m not.

 

I can feel the guilt bubbling up; my Mother’s sharp tone telling me to apologise to my dearest friend, confidant and her daughter immediately. How dare I speak to her in such a way, considering all she’s done!  But she’s not done it; well, she has, because I’ve allowed her to. I don’t know why I felt the need to defend Jennifer. I peek at Justin, he’s reading the papers Ted brought over. When I see ‘Kinnetic’ I lean over. “Mind if I read that over your shoulder?”


“Of course not. It’s about the shares. Wow, I can’t believe it…”

 

“What?”

 

“Dad said he’d get his partner to sponsor one of my shows, that partner was you.”


“Really?” I’m stunned. “I remember Ronald mentioning an art show some years back. I said to him to do what he wanted. It was his money.” We flick through the pages in silence; I can feel Lindsey's glare boring into my soul. I ignore her and my mother!


“Gents, why don’t you two discuss this afterwards? There’s a bit more to come.”


“Sorry Ted. Of course, continue.” I take the papers and go to put them in my case. “This alright?”


“Sure.” Justin smiles whilst topping up our glasses.


Okay, why is Daphne smiling like that?


“As well as the house for Brian and the shares to Justin, there’s something for Daphne.”

 

“Me?!” Daph splutters. 

 

“Yes, you.” Ted chuckles. “Ronald always admired your fortitude and restraint in the face of certain people.” He puts up another picture; silencing us once more. “This is a token of their esteem, and…”



“That’s my grandmother’s!” Lindsay exclaims.


“It’s now Daphne’s. She insisted he to pass it onto someone worthy of it, someone with fighting spirit, character and, above all, someone selfless. You’re not, and I doubt you ever will be, that person.”


“That is it! I’ve never been so insulted in my life!”

 

“Get out more” Justin snaps.

 

Lindsay storms to the door and wrenches it open. “I’m going back to New York! And…”


“$50,000 says you’ll go to the hotel and prepare a suitably grovelling letter of apology!” 


“Uncle George!”


“I can always make it seventy.” He sips his champagne. “A letter to each of them, starting with Brian. And take a cab.”


“Yes, Uncle George.” She mutters before closing the door quietly behind her.


“Now that she’s gone, I think we should order some sushi and sake!” George grins.


“Deal and now who does that go to really?” Daphne nods at the screen. “It can’t be me.”

 

“It is you. Here.” George approaches her with a box; her hand trembles as she opens it. It’s even more beautiful in the flesh. “It’s insured. Would you like me to have it biked over to your hotel?” We turn to the door as Lindsay comes back in. “What do you want?”

 

“I left my phone.” She declares returning to her seat and checking under the table. “I hope to see you later, Brian.” 


“You won’t. I fully intend to have him all to myself.” Daphne sneers. “Then there’s Justin’s need for him. I see them working long, hard and deep into the night. I’ll see you out.” 


“I can make my own…”


“Eighty.” George declares. “Let her see you out or its a hundred.”


A grinning Daphne returns with more champagne. “Actually, George, can you send this to another address? I don’t trust her one bit!”


“Me neither.” Justin nods. “Send it to mine to arrive tomorrow. You can pick it up then.”


“Perfect!” Daphne scrolls through her phone. “So, sushi from...”


“Nakama.” Justin declares, leaning over to check her phone. My eyes are drawn to the sliver of skin between his top and waistband, I have to pick up my glass to keep my hands to myself...what is wrong with me?! “Let me do that, I know what’s good.”

 

“I bet you do.” I whisper into my glass. 

 

JUSTIN


I heard that!


TED


“So whilst we’re waiting for the food, what about the house?” I open the champagne. “I can speak to Blake…”


“Why is there a Blake in this scenario?” Daphne scowls.


“Because he’s been in charge of staging the house. He’s got an excellent eye…” Her scowl deepens. “...after all, he’s been my boyfriend for the last five years.” She breaks into a huge grin of relief. “And his boys, Ben and Drew, can help Justin move whenever he’s ready. He’s moving in, isn’t he, Brian?”


All eyes turn to him. He raises his glass. “Sunday?”


“What about Sunday?” Justin frowns.


“You can move in from Sunday.” 


“Are you serious?!” Justin and Daphne gasp.


“Yeah. Seeing Linday reminded me of your best friend and his visits. He can’t come around if you don’t live there anymore, can he? Besides, Duke and Prince are going to grow fast, whippets do, and I suspect your garden is very small.”


“Duke and Prince? I like those names.” Justin clinks his glass.

 

I look down at my buzzing phone; again it’s George...not as much as they like each other!!!! 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.