- Text Size +

CHAPTER 7 - THE MEETING OF FOOLS, RENAMING THE HOUNDS AND KEEPING SCHTUM


LINDSEY'S SUITE - LUNCHTIME NEXT DAY


LINDSAY


I cried myself to sleep; my eyes and throat are so sore and dry. I check my cell, nothing! Deciding to eat in my room, I call reception. As usual, they take forever to pick up. “This is Lindsay Peterson, I would like some food delivered to my room.” 


“I’m sorry, Miss Peterson, but the kitchen is closed. All guests were…”


“Yes I know. What does this have to do with one of your staff finding a Japanese restaurant, getting me the menu, picking up my order, and bringing it to my room?” 


“Freedom of choice!” The woman snaps and hangs up. I redial, but it goes to voicemail.


“How the fuck dare they?!” I yell, then whimper at the pain that causes.


For the next ten minutes, I’m repeatedly sent to voicemail. Grabbing my coat, I decide to confront these upstarts. When I arrive, there are a few people ahead of me. I feel that the moment the receptionist sees me she starts to be overly helpful!


Just as I’m about to be seen, a courier arrives with an urgent package; just as I’m about to explode, I hear who it’s for!


“Daphne Chanders is out at present.” The reception states. I edge closer so that I can hear better, this has to be my bracelet!  


“That’s okay I’ve been told to have it delivered to her or a representative.”


“I can take it for her!” I declare, stepping forward. “I shall be seeing her shortly.” My smile reaches my eyes when deep down all I want to do is stab both the receptionist and Daphne in theirs. 


“Really, Miss Peterson, that would be most kind of you.” The receptionist replies before taking out a camera. “If you could sign then we’ll take a picture of you with the package.” I do as she asks; knowing when I return to my room, I will carefully unbox it so I can wear it before she does! How stupid of them to send it like this! “Now Miss Peterson, what can I do for you?” 


“I called earlier; I’m sure it wasn’t you I was speaking to…” I widen my smile, tucking the parcel under my arm. “...but I need someone to go and collect a food order from a restaurant…”


“Which one is it?”


“I’ve not ordered it yet. It has to be Japanese; it must serve soft shell crab, eel, sashimi and fries.” 


“Fries?” She repeats. 


“Yes, fries. So could that be sourced in the next half an hour as I’m rather hungry?” I start to walk away when someone calls my name. It’s Darryl, the useless bellhop. “Is there a problem?” 


“Yes, the restaurants around here are eat-in. Although there is one Japanese nearby, it’s very traditional and so exclusive that it won’t go off-menu.” He replies, his smile widening as I blush. “However, there is a steakhouse opposite, which I know does a crab dish, but no eel. I shall call you a taxi to take…”


“No you won’t! There’s Vic, he can take me!” I stare at Darryl for a few seconds. “Well, get him and explain what is happening!”


“Vic! May I talk to you please?” Although Vic looks unfazed, I know he’s pissed that I spotted him. Now that there’s no protective Brian, it's time for some retribution! “I’m not sure if you overheard,  but…”


“I did. So, Miss Peterson, where is it you wish to go?”


“I’ll decide in the car, obviously!” I snap. “You are going to be at my beck and call for a while; wait whilst I get my things!” 


“Oh, how I enjoyed that!” I gloat as I take my time heading back to my room.


FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


VIC


I refuse to let her get to me; I’ve dealt with bigger, better and prettier. When she comes out of the lift, I silently lead her to the car and hold open the door. 


“Miss Peterson, please check out the menus at Koro-tai-kai and The Flame and the Grill, it will take us about twenty minutes to get there.” She snatches the tablet and slams the door. Making sure the partition is down, I place a call. “Could you put me through to Ted Schmidt or George Schickle, please, it’s Vic Grassi…” A quick look in the mirror sees her go from  mewlish to mortified licketysplit. “...hi, Ted, as is standard protocol, just letting you know that I’ve been ordered by George’s niece to take her to a restaurant, so won’t be returning the car for a while. Could you also let George...” 


“...where’s she booked you for?” He demands.


“Koro-tai-kai or The Flame and The Grill…”


“Why? She should’ve taken a cab or walked.” Ted grumbles. “Has she asked you to wait too?”


“Since she said I'm at her beck and call, I presume so...” I drip ‘sorrow’.


“Okay, I’ll tell him, which I’m sure he’ll be absolutely fine with. See you tomorrow, Vic, don’t come in before 1000. Get lots of rest, you know how busy the next few days are going to be.”


“Thanks, Ted. Good afternoon.” I shoot the partition up, grinning as it’s a black out screen. She doesn’t take long. “Yes, Miss Peterson?”


“On reflection, I’m more tired than hungry, so can we go back to the hotel, please?” As I turn to the window so I can bask in my smile, I see some potential payback and pray. When he spots me, he looks delighted crossing the road quickly. “Vic?”


“So sorry, Miss Peterson. Yes, that’s fine, I’ll…” I’m predictably interrupted by a rat-a-tat-tat on the window. “...I’m sorry, that's my nephew. I’ll come back and pick…”


“Oh no, there’s no need for that, we can easily share. Also please lower the partition.” I do so, her smile is so toothsome and sickly that I’m blinded and nauseated. “Could you unlock the door so I can let him in?”


“Of course, that’s very kind of you to share.” 


“My pleasure.” She opens the door and slides back quickly as Michael gets in huffing. “Hello again.”


“Oh hi. Lindsay right? Excuse me a minute. Uncle Vic, did you drop Justin off this morning at his hotel?” 


“That’s confidential, Michael, you know that...”


“Nonsense, we’re all friends here, well I’m his best friend and she’s his sister, and...oh what’s this?” He waves a box at me before examining it. “You must have dropped him off somewhere if you’ve got a parcel for that misery guts!” Her laugh is cold and nasty. “Have you met that buttinksi, Daphne, Lindsay...can I call you Lindsay?”


“As long as I can call you Michael. Sadly I deal with her every day. She works for Brian as his gatekeeper.”


And so begins the decimation of Daphne’s character by two of the most, and this is bad coming from a gay man, limp-wristed bilious berks I’ve had the misfortune to meet. The more they destroy, carp and moan, the tighter my grip on the steering wheel gets. Then he happens to mention Brian.


“He’s only just met him and he’s already changed. Never seen the like.” Michael bitches.


“Forgive me for asking, but is Justin gay?”


“Yes, so’s Emmett. In fact, we three are. Emmett has his sights on Brian, but…”


“Brian’s not gay! And even if he was, that effete nincompoop would not be his type, it would be more you, actually…”


“I know. I told him that he wasn’t gay. I even said that you two are a couple to soften the blow to his sizable ego.” I’m almost breaking the steering wheel, as I know that’s not what he said! 


“We almost are.” Lindsay simpers. “You know, I’m hungry now, fancy something to eat?” 


“Sure. Where’d you have in mind?” 


“Well you being the native would be best placed to suggest somewhere.”


“Oh, I know, there’s this great place near Justin’s place.” He enthuses. “We can go there, then I can go and see Justin.” 


“Sounds good, but how far is it? I don’t want to abuse your Uncle’s good nature by having him ferry us all over the place, and…”


“It’s his job, he doesn’t mind.” Michael pats her paw reassuringly.


“I’ve heard from Ted that the rest of his week is going to be extremely busy, so he needs to rest. Let’s get him to drop us off on the corner and we can take a cab. That way we can take our time…”


“Oh, alright. Uncle Vic, pull over now.” Michael orders. With my heart soaring and belly raging, I do so. “See you later. Come on, Lindsay! Taxi!” He bellows, and in less than a minute they’re gone. 


I break a nail snatching my phone to call Justin, such is my fury, when I spot the package that started their bitching. “Hey, Justin, it’s Vic. Word of warning: Michael is heading your way, and he’s got Lindsay with him…” I hold the phone away as he lets out a litany of curses. “...I have more. Is Daph with you, or can you get hold of her? She is, may I speak to her?” I get out and grab the parcel, cringing at the smudges that I know are from Michael’s, inky, from the many comics he reads, fingers. “Hi, Daph, how are you young-uns doing? Good, good. So guess what I’ve just heard…” 


DINER - FORTY MINUTES LATER


DEBS


I hang up, frowning just as a grinning Vic comes in. “Coffee? Can you call Michael, please? He just phoned, seemed a little…”


“Panicked?” He smirks as he sits in the booth, I nod and join him with two mugs and a plate of pastries. “Good.” 


“These are your favourites, just out of the oven…” I pull them away. “...why was he panicking?”


“He and Lindsay, she’s Brian’s wannabe bride, were bitching about Daphne. Lindsay took a package meant for Daph, which she thinks is a diamond bracelet that should be hers. She doesn’t have the number for the car, Michael never wrote it down, so the next person to contact would be you.”


“And you’ve told me never to give it out.” I snicker whilst he chuckles. I grin at Emmett’s cheery hello; we get him up to speed. By the time he’s finished telling me about Lindsay, I want to administer a sound birching after making her eat lots of soap! 


“Do you know where Brian ended up, Ems?” Vic asks as I send Michael to voicemail again. 


“With Ted and Blake; they’re taking him to his new house later.” An evil grin starts to bloom across his face as he pulls out his phone. “Daph, honey, how are you? Am with Vic and Debs, they’ve caught me up. Can you...sorry, you’re going to do what?! Why?! Oh, okay, I am chilled and blissed. Now what’s the plan today then, wait a minute, what did Justin say?! Uh...well, that’s um original, why are they...okay, I’ll let them know!”


“Let us know what!” I demand, handing him a napkin to wipe off his tears of laughter.


“Ems!” Vic growls, jostling him.


“Br...Brian renamed the dogs! Sake got his creative juices flowing...oh, dear God, instead of the quaint and classic Duke and Prince, they’re now called Cumulus and Reemus…” He waves away our interruptions. “...Daph said he was staring at Justin’s ass and got inspired!” I hand Vic a napkin to sort out his coffee nose and streaming eyes.


“Hey Debs!” Kiki calls as she comes in. “Just saw Michael screaming into his cell, rushing down the street with some scared looking blonde.”


“You never saw us!” Vic yells as we run out back.


JUSTIN’S HOUSE - TEN MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


DAPHNE


I can tell by Brian’s silence on the other end and Justin’s face, they're not on board with my idea. “Have either of you ever known me to approach a keister-kicking plan without all bases being covered?” 


“That’s true.”  Brian chuckles. “Oh, thanks, Blake. Wait, need to have at least a sip or three…” I smile at his sigh and lip smacking. “Okay, go again.”


“Have told Vic to drop the package back at the hotel, but not till this evening, so that gives them hours and hours of panic. When you two finally contact your best friends to apologise oh-so-sincerely for your terrible treatment of them, you say you will do anything to make it up to them, even getting a tracker app on your phone so they can find you at any time.” Justin starts to laugh. “Tell him the rest then!” 


“But the person who will have our phones is Daph.” 


“Oh, that is beautiful!” Brian cackles; it sounds both evil and full of joy. “I can understand why for me because we’ve already got our set up, but why for Michael?”


“Something Ems asked at the diner, which Michael didn’t answer; it wasn’t until we were at Bloom that it reminded me. When Michael called, I realised he has the same ringtone as Sidney. Meaning he’s got to Justin’s phone before.”


“Pisspot!” Brian snaps. “He must have changed it, knowing you would pick up without hesitation. You’re moving Saturday night. That is a gross invasion of privacy!” 


“How the hell didn’t I notice?!” Justin laments furiously.


“We’ve noticed now.” Brian soothes. “Let’s get the plans in place, and you the hell out of sodom and gomorrah, which also has Michael living as Mr Justin Taylor.”


“What?!” Justin squeaks, looking sickened.


“Didn’t you notice his face when the not marrying condition was announced? He reminded me of Lindsay whenever I would have to jog when she came into heat.”


“Urgh!” I wince. “Okay, you two get yourselves presentable and we’ll meet at Ted’s, say in half an hour or so?”


“Yes Ma’am!” They chorus; soon I hear the shower and Justin’s singing.


As I wash up the dishes, I think about the clause and decide to call George. Ten minutes later, I’m dancing around the room. George made it up but we’re keeping that to ourselves!


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thx