- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8 - THE B’s BE...BOYS, BRITIN, BLAKE, BRACELETS AND BABYLON


DINER - FIVE MINUTES LATER


KIKI


Just as I get myself together, the door flies open. “Where’s Ma?!” Michael demands breathlessly. The blonde sinks into a seat whilst rummaging in her purse. I'm not sure what the looks she’s casting at Michael are about, but whatever it is he’s done, he looks apologetic, for a change. “Do you think he’d have it?”


“He surely must, they became fast friends on sight.”


“Oh good!” He sits opposite her. “Although he should’ve made sure we took everything when we left him.”


“That’s true. Once I get the number from Brian, we’ll get him to drop it back at the hotel. Actually, scrap that…” I don't like her smile. “…let me send him a text instead.” 


“Why?” Michael frowns; then looks gleeful. “Oh, I gotcha, what are you going to say?” 


“Ask him to call Vic.” She crows. “Embellish a bit, make it seem like he is at fault but is embarrassed. That is…”


“Not going to work.” Whilst Michael’s face falls, she flinches at Ted’s voice. “You know how Vic is the go-to-person on LA and beyond, everyone has the utmost confidence in him; something they don't have in you, Michael. So whatever blame you’re trying to lay at his door is not going to be believed. I'm seeing George shortly, I may advise him of you two being in cahoots to besmirch Vic’s name. Whilst there is nothing he can do to you, I suspect he will make sure Lindsay pays for your duplicity.” She puts her phone away. “I'm glad we’ve cleared up that misunderstanding. Now then, wasn’t the food not to your liking?”


“The food? Oh I see, I changed my mind, and…”


“Excuse me for a moment.” Ted looks at his phone. “Speak of the devil. Hello, Vic, how…are you alright?” His eyes widen and he rubs his temple. “Vic, Vic, please stop apologising, this is not your fault. It’s a fact of life that these things happen. Was there anything in the vehicle that was yours, which we would need to replace? Yes, Vic, I said replace. Nothing? Oh, good, then…oh I see. That was kind of her. No, no, I will speak to George first. Yes, of course. Now do not worry. Go get some rest, we will send the other car.”


“Everything alright, Ted?” I ask.


“No, not at all. Can you do me a double shot espresso, this is going to be a long day.” He stares into the distance for a spell. “Right, first George, and..”


“What about me?” George asks as he comes in. “Hello, Kiki! How are…Lindsay and Michael, what are you two doing here?”


“Michael was showing me the sights, Uncle George, and…”


“Why would he show you around here? It's not exactly your scene, is it?” 


“I thought it would be nice for Lindsay to get the know the areas that Justin frequents, since…”


“Excuse me, George, I must speak to you about a theft from the car.” Ted interrupts; they both look stunned, George not so much. “It was broken into when Vic returned home. Thankfully, nothing was taken that belonged to him, but there was a package for Daphne that Lindsay took collection of at the hotel, and…”


“Why would you take the package, Lindsay? As has become evident, you and Daphne are not…oh no, the bracelet!” 


“Exactly!” Ted exclaims, turning to Lindsay. “Well, why did you take it?”


“I knew I would be seeing…” Lindsay is pink and sweaty.


“So a few hours after she is bequeathed a bracelet, which you were furious about; you take delivery of it and the car is broken into? Rather convenient, don’t you think?!” Ted thunders. 


“What are you implying?! Surely you don’t think I set this up?!” Lindsay cries.


“Ted! That’s not true, it was pure fluke that…”


“You happened to be in the car? After you both complained about her, she then dismissed Vic; you knew he was going home and she knew what was in it!”


“So what possible defence could you have for this, Michael?!” George barks out; then looks at his watch. “Okay, what is going to happen is that you’re going to replace it…”


“Replace the bracelet? You're not serious, Uncle George!” 


“Yes, let’s go! You too, Michael!” 


“Me, why am I going?!”


“Because it’s either pay towards the replacement and Daphne never gets to hear of it; or I tell her what's happened and she comes with you two to replace it. Who do you think would be better company?” They stand. “Thought so; now Michael, since you are such a maven of Liberty Avenue, go and hail the cab! We will join you shortly, I need the facilities; nothing is getting in the way of that bracelet being replaced!”


Two minutes later, I'm waiting for Ted to crumble, but he’s holding firm. “Ted, please, elaborate…they hightailed it, and..” 

 

His smile is beautiful and smug. “Hang on!” He chuckles as he dials. “Have to keep Vic in the loop. He and Debs will be back in about ten minutes. Ems has to help Justin move!”

 

OUTSIDE JUSTIN’S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


DAPHNE


The two well built hunks who had earlier gotten out of the poshest removal van I’ve ever seen, which wouldn't look out of place in Upper Manhattan or maybe Williamsburg, are making light work of the move. 


I’ve decided to introduce myself, primarily because one of them is perving, quite frankly, over Justin’s butt, and that bait is for another hook, thank you!


“Before you meet the face, which butt lights your fire?” I smile brightly at the ‘pervert’, then dissolve into mush and relief at the bashful grin and point. “I see. Ems, can I borrow you a minute?!” 


“What can I do for you, dear one?” He asks as he approaches, dusting himself down. “I really need to call Blake to…oh, for crying out loud!” He gripes, peering at the massive pull he’s just caused to his sweater. “Why did I wear this? Give me a sec, Daph, this needs to…”


“Can I help?” The pervert asks; we gape at him. “Ben. So can I?” He doesn't wait for an answer, just takes the pulled part of the sweater, and in a couple of minutes has fixed it perfectly. “There, no-one will ever know.” 


“He gets that look every time.” His friend laughs. “Keep telling him to do voice over work. I’m Drew, who are you?”


My gaydar pings for both, more’s the pity. “He’s Emmett, and…”


“You are?” He smiles warmly, before giving me a look I feel in my soul! “As mentioned, I’m Drew.”


“Daphne.” I have to stop myself from doing the flirty flick thing with my hair.


“Guys! Move me now, drool over each other later, unless you want Michael and Lindsay to be here to help!” Justin’s amused exasperation has the desired effect; seconds after we’re actually helping, instead of watching, them to get him out of ‘Sodom and Gomorrah’ action a cab pulls up. “Crap, too fucking late!” He grumbles. However, when Brian gets out he looks both delighted and relieved. “Oh, I could just kiss you!” 


“Because?” Brian queries with a matching grin; I stop Emmett from dancing.


“We thought you were Michael and Lindsay. Hold a second; Cumulus, Remus, here boys!” They pelt towards us, but shyly skitter to a halt. “Aww come on, these are nice people, no Mikey.” Justin coos.


“Mind if I try?” Brian asks, already on his haunches. “Come on darlings, come to Brian, will give you smooches.” He holds out his hand, and after cursory snuffling, they declare him their next best friend and leap into his lap. “Oh you are so gorgeous!” He cries, kissing their heads and nuzzling their necks.


“Ice caps are melting.” Justin murmurs, sporting an expression that could assist in the meltification.


“Seriously, take them away or I will!” He sighs as he stands, but their whimpering has him on his knees again.


“Why don’t you take them to Debbie’s, or...oh, hey, Ted!” Ems grins as a beaming Ted gets out of a cab. “And in casual clothing too. Are you many-handing us?”


“Indeed!” He beams. “Ben and Drew, have you met everyone?” 


“They were drooling at each other when I reminded them that I’m supposed to be running away from my wannabe husband!”

 

“Oh, you’re very safe from Michael, and you from Lindsay, Brian. George has them well contained. Let me explain…”

 

JUSTIN

 

We’ve been chuckling about what has happened as we packed up the house. Daphne and Drew are still debating whether or not she should keep the second bracelet: she says on principal she shouldn't, he says principal can piss off and she should! Ben and Emmett have been casting glances at each other, but no overt flirting, which, for those who know these two, is highly unusual!

 

We’ve just got the boys to get into the van. We should be mad at the complete lack of help from Brian, however, he has been puppy-sitting or they’ve been Brian-sitting. I don’t care who has been looking after who, they’re in deep smit.


“Let me go first, you trust me don’t you? I promise it’s nice and safe.” He tells them taking the first step. “Now you.” Cumulus and Reemus look at each other, then Reemus follows, they wait for Cumulus to join them. I grab my phone and film it. My heart skips a beat when he looks over his shoulder with a dazzling smile. I decide to make it my mission to kiss him all over...his face, his body, anywhere! I just want to kiss him!

 

“I’m working on it!” Daph whispers, as I go beet red at how easy she can read me. “Trust me, he will be yours!”

 

 

KAY JEWELERS ROSS MALL DRIVE - SAME TIME


GEORGE


I discreetly check my watch; for the last hour they have been looking at the lower end of the market. I’ve said nothing, just sat, nodded and smiled.


“Well, Uncle George, what do you think?” Lindsay beckons me closer, I wince at the blinding tacky, gaudy baubles they’ve lined up as a replacement. “Being a connoisseur of jewellery myself, I think that…”

 

“We should go to Tiffany’s! An excellent idea! You know, for one minute, I thought you were trying to fob Daphne off with something less than the value of her original bracelet. So glad you proved me wrong.” Their desolation is hilarious. “After you.” I wave them to the door. “Thank you for your help, perhaps another day.” I call to the assistant, who waves from underneath the counter having had to duck down as he’s laughing so much.

 

THE NEW HOUSE - THIRTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


We’re all looking at Ted; who has not stopped grinning or humming since he joined us. “I can explain…”


“This is not the house you showed us.” Daphne points out.

 

“I know. Now first, what do you think?” He asks me; I gaze in wonder at it, this is beyond my wildest dreams. “Beautiful, isn’t he? Everything I mentioned is here,, it’s just the house that’s different? Debs, Blake-Honey, we’re here!”

 

Debs comes out carrying fries followed by Blake-Honey wheeling a hostess trolley, ladened with glasses and champagne. He kisses Ted, then the cheeks of Justin, Emmett and Daph before hugging me, it feels nice. “Hi, I’m Blake-Honey, Teddy-Bear’s boyfriend. I’m your architect knight in shining armour and this is Britin.” 

 

“Britin.” We echo.

 

“Yes.” He pops the champagne and presses a glass into mine and Justin’s hands. “Boys, open up the rest, then I will explain.” Five minutes later, we’re waiting for him to finish chewing the fries. “Sorry, love truffle fries! So, Brian, Teddy-Bear was telling me about Lindsay and her behaviour, and the more he told me, the more I worried. To be on the safe side, I sent him that picture and made him promise to say it was yours..."

 

“You did? Why?”

 

“Not that we’re unhappy about that.” Justin snickers, I can’t help the grin nor the relief I feel.


“Because she took a picture of it, like he thought she would.” Ted nibbles on a fry.


“When? Why would she do that?” Daph frowns. “Brian would’ve caved to her demands and brought her here eventually.” I cringe and nod. “So why that ingenious idea, Blake, oh is just Blake okay? 


“Yes, only my Teddy-Bear calls me Blake-Honey.”


“Fine.” She chuckles briefly. “So how do you know Lindsay?”


He shudders. “Her Brownstone. It was about 18 months after a suitable mourning period following her dear Mother’s death. She had to get it brought up to her much higher standard, and...”


“No! That’s her?!” Justin gasps. “When did she take a photo of it?!” I rub his shoulder; he takes deep breaths. “Jesus, does she know any fucking boundaries?!”


“No she doesn’t!” Daph growls. “Mind’s made up, keeping both!” 


“Good!” Drew beams.


“And we’re not putting trackers on your phones yet, keep that in reserve.” Ems declares, pacing. “I can’t, but can, believe she’s that person!”


“Hi. Confused here, what’s Lindsay done?” I scowl dreading the answer. “I was building up Kinnetic, so working all the…”


“Frigging fucking hours that God sends instead of helping me to make this a family home for us!” Blake states, and I go cold. “You only heard that once, I heard it every day for eight months, sometimes in my sleep!”


“You were the designer that…”

 

“Restyled and decorated her Brownstone, at Nancy’s recommendation? Yes, longest year ever, I could’ve saved us a lot of time if she had asked to see my portfolio or googled me, you know, like a normal person! But no, she said she trusts her Mother’s word. It should’ve taken six months, but she kept changing her mind. However, it was when she tried to sneakily find out where I lived and showed no remorse when caught that I blackened her name with some friends of mine. When she was confronted, she said it was so that she could get a feel of my aesthetic; besides as the customer she has certain rights!” He breathes deeply. “The frigging nerve of her!”

 

“Blake, I’m sorry you went through this. If I had known, I would’ve put a stop to it.” He pats my arm. “I’m so furious with her! But the other house, where’s that?”


“Photoshopsville in Downtown My Imagination.” He smiles. “Now come in, come in, come see your beautiful home!”


TIFFANY’S & CO., ROSS PARK MALL - SAME TIME


LINDSAY


I take in the bracelets that Uncle George and the assistant have placed in front of us. I grit my teeth at the low muttering and sighing emanating from Michael. If he, having touched it last, had picked up the package, we wouldn’t be in this pissing predicament! On the plus side, however, I’ve seen a wonderful watch that I think would look great on Brian.


“Are we going to be much longer, George? I’ve got to get back to my store, you see.”


“Oh, I had no idea you were in such a rush.” He smiles. “So, which is it to be?”


“This one.” I declare, picking it up. 


“But that’s not quite what the bracelet looked like. She’s seen it, remember?” Uncle George reaches for the one that I was coveting and hands it to the assistant. “Can you wrap this please?”


“Of course; whoever gets this is very lucky.” The assistant smiles. “This is the last one…”


“In store? “ I ask. “So, you can order another one then?”


“No I can't, I'm sorry. What I mean is, this is the last of this range. It’s being archived.” I fume with frustration and disappointment. “How will you be paying, Sir?”


“I won’t be, these two will be splitting it between them.” 


GEORGE


I look through the back window as the two sulksters watch me depart. I’m particularly pleased that Michael is out of pocket by $1500. No, it’s not much, but it’s a start in my quest to get every cent that my nephew spent on him back! I lean through the partition. “So, Vic, want to tell me exactly how much I will be fining that little madam the next time I see her, and where we’re going?”


“Sure thing. As for where, we're going to Britin.”


“Britin, what's that?”


“Let me pull over and you sit up front. There’s been developments, another player entered the game.” I nod and he titters. “By the way, what was in the package, will you give it back to her now or wait for a bit? Have you got the rest of the paperwork?”


“Yes to the paperwork. And a set of the office napkin rings and I’ll give it to her, Oh good grief, what a mess they made of it didn’t they?” I scowl at the muckiness, knowing how pristine it was when we sent it.

 

“Great, I can’t wait to see their faces when you tell them!”

 

BRITIN - THREE HOURS LATER


DINING ROOM


BRIAN


We’re all stuffed and all bar Ted, Vic and George are stunned. For Ronald continues to be a revelation. “Wow, I mean just wow, look at it!” Justin shows me his screen. “I’ve always wanted to go there but was so busy with everything.” I squeeze his hand. “She kept saying I should go and dance away my stresses…so I will, we’re going!”


“Yes!” Debs cheers as she starts to clear. “But I warn you, it’s very full on.”


“Even better, so Puppy Meister, you up for it?” He beams.


I sit back thoughtfully. “Yeah, I’m game. However, may I clarify a couple of things; Ronald owned Babylon, a gay nightclub, the diner, and all of the shops and land from Point State to Shadyside, which now goes to Justin?”


“Not quite.” George grins. “Yes, this all goes to Justin, thus making him, on paper, a millionaire. But there’s the matter of Ronald’s partner, he owns 10% of it all.”


“And who’s that?” Daph asks, helping Debs clear.


“Me.” George replies, chortling at our amazement. “Let me explain, the 10% of all of that is Babylon. I’ve had him for years, he’s doing great. However, now I won't have the time to focus on him. I will be running the businesses, and…”


“Are you going to tell Lindsay about this?” I ask as a plan begins to formulate.


“Yes. I’ve got to get those letters of apology and advise her about her new fine, why?”


“So this will be another thing she’ll be presenting to her attorney, right?”


“Yes.” George's eyes light up and Ted raises his glass. 


“So would you sell that 10% to, say, me?” Justin grins.


“Oh hell no, he’s mine!” I exclaim; everyone is incredulous. “Knowing her as I do, that photo will only work for so long. Also, once she finds out about Liberty Avenue, she’ll stay here until she gets her due. In the meantime, Babylon will be a really good place for me to hide!”


“You have a deal Brian. However, Justin, there's no need for pouting. Let me show you a little something, that guarantees, if you’re willing, you will be shitting in her cereal.” George smirks, sliding his phone to him. I whistle when I see the watch. “Nice isn't it…its on hold for me. Lindsay happened to mention to Michael that she was going to come back and buy it for her very best friend…”


“Can we call that the first month’s rent or the deposit?” Justin bats his eyes.

 

“Yes we can!” I declare and clink his glass.

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thx