- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 14 - PUTTING HIM IN THE SPOTLIGHT AND THEM IN THEIR SUPPOSED PLACE

 

DINER - TWO HOURS LATER

 

DEBS

 

Gooch and Punani have those slappable mugs as they bask in their best friends' attention. I admired Daph's restraint when she was almost shoved into the counter as Lindsay got between her and Drew, and as for Michael's flirting with Ben, if it wasn't so stomach churning, I'd laugh! 

 

"Right, food is soon to be dished up!" I holler. 

 

"Oh, Debs, what's this whipped lemonade I heard of?" Punani smooths her hair behind her ear then strokes her neck. I almost gag.

 

"Yes, Ma, what is it?"

 

"This." Kiki brings them in. "There are three flavours, not telling yet."

 

"That looks like a milkshake." Punani frowns. "I don't like them."

 

"Neither do me and Jus, you know that." 

 

"Which is why you have a beer." I retort, putting it on the table. "And this is no ordinary milkshake, so let him make up his own mind. Lindsay, will you join him in the beer?"

 

"I'll have a beer, well unless Kiki, dear, can you get some champagne from around here?"

 

"No, dear, I can't." Kiki grits out before turning on a grin for our Littlest Hobo. "Well, taste it then!"

 

He takes a glass, scrutinises, then sips the tiniest of sips. "Justin." George rolls his eyes fondly. "Taste more than that!" 

 

"Have the right to spit." He demands, reminding me so much of Jen.

 

"Yes, yes." I chuckle.

 

He takes a mouthful, holds it, blinks, then swallows. "Oh, that is so good!" He wriggles and swirls his straw vigorously, then sucks hard. I look at Vic, who's watching Brian. He's lip biting. "That's guava, oh yeah, line another one of those up!" 

 

"Cool, the lighter pink's raspberry, and the yellow is lemon. Suck up, people!" I order, smirking at what's to come. "And these, vodka chasers, go with the milkshakes!"  

 

They exchange peevish looks. Michael subtly shakes his head, he knows better to mix his drinks in front of us. "Fuck me, who's growling?!" A sheepish Brian goes red. "Kiki, let's get them fed!"

 

LINDSAY

 

Debs and Kiki have now joined us, which means that Michael and I have to get our own beers whilst everyone else is served. It was when we were getting our second that Michael saw the vodka on the side, however, Flick got to it before we could. Now it's with George. 

 

"Miss Peterson!" Melanie shouts from the door. "I've had enough of you!" She stalks up to the counter and slaps a folder on the counter. "Find someone else to deal with your shit and settle our bill within thirty days!"

 

"Good!" I snap. "If anybody is owed money, it's me for putting up with your harassment!"

 

"Within thirty days or face consequences!" She growls. "I feel so sorry for anybody having to deal with an exasperating entitled eejit like you!" 

 

"You've had this coming!" I shout and throw my beer at her. Seconds later, I'm sliding to the floor, clutching my face while Melanie's climbing over the counter hurling threats and insults! 

 

GEORGE

 

I don't condone violence, however, that felt so good to watch! Vic and Brian have Melanie by the door. Michael, the brave soul, comes from under the counter, and between us, we help Lindsay up. Pulling her hand away, I gasp. Her eye is blackening. 

 

"Someone call the police!" She shrieks. "I'll have her licence and her liberty, she'll never work in law again!" 

 

"You attacked her first!" Kiki spits. "Then it was self-defence, since you were reaching for Michael's glass!" It shatters as she drops it. "So, if anybody is in trouble, it is you!" 

 

"Everyone quiet!" Justin shouts. "Mel, are you okay, apart from a sore fist and being soaking wet?"

 

"Fist is not sore, I've punched harder jelly! You can let me go, guys." Lindsay cringes as she approaches. "I won't press charges unless our bill is not settled, and you now have ten days."

 

"I will settle this, Mel, in the next hour. You go and get yourself cleaned up. I apologise for all that has happened." She smiles at him, Lindsay wisely keeps quiet. "Vic, can you take her home?" 

 

"Sure George. Wait, that's cashmere, isn't it?" He points at her suit, then looks at George.

 

"We'll replace that too. But before you go, Mel, what are you doing on Friday night?"

 

"Dealing with worthy causes." She glares at Lindsay, who shrinks further into Michael's embrace. 

 

"You're joining us at Babylon. You and Daphne will have a hootenanny of a time, please say you'll come?!" I plead. After a few seconds, she nods. "Great, swap numbers with her, and you'll meet us there." 

 

FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

LINDSAY 

 

My eye is no longer throbbing, but it looks repulsive. I can't believe how Uncle George took her side, now I have to suffer her company on Friday too, unless I persuade Brian against going entirely. Yes, that's what I'll do. 

 

"Uncle George, may I have a word, please?"

 

"Yes, come on, my dear, let's get that eye seen too." I lean on him, finally some bloody comfort! He puts me in the chair in the office and finds the first aid kit. "I can't see any cuts or scratches, just a bruise. You poor darling." I shiver tearfully. "But at least we've avoided the unpleasant scandal of you being arrested." I mask my flabbergast with the compress and my compact. "Now here's what's going to happen. Whilst I'm going to settle the bill, you'll give me that money back."

 

"Of course, Uncle George." I simper, having no intention of doing so. "I don't know what came over me."

 

"It's in the past, let's concentrate on the future. When Ronald's estate is finally settled, all monies will be taken from your inheritance." 

 

I lower the compact. "My inheritance?"

 

"Yes, the fines and this bill have to come from somewhere, and that's it."

 

"But, but you said that there would be no more fines." I gasp.

 

"And there won't be. You just need to settle the previous ones, can't believe you racked up $160,000, and in such a short time too. I'll leave you to finish the clean-up. Will let Ted know how much to deduct."

 

I glare at the closed door. "How is any of this fair?! This is another fuck up of Brian's to fix. He should've corrected my mistake. Michael's been more of a best friend than him!"

 

TEN MINUTES LATER

 

TED

 

Because of Gooch trying to sit on Justin's face, we couldn't whoop and holler at George's announcement of how much she owes. It was Brian's idea to see how honest she would be, especially if she thought that she'd get it back, so if she said anything over the $80K she'd been slapped with, he said to round up at will. Mel's bill was a fortuitous coincidence, and at only $20K, her petard has been hoisted to the tune of a quarter mil! I can't wait for her reaction to where the fine is going!

 

"I got Ma to keep your food warm. How's the eye, Lindz?" Michael's doing his caring shitshow, exactly like he was with Jennifer. I wonder what he wants from his new pal! "You're still coming to Babylon, right?"

 

"Once I've had a good rest and found a decent MUA, you won't be able to tell. And yes, of course, I am, it will be nice to see how the other side parties."

 

"They party hard!" Daph giggles. "Although some need to stay away from cocktails!"

 

"Will you stop?!" Justin protests. "It was the drinks before the cocktails that did me over." 

 

"So what are the sleeping arrangements, Brian?" She perches and smoulders, much like a witch over her cauldron.

 

"You get ready at the hotel and meet us at Babylon," Brian replies. Her jaw drops. "Whilst we were working, Daphne had the great idea to use the house as a satellite office for Kinnetik." 

 

"What's wrong with the office in the hotel?"

 

"It's a waste of money to use that when I've got a house, and Justin doesn't mind sharing."

 

Her mind races to find a reason why this is not a good idea, then her bestie nudges her. "Why not come and help me in the store, Lindsay, it will give us an opportunity to get to know each other better. You know, since we're going to be family?" 

 

"I would need to think about it." She's lucky he doesn't pick up on nuances!

 

"Because now Brian and I are partners, I would need an office too, so where better than with him at Justin's house?"

 

And as I thought, here he comes!

 

BLAKE

 

"That's a grand idea, Gooch!" Brian enthuses. "So will you do it, Punani? It will give you something to do whilst I'm working." He reaches for her hand. "I worry about you being alone in a strange city."

 

What the frick fracking hell is he doing is, I imagine, what everyone else is internally screaming!

 

"In that case, yes, Michael, I'll do it."

 

"You promise, I mean it, please give me your word. It will ease my mind." 

 

"I cross my heart and hope to die." Her tinkling laugh coupled with his gurning is making me bilious!

 

"Great! Now we just need to discuss space. Don't we, Emmett?" Brian continues.

 

"Yes, yes, we do. What are you two doing on Monday?" He asks the gormless guppies. I risk surreptitious glances, looks like Emmett and Brian seem to be the only ones in the know. "You can come and pick a suitable spot."

 

"That's great, really good. Daphne, will we three go to lunch, get to know each other better, since we're starting anew?" 

 

"Yes, we shall." She smirks. Ah, she knows too - ooh wait till I get Teddy alone, he's lip twitching, so he's definitely on the inside! 

 

"Actually, whilst we're all here, can we discuss the Asteridge Dinner?" George looks around the booth. "Debs, I've got your ticket, of course. Now Flick, are you sure I can't persuade you to persuade Vic to come? I know it's not quite your thing, but with everyone here assembled coming, maybe for one night it could be?" She rolls her eyes then nods. "Great, so Brian, how are you going to handle this? Will you follow the format of the first season show?"

 

"I'm not sure, it's something that Justin and I would need to discuss. It might not be right for the evening."

 

MICHAEL

 

"When are we shopping for that, Jus? Daphne, let's talk diaries, you can manage mine now that Brian and I are partners." I'm enjoying this so much, time she was put in her just-a-PA place! 

 

"In a couple of weeks, after the first show. As for the dinner, I shall speak to Claudia - she's yet to pick the ones she wants me to show - then we can talk about logistics."

 

"The ones she wants, what do you mean?" I frown. "Are you going to be working that evening?"

 

"Not exactly, the dinner is in his honour." Emmett smirks.

 

"Oh, Justin, that's wonderful! Is there anything that I can help you with?!" Lindsay smiles. I'm glad she's warming up to him a bit! It's going to be hard for me to act as a go-between when we're married, especially since I've decided that the best way to stop his association with Sidney is to move to New York.

 

"And Daphne will be far too busy to be doing any diary management for you, Michael, but she's come up with a rather ingenious idea. She's going to get Manning to come over and help you both."

 

Lindsay is beaming, so whoever this Manning person is, it's someone that's better than Daphne. 

 

OFFICE, LINDSEY'S BROWNSTONE - LATE EVENING

 

MANNING

 

I reread the residency contract, it's there clear as day - as is her signature - if the Brownstone is unoccupied for a period of six weeks or more, then the mortgage becomes payable by Lindsay, and I know for a fact that she can't afford the payments of a quarter mil a month! So she will have to sell up - and having spoken to a fucked off to the nth degree now ex-attorney, he's got a buyer lined up for a nice quick sale!

 

Now, all I have to do is keep her in Pittsburgh, and nothing will give me greater pleasure!