- Text Size +

A Woman Scorned

 


Chapter 6


 

Melanie sat on the last stool at the counter of the Liberty Diner.  She was feeling depressed, frustrated, disappointed but most of all angry with herself.  Thanksgiving was over, the next set of holidays were looming and she had nothing to show for it.  No job and nowhere to live except for the Plaza, at the mercy and whim of one Brian fucking Kinney.  Mel growled into her coffee. 


 


The lunch rush was waning as she slowly sipped her coffee.  Mel looked around at the patrons, most of whom were men.  Nothing much had changed about the Liberty Diner.  Oh, Lacy had renovated the place so it no longer looked or smelled like a greasy dive.  She had also significantly improved the menu, adding many of Emmett’s treats to the dessert menu.  What hadn’t changed were the men that came in to eat, cruise, strut their stuff, hook up, and also drown their sorrows in Lacy’s excellent coffee.  One big difference, the men and women were all young and beautiful.  Something Melanie knew she no longer was.


 


The bell on the door jingled as someone came in.


 


“Hi, Ted!  Why don’t you take that booth over there,” Lacy called out to her friend and building mate.  Over the years the residents of the Tremont building had grown very close.  Their Thanksgiving potluck dinner went over very well.


 


“Hi, Lacy, thanks,” said the accountant as he unwrapped his thick scarf from around his neck.  As he was about to sit he noticed Mel at the counter.  “Melanie?  Is that you?  I heard you were in town,” Ted said trying for subtle.  Of course he knew, he was authorizing her bills at the Plaza.


 


“Hi, Teddy,” Mel greeted her old friend.


 


“Why don’t you join me.  I don’t like eating alone and those counter seats have become uncomfortable the older I get,” Ted confessed.


 


“Um, sure.  Thanks, Ted,” Mel said hesitantly.


 


“What’s good today, Lace?” Ted asked as Lacy came over to hand them menus.


 


“Everything,” she said confidently, “but I do recommend the turkey meatloaf made with real giblet gravy or if you’ve had enough of turkey for a while the tuna salad is the pink plate special today.”  Just then the cook banged hard on the bell several times.  “Keep your fucking shirt on,” Lacy shouted making Mel and Ted laugh out loud.


 


“You sound just like Debbie,” Ted commented.


 


“She did train me after all,” Lacy said with a big smile.  “And he was trained by the cook that used to work with Debbie.”  Lacy cocked her head toward the kitchen.  Both Ted and Mel looked up aghast.  “No worries, he’s actually a very well trained chef; he just pretends to be uncouth.”  Mel and Ted leaned over so they could take another look at the large man who was grinning evilly through the service window.


 


“Believe me, he’s harmless.  Now what can I get you?”  Lacy took the pencil from behind her ear then wrote down their orders.  “I’ll be back with your drinks,” she said with a smile as she went to put in their orders and pick up the plates the cook was ringing about.


 


“How long are you staying?” Ted ventured.  He had heard the rumors that Mel had come back for good but he had no intention of making any assumptions.


 


“I’m surprised the avenue isn’t buzzing about my return,” Mel said with a self-deprecating tone.


 


“No offense but we’re old news, Melanie.  No one cares about us anymore.”


 


“I’m sure some people are happy to see me back with my tail between my legs, so to speak.”  Melanie was sure Brian was doing a happy jig somewhere.


 


“Believe it or not, you have a great reputation.”  Mel raised her eyebrows.  “As a lawyer,” Ted assured her.  Mel snorted.


 


“Then why can’t I find a fucking job?” she muttered.


 


“What was that?”  Ted wasn’t sure he heard what he thought he heard.


 


“I said.  I.  Can’t.  Find.  A.  Fucking.  Job!” Mel slowly enunciated.  She wanted to shout but she was too embarrassed.  Ted looked gobsmacked as he sputtered into his soda.  “And to top it all off, I’m still homeless.  I hate that I’m living off Brian.  I keep thinking that any minute now he’ll show up at my hotel door gloating and ready to throw me out.”


 


“He wouldn’t do that, I swear,” Ted said gently as he reached over the table to pat Mel’s hand.  She looked so defeated.  “I can also promise you that no one is scheduled for that suite and even if they were, no one ever needs the whole thing.  You’re fine as long as you need it.”


 


“I bet Brian’s laughing his ass off.”


 


“No he isn’t.  I mean it Mel, he doesn’t hate you.  He never did.  I know you two never got along but that’s because...”


 


“You can say it.  I was jealous of him and Lindsay.  Of what they shared, of what they still share.”


 


“That was a very long time ago and so much has changed.”  Mel snorted.  “Melanie, I don’t understand, what do you mean that you can’t find a job?  You’re a highly qualified professional.  What about your old firm?  I thought they’d be jumping through hoops to have you back.”


 


Melanie shook her head as tears welled up in her eyes.


 


“Mel, I don’t mean to pry.”


 


“No, it’s not that.  I guess I burned too many bridges when I left to expect open arms when I got back.”


 


“They don’t want you?”


 


“Oh they’ll take me back all right, but not as a partner and at an entry level salary.”  Ted look shocked.


 


“But your experience, your...”


 


“Means nothing.  If I took their offer I wouldn’t be able to afford anywhere decent to live.  I don’t want much but I also don’t want to fear for my life when I come home late at night.  I also don’t want a house.  A house is for a family.  I wouldn’t mind a small one bedroom apartment in a stable secure building with quiet neighbors.”


 


Ted got a weird look on his face.


 


“What?” Mel asked, more than a little scared at the look on Ted’s face.  “Are you okay?  Please don’t tell me you’re having a heart attack, I don’t think I can take another disappointment.” 


 


Ted rolled his eyes.  “How quiet is quiet?”


 


“What?”


 


“How quiet is quiet?  The neighbors I mean?”


 


“What the hell kind of question is that?”


 


“Answer it, please.”


 


“I guess no rowdy teenagers or drunken rampages in the middle of the night.  You know, quiet and not nosy.  I hate it when everyone is meddling in my business.”  Mel made a disgusted face.


 


“So an occasional kettle drum would be okay?”


 


“Schmidt, what the fuck are you talking about?” Melanie asked sounding so much like Brian that Ted burst out into nervous giggles.


 


“Eat up, I think I can solve your problem and you can solve mine,” Ted said as he indicated the salad that Lacy placed in front of Mel.  Ted took out his phone.  “Do you have time to discuss that open position this afternoon?” Ted cryptically asked when his call was answered.  “Yes, I do.  Highly qualified and not unfamiliar with the business.  See you later.”


 


Ted snapped his phone shut then dove into his salad, wearing an ear to ear grin, looking like of all things a Cheshire cat.  Mel was more than a little worried.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Ted, what are we doing here?” Melanie asked as they pulled up to the Tremont building.


 


“I want to show you an apartment,” Ted replied as he parked his car and began to get out.


 


“Oh no, I refuse to live in HIS loft.  Just staying there that one time gave me the creeps.”  Mel shivered at the memory.  She had stayed there for a short time when she was helping Bobby with Richie’s adoption.  Just the thought of all the men that had stepped foot in the loft over the years was enough to turn her stomach.


 


“Melanie, I wouldn’t do that to you.  Besides, the loft belongs to Gus.”


 


“What?  But he’s just a boy.”  Melanie appeared shocked.


 


“Mel, he’s twenty-two and about to finish up his MBA.  He’s worked his ass off getting that degree and his art degree from PIFA.  Gus wants Kinnetik and he’s being groomed to take over.  And when he’s ready, the loft will be his too.”


 


“But...  You must think me an awful mother,” Melanie said sadly.  She turned away so that Ted wouldn’t see the tears in her eyes.  “I didn’t know.  I just didn’t know.”


 


Ted felt helpless as he handed her a hanky then gently turned Mel around.


 


“Things happen,” he said to her with all knowing eyes.  “All we can do is learn from the experience and try not to make the same mistakes twice.  Come with me, I have something to show you,” Ted said gently as he guided Melanie into the building.


 


“This is new,” Mel commented as they passed through the doors and into the small lobby.


 


“Brian had John update the alarm system and modernize the doors.  All state of the art.”


 


“I’m sure it is, knowing Brian,” Mel mumbled.


 


“Stairs?  It’s only one flight,” Ted asked as he opened the door to the stairs.


 


“Sure,” Mel replied as she followed.  They went up the short hike to the second floor.  “Is Emmett still on the first floor?”


 


“Yes.  He likes it because he doesn’t have far to go when he’s hauling groceries or his new creations.


 


“I bet.  And the girls are on three?”


 


“Nick and Hunter are on three.  Lacy and Katerina are there,” Ted replied as he pointed down the hall.  Mel nodded, the girls had been living together for at least three years.  “Here we are,” Ted pronounced.


 


“And where is here?” Mel asked as Ted took out a set of keys then opened the door.


 


“It doesn’t look like much.  John’s men are still working on it.  The former tenant had been here many years and made little improvements.  John’s decided to gut the walls, redo the wiring, put in ceiling fans and then refinish the hardwood floors,” Ted explained as they entered the one bedroom apartment.  “He’s also making a small alcove space that can be used as an office or guest room.”


 


“It’s lovely,” Mel exclaimed.  Ted gave her an incredulous look.  There were dangling wires everywhere, dust, pieces of sheet rock and various tools all over the place.  “I mean I can see the potential.”


 


“John was hoping to have it ready by now but he wants the job done right so he thinks by the first of the year.”


 


“That’s only a few weeks away,” Mel said as she slowly looked around.  She really could see a lot of potential.


 


“Melanie, it’s yours if you want it.  You’d be welcome here.”


 


“But Brian...”


 


“Brian leaves the management of this building up to me.  You’re family, Melanie.  You belong here,” Ted said calmly.


 


“I, I don’t know what to say.”


 


“Don’t say anything yet.  We have another appointment.”  Ted gently guided the slightly shell-shocked Melanie out of the apartment and then back out to his car.


 


 


*****


 


 


"Hi, Bree," Ashley said cheerfully as she sat down beside Bree in the lunchroom at school.


 


"Hi," Bree responded.  She was opening and closing her sandwich like she couldn't be sure what it was.


 


"Is something wrong with your lunch?" Ashley asked.


 


"I ... It's ... I don't feel much like eating," Bree said with a sigh.


 


"But ... you always feel like eating," Ashley said with a frown.


 


"Not today," Bree half groaned.


 


"Are you sick?"


 


"I don't know."  Bree pushed her sandwich away and laid her head down on the table.  The cool surface felt good against her face.


 


"Bree?" Ashley said, worry evident in her voice.  "Maybe you should go home."


 


"No."


 


"Why not ... if you're sick?"


 


"I don't want to go home."


 


"What do you want to do?"


 


"I ... don't know."


 


"Is this about Patrick and Brittany?" Ashley asked before taking a bite of her sandwich.


 


"I hate Brittany ... and I hate Patrick," Bree stated, but the second part lacked conviction.


 


"You know that's not true, Bree."


 


"I just hate everything ... including myself," Bree moaned.


 


"I'm going to the office to call your dads.  You need help," Ashley said pushing back her chair.


 


"No!" Bree cried grabbing Ashley's arm to prevent her from going anywhere.


 


"Bree, something's wrong.  You need to tell somebody."


 


"Nothing's really wrong," Bree stated trying to sound convincing.  "I just feel funny."


 


"But your dads could help."


 


"They'll just ask questions that I can't answer.  I don't want to talk to them."


 


"I really think you should," Ashley said as she sat back down and studied her friend's face.  "Bree, I'm just trying to help.  I think you should talk to someone."


 


"I'm talking to you," Bree said hopefully.


 


"But you're not telling me much," Ashley said forlornly.  She felt like she should do something to help her friend, but she had no idea what that might be.


 


Bree laid her head back on the table.  It did feel so nice and cool.  Ashley stared at her not knowing what to do.


 


"Hey, Bree, are you all right?" Patrick asked as he came into the cafeteria.  He had seen Bree with her head on the table as he passed in front of the cafeteria.


 


"I'm fine," Bree said standing up abruptly.  She grabbed the remnants of her lunch and dumped them in the garbage as she made a hasty retreat, getting out of there before anybody could ask her more questions.


 


"Is she okay ... really?" Patrick asked Ashley.


 


"I don't know," Ashley admitted.  "I think something's wrong."


 


"She's been acting so weird lately."


 


"Yeah," Ashley agreed not wanting to say too much. 


 


"Well, at least she talked to me ... a little bit," Patrick said with a wry look on his face.  He stared at the doorway through which Bree had just disappeared.


 


"I better get to class," Ashley said before she hurried away, leaving Patrick wondering why nobody seemed to want to talk to him anymore.


 


 


*****


 


 


“Hi, Patrick!” Brittany cooed as she saw the young man walking across the school cafeteria.  Patrick smiled but then quickly looked around just in case Hurricane Bree was storming.  He relaxed when he remembered that the younger kids already had their lunch and Bree had literally walked out on him.  He had gone back to his locker to get a book before returning to the lunchroom.  He also felt a little sad about how things were between him and Bree.  Patrick missed the closeness he and Bree shared.  He still wasn’t sure what he did to make Bree so angry but he suspected it had something to do with the pretty blond girl that was making a beeline toward him. 


 


Someone clapped him on the back, murmuring sounds of approval.  Patrick turned to see some of his teammates heading for a table.  The guys he hung out with all seemed to think Patrick had scored the winning goal or in his case, pitched a no hitter.


 


“So are you going to pick me up on the night of the dance?” Brittany purred in his ear as she slipped her arm around his, leading him away from his friends’ table to an empty table.  He could hear the high pitched giggle of her girlfriends in the background.  They were sitting at their own table at the other end of the lunchroom.


 


“My dads are going to be chaperones so I’m going to have to meet you here,” Patrick stated logically.  What he was going to say was, “Really?”  Apparently it slipped Brittany’s mind that they were only thirteen and he didn’t drive.  Patrick rolled his eyes at the absurdity of it all and was beginning to wish he had never asked the ditsy girl in the first place.


 


“Oh,” Brittany said with disappointment.  “So does that mean you’ll be here early?”


 


“I guess so.  I think they want all the chaperones here early for a meeting or something,” Patrick replied.  He had heard his dads talking about it.  They planned on an early family dinner, getting dressed then taking two cars just in case one of them had to stay late, someone else could take the kids home.  Patrick smirked.  His Uncle Justin had teased his Uncle Bri about needing the extra time to primp.  Brian had glared as the guys laughed.


 


“What’s so funny?” Brittany asked with narrowed eyes.


 


“Nothing,” Patrick said quickly, not willing to explain.


 


“Hmm,” Brittany snorted in a very unlady-like way.  “So all my girlfriends want to know what you’re wearing.  I told them that you have to wear a blue tuxedo," she said with a smug smile.


 


“A blue tuxedo?!” Patrick gasped.  “Why?”


 


“Because, silly, I’m wearing a navy blue dress with these beauuutiful crystals all sewn in,” she gushed as she described her dress to Patrick who really couldn’t have cared less but was too polite, so he plastered a look of interest on his face.  “We have to match!”


 


“We have to match,” he repeated.  “Um, I’ll let my dads know.  I think we already got my suit,” he carefully added.  He and his Dad already went shopping to one of the places that Brian recommended.  Patrick had been outfitted in a sleek rich black suit with navy shirt and black and navy striped tie.  The salesman at the store assured father and son that it was very appropriate for a holiday dance.  He modeled the ensemble for his uncle and received the Brian Kinney stamp of approval.  That’s all that mattered to Patrick!


 


Just then Chet entered the cafeteria, spotted Patrick and waved him over.  “Uh, I have to talk to Chet, we’re working on a project for lab,” Patrick explained hoping for a clean getaway.


 


“Oh, I understand,” Brittany said with some disappointment but she swore she wasn’t going to be clingy as she saw some of her girlfriends were with their boyfriends.  She knew that guys hated that.


 


“I’ll see you after school.  I’m taking the bus home today,” Patrick said hoping that would be good enough for her.


 


“Sure!” Brittany said all smiles.  She took a quick look around then planted a fast kiss to Patrick’s cheek.  She then quickly flounced away back to her friends.  A stunned Patrick then heard more loud giggles as he went to sit with Chet.


 

 

This wasn't going to end well, Patrick thought.