- Text Size +

A Woman Scorned



Chapter 8


  


“Who is this?”


“What the fuck do you mean, who is this?  You’ve forgotten all about me already?” Michael screeched into his phone.  He raised a lot of eyebrows on Liberty Avenue.


“Michael?  Is that you?”


“Of course it’s me, you asshole.  Who the fuck do you think it is?”


“A crazy person,” came a muffled response.


“What?!”


“Michael, this is John,” John said calmly.  He waited until that little factoid sunk into Michael’s brain. 


“John?  John?  Why the fuck are you answering Brian’s cell?”


“I’m not.  I’m answering his house phone.”  Michael stared at his phone for a second then shifted the screen around.  In his anger he had indeed hit the wrong button.


“Where is Brian and why are you answering his house phone?”


“Brian is in the kitchen.  And not that it’s any business of yours, we both have the same model house phone and it was ringing.  Now why are you screaming at me?”


“I’m not screaming at you,” Michael replied a little calmer.  “I was screaming at Brian.”


“Well that explains it,” John snarked.  “Michael, I’d love to continue this scintillating conversation but Brian and I are doing some maintenance repairs in the sun porch.  We’re knee deep in heating coils.  Goodbye, Michael.”


“Wait! I…”  When Michael realized he was speaking to dead air he snapped his phone shut and shoved it back into his pocket.  A chill ran up his spine and his hands were cold.  He had run out of the diner without his coat and gloves.  Michael, looking slightly defeated went back inside.


 


*****


 


“Who was on the phone?” Brian asked when he returned to the sun porch with two large mugs of steaming hot coffee.


“Telemarketer,” John replied as he turned the ringer off then tossed the phone onto the brass bed which they had pushed out of the way so that they could access the baseboard.


“I hate those,” Brian grumbled as he handed a mug to his brother then took a nice long sip out of his own mug.  The brothers savored their coffee for a quiet moment then got back to work.  Soon the brothers were cleaning up and returning the porch back to its usual pristine condition.


 


*****


 


“Michael, what did you do?” Ben hissed at his spouse.  Michael pushed Ben’s hips over so he could sit.


“Nothing,” Michael huffed.


“You told him, didn’t you,” Ben accused.


“No, he wasn’t home,” Michael lied then dug into his dinner before anyone else could question him.  Melanie glared at him but said nothing as she finished her salad.


 


*****


 


“Hey,” Justin greeted the guys as he walked into the porch.  “Dinner’s almost ready and mmm, it’s warmer in here already.”  Justin smiled proudly at the brothers Kinney.  He beamed a special smile towards Brian.  Not only did Brian look extremely sexy from his labors but Justin loved how the very alpha male in Brian took direction from John without question.  Brian had learned so much from John over the years that he now would chance ruining his manicure by breaking out his own tools to make simple repairs around their home.


“Oh Bri, Ted couldn’t get through to your phone so he called my cell.  He’s driving up tonight and would like an audience with you sometime tomorrow to talk over Kinnetik stuff,” Justin said with a smirk.  Brian made a royal gesture with the middle finger of his right hand just before he picked up his toolbox.  John and Justin laughed as they followed Brian into the kitchen where the rest of the family was waiting.


“Did Ted happen to mention which cottage he was going to stay in?” John asked as he washed his hands.  “The heating is at the minimum setting in each cottage; warm enough to prevent the pipes from freezing but a bit too cold to be comfortable.”


“Emmett’s,” Justin answered.  They got dinner on the table and were preparing to enjoy their meal.


“Brian, after dinner why don’t we walk over to turn up the heat and lay a fire?” John asked.  Brian nodded.


 


*****


 


“Patrick?”  There came a knock and a small plea at Patrick’s bedroom door.  Patrick felt his heart race as he pushed back from his computer desk to get the door.


“Hey,” he said with a gentle smile, pleased to see Bree not frowning at him for a change.


“Hey,” she replied in a tiny voice.  Her bottomless violet blue eyes were brimming with unshed tears.


“You wanna come in?” Patrick asked.  Bree nodded.  He stepped back to let the petite girl inside. 


“I’m sorry,” they both said at the same time.  Bree looked up into Patrick’s eyes then threw herself into his arms.


“I don’t know what I did to make you so angry at me,” he whispered as he caught her.  They landed in the middle of his bed with a bounce.  Bree said nothing but hugged her Patrick harder. 


“Are you still mad at me?” he asked.  Bree shook her head no.  Patrick let out a long sigh.  “I’m glad because I don’t like it when you’re mad at me.  I missed you.”


“I missed you too,” Bree whispered.


“So are you still my bestest friend?” 


“Yup!”


“Good.”  Patrick really wanted to ask Bree why she was so mad but at that moment it didn’t matter.  He had his best friend back and he was very grateful.  “Wanna play a video game with me?”


“Yay!” Bree said sounding almost normal.


“Come on,” he said as he tugged her up and off the bed.  He pulled another chair over to his desk for her then slipped one of Bree’s favorite games into his computer.  The competition was on and all seemed right in their world once more, for now.


 


***** 


 


Brian and John donned their warm coats and gloves to take the short walk down the lane toward Emmett’s dream cottage.  Out of nowhere Beau, Lady Lucie and Little Beau came running from the direction of the Wendy house.


“Isn’t it too cold out here for you guys?” Brian asked the canines in general.


“They are wearing fur,” John casually stated.


“It’s still too damn cold to be sleeping out here.”


“The Wendy house is well insulated but they’ve been sleeping in my side of the cottage,” John informed Brian.  “The pup’s been keeping Patrick company most nights.”


“As long as they both don’t get fleas, it’s fine by me,” Brian said.


“No one will be getting fleas.  Besides, M’ Lady over there has been spending her nights in Bree’s room.”


“I know.  I hear Bree pouring her little heart out to Lucie.  Apparently Lucie’s a good listener.”


“Brian, has Bree said anything to you or Justin about how she’s been feeling lately?”


“No.  I’ve been tempted to call the pediatrician and make an appointment,” Brian confessed.


“That’s not a bad idea.  But wait until after the dance.  Maybe she’s just nervous about it and once it’s over she’ll be back to her normal princess self,” John advised.


“Maybe,” Brian agreed.  At least he hoped so.  The men in the cottage had been walking on eggshells for so long now that they’d forgotten what normal was.


The guys let themselves into Emmett’s cottage and turned on a few lights.


“I’ll get the thermostat if you start a small fire,” John said and they each went their separate ways.  “It’ll warm up quick,” John said as he met Brian by the fireplace after he reset the thermostat and waited as the furnace engaged.


They stood side by side watching the fire catch.  John made sure everything was secure and the fire screen in place before they left to walk back up the lane.


“Brian, I didn’t want to say anything in front of the family but that call earlier was from Michael,” John said.


“Why was he calling you?”


“He wasn’t.  Apparently he was so angry that he hit the wrong button.  You know our house phones look the same.  I just automatically picked it up when it rang.  He was cursing up a storm.”


“I wonder what I did this time.”  Brian sighed.


“I know he’s your oldest friend but sometimes…”


“You can say it.  He’s an ass.  But I love him.”


“I know you do.  But the next time I hear him speak like that I’m going to rip him a new asshole,” John declared.


“Be my guest.  I just wonder what set him off.”


“Well, whatever it was.  I’m sure you’ll be hearing about it soon,” John commented.


“I’m sure I will,” Brian agreed.


They stood by Brian’s door looking up at the clear sky.  It was cold, cold enough for snow but none was predicted.


“I never tire of living here, Brian.  I love the home that we’ve created.  This lane is our community.”


“Even when Michael is here?” Brian asked with an arched brow. 


John chuckled.  “Even then,” he confirmed.  “This is a very special place, Brian.  And it would have never existed without you.”


“You did all the hard work.  You and your men.”


“But you had the vision,” John said as he clapped his brother on the back.


“And the money,” Brian snarked.


“That too,” John laughed.  “Let’s get inside before they send out a search party,” John wisely said.


“Good idea,” Brian agreed as he opened the door to let John in first.  “Come on, dogs!” Brian called out to Beau and his family.  Brian shook his head as all three beasts trotted happily into the cottage.


 


*****


 


Ted knocked on the front door then waited for a response.  It wasn’t a special occasion where guests were expected to walk right in so he felt a little funny entering the cottage unannounced.  He was about to knock again when the door opened to reveal Bree in her warm hoodie robe and fuzzy slippers holding grey bunny.


“Hi, Uncle Teddy!” she greeted the man with a big smile then gave Ted a hug.


“Good morning, Miss Briana,” Ted said formally as he returned the hug.  “May I come in?”


“Of course you may,” Bree replied just as formally then giggled.  Ted smiled lovingly at the child.  He had gotten to know Bree quite well when she ‘worked’ at Kinnetik, and he looked forward to a long Kinnetik association as well as their personal one.


“Am I interrupting breakfast?” he asked as Bree took Ted’s hand to tug him into the kitchen.  The family was straggling in towards the table.  Brian was at the stove flipping pancakes, frying eggs and bacon.


“Schmidt!” Brian barked.


“Yes, Boss,” Ted automatically responded.


“Take your coat off and stay a while.  Help yourself to some coffee!”  Brian gestured to the pot.  “You know where everything is.”


“Thank you, Bri,” Ted said gratefully.  “It’s cold and windy out there.  And thank you for the fire last night.  Something must be wrong with the heater in my car.  I was frozen by the time I got here.”


“Maybe it’s time for you to invest in a newer model,” Bobby commented as he shuffled in and made a beeline for the coffeepot.


“Hmm, this is the right time of the year for car shopping,” Ted murmured.  “I can get a good deal on this year’s leftover models,” he stated happily.


“Always the accountant,” John commented with a smile.  He saluted Ted with his coffee mug.


“Always the cheapskate,” Brian mumbled.


“Be nice,” Justin admonished as he too shuffled into the kitchen just as the kettle was boiling. 


He was wearing his thickest ‘house’ socks.  Brian was the only one with bare feet, still rarely feeling the cold unless outside.  The family was very grateful that Brian was actually wearing clothing; they could overlook the bare feet.  The guys had seen enough of Brian’s assets over the years to last a lifetime; albeit still very fit and attractive assets.


“What do you have for me?” Brian said with an arched brow as he spied the folder that was used for very formal proposals.


“After breakfast?” Ted begged.  “And in private.” 


Brian sighed.  “I take it I’m not going to like this,” he said as he placed the last pancake on a large platter then walked it over to the table.


“Dada, whatever Uncle Teddy proposes deserves to be heard,” Bree said using her businesslike voice.


“Yes, dear,” Brian snarked making Justin smirk.


“She’s right, you know,” Bobby agreed.  Over the years Bobby had worked with Ted on several ventures.  He knew firsthand how knowledgeable Ted was and suspected Brian knew as well but enjoyed ignoring the fact.


“Brian, we’ll have a nice breakfast then after, you and Ted can go up to your office,” Justin said effectively putting his socked foot down.


Brian rolled his eyes.  Another “yes, dear” was heard then breakfast began in earnest.


 


***** 


 


“So am I destitute?” Brian asked as he closed his attic office door and gestured to Ted to take a seat.


“What?  No, of course not but our idea…”


“Our?”  The eyebrow went up again.


“My idea may not meet with your approval,” Ted began.


“Out with it, Schmidt, and from the beginning,” Brian demanded.


 


*****


 


“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian purred as Justin finished another masterpiece then hoisted it up to the rafters.  Now that the porch was comfortably warm, Justin was inspired.  There were several new pieces drying high above them.


“You’ve been busy,” Brian commented as he looked up.


“Yeah.  I had some ideas floating in my head but I was too cold to actually get them on canvas,” Justin said as he cleaned up his brushes and stowed away his precious paints.


“I’m sorry,” Brian said as he encircled the younger man in his arms.


“Why are you sorry?”  Justin turned in Brian’s arms to look up into the concerned hazel eyes.


“I should have realized it was too cold in here.  Not even Beau wanted to sleep in his corner,” Brian glanced at the oversized dog pillow.


“Brian, that’s silly.  I’m the one who works in here, I should have said something sooner.”


“I guess we’ve both been a little…”


“Preoccupied?”  Justin finished Brian’s sentence.


“Yeah.  Was it my imagination or was there a considerable reduction in the tension at breakfast?”


“No, it wasn’t your imagination.  Bree and Patrick were sitting next to each other and smiling.”


“I wonder what changed.”


“Whatever it was, let’s hope it stays that way.  I don’t think I can take much more of this.”


“Whatever ‘this’ is.”


“You still don’t have any idea what started the rift between Bree and Patrick?” Justin asked as he searched Brian’s eyes.


“I think it has to do with Patrick not asking Bree to the dance.”


“He’s three years older than her and a teen.  No teen is going to ask a tween to a dance,” Justin said logically.


“Yeah, well hell hath no fury,” Brian quoted badly.  “She’s still planning on going.”


“As far as I know nothing’s changed,” Justin said as he buried his face in Brian’s chest.  Brian dipped his head to nuzzle Justin’s neck.  “I’m sweaty.”  Justin smiled as Brian nipped and nibbled.


“Mmm, tasty too.  I think I have to make a closer inspection.”


“In the middle of the afternoon?”


“Why not?  I’m not that old.”


“Never too old,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips.  As the lovers deepened their kiss, Bree and Patrick came out of the hall and into the porch on their way to Patrick’s room to do homework and last minute reports before the winter school break.


“Get a room!” they both called out as they passed the two men locked in each other’s arms.  They giggled as Brian and Justin came up for air.


“I believe we’ve been instructed to go to our room, Sunshine,” Brian said with a grin.


“I do believe you’re right, my Big Smoosh,” Justin said with a grin of his own.


“So what are we waiting for?” Brian asked.  Justin shrugged his shoulders, grabbed Brian’s hand then tugged his spouse to their room.


Up above, John and Bobby stood at the balcony rail observing the whole scene.  They laughed when they heard Brian and Justin’s bedroom door slam shut.


“Do you think Brian’s right that this whole thing started because Patrick asked Brittany to the dance?” Bobby asked John.


“It certainly appears that way,” John replied as he snaked his arm around Bobby’s shoulder.


“Maybe they finally came to an understanding,” Bobby suggested.


“Maybe,” John agreed as he gave his spouse a squeeze.  “You know I’m not so old either,” John coyly remarked.


“That thought never entered my mind,” Bobby said with a waggle of his red eyebrows.


They quickly went down the spiral staircase then scurried off to their own room.


 


*****


 


“What did Teddy want?” Justin asked as they rested in between rounds.  Brian was stretched out on the bed on his back.  Justin lay in his arms with his chin resting on Brian’s chest.  Every once in a while Justin would play with the few sparse chest hairs he found there.


“I should shave those,” Brian commented as he looked down his nose to see what Justin was doing.


“Don’t, I like them.”


“I never knew you were into bears, Sunshine.”  Brian grinned.


“One-two-three, fourteen chest hairs do not a bear make,” Justin teased back.


“They’re grey,” Brian sighed.


“Don’t care.  I love you and your grey hairs, now answer the question.  What did Ted want that made him drive all the way here and couldn’t be discussed over the phone?”  Justin gave Brian a determined look.  Brian knew that look and decided being direct would be best.


“He actually had one proposal and one suggestion.  The suggestion was to offer the vacant apartment in the Tremont building to Melanie.”  Brian waited for Justin’s reaction.


“That’s actually a good idea.  My Mom’s been looking for a decent place for Melanie but it’s a bad time of the year.  No one wants to move around the holidays, not if they don’t have to.”


“She’s right.  I’ve been in touch with a few other realtors and they all say the same.”


“Are you going to let her live there?”  Justin raised his head to look into Brian’s eyes.  Brian nodded.  Justin’s eyes widened.


“It makes sense,” Brian said as he pushed Justin’s head down.  “Melanie will be a good tenant.  Not only that, she’ll be safe with friends she knows.  They all look out for each other.  Maybe Mel will become more human,” Brian snarked and got a smack for his trouble.  But he felt Justin nod in agreement.


“And the proposal?” Justin pushed.


“You know we’ve been talking expansion and hiring someone who is free enough to fly on business trips at a moment’s notice.”


“No?  I don’t fucking believe it.  You’re actually considering hiring Mel,” Justin said with astonishment.  He pushed up onto his elbows to get a good look at Brian’s face.


“Believe it, Sunshine.  If Mel accepts the offer, she can start on Monday.”


“Brian, I don’t deny that Melanie is smart and good at what she does but have you stopped to consider Lindsay’s opinion?”


“Yes, I did.  As soon as Ted left I called Linds to discuss it.  She knew Mel was back.  Several birdies from the gay grapevine took delight in dropping that bomb.”


“And, what did Lindsay say?”


“She’s okay with it.”


“What is this - the attack of the pod people?  Lindsay and Mel did not separate on good terms.”


“No they didn’t but Lindsay is very happy with her life.  She’s taken the Bloom Gallery and made it even better.  Her relationship with Chaaarles is in a good place and she and Candy are doing well.  Candy will turn eighteen soon, her drawings are selling, not to mention her work on Rage, and she’s shown interest in the gallery.  It’s like Lindsay’s found the perfect protégé.  They relate on many levels.  Lindsay only wishes Melanie well.”


“That’s…”


“Unbelievable?”


“I was going to say wonderful but unbelievable fits too.”


Brian flipped them over so he could kiss and nibble on Justin’s lips.  He stroked the thick blond tresses away from Justin’s face.


“What is it?” Justin asked.


“Michael.  He called here yesterday screaming his head off but John picked up the phone by accident.”


“He’s not happy,” Justin surmised.


“No, he’s not.  I think he thinks we should all shun Melanie in some misguided loyalty toward JR.”


“But JR loves her mother,” Justin guessed.


“Yes, she does and is very happy to have her back in the Pitts.”


“I bet that’s pissing off Michael.”


“I wouldn’t bet against you.”


“So what are you going to do?  Michael will think you’ve chosen Mel over him.”


“He may have to think that for a while until he cools down enough to hear reason.  Besides we have more pressing matters to consider,” Brian said as he began to grind his groin against Justin’s.  They both hardened. 


“And what might those matters be?” Justin asked as he bucked up, pressing himself closer then wrapping his legs around Brian’s thighs.


“Right now I’m going to fuck you into the mattress,” Brian said as they kissed and humped against each other.


“And later?” Justin asked when the need for air made them break apart for a second.


“Get through this fucking school dance,” Brian growled as he shouldered Justin’s legs then slowly pressed himself inside his already lubed and willing lover.