- Text Size +

A Woman Scorned

 


Chapter 9


 


"I'll get it!" Bree shouted as she ran to the front door. She yanked it open and grabbed Ashley in a big hug. "Come on," she said to her best friend. The two girls ran down the hall to Bree's bedroom.


"I'm sorry she didn't even acknowledge that you were here, Susanna," Justin said as he arrived at the door. "I don't know where her manners are these days."


Susanna laughed. "They're so excited about this dance. Here's Ashley's dress," she said handing Justin a garment bag. "I think this is a great idea to have the girls try on their dresses together."


"I'm sure they'll be squealing and and oohing and aahing over each thing they put on," Justin laughed. "Can you come in for a coffee?"


"I'd love to, but I'm so glad to have this afternoon to get some of my Christmas shopping done. I'll pick up Ashley before dinner. They think having an evening dance is the ultimate in grown up parties."


"No problem," Justin said. "I just hope they have a good time tonight."


Susanna nodded. "Bree seemed more like herself ... what little I saw of her. She's usually such a positive influence. Ashley's been kind of worried about her."


"Did Ashley tell you anything about what's been bothering Bree?"


"Not really. I just know from the bits I've heard of their conversations that Bree has been in a funk lately."


"That's putting it mildly," Justin said making a face.


"I take it that you don't really know what's going on with her either."


Justin shook his head. "She does seem better lately though, thank God!"


"I guess the girls are growing up. We probably have lots more of this to look forward to as time goes on."


Justin groaned. "I can hardly wait," he said sarcastically.


Susanna chuckled. "We'll get through it ... somehow. Anyway, I better get going if I'm to get all my shopping done."


"Have fun and take your time," Justin advised her. "We'll look after the girls until you come to pick her up."


"That's great. Thanks, Justin."


"No problem," Justin said before he closed the door behind his friend. He walked down the hall to Bree's bedroom where he tapped on the door. "Ashley, your mom left your dress."


"Thanks, Mr. Justin," Ashley said as she opened the door and took the dress from him.


"Do you need any help?" Justin asked.


"No, Daddy, we can get dressed by ourselves," Bree informed him in no uncertain terms.


"Okay, well, if you need any help just call us," Justin said before Bree shut the door. He walked down the hall to find Brian.


 


*****

 



"That dress looks really good on you," Ashley said as Bree twirled in front of her. "Is it new?"


"No," Bree replied with a sigh. "Auntie Molly helped me pick it out from the dresses I had. Daddy and Dada wouldn't get me a new one. I guess it's not so bad."


"It's a great dress. You look ... beautiful."


"So do you," Bree said as she studied her friend. "Is that a new dress?"


"Yes, Mommy got it for me last week. None of my dresses would fit me. Mommy says I've gone through a growth spurt," Ashley explained.


"I wish I'd go through a growth spurt. I want to be taller and older and more beautiful."


"You're all those things already."


"I love you, Ashley," Bree said as she hugged her friend. "I hope this dance is fun. I don't want to sit on a chair the whole time and watch Brittany and Patrick dance."


"We can dance together," Ashley suggested.


"I know," Bree said. "And Patrick said he would save a dance for me."


"He did? When did this happen?"


"I got sick of not talking to Patrick, so I went to his room and we sort of made up," Bree said with a grin.


"You did? That's wonderful. You were so sad ... and cranky ... when you weren't speaking to him."


"I wasn't cranky," Bree protested.


Ashley raised her eyebrows and stared at her friend. "I hate to be the one to tell you, but you were beyond cranky."


"What's beyond cranky?" Bree asked with a frown.


"A word that starts with 'b' that I'm not supposed to say," Ashley replied.


"You mean bitch?"


Ashley giggled. "That's the word."


"I know I was ... upset," Bree sighed, "but I didn't know I was being a bitch." Bree shook her head like she trying to get rid of the last remnants of the girl who was the bitch. "I still wish Patrick was taking me to the dance, but he asked Brittany first, and he's going to take her. But I also think he's a little fed up with her."


"He is?" Ashley asked. "How do you know? Did he tell you that?"


"Not exactly, but I got the feeling that Brittany isn't his favorite person anymore."


"Is his favorite person you?" Ashley asked with a giggle.


"Maybe." Bree grabbed the bottom of her dress and swung the skirt from side to side. Bree's face made Ashley think of the cat who had just caught the bird.


Ashley smiled, feeling good that her friend was happy once again. "I'm so glad, Bree. It's good to have you back like your old self."


"Yeah, I got tired of being mad all the time. It took a lot of energy, and it wasn't getting me anywhere."


"You're so smart," Ashley gushed.


"If I was really smart, I would have figured it out sooner."


"I think you figured it out at just the right time."


Bree grinned. "Auntie Molly gave me this," Bree said excitedly as she opened the drawer of her dresser and pulled out a tube of lipstick. "She said it would make me look older, but she didn't think I should wear it in front of my fathers."


"Ooh, can we try it?" Ashley asked.


The girls proceeded to experiment with putting on the pale pink lipstick, giggling and laughing as they did so.


 


*****

 



“No, problem, we’ll take Ashley with us. No, no, it’ll take you twice as long if you come here first. Okay, we’ll see you at the school in about an hour. Later,” Justin said into the phone as he hung up.


“What’s up?” Brian asked. He came out of the bathroom preceded by a cloud of fragrant Brian scented steam with a towel wrapped around his waist.


“We’re going to be late,” Justin complained with a frown. Justin was dressed in his favorite deep navy Hugo Boss suit with a pale grey shirt. His long blond mane was slicked back making him look very sophisticated. Brian arched a brow then smiled appreciatively.


“You do know this is just a school dance. It’s not a prom or a wedding reception or an exclusive opening for a Justin Taylor show,” Brian growled as he toweled off his hair.


“We made a commitment to Bree and to the school to be there at five. The kids are going to start arriving at six. It’s four and you’re not ready.” Justin stated the facts.


“I’ll be ready in five minutes,” Brian said as he sat on the edge of the bed to pull on his briefs.


“Yeah, right. Sometimes I think you take longer to dress than Bree.”


“Justin, if I said we’ll be there at five then we’ll be there at five. Now, who was on the phone?”


“Susanna. There was an accident downtown. She was stuck in traffic for an hour. If she comes here to get Ashley...”


“So we’ll bring her with us.”


“Right. But we can’t leave until...”


“I’ll be ready. You go check on the Squirt.”


“She’s ten, are you ever going to stop calling her the Squirt?”


“Nope, never, Sunshine,” Brian said with a smirk. He reached over with one long arm to grab Justin and pull him in close. “I will never stop calling you Sunshine and never stop calling Bree, Squirt.” As Brian gave Justin a loving kiss, Justin caressed the cooling skin of Brian’s back. Before their passion could reach a critical level, there was a knock on their door.


“Hey guys, we’re ready to go!” the boys heard John say.


“Be right there,” Justin replied then he took one more taste of Brian’s lips. “I love you,” Justin whispered.


“I know,” Brian murmured back. Justin chuckled then left their room to get the girls.


“Hey,” Justin greeted his in-laws. “Slight change in plans. We’re going to take Ashley with us.”


“No problem. We discussed this,” John said.


“We’ll take separate cars just in case one of us has to stay late or one of the kids wants to leave early,” Bobby added as he threw a poignant look at his son. Patrick blushed.


“What?” Justin asked as he caught the exchange.


“Are you going to tell your uncle or should I?” Bobby asked his son. Patrick heaved a heavy sigh. When no answer was forthcoming, Bobby continued. “Patrick has come to the conclusion that his date for the evening may not have been his wisest choice. However, being the gentleman we hope he is, Patrick will honor his commitment and escort the young lady for the evening,” Bobby emphatically stated. John remained stoic but a familiar Kinney scowl was plastered on his face.


“Are Brittany’s parents chaperoning with the rest of us?” Justin asked.


“No,” Patrick replied. “Her parents are in Florida; the nanny is dropping her off then will pick her up later,” Patrick explained.


“Is Brittany going to be alone for the holidays?” Justin asked aghast that her parents weren’t spending the season with their daughter.


Patrick shook his head. “Brittany didn’t want to go so when school’s out for the break, she’s going to New York to stay with her grandparents,” he answered with relief in his voice.


“At least that’s something,” John commented. Justin and Bobby nodded. “We’ll meet you there,” he said as they headed for the front door.


Justin heard the distinctive sound of the Navigator engine starting up as he stood poised at Bree’s door. He was ready to knock when the door flew open and a very distressed looking Ashley was ready to bolt out of the door.


“What’s wrong?”


“It’s Bree, she locked herself in the bathroom and she won’t come out. I was coming to get you. Mr. Justin, I’m a little scared. She was okay then all of a sudden she said her stomach hurt.” Ashley looked up at Justin with worried eyes.


“It’s okay, sweetheart. Go wait for us in the living room. Your Mom got stuck in traffic, we’re going to take you to the dance.” Justin patted the child on the head.


“Okay, Mr. Justin,” Ashley said. She hesitated for a moment looking back into Bree’s room then slowly walked down the hall.


“Baby Girl?” Justin calmly called out as he gently knocked on Bree’s bathroom door. “Are you okay?”


“I don’t know, Daddy,” came a tiny voice from behind the door.


“Can you let me in?” Justin asked, trying to rein in his worry.


“Daddy, can you get Dada for me?”


“Sure, Baby Girl. I’ll be right back,” Justin said with some disappointment in his voice. He quickly went to the master bedroom just as Brian was slipping his feet into his shoes and putting on his suit jacket.


“Are the girls ready?”


“Brian, Bree’s locked herself in the bathroom.”


“What? Why?”


“Ashley said Bree complained that her stomach hurt then she locked herself in.” Brian did a 180 and rushed into Bree’s room.


“Squirt? Can you open the door for me?” Brian gently begged.


“I don’t know.”


“Brian, make her open up the door,” Justin demanded.


“Easy, we don’t want to scare her,” Brian said calmly.


“But it’s okay for her to scare the shit out of me.”


“Justin, take Ashley to the dance. We’ll meet you there.”


“I am not leaving this house until I see Bree,” Justin growled out.


“Bree, open the door so that your Daddy can see you and then we can talk,” Brian said in his most commanding businesslike manner.


“Make her open the door right now before I break it down,” Justin said through gritted teeth. Brian knew Justin meant it. He was about to kick the door in himself.


“Squirt, I can’t help you until you open the door,” Brian said trying to keep the panic out of his voice.


“You won’t be mad at me?”


“Of course not. I love you, Squirt. Daddy loves you. Nothing you do will ever makes us that angry at you,” Brian reassured his daughter.


They waited a few very long minutes until the boys heard the snick of the lock opening. The door slowly opened and they saw a very tearful Bree look up at them.


“Baby Girl,” Justin said as he dropped to his knees and hugged his daughter.


“Daddy,” Bree murmured as she hung onto Justin. He tried to lift Bree up but she pushed him back. “Daddy, can I please talk to Dada?” Bree asked, choosing her words carefully. Justin seemed stunned. “Please, Daddy.”


“Okay. It seems that I’m not wanted. Brian, I’m going to take Ashley to the dance. I’ll see you both later,” Justin said as he exited the room. “Ashley, sweetheart, get your coat,” Justin shouted.


A few minutes later Brian and Bree heard the front door slam. Brian stood in the middle of Bree’s room pinching the bridge of his nose.


“Dada?” Bree’s voice brought Brian back to the problem at hand. He’d have to deal with an angry Sunshine later.


“Briana, are you ready to tell me the truth?” Brian was about to pick Bree up but she took a step back, so he sat on the edge of her bed and waited until she was ready to speak. “Squirt, help me to help you.”


“Close your eyes.”


“What?”


“Close your eyes. Pleeeez,” she begged. Brian stared at Bree for a moment. He saw the pleading and the confusion in her eyes. For a second Brian saw Justin at his most vulnerable. He closed his eyes and gave into his instincts. Bree leaned close to his ear and whispered.


 


*****

 



“Hey.”


“Hey.”


“You still talking to me?”


“If I must.”


“You’ll have to if you want to know what’s up with your daughter.”


“Our daughter and of course I want to know what’s up. And why are you whispering? Where the fuck are you?”


“In her room. On her bed. She’s asleep with a cold compress on her forehead and an ice pack on her abdomen. I also got her to take a couple Tylenol.”


“You mean she’s really sick? Did you call her pediatrician?”


“Didn’t need to. I know what’s wrong.”


“Are you going to share? This is killing me.”


“Take it down a notch, Sunshine. She’s all right or she will be in about a week, and so will we, eventually, like when she grows up and moves out.”


“Brian, I swear to all the gods if you don’t tell me what the fuck is wrong I am personally going to rip your other ball off.”


“There’s nothing wrong, just that our little girl is growing up.”


“I know that.”


“No, Sunshine, Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor is becoming a young woman.”


“You mean?”


“Yup.


“Holy shit!”


“Yup.”


“So what do we do?”


“You, my dear Sunshine, get to finish out this lovely evening as a chaperone at the school dance. While grey bunny and I get to watch our daughter sleep.”


“Why do I always get the tough jobs.”


“Just lucky I guess.”


“Brian, why didn’t she want to talk to me?”


“I’m not sure. But I’m thinking it’s because you and her are just like two peas in a pod. You both react the same way to certain situations.”


“Are you saying that I’m more emotional than you?”


“No, just more out there. In other words, I fake it better than you do. Don’t worry, Justin, she doesn’t love you any more or less than me; she just needs us differently.”


“Okay ... I think. I’ll be home in a few hours. I love you, Brian.”


“Love you too, Sunshine.”


“Kiss our daughter for me.”


“Will do. Later.”


“Later.”


Brian placed his phone on vibrate as he toed off his shoes and made himself more comfortable next to Bree. She snuggled closer as Brian tucked her comforter around her. Grey bunny was cuddled in between them. He inhaled her soft scent then smiled at the strong genetics. Her scent reminded Brian of Justin. He watched her sleep just as he had watched Justin sleep hundreds and hundreds of times.


After a while Brian carefully rolled onto his back. He allowed the familiar sounds and scents of his home to relax him. He pondered the twists and turns his life took along the way then snickered. Melanie Marcus was now his employee and his tenant, his son was finishing up his MBA, and now his daughter, his baby girl was turning into a woman before his eyes.


As Brian drifted to sleep, he wondered where life was going to take him next.

 

-end-

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.

This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Little Girls and Puppy Dog Tales. The next story in the series is Hormonal Shift.