- Text Size +

Chapter 1


“I’m coming, Aaron.” Justin tried to pull out of Brian’s arms but he pulled him back for one more kiss. 

When he finally let him go he said, “Shut your eyes for a few more minutes.  You were up with him a couple hours ago.”  

Justin laid in bed and listened to Brian talk to Aaron.  “You are going to wear your beautiful daddy out and if you do that he doesn’t have any energy for this daddy.”  Justin heard Brian mumble and then heard, “Oh, god, we need to start feeding you real food.  These diapers…”

Justin smiled as he pictured them in the next room.  He knew Brian didn’t like to change dirty diapers at all but he had been doing his share. Justin heard a soft noise and when he glanced at the door he saw Gus peeking around it.  He waved him in and Gus ran in, climbing over Justin and under the covers. Justin pulled him close and whispered, “Sh, let’s surprise your dad.” Gus giggled softly but then went silent.

“For someone so little this kid can make the biggest mess!”  Brian commented. Justin pointed to the squirming blanket next to him and put a finger to his mouth. “You get the next diaper.” Brian laid Aaron between their pillows and Justin dropped a kiss on his cheek and then kissed Brian. Brian continued, “Good thing that Gus isn’t here.  We wouldn’t want him in our bed with us.  He doesn’t like to have fun..”

“Daddy, I like fun!” Gus popped out from under the blanket and Brian pulled him over away from Aaron so he could rough house with him without hurting Aaron.  Gus’ giggles were contagious.  He had to laugh as Gus pinned Brian down and then kissed his dad. Brian hugged his squirming son for a moment.

There was another knock on the bedroom door. “Is Mr. Gus in there?” Ronni’s voice came from the hall.  

“Ronni, can you save me from this little monster?”  Brian started tickling Gus again as their house manager walked in.  

“This young man must get ready for preschool,” she said in her clipped Jamacian accent. “Kiss your papas and come with me.”

“Ok, Ronni,” Gus, kissed Brian and then Justin.  “I can’t forget Aaron.” Gus kissed his little brother on the cheek and then scampered off the bed and took Ronni’s hand before she pulled the door shut.

“I hope we pay that woman enough. With Aaron getting up so often yet and you still need to be careful with your headaches, I don’t know what we would do if she didn’t keep us on schedule.  You know in a couple minutes she will ask if I got my lazy ass out of bed because she knows I have a meeting this morning.” Brian trailed his hand down Justin’s side and grabbed his ass pulling him against his erection, “And I really had hoped we had time for….”

“Brian, are you out of bed yet? You have no time to mess with your husband this morning.” Ronni’s voice came from the hall as she took Gus downstairs for breakfast.

“You don’t think she had cameras installed do you?” he kissed Brian and then slipped out of bed, pulling his robe on before picking up Aaron. “I need to feed this little guy anyway.” He followed Brian into the bathroom where he was getting in the shower.  “Are you going to be home late tonight?”

“I’ll let you know.  I should be home on time but if this meeting stirs anything up….”

“Is this the one with the European company?”

“It is.  I know at some point I will have to go over there but I don’t expect that for a couple months but …” Brian came out of the shower and started drying off. 

“But you could possibly have to go soon?”

“It’s a slim possibility.  I would need to go next week but I am hoping not to have to.” He kissed Justin. “You Ok with that?”

“I don’t have to like it but you have a business to run.  A business that takes very good care of all of us.” They kissed once more but Aaron started crying.  “I’ll go get his breakfast and make sure Ronni has your coffee made.”


When Brian entered the kitchen Ronni whistled, “You look as sweet as sugar and as spicy as creole.”

“I wouldn’t say he is spicy but salty…” Ronni pulled a face as Justin smiled at him and strolled over to kiss him.  “You look gorgeous.”

“I think Ronni even thinks so,” Brian said as he touched Aaron’s cheek and went to get his coffee from Ronni.

She handed him a travel mug filled with coffee just the way he likes it. “Here take some of these to the office.” She handed him several individually wrapped bars of some kind.”

“What are they?”

“They are protein bars.  I make them for my Jamie all the time. If you have to skip a meal, eat one. You need to stay healthy for this family of yours.’

Brian kissed her cheek.  “Thank you.” 

Ronni blushed and changed the subject. “Come on my Gus, I will drive you to school.” Gus who had been coloring at the table rushed over to her and they were off. Brian followed right behind and Justin stood in the house holding Aaron.

Justin laid Aaron down to nap and he looked at Ronni’s schedule.  It was Gus’ short day so she would run errands and get groceries and then bring him back about lunch. Then Justin would go to his studio and work for a few hours.  He made a cup of Ronni’s special tea and sat down to sip it.  He had a low thud in his head which was the norm but the tea kept it at bay and the doctors expected it to get better as everything healed inside his skull. He sipped the liquid as he sketched for a bit but as he finished the tea he set his head back on the sofa and closed his eyes.


Justin woke with a start when he felt fingers on his temples.  “What the …”

“Relax, sweetie, it’s just me.” Emmett continued the circular motion on Justin’s head.  “Is it bad?”

Justin smiled up with his eyes closed. “Nothing serious.  The tea is already helping.  They get a little less severe every day. I’d say in another month they should be better.  By then hopefully Aaron will sleep more at night and I will have healed some more.” Justin reached up and took t’s hand. “Do you have time for a cup of coffee?” 

“I’m all yours. Jamesy went into town to get lawn supplies and I have a busy weekend ahead but I have today all to myself.” He walked to the counter, “I’ll grab our coffee.  I was hoping I had James all to myself but…”

“Well, I hear it’s supposed to rain this afternoon so no lawn work.”  

“Oh, I hope you’re right.” Emmetttt handed him a cup and sat next to him on the sofa. “How are you really, Justin.  You have had so much going on.  I mean you are 21 years old. You’re married and have two children.  I know you love it all but….It’s a lot.”

Justin smiled at Emmett.  “It is but what would I give up?  If we didn’t have Ronni I wouldn’t survive.  Speaking of Ronni, how is it going with her and the two of you?”

“She still struggles to accept it sometimes but overall she is really trying her best. I will just keep being my same sweet lovable self and she will eventually love me because she loves Jamesy.” Em put his arm around Justin who was comfortable leaning against him. “Brian isn’t coming home anytime soon, is he? He might kick me off the grounds.”

“No, he’s in an important meeting this morning and pretty soon he may have to go to Europe for a week or two.”

“Well, if that happens James and I will move in so we can help you and Ronni with the boys.”

“Oh, Em, that would be nice.  I’m sure Mom will help out, too, but with Molly in school she can’t be out here as much.”

“Well, I love seeing my big, strong man holding those beautiful boys of yours.  It makes me all tingly and you know what’s tingling the most!” 

“I’m glad you’re here. It is so good to see you as happy as I am.”

“But not as tired.  You look exhausted, sweetie.  Why don’t you,” as if on cue Aaron started to whimper. Justin started to stand but Em pushed him back. “I got him. Come to Uncle Emmy.” Emmett picked up the fussing baby. “Well, I can tell what woke you up. Lay down for a few minutes, Justin.  I can handle him for ten minutes.”  Justin laid down and was out in seconds.


An hour later Justin sat up saying, “Aaron!” 

“He’s fine, sweetie.” Justin looked to the counter and saw Emmett standing next to James who had Aaron in his massive arms. “Jamesy gave him a bottle with a little water.  He said that would be good.”

Justin moved across the room to his son.  “You should have woken me.  What if…?

“As tired as you were, you weren’t any good to anyone.  You look much better rested.”

“I have to admit, my head isn’t hurting anymore. And if I didn’t even hear James, come in, I must have really been tired. I’m so sorry.”

“There is nothing to be sorry about.  I love holding this wee one.” James kissed the baby before passing him to his father.

“Looks like rain.  May I suggest you two go start the fireplace in your house.”

“I really should get to…” James started to protest.

“Tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day, although a little chilly.”

“Thanks, Justin,” Em kissed his cheek.  He kissed James.  “Don’t argue with one of your employees.”

Emmett led James to the door and they both put on jackets before running out the back door to the vehicle parked to the side.

As they fell into the car the heavens opened up and Emmett nearly crawled over the counsel to kiss James. After they kissed for several minutes Em said, “We better never have kids.”

“Why do you say that?” James asked as he finally started the car and drove toward their place.

“I’d be so horny seeing you hold our child that I would always have a hard on.”

James was flustered. As good looking as he was he still didn’t know how to handle compliments. They were both silent until they were in the house. Emmett unbuttoned James shirt. “Why are you so surprised when I compliment you? You are the most beautiful man I have ever seen.”

“Em, the girls always said that kind of stuff but I wasn’t interested.” He was so soft spoken but when Emmett had pushed his shirt to the side and started a trail of kisses down his chest and when he dropped to his knees and started undoing James’ fly.  As his tongue traveled lower James braced himself against the sofa and before they both knew what was happening they had flipped over the arm and Emmet landed on top of James and then they both rolled off the sofa and ended up on the floor in front of the fireplace. James made short work of undressing Emmett and then James slipped on a condom and moved into Emmett.  

As usual there was nothing quiet about Em and as he went over he shouted, “Damn, where have you been all my life?”

Gently he dropped onto Em and then rolled over. Very softly he said, “I’ve been looking for you.”

“James, don’t say things like that unless you mean it. I’ve been disappointed too many times.  I have probably only really been in love once and that was with George and George….”

“I know how special he was to you.  And I know why you were special to him. I am not going anywhere and I can only pray you don’t leave me. For the first time in my life, I feel like I know who I really am.”

“You’re the man I love. The man I hope to spend many, many years together.” Emmett slipped so he was straddling James’ narrow hips. He took James’ hands and pushed them over his head and held them there as he moved down to kiss him.

“Do you ever wish you had kids? When I watch Justin and Brian with the boys I sometimes wish….I never thought two men could have a family together but now I kind of wonder…”

Emmett began to move gently back and forth allowing his ass to brush against James' rising cock. Changing the subject he said, “I’m ready to take a ride on my stallion.” He turned around so his back was to James.  He raised his ass and James manually positioned his cock so as Emmett grabbed his ankles, he lowered himself down on his erection. “I want a bucking bronco!”

James thrust to meet Emmett and soon they were both crying out again. “Emmett Honeycutt, I love you!”  It was barely out of his mouth and Em turned around and looked at the man below him.

“James Augustin, I love you, too!” Emmett drops down on him as James wrapped his arms around him. 


It was about 12:15 when Ronni arrived with Gus.  Justin had made lunch for them and the three sat down to eat.  Justin had made soup and crackers and cheese and some celery with peanut butter.  Aaron was asleep and Justin could focus completely on Gus for an hour. After tucking him in for a nap, Justin left Ronni in charge and ran through the rain to the pool house.  He had several projects started. He was painting a commissioned portrait for someone but had also started a painting of Gus resting his chin on the edge of the cradle looking at Aaron.  He had a deadline on the portrait so he focused on that this afternoon.  About 3:30, he heard someone come in and was surprised to see Brian standing in the door.

“What are you doing home already?” Justin set the paint brush down and walked over to Brian he put his hands behind his back so he wouldn’t get paint on Brian’s Italian suit and kissed him softly. Brian quickly pulled Justin’s shirt over his head so his arms were trapped in the shirt behind his back.  Brian now, all paint on the inside of the shirt behind Justin, pulled him close and kissed him. This time Justin’s toes curled as Brian’s tongue worked its way around Justin’s mouth and by the time they separated Justin leaned against Brian.

“So, are you sorry I’m home?” Brian looked down at Justin whose arms were still trapped behind him.

“I never said I was sorry but if you come home early it usually means one of two things.  Something very good happened or something bad did.”

“Well, Sunshine, I guess this could be both?”

‘What’s up? Besides me that is.” He rubbed his fly against Brian’s.

“Can we take care of that,” he reached down and slipped his hand into Justin’s pants “first?”

“Damn, Brian, you’re distracting me.” Brian pushed his pants down and as he did it Justin slipped his arms out of the shirt behind his back. Brian took time to grab a clean towel and placed it on the floor before dropping to his knees in front of Justin and then, slowly, took Justin into his mouth. Justin soon grasped for a stool that was nearby and with Brian’s assistance it was moved behind him so he could lean against it. It wasn’t very long before Justin was filling Brian’s mouth.  Brian took great care to tantalize out every drop he had to offer.

“God, Brian, you are so good at that. Now what are you trying not to tell me?”

“The good news is that the video meeting I had this morning was a great success.  It is going to be a multi-million dollar contract.  I mean this will mean a very LARGE bonus for Ted, Cynthia, and myself. I was thinking that Ronni could definitely use more help so she can focus on the kids and I really thought you might like a better studio.  I was thinking maybe the area above the garage.  It is big and bright.  You wouldn’t have to go outside if it’s rainy or really cold.  And the boys will be able to come up and say hi without going out by the pool.”

“That would be great, but what aren’t you telling me, Bri?” He got up and pulled his pants back into place. You are making me nervous.”

“Oh, Sunshine, I hate the timing but I have to go to the Netherlands.  I tried to get them to agree to doing all of this via conference calls but they said no.  The owner of the company is a bit old fashioned in his own way.   He wants me to do a gay focused campaign but he wants to meet me to make sure I’m gay enough for him.” Brian laughed. “If Aaron was a little older I would take you all along.”

“My doctor probably wouldn’t want me flying right now anyway. Please tell me you won’t be gone too long.”

“It will probably be 10 days to two weeks. I promise I will make it as short as I can.  I hate leaving you alone.”

“Well, I won’t be alone.  I have Ronni, and I have James and Emmett, not to mention Mom and Molly.”

“So are you saying you won’t miss me?”

“Damn, Brian, you know that isn’t true. I just don’t know if….”

“I already have Ronni checking on more help.  She knows a young woman who is in night school and she just lost her job.  Ronni has her coming in tomorrow.  She can focus on the kids and the new hire will be in charge of the house under Ronni’s supervision. You have given up so much already for our kids.  I don’t want any of this to affect you anymore.” 

“But if you’re not here it affects me. I know some of it is just my brain still acting up but…”

Brian looked into his eyes and saw something that looked like fear.  “Oh, Sunshine,” he pulled him close.  “Forget it.  I don’t have to go.  I’ll just tell them they will have to go with video conference or go with someone else.”

“Oh, Brian, as much as I would love to say to do that, I …..I cost you so much already and you said this was a big account.  It probably could make you millions over time.”

“Sunshine, you are worth more than any amount of money.  You know that, right?” He kissed Justin’s silky hair.

“Is Cynthia making the arrangements?”

“She is but…” Justin stopped Brian with a kiss. 

“You are doing this for our family. You’ll be back and we will be able to do more for our children.  If this is that big a deal it is worth it. Just don’t forget I’m here waiting, we’re here waiting. I mean there will be lots of opportunity for you to … well, Amsterdam is very free.  If you …”

“Don’t even think….you are the only….” Brian stopped talking and thought through what he was saying. “I understand why you question my faithfulness.  I was horrible before but…”

“Brian, you have been nothing but ….well, perfect, since you rescued me.”

“You rescued yourself.” Brian’s phone beeped and he pulled the phone out of his pocket. “Damn,” he said.

“What is it?”

“Cynthia booked my flight for the day after tomorrow.  I have to be at the airport at 6:00 a.m which means I have to leave about 4:30.”  He texted her back and put his phone back in his pocket.  “I told her to cancel everything on my calendar and if anything has to be signed before I go, someone will have to run them out here. I am sure I will have to work an hour or two tomorrow, maybe while Gus is at school, and the rest of the day is for you and the boys.”

“Brian, you are a good man.”

Brian looked around the studeo. “That painting of the boys is going to be so amazing.  And this one is going to make the family who ordered it …. It is just amazing.  It’s not as beautiful as our boys but that’s because we have the most beautiful kids in the world. I am going to miss them so much. Just hearing Gus say, Daddy, makes my heart melt.”

“How long are you going to be gone?” Justin walked behind Brian and wrapped his arms around his slim waist.

“She left it open ended because we don’t know. What am I going to tell Gus.  His moms just left and now….”

“Gus knows he’s loved and supported.  He loves Ronni and if Em and James spend more time in the house, he will have lots of attention and if he wants to sleep with me he can.  Let’s go find our boys.  They should be done with their naps by now.”

“Justin?”

“Ya, Bri?”

“I love you.”

“I know you do.” He gave Brian one of his winning smiles and led the way to the house.”


Brian spent the next day with his family.  He met Tracy, the new housekeeper.  She was a soft spoken woman of about 25.  She had gotten out of an abusive marriage and was now trying to get her degree.  Ronni told them that Tracy’s ex had gotten her fired by coming by her employer’s house daily.  Here it was private property and with the security they had put in place for Justin’s security when he was first rescued from Craig.  James already knew the story and said he would gladly keep a closer eye on the property.  Before she left that day, it was decided she would move in the house.  She didn’t have to live there but they had plenty of room and as long as her ex was a threat she may as well stay where she was safe. After thanking them over and over, James and Emmett followed her home to help her pack up her few items and they could move her few pieces of furniture in the back of the truck James drove when he was working around the estate.  There was an old shed that they could use to store what she didn’t want in her room.  

Justin and Brian spent as much of the day with the boys as they could and by bedtime. Gus realized his daddy was going away for a while.  “Daddy,” Gus pulled Brian down on the bed next to him. “Can I come, too?”

“Well, Gus, if you come with me, who will take care of Aaron? He needs his big brother to take care of him.”

“He has Daddy Justin.”

“Well, who is going to take care of Justin?”

Gus curled up  against Brian, “He is big.  He doesn’t need anyone to take care of him.”

“Everyone needs someone to take care of them.” Brian smiled at his son.

“Well, who is going to take care of you?” Gus looked up at his daddy’s face.

“It will be hard but I think I can make it for a few days alone.”

Gus held on to his arm, tightly.  “I don’t want you to go away.”

“Oh, Gussy,” Brian pulled him close. “I will miss you so much.  How about if we have meetings.  We can have a conference call some nights.  That would be just like I do at work. I’m special like your work?”

“Oh, son, you are so much more important than work.  I will call all the time to talk to you and your brother.”

“Aaron is too small to talk.”

“Well, then I guess you will have to tell me what he is doing.”

“Ok.  I can do that.” Gus moved so he was laying across Brian. Gus yawned.

“I think it is time for you to get some sleep. In a couple of days, I’ll call and we can talk on Saturday, alright?”

“I don’t want…” he yawned again. “I’m not tired.”

“I love you, Gus.”

“I love you, Daddy.”

Justin stood in the door as Brian talked to his son and then kissed him before tucking the blankets around him and walking out into the hall where Justin waited for him.  When Brian pulled the door shut Justin took him in his arms. “He’ll be fine. He knows how much you love him and he will have lots going on.  I’m the one who is going to have to go without.” Justin kissed him.  “Who's going to take care of me while you're gone.”

“No one, I hope.” Brian pulled Justin close and started to pull him to the bedroom.  “You know I would love to but Aaron is…” As if on cue, Aaron started crying. “He needs his final bottle and then….”

“You go get his bottle ready.  I’ll change him and bring him down. And after he goes back to sleep I will remind you why no man can do what I do for you.”  He swatted Justin’s tight ass as he stepped into the bedroom.

When Brian arrived downstairs with the fussy little boy, Justin had the bottle ready for him. They sat on the sofa side by side.  As Brian snuggled with Aaron, holding his bottle, Justin slid his hand under Aaron and rested it between Brian’s legs.  Brian spread his legs just slightly, giving Justin room to massage his cock and balls through his pants. 

Brian leaned over, kissing Justin, long and gentle, cradling their son between them. Justin placed a hand on Brian’s cheek and then traced Brian’s jawline. His mouth followed his hand and then his head rested on Brian’s shoulder.  “I’m going to miss you so much.”

Brian kissed Aaron, “I will be back as soon as I can.  I will show them a picture of my family and they will know why I need to get back.” As The bottle was drained, they sat silently for a few minutes.

“We better get to bed.  We need to be up by 3:00 or so.”

“And that is why that wee one is going to sleep in my room tonight.” Ronni appeared from her room.  “You will be getting up in five hours and this one will probably still be sleeping.”  

Brian and Justin both kissed the sleeping child and Brian passed him over.  “Thank you, Ronni.  We appreciate it.” Brian kissed her cheek.

Justin smiled at her, “I should be home before you need to take Gus to school or I can take him.”

“We can talk tomorrow morning.  I am guessing you won’t get much sleep tonight so we can see how tired you are in the morning.”  Ronni turned and carried Aaron  down the hall.  Brian instantly had his hands everywhere on Justin. They barely made it to the room before they had their clothes off.  They made love fast and furiously and then just laid together.  They didn’t talk, they just touched and kissed until they fell asleep. 

When the alarm went off at 4:15, they still lay face to face.  “Sunshine, you don’t have to come to the airport.  In fact it makes no sense for you to make that long ride.  Stay home with the boys, please.”

“But,...” Justin looked at Brian’s face and knew he was right. As Brian showered, Justin packed up a few of Brian’s last minute things and then he slipped a picture of the boys with him sitting on the sofa.  He missed him already. 

As Brian and Justin walked down the steps, Brian got a text from his driver.  He would be there in ten minutes.  Brian set the suitcases outside the door and then came back in and took Justin in his arms. “I’ll call you when I land.  Fuck, I hate leaving you so soon after….well, after everything that’s gone on. I just took responsibility for my son and I am leaving.”

“Well, I hope you think of him as our son.  You would do the same for Aaron.  And I have plenty of help.  Veronica is here and now we will have Tracy, not to mention Em and James. I’ll be spoiled by the time you get home.”

“I hope you have lots of time to paint.  I can’t wait to see the one of the boys finished.” Brian kissed him, letting his tongue slide over Justin’s until they both were nearly crazy, just as they heard the car pull up.  “Damn! I love you, Sunshine.  I will talk to you when I am settled in my hotel.”

“Come back to us soon, Brian. I love you.” They kissed once more and by the time Brian went outside, the driver had his bags in the car and they drove away.

Justin knew it didn’t pay to go back to bed. Without Brian the bed would be too lonely.  He almost got in bed with Gus but he didn’t want to risk waking him. Instead he pulled on sweats and a jacket.  He scrawled a note to Ronni that he was in the studio and he would be back in before she had to leave with Gus.

For the next three hours he worked on the painting of the boys. He was surprised when the alarm on his phone went off.  He threw his brush in a jar of cleaner and rushed back to the house.

“Daddy Justin, I was scared you were gone, too.” Gus threw himself at Justin’s legs. 

“Oh, Gus, I’m not going anywhere.” Justin picked him up and Gus wrapped his arms tightly around his neck. “I was just out at the studio painting.” Gus sniffed a few times.  “Have you had breakfast yet?”

Ronni smiled over at him, “He asked for scrambled eggs and they are just done.  I put some strawberry preserves on your toast.”

Gus  bounced back quickly now that he felt secure, “Yummy! I love strawberry.”

After Justin set Gus on a stool by the counter he glanced around, he saw Aaron asleep in his cradle and he could hear Tracy in the laundry. He was just going to ask Ronni if she had talked to James and Emmett this morning when the door behind him opened and the two men walked in.  He loved seeing Em so happy although this morning he seemed to be walking a bit slowly.

Ronni watched him and just shook her head but Justin saw the corners of her mouth go up.  He knew she was happy that her son was so happy.  And so their routine began without Brian.  They talked to him most mornings, at least for a few minutes while Gus ate breakfast and Brian was eating lunch.  Tracy was fitting in nicely.  She was an excellent cook.  Justin found out she was in culinary school which got Emmett’s attention also. He was working on his catering service and Tracy was very interested in helping as long as it didn’t interfere with her job and school work.

It was after the boys were in bed at night that Justin felt alone.  Brian had been gone a week and Justin was only sleeping a few hours a night.  He tended to fall asleep with Gus but he would wake up about midnight, after sleeping for about four hours and then he would go out and paint. He would doze on the sofa when he just couldn’t stay awake and then go back  in the house in time for Gus’ breakfast.

It was about 3:00 a.m. and Justin had just dropped onto the sofa.  He had finally finished the commissioned painting.  By the end of next week he should be able to pack it up and ship it.  As he began to doze he heard his phone.  He grabbed for it, hoping Brian was calling him before a morning meeting. As soon as he glanced at his phone, he knew it wasn’t Brian.  It was an unknown number but he answered it anyway.

“Hello?”  He heard what sounded like sniffling.  “Is someone there?”

“I was told this was Brian’s phone.  Is Brian there?”

“Who is this?”

“This is Claire.  I’m his sister.  I need to talk to Brian. Are you his….I don’t know what to call you.”

“Yes, I need Brian.  It is just terrible, I don’t know what we are going to do.”

“Claire, take a breath and tell me what is going on.”

“It’s our mom.  She had a stroke last week and now they tell us,” for the first time Justin realized she was drunk.  “She needs to leave the hospital soon and I don’t know where she is going.  I don’t have room for her and I have too many steps.  She can’t be alone.  I don’t know what to do.” He could hear her take another drink.  “Brian needs to do his part for a change.  I always have her. What’s your name? Jason?”

“Justin.  I’m Justin.”

“Is Brian there? I need to talk to…”

“Brian is out of the country for work.  He’ll be back in about a week.  I will have him call…”

“No, she needs to leave tomorrow.  What are you going to do?”

“Claire, it’s 3:00 in the morning.  Where is Joan? What hospital?”  She said the hospital name.

“I’ll call in the morning when there are people to talk to.”

“Justin, you need to take her.  I can’t do it anymore.  I have my own problems.  The hospital will call you in the morning.” The line went dead.

Justin stared at the phone.  He hoped this was a dream.  He was going to go to sleep and in the morning he was sure there would be no record of a call from an unknown number.  This just had to be one more bad dream because he was sleeping alone.