- Text Size +

Chapter 11 


“Are you still sleeping?” Gus whispered loudly as Justin’s eyes fluttered open. 

“Good morning, Gus.” Justin pulled the little boy close as he wrapped his arms around Justin’s neck.

“I’m so glad you are home.”

“I am very glad to be home, too.”

“Am I invited to this snuggle fest.” Brian said, peeking over Justin’s shoulder.  

“Daddy, you moved.  How did you get over there? You were over here,” he pointed behind his small body.

“I was a little chilly so I asked him to come warm me up,” Justin jumped in.

“Did it work?” Gus asked.

“It definitely did.” As Justin said this, Brian pulled Justin’s pants into place, and then his own.  “I better go check on Aaron.” Justin started to get up but Gus put a hand on his shoulder.

“Ronni got him a while ago.  I am so glad you are home but I will miss Grandma and Molly.  I wish they always lived here.”

“Well, you will see them again tomorrow when they come for Thanksgiving and I think Molly will stay for a few days.”

“Grandma can’t stay?”

Brian smiled at Gus, “I think your grandma has a friend she wants to spend a couple days with.”

“Well, I’m her friend, too.” Brian and Justin had to laugh at Gus’ pouty face. He then went directly into, “I’m hungry.  Are you hungry? I bet Ronni is making breakfast.”

“Why don’t you run down and tell her we will be down in a couple minutes.  I will make sure Daddy J feels Ok and then we will be down.”

Gus was barely out the door when Brian ran his hand under Justin’s shirt.  “I think you feel great but how’s your headache.”

Justin turned to face Brian, kissing him. “It is actually barely there.  I think Len was telling the truth.  I don’t think he had any intention of killing me.  I think he’s an idiot but he knew the easiest way to get you upset was through me.”

“Well, it worked. I think they should put him in a cell with that shit spraying.” Justin gave him a look, “We better get up.  We can come back up and shower after breakfast.”

“And maybe have a workout?”

“I’m counting on that.”

After breakfast with the boys, Brian and Justin walked back to their room and undressed before Brian followed Justin into the shower. Justin picked up a bar of soap and began to slowly run it over Brian’s chest.  Soon he put the soap down and began to  move his hands over the slippery skin. He brought his hands up to Brian’s face and brought it down so he could kiss him. Brian’s arms encircled Justin and ran his hands down Justin’s back and rested on Justin’s ass, pulling him close.

Brian dropped his head on Justin’s shoulder, “It is so good to have you here in my arms.  I really want to wrap you in bubble wrap and not let you leave my side.”

“Brian, you know I am safe in the house.”

“We thought you were safe in the house.” Now Brian picked up the soap and ran it over Justin’s back and then his ass, continuing to add pressure as both of their cocks grew harder. As their mouths fused once more Brian dropped the bar and he began to gently massage Justin’s pink bud.

“Brian, I need you.  I need you, now.” Justin turned and supported himself against the glass and Brian, holding onto his hips, slipped in. He heard Justin sigh. Brian was not in the mood for slow sex.  He began to move fast and furious and within moments they both cried out as they hit climax together. Brian leaned against him pressing him tightly against the glass and stayed there for a few moments. 

“Can we stay here all day?” Brian said in his ear.

“I would love to but there is too much to do today,” Justin turned into Brian.

“Sunshine, you are not going to do anything today except play with our boys and nap.”

“Brian, I have to help.  We are having twenty people for dinner tomorrow.”

“And we have a caterer, a culinary student, and our house manager that can all do that.”

“I know but...Bri, I need to get things back to normal. James needs to see me back to normal.”

“It is just like you to put everyone else first. Just promise to take it easy and if I see you pushing yourself, I will make you.”

“I love you, Brian. I love you because you take care of me, even when I don’t need taking care of.” They finished rinsing off and dressed for the day.  

“In case you have forgotten, I love you, too, Sunshine.  I just can’t imagine going on if you weren’t here.”

“But you would because we have two beautiful boys that would need their daddy. Now lets go see what Ronni has for us to do. Oh, and don’t forget the doctor is coming now too.”

By the end of the day,  Justin was tired but he felt good.  He hadn’t had a headache all day and, as the day went on, he saw Gus relax back to his normal self. It was after 10:00 when the house went quiet.  Ronni and Tracy were getting up early so it was just Brian and Justin by the fire with a hot toddy. They quietly talked about the next day when Brian felt Justin drift away.

“Sunshine, where’d you just go?”

“I need to go up to the studio.  I don’t want to have that hanging over me.  I need to go up there and chase away all that negativity.  I love that space.  It is so perfect for me to work in.  The lighting is amazing.  And James needs to know I’m good with it.”

“Let me go with you.”

“You don’t have to.  I will be fine.”

“I need to.  I keep picturing you on the floor. Your skin was so red.” Brian shivered. “I was so scared.”

Justin stood and offered his hand to Brian.  “We have both had to face too much. But you know what?”

As they walked toward the door Brian put an arm around his shoulders, “What, Sunshine?”

“We have made it through my father and your mother.  I think we are in for good things, a good life.  I mean look at our boys.  No matter how much is thrown at us, they are always there to show us what is good in our life.”

“Yes, they do.” 

They entered the studio.   Justin went right over to the remote and picked it up. He pushed the power button and stood there, looking at the fan system defiantly. He took a deep breath and only smelt a flow of fresh air. 

“Let me sketch you.  Just relax.  Turn on TV if you want or listen to some music.” Brian stretched out on the sofa and picked up the TV remote.  He flipped through channels and without thinking about it started watching a nature documentary with beautiful scenery.  Justin watched him evaporate into the show. He worked quickly and started at Brian’s feet propped on an ottoman. He drew up those amazing long legs.  He could feel them in his mind, the fine hair that covered them as it ran over his own legs. By the time his sketch was ready for Brian’s face, Brian was sound asleep.  Justin drew each plain and curve of the perfect face and when he looked at the whole image, he realized the face he had drawn, although it looked like Brian, had a child’s look to it somehow.  It reminded him of Gus when he was sleeping. It just showed him how many demons Brian lived with when he was awake but when he could let himself go…. How could his parents….how could the Kinney’s treat him like that. They didn’t deserve him.

“Brian, let’s go to bed.” He sat next to Brian and gently shook him. “Hey, it’s midnight.  We have a full day tomorrow.” 

Brian’s eyes fluttered open and he smiled a gentle, sweet smile, so much like Gus. “Sorry, I fell asleep.” He wrapped his arms around Justin and pulled him in, kissing him on the forehead. “At least you didn’t have to tell me to stop moving,” he smiled at Justin.

“No, you were the perfect subject.” Justin said as he stood and moved toward the door.  He picked up the remote and turned off the ventilation system before flipping the light switch and moving down the stairs.

“Sunshine, what would you think of connecting the upstairs of the house to the studio?”

“I mean I can do the steps but it would make it simpler for the boys to pop in.  Wouldn’t it take some major structural additions?”

“I’ve been thinking that maybe we could just add a walkway along the back of the house. I think we could have a window in the studio changed to a door and then a walkway to the window in the hall.”

“I like that idea.” Justin moved through the house and back up the stairs to their bedroom. They peeked in on both boys who were sound asleep and then they stripped and got in bed.

“I didn’t even look at the picture you drew.” Brian said as they lay side by side.

“I think I am going to paint it.  You can see it when I am done. Goodnight, love.” Justin lay his head so he could hear Brian’s heart thumping.

Brian tightened his arms around him, “Goodnight, Sunshine.”


Tracy and Ronni woke before 6:00. They worked side by side, Ronni focused on the side dishes while Tracy finished up a couple desserts.  It was rare that it was just the two of them in the busy kitchen and their friendship had cooled a bit since the interaction about Justin.  They had been polite but each had kept their distance but this week they had worked together helping with the boys and now they were getting ready to feed a houseful of people.

“I take it you have come to your senses?”

“Well, that is questionable but,” she smiled, “if you are talking about Justin, yes. If only I could know a man cares about me as much as Brian and Justin care about each other.”

“They do have a love that is rarely seen. I think Jamie and Emmett have something special, too.  I have never seen my son so in love and watching Emmett protect him this week, when he was feeling so low, showed me he will watch out for him when I can’t.”

“And you, are you in love, Veronica?”

“Oh, I wish you could answer that for me.  I do care about this man a lot.”

“This man? He has to have a name.” Tracy draped an arm around Ronni’s shoulder.

Ronni smiled, “His name is Dante.  Dante D’Angelo.  His name means steadfast angel and oh he is that.” The smile that lit up her face told Tracy all she needed to know.

“Remember what Brian and Justin said.  He is welcome here.  If I had someone I loved, I would be spending every night I could with him.”

“Well, he has a life and he travels for his company.  He has done well for himself and one of the offices is in Chicago so he spends some time there.”

“And does he own a home here?”

“He actually owns a house in Chicago right now and rents a place here.”

“Well, I am anxious to meet this man. We should have a fun group of people around today,” Tracy said with a little excitement in her voice. I told my friends that there would be a fun group.”

“Did you have a chance to check all the bedrooms upstairs?”

“I did.  All the beds have fresh sheets and the bathrooms have towels just in case someone wants to spend the night.  No one has an excuse to drive tipsy when we have plenty of room between the house and the poolhouse. If my friends choose to stay overnight I told them they could have the poolhouse.”  Tracy glanced at her phone.  

Ronni had noticed Tracy’s phone had been very active all morning.  “Who are you ignoring today? I have seen you answer a couple texts but you are ignoring most of them.  Are they from your family?”

“I did text Happy Thanksgiving to them earlier.”

“Then who wants your attention now? Is there someone you haven’t told me about?” As Ronni said it she saw Tracy’s expression change.  What is it, Trace?”

“Damn, I was trying to ignore it, hoping he would just go away.”

“Who, Tracy?” Now Ronni had more concern.

“It’s my ex.  He is trying to be sweet.  He figured I didn’t have any place to be today so he invited me to his parents.”

“Well, I hope you told him you have plans that he can’t match.” Ronni said flippently but then she looked into Tracy’s eyes. “Tracy, you aren’t actually thinking about doing that are you? You told me he was cruel.  He used to beat you.  You know that hasn’t changed, right?”

“He has completed his anger management and….Ronni, he has been very sweet. He told me he was sorry.”

“You didn’t tell him where you lived did you?”

“I didn’t but….”

“Tracy, but what?”

“He said he knows where I live. I don’t think he knows exactly where I am but I do think he has an idea what area I live in.”

“Tracy, you are playing with fire. Block him.  Change your number.  Remember one of the reasons you liked this job in the beginning was because the place does have protection. You aren’t in a place alone.”

“I know but now I am wondering…”

“Ronni, oh Tracy you’re here, too. Happy Thanksgiving!“ Gus rushed in and hugged both of them around the waste. Is the turkey in the oven?  Is it cooking?”

“Look, silly, it is right here.”  Tracy picked him up and showed him the unbaked turkey on the counter behind them.

Gus pulled a face, “We can’t eat it that way.”

“No, you are right.  I am putting it in the oven right now.”

“Will it be ready on time?”

“Yes, Gus.  It should be done around noon and we aren’t eating until 1:00.  What would you like for breakfast?”

Can I have cereal?” Gus asked as he climbed onto one of the stools, watching Tracy put the big bird into the oven.

“You may have cereal but you might like one of these.” Ronni showed Gus a plate of freshly made cinnamon rolls.  “Tracy made these last night and baked them this morning.”

“Oh, yes please.”  As Gus pulled the first round off of the roll, Brian, Justin , and Aaron arrived in the kitchen. 

Brian held a smiling Aaron as he took his first sip of coffee. “Come here, beautiful boy,” Ronni said as she took him out of his daddy’s arms.  “Let’s put you in your seat and give you a bit of the cinnamon roll along with some fruit of course.”

“Brian, do you want one of those?”  Justin asked as he got out two plates.

“Of course, otherwise Gus will be mad when I eat his.” He ruffled Gus’ hair and then acted as if he was going to take his breakfast but Gus slapped his hand and Brian hugged him tight, kissing his cheek. “It is all yours, Gus.”

Justin set a roll in front of Brian and then in front of an empty stool where he sat down on the other side of Gus.  When Brian had finished eating and was putting his dish in the dishwasher, Ronni, inconspicuously, pointed into the laundry room and they both slipped out of the room. “What’s up, Ronni? You want me to give you away at your wedding?”

“Be quiet, Brian.  This is serious.” Ronni pulled some dried towels out of the dryer.

“Sorry, Ronni.  What is it?”

“I have already texted Jamie about this but I wanted to let you know too. Tracy is thinking about seeing her ex.  It is the holiday season and she is feeling alone.  Her family doesn’t want her around and he has started contacting  her saying he’s changed.  We know that is bull.”

Brian was serious now.  “I am not sure what I can do but thanks for letting me know.  Maybe Justin can figure a way to approach the subject.”

“No, Brian, you need to talk to her.  You know what it is like to have to make a family rather than be with your own.”

“I never thought of it that way but I do have a family now.” 

“Brian, she has met your mother.  She knows you had to work at it but look at the family you have made. I think it will be best if it comes from you. Of course, she may totally ignore you.  Jamie will check that security is in place and he will wait at the gate and lock it when the last one arrives.”

“Ronni, you are a good friend.  I will ….”

“This is where you two are.  What’s going on?” Tracy walked in and  picked up a couple towels Ronni had just folded.

“I will take all of these into the kitchen,” Ronni took the towels from her and left Brian standing there in front of Tracy.

“Oh, I guess I know what’s going on now. She told you about my texts this morning.”

“Tracy, she is just concerned for you.”

“She can be very nosey.”

“Maybe a little but we both know her heart is in the right place.” Brian shuffled, not really knowing what to say.  “This is usually something I would pass off to Sunshine but Ronni is a wise woman.  Trace, I know I can’t tell you what to do but I can tell you when Justin was gone and I didn’t think I would ever see him again. I realized no one is better than the wrong one. I know it is different but, don’t settle.  I spent a couple years at Jenn’s for the holidays.  I knew I was loved there and I wasn’t just looking for a physical fix.  Don’t settle for someone who might make you feel good for a minute but leaves your heart and maybe your body, aching.”

“But Brian, this is so different. I love him.  He isn’t dead and he’s changed.  He went through the classes he needed to take.”

Brian put his hand on Tracy’s shoulder, “Tracy, you are a grown woman.  I can’t tell you what to do but think about what he’s done to you in the past and did he WANT to take those classes to become a better person or did he need to take those classes to stay out of trouble. You are so young and talented. You have time to find someone who truly only wants to do what is best for you.”  Brian kissed her cheek.  “Just be careful.  We need you here.”

“I….I will be careful.  I need to go check on dinner.”  With that Tracy rushed out.


By the time Brian was back in the great room, Emmett was in the kitchen and although he didn’t see James, he was sure he was around, checking on security. Justin saw Brian go toward his office and he followed him.  “What is going on? First Ronni and then Tracy.”  Justin kissed him and put his arms around Brian’s waist.

“Sure you just wanted me to feel that amazing cock of yours pushing against me so I want you so much I can taste you.” With that Brian crushed his mouth against Justin’s.  

“Wow, and now I’m supposed to think straight?” Justin continued to lean against Brian. “So what’s up?”

“Tracy’s ex is trying to get her back.  James is going to stay at the gate until everyone arrives and then set all the alarms and stuff.”

“Why would she put herself through that again? Everyone knows people like that don’t change.”

“Well, it is not so easy to get your heart to change either.  It’s the holidays and she doesn’t have a family that wants her around.”

“And Ronni knew you’d understand that.”

“I wanted you to talk to her but, ya, Ronni knew I could understand.”

 “Are you going to call your mother today?” Justin asked.

“I don’t know.  I usually do on Thanksgiving but I just had her on my property for almost two months. I think I have had more than enough time with my family. I don’t think I will.”

“Did you talk to Claire? Is she going to be with your mom?”

“Actually, Claire is spending the day with her new man and the boys are with their father so I guess Catherine Joan is on her own. She’ll have her help in at some point today.” Brian kissed him again. “Damn, I would love to do this all day but, I have to send a note to Ted and the others coming from the office about the security check.”

“Ya, I am going to try to get Aaron, and maybe Gus to take a little nap and maybe get 20 minutes myself.”

Brian stroked Justin’s cheek, “That sounds like a great plan. I will see you in a little while.” He kissed him lightly before Justin let go of Brian and walked out of the office.  

Justin was surprised at how fast Gus and Aaron dozed off on the king sized bed in the master.  Once he knew they were asleep, he got up and moved out of the room.  It was 11:30.  He took out his phone and called Joan’s house.  

“Hello,” Joan’s clipped voice came over the phone.  

“Happy Thanksgiving.  Brian just told me you would be having lunch alone today and I wanted to …”

“Make sure I was miserable? Well, I am.  My neighbor is bringing me lunch but I don’t know what she will make.”

“I am sure Mrs. Connor will make an excellent meal.” Damn, why did he say that?

“How do you know Mrs. Connor? Let me guess that son of mine came to talk to her.  That makes a lot of sense.  That is how he got some of his information.  Has he found him yet? I am guessing he will look for that poor excuse for a man.”

“Joan, he hasn’t decided what he will do yet.” Justin talked a little bit longer to her responses of grunts. “Well, I need to go.  Our guests will be coming soon.  Gus is very excited.” There was a short pause. “That boy has ….” she stopped but Justin really thought he heard a little softness in her voice. “I’ll send you pictures now and then, if you would like.”

“Well, I guess it won’t hurt anything.”

“A person is only a baby once.  I bet Gus reminds you of Brian at that age.  I would love to see what he looked like as a baby.”  Silence.  “Well, have a nice day, Joan.” Justin put his phone away.  He wasn’t sure why he called her.  She just was apathetic about everything.  Well, he wasn’t going to think about her.  The first guests would be coming at any time now so he checked on the boys and after changing his shirt and moving Aaron to his crib, he and Gus went down to start the party.  

By 12:30 the house was buzzing. They had the dinner room table set as well as the set up in the great room Father Tom and the doctor were entertaining Gus or Gus was entertaining them.  Tracy’s friends from culinary school were helping in the kitchen and Ted and Blake along with others from Kinnetik were chatting by the fireplace.  Jenn and her friend, Tucker Martin were getting to know Cynthia and her date while Molly walked around with Aaron in her arms.


Emmett kissed James as he arrived at the house after setting the security after the last guest arrived. They joined Dante, Ronni’s friend, while she helped with getting dinner organized.

Finally, dinner was ready and Ronni directed everyone to find their seat.  Name cards had been placed at a seat making sure couples or two friends were near each other so everyone had a friend nearby but also had someone new to get to know. 

Brian and Justin stood in the one area they could see both tables of people.  Justin started, “We are going to have everyone move through the kitchen in a buffet line in a few minutes but first I just want to thank all of you for joining us today.  I know what it is like to spend a holiday alone and this is just much more enjoyable so welcome and please, if you need anything please feel free to ask.”

“You all know this year Gus and I got Justin back in our lives and then Aaron joined our family.  And there is nothing I could be more thankful for. Now I am not going to go around the room and make you all say what you are thankful for but while we are enjoying this feast so many helped prepare, maybe tell someone about something you are thankful for.  I know I have never felt more love than I have this year and for that, I am thankful.”  Brian lowered his head and kissed Justin before turning the meal over to Ronni.

The next two hours were filled with food, laughter, and building new friendships. As people left the table they all seemed to gravitate to different areas.  There was a movie started in the media room and music playing in the great room. Brian and Justin moved around and mingled but everytime they were apart for more than a few minutes they found each other again, just to touch or share a quick kiss as they moved on.  

At one point Justin stopped by Gus who was again monopolizing Father Tom’s time. Tom stood and put a hand on Justin’s shoulder.  “This has been wonderful.  I can’t remember the last time I have had such a great time.”

 “I hope you know you don’t need to stay with him,” he nodded toward Gus.

“I enjoy it.  I hate that because of some bad priests the rest of us have gotten such a bad reputation. The one thing I regret about being a priest is not being able to have a child of my own.  And because of said reputation, I have to be extremely careful about being in the presence of children.”

“I had never thought of it like that.  Well, if you ever have the urge to play cars  or play house or watch cartoons, give us a call.  Gus would love a play date.”

“Father Tom, are you going to play more?” Gus asked.  “Hey, Daddy J, I love company.” He hugged Justin and Justin lifted him up and kissed him.  

“You haven’t had dessert yet, have you?”  Gus’ face lit up and he shook his head.  “Well, why don’t you go over to the kitchen and ask Tracy’s friend Gracie to help you get whatever you choose.”  Gus kissed Justin’s cheek as Justin set him down.  “Tom, why don’t I show you my studio,” Justin said, putting his hand on the small of Tom’s back leading him out to the steps.

Once they were upstairs, Tom said, “So this is where your incident occurred?”

“It is but, don’t worry, it is safe now.”

“Yes, I heard that.  I am so thankful you are back to good health.”

“Yes, I have to regain a little stamina but other than that, I’m good. Tom, have you heard anything from the feelers you sent out about Kevin?”

“I have to admit, I have not had a lot of time to look yet.  I have talked to a couple of my friends at the seminary but I haven’t heard anything back.  How is Brian handling this?”

“He hasn’t had a lot of time to absorb it.  I think any relationship he had with his mother is now over.”

“I can understand that.”

“I called Joan this morning.”

“You did?” Tom looked surprised.

“I don’t want to break off the entire relationship with her until Kevin is located.  If we need any information I want her to not be completely pissed.” 

“That is very smart of you and very kind.  She is a bitter woman.  I shouldn’t tell you this but she did call me to take her confession this week.  I don’t see her ever changing but I have seen a glimmer of honesty on her face and I think, although she will never change, she is coming to an awareness that she must own her own actions.”

“I am hoping she will send me Brian’s baby pictures.  I don’t expect there to be many.  I have seen one of Jack holding him as an infant but that is the only one I have seen of him until he was in Jr. High when he spent a lot of his time at the Novotny’s.”

“Yes, Debbie is a colorful character but she has a heart of gold.” Father Tom smiled at the thought of the colorful woman.

“Well, I better join my guests.  Thanks for trying to help us.”

“Thank you for giving me such an amazing day.”

“Stay as long as you like. I think we have enough food for the next several days.  Before you leave please be sure to take leftovers with you.  Tracy and her friends were going to pack to go bags.’

The two men went back into the house and Brian appeared out of nowhere at Justin’s side.  “Where did you go?” Brian had worry in his voice.

Justin put a hand on either side of his face and kissed him. “I am fine, darling. I’m sorry.  I never thought you wouldn’t have seen us leave. I was just showing Tom my studio and giving him a break from Gus. What did we miss?” Justin slipped one arm in Brian’s as they walked further into the house.  “Have you talked to Dante, yet?”

“Just a little polite conversation.  Let’s go give him the third degree and see if he is worthy of her,” Brian said with mock strenuous.

“Ha, we can’t afford to lose Ronni and you know she would be out of here if you did that and from what I can tell, Dante could easily support her so she doesn’t need us.” Justin led the way across the room.

Brian draped his arm around Ronni’s shoulders as he so often did, “So, D’Angelo, what is it you do for a living?”  Brian had already completely reviewed his history from his humble, rough upbringing in Jamaica to his education in the U.S.  He was a sharp business man that Brian knew he would like.”

“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor,” he nodded at both of them separately, “Thank you for the invitation today.  You know how to throw a great party and know how to make all your guests feel very welcome.”

“Well, we have told Ronni many times you are welcome to visit any time you are around,” Justin commented. 

They talked, getting to know each other, until Emmett walked up, “Excuse me, gentlemen.  Can I talk to you for a minute?” He took Justin’s arm and they walked off. “Jamesy asked me to find one of you.  Have you seen Tracy?”

“No, Em.  Where is James?”

“A man came to the gate, looking for Tracy.  He, of course, told the guy he didn’t know any Tracy and sent him away but he is still hanging out by the road.  One of the cameras is focused on him but he doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.”  Emmett led Justin to the small back security office where James sat.  He had a close up screenshot he had captured.

“Hey, Justin.  Have you ever seen a picture of Tracy’s ex?”

“I think that’s him.  Let me see.” Justin pulled out his phone and looked on a media site where he knew there were pictures of Tracy with him.  He held the phone up to the screen and although the guy’s hair was longer now, it was definitely him.”

“As long as he stays where he is, we can’t do anything about it, except warn Tracy. Thanks, James, and sorry you have had to work on a holiday. He doesn’t look like he is going to try to break in.  Come enjoy yourself.  You can keep an eye on him on your phone.”

“Don’t rush him off, Justin.  I have plans for him right now.” As he said it, he straddled James’                                                     lap and waved Justin off.

Justin moved back to the kitchen and located Tracy. “Hey, Justin, this is a great party.  My friends are enjoying themselves.”

“I’m glad.  You have wonderful friends.  Tracy, I need to tell you something. Your ex has placed himself outside of the gate. He somehow figured out where you were.”

“Oh, I’ll go talk to him. He has been texting and I haven’t been responding.”

“Please don’t go out there. Can’t you see, he is already getting control over you, again? Do you really want to feel like you have come or respond every time he calls?”

“Justin, don’t you do that with Brian all the time?”  Tracy was a bit defensive.

“The difference, Tracy, is that we have made a commitment to each other and if I ever texted and told him I was doing something he would give me my space and then it is up to me to let him know if I will be longer so he doesn’t worry.  And you know with Brian he worries because he loves me, not because he can’t stand not being in control over what I was doing.”

One of Tracy’s friends, Mark, walked up. “Hey, Tracy, is something wrong? You look so serious.”

“Oh, it’s my ex.  He is trying to get me to come out. He says he wants to get back together.” 

“Tracy, after all you have told me about him and you are thinking about going back to him?”

“Listen to him, Tracy.  Mark is a true friend.” Justin patted his shoulder and then slipped away.  He had seen the way Mark looked at Tracy.  He hoped Tracy could see this is what a good man looked like and how someone who cared really acted.

Brian’s arms crept around Justin’s shoulders and Justin rested against him.  “You are a hard man to keep track of today.”

“Sorry, Tracy’s ex is at the gate.  Well near the gate.”

“Tracy’s not going out to talk to him, is she?”

“I hope I showed her how wrong that would be and right now Mark is talking to her and I think he will get through to her.  He really cares about her.”

“Hell, he wants to be under her skirt.” Brian said softly.

“Such a romantic.  Good thing I know you don’t want under anyone’s skirt.” Justin turned around and dropped his head to Brian’s chest.

“You need to rest,” Brian walked him to the sofa and made him sit. “Relax for a few minutes. Close your eyes.  I will make sure the doctor says goodbye when he leaves but I think everyone else is staying until later.”

Justin didn’t argue.  He lifted his face and Brian kissed him before throwing a blanket over him and walking away.

Brian found James, wanting to check on the ex situation.  He found James looking at his phone, checking the cameras.  “Is he still out there?”

“He is.  I can tell from his behavior, he is getting really agitated.”

“Where’s Tracy?”

“I think she is in the hot tub with her friends.”

“Where’s her phone?”

“It is on the counter. And trust me, it is blowing up.”

Brian walked over and tried to open the phone.  

“Brian, that is not really proper,” James said.  “It is her private…”

“She lives in my home and her ex is a threat to my family right now.  I want to know what he is saying.” 

Ronni walked up, “Is that Tracy’s phone?”

“Ya, why?” Brian asked as Ronni took it and then handed it back. He could now see her texts.

“I have seen her open it a hundred times. But I didn’t do that and I will never do that for you again.  I know this is for her safety.”

Brian started looking at the texts with James looking over his shoulder. He forwarded several of the texts to his phone and then from his phone he texted it to the detective on Justin’s case.  He then walked to the office and waited for a call.  Moments later his phone rang.

“What the hell is going on over there, Kinney?”

Brian explained who had written the texts and that he had just completed court mandated anger management.  “I don’t think he realizes she lives here.  I think he thinks she is just here for the day. You can tell from the texts he has gotten angrier and angrier as time has gone on.  Now a couple of my guests are getting ready to leave and I don’t know if I can trust his stability.  James and I will go out but I thought if you had any connections out here….”

“Do not go out there.  I think someone will be there in about five minutes.  If the guy moves on, the officer will stay outside your place to make sure he has really left.  If he won’t go, he will be arrested for ….well I am sure he is doing something to do with his anger management.”

“Brian, a police officer is out front,” James said as he entered the office. 

Brian nodded at James and said, “The officer is here.”

“Great.  Let me know if you have any further issues.”

“Thank you so much and, Detective, Happy Thanksgiving.”


Brian knew he had to tell Tracy what was going on. As he walked into the kitchen Ronni sidetracked him.  “Jamie told me you have contacted the police.”

“Those texts were threatening not only to her but to all my guests.  I have an obligation to everyone I invited here today.”

“You don’t have to convince me, Brian.”

“How do you think she will react?”

“You wanted Justin to talk to her? Now is the time for him to talk.”

“Thanks, Ronni.  Is she still in the hot tub?”

“She is getting out now.  I will stall her long enough for you to fill Justin in. She will need to change but then she will look for her phone.  I will tell her I put it somewhere and can’t remember where but that won’t last long.”

James walked up and softly said, “The police have pulled up.” James handed the Tablet to him that he had pulled the camera up on and as he did so Brian watched as the police got out of the car and before anyone could decide what was going to happen,  Tracy’s ex who had been pacing by the car reached into the open window and pulled out a gun. Brian and James both caught their breath and before either of them could say anything they saw him aim in the air and pull the trigger. 

 

Everyone in the house gasped at the sound of the shot.  Tracy and her friends rushed in draped in towels and as another shot rang out, the camera turned to snow.  Had the police fired a warning shot? Had Tracy’s ex shot out the camera? They all stood there in fear as several more shots followed and then all was silent.