- Text Size +

Chapter 12


James rushed out the door without thinking about what he was doing. He took cover behind car after car working his way up to the front gate.

“Brian, what is going on?” Justin called across the room as he held Aaron in his arms and looked to see Gus protected by Father Tom. 

Brian rushed across the room and put his arms around Justin and Aaron as Tom made his way over to them with Gus,  “Gus, it’s alright. We are going to go by your dads, Ok?”  Once they got near, Gus rushed to his dads. 

Tom continued out of the room and followed James outside. He saw James ahead of him and followed his lead. As he saw James stop at the edge of the gate. Tom whistled softly to get his attention as he came close to him, not wanting him to surprise him. “Do you have any idea what’s going on?” he whispered.

James brought his mouth close to Tom’s ear.  “A police car, two police officers, one suspect.  Suspect shot first and then lost the camera.”

Tom looked at the gate and getting low on the ground crawled until he could see around it.  Without turning to look at James, Tom, nearly silently, jumped and boosted himself over the gate and dropped on the other side. Immediately ducking behind the bushes. He then saw a police officer sitting up leaning against the car, blood running down his arm.  Tom closed the space between him and the car. “The man?”

“I don’t know.  I’m alright.  Can you see my partner?” the officer asked.

As Tom moved around to the back of the car, James came over the gate.  James went to check the first officer’s arm and Tom looked around the back of the car and saw two men down. Just as Tom got to the second police officer, another police car arrived. Tom checked for a pulse and found one.  He then lifted his hands up and called to the new arrivals, “I’m Father Tom Butterfield.  I was attending the gathering here today.  Both officers need an ambulance.  I have not checked the other man yet.  When James stood, the officers aimed their guns at him but in one hand he was holding up the security credentials showing he was employed here.

One of the new arrivals recognized James, “What happened here?” They were doing first aid on all three men as the ambulance pulled up. That’s when Tom got the gate code from James and jogged back to the house to let everyone in the house know it is safe.


Everyone in the house was in small groups and as the silence outside continued people started getting restless.  “Gus, you take care of Aaron and Daddy J.  I am going to see if I can find out what is going on.”

“Brian,” Justin grabbed him and kissed him.  “Don’t you dare do anything stupid.”

“I won’t.  I will be back in a few minutes. Love you.”

“Damn, Brian, I love you.” Molly moved over and started telling Gus a story, hoping to distract him and herself.

Ronni had told Tracy what was going on and she was beside herself.  She had run to her room and Mark followed her.  “Mark, I should have just gone and talked to him. If I had done that none of this would have happened.”

“Tracy, if you had done that, you may have been out there and we don’t know what has happened yet,” Mark gently put his arms around her. “I don’t want anything to ever happen to you.  Tracy, you deserve so much better than what he did to you. You showed me some of today’s texts. He is dangerous Tracy.”

“But what if he hurt someone?”

“Oh, Tracy, to think you could have been out there with him.” Mark kissed her cheek and then after looking directly into her eyes he whispered, “You did nothing wrong except fall in love with the wrong person. Let me show you what a real relationship should be like.”

“Mark, are you saying….”

“I’m in love with you.  I’ve been in love with you a long time. You don’t have to love me back but at least give me a chance.” 

Tracy moved closer and Mark gave her a light kiss, “I am willing to take this one day at a time and it can take as long as you want it to.”


Brian moved out of the house and let out a sign of relief as he saw Father Tom jogging up. Brian grabbed him and kissed him without thinking about it.  “Thank god.  What happened? Where’s James?”

“He is still up front with the police.  Two police officers and the other guy were all shot but all of them are alive.  An ambulance just arrived.  I’m sure James will be able to tell us more when he comes back.”

“Why did you run after James? What did you think you could do?”

“Right out of high school I joined the Marines.  I was military police.  Whenever there is an emergency I just go into military mode and think about it later. And besides, I have a lot of conversations with the big guy and if it is my time, I’m ready.”

The rest of the evening was a blur.  The doctor had rushed out as soon as Tom and Brian returned to see if he could help and once the ambulance had left he followed them to the hospital since he was supposed to go in soon anyway.  Once Ronni had given James a hug she started putting food out.  Tracy and Mark stayed in her room but the other culinary students along with Jenn helped and soon people were eating and drinking plenty of wine and whiskey.  

Emmett hugged James a long time without saying a word and then they walked back to their house in silence.  Once they arrived home, Emmett looked at James and kissed him.  It was first soft and sweet but then some desperation crept in.  They made it to their bedroom and then frantically removed their clothes and James took Emmett hard and fast before they both dropped onto the bed. They lay facing each other still touching and kissing and then tears began to roll down Emmett’s face.

“I was so scared.  All I could think was my big, strong, beautiful man is going to get killed.  I finally found someone who actually loved me and he…..”

“Emmett, it’s my job but I was careful and I was never in danger.”

“But I didn’t know that?”

“Oh, Em, I will always come back to you.  I love you. I would never be careless.  I know you are waiting for me.” He kissed Emmett adding depth to the kiss, stirring even more emotions in both of them.  When he finally backed off he looked at Emmett’s still damp cheeks.  “Emmett Honeycutt, I wasn’t going to do this yet but, will you marry me.  I mean I want to have a commitment ceremony with you. I want everyone to know that I belong to you and hopefully you want to belong to me.”

“Oh, Jamesy, yes!  A thousand times yes!” Em and James spoke about the future and what kind of ceremony they would have and when.

As their adrenaline returned to normal after the day’s events they began to doze but before they fell asleep, James brought up one more thing.  “Em, we’ve never really talked about it but, I’m hoping that you will have a family with me.  I watch Brian and Justin with their boys and I want to have that, too.”

“Nothing would make me happier,” Em said as he laid his head on James shoulder and they fell asleep.


It was after 11:00 pm when Brian wandered through the house once more.  Every bed in the house was occupied including the Murphy bed in Justin’s studio.  Father Tom volunteered to sleep there feeling completely safe there after talking to Justin up there earlier.  Brian poured himself a glass of brandy.  It wasn’t something he drank often but for some reason it was what he wanted tonight.  

“Do you mind if I join you?” Dante asked, appearing out of the dark hallway leading to Ronni’s room.

“What’s your poison?”

“Whatever you are having is fine.” Brian handed him a glass and gestured to the sectional where they both took a seat.

“I was wondering if we would have a chance to talk.”

“Are you worried about Veronica’s reputation?” Dante smiled.

“Oh, I enjoy breathing too much to cross her,” Brian laughed.

“She is a formidable force isn’t she?”

“We are very fond of her.  We hope she will stay with us for many years. I guess I am hoping she can stay with us if she chooses to stay with you.”

“Well, it would be nice if when I am in Pittsburgh we could be together and right now that isn’t always convenient with the distance between this place and the place I’m renting in the city.”

“Are you attached to your place in the city?”

“No, I mean it is a nice place but it is just a rental.”

“Well, I have several acres here that are not being used. I would be willing to build Ronni a house of her own.  That way she would be close, which her job does require but she would have her privacy to live her own life with you if that’s what she chooses.  I can see a three bedroom with an office and den.  That would give you enough room to work out of the house since your headquarters are actually in Chicago.  And we are willing to work with her time off and things like that.”

“Brian, that is very generous of you.”

“I know when I have a good thing and hiring Ronni and James was one of the best things we have ever done.  Our boys are our world and she is now like a grandmother to them.  By the way, my grandmothers never looked like her.”

“She is a very sexy woman. She is also very intelligent and has a heart of gold.”

“I was also thinking sometime, not tonight, I would like to talk business with you, too.  I think we could help each other out in a couple ways.”

“That sounds like a plan. I will be around for several days. Maybe early next week we can set up a meeting at your office.”

“That sounds good.”

“Angel, who are you talking to?”  Ronni came into the light wearing a filmy nightgown that definitely showed off her assets.

“Coming, Veronica.  Brian and I were just having a drink. Do you want me to bring one back for you?”

“The only thing I need is you,” she said and glided back into her room.

“We will set up something for next week.  Now I know I have a gorgeous woman waiting for me and you have a loving husband warming your bed.”

“Yes, and I think I can finally go to sleep.  Good night, Dante,” Brian stood and offered to take his empty glass.

“Sleep well, Brian.”


Brain entered quietly and undressed before sliding into bed.

“Baby, where have you been?” Justin asked as he rolled against him.

“I didn’t want to wake you. I’m sorry,” he pulled Justin close.  “Well, I would say we had an epic Thanksgiving celebration.:

“I am thankful that everyone is Ok.” 

Brian kissed the tip of Justin’s nose. “I am sorry the officers got hurt but I am happy that Tracy is now free of that asshole.”

Justin pressed his body along the length of Brian’s, “I’ve been laying here thinking about a lot of things. I don’t know how we can up our security and I don’t know if we need to.  I know today wasn’t directed at us but…”

Brian’s mouth moved to Justin’s and, putting a hand behind his head, Brian deepened the kiss. Justin reacted by draping his top leg over Brian’s hip and moving his cock ever so lightly against Brian’s sending a shiver through both of them. “I’ll do whatever it takes for you to feel safe.” Brian whispered in his ear as he grabbed Justin’s leg and pulled him into a position where he had access to Justin. He began to run his fingers behind Justin’s cock and then stroked the perineum until Justin begged for more.

“Please, my love, take me now. I need to be one with you.  We are one in heart and soul.”

Brian thrust his hips and Justin let out a sound of pure pleasure. As their lips and hips brushed against each other.  “Sunshine, you are right, we are one and will be until our lives end here. Our boys are so perfect. You are perfect.” Brian drove in a last time and Justin sent warm, creamy fluid over Brian’s stomach. 

Now it was time for Justin to move ever so slightly as he contracted around Brian’s erection until he, too, released his elixir deep inside him.  “Damn, Brian, how can you touch my very soul.”

“I love you, Brian Kinney and no matter where the future takes us just remember we will go there together.”

“I wouldn’t go anywhere without you, Sunshine.  You and our boys make everything worthwhile. Now, turn over so I can hold you as we go to sleep.”


Tracy and Mark were up early and started making pastries.  A little later their other two friends arrived in the kitchen and by the time the rest of the house started waking, the kitchen was again filled with wonderful aromas. Fresh rolls were layered in baskets and pans full of bacon and sausage were in warming trays along with eggs.  For those who wanted something light there was yogurt and fresh fruit.  Brian and Justin arrived early with the boys and Molly who had slept in with Gus.

“Wow, it’s like a fancy restaurant,” Molly said as she looked at all the food. 

Brian walked over to Tracy and slipped his arm around her waist.  “I just want you to know how happy I am that you are safe.”

“Brian, all that yesterday. It was my fault.”

“No, Tracy, the only thing that you did was try to think that he could change.” He glanced at Mark and softly said, “I think he’s a good guy.  Give him a chance.”

“Ya, I think I will,” she smiled shyly in his direction.

“This food looks beyond amazing.” Justin said as he poured a cup of coffee for Brian and himself.

Soon more people were trickling in, following the scent of food. Ronni and Dante strode out holding hands, not noticing anyone else in the room full of people. And as they sat down with a plate of food they were sharing Emmett and James walked in looking as happy as Ronni and Dante. 

Once Em and James had picked up some food and coffee, they went and sat near Ronni and Dante. “Jamey, you and Em both look very happy this morning.”

“I could say the same for you, Ronni?” Emmett said.

“Mama,” James said as he reached for Emmett’s hand, “I want you to know first.  Emmett and I are going to get married.  Well, as close to married as we can.  We know we want to be together and have a family.  Please, say you are happy for us.  I know you always wanted me to find the right person and….”

“And Emmett is the perfect person for you, Jamey.  I know how much he loves you and I can see your love for him.  Go tell your friends.  It is time to celebrate.”  

As they walked away, Dante brought his mouth to her ear, “We can announce our news, later.  We have the rest of our lives to spend together.” 

“Thank you, Angel.  They deserve this moment.”  Ronni kissed her love and then broke a piece of a croissant off and popped it into his mouth.

“You deserve the world, and I plan to work the rest of my life to give it to you.”

“I don’t want you to work.  I want you to enjoy life with me.”

“Veronica, I plan to do just that.”


A cheer went up as Em and James announced their decision.  Ted and Blake were the first over to congratulate them with others following behind. Brian and Justin hung back, Brian pulling Justin close, “It looks like we have a lot of unions to look forward to.  I don’t know when but I am fairly sure Dante and Ronni are a permanent thing and Ted and Blake are committed,” Justin said as he kissed Brian, lightly.

“They can just see how perfect life is when you are with the right person,” Brian held Justin tightly.  “Remind me to tell you about my conversation with Dante last night.”

“Ya, you talked to him quite a while last night.”

“I think we will be talking more often.  Right now I think we need to mingle before our friends start leaving.”


It was almost noon before the last group left.  Molly was staying until Sunday and Justin insisted Ronni and Tracy take off the rest of the week.  With Molly’s help they would easily take care of the house and the cooking, especially with all the leftovers.  

Over the weekend everyone had a chance to relax.  On Saturday afternoon when the boys were taking their afternoon naps,Brian told Justin about his offer to Dante.  “I think Ronni and Dante will definitely need space of their own and the poolhouse is just too small.  I think the best option is to have a house built in another corner of the property.  We can agree on a price I will pay and Dante can pick up the rest if they want bigger and better.”

“That sounds like a perfect solution,” Justin responded as he rested against Brian on the sofa. “What are you going to do about finding your father?”

“Well, I know Tom is doing some of the legwork and passing it on to the private detective I hired. I told them not to look too hard until the first of the year. I don’t want anything to distract me from celebrating Christmas.  Since I don’t think Lindsay and Mel are coming back for the holiday, I want to be here for Gus.  They told him they would come for Christmas and now it doesn’t sound like they will even be together after Christmas.”

“Well, we will have to make him feel safe and loved.  Hopefully we can set up some calls with them at least.”

“And if they don’t get their shit straightened out I will take full custody of Gus.”

“Can you imagine the house without him in it all the time?” Justin went quiet.

“No, I can’t and I don’t see it happening any time soon.  He loves it here.  He loves being with his brother, not to mention Ronni,” Brian said as he joined Justin in silence. Justin shifted so he was sitting across Brian’s lap and then pulled him down and soon they were stretched out next to each other and silently touched and kissed until they drifted off.  

“Daddies!  Why are you sleeping?”

“We’re sleeping because we knew you were having fun with Aunt Molly and Daddy J needed a nap,” Brian smiled as Gus crawled over them.

“Seems to me you were sleeping, too!” Justin said.  “Don’t let your daddy tell you he wasn’t sleeping.” 

“I don’t always like naps but sometimes I do.  Mommy and Mama used to take naps when I did sometimes. I miss Mommy and Mama.  How many weeks until they come home for Christmas? Can I make a calendar and cross off the days?”

Justin instinctively tightened his arm around Gus and looked at Brian. He nodded and they all sat up, Gus sitting on Justin’s lap. 

“Daddy,” Gus took Brian’s hands, “why are you looking so sad?”

“Well, Gus, I guess I am sad because I think you will be sad.”

“Why will I be sad?”

“Your mommy emailed me and they are so sorry but they aren’t going to be able to come for Christmas.” Brian held his hands tightly as Gus’ lower lip began to quiver.

“But I want to see them.  I love them,” big tears slipped out of his eyes. Brian pulled Gus into his arms and held onto him tightly as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck.  His whole body trembled as he sobbed. Both Justin and Brian’s eyes were teary as Justin put his arms around both of them and they sat that way until Gus loosened his grip on Brian and turned around to face Justin. He crawled over to Justin and hugged him next.

“I’m sorry you are so sad, Gus.  We are sad, too.”

“Why aren’t my mommies coming to see me? Don’t they miss me?”

“Oh, I am sure they do, Gussy.  I am not sure why they can’t come but I am sure it is important.  You know you are important to your moms.  And you are so special to us.”  Justin rocked Gus in his arms for several minutes.  As he did so he could see how angry Brian was.  He was sure there would be an email sent to Europe before the end of the day if he didn’t stop him.  “Brian, don’t do anything until we talk,” Justin said softly.   “Gus, how about we go up to the studio and you can paint a picture for your moms. If we send it to them this coming week they should have it by Christmas. You can tell them how much you miss them.”

“Ok, Daddy J.”

Justin stood with Gus in his arms as Gus wrapped his legs around him. Justin turned to Brian and Brian kissed him.  “Go check on Aaron and let Molly know we are in the studio.”


By bedtime, Gus had come to terms, as much as a five year old can,with the fact he wouldn’t see his moms for Christmas. He had painted two pictures, one for each of his moms and Brian would get them in the mail on Monday. The remainder of the weekend Brian and Justin were amazed at Gus’ resilience. On Sunday evening Brian and Justin, along with Aaron, put Gus to bed together.  

“I have preschool tomorrow?”

“Yes, you have preschool tomorrow.  I think you are going to have lots of fun.  You are going to have special activities until Christmas.” Justin said as he pulled Gus’ pajama top over his head as Brian pulled the blankets back and fluffed up his pillows while Aaron crawled away from him on the bed.  Brian snatched him up and threw him in the air.

“Brian, don’t rile him up.  It is almost time for him to go to bed,” Justin had to smile at Aaron’s expression of pure joy.

Gus got in bed and, handing Aaron to Justin, Brian tucked the blankets  in around him.  “Daddies?”

“Yes, Gus,” Brian responded with a smile.

“I’ve been thinking about my mommies. I miss them so much but, I still have my dads. Some kids don’t have any mommies and daddies or their moms and dads aren’t very nice. And Aaron doesn’t have a mommy but we both have you. I am so lucky I have lots of people that love me.”

“Oh, Gus, you are so right. Your Daddy and I love you. Grandma Jenn and Aunt Molly love you.  Ronni and Tracy love you,” Justin and Aaron hugged Gus and kissed him goodnight.

“Do you think my other grandma, the one that was in the little house, loves me?”

“If she doesn’t she is the one losing out,” Brian kissed him before turning on his night light and walking to the door.  They turned off the light and each threw him one more kiss before shutting the door.

Brian and Justin took Aaron with them to their room and set him on the bed as they both undressed and pulled on shorts and t-shirts.  It was early but, although it had ended up being a relaxing couple days after the excitement of Thanksgiving, they were ready to just relax in their bed.

Aaron crawled up on Justin’s lap and when he snuggled against him, Brian and Justin brought him to the nursery where he grabbed his favorite bunny and immediately fell asleep. Together they returned to the master. 

Justin pulled Brian close, “You know life couldn’t get much better.  Gus is just so amazing.  How did we deserve him? Thank you for bringing him into my life.  It just shows me what an amazing child you were.”

“I was a shit. Oh, and Aaron, how did you and he turn out so amazing?”

“You were just treated that way. I am guessing your heart was just as big as Gus’ but you weren’t allowed to show it.” Justin tugged off Brian’s shirt and in one motion he pulled Brian’s shorts down and pushed him back onto the bed. He dropped to his knees and spread Brian’s legs apart enough so he could slide between them and then as one hand slid under him, Justin took Brian in his mouth as he slipped his finger into him and began to stroke his prostate.

‘Oh, god Justin, I don’t know how you make that feel,” Brian arched as Justin changed the angle of his finger, “OH, so good,” he fought not to climax.  He didn’t want it to end, not yet. Justin knew how to work him.  He would bring him to the very edge and then back off.  He would either remove his mouth or hold his finger still and then he would again let him soar.

Eventually, Brian pleaded with him, “Sunshine, let me …. Oh I need to….” with that Justin began to thrust his finger in and out and began to suck throwing Brian into a major climax. His whole body reacted as he cried out. As he began to come down he grasped at Justin’s t-shirt, pulling him up at the same time he was pulling it off. He pushed Justin onto his back and began to return the favor.  He took it very slow and before he even got near his cock, Justin was desperate for more.  Brian teased and taunted him without taking his dick in his mouth but then at the moment Justin knew he couldn’t hold on, Brian’s mouth lowered onto Justin erection and drained him as Justin thrashed with pleasure. They both collapsed onto the mattress.

For several minutes they laid flat on their backs, fingers laced together just working at breathing normally again. Eventually, Justin shivered and Brian reached down, pulling a blanket over them. “Sunshine, I want to make this a Christmas Gus will never forget.  Let’s have Em and Ronni decorate every inch of the house.  Maybe Gus can pick where he wants the trees.”

“He will love that so much. Brian, maybe now isn’t the best time but, can we just get away for a weekend or maybe for New Year’s Eve?”

“You see if you can line up childcare and leave the rest up to me for New Year’s Eve.”

“Really, Brian? Do you think Gus will be alright with that? If not we can wait until maybe Valentine’s Day.”

“We will talk to him.  If he doesn’t want us to leave we will stay.”

“I will talk to Molly and see if maybe she could come out and maybe Tracy will be willing to spend New Year’s Eve in.  Mark could stay here with her,” Justin said and he moved close to him. His hand trailed down to Brian’s stomach.  “Make love to me, Brian.”  Justin turned over and Brian put his arm around Justin’s waist as he moved into him.

“I love you, Justin,” and with that Brian put all his efforts into making love.


The weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas were full of activities.  Justin talked to Tracy and Molly and they were both willing to stay with the boys.  Mark was going to do his best to come over.  Brian also made sure Emmett and James would be on the property for security, although Tracy’s ex would be locked up for several months if not longer. They had joked he and Len could be cell mates.

Em and Ronni out did themselves and the house was so beautiful.  It smelled of Christmas everywhere.  Gus had decided that four Christmas trees on the main floor was perfect and then one in his bedroom.  There was a tree in the foyer, as well as one in the formal living room, one in the dining room and then a huge one in the great room where they spent most of their time.  He also insisted on small ones in the office and in Justin’s studio. 

Brian took Gus out to buy Justin a gift and then Justin took him out another day after preschool to shop for the rest of the people he loved.  He got Ronni and Tracy each a small gift he picked and he picked out something for his Aunt Molly and Grandma Jenn. As they walked to pay for the gifts Gus stopped, “Shouldn’t we buy my other grandma a present?”

Justin hugged him tightly, “I think that would be very nice.  What do you think you want to give her?”

“Something soft and fuzzy.  Soft and fuzzy always makes me happy but I don’t think she would want a teddy bear.”

“What do you think about getting her a soft fuzzy robe? You like to snuggle in yours after a bath.”

“Oh, yes!  That way she can get a hug everytime she wears it.” 

When they left thirty minutes later, there was a deep rose color robe with matching slippers in a store bag.  Gus insisted on wrapping it himself with Justin’s help and then the next day Justin said he would pick up Gus at preschool and they would drop it off.  

At the last minute, Justin took Aaron with him.  He also had Tracy pack up a basket of goodies for Joan.  He totally understood why Brian couldn’t and probably shouldn’t go visit but he wanted Gus to see kindness should be offered to everyone.  They could explain to him when he was old enough why Brian doesn’t interact with her.

Justin had texted Joan to make sure she was home.  She responded with just what he expected, ‘Where would I be’.

Gus walked ahead of Justin, carrying Aaron up to the door and Gus pushed the doorbell.  “Was this Daddy’s house?”

“Yes, this is where he moved when he was just about your age.”

“I like this little house.”  Gus said as the door opened.  “Merry Christmas!” Gus said as he handed her the big box.

Joan was taken aback.  “Well, what’s this?” 

“It’s a Christmas present, silly. Daddy J has something for you, too,” Gus just walked past her.

“Well, I guess you are coming in,” she stepped to the side letting Justin and Aaron to walk in.

“Merry Christmas, Joan,” Justin said as he entered.  “I’ll just set this basket on the table.  It is just some Christmas sweets that Gus has been helping Tracy make.  Oh, by the way, Tracy says hi.”

Justin was almost sure he saw Joan’s mouth flutter upward for a moment. Aaron started squirming trying to get out of Justin’s arms, “Let the boy down.  My floor is clean.  A girl came in yesterday and vacuumed.”

“Joan, I never doubted that your house was clean.” Justin sat on the sofa and set Aaron down so he could hold himself up using the length of it.

Gus was polite but had to look around a little in the living room.  “Did my daddy really live here?” he looked at her.”

“Of course he did,” she said a little harshly.

Gus continued to roam.  He picked up a piece of paper.  “You kept my picture! And that’s a picture of me and Aaron and Daddy.” He had picked up a framed picture.

Justin smiled, “You framed it.”

“Well, it was time to put a new picture in that frame. And it fit.”

Justin nodded, “It is a great picture. Oh, Aaron, come here.” Aaron had started crawling over to Joan. He was surprised when she lowered her hand and helped Aaron to his feet.

“He has grown.”

“Yes, he is growing too fast. He will be walking soon.” After a few more minutes, he could see Joan was getting uncomfortable.  “We’ll be going.  The boys need lunch and then it will be nap time.

As Justin picked up Aaron, Gus came over and opened his arms for a hug.  Joan awkwardly bent and gave him a little hug.  “Oh before we go, can you open your present? I want to see if you like it.”

“Oh, well, I guess.” Joan picked the package up off the table and carefully opened it.  As the paper fell away she lifted the lid and pulled the tissue paper away.

“I helped Daddy J wrap it.”

Joan couldn’t resist reaching in and touching the soft fabric of the robe and as she pulled it out, Gus took the box off her lap and set it on the floor by her feet.

“I am sure the robe will fit but if you prefer a different color or if the slippers don’t fit, there is a gift receipt in the bottom of the box,” Justin informed her.

“I picked out the color,” Gus offered.

Joan patted his shoulder.  “It will do.”

“Isn’t it soft? We talked about it and thought it was like getting a hug so maybe sometimes when you put it on you can think of me giving you a hug.”

Joan was now very quiet.

“Ok, Gus, we need to go now.” Justin directed Gus toward the door.  It was obvious Joan wasn’t going to say anything more.  “Thanks for letting us stop by.  Gus insisted he had to bring it himself. I’m glad you put up the picture.  Enjoy the robe.” With that they left Joan alone.

After putting the boys in their carseats and pulling out onto the road Gus said, “Daddy, she always seems sad or angry.  Why is she always mad?”

“Well, Gus, maybe she forgot how to be happy.”

“I will never forget how to be happy.  I am sad my mommies are so far away but I still have things to be happy about.”

“Oh, Gus, you could teach all the adults so much.”


That night as Justin told Brian about the trip, he rested his head on Brian’s chest and listened to his heart beat.  “She just won’t allow herself to be happy. I am starting to think she has forgotten how to feel anything.”

“Well, you have done far more for her then she is owed.”

 

“Brian, I totally understand why you feel that way and you have every right to, but love, if it wasn’t for that woman, I wouldn’t have you or Gus.  I owe her for giving me the two of you.”