- Text Size +

Chapter 2


When Justin woke the next morning he picked up his phone, hoping he had drank a little too much the night before and had a crazy dream.  But as he reviewed his phone history, he could see he had received a call from Brian’s sister. Damn, what had she all said? Brian’s mom was being discharged from the hospital and she needed a place to go.  He pulled on his jacket and jogged to the house.  

As he stepped in he smelled fresh coffee but because of the headache that was creeping in quickly, he started making a cup of tea.

“That is not a good sign,” Ronni’s voice said from behind him. She had Aaron in a seat she set on the counter.  “You know if you would sleep in your bed, like a normal person, your headaches would not be coming back.”

Justin threw her a look but he knew she was partially right.  “I just...never mind.  I had a phone call in the middle of the night.  I really thought at first I was dreaming but this morning I realized it was real.”

“And who was this call from?” Ronni asked as she took over making his tea while Justin picked Aaron up from his little seat on the counter.  

“Brian’s sister.”

“Brian has a sister?”

“And what did satan’s spawn want?” Emmett asked as he and James walked in the door. “This can’t be good.”

“Yes, Ronni, he has a sister but he has no contact with any of his family.”

‘Family is family.  You can’t just get rid of them,” Ronni said flatly.

“But, Veronica,” Emmett said knowing where she was coming from. “These people are evil.  I mean my family wasn’t great but I still keep in contact with them with cards and a couple calls a year. Brian’s parents were abusive. When his dad was alive the only time he talked to him was when he needed money, which Brian always gave him.”

“Now he just sends his mom a check every month so he doesn’t need to interact with her.” And now Justin continued.  “She was obviously drunk but she said Joan had a stroke and now needed a place to rehab.”

“You didn’t tell her to bring her here, did you?” Em blurted out.  “Brian wouldn’t want that woman on his property.”

“When will she arrive?” Ronni asked.

“Ronni, I didn’t say anything.  Well, I said something but I wasn’t sure if I was awake or asleep myself.  I think she said the hospital would be calling me today.  She thought she was calling Brian.”

“Oh, honey, what are you going to do?” Em slipped an arm around Justin’s shoulder and with his free hand started stroking Aaron’s cheek.

“He is going to have them bring her here. She can have my downstairs room.” Ronni’s statement had a note of finality to it.

“Ronni, I need to talk to Brian about this.”

“No, you don’t.  He is not here.  She is family.  You are his husband, not staff.  She will move in.  Then you tell him and see his reaction.”

“Ronni, he is likely not to come home if he knows she’s here.” Em commented and he felt Justin tense.  “I’m sorry, but it is true.  He will come home but I don’t think he will stay here if she is here.”

A sleepy Gus wandered in.  Justin handed Aaron to Emmett and picked up Gus. After hugs and kisses Gus said, “What’s everyone talking about?”

Justin diverted the conversation, “We were just talking about what to eat for breakfast.  It’s Saturday so we can all eat a fun breakfast together. What are you hungry for?” 

With that the conversation was changed but as soon as Gus was involved in a conversation with James and Emmett, Ronni led Justin out of the room. “Call the hospital.  I will get the room ready. I sleep upstairs most of the time anyway to be near the boys.”

“Ronni, you don’t understand.  Brian was abused by his parents and the thought of her moving in…”

“Justin, she is a human in need. Period.”

‘Damn,” Justin just slumped. “I need to call and find out her condition and see if any of this is true.  We may not even be able to take care of her.  Claire is almost as messed up as her mom.” Ronni opened her mouth but Justin raised his hand.  I will be back in a few minutes if Gus asks.  

“Eat first and drink your tea.  I can tell you need it.  If you get a call I will make excuses.”

“You’re right, Ronni, but don’t take this wrong, you have to remember you work here.  Brian wouldn’t want to do it, but if you push him on this, you’ll be gone.  When it comes to his family, common sense doesn’t always win.  When it comes to his family, he is Gus’ age and he is still hurting.

“Daddy Justin, I heard you say my name.  Did you need me?” The four year old came running and Justin swooped him up.  

“Gus, I always need you.  You didn’t eat my breakfast did you?”  And with that Justin was done talking to her for the moment.  


After Gus had gone off with James and Emmett for an adventure and Aaron was down for a nap, Justin called Claire back.  He figured it was late enough that she was probably awake, although he was sure she felt worse than he did.

“Who is it? Is this you, Brian?” Claire was obviously sober now but that didn’t change her temperament. 

“It’s Justin.  I told you last night that Brian was out of the country.”

“I thought he just didn’t want to talk to me.  What would he be doing out of the country?”

“You have no clue what your brother does, do you?” He realized it didn’t pay to be snarky right now so he changed his tone.  “I need details about what you said last night.”

“I don’t remember exactly what I said.  I have been under a lot of stress with Mom in the hospital and of course my boys are always a handful.

“Claire, please, I have two boys of my own and right now I don’t have time for pleasantries.  You said Joan had a stroke.”

“Yes, the hospital says she needs to leave the hospital and have therapy but both of us have steps in our homes and she can’t do steps right now. Her insurance doesn’t cover rehab and she can’t afford all that.”

“Brian already sends her money monthly.”

“Well, sometimes a mother needs her son to be there for her.”

Justin stopped himself from saying what he wanted to say.  “Will her doctor talk to me?”

“I talked to her doctor earlier and told her to expect a call from you.  I can’t tell you everything that’s going on.  It has all run together.”

“Not too surprising considering how drunk you were last night.”

“Well, I don’t do that too often but it had all piled up on me.  I don’t get my child support and…”

“Do you have the number for me to call?”  Justin cut her off.

Claire gave him the number.  “Are you really raising your bastard half brother? I mean he’s the son of the man who told everybody you died.”

So she had followed the court case.  “Aaron had nothing to be said about who his biological father is and as you have been telling me, family is important.  You should be there for them.  I will always be there for Aaron.  He is our son.  Now, I have to go.”

After a quick shower and pulling on clean clothes, Justin called the doctor’s office and although she wasn’t available, they were expecting his call.  They expected Joan would be ready to leave tomorrow morning and they gave him a run down of what she needed.  They had set up someone to assist her every day right now.  Her insurance would pay that for a certain amount of time.  The person at the end of the line made sure they had a place for her that would be accessible as long as she needed help to walk.  By the time he got off the phone he just walked down the steps and dropped on a stool in the kitchen.

“Mr. Justin, is there something I can do for you?” Tracy said as she came out of one of the other rooms.                                                                                                                           

“I wish it was that easy.  If you don’t mind, could you put some water on to heat.”

Tracy was very perceptive.  She had learned what went on in the house quickly and found out about his headaches quickly.  Justin liked her.  They were the same age and she reminded him a little bit of Daphne.  He missed her but she was out of the city most of the time now.  “Well, it looks like my mother in law might be moving in.”

“I take it you don’t get along well?” Tracy made his tea while they talked.

“If I let her come, I’m not sure Brian will move back in and I doubt she will want to be here either.”

“Can I help?”  She put his tea in front of him and looked at the stool next to him.

“Oh, please, sit.  I hope you have realized we aren’t formal here.”

“That’s why I love it here.  I, well my ex, told me I would never be anything more than someone’s servant but now I am going to school and your house is so welcoming.  I feel so fortunate.  Just the fact that you are letting me live here and have security.”

“Well, I am sure you heard why we put the system in.”

“Yes, you have had a lot of trials.”

“But look around.  I have a very good life now. I have my boys. I love them all so much.” He had slowly sipped his tea. “Ronni insisted Joan come here to live and there is a part of me that says she needs help and we help people but Brian doesn’t see his mother like that.”

“I wasn’t eavesdropping but I heard Ronni talking to James about her having a stroke.” Justin heard the nervousness in her voice.

“Tracy, there are a lot of people around here. You are going to hear people talking. You are fine, and thank you for volunteering to help.  Joan will have assistance most of the day but I am not sure what the schedule will be.”

“Well, I have to think about my schooling but when I am available,” Tracy commented.

Justin kissed her cheek.  “Thank you. She is not a pleasant woman but worse than that, Brian can’t stand her.”

It was her turn to put her arm around him, “Justin, if you ever need to just vent, I’m here and I was raised by an obstinate woman.  From what I’ve heard, I have a feeling that our mothers are very similar.”

“Daddy!  Look what I have!” Gus came flying in with Emmett and James right behind him. Justin unzipped his coat as Gus held up a handful of treasures he had found outside. Tracy smiled at Justin’s interactions with his stepson and slipped out of the way.

Justin spoke to Ronni and let her know that Joan would be coming tomorrow but she was not staying in the main house.  With the help of James and Emmett, they moved his art supplies into the second story of the garage.  Tracy helped Gus help his dad as they carried some small canvases and containers of brushes and paints.  Once his stuff was out of the pool house, it was time for Tracy and Ronni to clean the place and get it ready for Joan.


Late that afternoon, Brian talked to Gus for a bit and then Justin got on the call.  “Gus said you were moving your art supplies, well actually he said paint stuff to the garage. I thought you were going to wait until we added some features up there.”

“Brian, you have any of that good pot they have over there on you?”

“Well, yes. I happen to be sitting in a little shop having a joint.  They don’t let you take it home here but why did you say that? What is going on over there?”

“Brian, I need you to listen to the whole thing before you talk.”

“Justin, what the hell?”

“Brian, your mom had a stroke.”

“Please, tell me she is finally out of my life completely.”

“Brian, please listen.  She is not dead. Claire called and told me about it.  She is getting out of the hospital and she is…”

“Don’t say it, Sunshine!  She is not welcome at my house.  I will not have her under my roof!” People at other tables were now looking at him in the cafe so he quieted down. “Tell me you didn’t tell that bitch she could come to live with us.”

“Brian, there is no other option.  Claire and your mom’s houses have steps.  She will be in the pool house and she will have help during the day….Brian are you still there?” The other end of the line had gone silent.

“Justin, no, I can’t….our boys cannot be exposed…..no! She can’t stay there.” The line went dead. 

Justin tried calling him back but he did not respond. “Damn!” Justin said as he ran up the steps to the new studio.  When he walked in James and Emmett were in each other’s arms.  Em’s hands had moved under James’ shirt.  “Oh, shit, sorry.”

“No, we are sorry.  This is your studio.” James still responded formally.

“Jamesy, loosen up.  Justin isn’t mad.  I think he is getting a little lonely though. Did you talk to Brian?”

“Yes, he just hung up on me. Em, he is not happy.  In fact, if he was mad I could deal with it.  When it comes to his mom, he goes into a whole different mind set.  I’m worried about him. He just…”

Em kissed James but then walked over to Justin and put his arms around him. “Oh, sweetie, I know you were worried about this. He may not be happy but he will come around.  We will all make sure she stays out of his way.”

“James, I know your mom has a mind of her own but...Brian isn’t playing with his need not to be near her or not to have our kids near her.  Please make sure she realizes that.”

“I will talk to her, Justin.  I cannot promise anything.  As you said, she has a mind and a mouth of her own.”

“We will try, honey.” Emmett said as he walked back to James.  “This is really a nice space. You have a lot more room and it looks like it would have good light...I think artists need that.  You just need to get a little furniture up here to take a break on and maybe a small fridge.”

“Emmett, would you mind taking care of that? I agree, a small fridge and dining room type table and then a larger work table and a sofa and a couple chairs.  It has to be sturdy and easy to clean.”

“Leave it to me.  I will send you pictures before sending in the order.  Can I just use the credit card  James has?”

“That would be great.  Thanks, both of you, for all your help. Stay as long as you want.  I am going to go spend time with my kids and try Brian again before I go to bed tonight.” 

Emmett and James watched Justin walk down the steps and out the door at the bottom. “I’m worried about him,” James said as he pulled Emmett close and kissed him. “I wish I could control my mother but I will definitely talk to her.  She is just so stubborn and thinks her way is the only way.  I know it is because of the way she grew up but she has to realize not everyone is like her.  How bad was Brian’s home?”

“I honestly don’t know because Brian won’t talk about it.  I am fairly sure Justin knows some of it but Brian would be angry if he told anyone.  Brian realized how special Justin was when he thought he was dead so I don’t think he would do anything too stupid but he could make it miserable for everyone.  I can deal with Brian’s tantrum but his mother might be another case.”

Later that evening James spoke to his mom and told her the pressure this was putting on Justin.  Emmett had agreed that was probably the best way to go about this. Ronni loved Justin and her heart went out to him.  His father had done a number on him. She agreed to back off a bit but she still believed that a boy should take care of his mother and she told him he better not forget that. He assured her he would always be there for her but she had always been there for him, too.


Justin had fallen asleep with Gus again but to his surprise he didn’t wake until 3:00 am.  He slipped out of bed and out of the room.  He had hoped to call Brian a couple hours earlier.  He had to try talking to him.  By now Brian could be involved in some activity since it was 9:00 a.m.  Hopefully, he would be sitting somewhere with a cup of coffee instead.

Brian hadn’t slept all night.  Every time he started dozing off his mother’s face flashed in front of his eyes.  What was Justin thinking? How could he think Joan Kinney being near their children was a good thing?  The next time he started to fall asleep, she had popped into his mind and he pictured her in a wheelchair needing someone feeding her.and wiping her ass.  He would never, never be the one that took care of her.  Hell, she never took care of him.

He had given up sleeping at 4:00 and went for a run.  He found out that probably wasn’t the smartest thing he had ever done.  He ended up in the red light district and had looked at the beautiful boys in the windows but he realized all he wanted was Justin which tore him apart knowing Justin and his boys were at home waiting for him but she would be there also.

Brian had walked to a nearby cafe and had just sat down with a strong coffee and his laptop when his phone rang.  He looked at his phone and saw it was Justin.  He hesitated but the need to talk to Justin was too great.  “Hey.”

“Oh, Brian, I’m so glad you answered.  Fuck, I’m sorry and I miss you so much and the boys miss you.  I think Aaron does, too. He is just a little restless and fussy.  He needs to be in his daddy’s arms.” Justin hesitated.  “I need to be in his daddy’s arms.  If you really can’t have her here, I will try to find some place for her but that is going to be so expensive.  When I talked to the hospital this evening they told me she doesn’t want to leave there.  Well, more like she doesn’t want to come here. So I am sure she will work hard to get out of here.”

“As long as I don’t have to deal with her, she can be there but I will not talk to her.  Hell, maybe she hates the idea enough that she actually will be miserable.  What am I talking about? She is always miserable.  If you aren’t miserable, you are doing something wrong.”

“Brian, when will you be home?”

“I told the president of the company I had a family issue that had come up so we will be wrapping up everything on Tuesday so I will be back on Wednesday around dinner. I doubt she would even want to see them but the kids are not supposed to go near her.”

“I have told everyone that already but I’m a little worried about Gus.  He is such a loving and friendly little boy.   At least it is getting cold outside so he won’t want to spend time at the pool. I will try to let him know he shouldn’t talk to you about her.  Maybe we'll just call her someone Ronni knows and tell him she is too ill to have visitors.”

“Well, that wouldn’t be a lie. She isn’t fit to be near children.  Why are you up at 3:00 in the morning?”

“I haven’t slept much since you've been gone.  I have been sleeping with Gus because our bed is just too lonely.”

“Where are you now?”

“I’m in our room.”

“What are you wearing?” Brian was talking very softly so those sitting around him wouldn’t hear him. 

“Brian, I just…”

“Sunshine, start stroking yourself. Lay in my spot on the bed.  As the bed warms up feel my hand run across your chest and then I’d move it down lower.”

“Oh, god….”

Brian noticed the guy at the next table was beginning to flush and, he couldn’t be certain but, he thought he was stroking himself under the tablecloth.  “Sunshine, I”d take you in my mouth and let my tongues play over the tip. My hand would slide between your legs. Do it.  Slide your finger in and out.  I know you can reach your prostate.”

“Oh, damn, Bri….” 

Brian heard Justin orgasm across the Atlantic.  “Sleep, Sunshine.  I will send you details about my flight home. I love you.”

“I love you, too, Brian.”


It was 10:00 a.m. when the gate buzzer rang.. Justin didn’t think it would be Joan yet.  An ambulance service was bringing her but that wasn’t supposed to be until near noon. He pressed the intercom, “Who is it?” He could see a woman holding up an I.D.

“I am a social worker with the hospital.  I was asked to come and check on the facilities for Mrs. Kinney.  I know you didn’t expect this but can I come in and speak to Mr. Kinney?”

“I’m afraid Mr. Kinney is out of the country.  I’m Brian’s husband. Follow the drive and I’ll meet you at the front door.”

As the small sadan pulled up, Justin opened the door.  The woman walked up and as she got to the door she stopped. “You’re Justin Taylor!” She said with great surprise.  That’s why Brian Kinney sounds familiar.  

Justin stepped aside and let her pass.  “I’m sorry, should I know you?”

“No you shouldn’t.  I put together information for your court case against your father, trying to figure out how he pulled off everything he did.  The hospital was grateful you didn’t press charges against us.  I truly don’t know what else the hospital could have done.  Your father just had connections with the wrong people.”

“That is over. What can I do for you?” He motioned for her to follow as he walked over to pick up a fussy Aaron. “My nanny is out with our other son.”  

“Justin, let me take him for you.”

“Are you sure, Tracy? The kids are not your responsibility.”

“He’s ready for a bottle isn’t he?” Tracy took the now crying child.  “I’ve got him.”  She moved away from Justin and the unnamed woman.

“So what can I do for you?”

“As I was about to say, this is such an odd situation. Claire set all of this up from what I understand but once it was all lined up and you had made contact to set up the arrangements, Mrs. Kinney, whose speech has been affected, was very upset.  She managed to write something that said she was afraid of her son. I truly just need to check out where she will be staying and I know she will be having daily help so I don’t think I will have to come back if you could just show me her room.”

“She is actually going to have the pool house. Tracy and Ronni, who has our older son right now, will be available to help her when she doesn’t have assistance.” He grabbed a jacket and walked out to the pool area. He crossed the yard and they entered the pool house. “This is where I finished my recovery after Brian rescued me so the bathroom has all the assistance bars.  You can see there is a small kitchen but she will have her meals brought from the main house.”

“Obviously, this is ideal for her therapy and recovery.  It is none of my business but it doesn’t sound like you plan to be spending much time here and from what her reaction was, I take it they don’t have a close relationship.”

“Brian may speak to his mother once a year and he gives her financial support monthly but the woman was a tyrant.  I have met her once, before my accident and I am not sure if she has ever met her grandson.  If she did it was when he was with his mother.  Brian will not allow Gus or Aaron to be near her.

“Why are you having her stay here then?”

“Well, I had to make a decision.  Brian will be back Wednesday and he may decide at that time he wants her to go to a rehab center but Claire said she didn’t want that either.”

“Mrs. Kinney is an unhappy woman, that’s obvious.  If you need help finding a rehab place feel free to give me a call and I can send you information.  It sounds like you do have support with two women in the house as well as the means to hire more assistance if needed.”

“Yes, and we have a caretaker and his boyfriend on the grounds most of the time.  The caretaker is in charge of security also.”

“I don’t think she is worried about people getting in.  She seems petrified of her son.”

“She should be nervous because of the way she raised him, however, fortunately for me,that isn’t the man he became.” Justin rubbed his temple, a habit he probably would never stop.

“Do you still have a lot of pain?” the kind woman asked.

“Stress seems to be a big trigger and with Brian out of the country and Joan coming and…”

“And how old are you, Justin?”

“21.”

“And you are raising your husband’s child and have adopted your biological brother.”

“Oh, Brian is here for me 1000% but he had to go out of town on this business deal because it could mean security for us for years and he has hired enough help that I can work on my art as well.  If life would only mellow out for a month or two for my head to completely heal.”

“Well, I do have to go but I will assure hospital authorities that Joan Kinney is going into a safe, secure location and she will have the assistance she needs. Oh, and just because I have been in this job a long time, be assured that as Joan goes through therapists, and my guess is she will, the hospital will work with you.”

“Thank you.  I have to say, this visit has made me feel a little less alone in this.”


When Justin got back into the house, Ronni was back with Gus.  They got Gus playing nearby and then Justin, Ronni, and Tracy were around the counter talking.  Justin sat with a cup of tea and washed down one of his pain pills at the same time. He explained what the visit was about. “I don’t want either of you to take anything from her.  If she gets unbearable, tell me.  Please keep it from Brian, for now anyway. He will be home Wednesday, and this is going to throw him.  I am sure he will step up and help with our boys but he just can’t deal with her, so I will take on that spot.  She can’t get in my mind like she can his.” Justin looked over at Gus, “Ronni, if it is alright with you, I am going to tell Gus Joan is someone you know and are helping out.  He doesn’t need to get into the middle of all this.”

“I hate to lie to the boy but I understand why we need to do this.” Ronni looked over at Gus, “If this woman is as you have said, I don’t want her to hurt him and he is such a sensitive soul.”

“I know. When I look at him I picture Brian at that age and ….well, I don’t look forward to dealing with her but I am going to make this as smooth as I can. And if it can’t work,” he looked directly at Ronni, “We will find a rehab for her. No arguments. Is that clear? Brian can’t deal with it and I’m not sure I can. Brian’s wellbeing will always take priority.”

“I understand,” Ronni said softly.  Justin’s loyalty to his husband had touched her.  “I will help her get settled when they arrive.”

“Thank you, Ronni.  Thank both of you for everything you are willing to do.”


Justin looked at Aaron in his cradle and then walked over to Gus and dropped onto the rug and as they played together, Justin told him about the woman that was moving in for a while.

“Daddy, will I be able to trick or treat to her house next week?”

“Oh, Gus, I don’t think so but I promise you will get to go to Uncle James and Uncle Em’s house and we will go to Grandma Jenn’s and Ted and Blake’s.  But I think we will need to leave this woman alone.”

“Can I give her a treat for Halloween?”   Gus asked in between making truck noises as he guided a dump truck down the carpet.

“That is very sweet of you, Gus.  I will find out if she’s allowed to have treats. Maybe drawing her a picture would be a nice thing to give her.”

“Do you think she will like it?”

“I’m not sure, Gus.  She’s been sick and you know sometimes when you are sick you get a little cranky.”

“Like when you have a bad headache and you ask me to be a little quieter?”

“Exactly.  You know I still love you when I have a headache.” He pulled the little boy into his arms.

“I know you always love me, even when I do something bad.”

Justin teared up.  He wondered if Brian could ever say that to anyone.  “Oh, Gus, you are so right.  I will always love you.”

Gus had just laid down for a nap and Justin was feeding Aaron when the ambulance arrived transporting Joan.  Ronni was out there directing them to the pool house.  Justin saw her place a hand on Joan’s shoulder as she sat in the wheelchair.  He saw her tense up and wondered what she was thinking.  He would go see her a little later. He understood how  frustrating it was not to be able to speak.  He knew how frustrated and angry he had gotten.  But he was not going to allow her to mistreat his staff, his friends. He would let her settle in and then have a conversation with her.

Ronni came into the house and sighed. She said something Justin couldn’t understand in her native tongue and then she walked to the stove and turned on water for tea. “Justin, that is a sad woman. I think she brings most of it on herself but I have to feel sorry for her. I can’t imagine living with that much inner struggle.”

“Did she want Brian?”

“Not exactly. She really can’t talk much but it is affecting her left side and she’s right handed so she is able to write.”

“And?”

“She said she is scared of Brian.”

“Scared?”

“The next thing she wrote showed she wasn’t scared of him, it was more a disdain for him.  How can a mother have such scorn for her own son? I have not heard of or seen Brian do anything that would deserve this.”

“The only thing Brian did was be himself and she didn’t like who he was.”

“Well,” she poured herself some tea and offered him a cup.  He shook his head and she continued. “As a mother, I, well, we all have hopes for our children and we don’t want them to suffer but I could never treat Jamie like that.”

“Brian has said they really didn’t want him.  The whole family has that negativity but Brian, rather than falling into the same trap, made up his mind he would be who he was and get out of there as soon as he could.”

“The therapist is going to be there until 5:00 and a nurse would be coming in at 9:00 for the night shift for at least a week.  After that they would have to reevaluate for the insurance.  I will go out and…”

Tracy was walking past on her way to a class. “I will be back at 6:00 and I plan to go back there until the nurse comes.  Ronni, can you cover the hour?”

“Sure but…”

“I’ll go if you don’t mind making dinner and keeping an eye on Gus.  I might just take Aaron with me and have a heart to heart with her.  I need to make the rules clear to her.”

“Justin, she is still Brian’s mother.”

“And as a mother, she knows there are rules that have to be put in place. Trust me she had her rules.”

Ronni placed her hand on his forearm and said softly, “I understand she hurt the one you love but remember what your mother taught you about being a good human being.  Make her proud of the man she raised.”

At 5:00 p.m. Justin walked back to the pool house with Aaron asleep in his carseat. As he knocked the therapist stepped out to talk to Justin. She didn’t have much to say other than the morning help would be here at 7:00 a.m. and all instructions for her care was on a white board they had put on the refrigerator. 

“So, there is nothing I need to do for her?”

“If you can figure out how to change her personality…. I’m sorry, that isn’t professional.  This has just been a long day. I will be back at noon tomorrow.  We are doing five hour shifts.”With that the tired woman walked away, and Justin took a deep breath before walking in the pool  house. 

Joan was sitting in a chair watching the TV. Her eyes met his for a second and she began to look away and then flew back to him. She realized this was not hired help.  She recognized him from the one time she met him. She then looked at Aaron.

“Hello, Joan.  I didn’t know if you would recognize me.  We met about four years ago. My name’s Justin and I am married to Brian.”

Joan pursed her lips and tried to say something. She finally gave up and grabbed her notepad.  She wrote the word, ‘wrong’.  

“Well, maybe we aren’t legally married in the United States, yet, but we are committed to each other and we plan to raise our children together. Can I get you anything?”

She shook her head.

“Ok, then I think we need to have a conversation. You are welcome to recover in this place.  You are not welcome in the main house.  You will have assistance with you at all times for now.  Someone from our staff will be here from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.  During that time, whoever is here will help you with dinner.  They are doing it because they are kind human beings. You hurt them in any way and you will no longer be welcome here.” Aaron started stirring and Justin got him out of the seat and into his arms.  He also pulled out the bottle he had brought along. “This is Aaron.  He’s our youngest. I don’t know if you have ever seen Gus but he is four now. He is Brian’s son with Lindsay.  I know Jack met him before he passed away.”

Justin saw her writing something. She showed him the tablet. ‘Saw with Lindsay twice.’

“Does he look like Brian? Do you have any pictures of Brian as a baby? Brian said you didn’t. Brian said you didn’t like him enough to take pictures.”

‘I have some.  Was a busy mom!’

“I know what it is like to be a busy parent, especially when Brian is gone.”

‘Where is Brian?’

“Brian is in Europe for business.  He will be home on Wednesday.”

‘Know I’m here?’

“Yes, I would never hide anything from him.  I love him.  And he said ok because he loves me.  My mother raised me to respect mothers.”

‘I failed at that. My children don’t care’

Justin put Aaron over his shoulder and patted his back. “At some point you have to earn it.” He kissed Aaron and snuggled him close.  “If you follow the rules, you can stay here.  If you cause trouble in any way, I don’t care where you end up but you will  be out of here.” He looked her in the eye and said, “I hear you had lots of rules.  I really only have a couple of them.  Show respect to those working with you.  And do not, under any circumstance, interact with Gus. Brian may or may not choose to stop by but our son is off limits.  I never want him to be exposed to your type of hate.”

Joan started writing something but before she finished, Tracy walked in carrying a basket of food.  “Hey, Justin.  I got out of class a little early.  I’m fine until 9:00.”

“Joan, this is Tracy.  She will be here until the night nurse arrives. Tracy, there are notes in the kitchen.  Joan, is able to write if you have any questions.”  Justin threw the blanket over top of Aaron, and picked up the car seat  before walking out of the pool house.

Emmett was inside the door when he walked in.  “So how is Joan the crone?”

“She can’t talk but she knows what she wants to say.”

“Did you say everything you wanted to say to her?”

“I gave her the two rules I have for her. Be polite to all of you and under no circumstance  does she go near Gus.”  His voice dropped as he saw the little boy come into view.  “Are you hungry, son? I am starving.” He placed a now sleeping Aaron in his bed and stuck his hand out to Gus as they walked to the table together.


Tracy set Joan’s meal up on a small table and put it in front of her.  “Let me know if you need any assistance.  It is stew so there is nothing to cut up.  Ronni is an excellent cook.” Joan set the tablet to the side as she began to eat.  After they had both eaten, Tracy picked up the dirty plates and went into the kitchen to wash up the dishes.  When she finished she brought the clean plates out to the living room.  She found Joan dozing.  She picked up the basket to replace what needed to be brought back to the house and she noticed Joan’s notebook.  She flipped back a couple pages from when Justin was in here.  Of course she didn’t know what Joan was responding to but the last note before she had arrived.

The note Joan had been writing when she walked in was meant for Justin.  It said, ‘How dare you tell me what I can or can’t do, you little faggot! And why would I want to talk to Brian or that little bastard he fathered.  That child can’t be normal being raised in this house’

Tracy looked over at the sleeping woman.  What would cause this woman to have such hate in her soul? Justin had been hurt both physically and mentally in his life but he still found forgiveness for Chris Hobbs. Why was she so evil?


Justin was sitting by the fireplace in the living room when Tracy arrived.  “You survived? Grab a drink if you want one.” He sat with a whiskey in his hand.

“She wasn’t a problem.  She ate dinner and napped for a while.  When she woke up she asked a couple questions about who I was and then she watched a show.” She sat on the other end of the sofa and curled her feet under her body.

“Why do I get the feeling there was something else?” Justin asked as he sipped his drink.

“She had been writing something when I walked in. Do you remember what she was responding to?”

“I had just told her the rules.  She had to be nice to those helping me out and that she couldn’t interact with Gus for any reason.  Did she say something about that? Well, not say something but write something.”

“I think you have the right to know.  Basically she said she didn’t want to talk to either Brian or Gus and…”

“Just say it.” He downed the rest of his drink. 

“She said Gus couldn’t be normal being raised in this house.”

“Fuck her!  First of all she doesn’t know what normal is! But to call our sweet boy abnormal…. Does she want to see Brian?”

“She says she doesn’t.”

 

“Well, then I hope Brian visits her every day!”