- Text Size +

Chapter 4


Justin got up and watched Brian walk toward the pool house.  Justin could see the hesitance in his strides.  “Daddy, what ya’ doing?”

“I’m just watching your Dad walk.”

“Why are you doing that? He knows how to get to the little house.”

“Yes, he does but when you love someone, sometimes you just watch them.”  Gus jumped on the sofa and looked over the back so he could see Brian, too.  “What are you doing, Gussy?”

“I’m just watching someone I love.” Justin sat next to him and gave him a hug.  

“I love you, Gus.  Your daddy loves you, too.”

“I know!  Can we play now?”  Gus went back to the rug to build his towers.  Justin had to smile and as Brian turned the knob to the small house, he turned and sat next to Gus.


Brian walked into the small living area that used to be filled with Justin’s art work and now there was an oppressive cloud over it.  “I hope you are Brian? Joan hasn’t stopped talking about you since yesterday.” Brian glanced and saw his mother wasn’t in the chair he expected her to be in. “She is in the bathroom right now.”

“I am sure she wasn’t happy about me coming.” 

“Well, she definitely wanted you to come by.  I just am not sure why.” She saw Brian’s look.  “That sounded wrong. She just, to put it bluntly, seems to want you to be here so she can be angry with you.”

“Welcome to my world.”

The nurse looked at her watch. “Well, I need to go.  She can walk around here with the use of her walker.  Her speech isn’t fluid.  She is starting to get out one or two words but most communication is through pen and paper. I,” the bathroom door opened and Joan walked out looking frailer than the last time he had seen her which makes sense. “Well, Joan it has been nice working with you.  Good luck in your recovery.”

“You aren’t coming back?” Brian asked a little nervously.

“Yes, the agency will be sending someone new.  Don’t worry, they only hire well trained staff.”

“But…..” Joan started writing as she got to her chair and the nurse opened the door.

“Someone will be here at 9:00.” and she was gone.

Brian heard a tapping behind him.  He turned and saw his mother tapping her pen on the paper to get his attention. “Well, hello, Mother.” Joan held the tablet out to him with her good hand. Brian took the book from her. ‘Where have I been? I am sure Justin told you I was in The Netherlands.”

‘You didn’t come see me.’ was scrawled on the paper.

“Mom, I have been home about 24 hours.  I haven’t seen or talked to you since Mother’s Day.  I didn’t think another day would matter.”

‘I’m a sick woman,’ she wrote.

“You had a stroke.  Could that be from your drinking?”

‘Are you even sober now?’ Joan asked him.

“Don’t act like you know anything about me.  I may have a drink in the evening but it is after dinner when the kids are in bed and my husband and I….” He stopped talking when she started writing.

‘Not husband. Can’t marry a man.’

“Mom, we did get married. Just because the country we live in still has archaic beliefs... “ He took a breath. “I am not going to go there. I hear you have a problem with my sons, too.”

‘You have one boy, a bastard.’

“Don’t you dare ever say that.  My son has four loving parents and he knows he is loved by all of us.”

“Huh,” she said verbally.

“I know that is something you don’t know much about.”

“Rude.”

“Oh, you think I am rude. If I am, I learned it from a pro.  You are one of the rudest people I have ever met, not to mention cruel and heartless.

She wrote again, ‘What would you expect when I deal with such a disrespectful child?’

Brian turned and looked out the door.  He could see a fire burning in the fireplace and saw Justin’s blond head knowing Gus was right next to him.

“Well, Mother, I had enough respect to let you move into my home.”

‘This isn’t your home.  This is a building behind the mansion you live in.’ She rushed the message on a tablet.

“You are right, as usual.  This is the pool house to the mansion I live in.  And, by the way, that I own.”

Writing again, she said, ‘You wouldn’t have let me stay. That child you sleep with set this up.’

“Oh, ya, the child I just got done rimming about half an hour ago.”

She was writing again, ‘Rimming?’

“Oh, yes, not a term you would use.  I had my tongue in his asshole.” Joan made a noise Brian couldn’t recreate. He was fairly sure she shivered. “I hear my dear sister hasn’t visited yet.”

‘Tomorrow.’

“Yes, I know she is coming to visit you tomorrow.  I plan to talk to her when she is here to see when she can take over your care.”

‘Has been good daughter.’

“Because she has no backbone. She fled the house like I did as soon as she could and she needed you to watch her kids so put up with your shit.”

“Language,” she said to him.

“Claire would have been by here already if she really wanted to show you how much she loves you.”

“Busy!”

“Oh, ya, I’m sure.” Brian turned and looked at her.  “I know you will never acknowledge your shortcomings.  I actually woke in a panic last night, knowing you were so close.  I know I can deal with you now but I have an impressionable little boy I need to protect.”

“Baby.”

“Oh, yes, I heard you met Aaron.  He is such a good baby.” Brian’s face softened when he thought about the little boy.

“Weak.”

“If showing that you love someone is a weakness, yes I am weak and I hope I always have that weakness.”

She wrote again, “Gay.  You are weak. Disappointment.”

“I think you are confused as to what gives a person strength. Just seeing Justin with the kids gives me strength. Knowing I have friends that live nearby that love my kids, too, gives me strength.  Hiring people to be around me that become part of our family, that makes me stronger. Making love with the man who loves me, who would give his life for me, that is what love is all about.”

‘Always could talk pretty. Always looked pretty.  That was your problem. Pretty on the outside but ugly is deep inside.’

Brian threw his head back and laughed out loud.  “You can’t hurt me anymore, Mom.  I don’t need your love anymore. You have lost all the power over me. It just hit me how pitiful you really are.  Mom, you will never know what you are missing out on. All I can hope is that the agency sending nurses has a large employee list because no one gets paid enough to spend that much time with you! Hopefully you will recover quickly so those poor young adults won’t have to be affected by you.  You are just a sad woman who wants everyone else to be miserable.”  Brian saw his mother wince as if she had been struck. He stopped.  If he went on, would he be any better than she was?

Joan sat and glared at Brian. She started to write but Brian took her notebook away.  “I think you should learn a little bit more about your grandkids.  Grandma’s are supposed to want to know about their grandchildren.  “Gus is a great little boy. He is so loving.  He is always ready to give or get a hug.  His moms taught him that but Justin, damn I love that man. He may be young but he is more mature than I will ever be.  His mother taught him how to love and how to be loved. There should be no strings attached to being loved. I mean think about it.  The father who told everyone he was dead fathered another child, and rather than having that baby be adopted, we are raising him.  He is and will always be ours. He is Aaron Daniel Taylor Kinney.  Neither of our boys will ever need to look for love. And in 20 years hopefully they can find someone half as good as Justin.”  Brian had been looking out the door while he talked but now he turned and looked at his mother.  Her eyes were closed and he was fairly sure she had gone to sleep.

Brian’s emotions were so mixed up.  He knew as much as he hated his mother, the little boy inside him still loved her.  He pulled a blanket off the sofa but as he gently laid it over her she woke up with fear on her face yelling, “No! Don’t touch me!”

“Well, looks like your speech is coming back quicker than we thought it would.” He turned, grabbed his jacket and walked to the door. “Do you really think I would hurt you? That’s your thing not mine.”

Once outside, Brian stood there.  He knew he couldn’t leave her alone.  Justin had just fed Aaron when he glanced out and saw Brian storm out of the pool house. “Ronni, can you…” Justin was just going to hand Aaron over when he saw Emmett and James walking up. Emmett turned and walked toward Brian while James came in the house.

“Brian, you alright?”

“Fine!” Brian snapped but then he patted Emmett’s shoulder. “Sorry, I’m just….”

“Brian, I know you and would probably not be friends if we didn’t share so many friends. But because we do, I think we have come to appreciate each other.  We both have family issues but we both have learned to be the best homosexual we can be and if our family can’t deal, we have each other.  Go be with the family that loves you.  I’ll stay with Joan the Crone until Tracy gets here.”

Brian opened his mouth but then closed it.  He looked at Emmett and said, “Thanks, Emmett.” Brian hugged and kissed him before walking back toward the house.

Emmett walked into the small house and looked at Joan who had been glaring at the door, watching Em and Brian talk and then kiss.  

“What are you scowling at, Joan? You just can’t stand to see your son happy can you? Actually, you can’t stand to see anyone happy. Joanie, who hurt you so bad that you can’t deal with happy.” Joan started writing something. “Lady, I don’t care what you think you have to say.  Your son is one of the best people I know.  He will help anyone who needs real help. And you know that, he is making it bigger than you could ever dream of.  Be quiet and deal with it!”  With that Tracy walking in and Emmett left without another word.


Justin opened the door for James. “Is Emmett up for this? We both know that Brian and Em aren’t…”

“Emmett’s heart is in this.  I wouldn’t want to be Mrs. Kinney right now. You know what he’s like when he is on fire.” James looked out the door to the spot Em and Brian were standing.

Justin smiled at James, “You really love him, don’t you?”

“Of course I do.  He knows I’m committed to him.  We are just going to wait and make it official when it is legal. We don’t have kids like you do.  I understand why you wanted to get married, even if it really doesn’t make a difference these days.”

“I’m glad you two found each other. Emmett is going to get you to loosen up and you ground him.”

That was when Brian kissed Em and started walking back to the house. “James, will keep an eye on Gus?” He nodded as Justin grabbed a jacket and met Brian. Justin pulled Brian into his arms and Brian clung to him. “Hey, gorgeous.   I am so proud of you!”

Brian didn’t say anything but brought his mouth to Justin’s and kissed him. “Let’s go get those sandwiches we bought today and our family can have dinner together as soon as Em gets here.”

“I love you, Brian.”

“I know you do and so do our boys and you know I love all of you. That woman is my past.  I don’t give a fuck if I ever see her again. In fact, I would prefer that.”

A few minutes later Tracy stopped by and picked up dinner for her and Joan and then Em came waltzing into the main house. “I need a drink and something amazing to eat.” Softly he said to James, “I’m planning on you for dessert.” James kissed him and they all sat down for dinner. They kept the conversation light and everyone listened to Gus’ excitement over Halloween. 

It was contagious and as dinner finished up, they decided they were going to have a party tomorrow night.  As James helped his mother straighten up the kitchen Brian, Justin and Em were calling friends  to come over tomorrow night. Then Ronni and James called a few friends and soon they were expecting about 40 guests that would be coming. Em and Ronni started planning the food and drinks.  Michael and Ben would be coming as well as Blake and Ted.  Cynthia and her current boyfriend would be there as well as several others from Brian’s office.  Jenn was coming but Molly already had plans so they promised Molly could come for a weekend very soon.  Justin was glad to hear Jenn was bringing a date and Brian made a note to call the nursing agency to get someone to cover the 5:00 to 9:00 shift so Tracy could join the party. 

James and Emmett left to enjoy ‘dessert’ at their own place and Brian took Gus to his room and read him a story.  When it was just Ronni and Justin who was feeding Aaron, she asked, “What happened between Brian and his mother?”

“I honestly don’t know. I didn’t ask for details.  He was shook up and he knows if he wants to talk he can but I don’t want to push him.”

“Justin, you know I was a little opinionated about your way of life when I started, well, more Jamie’s choices, but that’s not here nor there.  Brian would be lost without you and after meeting his mother, I know why he needs you. I hope the party takes some of the weight off his shoulders at least for the night.”

“Yes, it will be a lot of fun. I am trying to figure out what costumes we should wear. Oh, well, I think I am taking this little guy to his bed and see if Brian is going to head there, too.”

“Oh, Justin, I really enjoy Tracy and she is such a good help.”

“Why do I hear a but coming?”

“It isn’t really a but however, I want you to be aware that I think she has a crush on you.  You have never given her any reason to think you would be interested but I wanted you to know.”

“Thank you, Ronni.  I will keep that in mind if a situation comes up.  What would we do without you, Ronni?” He kissed her cheek and along with Aaron, he went upstairs. As he put Aaron down, he felt arms come around him. He laid his head on Brian’s chest and then turned to kiss him. He took his hand and led him to their room. Justin could see how weary Brian was.  He was sure it was a mix between jet lag and meeting with his mother. All he wanted was for Brian to relax and get a good night's sleep and tomorrow forget all his worries for a change.

“Sunshine, I hope you don’t mind but I am really tired.”

“Bri, of course I don’t mind. We made love this afternoon.  I am just happy you are laying next to me. You have been so busy since you got home you haven’t even seen my new studio.  I know I moved it in a hurry but I really do love it. Em had furniture in there for me the next day. I did finish the painting of the boys.  Maybe it will be dry enough tomorrow to bring it downstairs for the party.”

Brian’s head was resting on Justin’s shoulder and he listened as Justin talked softly about different things. As he started to drift off he said, “Thank you.”

“For what, darling?”

“For just being here and letting me just be.”

Justin kissed the top of his head, “Sleep.  Tomorrow we have a party to plan.”

Brian looped his arm around Justin’s waist and drifted off.


The next day was full of activity.  Gus had left in his dinosaur costume and he had given his dads and Ronni directions for planning the party.  His direction for Ronni and Justin had to do with decorations and food but his directions to Brian were more specific.  He told his dad he was in charge of costumes for the rest of the family. Brian promised to do his best and now he was committed. As soon as Gus left Brian was on the phone.

It was about 10:00 when Brian came out to the kitchen. “I am going into town to pick up our costumes.  Do you need anything?”

Justin slipped his arms around Brian’s neck and pressed himself against him. “I can think of a thing or two.”

Brian kissed him, “Now if I do that, our costumes might be given away.”

“Ooo, what did you decide on?”

“I’m not going to tell you.  All I’m going to say is it will work with Gus’ dinosaur.”

“Do I need to practice my T-Rex growl?”

“I’d rather be practicing that ‘ass-enter groen’ you have but that will have to wait.” Brian kissed him again and then took a chance at glancing at Ronni.  ‘Sorry, Ronni.  I know you aren’t comfortable with sex.”

“Oh, trust me, Brian, I am very comfortable with sex, but my sex life, not someone elses.” She smiled at the two men who she had come to care about. “I actually put an order in at the grocery store.  Can you pick that up? It will be ready by noon?”

Brian glanced at his watch and did a quick calculation.  “Noon should be a good time.  I will try to be back around 12:30. Do you want me to pick up lunch?”

“We are going to be eating so much tonight.  I was thinking I might just have a salad for lunch.  Do you want me to make you one?”

“That sounds great.  I’ll let you know if it is going to be much later.” Brian put a hand on each side of Justin’s face and tilted it up before bringing his lips down to meet his, “Maybe we can have lunch in your new studio.”

“I like that idea.” 

“I love you, Sunshine.”

“Love you, too.” They kissed once more before Brian left on his adventure.

Justin walked back to Ronni and picked up where he left off.  Eventually, Ronni said. “He is in a good mood today.”

“Ya, I think he put to rest some of his demons last night. And he really does enjoy a good party. He slept well last night and now …..I love this side of him.” Justin’s voice had a light hearted feel to it.

This made Ronni smile.  “You deserve some good vibes.” She squeezed his shoulder as she switched to another project for the party.

As the morning turned to noon, Justin fed Aaron and put him down for a nap before he started making a salad. “Ronni, do you mind keeping Aaron while we eat lunch? We’ll be back down before you leave to get Gus.”

“Sure, the angel will probably sleep the whole time anyway.”

“He is a great baby, isn’t he?”

“Jamie was a good baby, too.  He needed to be.  I was alone, raising him.  He often came along to work with me and sat in a basket while I worked.  He still has that patient demeanor. I sometimes wonder if he is too quiet but I think Emmett is bringing that part of him to life.”

“I am glad you can see that.  They do love each other.”  With that, Justin put their lunch on a tray.  “Can you send Brian up when he is ready?”

“Of course, take some time for the two of you. You haven’t had much of that since he got back.”

Justin smiled as he walked up the stairs into his sanctuary.  He looked around and smiled.  Emmett had outdone himself.  He had been very restrained for him.  There were neutral colors throughout with splashes of color in pillows and chair coverings.  He had picked a plush rug by the sofa so if Aaron and Gus were spending time up there they had a comfortable place to play.

There was a small table that could be used for sketching or to eat at.  The one thing that hadn’t arrived yet was a Murphy bed.  Emmett had suggested it.  He had said, ‘If you are working and realize it is 3:00 am and you don’t want to wake Brian, you can sleep there or if he just pisses you off enough for you to leave his bed, you have this little place.’ Justin had wanted to say that would never happen but he knew it would.  

Justin heard Brian pull in below and remembered they needed to check into a ventilation system up there.  Between the ability to have car fumes get up there and the fumes from his paint and other mediums, he would feel better if there was some kind of filtration, especially if the boys were there with him.

It was about fifteen minutes later that Brian knocked on the door at the top of the stairs.”Come in.”  While he waited he had put the frame on the portrait of the boys he had made earlier.

Brian took a couple steps in and started looking around, “Wow, this looks great! How did you get…”  Brian stopped when he saw the painting in its frame.  “That is  stunning.” He walked over to it and looked at his boys.  Can we put it over the fireplace?”

“That is what I was thinking. As for this place, Emmett gets all the credit.” Justin pointed to the back corner, “A Murphy bed will be in that back corner.” Brian walked over and handed Justin a small bouquet of flowers and kissed him.

“I hope you don’t plan on staying up here often.”

“I hope to start having more consignments and then if I end up working deep into the night, I don’t want to wake you up.  I can grab a nap.”

Brian pulled him close, “You know I don’t mind being awakened as long as you love me.” His mouth moved to Justin’s neck as his hands moved under his shirt.

“Damn, Brian, I have always loved you and I am always ready to be loved by you.” Brian grabbed Justin’s ass and lifted him off the floor as Justin’s legs went around his waist. Brian got them to the sofa and it wasn’t long before both had their pants around their ankles and Brian was bent over Justin. His arm was wrapped around Justin’s shoulders and was moving in and out of him as Justin supported himself on the arm of the sofa. Justin arched as he lost control causing Brian to cum, also.  “Shit, I was hoping to keep the sofa clean.” Justin laughed as he turned to kiss Brian.

“Think of it as a christening.  It is now officially ours.”

“Emmett made sure it was scotchguarded.” Justin laughed as he grabbed a paper towel and cleaned up the sofa. “Did you work up an appetite?” He pulled out the salads and some sparkling water.  

As they ate they talked about putting in a ventilation in the studio and then they talked about the party and what still needed to be done.  “Oh, did you get our costumes?”

“I did! I can’t wait to see you in yours.”

“Bri, you did remember my mother will be here, right?  What did you get for us?”

“I think it will be a surprise.  It will be a twist on an old favorite but I'm not going to tell you, yet.  I can’t wait to  see Gus’ reaction.”

“Brian, that’s not fair.” 

“Life’s not fair, Sunshine.  If it was, I wouldn’t have lost you for two years.” Brian squeezed Justin’s hand. “Do we need to get downstairs so Ronni can go get Gus?”

“Ya, if you don’t mind going down to Aaron, I need about 10 minutes to finish the frame on the back.”

“Take your time.  I can handle the little guy for a while.” Brian grabbed the dishes and moved to the door. 

Justin watched him and before Brian pulled the door shut, Justin stopped him. “I love you, Brian. Don’t ever doubt that.”

“That’s what keeps me going, Sunshine. My life couldn’t be any better.”


The afternoon was full of activity and excitement.  Brian still hadn’t shown Justin their costumes but most everything was ready now.  All afternoon Gus had been asking to bring a Halloween picture to the old lady in the house.  Ronni had put him off and finally she said, “You will need to ask your dad, Gus.  It is up to Brian.”

Gus ran to Brian’s office where he went to check his emails from work, “Daddy, Daddy, you in here?”

“Yes, Gus, I’m in here. What has gotten you oso excited?”

“No one has taken me to the old lady to give her my Halloween picture I colored for her.  Ronni said you had to give your approval.”

“Gus, I don’t want…” he took a deep breath.  He didn’t want Gus to think he was angry.  His son had such a big heart. “Gus, come here and sit with me a minute.” Gus walked over and he picked him up, setting him on his lap.  

“Daddy, you're not mad at me, are you?”

“Oh, no, I’m not mad at you.  It is just hard sometimes to explain some things to someone your age but even though you’re young I think you can understand.  This lady, she’s not sweet like your grandma Jenn or like Ronni and Tracy.  She is someone who just isn’t very happy.  I am not sure what she will say when you bring her a picture and she can’t talk very well right now.  I just don’t want you to feel bad if she doesn’t like it.”

“Daddy, why is she so grumpy?”

“You know, Gus, I really don’t know the woman but I will go out there with you, Ok? And if she is grumpy, what do we care? We have a party to go to tonight.”

“Daddy, can we give her some candy? Maybe she would like some of that? Candy always makes me happy?”

Brian hugged his son and tickled him just enough to make him giggle. “Oh, Gus, why don’t you go ask Ronni, nicely, to put together one of the candy bags we are going to have for tonight and then you go get your picture.  I will be there in a few minutes.”

Gus turned and hugged Brian.  “I love you, Daddy.”  And Gus was gone.

Brian heard Gus’ excited voice as he talked to Ronni.  He started thinking about the conversation he had just had with his son and realized how true his words were.  He really didn’t know his mother at all.  What had made her the way she was? What did he know about her side of the family? Nothing.  He knew nothing about the woman who gave birth to him. 

As he helped Gus with his jacket and pulled a sweater on himself, Ronni said, “I can take Gus to see my friend.” 

“Thanks, Ronni, but I got this.” Brian took Gus’ hand and as Gus pulled on it, he looked at Ronni, “She needs to know I won’t take any of her shit when it comes to Gus.  I don’t give a shit about me but ….” and with that Gus pulled him out the door.  He swooped Gus up on his shoulders as they walked the short distance to the pool house.  He saw his mom looking out at them as they moved. Brian put Gus down and knocked on the door. 

As the new therapist opened the door, she smiled down at Gus, “Well, hello there.  What is your name?”

“I’m Gus.  I have some Halloween treats for the lady.”

“Well, Joan, isn’t that nice.  Gus has brought you something for Halloween.”  Brian took a step into the doorway so he could make eye contact with his mother.

Gus took a step toward her. “I drew you a picture and I brought you some candy.  Everyone likes candy, even if I only get it for special occasions. I get lots of other good things.” He walked over to his grandmother and put the picture and bag of candy on the little table next to her.  

She finally broke the gaze with Brian and looked down at the dark haired little boy next to her.  She started to open her mouth but then she just nodded at him.

“Ok, Gus, let’s leave the lady alone.” As they walked out the door the therapist followed them. “Gus, why don’t you go back to the house and tell Ronni to start getting you in your costume. Stay away from the edge of the pool.”

“Ok, Dad. don’t be long.”

“I won’t, son.” He turned toward the therapist. “How did today go?”

“She is a hard woman but so am I.  I just wanted to let you know she is doing quite well.  From my evaluation today, I think in the next couple weeks we will be able to cut back on the therapy.  She didn’t say anything now but she has been talking more today and she is walking better around the house.”

“Did they leave detailed notes?”

“They did but I met your mother when she was in the hospital. She has come a long way.  I am thinking by the end of next week, she should be able to be here alone part of the time as long as you are this close.”

“I am not sure….” Brian started to tell her that she couldn’t say here when Gus called out the door.

“DAD!”

“I need to go.”

“Someone from the agency will call you next week.”

“I’ll talk to my sister this weekend and see if she can have her at her place.  I am sure Joan would prefer to be there.” Brian waved and jogged toward the house.


Brian couldn’t be happier.  His mother was doing better and she would get out of here soon.  He saw Ronni was helping Gus with his costume and said Justin was upstairs with Aaron. Brian took the steps two at a time. He walked in their room and saw Justin on the bed with Aaron.  

“You look happy about something.” Justin said as Brian dropped onto the bed and kissed Aaron’s chubby cheek. 

“We are going to have a houseful of people in half an hour and I get to see you almost naked as you put on your costume.”  Brian slipped his hand into Justin’s lap. 

“Speaking of the costume, can you show me it now?” Brian kissed him and squeezed his crotch just enough for him to sigh and then got up and picked up the clothing bag and unzipped it.  “First, this is Aaron’s costume.”

“Brian, Aaron is six months old what kind of….”  Brian held up something that was cream and speckled that sort of looked like a pillow.  “What exactly…”

Brian set it down and unzipped a zipper down the front and then picked up Aaron and slipped him into it, zipping him up in it. “Oh, I get it, since our other son is a dinosaur this one is a dinosaur egg.  I have to say, that is really cute. So what did you get for us and what has gotten you in such a good mood.  Did you take something? I heard you went out to your mom with Gus.  Did you take something ahead of your visit?”

“I didn’t take anything. He pulled out two costumes. Both of them looked like animal skins. One was solid brown and the other was orange with black spots. He laid them on the bed and then pulled out a plastic club and a large plastic bone.

“We are going as cavemen.  Ok, I get it.  Dinosaurs, cave people.”

“Not just any cave people.  I always thought Fred and Barney had something going on the side.  At least in my fantasy world they did.”

“Well, if anyone can pull it off it’s you and me.” Justin pulled his shirt off as he walked to Brian and then undid his fly. “This costume leaves a lot of airflow.  What are you wearing under it?”

“Oh,  I am fairly sure loin clothes are just like kilts.”

“I don’t think I am going all natural with my mom at the party but, darling, if you want to go for it.  I might take advantage of you.” 

“Damn, I’m not wearing a thing.” Brian stripped naked and slipped the fake animal fur on. 

Justin, in his own caveman costume stepped close and slipped his hand under the fur and found Brian’s bare ass.  “You are going to be one big distraction tonight.”

“I sure hope so.” As Brian pulled him close Aaron began to fuss.  “We’ll hold that thought until later.”

As Brian picked Aaron up off the bed, he said, “By the way, Joan is progressing well and tomorrow I hope I can get Claire to take her or I’ll get her resettled into her place with help. The main point there is, she will no longer be my problem and I plan to celebrate tonight.”

“Go ahead, Brian.  I’ll enjoy myself but next time I’ll get blotto and you can be on daddy duty.”

“Thanks, but I won’t get so drunk that we can’t continue what you started a bit ago.”

Just then Gus came growling through the door. “You look like cavemen! I can chase you.” And the family went down to greet their guests.

Gus had fun running around growling and everyone taking pictures of the little dinosaur with his brother still in his egg. And everyone oohed and aahed over the portrait.  Brian and Justin mingled, meeting up for a kiss now and then. Brian was never without a drink as promised.  

Cynthia and her date walked up to Justin and she slipped Aaron out of Justin’s arms.  The handsome man asked, “Do you mind if I take a picture of that portrait and show it to a friend of mine? He was looking for someone to do some paintings for him and I think he would like your style, not only of this one but I saw a few throughout the house.”

“Please do!  After the first of the year I hope to find some more to do.  My headaches are finally manageable and Aaron is growing so fast, I will be ready to do more by then.”  He wandered off and started taking pictures while Cynthia and Justin both watched Brian.

“He is drinking more than his share tonight.” She said as she handed Aaron back to his daddy.

“His mother is getting better and will hopefully be out of here in a week or so.”

“I am sure he is celebrating then. I just haven’t seen him drink like this since he lost you.  Well, right after that he had a few nights but since then ….”

“This mother thing has taken a lot out of him.  I think more than he realizes but if she is leaving I’ll get him back. He just needs to vent and tonight is the perfect way to do it.”  

Jenn stepped over and took Aaron. We will be leaving in a few minutes.  “I just need a little snuggle time with this boy…”

“Before snuggle time with that one?” Justin nodded toward her date who was talking to Tracy.  Tracy had dressed like a Barbie doll with super high heels and an overly exaggerated chest. She had a mini dress on and a long blond wig. She pulled off the look well.

“I hope so,”  Jenn winked at her son as she kissed her grandson. “Well, you better take this one back and I will find the little dinosaur before I go.  Are you going to be able to take care of Brian tonight?”

“He’ll probably just drink himself to sleep. And if I need help getting him upstairs, James and Emmett will be here to help.” Justin kissed his mom as she walked over to her date and then, before leaving, she said goodbye to Gus.

The crowd slowly thinned out and soon it was James and the old crew of Emmett, Michael and Ben, Ted and Blake as well as Justin, Brian and Tracy. Ronni had taken the boys and put them to bed. Brian, by now, was getting very unsteady.

“Hey, Brian, why don’t you let some of our friends help you upstairs.”

“I’m not ready to sleep.  Hey, Mikey, do you still get a hard on for me? Or has Ben finally fucked that out of you?”

“Brian, come on.” Justin tried to distract him. “Let’s get you to bed.  Em and James will say goodbye to our friends for us.”

“Can’t wait to get me in bed can you? Why do you even want me in bed? My mother obviously raised an asshole so...Oh, maybe that’s my attraction.”

“Michael, let’s get out of here.  Justin, it really was a great party.  Sorry it had to end this way.” Ben put his arm around Michael’s waist.

“Come on, Ben, it was good when we had…”

“Good night, everyone.” Michael said as Ben led him to the door.

“Come on, Brian, my big hunky boyfriend and I will help you up to bed.” Emmett, with the help of James, gave Brian no option but to go upstairs with them.

“Justin, are you alright?” Ted came over and put a hand on his shoulder.  

“I am.  I’m just….he hasn’t been like this since before…”

“We can stick around if you want us to,” Blake said coming to the other side of Justin.

“I’m not alone here.” As Justin said this, Tracy seemed to appear from nowhere.

“Really, guys, it is nice of you to offer but I can hang here with Justin as long as he needs someone and my bedroom is just steps away so you two go ahead to your own home.”

After a little more conversation, James and Emmett reappeared and the last four men walked out together leaving Tracy and Justin on the sofa by the fireplace. They each had a glass of wine.  As they sat there, Tracy slipped off the high heels and without batting an eye unbuttoned her shirt in front of Justin and popped out the falsies now looking like the slim young woman she was.  She pulled off the wig and ran her hands through her hair and then started to take off her false eyelashes. The first one came right off but the second one was caught on her natural lashes.

“Let me get that for you.” Justin moved closer and rested his hand on her cheek as he gently teased the false lash away from her real lash. As Justin placed the lashes in her hand she kissed him softly.”

“Um, Tracy, I….”

“Oh, I know, Justin.” She moved putting more space between them.  “I just meant to thank you for your help.  I would have probably ripped off half my lashes and I don’t have that many the way it is.” She smiled at him.

“I should say thank you for staying up with me. I better go upstairs.  Aaron will probably be ready for another bottle in about four hours and obviously Brian won’t be helping.”

“Justin, does he do this often?”

“When I met him this was the norm but tonight was because his mother is here.  This is not the man he is today but it is the boy his mother raised.  Thanks, Tracy, for sitting here with me.”

“Any time. Justin.  You are one of the sweetest people I have ever met.”

They stood and without thinking Justin hugged her.  Tracy eagerly hugged him back before they both went their own ways.

 

Justin made sure he had what he would need for Aaron’s bottle and moved upstairs. After dropping the bottle and formula in the nursery and kissing Aaron’s soft cheek, he moved to the master.  Brian was lying naked spread out on the bed but he could tell he wasn’t resting peacefully.  The blankets were all twisted at the bottom of the bed and Brian’s whole body seemed to be twitching and as Justin slipped into the bed next to him Brian started mumbling, “No, don’t want to.  No, I….” Justin couldn’t understand the rest of the words but his strong husband sounded like a scared boy again.  That woman had to go, and soon!