- Text Size +

Chapter 5


Justin had gotten up and fed Aaron around 6:00 a.m. After feeding him and changing him, he laid the content baby back in his crib and went to check on Brian.  He had been up with him a couple times by 6:00.  He held him through a bad dream and stood next to him as he threw up, placing a cool cloth on the back of his neck and then helping him back into bed.  Once he was sure Brian was sleeping peacefully now as the sun was shining, Justin went downstairs with both boys.  Gus couldn’t stop talking about the party and how many people he scared because he was a big, bad dinosaur.

Ronni sent Justin off. “You need to relax, Justin,” she said as she handed him a cup of tea.  “Go up to your studio.  Sleep if you want.  Paint if you want.  Watch TV.  Just go take care of you because we both know that Brian will need you later.

“Thanks, Ronni.  I think I will do just that.” As he turned to head for the door he ran directly into Tracy.  “Oh, hey Tracy. Thanks again for last night,” he said in a polite tone.

“It was my pleasure.  Anytime you need to talk, I’m here.” Justin smiled and nodded as he walked past her.

Justin had barely closed the door when Ronni asked, “What did you do?”

“I didn’t do anything.  What do you mean?”

“I would be careful if I were you.” Ronni said softly, not wanting to draw Gus’ attention.

“Ronni, seriously I…”

“You cannot hide your feelings to me and I doubt you will keep it hidden for long from them. If you like your living situation you better get your feelings in check.”

“I have homework to do.  I will be able to make lunch and dinner.” With that Tracy turned and walked back to her room. 

Ronni looked at the door Justin had gone through.  She hoped he realized what was going on.  She had warned both of them.  There was nothing more she could do.

Justin pulled out a canvas but soon realized he wasn’t in the right mood.  He turned on the TV but then walked to the window and stared out to the pool area.  He glanced at his watch.  It was a bit after 8:00.  If Brian wasn’t awake by 10:00 he would go wake him.  Claire was supposed to be here around 1:00 and he knew Brian would need several cups of coffee and something to calm his stomach before he dealt with her.  He could see Joan walking in the pool house.  He hadn’t gone back there but he had seen her out with one of her caregivers a couple times for just a moment to get some fresh air and he could see she was making progress. All he could hope for was that they could offer Claire enough money for her to take over.  He would give her anything he had if she would take that off of Brian.

Eventually he moved back to the sofa, in front of the TV and very soon he was sound asleep. 

As his mind slowly woke he realized he was smelling coffee.  He first thought he was in bed but then remembered he was on the sofa in his workspace. He opened his eyes and saw Brian sitting in the chair next to the sofa. He held a mug in both hands and his eyes were closed, as if the light was too bright to deal with. 

“Good morning,” Justin sat up and realized Brian had brought him a cup of coffee, too. 

Brian’s eyes fluttered open, “Hey.” He stood and moved to sit next to Justin.  He set his cup down and turned to him.  He gently put his hand behind Justin’s head and pulled him close.   Justin could taste coffee and a hint of toothpaste.

“How’s your stomach? I can see how your head is.”

“I ate a piece of toast.  Wasn’t sure I would be able to even keep down the coffee without something to absorb the acid already churning in there. And the headache is getting better. Hell, how did I do this three or four nights a week.”

“You were younger and you didn’t have a business and a family.”

“I’m sorry.  I don’t know what I all said last night but I think I owe a few apologies, and you are the first.”

“Oh Brian, Michael and Ben are probably the only ones you should talk to.  What you said was very ‘Brian’ from the day but you probably did over step.”

“Did I say something about fucking him?”

“Yep.  You know Michael. He just let it go but,”

“Did you have to hold Ben back?”

“No, you know Ben is more level headed then that. He was sober.” Justin wrapped his arms around Brian and held him close. “Do you remember any of your dreams last night?”

“I don’t even remember that I did dream. Why, what did I say?”

“Never mind.  If you don’t remember, I would just be guessing.  What time is it?”

“It’s about 10:30.”

“I had planned to wake you up at 10:00.  Glad you got up on your own.”

“I had to piss too bad to sleep through it.”

“I’m glad you didn’t,” Justin said lightly, bringing a smile to Brian’s face. “Brian, are you going to try to talk to Claire before or after she sees your mom.”

“I think after.  I want her to see how well she is really doing. I will pay for any service she needs, that insurance won’t pay for.  I would give her anything to get her out of here.”

“I know, but you know we had to do what we have done.”

“I do know that.  And I hope I have convinced her that she doesn’t have control over me and she has met Gus. How can you meet him and not smile at that open, loving boy of ours?” Brian kissed Justin and this time pushed him to the side so soon he was laying on top of him. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For understanding.  I’ll call Ben and Michael. I owe them that.”

“Let’s go get you something to eat. You can’t meet with Claire on an empty stomach. Is there anything I should know about her?”

“I haven’t seen her in over a year.  She is a lot like my mom but instead of feeling like everything is owed to her, she feels like everyone has it out for her. She always tried to do what Mom asked just because she didn’t want to stand up to her. I think the same thing happened with her husband.  He just couldn’t stand her simpering after a while.  Her boys are almost unbearable but that is because she let them do anything not wanting to punish them in any way or for any reason. The problem is, she thinks that’s love.”

“You don’t have that problem anymore.”  Justin felt Brian’s hand slipping into his fly. “Oh, god, you have no problem showing love, and I am not talking about what you are…..” Justin had to compose himself for a second, “doing to me now.  I love all of you, both inside and out.” 

Justin unbuttoned Brian’s fly and soon they were both on the plush rug, holding the other’s cock in their mouth. Soon both men were reaping the reward. Justin flipped around and lay in Brian’s arms for a few minutes.  “As much as I would love to hide up here with you all day, I think I better go eat something beside you, not that I didn’t enjoy it.” Brian said and kissed Justin. “You know I couldn’t deal with this without you.”

Brian and Justin went down and had an early lunch.  Tracy was outside with Gus so they could talk freely.  “You know,” Brian said as he bit into some of the Primanti Brother sandwich left from yesterday. “It hit me how little I do know about my mother.  I think I am going to do a little research.  Her past does not give her a pass on her behavior but it might answer some lingering questions.  I am going to ask Claire if she knows anything more than I do. Well, I hope to ask her but I will have to see what her mood is.”

“Bri, do you want me to hang around or do you want time with her alone?”

“I need you there, Sunshine.  If I get….well, too rude, you will know how to smooth it over plus, I just want her to meet you.  I don’t know why that’s important to me but it is for some reason.”

“I would like to meet her, too, especially after we talked on the phone a couple times.  I’d like to come to an understanding with her.”

“Damn, I don’t deserve you.”

“Daddy, Daddy Justin, someone is coming! Who is visiting today? Are they just late for the party? Do they think the party is today?”

Brian captured his excited son and set him on his knee.  “Actually, Gus, this lady is visiting the lady in the pool house.  It is her daughter. Her name is Claire.”

“That makes sense.  I would visit you if I was grown up.” Gus smiled at Brian.

“Well, I am glad to hear that.  I would love it if you visited but now, it looks like you could use a little clean up and I bet someone will get you some lunch after your hands are clean.  I need to go show Claire where her mom is staying.” Brian hugged Gus and swung him in the air on the way to getting his feet on the floor.  As his feet touched down the doorbell rang.

“I’ve got him,” Tracy said and she led Gus down the hall to get him washed up.

“And I’ll answer the door,” Justin said as he got up and walked toward the front door. He pressed the intercom button and the wall and verified it was Claire before walking to the front door. “Claire, hope you didn’t have any trouble finding the place.”

“I had no idea it was this big.” She stepped in and looked around the entry.

“I’m Justin, by the way.  Your mom will be glad to see you.” 

“I doubt that.” As they took a few more steps into the house, Brian came into view. “Well, Brian, I wondered if you were home.  It’s nice to meet Justin, even if you never thought to introduce us…”

“Claire, don’t start.  You and I both know that we are never going to be that family.  Why don’t you go visit with Mom and when you are done there come back for a cup of coffee.  We will need to talk about the future.”

“You aren’t going to go out there with me?” Claire asked with a little nervousness in her voice.

“Claire, if you can’t hold your own with her now, you never will. She is starting to walk and talk. If you ever hope to act like an adult now is the time.” 

“But Brian,” Claire whined as Justin pushed her out the door.  She is staying over there in the pool house.  Just come back to this door when you are done talking to her. It will be unlocked.”

After Claire was gone, Brian walked back to Justin and pulled him close. “I never realized it but she is really nervous going to see her.  I guess if I am there with her I would be the one who was under attack but since she is there alone, she probably has to put up with some of that.”

“It is obvious your mother doesn’t go easy on anyone and I think she is learning she can’t make you her main target any more. But she will need to target someone.” Justin said intuitively.  

“Don’t feel too sorry for her.” Brian said as he kissed Justin’s neck.

“I have empathy for anyone who was raised in the chaos you grew up in.” Justin began to stroke Brian’s crotch.

“You aren’t going to do that to my sister are you?”

Justin shivered, “Seriously, you just made my flesh crawl. And you know that wasn’t an insult to your sister.  Sex with a woman one time was more than enough.”

“I never knew you had been with a woman,” both Justin and Brian jumped when they heard Tracy.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were there,” Brian commented  and then kissed Justin.  “And he wasn’t even drunk.  Every time I had hetero sex I was blitzed and then it was usually Lindz.”

“That’s Gus’ mom, right? Is that how Gus was born?” The look Brian gave her took her a second but then she said, “Sorry, that’s none of my business.”

“You’re right, it isn’t.” Justin said.

Brian tightened his arm around Justin, “No, Trace, she used a turkey baster.  We were just good friends in college and well…”

Brian usually didn’t give that much information about himself.  Justin felt a little self conscious with Tracy now. He was sure it was just because Ronni read something into it.  She had to know she didn’t have anything he wanted.

Tracy didn’t take the hint, “You’ve had sex with a girl? I know it’s none of my business but now I’m curious.”

“Just once.” Justin changed the subject, “I’ll make a pot of coffee.  Do you think Claire will stay a couple hours? More?”

“I think she will give her the obligatory hour and then rush back, hoping for more than coffee.”

“Tracy, do we have any cake or cookies?” Justin asked

Brian interrupted.  “Oh, I’m sure she would like something sweet but more importantly she will want booze.”

“Brian, she is going to be driving.”

“I didn’t say we should give it to her.  I just know she will want it. You have to admit, my mother could get anyone to drink.”

“Where is Gus, Tracy?” Brian asked.

“He’s napping.  He should be up in about half an hour or so.  I can….” 

“Go take the rest of the day off.  You have been working more hours then you need to.  We’ve got this.”

“But Ronni is off for the night and….”

“I think we can manage our boys.  I am sure you already have dinner ready to go in the oven so go somewhere and have fun.” Justin said.

“Well, I really don’t have anywhere to go but I will work on homework.  I’ll be in my room if you need me.”

Once she was out of the room Brian said, “Am I missing something? What is up with the two of you.”

Before Justin could answer the door opened. Justin glanced at the clock and it was one hour on the dot. “Why don’t the two of you go sit by the fireplace.  I will bring a tray as soon as the coffee is done.

Brian waved his arm toward the sitting area and he followed her over. She sat in the chair Brian pointed at, “She is really making progress.  She has been here a week and she is walking better and talking better.”

“Sorry that is coming back. If we could just keep her silent.”

“Brian, you are talking about our mother.”

“I’m not going to argue with you.  I am thinking she would be much happier with you than us.  It has always been obvious she would rather be with you than me.  I will gladly pay the staff she needs that the insurance won’t take care of. She is just more at home at…”

“Brian, she is not coming to my house.  I...well, I have a new friend and he isn’t going to ...well, he’s moved in and…”

“And you haven’t told our mother that you are living in sin,” Brian laughed softly as he said it. Justin walked over with a tray of coffee and some cookies and handed them each a cup of coffee.  “Fine, Claire, she can stay here…” 

Justin dropped his cup. “Oh shit,” Justin rushed back to the counter and brought a roll of paper towels with him, quickly cleaning up the spill.

“I’m sorry, Justin. I should have asked you first. Do you mind if Mom stays here for a little while longer?”

“Brian, can I talk to you a minute, in the kitchen? Excuse us, Claire.  We will be right back.” Justin grabbed Brian’s arm and pulled him over to the counter. “What the hell are you saying? I thought you couldn’t wait for her….you have been so tense.”

“Sunshine, do you trust me?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then, I’ll explain it later.” Brian kissed Justin and took his hand as they walked back to ‘Claire.

“Brian, you aren’t going to argue with me?” Claire was shocked.

“She can stay here but I do have a couple things to ask you.  What do you know about her family?”

“Mom’s family? She always said she didn’t have any but I vaguely remember meeting a sister of hers once when I was really little.  It might have been when you were born.”

“Do you have any idea what her maiden name was?”

“No, but I know it is in her Bible.”

“You promise me you will look for anything that might be at her house about her past and I will keep her here the next 4 weeks. December 1, and by then she should be good enough to go back to her place.”

“Ok, Brian why are you being so nice?”

“I’m really not as bad as you think I am, Claire.  Oh, and you do have to come visit weekly. I don’t want to hear her bitch about you not visiting because it would be my fault somehow. You have my email and my phone number so text or email any information you can find out about her.”

“Brian, she isn’t going to like this.”

“Claire, you have two options.  Either you help me with this or I promise you, she will be on your doorstep before the end of the week.”

Ten minutes later, Claire was gone and Gus came down the stairs looking for one of the adults in his life.  Justin knew he would just have to wait to figure out what Brian was thinking. It was about 10:00 p.m.  “Do you mind telling me what the hell you were thinking with Claire? You have been upset since she moved in and now you volunteered to have her stay another month?”

“Justin, I am doing this for Gus.  Well, for me but because of Gus.  He asked why she was so sad and I realized I had no idea.  Yes, it is possible that she just has a black soul but I can’t shake the feeling now that something had to have started all this. I mean, our dad was an ass but he was a man of the time but Joan, I just don’t know.”

“Ok, Brian, I can’t say I totally understand but I think I have an idea what you’re saying.”  Justin stripped and got in bed. “But Brian, if she hurts you, I will take her out on a back road and drop her.”

“I’m ready for this, Sunshine.  Just like I am ready to make love to you.” Brian’s mouth moved down one of Justin’s arms and nuzzled his inner elbow letting his lips move further down and took one of his fingers in his mouth.

“Oh, my love, one more thing before you take me over the moon!”  Brian started sliding down Justin's abs and stopped at his navel.  His tongue darted in and around it. As Brian followed the trail that led lower Justin just sighed, “Oh, hell, forget it!  Take me hard and fast.”  Brian helped him flip and Justin stuck his ass in the air and then Brian moved in just like he asked, hard and fast.

“Oh, god!” Brian adjusted Justin’s height and that changed the pressure on his prostate driving him nearly insane. The next noise he made was that of someone totally out of control of all reasonable thought and with that, Justin gave in. He thrust himself back and came off his elbows leaning against Brian as Brian wrapped his arms around Justin’s chest as he thrust a few more times before falling into the same bliss as Justin. He held Justin so close they truly did feel like one body, one soul when they were like this.

As their bodies began to cool, they separated and dropped onto the mattress, pulling the blankets over their damp bodies. Justin turned and faced Brian loving the feel of Brian’s body against him. His mouth sought Brian’s and his lips played with Brian’s but soon Justin seemed to be in another place.

“Sunshine, where did you go?”

“I was just thinking about your mother.”

“I hope you were picturing her in bed with us.”

“Oh, Brian, how am I supposed to get that image out of my head now.  I was just wondering what could have happened to her. What can I do to help?”

Brian kissed him, “You are so amazing.  I will let you know if I need help but right now, I’m ready to sleep.  You wore me out.”

Justin relaxed in his arm and softly said, “I love you.” and then he was breathing deeply.

“Sleep well, Sunshine.” and with that Brian fell into a restful sleep.


The next week went smoothly. Claire had emailed that their mother’s maiden name was  Sullivan. Brian came home every night and after playing with the boys and helping put them to bed, together, Brian and Justin would look for clues about his mother’s life.  At the end of the week Brian got a text from Claire.   After putting the boys down, Brian and Justin sat with sharing the laptop in their bedroom.

“You know I told you Claire texted today.”

“Oh, ya, what did she have to say? Is she coming over this weekend?”

“She’ll be here Sunday and she is bringing the heathens.”

“Lock up Gus.  He doesn’t need to meet his cousins. What else did she have to say?”

She thinks Joan might be mom’s middle name. She saw the name Catherine Joan Sullivan printed somewhere.  She didn’t tell me where.”

“Well, we’ve looked up Joan Sullivan and found nothing.  Let’s see if we can find Catherine Sulivan somewhere.”

It was nearly midnight when Brian took the computer off Justin’s lap and pulled him to his feet.  “You, my darling husband, are going to come to bed with me.”

“But I think I have a lead…”

“That will be there in the morning.  Right now, I just need to hold my husband until we fall asleep.”

“That’s all you need?”

“It is. That doesn’t mean I would be upset if you wanted more.”

“Let’s go to bed, stud.”

After making love, Brian spooned up against Justin.  “In the morning I’m going to go see my mother’s reaction to the name Catherine Sullivan.”

“Do you think that’s wise?”

“I don’t really care.  Monday they evaluate her improvement and she may be down to much less help. I am going to talk to Tracy and see if she minds sleeping in the pool house and help her with breakfast.  Then she will have help getting dinner before she is home alone for the evening.”

“Sounds like you have a plan.” Justin responded.

Brian had felt Justin tense when he mentioned Tracy. “What is going on between you and Tracy? Ever since the party I get the feeling you two had words or something.”

“Or something. Ronni thinks she has a crush on me and well, there was a moment after you had passed out at the party. She told me it was just a thank you for helping but I think it was a little more on her part.”

“Do I have to be worried?” Brian rubbed his cock against Justin’s ass. 

“What do you think?” Justin turned into Brian’s long, strong arms and kissed him. “Good night, Bri.”

“One more thing before you close those beautiful eyes.  Let’s take the boys out tomorrow.  There is a dinosaur exhibition at the children’s museum. I think Gus would love to see his ancestors.”

“That would be great.  I haven’t been in the city for a couple weeks.”

“We can leave late in the morning and that way they can take naps on the way in and I will be done irritating my mother by then.”

“I can’t think of a way I would rather spend my day.” Justin relaxed against him.

“Good night, Sunshine.”


In the morning Brian and Justin agreed not to tell Gus where they were going.  They just promised him the family was going out for lunch in the city and Gus could pick where they ate. Gus was very excited about the day out with the family. When Brian and Justin told Ronni about their plans she made a suggestion.

“I totally understand if you want both boys with you but it might be nice for Gus if he had both of you to himself. Plus, Aaron would love the day with his dads and brother but he may not like the change in his schedule.”

“But, Ronni, you don’t have to work. You are supposed to be done at noon today.”

“Well, I was just dumped by my date so I was hoping Aaron would take my mind off the gorgeous man I was supposed to be with.”

“Who is he? Is he crazy canceling your date?”

“Actually, he is a good man.  His mother, who I know, was in the hospital and just got home and he doesn’t want her to stay alone.”

“Are you sure, Ronni? I know Gus would enjoy it.  I had thought about asking Mom but…”

“Don’t you dare.  I may go to a movie after you come home but don’t rush for me.” 

“Thanks, Ronni.  I am sure Gus will like that.” Brian kissed her cheek.  “And I think now I’m going to check on my mother.”  He picked up a tray that had he had put together with a carafe of coffee and some treats.

“Brian, don’t push her too much. She is still recovering and...well, you want to get answers from her.”

“If she hasn’t told me in 33 years I doubt she will tell me anything now but I do hope I see that ‘look’ that tells me she recognizes that name.” Brian leaned down and kissed Justin and Aaron, who was in his chair next to Justin. “Come and get me if I’m gone more than an hour.” With that he walked out the door.

“What are you up to, Justin?” Ronni filled his coffee cup again.

“Brian really wants to figure out what caused his mother to be the way she is so we have been doing a little research. We think she uses her middle name so Brian is sure she will react if we are right.”

“Hiding something? That makes perfect sense.  But what could be so bad that it made her that bitter?”

“Well, my guess is a lot of it is just her nature but maybe something happened.  Brian doesn’t know her family at all so it seems to be a mystery he wants to investigate now.  I think he is planning on hiring someone who knows how to do this kind of research but he wants to know we are on the right track.”

“I think that is a very good idea. Do you mind watching the boys while I make a couple calls.”

“Of course not.” Justin picked up Aaron and they went to play with Gus in the play area.  After setting Aaron in a bouncy seat Justin and Gus began playing with cars. 

As they played, the back door opened.  Justin looked up, “Oh hey, Em, what’s up?”

“We are just coming to pick up some food Ronni made for us.  She made some spicy meals for James which is fine with me because that hot stuff gets his blood flowing in all the areas, and I know you know what I mean.”

“Hey, Em, do you mind staying with the boys just a second? I need to run up to the studio and I don’t want to leave them alone.”

“No problem. I thought you might take them up there on a day like today so you and Gus could get your paint on while Aaron practices just being the most adorable little guy there is.”

“I would but we need to work out the ventilation up there before I want them to spend time up there.”

“If it is dangerous, you shouldn’t spend time up there, either.” 

“I crack the windows when I am up there but won’t do that with the boys when it is so chilly outside. I’ll be right back.”

By the time Justin came back, James had joined Emmett and was making truck noises while Gus giggled. “Hey, Justin, I mentioned the ventilation system and he says he knows someone who could take care of that for you.”

“James, you already do so much for us.”

“Justin, I am not that busy now that I don’t have to mow. I can be an extra set of hands and it shouldn’t take us long.”

“That would be greatl.  I’ll let Brian know you will be charging materials and just let us know when you need a check to pay whoever you hire. Do I know the person?”

“Remember the guy that drove you and Brian home, the old friend of mine?”

“What’s his name, Leo?” Justin asked as he picked up Aaron as he started to fuss.

“Len.”

“James, you aren’t thinking about bringing that man…” Em bristled.

“Emmett, I know he can do this and it will only be a couple days of work.”

“Well, I will be right there with you two.  I’m not letting the two of you alone.”

“Emmett Honeycutt,” James' accent was heavy as he took Emmett in his arms, “You are the only man I want.  You are the only many for me.”   They kissed and by the time James loosened his grip Emmett spoke.

“If you don’t need me, I think we have something to finish back at our place, in the kitchen, and the living room, and the bedroom…” Em kissed James again and the two men made their way to the door.


Brian held his tray of coffee and scones in one hand as he knocked on the door and entered. He had been told his mother would be alone a couple hours so he wasn’t surprised to find his mother alone.  What did surprise him was seeing how she was still struggling to  walk between the kitchen and the chair. He had thought she was faking but now he realized she wasn’t.

“Brian.” She managed to get his name out but it was slurred.

“I brought some fresh coffee and scones.”

She didn’t say anything but she sat down and moved her small table up to her. Brian set a cup of coffee on it for her and then the pastry that would melt even in her mouth.  They sat in silence as they both sipped on the dark, steaming liquid. Brian waited for a thank you but then chuckled out loud as he saw the look of bliss on his mother’s face for a split second when she tasted the scone for the first time.

“My struggle is funny?” Joan managed to spit out.

“It wasn’t that at all.  Do you really think I am that focused on your every move? What does make you so edgy?  I used to think it was because you didn’t know if Jack would come home drunk.  Then I thought it was because you were drunk. Now I wonder if it is the shadow of Catherine Sullivan that makes you so nasty.”

Joan started coughing, choking on a bite she had just taken. He handed her a glass of water and she took a swallow of it.  “Don’t know her.”

“Come on, as a kid in the Irish section of town and you don’t know a Catherine Sullivan?”

To make it easier she picked up her tablet and wrote, ‘Well, as a girl maybe.  Not now.’

“Why don’t I believe you? Maybe because of your reaction to the name.” He sat silently for a few moments.  He thought he would let it sink in and see if she responded to anything else.  

‘Maybe a distant relative’ she wrote.

“Ok, you can play it that way.  My family is going into town today. Do you need anything from your house? We can pick it up.”

“Leaving?” she questioned with a bit of fear in her eyes.

“We aren’t leaving until your help for the day arrives.” He saw her relax. “And there is always someone on the property.”

“Fags,” she said through pursed lips.

“Ha, is that supposed to make me upset? Justin and I may not have a perfect relationship but at least we know what love is about and we are both here to make a life for our boys.”  Her face didn’t change. “So is there anything we can pick up at your house or at a store for you?”

“Ronni shopped.” He could see Joan was getting tired.  She picked up her tablet once more. ‘Address book by phone. Want to call friends when I can speak better.’  She paused a second, ‘Would like Father Tom to visit.

“Back in the day, I would have liked a visit from him, too.” Brian chuckled.

“What?”

“Never mind, I have to go.  We have an outing planned and I can see your nurse walking up. Have a good day, Catherine.”

Before she could say anything, he was out the door but he was sure he had the name right.  Why would she have changed her name? He would find out. And if his mother wanted to see Father Tom so badly, maybe they would invite him over.  A night in the hot tub in full view of his mother...he would have to see if Father Butterfield had a boyfriend right now.  He almost felt sorry for the man. How did you live a lie like that for so many years?

By 11:00 Brian, Justin, and Gus were on their way to Pittsburgh.  Gus picked a fast food spot and after eating played for a few minutes in the play area. And then  when Gus didn’t want to stop playing they told him where they were going and then they could barely keep up with him. 

They spent more than two hours looking around and by the time they got to the car, Gus was asleep in Brian’s arms.  Brian put him in his carseat and kissed his cheek as he snapped everything in place. He then turned around and pulled Justin close. “I can’t remember having one day like this with my parents. He is going to have good memories of growing up, isn’t he?”

“He is going to have amazing memories and I think I took enough pictures today to get a book made of it so he can keep the memory close.”

“Damn I love you,” Brian pulled him close for one more kiss.  “Now we have to go by the house and pick up a couple things for Catherine.”

“Brian, don’t call her that.  There has to be a reason she doesn’t use it.”

“And we are going to find out why.” A few minutes later he pulled up in front of his childhood home. 

Justin got out but stayed by the car to keep an eye on Gus.

“Brian Kinney, is that you?”  An older woman walked up with a little dog on a leash.

“Yes, Mrs. Connor.”

“How is your mother doing? You know we aren’t close but I don’t want her to be ill.”

“She is getting better.  She should be home around the holidays.”

“And where are your manners? Who is this adorable young man?” Justin blushed and smiled at the friendly lady.

“This is my husband, Justin.” He watched for her reaction.

“Was that supposed to surprise me? I saw you sneaking around when you were a boy. I knew but it was none of my business.” With that she saw Gus sleeping in the back.  “Oh, what a beautiful boy.”

“Mrs. Connor, could I ask you a big favor? Would you mind letting your pup just roam right here by our car and keep an eye on our boy while we spend ten minutes in the house?”

“You go ahead.  He is obviously tuckered out and my Joey doesn’t care where he walks.

Brian and Justin went into the house and immediately grabbed the notebook his mother kept her numbers in and Justin walked over to a bookshelf with photo albums.  “Bri, who is in these books? They are too old to have you in them.”

“I have no…..oh, ya, grab those. They might have some answers for us.”

“I hope so. Well, let’s go.  I trust Gus with Mrs. Connor but I don’t want her to get cold.”

“Why do I get the idea you like that old woman?”

“She has lived there since I was little and more than once when my mom was in a mood, she would invite me in.” As they walked out he glanced at the kind woman and her house. It was really showing its age.  “I think I will send over a handy man and help her get the place back in shape.”

“You are a good man, Brian Kinney.” Justin kissed him as they walked up to the vehicle.

“I can see real love between you two.  Bless you.”

“Thank you! Mrs. Connor, did you know my mom when she was young, like before you moved in next door.”

“Well, it may be a city but this is a small village here.  You know everyone knew everyone.”

“Do you know anything about my mom’s family? I am trying to plan a surprise for her. Did she have any siblings?”

“If I remember right she had two or three brothers but they left home young. I don’t think they ever came back.”

“Was her maiden name Sullivan?”

“Well, yes.  She didn’t ever tell you that?”

“No, she never mentioned her family.”

“Then you don’t know about your aunt?

“She had a sister, too?”

“Well, yes.  Anna Claire was your mother’s twin sister. Everyone always said that she got all the sweetness and light and your mother ….. Well, I don’t want to speak bad of your mother.”

“Mrs, Connor, do you know where my aunt is now?”

“I can’t believe….. Last I heard she was in a nut house.  I know that isn’t the appropriate thing to call it.  Your aunt had a breakdown and some people think your mother may have been partly responsible.  Now, I just talked bad about her again.  I don’t like doing that.  You take that little one home and give him lots of love and snuggles.  I am sure you never got your share.”

“Mrs. Connor, I always knew you were there when I was little.  And we have another one at home that I am really starting to miss all of the sudden.” Brian kissed the weathered cheek. “You don’t know how much you have helped me this afternoon.”

As Brian pulled out, Justin took his hand, “You ok?”

 

“Ya, I’m still absorbing. I have an aunt who has a story.  Maybe she can give me some answers.”