- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to everyone who has commented - it's much appreciated :) 

 

Chapter 29

 

Brian sat in his office, looking at some emails on his computer screen. His mind kept drifting though and he couldn't really concentrate. He was counting the hours before the day was over and he could head to Justin's place so they could look at those houses together. When he had come to the office this morning and had seen the files from the realtor, he had just given them a quick glance and had then taken them to Justin's place, so the younger man ould look at them in more detail. At the end of the day Brian knew that he would be fine with whatever Justin decided, knowing that he would be happy as long as they were together in their new home.

 

Thinking about them looking for a new home brought back memories of that day when they had made the decision to move in together and thinking about that decision also made Brian's mind wander back to the other conversation they had had the same day as the conversation about moving in together. The conversation with Gus about them being in a relationship again.

 

As their conversation had taken so long, both Brian and Justin were now in a mad rush to make it in time for Gus' return. They had decided that Justin would head right home to get rid of his bag of clothes and Brian would pick up Gus from his school where he was supposed to return after his class trip.


After a quick shower and barely a word of goodbye, Brian had hardly made it to Gus' school in time for the bus to pull into the parking lot. When Gus got off the bus, he seemed happy enough to see his father, though he was slightly surprised that it was his dad picking him up and not Justin as had been agreed before.

 

Hey, sonny boy. How was your class trip?” Brian asked, as Gus came over to where Brian had waited for him, waiting for him to say goodbye to his friends and to pick up his bag.


They had texted a couple of times and talked once while Gus had been away on his class trip and he knew that Gus had seemed happy enough about the trip.

 

It was good. I am tired though. We hardly slept last night,” the boy admitted, underlining his statement with a big yawn.


“Well, I better get you home then,” Brian chuckled, taking Gus' bag and storing it in the trunk of his car while his son got into the passenger seat.

 

When Brian got into the car as well, Gus turned to him. “Where is Justin? I thought he was supposed to pick me up?” He asked with mild interest.

 

Something came up and he was running late, so I offered to get you,” Brian explained, trying to look as sincere as he could. Something had indeed come up. And several times, but he wasn't going to tell Gus about that.

 

Gus nodded, accepting that reply. “Cool. Are we going to your place?”

 

Nah, I am taking you home. He's home by now. He was just running late for picking you up,” Brian explained as he started the car and went into the direction of Justin's house.

 

Gus nodded once more, but seemed too tired to really say much. He leaned his head against the window and looked out at the street as they headed home.


Brian turned towards Gus when they stopped in front of a red traffic light. “I take it you had a party then last night?”

 

Not really a party. We're only 14,” Gus chuckled, sounding very tired indeed. “We spent the night talking with some of the girls from the room next door,” he admitted, his cheeks blushing slightly.

 

And I take it your teachers were not aware of this conversation with the girls happening?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow, sounding slightly amused. He could still remember all the shit he and Michael had gotten up to when they had been in high school and some of the stuff he and his mates on the soccer team had gotten up to when they had been away on trips. Sneaking into other people's rooms was only the beginning of what they had done.

 

Nooooo,” Gus said as if Brian was stupid. Of course the teachers hadn't known.


“And you were only talking?” Brian asked, now sounding more serious. Gus was only 14, but Brian was well aware of the stuff he had gotten up to at that age and if he was honest, it scared him that Gus was growing up and getting to that age of being a teenager. Both he and Justin had sat through very embarrassing but important conversations with Gus about always being safe, no matter what he did, be it with a girl or a boy and they could only hope that they had gotten through to the boy with the message of safety first.

 

When Gus blushed some more, but didn't reply, Brian had his answer. And it worried him if he was honest with himself.

 

Gus, I just want you to remember that whatever you do... please be safe, okay? Always use a condom, no matter what!”

 

Jeez, Dad! We didn't have sex. There were like ten people in the room,” Gus immediately exclaimed, looking quite outraged by what his father had been thinking. “We just kissed...”

 

And this girl... or boy... that you've been kissing,” Brian started, to be interrupted by Gus right away.


“A girl,” The boy admitted.

 

Okay, girl. Do you like her?” Brian asked, trying not to cringe at having asked this question. God, he sounded like he imagined a parent to sound and he had never imagined that he would be the one to have this conversation with Gus. He had only meant to tease his son a bit and now they had moved into this kind of conversation that was clearly more of Justin's territory than his. How had that happened?

 

I guess,” Gus said quietly after several seconds of silence in which he had just watched the street.

Brian nodded, noticing his son's embarrassment and feeling his own as well. He decided to let it rest for now, for both of their sakes. “Just be careful, okay? And... if you... have questions... you know you can talk to me or Justin? Preferably Justin.”

 

That actually made Gus chuckle which in return caused Brian to smile as well. “Just saying.”

 

Alright, Dad.” Gus snorted, as they pulled into their street, getting close to their house. “I'll keep that in mind.”

 

A minute later they pulled into their driveway and Gus made his way out of the car, immediately heading for the door of the house, leaving Brian to take care of his bag.


As Brian got the bag from his trunk, he grumbled something about 'teenagers', then followed his son into the house where he found Gus and Justin in a hug in the hallway.

 

It was obvious that Justin had already started with the questions and Gus gave him the same replies he had given Brian fifteen minutes earlier. The class trip had been good. He was very tired, but fine and yeah, it had been great.

 

When their hug ended, Justin nodded towards the stairs. “Why don't you go upstairs and lie down for an hour or two while I get some dinner ready?”

 

Sounds awesome,” Gus enthused and then immediately headed for his room. Both Brian and Justin looked after him, before Justin turned to Brian with a smile.

 

So you got demoted to porter?”

 

Looks like it,” Brian shrugged as he let go of the bag and left it in the hallway. When they heard the door to Gus' room close, they closed the distance between them and met in a quick kiss.

 

Missed you,” Justin admitted as he pulled Brian closer.

 

I was only gone for 45 minutes.”

 

Still...,” Justin whispered, before he broke the kiss and led Brian towards the kitchen.

 

When he poured coffee for both of them, he frowned when he saw the serious expression on Brian's face. “Everything okay? You're not getting cold feet, are you?”

Brian tried to smile at Justin and shook his head. “No, never.”

 

Then what is it? Something is clearly bothering you.”

 

It's just that... I think sonny boy might be straight. He kissed a girl last night,” Brian said seriously, his face twisting as if he was in pain. He looked up at Justin and had expected many reactions to his announcement, but not the one he got.


Justin burst out laughing. “And that's got you worried?”

 

What the hell do I know about straight sex?”

 

Well, you had it...so... I guess something,” Justin pointed out, still laughing.


“I was drunk as you very well know,” Brian reminded Justin, still looking slightly uncomfortable.

 

Well, one kiss doesn't mean he's going to have sex anytime soon,” Justin reasonably pointed out. “He's only 14.”

 

Brian rolled his eyes. “You don't want to know the shit I did when I was 14.”

 

Hey,” Justin said, noticing that this really seemed to bother Brian. He moved over and sat down at the kitchen table, pulling Brian down into the chair next to his, looking him right into his worried hazel eyes. “Gus is not you. And in any case, we had the talk with him. Both you and I. We prepared him as well as we could. I guess a reminder might be needed, but... really that's all we can do. You know there's not much more we can say or do. God knows I didn't pay attention to anything my parents were saying to me at that age,” Justin admitted only making Brian shudder more.

 

Hey,” he continued when he saw Brian's concerned face. “Gus is very responsible. Don't worry. He'll be fine.”

 

I gave him a reminder in the car on the way home. And... I told him to speak to us if he had questions. Preferably to you,” Brian said quietly.

 

Thanks, I guess,” Justin snorted, making Brian chuckle with his reaction.


“You're way better at this shit than I am,” the older man said, giving Justin's hand a squeeze.

 

That's not true and you know it. You're a great dad,” Justin said seriously, looking right at those hazel eyes he loved so much. “I know I haven't always told you when I should have, but... you are, Brian! Gus loves you so much and he's so lucky to have you.”

 

I'll remind you of that the next time he's pissed with me,” Brian winked, seemingly moving out of his mood for which Justin was grateful. He didn't like when Brian doubted himself and his ability as a father and Justin knew very well that he had played a big part in Brian doubting himself as a father and he felt bad about it. If he could make his actions from the last year undone, he would, but he knew that he couldn't, so all he could do was be there whenever Brian doubted himself and to make him believe that he was indeed a great father. Which he was. Gus loved Brian and Justin knew that the boy was very lucky to have Brian as his father. Brian would do anything to make Gus happy which Justin knew to be the truth without a doubt. All of Brian's actions over the last year had proven that and Gus was lucky to be loved by Brian like that.

 

Justin shrugged and laughed. “He's a teenager. It will happen more often than not. It won't change the fact that you're a great dad and he's lucky to have you.”

 

Underlining his statement, Justin leaned in and gave Brian a kiss. “Just like I am lucky to have you as well.”

 

Hmmmmm, I am the lucky one, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into the kiss, pulling Justin closer.

 

They kissed for a few minutes, before Justin pulled back with a smile on his face. “Maybe we're both lucky,” he said, his eyes shining with happiness.

 

When Brian nodded, Justin leaned in once more and gave him another kiss. “Shit, I wish we didn't have to prepare dinner. With Gus asleep there's so much we could do to better use that time.”

 

We can always order take-out,” Brian suggested, as their kiss intensified. “It would be a pity to waste this time on cooking.”

 

Take-out it is,” Justin agreed, before he got up and pulled Brian up with him, leading the way upstairs to his bedroom.

 

An hour later they came out of the bedroom again, freshly showered and freshened up.

 

Is Thai okay?” Brian asked as he made his way back into the kitchen. “There's this great place I know that has killer chicken pad thai.”

 

Leave it to you to know all the takeout places in Toronto,” Justin chuckled, before he nodded. “Thai sounds good.”

 

A man's got to survive somehow,” Brian gave back before he moved into the hallway and placed a call to the restaurant ordering their dinner.

 

Twenty minutes later Gus reappeared and made his way downstairs into the kitchen as well where he found his father and Justin deep in conversation.


“You're still here?” He asked as he looked at his father in slight confusion obviously not having expected to still see him at his home.

 

We thought we could all have dinner together,” Justin said as he set the table. “Your Dad ordered Thai for us. I hope that's okay?”


“Sure, sounds good,” Gus agreed before he got himself some juice from the fridge, then went to sit down at the table with his dad and Justin as they waited for the food to arrive.

 

And Justin and I needed to talk to you as well,” Brian announced, surprising both Gus and Justin. Yes, Justin had known that they had decided to tell Gus about their new relationship, but he had honestly expected that most of the conversation would be left to him as he knew how Brian felt about talking about feelings, so he was positively surprised when Brian had actually gotten the conversation started.

 

Is this about the kiss?” Gus groaned, covering his face with his hands. “It was just a kiss, Dad. Really.”

 

No, it's not about the kiss,” Justin quickly cleared up any confusion Gus might feel. “It's actually about...,” he started and threw a look at Brian. He smiled when Brian returned the look and finished the sentence.


“Us.”

 

Okay,” Gus frowned, obviously not having expected that. “So what about us?”

“No, us as in me and your dad,” Justin clarified which made Gus frown.

 

Okay, so what about you?” He asked when neither man continued.

 

Justin threw Brian another look, nodding at him in encouragement. He felt like Gus should hear this news from his father and not from Justin.

 

Justin and I... we've been...seeing each other again,” Brian started and frowned when Gus only nodded in reaction but didn't seem surprised by the news. If anything he seemed rather relieved. “For a while now.”

 

Yeah, I know,” Gus just replied, looking from his father to Justin and back. “What about it?”

 

What do you mean, you know?” Justin interjected, feeling as surprised as Brian looked.

 

I know that you've been seeing each other,” he replied, looking from his father to Justin and back, frowning when he saw their surprised faces. “Everyone knows.”

 

Everyone?” Brian croaked, feeling even more surprised. He turned to look at Justin and was relieved when the younger man looked as shocked by that statement as he felt.

 

Wait, you thought no one knew?” Gus said, starting to laugh at the surprised faces of his father and Justin in front of him. “Did you think you were very secretive in your sneaking around? Because... you weren't.”

 

So how long have you known about us?” Brian asked, trying to find out when they had been caught.


“A couple of weeks. But Emmett told me not to say anything and to wait until you were ready to tell me. He said to give you time to figure everything out between the two of you.”

 

Justin nodded, trying to make sense of what Gus was saying. “How did you know?”

 

I mean, it was weird when Dad started to show up almost every night for dinner and would then stay long after dinner. Long after I had gone to bed even. Sometimes even until early morning, only leaving minutes before I had to get up for school,” Gus started only to be interrupted by Justin at that point.


“You knew that he spent the night here?” Justin's eyes had widened and he looked like he had been caught in the act.

 

Yeah,” Gus replied, making it sound as if both Justin and his father were incredibly slow. “Wait, you really thought I didn't notice?”

 

That's what we thought,” Brian admitted and Justin nodded in agreement.

 

You didn't think I would notice a car being turned on in the driveway right outside my window at 7am?”

 

Both men looked slightly embarrassed, but nodded.

 

Well, I did. And I could see that it was Dad's car leaving the driveway when I looked out the window. Just as I know that you've been spending some nights at the apartment, too,” Gus announced, looking at Justin.

 

How?” Justin asked as he ran a hand over his face in embarrassment and disbelief.

 

Your brand of shampoo and shower gel in Dad's shower? And your brand of aftershave in his bathroom? I mean, really?” Gus looked from his father to Justin and back. “How stupid do you think I am?”

 

When did you get into my ensuite?” Brian just asked in confusion, wondering why Gus would know what was in his bathroom when he usually used the guest bathroom in the apartment and not Brian's ensuite.

 

That time when the plumber was checking the pipes in the other bathroom,” Gus replied as if Brian was stupid.


“Right,” Brian nodded, remembering the day two weeks ago when there had been a problem with the tap in that bathroom and the plumber had been there while Gus had been doing his homework.

 

And Emmett knows as well?” Justin forced out, looking at Gus in confusion. “Did you tell him?”

 

No, he figured it out himself, I think. I guess he was calling at your place one too many times with you not being there, but being here instead,” Gus explained as he looked at his father.

 

How would he know where I was?”

 

One time he asked me if I knew where you were. He was trying to talk to you about some event at Kinnetik, but couldn't get you on your mobile and at home. So he just asked me if you had mentioned anything about going out and I told him that you were here. Had been here all evening. So...sometimes he would just call me and ask me if you were here when he couldn't reach you at home. I guess he just figured it out from there.”

 

Brian nodded, then sighed in frustration. “Great.”

 

He's happy for you,” Gus pointed out with a smile. “As am I. And Daphne and Ethan.”

 

Ethan?” Justin croaked, looking at Gus from wide eyes. “He knows as well?”

 

I told you that everyone knows. Aren't you listening to me?” Gus frowned, wondering if both his dad and Justin were even listening to him at all.

 

I just didn't think he would be part of everyone,” Justin admitted, not quite sure how he felt about the fact that his ex-boyfriend knew about his new relationship before Brian and he had announced said relationship themselves.

 

He's happy for you guys,” Gus said with a smile on his face. He and Ethan had been hanging out about once a month after Justin and Ethan had ended things. As Ethan had promised, he had stayed a part of Gus' life and they regularly talked on the phone and texted. Every once in a while they tried to get together and hang out, watching a movie or going out for a burger. Things between Justin and Ethan had been civil even though they mostly kept their interactions to a minimum. Justin knew that he had hurt the man and he had honestly loved Ethan and had felt bad about hurting him. It had never been his intention to hurt him and he hoped that one day Ethan would believe him. He knew that he was far from being one of the people Ethan wanted to be around, but he had appreciated the efforts the man had made to stay in touch with Gus, whose stepfather he had basically been for two years, therefore Justin had stayed out of the relationship Gus and Ethan had forged and had left that between Gus and Ethan.

 

How did he find out?” Brian frowned, able to understand how Emmett might have found out, but Ethan?

 

Which brings me to the most obvious sign: Your goofy smiles and the way you look at each other whenever you are in each other's company.”

 

I don't have a goofy smile,” Brian immediately interjected, but shut up when Justin just threw him a look that said differently.

 

You do, Dad. And it's really visible whenever you're around Justin and think no one is watching you.”


“He's right,” Justin admitted with a smile when Brian looked doubtful. “You have a goofy smile when you think no one is watching you.”

 

The last time he picked me up, he saw you both here,” Gus explained. “I guess that was enough for him to know what is going on. He asked me later that day and when I told him that I wasn't sure, he said that he hoped it would work out for you guys and that he was happy for you.”

 

Well, so much for that big announcement,” Brian sighed as he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. “And you? How do you feel about that?”

 

Gus shrugged. “I am just happy that you two aren't fighting any longer,” he announced honestly. “I like you a lot better this way.”

 

So do I,” Justin agreed, before he took Brian's hand and gave it a squeeze. “So do I.” He then turned back to Gus and looked at him. “Gus, there is something else we want to talk to you about.”

 

Okay,” Gus replied, looking at Justin, wondering what else there was to say.

 

Your Dad and I... now that we're back in a relationship... we have decided that we want to move in together.”


“Cool! So Dad will move in here?” Gus' face lit up in obvious excitement. “That's awesome. All of us together again like a real family.”

 

Brian smiled at Gus' obvious excitement. “Yeah, like a real family. Only that... Justin and I have decided to look for a new place. A new house. A house that we can make our home.”

 

Okay,” Gus said slowly, his face turning into a frown. “But we'll stay here in Toronto?”

 

Yes, here in Toronto,” Justin confirmed. “Your dad's company is here, my agent is here. Your school and your soccer team.”

 

They could both see the immediate relief on Gus' face. “So I can stay on the team and in my school?”

 

Yes, you can. We don't want to change our lives completely. We just want to find a new home here for us as a family,” Brian confirmed.

 

Both Brian and Justin watched as Gus got up from his chair then and walked around to their side of the table. He threw his arms over their shoulders, one arm around Brian, one arm around Justin and pulled them both close.

 

That's so cool! I am so happy! We're going to be a real family again!”

 

Brian smiled as he thought back to Gus' obvious excitement. Ever since they had talked to him a week ago, he and Justin had spent more time together and had stopped sneaking around. Since everyone had figured out the truth about their relationship anyway, what was the point?

 

Now they only needed to find a house they all liked and then they could finally be a family again. And that thought made Brian happier than he had ever thought he could be. Knowing that he had his Sunshine and his sonny boy back in his life was all he needed to be happy.