- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11 - THE UNCAGED BIRDS BEGIN TO SING AND THE CRONE CAWS


JEROME


“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I wish my phone was in my pocket, so I could record this. My despair and panic deepen when Brian pockets it.


Justin pulls my face around. “You get it back after we’ve reached an accommodation. Obviously, we can prove your nefarious intentions. Question is, do you want to stay out of jail or be spread over the internet much like you spread your favours? Come on, offer me something.” 


He means information, not you.” Brian adds, making Justin frown. “What? I was making sure he understood.”


“I’d have thought that that was obvious!” Justin blusters. “Do you need proof of our proof?”


“Oh please, could you?” I snark, his grip tightens.


“The last time you two fornicated was in his home. You were wearing a black mesh top with a silver chain with a cross. Are you Catholic? Do you go to confession? You arrived wearing a butt plug and a cock ring.” I start to sweat. “He neither kisses or touches you. Precautions, he said.” He sips his drink. “Need I go on?”


“No!” I groan. “Yes, I took money, which he gave, I didn’t ask for!”


“You’re saying you were an opportunistic hooker?!” Brian scoffs. “So if it wasn’t blackmail, why did you keep contacting him?”


“He wanted a return visit?” I state.


“Hedging your bets or stating a fact?” Justin releases my chin, wiping his fingers with a grimace. “His representatives are this close to persuading him to chatter.”


“So this Brian Kinney isn’t his boyfriend?” 


JUSTIN


This Brian Kinney’s nostrils are flaring with indignation! I shall soothe his ego later.


“Who this Brian Kinney is is irrelevant.” I retort. Jerome nodding almost gets him a slap from Mr Irrelevant, who is taking out his phone. Why?!


“Hey, Mike, how are you?” Brian drawls, smirking. Internally I’m gnashing my teeth. “Yes, we’re speaking to him now. I’m sure we can reach an accommodation. You go and enjoy your evening with your new charge. Where’d you find him? Popperz huh? I thought you were with that manager guy? No longer your jam because he’s too old. Got it.” He leans back looking surprised. Jerome is looking pissed, ah Mr Kinney is a very clever fox! “You’re kidding me, you’re cooking him dinner, that’s a first isn’t it? Okay, you go enjoy, sorry what, oh well that’s not something I needed to know.” He hangs up looking sickened. “I just can’t understand the guy. I don’t get how anyone can overlap his buddies. I’d have problems keeping track. His wife, Linds, is very understanding though, and what with his clubs as well. But back to your questioning Justin, sorry to have interrupted.”


“Wife? That’s his wife!” Jerome hisses before taking a few deep breaths. “Explains a lot.” He looks embarrassed. “Yes, I took the money. Yes, I made a couple of phone calls but only to get a return visit, which he deliciously took out on my ass. That’s not blackmail.”


“Sorry, wait, what? You called him for a return visit?” Brian frowns. 


“Hmm. He’s very good. Him coming out kinda ruined it for me, killed that real quick.”


Brian and I exchange looks, something is definitely not right here. “Excuse me, I just need to make a phone call.” 


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Find out what you need?” I ask an almost smiling Justin, he nods. “Which was?”


“How much did Drew Boyd pay you and how?”


“Five hundred and in cash.” Jerome fiddles with his glass, a blush dousing his cheeks.


“And where did you two go at it?”


“At his place in Alleghany Shredders, he has a mansion there.” He goes dreamy eyed. “It is so nice, not at all like I thought it would be.”


“Follow me, you two, we need more privacy.” He leads us to another room. I'm surprised to see Boyd on screen. “Sit down, Jerome.” He nervously complies, whilst Boyd looks a combination of confused and pissed. “Play it.” As Jerome listens to his threats to Boyd, he looks incredulous, shaking his head, muttering and scowling. “It’s you but it’s not isn’t it?”


“That fucking bastard!” He sits down. “He set me up, why?! I’ve done nothing but be loyal to him. He was one of my fantasy guys, is that why he set me up with him, oh god with them?!” Slowly tears roll down his face, and realisation begins to dawn with me. How utterly power hungry Michael has become! We sit quietly and let him gather himself. “I didn’t make those calls. I said the words, but never called you to say them like I said to these guys. You’re my golden fuck goose.”


“Thanks. So now what?” Drew sighs.


“You go. We’ll handle this.” Justin shuts off the screen then nods at me.


“Jerome.” My tone is gentle, Justin hands him a napkin and a brandy. “We need the names of any other guys that you’ve been set up with. Will you give them to me?”


“Yeah.” He sniffs. “I knew he was a bit shady, but never thought he would do this to me.”


THE LOFT - A WEEK LATER


TED


I pace nervously. This has been one heck of a week! Ben is waiting for Daphne to come up, turns out she knows Blake very well, what a small world! 


After Jerome found out how Michael was using him as the voice of blackmail and he told them who else he slept with - his humiliation over being duped and used was complete when I confirmed at least four of them are repped by Rage PR.  Also, the house that he thought was Drew’s turned out to be, after some Emmett digging, owned by them too. 


However, it was Emmett who came up with the masterstroke of getting Drew back into Michael’s gleeful grasp. Drew called him in a panic saying he has an STD and he thinks that Jerome gave it to him. Michael, of course, promised to sort it out as long as Drew ended all associations with Brian Kinney, including a very public but carefully orchestrated dumping having found his true love - for his true love, read someone else that Michael can manipulate or pay!


“They're here.” Ben smiles reassuringly, chuckling when I stop pacing and start jogging - on the spot.


“Tea!” I declare, hurrying to the kitchen. “He always liked tea!”


“And your nerves are going to leave you with at least third degree burns!” I freeze slowly, turning to the door. “Hello, Ted.” Blake smiles, one filled with warmth and amusement. “You’re looking well.”


THE DOME - SAME TIME


OFFICE


MICHAEL


Jerome cuts his eye at Patric, his replacement whilst he's on medical leave, which he doesn’t know about yet. Little does he know he’s replacing him in every aspect of my life. Yes, he’s a great guy, but I think I grew bored and him having put it about, yes to my advantage, tainted him in my eyes. 


“As I said, Jerome, he’s a new hire, I wanted you both to meet. Patric, if you wait at the bar, I’ll be there shortly.”


“Okay, boss.” He smirks, blowing me a kiss. I chuckle at his antics. Be They stop when the door shuts. “We need to talk.”


“About what? And what are you hiring him for?”


“As the manager here.” His confusion, which used to be cute, is now cringy. “I had a call from Drew Boyd.” He lights up. “He’s got an STD, which he didn’t have before you, so where’d you get it and why didn’t you tell me?” He blinks rapidly. “I think I must have sensed something was off with you. You could’ve given it to me if we had done anything.” 


“I didn’t know I had anything,” He whispers. “Oh fuck, what am I gonna do?!”


“Clear your locker and never come back again!” Lindsay declares, who was in the ante room, biding her time - she loves firing people. “You put The Dome under immense reputational damage, we run a clean house here. When was your last healthcheck?!”


“I’m so sorry! Please don’t fire me!” He pleads. We're unmoved.


“We will give you six months severance for services rendered, which is more than you deserve, you need to sign this then get out of our sight!” She puts the folder in front of him. “I shall leave you to that, Michael!”


TWO HOURS LATER


He’s damn right I’m the best ever! Unlike Jerome, who towards the end would just lie there, he's into this. I can’t hold back anymore and cum, he’s seconds later. 


“You're so tight!” I declare. He moans as I withdraw and dispense with the condom.


“Can I have a shower?” He’s so adorable. “Then go back to yours to cook you a lovely meal.” I stare at him. “What? You’ve been good to me, the least I can do is make you a meal.” 


“Of course, and thank you. Let me call you a cab for our place in Shredders, that way we can restart what we just finished.” He grins, his delicious ass disappearing from view. That’s another thing with Jerome that annoyed me, he never invited me back to his place, we always did it here. At least with Patric, he’s showing proper gratitude! 


Speaking of delicious asses and gratitude, I do up my jeans, down a glass of water, then reach for my phone. “Hi, Justin? It’s me, Michael, Michael Novotny. How are you? Did I catch you at a bad time? No, oh good. Well, I think that it’s time for us to reconvene our negotiations to represent you. And also, I’m not sure if you’ve seen the latest Drew Boyd press, well it could turn into a scandal, and it concerns you. Well your association with Brian Kinney. It seems him living up to his playboy reputation has come back to haunt him. He’s given Drew Boyd an STD.” 


I enjoy his gasp, and twenty minutes later, we’ve got a meeting booked. However, once more, it has to be in the diner. If it wasn’t so hot to watch him eat, I would insist we met at the office!


THE LOFT - AN HOUR LATER


BLAKE


I’m so glad that Ted and I have made our peace. When I called Leon, he insisted on coming over with Teddy - whose namesake doesn’t know about him yet - to make amends for his part in things. Ted wanted to brush that aside, but when Ben explained it is part of his healing process, he accepted it. 


Daphne had called Gus to plan another prong of attack. Despite her disinterest in what they do, Lindsay has her own ears and eyes. 


“It’s so simple.” I help Ben with the tea and cordials. “It gets her in a place she truly loves, the art scene. She does love to preen on the pedestal of her perfection.” Ben and I both snicker at Ted’s grimacing. “If Justin was to merely suggest that they do a show together, to her, not Michael, she will ensure that Michael does exactly what Justin wants to get her there.” 


“Okay, I’ll make sure he does that.” Brian growls from the phone, no doubt he’s smarting about how Michael is planning to denigrate him in the future.  “In fact, I’ll make sure he does that now, get that out of the way.” 


His abrupt disconnection has Ben and Daphne chuckling. “What?” I frown, Ted has a gentle smile too.


“He and Justin were most likely making out.” Ben explains, I join in the smiling, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Brian Kinney, which of course I didn't tell Michael, which Brian appreciated.


“Yo, Daph, you in there?!” 


“I’ll get it.” I smile. I’m greeted by a boy and a very cute little girl. “Can I help you, young sir?”


“Yes, Blake.” Daphne smiles. “This is Gus and Pheebs, she’s our daughter.” I gape. “He took after his Dad.”


“Mr Teddy!” Pheebs cries, toddling quickly towards him.


Two hours later, his namesake is having his belly rubbed by Pheebs, and Leon’s idea of me, to all intents and purposes, coming back in Ted’s life is enthusiastically embraced!


BRITIN - FIVE MINUTES LATER 


LOUNGE


JUSTIN


I sigh and squirm. “Want me to stop?” Brian worriedly lifts his hands from my butt, he grins as I put them back. “You’ve got a kneadable ass.” He declares, pushing a hand down my jockeys. I grunt slightly at that pull. “Wanna make some room?”


“Let’s both do that.” I breathe, whilst nibbling his ear.


“Hmmm.” He rumbles whilst reaching between us to loosen our jeans. I jerk slightly at the heat of our skin. As the kiss deepens, I can’t help but grind, it takes me a few seconds to register he’s stopping. “Great idea, wrong place and time.” 


“Yeah.” I kiss his nose, his smile is both lazy and relieved. “I'm going to call Lindsay now, do you know what happened with Sienna?” 


“Oh yeah!” He pops my ass, I flick his ear, he doesn't flinch. “Kneadable and poppable!” He declares.


I move so that I’m resting against his chest. He slowly zips our jeans up, before resting his hands on my thighs. “Ems got her muzzled. Although it didn’t take much.” I look up. “She was fed up with the men being able to use the house, when she wasn't. A rule imposed by Lindsay.” 


“Weird.” I grumble before entwining our fingers, he squeezes them before kissing a trail up my neck. “So how do I say what I want to say?”


MICHAEL AND LINDSEY'S HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


“Michael, I’ve always left this to you, playing the dutiful wife in the background. Now this is my turn and you’re not stuffing it up because I get to be closer to Justin. You’d be lusting from afar if not for me.”


“That’s as maybe, but do you really think a joint show is something you want to be advertising right now? It seems like a bolt from blue.” 


“A bolt from the blue?!” I snipe. “I’ve been known in art circles for years! If anyone’s a supposed bolt from the blue it’s you - remember the book you stole from Ted?!”


“We stole!” He carps; I knew he would say something like this, so toss it on the desk. He rolls backwards to avoid being splashed by coffee. “Watch it, these are new pants!”


“Get them dry cleaned or replaced!” I retort whilst tapping the cover. “Where does it say my name? I was an afterthought, remember the two lines thanking me for my support during the creative process?”


MICHAEL


I keep my head down whilst cleaning to hide my smirk. Oh how I enjoyed getting that over both her and Ted. He was easy enough. I had to give her a dummy copy with her as co-author, but then, oh dear, when it was released, her name was gone and it was all because of her approving the wrong mock-up, pity!


“This is mine, Michael, you’re not dealing with Ted.”


“Lindsay, as I said at the time, I don’t know how that happened and it was too late when we realised.”


“Of course, Michael.” She returns, gathering her coat and heading to the door. “Remember there’s two sides to your no guts no glory ideology. See you tomorrow at 1000.” 


Before I can follow her for an explanation, a call from Kip comes through. “Can you make it quick, I’ve got to go.” I declare.


“Sure, I’m just letting you know that I’m going to be in the VIP lounge in the club tonight.”


“Why would I need to know this?” I scowl.


“Lindsay’s about eh? Got it. I heard about Jerome, good idea.”


“Yes, yes, we thought it was best” I head to the door as I hear sounds of her car starting, I need to speak to her before she goes, to get clarity on her last snarky remark. “Kip, just do what you want there, I’ve got to go!”


“Fine, see you around ten.” 


I hang up and dash out, just catching Linday before she gets into my, not her, car! “What wrong with your car that you have to take mine, and what did you mean earlier?!”


“I’m not taking your disgusting vehicle, it's bad enough that I’ve got to move it so I won’t be late!”


“Oh, I see.” I wait for her to sort that out, making sure she doesn’t bump it. It takes her 20 minutes, which of course was deliberate. “So are you going to explain your comment?”


“Kip’s drivel won’t cut it. You may have gotten Boyd back, but you still need to find someone to do the writing. What if one of the conditions is that his ghost writer is Ted?”


I burst out laughing. “As I said, all association with Kinney, including the clown Ted will be cut, in fact I will ghost write it!”


She stares for a few seconds before starting the car. “Stop believing your own hype! You stole his words, not his talent!”


She leaves me in the driveway, spluttering at both her audacity and car fumes. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.